• ...
34
 24
 3,060

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38: Ultimate Struggle

This chapter's featured card: Arcana Force EX - The Dark Ruler

Effect Monster Level: 10 ATK: 4000 DEF: 4000 Attribute: LIGHT Type: Fairy

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by sending 3 monsters you control to the Graveyard. When this card is Special Summoned, toss a coin. ● Heads: This card can attack twice during the same Battle Phase. If this card battles twice using this effect, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase. This card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except with a card effect. ● Tails: If this card is destroyed, destroy all cards on the field.


“And now, let’s cap off the semi-finals with our penultimate tournament match,” proclaimed the announcer. “Who will face Alex and Orion for a chance to face our Princess’ Celestia and Luna? Let us wait no longer, as the teams are eagerly awaiting their fates. First let’s bring back the duo who, despite their opposite decks, were able to clinch victory against Rarity and Fluttershy. Let’s bring out, Maddie and Sammy!” The crowd, like with Alex, Orion, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash, Sammy and Maddie had their names cheered and chanted throughout the crowd. They made their way to the inside of the ring to meet their opponents. “And lastly, Gilda and Trixie,” said the announcer. The crowd’s loud cheering was then turned to boos with the same intensity as their cheers. Gilda still looked a bit embarrassed standing by her vicious and narcissistic partner as she waved to the crowd and blew kisses, as if their winning was all but imminent. They met Maddie and Sammy at opposite sides of the ring. “Hello, Sammy,” said Trixie. “Trixie,” acknowledged Sammy. “How many more times do I have to play you before you realize that standing in the way of the great and powerful Trixie is a bad idea?” “Depends,” said Sammy with a blank expression on her face. “How many more souls must you claim before you’re done? How many more lives do you have to ruin before you satisfy your bloodlust? You have taken the lives of mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, children. You two are truly godless women. If I see to it that I beat you so you can rot in the deepest part of Hell, I consider that a privilege.” The crowd cheered loudly at Sammy’s speech. “It seems she’s finally ready to meet her fate,” said Trixie, unfazed by Sammy’s threats, “and who are we to deny her wish?”

“Now,” interrupted the announcer, “let’s see how these two teams will face each other.” The spinner came up and the marker spun rapidly. The marker eventually stopped on the space labled SD. Standard Doubles. Sammy and Trixie unsheathed their duel disks in fury, ready to begin. Maddie and Gilda followed afterwards. They all drew 5 cards. “DUEL!” they cried.

Sammy and Maddie vs. Gilda and Trixie

Sammy’s Turn: Sammy summons Flamvell Guard in defense position (ATK: 100 DEF: 2000).

Sammy places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Gilda’s Turn: Gilda summons Ally of Justice Garadholg (ATK: 1600 DEF: 400).

Gilda places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

Maddie’s Turn: Maddie activates Graceful Charity, drawing 3 cards and discarding 2. Next, she activates the spell Magic Triangle of the Ice Barrier, revealing 3 Ice Barrier monsters in her hand to destroy one card on the field, choosing one of Gilda’s face down cards, and special summoning an Ice Barrier monster from her hand, choosing General Grunard of the Ice Barrier (ATK: 2800 DEF: 1000). Maddie summons Secret Guards of the Ice Barrier (ATK: 100 DEF: 1600). With General Grunard of the Ice Barrier’s effect, Maddie can normal summon once more this turn. Maddie tributes Secret Guards of the Ice Barrier to summon Dai-sojo of the Ice Barrier in defense position (ATK: 1600 DEF: 2200).

Maddie ends her turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0

Trixie’s Turn: Trixie activates Scapegoat, special summoning 4 Sheep tokens in defense position (ATK: 0 DEF: 0).

Trixie places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-4 Face Down Cards-2



Interesting strategy, thought Sammy. With Scapegoat’s sheep tokens, you can’t tribute those for a tribute summon, but you can certainly use them for special summoning, which is what her Arcana Force EX monsters require. But she needs 3 of them to do that. We need to destroy them. Hopefully between the two of us, we can take them down. But first, we need to inflict some damage.



Sammy’s Turn: Sammy summons Laval Warrior (ATK: 1800 DEF: 500). Sammy tunes Laval Warrior with Flamvell Guard to synchro summon Laval Dual Slasher. Sammy attacks Ally of Justice Garadholg, but Gilda activates Scrap-Iron Scarecrow, negating the attack. Sammy tries to activates Trap Jammer, but Trixie activates Curse of Royal, negating Trap Jammer and destroying it. When Scrap-Iron Scarecrow is activated, it is set back face down.

