• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 7,480 Views, 250 Comments

Trapped in the Mirror of Worlds - Silver_Wing



It was supposed to be a simple day of helping Grandma clean out the attic. Then that mirror fell on me. Now I'm stuck in some strange place, in a strange body, with no idea if I'll ever make it home...

  • ...
17
 250
 7,480

Renovations, Part One...

The introducing of the Timber Wolves to Gale and to Clyde went about the same as it had with Sky Flare. They did not like the idea of having them around at all, but with Sky Flare in my corner, we managed to convince them both that the wolves would be a great asset to the Guild and were here to stay.

At Sky Flare’s suggestion, we didn’t tell them that I was using magic to control the Timber Wolves. It really was a taboo type of magic and was sure to get us a meeting with the Princesses. So instead, we explained it off as just another one of my weird quirks. Like my strange fighting style, it was just a trick I had brought with me from my old home beyond Equestria.

I hadn’t really liked the idea of lying like that, but Sky Flare had made her point. It was either spin a little story like that, or lose the chance at living in this forest that I felt so close to.

Gale and Clyde were equally stunned by my apparent knack for commanding the Timber Wolves and were greatly impressed. And while they didn’t go out and start cuddling with them, they quickly lost their sense of fear of them. They also found the name Timber Wolves to be rather fitting, once Sky Flare had explained her reasoning to them.

It really was a blessing, having her help. Already, she’d done so much I never would have been able to accomplish on my own, and I was truly grateful to her for it. Right down to dealing with Gale. I had no idea what Sky Flare had said to him, but after all was said and done, he told me that so long as the Timber Wolves didn’t step out of line and attack anypony, he’d omit them from his reports to the Princesses entirely, for now anyway. I was grateful for that too, because if Zecora could sense the new magic in my bracelet, then I was certain the Princesses would be able to as well. I’d have to figure a way around them finding out about the Timber Wolves somehow, but I’d wait to solve that problem. I had more pressing issues to tend to at the moment.


At dawn, I had left for Canterlot, with Clyde, Gale and Sky Flare in tow. Clyde and Gale would see what supplies we could get from Ponyville and purchase what they could with the bits we currently had. While myself and Sky Flare would retrieve our estimated startup cost from Canterlot, and any supplies we could carry while we were there.

I had been a little reluctant to go, as that would mean leaving the Timber Wolves unsupervised. But, they had proven to be no threat to me or the others since I had introduced them. With or without the active influence of Perdias’s magic, they seemed to have been made quite loyal now.

Still, it was lucky that Canterlot was so close to the Everfree, as it meant I could make it there and back in one day, by flight anyway. So even if Clyde and Gale got back first, I wouldn’t be too far behind, just in case something did go wrong.

Ponyville too was conveniently located right at our doorstep. So, assuming they had a lumber store, we’d be using them for most of our renovating needs.



Slowing to a hover high above Canterlot, Sky Flare and I went over our plans for the day a final time.

“I’m going to go find Goldenrod and see what she thinks of our list,” I said, “We’ll meet back up at the Palace gates in three hours.”

Sky Flare nodded. “And while you do that, I’m going to check in with my parents, then do a price check on some of the things Ponyville isn’t likely to have.”

“Sounds good,” I said, “And good luck with your parents.”

Sky Flare sighed at me then dove for her house.

I meanwhile, set my sights on the Palace and started my search for Goldenrod. I’d never been to the treasury before, so I was forced to ask a Guard for directions. It was below ground, similar to the arena I had fought in for Luna’s demonstration, only not quite a deep. It looked very much like a simple bank office, with several doors off the back wall. My mind couldn’t help but visualize a massive pile of gold and jewels behind them, but I had no real idea of what the wealth of royalty was here. For all I knew, it could be a room full of diamond studded horseshoes or golden carrots.

