• Published 15th Aug 2015
  • 1,139 Views, 30 Comments

Dragonfire - Indigo Steel



These are the adventures of the Equestrian Starship Celestia and her crew, particularly a young Draconian named Spa'iik Dragonfire...also known as Spike. Together, they struggle to restore the Equestrian race to it's former glory!

  • ...
3
 30
 1,139

S1E3: "Dragonfire: Part 3"

AUTHOR WARNING: INTENSE DRAMA IN THIS CHAPTER!

Sunset fired her rifle, the barrage of magnetically-impelled projectiles obliterating one of the monstrosities fast approaching. As she fired at another one, she saw the first one she destroyed start to reconstruct itself, the slime that coated it moving, manipulating and re-assembling the body. While it looked more damaged and ooze-coated than before, it still managed to move forward, albeit a bit slower.

Sunset mumbled a curse, managing to control her growing fear and panic. Fluttershy, on the other hand, wasn't doing as well, the shaky aim on her laser missing both times that she fired.

Fortunately, the aim of the others in the group were far better; the beams from their lasers hit their marks, the high-power energy disintegrating the creatures as they got dangerously close. As each body disintegrated, the goop did not, splattering on the ground before starting to move again

Noting that energy weapons were having more of an effect than her projectile weapon, Sunset collapsed and holstered her rifle, instead drawing and activating her own sidearm, larger and designed differently than the others. The weapon fired white bolts of energy that upon impact with their targets caused them to disintegrate faster and more explosively!

Together, the collected retaliation of the party was enough to stem the approach of the creatures. Sunset contracted the ship via mental command, her Mark insignia on her suit glowing softly. “Celestia, emergency teleport, all teams!”

“Something is interfering with the teleporter, Commander Shimmer.” Celestia replied, “I’m trying multiple teleport frequencies, but nothing's working.”

Sunset cursed. The creatures were coming in through the only entrance, though at the moment, they were thinning out. The black goo that remained on the ground began to move and coalesce on it’s own. “We have to fight our way out! Everypony follow me, keep it tight!”

With that, the group moved out, shooting at or moving to avoid any aggressors. As they ran, one of them suddenly fell over! “Commander!” The crewman called out.

Sunset looked back to see the downed man struggle against a large lump of the black ooze encompassing his foot and quickly moving up his leg. He risked firing his laser, but the weapon was useless against the slime. His body took on an aura and he struggled anew, but more ooze had crawled over his other leg. Despite his boosted strength, he was finding escape difficult, if not impossible. Meanwhile, yet more ooze was converging on the victim.

By this time, Sunset had made it to his side, summoning her spectral horn. “Don't move.” She ordered. When the man froze, Sunset fired two energy bolts from her horn, effectively breaking apart the ooze enough for the man to get back to his feet quickly. The two of them ran to rejoin the group, continuing to fight and run. The ooze, despite being blasted, began to slowly recover and move once again...

Sunset spoke via her commlink, “Commander Shimmer to all teams; we have encountered multiple unidentified hostiles, resembling what appears to be various decayed humanoids and a black viscous fluid! Emergency teleport has failed! Be advised; keep your distance, use energy weapons on the corpses, offense spells on the fluid! All teams rendezvous at primary teleport entry coordinates immediately!”

******************

Before Sunset’s distress call, Twilight had been studying test results regarding the mysterious nature of magical energy radiating from the equally mysterious artifact. Whatever it was, Twilight theorized that it’s sheer power fueled the formation of the surrounding manalithium deposits, a feat previously thought possible only for massive natural sources of magic such as Ley Lines or Mana Nebulae.

Having already formed a hypothesis on what the artifact was from the memory of something she learned long ago, the Captain was presently referring to multiple information sources from the ship’s database, her extensive knowledge and uncanny intuition in the field of magic allowing her to draw multiple parallels, seeing similarities in certain spells in regards to both language and magic energy frequency, particularly in regards to certain very ancient spells that required certain qualities in the spellcaster to work properly...qualities articulated in the words etched into the outer crystal shell. The results of the other tests, while still unable to determine the proper element that the inner crystal cluster was made from, confirmed the artifact’s age.

Twilight finally paused in her work, her research complete, her results conclusive. Her hypothesis had proven correct, and the gravity of that fact now struck her as she simply stared in reverence at the artifact. “I knew it…” She spoke.

“Great wickering stallions…” Doctor Turner said, having viewed the same results, agreeing with his colleague’s findings. “This is…”

They looked at each other, excited and overjoyed smiles forming as they spoke in unison, “Harmony.”

Suddenly, Celestia’s voice spoke, “Captain, emergency! The exploration and BRONCO teams are in danger!”

Twilight’s joy was utterly eclipsed by shock and horror. Reacting quickly, her spectral horn appeared, the spell it cast causing the Unuscornu to vanish in a lavender flash. In an instant, she materialized on the bridge. “Report?” She commanded.

Unfazed by her Captain's impromptu teleport, Ensign Caramel at the tactical station spoke, “The teams are unable to return to the ship via teleport. While the ship’s scanners aren’t picking up anything, we have a visual confirmation on the hostiles.”

The main viewscreen showed visual uploads from multiple helmet feeds in real time. Twilight rushed over to view the science station scans alongside the crewman currently operating it; A woman with white-streaked mint green hair, mint green color portions on her uniform, and a Mark of a harp.

“We’re running through every scan, Captain, nothing’s able to read it.” Ensign Lyra Heartstrings spoke, “The best I can detect is a magic energy signature I’ve never seen before.”

Twilight looked at the wavelength, her eyes widening in terror when she recognized exactly what it was…

The Chaotic Dark.

“Captain!” Caramel spoke, “I’m losing contact with several members of BRONCO squads one and two!”

The pit of Twilight’s stomach felt like ice. That was her crew...her friends...

Her brother.

Her eyes darted across the viewscreen, taking but a few moments to observe the movements and vulnerabilities of the attacking force before formulating a plan of action. The Mark insignia on Twilight’s uniform glowed softly at her mental command. “Lieutenant Dash, prep Lander Shuttle One and assemble a slider bike team with extra bikes and evac wagons! Arm with energy weapons only!”