Sammy ends her turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Gilda’s Turn: Trixie activates Trap Stun, negating the activation of all traps this turn. Gilda activates Offerings to the Doomed, destroying one monster on the field, choosing Ally of Justice Garadholg. Next, Gilda activates the effect of Meklord Emperor Granel from her hand, special summoning it when a monster of hers is destroyed (ATK: 0 DEF: 0). This card gains ATK and DEF equal to half of the controller’s life points (ATK: 0 -> 4000, DEF: 0 -> 4000). Gilda then activates Meklord Emperor Granel’s effect, equipping one synchro monster from her opponent’s side of the field onto it and gaining its ATK, choosing Laval Dual Slasher (ATK: 4000 -> 6400). Gilda attacks General Grunard of the Ice Barrier.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 8000 -> 4400

Gilda activates another effect of Meklord Emperor Granel, special summoning a monster equipped to it in defense position, choosing Laval Dual Slasher (ATK: 6400 -> 4000, DEF: 6400 -> 4000).

Gilda places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-2



The last attack hit them so hard, it left them tumbling like ragdolls 30 feet way from the inside of the cloud ring. If it wasn’t for the soft clouds to land on, it would have really hurt. Sammy got up, still weakened from the force of the attack itself, looking at the giant robot that Gilda controlled. She then looked at Gilda really for the very first time, and she saw a look of shame and humiliation on her face. The crowd booed at her attack, which made her face look even more desperate. Sammy at first considered it a façade to weaken her gameplay, but then saw the sadness in her eyes was genuine. It’s as if she could see Gilda’s entire tragic past flashed in her eyes. “Gilda,” said Sammy. “What happened to you?” Gilda acknowledged her, and knew the full extent of her questioning. “It’s too late for that!” she cried, eyes watering. “You all had a chance to save me and you threw me to the dogs!” “The crowd of pegasus ponies glared at her as if they could see that she was trying to trick them. “That day when Rainbow Dash never showed up for flight camp, the day I lost my only protection, the day I was pushed to my breaking point. The day where you stood by and did nothing!” she screamed the last sentence. Some of the ponies sitting in the audience who were students at flight camp that day soon remembered the way the bullies pushed her back and forth, and how the teachers and instructors only acted upon Gilda when she defended herself and not at the bullies who tormented her. They then looked partially guilty, not glaring at her, but looking down at the ground sadly. “Rainbow Dash,” said Gilda, choking back her sobs. “Why did you have to leave me?” Rainbow Dash then flew down to the stadium and stood next to her. “Was that why you were expelled from flight camp?” asked Rainbow Dash. “They said you got kicked out. I couldn’t even think about living without the comfort of my friend, and I gave into my despair.” “Kicked out?” asked Rainbow Dash confused. “I just forgot my lunchbox at home and was looking for it.” Gilda looked surprised, and then very foolish. “You were lied to,” said Rainbow Dash, putting her hoof on Gilda’s shoulder. “I wish I could have been there for you. If I had known that that had happened, I… I’m so sorry, Gilda.” “No,” said Gilda. “Don’t be. I was the one who made Fluttershy cry. I was the one who lashed out at Pinkie Pie when she was trying to cheer me up. I was the one that took the lives of your friends. You have nothing to apologize to me for. It’s my fault and mine alone.” Rainbow Dash wanted to say something, but she knew there was nothing more to say, and she bowed her head. Everyone, pony and human alike, was stunned at this revelation. “Hey!” called Trixie. “Have we gone on long enough with the sappy, sad moments? I have a duel to win, and Maddie, it’s your turn.” All of the hate that was directed on both Gilda and Trixie was now aimed all at Trixie. “You’re damn right it’s my turn,” said Maddie furiously.



Maddie’s Turn: Maddie special summons Medium of the Ice Barrier, as her opponent controls 4 more cards than she does (ATK: 2200 DEF: 1600). Maddie activates Change of Heart, taking control of Meklord Emperor Granel (ATK: 4000 -> 2200 DEF: 4000 -> 2200). Next, Maddie activates Meklord Emperor Granel’s effect, equipping one synchro monster from her opponents side of the field onto it and gaining its ATK, choosing Laval Dual Slasher (ATK: 2200 -> 4600, DEF: 2200 -> 4600). Maddie activates the other effect of Meklord Emperor Granel, special summoning a monster equipped to it in defense position, choosing Laval Dual Slasher (ATK: 4600 -> 2200 DEF: 4600 -> 2200). Maddie attacks one of Trixie’s Sheep tokens with Meklord Emperor Granel, but Gilda activates Scrap-Iron Scarecrow, negating the attack and setting the card back face down. Maddie attacks a Sheep token with Medium of the Ice Barrier.