I shook the thought from my mind and looked around. There were nearly a dozen Guards standing at attention around the place, and a half dozen or so more ponies that I could see sorting through papers and organizing one item or another. It took me a bit, but among them, I finally managed to spot Goldenrod and trotted over to her.

I could tell the Guards were all watching me closely, but I wasn’t doing anything wrong, so I was confident in my actions. Whether they sensed this or not, I couldn’t tell, but they left me alone for the moment.

“Good day, Mrs. Goldenrod.” I said politely, trying to get her attention.

Goldenrod glanced up at me from behind her paperwork and smiled. “Ah yes, Silver Wing,” she said, “I had been wondering when I would see you again.” She looked me over from hoof to head and smiled anew. “I see all your limbs are intact and you are none the worse for wear. That must mean you have braved the wilds of the Everfree and are now here to finish our meeting from a week ago?”

I nodded. “I have a list of items all written up now,” I said, “Even got a carpenter to help with the assessment.”

“Good,” she said, “That should make things easier. The list, if you please?”

I withdrew the list from my vest and handed it to her with my magic.

She eyed me curiously for a moment, then took the list with her own magic.

I noticed her look and smiled. “Magic bracelet,” I said, “Never leave home without it.” I’d been getting so used to using the bracelet Dawn had given me that I was drawing on its magic almost without realizing it. It was like a hand to me now, and whenever I needed something grabbed or moved, I just used it without thinking.

“How remarkable.” Goldenrod said, then she began reading over my list. She nodded to herself a few times while she scanned the items we had written down, then looked back to me when she had finished. “Everything seems to be in order and will add up to a reasonable amount,” she said, “I should have your bits collected come the morning.”

“The morning?” I said.

“Why yes,” Goldenrod stated, “These things take time Silver Wing, and must be approved beforehoof by either Princess Celestia or Princess Luna.”

“Right…” I nodded, “I’ll be sure to come back here first thing tomorrow then.”

“Until then.” Goldenrod said dismissively.

She returned to her paperwork and I headed back towards the Palace gates. ‘I could fly back to the Guild with Sky Flare, then return again come the morning, but that’d be a waste of energy, and of the day…’ I thought. I sat down where I was to meet back up with Sky Flare and sighed. Delays always annoyed me, but they were to be expected with something like this.


Time passed, and eventually Sky Flare dropped down beside me and smiled. “Ready to go?” she asked.

She seemed quite pleased about something, so I assumed she had a good chat with her parents. “Not quite,” I said, “I won’t be able to get the bits till the morning.”

Sky Flare frowned and sat down beside me. “So, what do you wanna do then?” She asked, “Fly back tonight, then come back again in the morning?”

“Not really,” I admitted, “But I don’t really want to just sit around here doing nothing all day either.”

“Well, we could spend the night at my place, but…” Sky Flare trailed off.

“But then we’d have to deal with Breezy?” I chuckled.

“Exactly,” she laughed, “I already told them I was leaving tonight anyways, so I’d rather leave them be for now.”

“Well, you don’t have to stay,” I offered, “You can head back tonight, and I’ll catch up in the morning.”

“Nah,” Sky Flare said, waving my comment off with a hoof, “I think I’ll stick around. Don’t want you getting lost or anything again.”

I rolled my eyes at her and glanced back at the Palace. “Guess it’s my room at the palace then.” I said.

“Yeah, how terrible.” Sky Flare teased.

“You have no idea.” I laughed.

“Actually, I do,” Sky Flare said, “Or at least, I have an old friend who does.”

“Hmm?” I looked at her and tilted my head. Sky Flare hadn’t really talked to me about her friends. She mostly just talked about history or fighting, or any of a thousand topics she had memorized, so I was curious about this mention of a friend of hers. “And who’s that?”

“Just a Unicorn I’ve known since I was a filly,” she explained, “Her family’s one of the wealthiest in Canterlot, so she’s always had everything she could ever want. Everything, except the freedom to be herself...”

