• ...
34
 24
 3,060

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Facing Fear

This chapter's featured card: Locomotion R-Genex

Synchro Monster Level: 9 ATK: 2500 DEF: 2000 Attribute: DARK Type: Machine

1 "Genex" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner DARK monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned, take control of the face-up monster your opponent controls with the highest Level. (If it's a tie, you get to choose.)


The final day of the Equestrian Friendship Dueling Competition was underway, and it was around 5:00, one hour before the preliminaries would come to a close and they would announce the competitors entering the finals. There had not been a reported casualty at all that day, but many only assumed it was because they hadn’t found any bodies. Applejack and Apple Bloom were furious all day, hoping to find Trixie and Gilda and whoop them good for what they did to their brother and cousin. They won their first two duels that day with ease, having been fueled by the anger they were feeling since yesterday afternoon. Applejack and Apple Bloom stopped by the edge of a cliff on the top of a mountain far from Ponyville to stop and reflect. This cliff was on the same mountain where they vacated a dragon whose smoked snoring threatened to damage the town. On that day, Fluttershy overcame her fear of dragons, which was the sole reason the dragon left in the first place. In a way, it was what she needed. If she was going to face Trixie and Gilda, she was going to have to face her own fears. She hoped the courage that Fluttershy displayed that day would inspire her to have the strength to face them, but her mind was too clouded by the fate of her not only the brother and cousin that she lost yesterday, but she would also be getting her little sister involved too. For as strong as she was, she was still a filly and Applejack’s sister, and she would never forgive herself if anything bad happened to her.

“Applejack?” said Apple Bloom. “Are you alright?” Applejack sighed and talked to her sister. “You know that I love you as a sister, and that it’s my job to make sure nothing bad happens to you now?” “What are you saying,” said Apple Bloom, not catching on. “Listen,” said Applejack bluntly, “I don’t want to be responsible for you being taken away from me like Big Mac and Braeburn were, and I was thinking about resigning from the tournament.” “What?” asked Apple Bloom in disbelief. “How could you say that?” “Listen, I’m your sister-” said Applejack in a commanding tone. “No, YOU listen,” said Apple Bloom angrily. “I’m your sister too, and I would feel just as guilty letting something bad happen to you as you would had it happened to me. But I’m not going to sit by and let my friends sacrifice themselves for our own safety. I mean, what if they fail. Would you be able to sleep at night knowing that Twilight, Rainbow dash, Pinkie Pie, or Alex, Sammy, and all the others lost to Trixie and Gilda all because you were too scared to act? Lucas said this was a job for all of us to do. That means it’s my job as well as yours, and I’m not giving up now.” Applejack had tears welling in her eyes by the power of Apple Blooms words. In the same way Fluttershy found her strength to stand up to her inner demons, Applejack found hers right there. “Hey there,” called a familiar voice. Applejack and Apple Bloom both jumped and turned around, instinctively thinking it was Trixie and/or Gilda, but it was only Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. “What in tarnation are you doing up here?” asked Applejack. “We followed you up the mountain. We have one more duel to win today,” said Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo finished for her. “And we were just wondering if you wanted to be our final competitors. If we want to have any hope of beating Trixie or Gilda, we thought we should try dueling the strongest pony in town.” “Alright,” said Applejack. “If you say so.” All ponies unsheathed their duel disks and drew 5 cards from their decks. “DUEL!” they yelled.

Applejack and Apple Bloom vs. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo

Applejack’s Turn: Applejack summons XX-Saber Boggart Knight (ATK: 1900 DEF: 1000). With its effect, Applejack can special summon a level 4 or lower X-Saber monster, choosing X-Saber Palomuro (ATK: 200 DEF: 300). Applejack tunes XX-Saber Boggart Knight with X-Saber Palomuro to synchro summon X-Saber Wayne (ATK: 2100 DEF: 400). When X-Saber Wayne is synchro summoned, Applejack can special summon a level 4 or lower Warrior-type monster in her hand, choosing X-Saber Galahad (ATK: 1800 DEF: 800).

Applejack places 1 card face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-1

Sweetie Belle’s Turn: Sweetie Belle discards one card in her hand to special summon The Fabled Nozoochee (ATK: 1200 DEF: 800). Sweetie Belle then tributes The Fabled Nozoochee to summon Fabled Dianaira (ATK: 2800 DEF: 100).

Sweetie Belle places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

Apple Bloom’s Turn: Apple Bloom summons one monster face down.