Maddie places 1 card face down and ends her turn. Meklord Emperor Granel is given back to Gilda (ATK: 2200 -> 4000, DEF: 2200 -> 4000).

Status: Hand-0 Life-4400 Monsters-3 Face Down Cards-1

Trixie’s Turn: Trixie tributes her 3 remaining Sheep tokens to special summon Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler (ATK: 4000 DEF: 4000). A coin is tossed. It comes out heads. Trixie attacks Medium of the Ice Barrier, but Sammy activates Negate Attack.

Trixie places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Sammy’s Turn: Sammy activates Pot of Greed drawing 2 cards. Next, she activates, summons Neo Flamvell Origin (ATK: 500 DEF: 200). Sammy tunes Laval Dual Slasher with Neo-Flamvell Origin to synchro summon Laval Stannon (ATK: 2700 DEF: 1800). When this card is synchro summoned, Sammy discards one card.

Sammy ends her turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-4400 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0

Gilda’s Turn: Because of Offerings to the Doomed, Gilda skips her draw phase. Gilda activates Meklord Emperor Granel’s effect, equipping one synchro monster from her opponent’s side of the field onto it and gaining its ATK, choosing Laval Stannon. Sammy activates Laval Stannon’s effect, banishing a Laval monster in her graveyard to negate Meklord Emperor Granel’s effect and destroy it.

Gilda ends her turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-2



“Gilda,” said Sammy. “Why won’t you stop? If you hate doing this, walk!” “From what?” asked Gilda. “I’ve helped perform the most unforgivable curse in pony history. At this point, being an oppressive ruler is a much more comforting thought than prison. And… and…” The more she tried to rationalize her decision, the more she reflected. She remembered the way that Trixie took Apple Bloom yesterday, and how she was about to challenge Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo without any qualms about their age. It was at that moment she saw the monster that she really was, and if she became a leader with an iron fist, she’d be no better than she was that day. “… I don’t know what I want anymore,” Gilda finished slumping her head. Maddie was about to draw her next card, when suddenly, “Hey, Maddie,” said Gilda. Maddie looked out to her. “Come at me,” said Gilda.



Maddie’s Turn: Maddie places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-4400 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-1

Trixie’s Turn: Trixie attacks Medium of the Ice Barrier with Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler, but Maddie activates Draining Shield, negating the attack and gaining life points equal to the ATK of the attacking monster. Gilda attempts to activate her Trap Jammer, but Maddie activates Solemn Judgement, paying half of her life points to negate the activation of Trap Jammer and destroy it.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 4400 -> 2200

Draining Shield’s effect resolves.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 2200 -> 6200

Trixie ends her turn.

Status: Hand-4 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Sammy’s Turn: Sammy activates Heavy Storm, destroying all spell and trap cards on the field.

Sammy places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-6200 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Gilda’s Turn: Gilda summons Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator (ATK: 1400 DEF: 1200).Next, she activates Double Summon, summoning Ally of Justice Unlimiter (ATK: 600 DEF: 200). Gilda tunes Ally of Justice Unlimiter with Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator to synchro summon Ally of Justice Catastor (ATK: 2200 DEF: 1200).

Gilda ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0

Maddie’s Turn: Maddie activates Creature Swap, having each player take control of another monster on the field. Maddie chooses Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler. Trixie chooses Dai-sojo of the Ice Barrier. Sammy chooses Ally of Justice Catastor. Gilda chooses Laval Stannon. Maddie attacks Laval Stannon with Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler.

Gilda and Trixie’s Life Points: 8000 -> 6700

Maddie ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-6200 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0

Trixie’s Turn: Trixie activates Reload, adding her hand to her deck, shuffling it, and drawing cards equal to the number of cards she added. Trixie activates Celestial Transformation, special summoning a Fairy-type monster from her hand, choosing Arcana Force XXI – The World (ATK: 3100 DEF: 3100). A coin is tossed. It ends up heads.

Trixie places 1 card face down. During the end phase, because of Arcana Force XXI – The World’s heads effect, Trixie can send 2 monsters she controls to the graveyard to skip her opponents turn. Trixie ends her turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-6700 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-1

Gilda’s Turn: Gilda activates Monster Reborn, special summoning Laval Stannon from the graveyard. Laval Stannon attacks Medium of the Ice Barrier.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 6200 -> 5700

Gilda ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-6700 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0

Maddie’s Turn: Maddie attacks Laval Stannon with Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler, but Trixie activates Magic Cylinder, negating the attack and inflicting damage equal to the monsters ATK.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 5700 -> 1700

Maddie activates the quick-play spell Double or Nothing!, doubling Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler’s ATK and allows it to attack again, attacking Laval Stannon (ATK: 4000 -> 8000).