“Ah.” I said nodding my head. I knew that type of tale. Someone may have everything but if their parents, or grandparents, or family name is too big, then they don’t have the freedom to branch out and do what they actually want to in life. It was stupid really. People should be free to make their own choices, not be bound by the choices and legacies of others. In my mind anyways.

“I know what you’re probably thinking,” Sky Flare sighed, “What does it matter, right? She has everything she could want. Not having to worry about anything most Pony folk have to is most ever pony’s dream...”

“Not what I was thinking at all,” I said, “I know your friends type. What good is having the world when you’re forced to look at it from the other side of a window.”

Sky Flare eyed me curiously for a moment, then nodded. “I’m impressed,” she said, “Most ponies don’t think that way.”

“Sky,” I smirked, “What have I ever done that falls in line with most ponies?”

“True.” she laughed. She smiled thoughtfully at me for a moment, then rose to her feet. “Come on. I think she’d like to meet you.”

“Your friend?” I asked.

She nodded. “Unless you have something better to do with the day?”

I couldn’t think of anything off the top of my head, so I agreed. “Sure,” I said, “Who is she?”

“Her name’s Ebon,” Sky Flare explained, “Ebon Ivora. Her family moved to Canterlot when she was just a filly, so we went to school together.”

I thought about that for a moment then asked. “But I thought you said she was a Unicorn?”

“She is.” Sky Flare said.

“So, how’d you two go to school together?” I asked, “I thought Unicorns and Pegasai went to different schools?”

Sky Flare sighed at me and shook her head. “I don’t know how things were where you’re from,” Sky Flare said, “But here, every pony is welcome. We do have Unicorn specific schools for teaching beginner, or advanced lessons, just like we have the Aerial Flight Academy for teaching advanced flight techniques to Pegasai, but we do have normal schools too.”

“Right…” I said, “Sorry.” I should have assumed that was the case, but as usual, I didn’t. I’d only ever heard of the Magic Kindergarten Dawn went to, or the Academy I had gone to, but the thought of other schools being around should have crossed my mind.

Sky Flare just shook her head at me and took to the skies. I followed after her, and soon enough we were landing in the yard of an enormous mansion. It rivaled the Princesses Palace in grandeur, but it wasn’t nearly as big.

“Mind what you say while we’re here Silver,” Sky Flare warned, “Around others, Ivora’s got an image to uphold. So be polite and to the point, and if you have any class hidden up your wings, lay it on. Otherwise, wait till we’re alone to be… You.”

I frowned at her warning and nodded my understanding. I may not be the most refined person in the world, but I wasn’t that bad. At least, I didn’t think I was…

Sky Flare knocked on the door, and a moment later, a large Unicorn dressed in a butler’s shirt and tie opened the door and looked us over.

“Ah, Ms. Sky Flare,” he said, “We were not expecting you. Allow me a moment to see if Ms. Ebon Ivora has time to see you.”

“Of course.” Sky Flare said. She spoke curtly, and her voice held none of the attitude her tone usually carried with it.

I eyed her at the change in her tone and noticed she stood more erect and regally now. I emulated her posture, but I had never been good at being overly formal. I could act the part if needed, but it just wasn’t me. I grew up on the mountains, in a forest, surrounded by bears and mountain lions. I may have moved to the city and became a police officer when I was older, but my roots were with an axe and a rifle, not with champagne and caviar.

A few minutes later, the butler returned and motioned for us to enter. “Ms. Ebon Ivora will see you now,” he stated, “This way please.”

Sky Flare nodded and followed after him, and I wasn’t far behind.

The outside of the place palled in comparison to the inside. Every inch was polished and not a speck of dust could be seen. Statues, carvings, and all manner of valuable looking items adorned the entryway. I was impressed, but I couldn’t help smirk a little at all the statues of ponies.

The Butler checked our hooves over, then, content they were clean, led us up a marble staircase and down a long hallway to a door at the end.