*************

Receiving Sunset’s distress call, Applejack responded, “BRONCO team one here, acknowledged, Commander!” She and the team swiftly replaced their current rifles with the energy-based sidearms they carried, all similar to the one Sunset carried. When they started double-timing it to the nearest exit point, it didn't take long for a swarm of ooze-coated zombies to attack from multiple sides!

“Contact!” Applejack shouted, followed by a hail of blasts from the team. They destroyed multiple targets, only for many more to replace them; to say nothing of the ooze itself moving on it’s own. When one of the creatures was about to get too close, Applejack not only summoned her aura, but also gestured her unarmed hand while focusing her thoughts on a spell of the Old Magic. A one-handed warhammer made of the same orange translucent energy as her aura materialized in her hand. With a powerful swing, she sent the zombie flying into a group of it’s ilk, effectively knocking some of them over.

Everyone else began taking a similar tactic, keeping their sidearms in one hand, and a magically conjured melee weapon in another. Despite this, they were starting to slow down due to the sheer number of hostiles and the exhaustion of maintaining a constant of running, fighting, and sustained magic. Just as they were about to stop entirely, a new hail of weapons fire helped even their odds!

“YEEEAAH!!” Bulk shouted, as he, Spike, and the other flyers rejoined them. “Air evac!” He shouted, “Every flyer grab a ground pounder!”

The Pegasi and Draconian put their weapons away to free their hands while the Terra Onagers did the same, holding up their arms as each flyer grabbed one of their grounded comrades and soared high enough to be out of reach of their enemies. Spike grabbed Applejack, who had to raise her legs a bit to avoid being grabbed by a zombie. Though the muscular Bulk had to carry two grounders (one for each arm), it seemed as if they would make it outside. Unfortunately, the enemy had another trick up it’s sleeve…

Suddenly, many globs of black goop flew out at them! Taken by surprise, many were hit, causing them to spiral down to where pools of ooze would cover over them quickly, literally drowning out their shouts of pain and panic.

Everyone that managed to stay airborne, including Spike, Applejack, and Bulk cursed, unable to do anything for their downed comrades. The flyers moved as best they could to evade the new attack, while their passengers could only hold on for dear life! Try as they might, however, even Bulk and his charges were shot down by the goop, leaving only Spike and Applejack to make their way to the exit, now only a few meters away!

Alas, while Spike managed to dodge the goop, a loose piece of debris struck him in the back, causing him to grunt in pain and lose control of his flight. By virtue of his impressive Draconian strength, He managed to right himself by grabbing onto a ledge with one arm and a leg, the other still holding onto Applejack. Just then, a tendril of black slime shot out, grabbing onto Applejack! The slime tendril pulled, causing both her and Spike to grunt in struggle against it. The Security Chief drew her plasma blaster sidearm and fired off a few shots, either missing or having no effect. As she was not an Unuscornu, she was unable to access any long range offense spells that didn't require the use of both hands. She managed to materialize a spear, stabbing at the tendril. While the first one let go, two more shot out, one of them grabbing the arm that held the offending magic spell. “AAHH!” Applejack shouted.

More tendrils attempted to grab Spike, but before they could, the Draconian opened his mouth and breathed in, the inside of his mouth glowing green before a gout of green flame shot outward, the intense magical heat burning one tendril while making the others shrink back quickly!

The tendrils holding Applejack pulled harder. “GRRRRRNNN!” Spike growled, pulling with everything he had, gritting his fanged teeth. His grip was starting to slip…

“Cadet…” he heard his superior officer say, “Let go.”

The Draconian looked at the woman in shock. Applejack continued, “Ya have to let me go, or we’ll both fall! Ya know it’s true!” Briefly, her eyes shined with the color of her aura…

*******************

At that very moment, inside Lab Alpha, a portion of the inner crystal briefly flashed and shimmered with energy, making sounds akin to the music resulting from someone running their fingers along the rims of multiple crystal glasses.

“Good Elysium…” Time Turner spoke, “Did you catch all that, Celestia?”

“Yes, Doctor.” Celestia’s voice replied, “I've already taken the liberty of scanning for any changes in the artifact.”

****************

Spike’s eyes met Applejack’s. She was right, and he knew it. Still, he refused to let go, trying again to pull her free, flapping his wings in addition, accomplishing nothing.

“Spike!” She said, “Stop! There ain't no sense in this! Ya can still save the others!”

He looked at her again...then nodded.

“Tell mah family I love ‘em, ok?” She asked, a tear in her eye.

“Yes, ma’am.” Spike responded.

In spite of her impending doom, she gave a small smile. “Good man.”

After another second’s hesitation, Spike finally let go, the pain of this action evident on his face as he watched Applejack be pulled into what was fast becoming a lake of ooze. Not letting the Security Chief’s sacrifice be in vain, Spike gave a mighty flap of his ethereal wings and flew forth, evading any further assaults of the ooze. Soon, he flew out of the refinery, towards the location of Sunset and the exploration team.

******************

The exploration team ran for their lives, pursued by both the zombie-like creatures and now, it seemed, the slime itself, which began moving much more fluidly now, forming tentacles or throwing globs of ooze at it’s intended victims. One crewman had to throw away their weapon after a lump of goo managed to hit and spread over it quickly.

Sunset attempted to turn down one corridor, only to blast another zombie before firing a force wave from her spectral horn to knock back the others approaching. At the same time, Vinyl’s own ethereal horn appeared, allowing her to cast a wall of magic long enough for the group to continue running past, with Vinyl finally dropping the wall to bring up the rear.

At long last, they reached an entryway door that Vinyl quickly closed. Rarity activated a low setting on her laser to burn a simple pattern on the door, before using a combination of hand gestures and her white ethereal horn to empower the hasty pattern into a ward. “That should hold them back for a while.”

