• Published 27th May 2012
  • 1,525 Views, 72 Comments

Angelswift - Nevel



A Story of a big brother living alone with his little sister in a house next to the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
3
 72
 1,525

Prologue

We had to get away. I couldn't let her grow up in a home like that.

The train rattled from side to side as it rushed along the tracks. Rain was pouring down the outside of the window. Nothing else could be seen at this time of the night. The heavy rain clouds blocked out the moonlight and the dim lights inside the tram shined against the window, making it impossible to see anything. Only his reflection was there to stare back at him. His ivory coloured coat a mess and light blue mane all ruffled up. Lance Angelswift couldn't bare to look at the mess of a pony he had become.

She deserves so much better.

The little pink filly with the yellow straight mane, lying next to her brother stirred slightly as the train hit a bump. She moved herself closer to him, trying to keep warm. She was still so young and small. Lance placed a foreleg around her and held her close.

Their mother died shortly after the little filly was born. Before she died, she named her foal 'Cherry Blossom'. Their father was a drunken gambler. He spent all of the families’ savings down at the Las Pegasus casinos. With all the families’ money gone, Lance was forced by their father to drop out of school and take a job at the local mall. Las Pegasus was a rough place and after years working on the till and stacking shelves, Lance had heard of a new job opening which offered better bits. It involved working at a casino as security. The city needed as many security guards as possible due to the influx of new ponies coming into the area. Lance Angelswift wasn't exactly the strongest earth pony, but he was determined to work hard. His dream was always to be a guard, but this wasn't what he had in mind.

Canterlot. The Royal Guards. That was his goal!

Ever since he first got his cutie mark of a shield, protecting a classmate at his school from bullies, he knew what he wanted to be. Over the years Lance Angelswift had saved up a small amount of bits to put aside for himself and his sister. All the rest of his money went to their father as he pissed it away on alcohol and gambling. Cherry Blossom was forced to keep the house cleaned and tidy. Their father would scream at her otherwise. It killed Lance every night to come home to their father, passed out on the sofa, stinking and leaving a mess on the floor. If it was there in the morning, Cherry would get the blame for it. She was only a tiny filly. She should have started school earlier this year, but their father refused it. She's still young and hasn't gotten her cutie mark yet. Lance feared that his sister would end up with a ball and chain as a cutie mark. He had to work harder, but he was already working two jobs. The store and security. He was always tired, and always hungry. Then in one night, everything changed.

Lance came home exhausted. Upon reaching the front door, he heard screaming. Lance opened the door as quickly and as quietly as he could. Lance heard his sister pleading with their father.

"HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD THIS?!" Their father shouted. Lance hurried over to her bedroom where the shouting was coming from. He peeked in and saw his father, his sister and a small bag between them. He had found a stockpile of bits that Lance had been saving. Lance kept it hidden in his sister’s room believing it would be safe there, since how often his father would take any possessions from Lance's room. All Cherry had was a cot that was far too small for her. Their father had found the bits hidden there. He was shouting at her, saying she had been stealing from him. Lance saw him raise a hoof. He was going to hit her.

Lance charged into the room, then jumped on his father and they both crashed into the small cot. Their father hit his head very hard and wasn't moving. Lance stood over him and panic filled his soul. It felt like forever had passed and then Cherry Blossom nuzzled against her big brothers foreleg, her tears soaking into his white coat. He had to be strong. He had to make a choice. Lance gathered up all his bits, packed up only the belongings that were absolutely necessary and then they fled the house together. He knew exactly where they needed to go. Their mom had a home in Ponyville. He didn't have enough bits for anything more than the train journey, but neither of them could stay here any longer.

The rain began to stop outside and the clouds started to clear. The pegasus ponies were up early. The sun had just begun to rise and light shined through a few breaks in the clouds. A small town could be seen below.

That's our new home. Lance thought. That's Ponyville.