“If you need anything, please let me know.” The butler said. He opened the door with his magic and motioned for use to enter.

I followed Sky Flare in, and waiting for us, seated elegantly on a large sofa, was a Unicorn. She had long, glossy black hair that was parted more to one side, and a nearly sparkling coat of pure white. Her hooves were the same black as her hair and faded slowly up the length of her lower arms. A simple, but elegant choker rested around her neck with a rich royal blue sapphire set in its center.

She smiled at us as we entered and the butler closed the door behind us, while he remained outside to give us our privacy.

The room was ornate, with large marble pillars rising up to a high ceiling, and a massive bay window covered the far wall. It was impressive to behold, but I couldn’t help think this was nothing compared to what must lay in the rest of the house.

As the door closed, Sky Flare’s posture relaxed and she shook her head. “Doesn’t he ever get tired of calling you by your full name?” she laughed.

“I am afraid not,” Ebon Ivora sighed, “But this is unexpected. Vhat brings you here Sky?”

It took me a moment to place it, but this Ebon Ivora spoke with a vaguely Russian sounding accent. That surprised me, and I couldn’t help wonder what caused there to be so many different accents here in Equestria when everyone seemed to live together for the most part.

“We had some time to kill,” Sky Flare said casually, “So I figured I’d introduce you to Silver Wing here.” She gestured to me with a nod of her head, then smiled back to her friend. “And Silver, this is Ivora.”

“Silver Ving?” Ivora repeated. A sly grin crept across her face and she got up and walked over to me. “So, you are the one that has been making Sky Flare so happy, hmm?” she chuckled, “She has told me much about you in her letters. Is pleasure to finally meet you. As Sky has said, I am Ebon Ivora. But please, call me Ivora.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well,” I said, “You have a lovely home.”

Now that she was closer, I noticed she had a beautiful wildflower in her hair, tucked in near her left ear. It reminded me of a flower I’d seen deep in the Everfree Forest. It was like a lily, bright pink with white lines reaching down its leaves. It accented her blue eyes quite nicely.

She looked me over slowly and I felt a little self-conscious as she seemed almost to be admiring my body.

“You have good form,” Ivora said, “Strong, and athletic. I hear you are good fighter too? Not many can take on three of Canterlots Guards and valk avay. Fewer still can so easily handle Sky Flare’s… Vonderous charms.”

I smirked at her final comment and struggled not to laugh.

“Hey now,” Sky Flare frowned, “Be nice.”

“Vhat are you talking about,” Ivora cooed, “I am alvays nice.”

“Maybe in public,” Sky Flare snorted, “But we both know you’re worse than I am when nopony else is around.”

I glanced between them for a moment and shook my head in disbelief. ‘Worse than Sky Flare?’ I thought, ‘There is no way someone like this can be worse than Sky Flare. Ivora’s way to refined and collected.’

“I see you shaking your head Silver,” Sky Flare smirked, “Just you wait. You’ll believe me soon enough.”

“I assure you Silver Ving, I have no idea vhat she is talking about.” Ivora said. She smiled at me innocently and I began to doubt my first impressions of her slightly.

“Come,” she said, “Sit. Talk. Tell me vhy you are here.”

We followed Ivora back to the couch and sat down.

“We’re stuck here till tomorrow morning,” Sky Flare explained, “So I figured it was a good time for you two to meet. I also wanted to see if you were up for a little… Road trip.”

“Road trip?” Ivora asked, “To vhere?”

“The Everfree Forest.” Sky Flare said.

I glanced at Sky Flare, surprised by her comment.

“You’re kidding!” Ivora gasped.

“Nope,” Sky Flare continued, “Silver here is building a Guild there. And, he’s got something there I think you’d love to see up close.”

“And vhat vould that be?” Ivora asked, raising an eyebrow curiously.

Sky Flare grinned. “Timber Wolves.” she whispered.