Sunset opened a channel to the ship, adding an encryption as a precaution. “Celestia, can you track the hostiles?”

“I cannot, Commander.” Celestia replied over the link. “My scanners have been ineffectual, save for identifying the hostiles as manifestations of the Chaotic Dark.”

The entire group, Sunset included, reacted with shock, Fluttershy struggling even harder to retain her composure. “How’s that even possible?” Rarity asked, “I thought it was still confined to Equestria?”

“What if it’s not?” Another crewman spoke, “What if it's the Sundering all over again??”

“The Lunar Colonies could be under attack as we speak!” Another crewman spoke. Fluttershy was beginning to hyperventilate.

“Enough!” Sunset interjected with a tone that silenced the room. “Get a hold of yourselves, that's an order! There are other reasons this could be manifesting. Right now, our priority is getting back to the ship. Understood?”

The team nodded. Fluttershy tried to steady her breathing while rummaging through her medical bag. Hearing the physician's rapid, hammering heartbeat, Vinyl put a hand on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “Are you alright?” She asked at a very low volume. Fluttershy nodded, still working to keep herself calm. “Y-Yes, I-I’ll be fine, j-just getting a mild sedative.” Finally, she found what she was looking for, barely controlling her shaking hands enough to load the dosage into the pneuma-hypo, carefully administering it to her shoulder. A few seconds after the hiss of the device, Fluttershy sighed, becoming noticeably calmer.

“Be advised, Commander.” Celestia spoke, “Captain Sparkle has assembled a res-” Celestia’s voice was replaced by brief static, almost instantly followed by silence.

“Celestia?” Sunset spoke, “Celestia, come in.”

Vinyl spoke, “Something’s jamming the signal, Commander. I'll keep trying to get through.”

The Commander nodded, then accessed her Uni-Comp, calling up a display of the facility and their current position. “There's an exit here…” She pointed to a spot on the holographic display, “We'll have to go up another level, and hope the way isn't compromised. Also, the ramp connected to that entrance is collapsed, so there’s a roughly thirty foot drop over some rocks and debris. Nothing we can't handle, I think. Assuming the Captain’s mounting a rescue, we might even run into them.” She looked to the others, “Okay, let’s move out.”

*****************

Spike had changed his course to meet up with the second BRONCO squad due to their closer proximity and similar intention to converge with the exploration team, if their positions on his HUD were any indication.

Spike’s ethereal wings disappeared as he landed, just as the second squad ran into view, led by Pinkie. They appeared to be running and shooting more of the zombie-like creatures.

“Spike!” Pinkie spoke, “Perfect timing! A little help, please?”

Spike drew his sidearm to shoot at the creatures, conjuring a katana of green magic energy to fight close range. He also let loose with a gout or two of green flame, setting one creature ablaze and making others seem to instinctively avoid it.

“My fire seems to be the most effective against them.” Spike commented.

“Good to know.” Pinkie said, before briefly switching to her rifle, firing at some pipes. The air around the pipes began warping, indicating a strong gas leak. She pointed at the leak, “Light it up!”

Spike nodded, breathing his green fire in the direction Pinkie indicated. The gas turned his tongue of flame into a green inferno, reducing many of the creatures and the goop itself in that corridor to ashes. The squad focused on retreating at this point, not wanting to be around in case that same gas main became a problem for them as well.

Pinkie in the lead, they were about to run down one corridor out of two, but Pinkie suddenly stopped. “Nope! Not that way!” She said, running down the other corridor instead, followed by the others.

“She’s been doing that the whole time.” One of the BRONCO’s commented, “Probably the only reason we’re still alive.”

“Her ‘Pinkie Sense.’” Spike replied with an understanding nod.

“The glop’s spreading everywhere.” Pinkie spoke in a rare serious tone, “We have to get out, or even my intuition won't help us.”

As the squad ran, they went through a door into a large room full of pipes, tanks, and hydraulics; a boiler room. Again, Pinkie stopped briefly. For a moment, she stood perfectly still, staring into space. Then she looked at Spike, a small smile on her face. Spike raised an eyebrow. Before he could say anything, Pinkie shouted, “Run! Sprint through here quick!”

They all ran as fast as they could, Pinkie and Spike in the lead. All around them, sounds of groaning pipes and straining metal could suddenly be heard. As they continued sprinting, Pinkie said to Spike, “This ends one of two ways: We all die, or we all live.” She grinned at him, “The outcome depends on you. I know you can do it, Spike! Oh, and I'm sorry.”

Spike furrowed his brow at her. “What are you talking about? Sorry for what?”

Pinkie’s body took on a pink aura, accessing her Terra Onager strength, “For this.”

Gripping his uniform, she threw the Draconian with everything she had, his body hurtling past the room’s end. Spike got to his feet just in time to see every pipe and tank above and around the squad in the room explode with black goo, covering the entire squad. Pinkie happened to be one of the few who weren't entirely covered in the substance, though that was changing quickly. She saw Spike breathing fire at the goo to keep it away from him. He then heard Pinkie giggling.

Spike looked at Pinkie like she'd suddenly grown another head. Pinkie explained, “Death smiles on everybody. The only thing we can do about it is smile back. Stay positive, Spike.” Briefly, her eyes shined the pink color of her aura.

************

Back in Lab Alpha, the artifact once again flashed, similar crystalline tones resounding.

“There it is again!” Doctor Turner said, “Any differences this time?”

Celestia’s voice reported, “The tones are different, as are the dimensions of the piece that has severed itself from the whole.”

***********

Spike tried to approach, but the slime covered Pinkie’s head quickly, fast approaching him and forcing him to close off the door. He ran to meet up with the others, Pinkie’s prophecy in his mind.

We all live, or we all die.

************

“Captain!” Rainbow reported, “I’ve just lost contact with the entire second BRONCO squad!”