Apple Bloom places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-8000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1

Scootaloo’s Turn: Scootaloo summons Genex Undine (ATK: 1200 DEF: 600). Next, she activates its effect: by sending one WATER monster from her deck to the graveyard (another Genex Undine), she can add a Genex Controller from her deck to her hand. Next, she activates Double Summon, summoning the Genex Controller from her hand (ATK: 1400 DEF: 1200). Scootaloo tunes Genex Undine with Genex Controller to synchro summon Hydro Genex (ATK: 2300 DEF: 1800). Scootaloo attacks Apple Bloom’s face down monster, which was a Karakuri Soldier mdl 236 "Nisamu" (ATK: 1400 DEF: 200). With Hydro Genex’s effect, when it destroys a monster and sends it to the graveyard, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle gain life points equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s Life Points: 8000 -> 9400

Apple Bloom activates the effect of Karakuri Soldier mdl 236 "Nisamu.” When destroyed by battle and sent to the graveyard, she can special summon a level 4 or lower Karakuri monster from her deck, choosing Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa" (ATK: 2100 DEF: 1100).

Scootaloo places 2 cards face down and ends her turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-9400 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

Applejack’s Turn: Applejack activates Gottoms’ Emergency Call, special summoning 2 X-Saber monsters from her graveyard, choosing XX-Saber Boggart Knight and X-Saber Palomuro. Applejack tunes XX-Saber Boggart Knight and X-Saber Galahad with X-Saber Palomuro to synchro summon XX-Saber Gottoms (ATK: 3100 DEF: 2600). Applejack equips XX-Saber Gottoms with Sword of Sparkles. Then, she attacks Hydro Genex with XX-Saber Gottoms, but Scootaloo activates Limiter Removal, doubling the ATK of all Machine-type monsters on the field (ATK: 2300 -> 4600). Applejack halts her attack.

Applejack ends her turn. During the end phase of the turn that Limiter Removal was activated, all Machine type monsters are destroyed, destroying Hydro Genex and Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa."

Status: Hand-2 Life-8000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0

Sweetie Belle’s Turn: Sweetie Belle summons Fabled Raven (ATK: 1300 DEF: 1000). Sweetie Belle tunes Fabled Dianaira and Fabled Raven to synchro summon Fabled Leviathan (ATK: 3000 DEF: 2000). Sweetie Belle then activates Monster Reborn, special summoning Fabled Dianaira from the graveyard. Sweetie Belle attacks X-Saber Wayne with Fabled Leviathan, but Apple Bloom activates Magic Cylinder, negating the attack and inflicting damage equal to the attacking monster’s ATK.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s Life Points: 9400 -> 6400

Sweetie Belle then attacks X-Saber Wayne with Fabled Dianaira.

Applejack and Apple Bloom’s Life Points: 8000 -> 7300

Sweetie Belle ends her turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-6400 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-2

Apple Bloom’s Turn: Apple Bloom activates Call of the Haunted, special summoning Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa" from the graveyard. Next, she normal summons Karakuri Strategist mdl 248 "Nishipachi" (ATK: 500 DEF: 1600). When Karakuri Strategist mdl 248 "Nishipachi" is summoned, Applebloom picks one monster on the field and changes its battle position, choosing XX-Saber Gottoms. Apple Bloom tunes Karakuri Muso mdl 818 "Haipa" with Karakuri Strategist mdl 248 "Nishipachi" to synchro summon Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei" (ATK: 2600 DEF: 1900). When Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei" is synchro summoned, Apple Bloom can special summon a Karakuri monster from her deck, choosing Karakuri Ninja mdl 7749 "Nanashick" (ATK: 2200 DEF: 1800). Next, she activates her own Limiter Removal, doubling the ATK of all Machine-type monsters on the field (ATK: 2600 -> 5200) (ATK: 2200 -> 4400). Karakuri Ninja mdl 7749 "Nanashick" attacks Fabled Leviathan.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s Life Points: 6400 -> 5000

Next, Apple Bloom attacks Fabled Dianaira with Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei." First, Sweetie Belle activates Astral Barrier, allowing any opponent’s attack to be a direct one. Next, Scootaloo activates Numinous Healer, increasing their life points by 1000.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s Life Points: 5000 -> 6000

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei" attacks Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo directly.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo’s Life Points: 6000 -> 800

Apple Bloom places 1 card face down and ends her turn. Because of Limiter Removal’s effect, Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei" and Karakuri Ninja mdl 7749 "Nanashick" are destroyed.