“He has captured one?” Ivora asked.

“Nah,” Sky Flare said simply, “He’s tamed them.”

“Vhat!?” Ivora gasped, “But how? That should not be possible.”

“Silver’s not from Equestria,” Sky Flare said matter of factly, “He can do a lot other ponies can’t. Like how he fights, or those fancy dance moves I told you about.”

“I recall those very vell,” Ivora said, grinning a little at some memory, “But I still do not believe he has tamed such beasts.” She looked at me seriously and asked, “Is this true?”

I glanced from Ivora to Sky Flare and back, a little caught off guard by all this. I’d only just met this pony, and while Sky Flare may have known her since childhood, I didn’t. So I was a little lost for words. I hadn’t expected Sky Flare to invite her to the Guild, or so readily talk about me or the Timber Wolves we were trying to keep secret. I trusted Sky Flare though, so I had to trust that she knew what she was doing by saying all this to her friend.

“It’s true,” I said, “I have thirteen of them. They keep other more dangerous creatures away from the Guild, and us.”

“That is extraordinary!” Ivora gasped, “Thirteen? And they all are tamed?”

I nodded.

“Please, excuse me for a moment.” Ivora said. She bowed her head politely, then trotted out of the room.

I leaned closer to Sky Flare as Ivora left and looked at her seriously. “You wanna tell me what this is all about, Sky?” I asked quietly.

“Timber Wolves are Ivora’s favorite animal,” Sky Flare explained, “She caught sight of one once when she was traveling near the Everfree Forest when she was a filly, and has been enthralled by them ever since.” She chuckled and continued, “We used to dress up like them for Nightmare Night when we were younger. So, I figured she’d love to actually see one up close for once, since you have them all under your control now.”

“While I don’t mind playing show and tell, could you run it by me first?” I asked, “We don’t exactly have a penthouse suite set up yet.”

Sky Flare shook her head and looked at me with a smirk. “Trust me Silver,” she said, “Despite what she seems when she’s here, Ivora will have no problems sleeping on the ground for a few nights. Especially if she’s away from her family.”

“What if word gets back to Celestia though?” I asked, “I don’t really think they’ll buy the whole, ‘it’s just a Silver thing’ like the others did.”

“Ivora won’t tell anypony a thing that’s about to happen,” Sky Flare assured me, “And besides, it’ll be good to have her in our corner in the long run. Her family has connections all over Equestria. So, we might just be able to get word of the Guild to spread a little faster with her help.”

I hadn’t thought of that. But, while Sky Flare did have a point, I still didn’t like the idea of bringing ponies to the Guild to show it off when it was still in shambles.

Ivora returned a few minutes later, with a heavy frown on her face.

“I take it you’re not allowed to go?” Sky Flare sighed.

“No, I am not,” Ivora scoffed, “I am to attend a ceremony tomorrow, and perform for Father’s friends. But soon, I will visit. I must see your Timber Volves for myself!”

“We’ll be back in a few weeks,” Sky Flare said sadly, “I’ll check in again then I guess…”

I could feel the disappointment radiating from both of them and felt sorry for them. I wasn’t sure what to say, but I figured I should at least try and change the mood.

“You said you had to perform for your father’s friends?” I asked, “What do you do?”

Ivora smiled at me and turned her side to me. Using her horn, she pointed to her cutie mark and waited.

It looked like a set of hoofprints, three of them to be exact, all connected by dotted lines that seemed to flow in a circular pattern.

“Ivora’s a dancer Silver,” Sky Flare explained, “And one of the best. There isn’t a dance out there she doesn’t know like the back of her hoof.”

“Except for yours,” Ivora chimed in, “Sky Flare has described some rather provocative steps I had not seen elsevhere. She called it, the Michael Jackson? Vhere did you learn these moves, and vould you possibly be villing to give me a demonstration so that I may learn them myself?”