Twilight cursed. The shuttle was beginning to land at the teleport site near the facility, some of which could now be seen as covered in a layer of spreading black biomass. As the shuttle landed, Twilight, Rainbow, and others grabbed backpack-sized machines with what appeared to be saddle-like seats from the shuttle walls. The group filed out quickly, two of the party also carrying secondary backpack-sized objects. Quickly, Twilight and Rainbow set down and straddled their devices, pulling up two handles. In response, the devices hovered off the ground, new portions either expanding from the device or materializing into being. Now riding larger vehicles, the team of Slider Bikes shot forward towards the facility.

**************

It didn’t take long for Spike to meet up with the exploration team, Sunset nodding to him. “Cadet.”

Spike sighed, the pain and frustration of losing so many of the crew despite his best efforts clearly weighing on him. “Both BRONCO squads are gone, Commander.”

Sunset nodded sympathetically. “The Captain’s on the way with a rescue party. We have to save as many people as we can.”

This news seemed to give Spike a second wind. “What’s the plan?”

Sunset explained the plan as the remaining crew made their way to the exit that the Commander proposed. As they did, Rarity moved close to Spike. “Are you going to be alright, Cadet?” She asked, “I can only imagine what you went through with those BRONCOs.”

Despite everything thus far, Spike smiled at Rarity’s concern. “I’ll be okay, Lieutenant. Thank you.”

Rarity smiled back. “If anyone can help us through this, it’s you.”

After an uneventful trip, they stopped at the door to the room they needed to enter, currently closed. “I have a bad feeling about this, Commander.” Spike commented.

“So do I.” Sunset replied, “Weapons and spells ready. We may need to go in shooting. Chief Scratch, can you hear anything past the door?”

Vinyl moved up to the door, adjusting her Aurophone slightly. She nodded her head at Sunset. “There are footsteps, voice utterances, and viscous liquid noises behind the door.”

“Let me breathe some fire in first thing.” Spike suggested, “They can’t withstand it very well.”

Sunset nodded, and Spike moved into place, the others readying their weapons as well. Vinyl opened the door, and Spike let loose with a blast of green flame! The fire receded, revealing nothing in the doorway. Just then, an oily tentacle whipped downward, throwing a glob of ooze that hit Spike square in the chest, knocking him to the ground! Weapons fire and magic spells erupted soon after, as zombified creatures ran into the corridor. Fluttershy was at Spike’s side quickly.

“Doctor, get back!” Spike shouted, “It’ll get you, too!”

“You know I can’t do that, Cadet!” Fluttershy said, her voice shaky but determined, “You’re the best chance we have, and I have to help you!” For an instant, her eyes glowed with her butter-yellow magic aura.

********************

Again, the artifact erupted with a flash of light and a series of crystalline chimes.

“Each light flash has a different color in the visual spectrum.” Celestia reported, “Each crystal chime, as earlier noted, is a unique set of notes.”

Time Turner didn’t respond, instead poring over an analysis of the energy readings.

********************

The black goop was beginning to spread over Fluttershy now, but to her credit, she remained focused on her work long enough to load a chemical into a spray bottle. She sprayed both Spike and herself, causing the spreading mass to suddenly begin dissolving and actually retreat from the two of them.

Spike and Fluttershy both got to their feet. “The biomass seems to be petroleum-based, so I made a strong base mixture to counteract it.”

“Well, it worked.” Spike said, “Thanks, Doc.”

Suddenly, the Physician was grabbed by multiple black tentacles and dragged away screaming towards a larger black mass gathering in the room beyond the door. “NO!” Spike shouted, Running after her, but forced to fight multiple zombified foes as Fluttershy was finally pulled into the mass. Quickly discovering that his energy sidearm had been rendered useless by dissolved ooze residue, Spike was forced to fall back, using his fire and a conjured green energy blade. Suddenly, a group of zombies managed to rush him, tackling him to the ground! His fire and strength managed to keep them off for the moment, but his hands weren't free to conjure arcane offense, and tentacles of ooze were fast approaching.

Rarity, seeing Spike in trouble, fired at two of his attackers, despite multiple zombies approaching her as well. “SPIKE!” She yelled at him. Spike’s eyes met hers, and she tossed her weapon towards him. “Make it count!” Were her last words as she then turned to fight her attackers with magic, but was ultimately dragged off kicking and screaming, her eyes taking on the momentary violet glow of her magic aura.

************

“The intervals seem random.” Time Turner said, as yet another flash occurred from the artifact, followed by a unique set of tones.

“The shape of this severed core crystal is likewise different.” Celestia added.

*************

Spike roared at Rarity’s capture, throwing one of his attackers off, grabbing the laser thrown at him, and quickly dispatching his remaining assailants. He leapt to his feet, by Rarity was long gone. Gritting his teeth in fury, he turned his barely contained rage on his enemies.

The exploration team was losing ground, being captured one at a time. “Fall back!” Sunset shouted, “Retreat!”

Everyone left was regrouping, save Spike who continued to fight ferociously, his mind clouding with rage…

“Spike!” Sunset commanded, “Let’s go!”

“NO!!” Spike howled in response, flames erupting from his mouth with every word, “KILL THEM ALL!”

Sunset cursed as she realized that Spike was losing emotional control. She ran up to him, gripping his shoulder. “Spike, you have to…”

With only rage in his mind, Spike shoved his shoulder into Sunset, knocking her off balance, and into a large lump of the ooze moving along the wall. The realization of what Spike just did shocked him back to his senses, and his blood ran cold. Sunset began to be enveloped in the black slime, until Spike burned some of it away, taking Sunset’s hand to pull her out. She tried to pull herself out of the fast-growing goop while using magic blasts from her horn.Despite both her and Spike’s efforts, more ooze flowed over Sunset, and multiple zombies were now getting closer to them. Spike used his flame on some of the ooze, but couldn't do much without burning Sunset. He pulled with a grunt, but to no avail.

“Get out of here, Cadet.” Sunset said, panting, “I can’t muster enough magic to free myself...feels like it's draining me…”

Spike replied, “No, no, we can do this Commander, maybe if I…”

“That's an order, Cadet!” Sunset snapped.