Status: Hand-2 Life-7300 Monsters-0 Face Down Cards-1

Scootaloo’s Turn: Scootaloo plays Pot of Greed, drawing 2 cards. Next, she summons Genex Recycled (ATK: 200 DEF: 400). Sweetie Belle activates her trap DNA Transplant, choosing one attribute (DARK), for as long as that card remains on the field, all monsters are treated as DARK monsters. Scootaloo tunes Fabled Dianaira with Genex Recycled to synchro summon Locomotion R-Genex (ATK: 2500 DEF: 2000). When Locomotion R-Genex is synchro summoned, Scootaloo can take control of a synchro monster that her opponent controls with the highest ATK, taking control of XX-Saber Gottoms. Next, she activates the spell Heavy Storm, destroying all spell and trap cards on the field. Then, she activates Double Spell, discarding 1 spell card from her hand to activate a spell card from her opponent’s graveyard as if it was her own, choosing Limiter Removal, doubling the ATK of all Machine-type monsters (ATK: 2500 -> 5000). Scootaloo attacks Applejack and Apple Bloom directly with XX-Saber Gottoms.

Applejack and Apple Bloom’s Life Points: 7300 -> 4200

Scootaloo attacks Applejack and Apple Bloom directly with Locomotion R-Genex.

Applejack and Apple Bloom’s Life Points: 4200 -> 0

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo win.



Applejack then elicited a chuckle from the enjoyment of their duel. “That was a good one,” said Applejack as she went over to shake the hands of her competitors. All of a sudden, something caught Applejack’s eye from the inside of the cave. Then, a flash of red light shot out of the cave. Instinctively, Applejack ran over and blocked the beam from Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo with her body, but she felt something warm clamp around her wrist. She then saw that the beam was wrapped around her right arm and formed a ropey wave into the cave’s entrance. Applejack tried to bite, pull and snap the beam off of her arm but it was no use. “Hello, Applejack,” said a sinister voice from the cave’s inside. She turned around to the caves entrance to see Trixie walking out of the cave with the red beam hanging from her horn as Gilda walked next to her.

Sammy and Spike were doing very well in the tournament, and they were almost in good standings for a perfect 9-0 record for the preliminaries. All they needed though was 1 more duel. Soon afterwards, she found Soarin and Spitfire flying in the sky above them. Sammy whistled them down. “Oh, hey Sammy. Hey, Spike,” said Spitfire. “Hi,” responded Sammy. “How are you doing in the tournament?” “Not too well,” said Spitfire. “We have many more losses than wins, and it’s pretty certain that we’ll not be making it into the finals.” “That’s too bad,” said Sammy. “We still have one more duel to do today, so would you mind being our last competitors?” “Sure. Why not?” said Spitfire, who had nothing to lose at this point. “Riding doubles?” asked Sammy “Sounds good,” answered Spitfire. “Where?” “To the top of that mountain,” said Sammy pointing to the top of the mountain where Applejack currently was about a mile away. “Let’s do this then!” said Spike in a pumped up voice.

“Trixie,” scowled Applejack, tugging at the beam on her arm. “Get this thing off of me!” “Do you like it?” asked Trixie proudly. “The great and powerful Trixie made the spell all on her own. Not that it was difficult for an expert on magic such as I. With it, you can’t escape from me until you finish a duel with me.” The beam turned invisible, but Applejack still felt its tug. “Alright then,” jumped in Apple Bloom, “let’s go!”

Sammy rode her d-wheel to the starting line up to where Soarin and Spitfire were. Spike rode up in an electronic skateboard-like device. Scott had a friend back in his home world that loved to make new technologies for dueling, and she gave Scott a prototype of the skateboard device used explicitly for riding duels. It didn’t really allow for wider stances, so no human could ride it properly, but with Spike, which was magically shrunk via Twilight’s magic to fit his size, the footing spacing was perfect. Everyone turned on Speed World 2, and the field was flooded with the holographic aura. The countdown began.

10. Trixie looked at Apple Bloom unsympathetically and said, “It seems as if this foolish little filly wants to stand up to the might of the great and powerful Trixie. Fine, I shall grant thee thy wish.” 9. “Whoa, whoa, whoa!” said Gilda pulling Trixie aside. 8. “I know we have to look strong in front of our enemies, but I mean she’s just a filly. Maybe we can find some older opponents-” “Sorry,” said Trixie with absolutely no pity in her voice. 7. “But I will not show my enemies that I will run from anybody, even if it’s a child.” 6. “Besides, I already anchored her sister.” 5. Gilda knew that she had to duel Applejack and consequently Apple Bloom because of that. She growled and then turned to Trixie. “Fine,” said Gilda. 4. “Just promise not to afflict the filly.” 3. They all unsheathed their duel disks. 2. They each drew 5 cards from their deck. 1. “DUEL!” they all cried. BEEP!

Sammy, Spike, Spitfire and Soarin rushed off the starting line. As fast as they were, Sammy and Spike couldn’t match Soarin and Spitfire’s natural speed in the air as they flew low to the ground next to Sammy and Spike, and they took the lead as they took the first turn in the path and thus were decided to take the first turn. As they made their way towards the mountain, each duelist drew 5 cards. “DUEL!” they all yelled.

PreviousChapters Next