“Uhh,” I stammered a little, “The last demonstration I put on broke my ribs, so I’d rather not. As for where I learned them, well… It was someplace really far from here.”

“How unfortunate,” Ivora said, “But surely just one dance vould cause no harm?”

I could feel a blush already creeping over my face at the thought. There was no way I was going to dance in front of Sky Flare and her friend, especially not anything from Michael Jackson! I didn’t even dance in front of people to begin with, that was just an accident due to how much of Breezy’s wine I had drank!

“Silver’s a little shy when it comes to his dance moves,” Sky Flare teased, “He’ll charge a group of bandits or face off against Timber Wolves all day with no problem, but dance for two cute mares? Hay no.”

They both laughed at my clear embarrassment and I definitely noticed a similarity in their natures.

“You said he vas drunk when he danced for you, yes?” Ivora asked Sky Flare.

She nodded. “Oh yeah,” she said, “He was three sheets to the wind that night.”

“Then vhen I visit, I vill bring something special,” Ivora said, a dark grin creeping over her lips, “It is called “Dragon’s Kiss”. It is made by Dragons far to the south. My Father is the only pony in Canterlot that imports it. I vill give you a bottle, then ve vill see vhat you can really do, Silver Ving.”

“I’m not really a big drinker,” I said nervously, “So I think I’ll pass, but thank you for the offer.”

“You vould not refuse a gift from a noble mare such as myself, vould you?” Ivora asked me in well-acted shock, “You vould insult my family’s name if you did such a thing.”

“She does have a point Silver,” Sky Flare chimed in, “It would be incredibly rude to say no if somepony’s giving you a gift. Especially something as rare as that.”

I looked at them both in stunned amazement. ‘They were twins...’ I thought in horror. They were both like reflections of one other in terms of their personality, and they were using teamwork to play a game against me that I had no hope of winning before it ever started.

I sighed in defeat and nodded tiredly. “…Alright,” I said.

“Excellent!” Ivora smiled, “Now, tell me more of these Timber Volves. Surely you must have learned something that the books do not tell?”

“Silver’s been studying them quite a lot actually,” Sky Flare said, “He knows a lot more about them than even I know.”

“Splendid!” Ivora gasped excitedly, “Please, tell me everything.”



Most of that afternoon was spent talking about Timber Wolves, the Guild, and a verbal description of my unique dance moves. Sky Flare and Ivora were definitely good friends. They had an understanding about one another I couldn’t even guess at. It was almost like watching sisters, and it made me wonder why Sky Flare had never mentioned her before, but I was sure she had her reasons.

We had left before dinner, as Sky Flare had felt it best we interact with Ivora’s parents as little as possible, or at least, that I interacted with them as little as possible. While polite, one wrong word could cause major tension and quite possibly ruin Ivora’s chances at ever visiting us in the Everfree. I had to agree that, in this case anyways, I may indeed say something that wouldn’t go over well, simply because I didn’t know enough about the culture.

Ivora saw us off, and Sky Flare and I returned to the palace for the night. We grabbed a bite to eat from the Palace kitchen, then made for my room to relax.


Sky Flare flopped down onto my bed and sighed aloud. “This day just won’t end!” she groaned, “Why do we have to wait until morning…”

I took a seat on the couch by the far wall and shrugged. “You don’t have to stay, Sky,” I said, “It might be better if you don’t. This is the first time the Timber Wolves will be around the Guild without me there.”

“You worried about Gale and Clyde?” She asked, eyeing me from the bed.

“I am,” I admitted, “From what I’ve seen, I’m sure they’ll be fine, but I’m still worried.”

“Like you said,” she said, “From what you’ve seen of them, they should be just fine. You spent a week with them, most of which without having to force them to obey you with your magic, right?”