“I’m not leaving, Commander!” Spike said, his face twisted in a mask of frustration, “I won't! It's my fault you're here, and I'm getting you out!”

“Mister Dragonfire…” Sunset spoke, her tone softer now, “You made a mistake. You can make amends sometimes, but this is one of the times that you can't. Go...others still need you.”

Spike looked to the approaching zombies, then back to Sunset. “I’m sorry, Commander Shimmer.” He spoke, his voice cracking.

Sunset nodded. “I forgive you, Mister Dragonfire.”

As Spike moved off to rejoin the others, Sunset’s eyes flashed the color of her magic aura.

***************

“Why do those some of these shapes look so familiar?” Time Turner said as yet another core crystal severed itself from the cluster with the same flash of energy and musical tones.

***************

The Slider team stopped near the area of the mining facility where The remaining members of the party were supposed to be. Twilight studied her HUD; the markers were moving, but none of them towards the door. Her helmet’s optics also enabled her to see multiple hostiles through the exit.

Dismounting her bike, Twilight moved to one of the bikes equipped with a still-compact evac wagon. The driver dismounted at her request,and she took his place. “Miss Dash, take the other wagon equipped bike and follow my lead!”

“Yes, Ma’am.” Rainbow responded, having just enough time to repeat Twilight’s actions before she had to jet forward to keep up with the Captain as she sped full throttle towards the collapsed ramp section that lead to the entrance. Rainbow figured out quickly what was about to happen…

Twilight shot across the divide between the two sides of the ramp, barely landing on the other side, Dash’s bike following suit. In a hail of fire from the laser mounted weaponry, Twilight drifted to a halt in the middle of the room, her lavender spectral horn brimming with energy before a wave of magic power rippled outwards! Every zombie and slime mass in the room and a bit beyond went limp or collapsed. Wasting no time, Twilight and Rainbow activated the evac wagon attachments, which expanded and materialized into small troop transport cars connected to the bikes, a bit cramped but capable of seating up to six.

Spike and the surviving crew leapt into the wagons. In a burst of impelling energy, the Sliders sped back toward the exit...only to suddenly screech to a halt and move to avoid the massive wall of ooze that fell downward over the hole. Everyone shouted or cursed at this.

Twilight called forth her spectral horn once more, firing a powerful magic blast at the wall of moving ooze. While a massive hole was created, it re-sealed far too quickly to be a viable means of escape. It was then that a voice could suddenly be heard...a voice resembling a chorus of deep, gurgling voices speaking as one; partly heard by their ears and partly heard in their minds.

THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

The crew became visibly agitated at the ominous words spoken by the chilling voice. “Everyone stay calm.” Twilight spoke in a confident tone, despite not quite feeling all that confident herself. She activated her Uni-Comp to look at the now all too familiar landscape of the ruins. She pointed at one area of the display to Rainbow. “I noticed that this area was relatively untouched by the slime.” She traced her finger along a path of corridors, into a certain room. “If we take this path, we can get there...then we either find a hole or make one, and have the shuttle pick us up.”

Rainbow nodded. “Looks like a tight fit, but I think we can do it without having to ditch the bikes.”

With that, the bikes and their passengers zoomed out of the room, down the corridor, the passengers taking pot shots or swings at the occasional zombie or slime lump that got too close. Spike tried to remain focused, but he couldn’t stop thinking about the friends he’d lost to this...whatever it was; one of those losses he’d even contributed to. Sunset’s forgiveness and the willingness of his friends to sacrifice themselves to help him aside, it still weighed on his mind and heart. Suddenly, he felt something blindside him across the head, causing him to lose his balance and fall from the wagon!

The resulting chorus of Spike’s name being shouted got Rainbow’s attention. She looked back to see Spike trying to get to his feet while throwing off one zombie and fighting against another while breathing fire at a third one. Two more were closing in on him.

Rainbow cursed. Fortunately, she had made it to the room where they were headed, following Twilight. Immediately, she materialized her cyan-colored ethereal wings and shot off back through the door, hearing Twilight’s protest as she went. Just as Spike was about to be dogpiled, a cyan blur struck into two of the zombies, knocking them over, and allowing Spike to throw off his remaining attacker.

He got to his feet, materializing a sword-shaped green magic. He beheaded one zombie while Rainbow struck another one with a magic energy mace of her own creation. “Thanks!” Spike said.

“Like I said, I never leave my comrades behind, and that includes you!” Rainbow replied, “Now let’s jet!” Her eyes flashed a brief cyan glow as she spoke.

*********************

“Another split from the core crystals, Doctor.” Celestia reported.

“Right.” Time Turner responded absently, currently attempting to correlate the crystal “songs” to other known magic songs, finding some comparisons to ancient magic tunes and compiling the results.

*********************

Spike and Rainbow took wing and soared to the door. They flew in and the door was immediately closed and sealed, with Twilight burning a protective ward onto the door with her laser and then empowering it with magic. Twilight spoke to Rainbow, “On the record: That was reckless, Rainbow, and you shouldn’t have done it.” She then sighed, “Off the record: Thank you.”

Rainbow nodded, “Understood, ma’am.”

She nodded and smiled at Spike, who did the same. As much as both wanted to better express their mutual joy for each other’s current well being, appropriateness and protocol presently forbid it. Twilight walked to the nearest window, not seeing any of the black substance nearby. Mentally commanding an open channel to the shuttle, she attempted communication...nothing, the interference remained. She turned to Rainbow, “Lieutenant, I need you to fly to the shuttle and bring it back for an evac, on the double.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” She replied. The window was opened and Rainbow flew outward. Once she was a fair distance out, something happened, and suddenly a massive wave of flying zombies swarmed out towards her!

“RAINBOW!” Twilight shouted, watching the swarm overtake the Pegasos. While Rainbow’s speed might have saved her, her foes were able to throw excess ooze from their bodies, forcing her to evade rather than focus on speed; the sheer volume of ooze being thrown at her was enough to obscure her flight and allow her to be captured.