Gilda and Trixie’s Life Points: 6700 -> 1400

Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler’s ATK returns to normal. With Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler’s heads effect, it can attack twice in the battle phase. Maddie attacks Gilda and Trixie directly with Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler, but Trixie activates The High Priestess’ Staff, negating the attack and inflicting 500 points of damage to her opponents.

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 1700 -> 1200

Maddie ends her turn. When Arcana Force EX – The Dark Ruler attacks twice with its effect, it changes to defense position.

Status: Hand-0 Life-1200 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0

Trixie’s Turn: Trixie activates her Pot of Greed, drawing 2 cards. She summons Arcana Force III – The Empress (ATK: 1300 DEF: 1300).

Trixie places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-1400 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Sammy’s Turn: Trixie activates Ring of Destruction, destroying Arcana Force III – The Empress and inflicting damage to all players equal to the monster’s ATK.

Gilda and Trixie’s Life Points: 1400 -> 100

Sammy and Maddie’s Life Points: 1200 -> 0

Gilda and Trixie win.



Trixie then used her magic to break off the piece of cloud she was standing on and floated towards her two fallen enemies. “Now, you finally see why you should never cross paths with the great and powerful Trixie, the best and most powerful duelist in all of Equestria. Any last words?” “You’re wrong,” said Maddie weakly, but with a noticeable smirk on her face. “You’re not the most powerful duelist in Equestria. Your next opponents are.” Trixie was too upset at her defiance to hear what Sammy had to say, but before Trixie’s curse could strike Maddie and Sammy, Sammy looked to Gilda and said, “Gilda.” Gilda turned looked to her. “I forgive you.” Gilda’s sadness could no longer be contained, as she broke down and sobbed, her face in the clouds she was lying on. Two red beams then flew out of Trixie’s horn and struck Sammy and Maddie, whitening their hair and wizening their bodies. Unlike their previous victims, however, they didn’t utter a single groan as their souls were afflicted. Once the curse was done, both women fell to the ground. Alex, who was on the sidelines, was speechless. He fell to his knees and bent over as he cried into his hands. Rainbow Dash and Orion helped carry them to the waiting room. Trixie then scoffed as she walked away to the waiting room.

Alex shot his head up and furiously called, “Hey, bitch! You stay RIGHT where you are.” Trixie stopped and turned around. “Well, he really wants to join his sister. I guess we have some time to finish this.” “I’m not,” said Gilda. Trixie then glared at Gilda. “What did you just say?” she asked. “I said I’m not doing this anymore,” said Gilda. “I’m tired of running. I’ve spent my whole life running away. I’m not scared anymore. I thought that imprisonment was a worse scenario than ruling the world with you. Now I know that the opposite is true, because being by your side is the worst imprisonment that I can think of.” Trixie was fuming as she watched Gilda throw her duel disk on the ground. “You declared a challenge for you and your teammate,” said Gilda to Alex, “and Trixie accepted on our behalf. It says that the curse is broken when the team that casted the curse is beaten in the same competition that the afflicted ponies lost in. Surrendering in defeat sounds like a quick way to resolve that.” “Gilda, what are you doing?” asked Trixie scared. Gilda then turned to Princess Celestia. “Princess Celestia, I hereby sur-” Before she could finish her sentence, she began choking. “Gilda,” called Alex in worry. The crowd then found Trixie using her magic to prevent Gilda from completing her statement. “Sur- Surrend- AAAAAAAHHHHH!!” cried Gilda as she failed to fight Trixie’s magic. “Guards, seize her!” cried Princess Celestia to her guards. The guards rushed in to stop Trixie, but then Gilda rushed in front of her, standing defensively with wings out in guard. “Gilda,” cried Alex. He then noticed that her eyes looked clouded. He knew exactly what was happening.

“Unhand her Trixie!” called Alex. “What are you talking about?” said Gilda lethargically, clearly under the control of Trixie. “I’m merely serving my master.” Orion rushed out with wand in hand, aiming at Gilda. Alex lowered Orion’s arm down and explained what was happening. The royal guards still looked offensive like they would strike at any moment. “Guards, let them be,” called Alex. “This is something that needs to be settled by us and us alone.” Alex then unsheathed his duel disk as Orion turned his wand into his duel disk. The guards retreated to let Gilda and Trixie stand in position. “Alright,” said the announcer nervously, “we are now commencing the final match of the Equestrian Friendship Dueling Tournament. Whoever wins this match goes on to face Princess Celestia and Princess Luna for a chance to have one wish of their choice be granted. Good luck!” He then scooted away.” Trixie and Gilda unsheathed their duel disks as everyone drew 5 cards from their deck. “DUEL!” they all cried.

PreviousChapters Next