“Yeah...” I said. I did feel bad about controlling them when she spoke like that, but the truth was that I was doing just that. I was using mind control to make them listen to me, to make them think I was their leader and that my word was law… It wasn’t right, and I knew it. But, according to everyone else in Equestria, they were just mindless predators that only sought to harm ponies that got too near to the Everfree. I knew that wasn’t true now though, but I didn’t want to have to fight them, or scare them off. I wasn’t hurting them, and this way, they wouldn’t hurt us either. We could all get along and live together, sharing the forest and benefiting each other in the process. Like a symbiotic relationship, one of equal benefit for both parties. They’d protect us, and we’d leave them and as much of the forest alone as we could.

It still wasn’t right, but it was better than the alternative, so I’d continue to do it for as long as I felt I had to.

“Something the matter?” She asked.

I shook my head and smiled. “Nah,” I said, “Just tired is all.”

“Well, come to bed then,” she said, “I won’t bite.”

“You may kick me in the head though.” I laughed.

She thought about what I had said for a moment, then nodded. “True,” She said, “But you should still come to bed. You need your rest too, Mr. Guild Leader.”

“I’ll sleep here tonight.” I said, patting the couch I was sitting on,

“Oh come on Silver,” Sky Flare sighed, “It’s not like we haven’t slept together before.”

“Yeah, when you sneak into bed with me!” I stated.

“Alright then,” Sky Flare said simply, “You hop into bed first, then I will.”

“That’s not the point!” I said. I frowned at her and laid down on the couch. “You sleep there,” I sighed, “I’ll sleep here.”

“It’s not like we’re married Silver,” she sighed at me, “Ponies can sleep together you know? It’s not like this bed isn’t big enough for two. We could probably fit Gale and Clyde on here too if we tried.”

She did have a point, but it was still a weird thing to think about. What if I woke up cuddling her? Or talked in my sleep? Or worse… I was a guy, and I didn’t wear pants, so there was always that possibility. Especially in the middle of the night when I wasn’t thinking. Natural bodily reaction or not, I could never live with myself if something like that just happened to pop up.

That final thought sealed the deal for me and I shook my head. “I’m good here tonight Sky,” I said, “But thank you very much for the offer.”

“Suit yourself,” Sky Flare said, “Just means more bed for me.” She rolled over onto her back and stretched out lazily. Her wings spread out wide beneath her, so wide in fact, she could almost touch either side of the bed with them.

I sighed as I saw the sheer, blissful look of comfort on her face and grumbled atop my far less comfortable couch.


It seemed to have taken me forever to fall asleep that night. The sound of Sky Flare snoring away softly nearby was pleasant, but my choice in bedding was far from it. I just could not get comfortable, and eventually moved to the floor.

By the time morning came, I had already been awake for an hour, but luckily, I wasn’t too tired. The plans for the day I had running through my mind gave me enough energy to shake off my lack of sleep. I woke Sky Flare, grabbed our things, and then together, went to retrieve our bits from Goldenrod in the treasury.

As she had said she would be, Goldenrod was awaiting our arrival and handed me a rather heavy duty pair of saddlebags the moment we addressed her. They had a leather back strap like I was used to, but the pouches on either side were more rectangular, like tool boxes. They were also made of solid metal, and had latches with thick padlocks sealing them shut.

“Within are all the bits you should have need of to get your business underway,” she explained, “There are two keys, one I will give to you now, and a second that we will keep here in case you lose yours.” Then she met my gaze and spoke again. “That being said, do not lose your key.”

I assured her that I would do my best not to lose anything, and, satisfied with my answer, she dismissed us and returned to her work. Sky Flare had been rather put off by Goldenrod’s demeanor, but I was used to it by now. She had things to do, and no patience for wasted time.

Taking the heavy load of bits and the key with us, we left Canterlot and flew for the Everfree Forest. I was eager to return and make sure that Clyde and Gale were both alright, and Sky Flare, despite her claims otherwise, seemed relieved to be outside of the city again.