Spike cursed and struck a wall, smoke coming from his nostrils. “They don’t like my fire.” He spoke to Twilight, “I can...”

“Absolutely not.” Twilight spoke in a stern voice that brooked no argument. “There’s too many of them...and there may be another way.”

“Captain!” Vinyl shouted. “They’re headed straight for us!”

Everyone watched as the large cluster of flying zombies flew towards the room where the remaining crew were. “Defensive positions!” Twilight commanded, prompting the crew to draw weapons or prepare offensive magic spells. While the barrage of blasts were causing many of the zombified flyers to drop, it wasn’t enough. Twilight began to sweat heavily, her brow creased in effort as she fired multiple area effect blasts to annihilate large groups of enemies. The group had barely managed to eliminate the entire wave; Twilight breathed heavily in mild exhaustion, leaning against a wall.

“The skies are clear right now.” Spike said, “Could I try for the shuttle now?”

Twilight shook her head, “The skies only look clear, Mister Dragonfire...besides, I want to try another way first.”

The Captain stood upright once more, and explained, “Even though this thing’s interfering with our teleportation, theoretically speaking, most kinds of interference or blocks against teleportation can be beaten if the spell has enough raw power behind it.”

“Even if we could contact the ship, Ma’am...” Spike retorted, “We couldn’t muster that kind of power even with the combined magic of the ship and the full crew. You’d need to somehow tap into a rich Ley Line, or a large Mana Nebula, or...”

“The artifact.” Twilight spoke. “Even now, in what I believe to be a dormant state, that artifact was burning with energy. It’s full power is probably incalculable. If I were to tap into it, activate it with a spell…”

“Are you serious!?” Spike said incredulously, briefly ignoring protocol. “Tapping into a natural mana source is dangerous enough, if that thing gives you any kind of feedback…!”

“It won’t, Spike.” Twilight said, likewise forgetting protocol. She showed him whatever real-time data her Unicomp had received from Doctor Turner prior to entering the communications dampening field that their enemy had somehow established. “Because we know what it is now...it’s Harmony.”

Spike looked at the readings with far more interest now. Twilight continued, “In the latest entries before the interference stopped the transmission, some kind of process had begun. If I’m remembering the ancient legend correctly, than I know precisely what’s it’s doing, and what I have to do...I only hope that it accepts me.”

Before Spike could inquire further, Vinyl’s voice rang out again, “INCOMING!”

A new, larger wave of flying beasts were fast approaching. Twilight spoke, “Quickly, Spike, help me to prepare the runes!”

Spike did so, while the crew frantically fired at the new enemies. Without Twilight’s aid, they threatened to easily overtake the remnant. Globs of ooze came through the windows, striking crew members before spreading over them to keep them immobile. Working quickly, Spike and Twilight finished the circle of runes, just as Vinyl fell. Now it was only the two of them still standing.

“Now what?” Spike asked. The flying zombies were almost upon them, their ragged, ooze-covered wings somehow achieving flight.

“Stand back.” Twilight replied. The Draconian did so, watching as his Equestrian surrogate sister’s ethereal horn glowed brightly, followed by her eyes, and then her entire body. The runes glowed bright, and her body began to levitate from the floor. Meanwhile, some of the flying horrors had made it to the windows, crawling in and approaching where the two remaining people stood.

Suddenly, she gasped, and in a flash of brilliant white light, she fell to her knees, the runes and the aura surrounding her having gone dark.

“Twilight!? TWILIGHT!!” Spike asked, kneeling in front of her and looking frantically at the creatures that resumed their approach after being momentarily disoriented by the flash of light and energy. Twilight opened her eyes, looking at her surrogate brother with glowing white eyes and a smile.

******************

“Good Elysium!” Time Turner spoke, lowering his hand from his eyes, “That was FAR more intense than the others!”

“Only one of the core crystals remains unchanged at this time, Doctor.” Celestia spoke.

******************

Time stopped. Silence prevailed. In Spike’s mind, he heard Twilight speaking softly, “I am Chosen, Spa’iik. All that remains now is for the Chosen to be united with the Elements, and Harmony can return.”

“I don’t understand.” Spike responded in thought, “What Chosen? What Elements?”

“Harmony is not a single entity, but many as one.” Twilight conveyed, "Not simply artifacts, but bearers as well. The Chosen are linked with their Elements now, save one. When it is done, we shall be reborn anew, and the Chaotic Dark can be defeated.”

“Who is the one that remains?” Spike asked.

In response, Twilight placed a hand on Spike’s face. “Remember what you do, and why you do it. Be strong.”

Spike felt a familiar energy surround him. His eyes widened in realization when he noticed a tear go down Twilight’s face. “No...What are you doing? Why aren’t you coming with me??”

Another tear rolled down Twilight’s cheek. Her smile remained. “I have to stay as an anchor point, or you won’t make it. I know you can do it, but if the worst happens...I also want you to remember this…”

Tears streaked down Spike’s pained face. “NO! NOT YOU, TOO! STOP!! PLEASE!!!”

“I love you, Spike.”

“TWIIIIIILLIIIIIIGHT!!!” Spike’s thoughts screamed as he felt himself phase out in a flash of light. An instant later, perceptions of time and space returned, and Twilight was overwhelmed.

*********************

The doors to Lab Alpha opened, and a blonde Pegasos crew member with a lazy eye ran in. Her uniform had gray color portions, and the Mark she bore was a cluster of bubbles. “Doctor! You’re needed on the Bridge!”

Time Turner looked to his friend and crewmember. “What? Me? Isn’t Heartstrings at my post?”

“Not for that!” Ensign Ditzy “Muffins” Doo replied, “Most of the senior officers were on the planet...you’re the next in command.”

Suddenly, Spike flashed into being inside Lab Alpha, roaring in utter pain and despair.

Ditzy gasped. “Bloody Tartarus!” Turner yelled. The Science Officer was at the Cadet’s side quickly. “Cadet? What’s wrong? Are you alright??”

