• ...
34
 24
 3,060

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 41: Not the Last Song

As the blanket of white subsided, every pony gasped at what they just saw. They saw all members of Lamss standing right where they were before. The only difference now was that Orion stood there with his wand glowing brilliantly in his hand. The light then faded, showing once more the jade wand in its original form. “Wait,” said Rainbow Dash confused. “I don’t understand.” “You see,” said Alex. “I have come to really enjoy life in Equestria, but we did need to get home. So we thought, ‘Why not have our cake and eat it too?’” The ponies grew incrementally happier at his explanation. “So, instead of just wishing us all home where we’d more than likely never meet any of you again, I wished instead that Orion’s wand had enough power stored inside it to be able to send us all to from our world to yours again and vice versa, allowing us to come back any time we could.” All of the ponies shouted something along the lines of, “Yes!” as they formed another group hug with much more energy than before. “Don’t be too long,” said Princess Celestia. “We still have the party in Canterlot tonight.”

It was late at night in the city of Canterlot. All of the duelists who attended were dressed in their very best. Rarity had made exact copies of the dresses she made for her friends for the Grand Galloping Gala, as the news of the impromptu party came too suddenly to make a new ensemble. Lamss arrived dressed nicely as well. Alex wore a wore all black: shoes, shirt with top 2 buttons open, pants, and blazer. His hair was restyled and spiked. Scott dressed the exact opposite from Alex: nothing but his trademark white. Sammy wore a red knee length gown, and her hair was held back in a ponytail. Maddie wore a pristine, glittering, shin length gown, and her hair was styled straight and long, with some of her hair draping over her eye. Lucas wore similarly to Alex, except he had a purple shirt. He walked alongside with Charley, who wore a deep blue dress that was ruffled along the bottom half. They walked into the ballroom to begin the festivities. Pinkie Pie was already bouncing off the walls at the grandeur of the party. They saw their instruments sitting on the stage, where they would delight the ponies in a little dancing music. Once everyone arrived, Princess Celestia welcomed everyone, and then made a speech honoring the bravery of Lamss in helping to save Equestria. Everyone raised a toast to them, including Gilda, who was wearing a spunky blue dress stitched up quickly by Rarity. She then went to drink from her glass but found that it spilled on her chest. She then looked to see holes in the dribble glass that she held. Pinkie Pie laughed her trademark laugh, but Gilda simply waved her finger at her as if saying, “Ahh, you got me.” Except here she wasn’t feigning. For the rest of the night, Lamss decided to play the last show that Equestria would hear for a long while now.

Within two days, a large runway was built for the plane for it to safely run off and land on when it would return. All of the humans had finished packing all of their belongings from the theater where they had made their residence more than 2 weeks ago. Orion had finished putting the very last into the plane before it was ready to take off. But first, Lamss had to do their real good-byes before they could. Rainbow Dash approached Alex first, tears dripping from her eyes. “So this is really, good-bye then,” she sobbed. “Yes,” he said, hugging her, “but not forever.” “You promise?” “Promise.” “Pinkie Pie promise?” Alex looked confused at the last question. Rainbow Dash then told him while acting out the motions. “Cross my heart, and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” For as bizarre as it looked, Alex recreated and recited it with no problem. Rainbow Dash laughed at his efforts. “You’re funny, Alex,” she said. “I hope I can fly with you again.” “Me too,” responded Alex. They hugged again.

“Y’all come back now, ya hear?” asked Applejack to Maddie as she hugged her. Sammy was getting hugged by Spike when two other visitors arrived: Soarin and Spitfire. “You didn’t think you were going to leave without saying bye to us now, were you?” “Of course not,” said Sammy. She then hugged the two pegasi. Scott was fiddling with a stick when Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle walked up to him with a large piece of paper in their mouth. “We just wanted to come and say… ‘Thank you,’” said Scootaloo. “Thank me?” asked Scott. “For what?” “It was your words of encouragement that helped us find our cutie marks, and we wanted to show you our appreciation,” said Sweetie Belle. They then unfurled the paper to show a crude color drawing of Scott playing his signature purple keyboard with the words Scott written in sapphires and bordered with rubies. Scott teared up the sight of it. He never had children or even siblings to call his own, but these 3 young fillies were probably the closest he’d ever come to them. “Oh, I’m gonna miss you guys,” said Scott hugging all three ponies. “Scott,” wheezed Scootaloo, “you’re crushing me.” Everyone laughed. Rarity walked over to collect the three fillies. “Thank you so much," she said. “More than a pleasure,” said Scott hugging Rarity. Charley was busy comforting a crying Fluttershy. “I promise we’ll come back,” said Charley. “You take care of your pidgey.” Fluttershy then mustered the strength to hug Charley the same way she did the last time they dueled together. “I love you,” she said to Charley. Charley was surprised to hear that, but she nonetheless returned the compliment. “I love you too, Fluttershy.” Pinkie Pie was crying too. “You’ll miss me, right?” she asked Lucas. “More than you can imagine,” he answered. “In fact, every time I jump up and down on stage to get the crowd cheering, I’m going to jump twice as hard for the both of us.” He hugged Pinkie Pie, who was delighted at that answer. Orion knelt down to meet Twilight’s level. “Just remember, study hard, do right by the princess, and we’ll be back sooner than you know it,” said Orion. Twilight then walked over and pecked him on his cheek, and then hugged him. “Thank you for being my friend,” she said. “Thank you for being mine,” he replied.

Tears were unavoidable today as the other humans said goodbye to the ponies they hadn’t said farewell to. When everything was all said and done. Lucas opened the stair doors to the plane and they all walked inside, Alex last. As the door closed, he could see the group of ponies plus Spike, Soarin, and Spitfire all outside. The door then closed. About 4 minutes later. The plane was moving and rotating out towards the long stretch of road it would need to gain speed and thus altitude. The plane then sped away, finally climbing towards the sky. It made one fly over Ponyville, and then just like it came two weeks ago: it vanished in a bright, blinding light. “Well, that’s that,” said Applejack solemnly. They all walked back to their respective homes glad that their friends were returning, but sad that they wouldn’t see them in a long, long time.

Twilight and Spike wearily made it back to her house. She went to fix herself a cup of tea, but found a large tin with a bow on it in her cupboard where she put her tea. She spied inside, observed its contents, smelled it, and then began crying again. It was the same blend of tea that Orion gave her the time she let him into her home, and when she dueled him. She then put the tea in a strainer and put a full kettle of water over the fireplace. “Spike,” she said, “take a letter.” Spike came out with paper and quill in hand. “Dear Princess Celestia, two weeks ago, a strange race of creatures calling themselves humans arrived here from another world. After conversing with them and ultimately befriending them, they showed that they had more to offer than what we could ever imagine. These past two weeks have been some of the most adventurous of my life: I learned a fun new game, I discovered new and diverse music, and most importantly, I made a lot of new friends. While I’m sad that they have now left for their home world, I’m okay, because I learned another very valuable lesson. No matter how far apart friends seem from city to city, from country to country, or even world to world, as long as we have each others’ memories in our hearts, our friendship will remain strong as ever. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.” Spike sent the letter off and watched as the smoke rolled out of the window and towards Canterlot. The kettle began chirping and steaming, signaling it was ready. Twilight took the kettle off of the fire and went to place the hot water in her cup.

PreviousChapters Next