By noon we had caught sight of the Guild, and for a moment I felt a wave of panic wash over me as I spotted both Clyde and Gale on the roof. I feared the worst, that the Timber Wolves had attacked them and driven them to the peak of the old Inn for safety. But, as we drew closer, I realized they were simply ripping off the old shingles to make the repairs easier.

I landed hard, due to the excess of weight on my back and dropped the metal saddlebags to the ground with a pair of heavy thunks.

“Sounds like you got what we need.” Gale said from above. He dropped down from the roof and landed behind me. “Yeah, definitely looks like they gave you enough to get everything we wrote down.”

“And then some,” I laughed, “Bits are heavy in bulk.”

“Yeah well, don’t lose track of how much is there,” Sky Flare warned, “You do need to pay it back at some point, remember?”

“I am well aware,” I sighed, “But for now, we focus on what we need to get this thing on its feet.” I looked to Gale. “Did you find everything we might need in Ponyville? Or do we need to hit up Canterlot for a few things?”

“Most of the items we’ll need can be found in Ponyville readily enough,” He said, “Lumber, shingles, nails, windows and doors. Lanterns and oil as well. We can get just about everything except for new beds, dressers, and tables. Ponyville has some at fair prices, but in the amount we’ll need, it wouldn’t be fair to the locals to simply buy them out. And even if we did buy them out, it still wouldn’t fill our needs.”

“Right,” I said thoughtfully, “So we’ll need to buy the bigger items from Canterlot then. How were the prices there, Sky?”

“They could be better,” she admitted, “But they’ll do.”

“Alright,” I said, “We can continue using the cellar, or the tents in the meantime, until we get the Inn repaired and turned into our Guild Hall. Then, we’ll get the furniture. Though, to start with, I don’t think we’ll need more than six beds, and maybe two tables. That’ll cover the three of us, and any guests we may get. It’ll also mean new members won’t need to sleep on the ground when they join. We can get more as needed after that.”

“We should also get you a desk, and a filing system,” Sky Flare chimed in, “We can’t do anything if we don’t have a place to put potential missions.”

“Right,” I agreed, “Anything else we need to get right away?”

“We have plenty of food and water,” Gale said, “And while it’s not something we can purchase, we should consider clearing a land path to the plains beyond the Everfree. We’ll need to make several more trips to Ponyville for lumber and other supplies as we go, and I don’t believe Clyde’s wagon will survive for much longer at this rate.”

“I’ll take care of that,” I said nodding, “The Timber Wolves should be able to make short work of the overgrowth that’s reclaimed the old road out of here. Past that, it shouldn’t take too long to make a suitable path.” I looked at Gale closely and asked him seriously, “How were they without me here by the way?”

Gale shrugged. “I haven’t seen them since you first called them out of the forest,” he said, “I caught a glimpse or two last night, but nothing came past the tree line.”

I felt relieved to hear that. “Good,” I said, “They’re doing exactly as they’re supposed to then.”

“Something to make this place easier to spot from the air wouldn’t hurt either,” Sky Flare chimed in, “I don’t know about you two, but I still have a heck of time finding this place.”

“I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to deal with that,” I said, “But I’m not sure what would work yet. Any ideas?”

“Perhaps a beacon of sorts?” Gale offered, “Like a lighthouse.”

“Do we really want to show off our location to every Pegasus for miles around though?” Sky Flare asked, “I meant something a little more subtle… I don’t really want any flyboy with wings to just drop in uninvited because they’ve spotted something that catches their eye.”

“Hrmm…” I wasn’t sure what to do to fix this problem just yet, but I’d think about it while I worked. “I’ll think things over while I clear the road out of here,” I said, “For now, you two help Clyde with what you can. I’ll be back when I’m done, or when the sun sets. Whichever comes first.”

Author's Note:

This Chapter was getting to be waaaaaaay to big, so I split it into two. I hope you enjoy receiving Pt1 early, Pt2 will be posted come the end of the month ^^