Spike could only remain on the floor, sobbing. His emotions were out of control; sadness, self-loathing, frustration, and so many other negative emotions fought for dominance. One thought came to the surface in his agony…

It’s the dream… He thought, I’ve failed them all, I wasn’t good enough, I failed when they all needed me the most…

Then, an alien voice resounded in his mind, Yes, child...you’ve lost. Your life and the lives of all you hold dear will be fed upon.

This intruder caused the emotion of anger to win out in Spike’s mind, if only briefly. “MONSTER! MURDERER! What are you!? What do you want??”

To feed. The voice responded, To grow, to thrive....and though your comrades sate me for now, I will need more...always more. I grow stronger as I feed, as well….strong enough to do THIS.

Suddenly, the ship rocked hard! The voice continued, My name shall be the word that I have heard echoed in the minds of those I have captured...I am TARR.

Spike’s sobs returned. The ship rocked once again, struck by another force wave. “Th-They’re gone because of me…” He choked out.

“What?” Turner asked.

Gone...because of you… Echoed Tarr’s dark voice.

Spike continued, “I-I failed. I don’t deserve to…”

A hard slap to Spike’s face suddenly came from the unlikeliest of sources. “Ditzy?” Turner spoke in surprise.

Ditzy glared at Spike, her eyes in a rare moment of focus. “No! You’re NOT saying that! I won’t let you!” Spike turned his head away, but it was then gripped roughly, and he was forced to look Ditzy in the eyes. “I don’t know what happened down there, but I don’t have to! I know for a FACT that it’s not your fault! The only time you’ve EVER failed is right now, because you’re giving up!”

“I did try, but I couldn’t…” Spike began, but Ditzy cut him off...

“People have limits. Sometimes they stop trying when they realize those limitations and then find something they CAN do, or sometimes they keep going until they finally succeed and push themselves to a new limit. That’s ONE thing.”

Ditzy’s eyes were on the verge of tears, now. “What you’re doing right now is thinking you’re not good enough, and will never be good enough ever for anything, and you start wondering why you even exist, and that’s WRONG! THAT’S WRONG, DO YOU UNDERSTAND!? Believe me, I know! You don’t have to be the best, you don’t need to be the best. You ARE good enough. We ALL are.”

The ship rocked even more violently, now. Tarr’s voice echoed in everyone’s consciousness, Bring your ship closer, or I will rip it to pieces!

Ditzy winced from the voice, but lightly shook her head and said to Spike, “Please...please get up. We need you. You can get past this, you’re the strongest person I know!”

Had Time Turner’s eyes lit up any more at that point, they would have glowed like Twilight’s. “GREAT WICKERING STALLIONS! THAT’S IT!!”

Both Spike and Ditzy looked to the Doctor, who hastily explained, “The artifact! It’s Harmony! It was never ONE thing, or even just a THING! It’s people, as well! It’s been choosing! It’s been choosing all along!” He took a breath to slow down and gather his thoughts, then continued, “Harmony is the collection of multiple elements of balance, friendship, good will, and unity made manifest. The components required for it’s use are both physical and metaphysical in nature.” He motioned to the artifact and the core crystals that were now all separate, all but one of them having taken a new shape. “The physical talismans must have individuals linked to them as well! Individuals that embody each trait of Harmony found in each talisman.”

He looked at the artifacts. “These...Elements of Harmony...have been actively choosing their Bearers to become their Avatars, Bearers whom I daresay already felt an initial connection….all but one has already been chosen, it seems.”

Spike understood what Twilight said to him, then, and had an idea of what the Science Officer would say next.

Turner knelt down to Spike’s side. “Seven Equestrians have been chosen, but the last Avatar will not be an Equestrian. One of the translated words is in Draconian, Mister Dragonfire. The translation was “Strength,” was it not? Surely you feel a connection? Why has it not clearly chosen you? I believe I know the answer. It sees and knows your potential, but you must make the connection, show the Element that you are it’s proper Bearer. The way to do that is to stand up...to keep going.”

Again the ship shook. Doctor Turner’s Mark icon on his uniform lit up. First, an accented female voice reported, “Captain! This is Master Chief Melody in Engineering. We’re reading stress and warping on the hull in multiple places!”

A male voice spoke next, “Captain, This is Lieutenant Thunderlane on the Bridge. I’m seeing a lot of humanoid shapes on the viewscreen approaching our position in orbit...estimated time to arrival is two hours, but it’s hard to tell without detecting them on scanners.”

Another female voice came through, “Captain, This is Nurse Redheart. I’m getting an overflow of patients reporting hearing voices and getting bad headaches. Permission to use Hangar 1 to contain the overflow?”

“Bloody Tartarus.” Turner spoke. At mental command, he opened a channel to each one to give his instructions. “Master Chief Melody, mobilize damage control teams wherever you can, evacuate and contain the areas that are left, in case the damage points buckle before you get to them. Leftenant Thunderlane, raise shields, arm weapons, and fire at whatever’s in range, inform Chief Bon to mobilize all BRONCO squads and prepare for boarders. Nurse Redheart, permission granted. Inform all patients that the reason for the symptoms is an entity of the Chaotic Dark and that they are to ignore the voices as best they can. Treat all other symptoms to the best of your ability. Turner out.”

“Wow.” Ditzy said.

“Thank you, I have my moments.” Turner said. He then said to Spike, “I don’t want to lead, but I must because no one else can. Furthermore, it is my duty, and my responsibility to do so. Ask yourself, Mister Dragonfire...what is your duty? What is your responsibility?”

Spike remembered Twilight’s words to him then: Remember what you do, and why you do it. He did it to assist as many people as he could. He wanted to help. He wanted to be there for people, to be someone that they could rely on. He wanted to care for his friends. He did care, and they cared for him in return, even when he couldn’t help…

What are you doing?

“Good man.”

You can’t win.

“I know you can do it, Spike!”

You are nothing.

“You’re the best chance we have.”

You are a fool.

“If anyone can help us through this, it’s you.”

You failed them!

“I forgive you, Mister Dragonfire.”

You are alone!

“I never leave my comrades behind, and that includes you!”

They don’t care about you!!

“I love you, Spike.”

YOU ARE WEAK!!!

“No…” Spike spoke, “For them...I am STRONG.”

In that instant, his eyes flashed green. A flash of light came from the artifact, followed by a crystal tune. The last chunk of the core crystal shaped itself, like the others had...shapes that were now obvious to the Bearers they represented: An apple, a balloon, a butterfly, a diamond, a sun, a lightning bolt, a star...and now a flame.

With all eight Elements of Harmony now linked, the outer crystal shell seemed to phase out, it’s solid form being transformed into energy and absorbed into the Elements themselves. Slowly, they floated over to Spike, who had gotten to his feet and now allowed the talismans to orbit him. The crystal shaped like a green flame came to rest against his chest, before phasing into his body. With a gasp, Spike felt a sudden rush of power unlike anything he’d ever felt!

“Good Elysium.” Time Turner whispered with awe. “Are you alright, Mister Dragonfire?”

Spike looked to the Terra Onager with a smile. “I’ve never felt better in my life.” He looked to Ditzy, who was likewise smiling. “Thank you both.”

“So what happens now?” Ditzy asked.

“The other Element Bearers are still alive down there.” Spike said, to the surprise of the other two, “I can feel it through my own Element. Tarr’s still feeding off of everyone down there, but I think they’ll be okay if I can free them in time.”

“Right!” Turner said, “We can send in another shuttle with a fighter escort to…”

“That won’t be necessary, Doctor.” Spike said, holding up a hand. He manifested spectral wings that now burned with green energy, drawing power from the Element of Strength. “I’ve got this.”

Before anyone could respond, he blinked out in a flash of green energy.

*********************

A small comet of green flame rocketed through the center of the flying horde of zombies, incinerating all within proximity. At the center was Spike, blazing like an inferno. When he neared the mining facility, he unfurled burning wings, smashing through a window, and summoning a pair of magic blades that burned with emerald fury. A torrent of flame from his mouth annihilated any ooze or zombies in his vicinity; and from there, he began making his way to his friends in the lowest area of the facility where he knew them to be, hacking and incinerating any and all foes manifested by Tarr as he moved down lower and lower..

STAY AWAY!! Tarr shouted in his mind, I WILL CRUSH YOU!!

“No, you won’t.” Spike simply replied.

Spike found himself flying over a lagoon of ooze that also coated the walls, the ooze trying but unable to even come near Spike’s flaming aura, further powered by the other Elements orbiting him as he moved. At last, he came to a closed door, coated in the black slime like everything else. Drawing in a breath, Spike let loose a flame blast like a miniature solar flare. When the flame subsided, the door and surrounding corridor was half melted and ooze free. With his strength amplified several fold by his Element, Spike bent and forced the blast door open. This chamber led to one of the deeper mine shafts that the facility was built around, and it was the largest and slimiest looking of them all, ooze dripping and sliding around every rock face, wall, ceiling, and piece of equipment. multiple cocoons of slime, no doubt carrying crew members, could be seen all over.

At the center of the room, some of the ooze coalesced and formed into a lump which grew until it was thick around the base and as tall as Spike himself. Spike fired a gout of flame at the mass, only for it to remain there, diminished but reforming quickly.

You will not stop me! This is where I am most powerful! Tarr spoke, oily tentacles protruding from his still-growing form.

“You’re right, Tarr.” Spike said, “Because everyone has limits, and some tasks are impossible to do alone.”

The other Elements flew off to their respective Bearers, while Spike dodged an attack by a tentacle, slicing another one off neatly with a flaming blade. “But I'm not alone, and I don't have to be.”

Each Element found whichever cocoon contained it's Bearer, phasing past the ooze. The amber-colored apple representing the Element of Truth empowered Applejack, who burst out of her cocoon with a kick and a flash of energy. The pink crystal balloon of the Element of Laughter floated into Pinkie Pie like the object it symbolized, who in turn popped her cocoon open, releasing sparks that looked suspiciously like confetti.

Spike continued, “When people work together, combining their abilities...virtues balance flaws; the difficult becomes easier, and limits can be overcome.”

The butter yellow butterfly crystal representing the Element of Kindness phased into the cocoon holding Fluttershy, allowing the Physician to emerge empowered. The white diamond shaped gem of the Element of Generosity entered the body of Rarity, allowing her to escape from her very unfashionable prison. The cyan colored lightning bolt gem that was the Element of Loyalty made it’s way into Rainbow Dash, who practically obliterated her cocoon in a surge of power.

Slicing two tentacles at once, and then soaring high to avoid two ooze projectiles, Spike went on, “THAT is the very essence of Harmony. THAT is why it’s one of the greatest powers in the universe.”

The red sun-shaped gem called the Element of Forgiveness found it’s mark in Sunset Shimmer, who burned away her cocoon like the star she represented. Finally, the six-pointed star crystal known as the Element of Magic had entered the body of Twilight Sparkle, her ooze prison vaporizing against the power she brought to bear. Meanwhile, a large group of zombies ran into the room as several tentacles shot out at Spike while slime balls attempted to strike him from all directions. Three of them connected, multiple tentacles wrapping themselves around him. Despite his flame breath retaliation, some tentacles still held firm.

Just then, a beam of red sliced through all of the gripping tentacles. A falling Spike was caught by two Pegasi, one of which renewed his vigor with a gentle wave of healing magic. The three of them landed after an area was cleared of zombies by two Equestrians wielding bludgeoning mana weapons while empowered by staggering strength-boost auras. More slime projectiles were thrown at the gathering group, easily blocked by a lavender shield spell.

As all his friends gathered around him, Spike said, “THAT...is why friendship is magic.”

NO!! I REFUSE TO BE HELD BACK AGAIN! Tarr shouted, I WILL CONSUME YOU ALL!! He grew more, masses of tentacles flowing from his body, more zombies moving into the room.

Twilight held out her hand. Spike laid his hand upon hers, the others following suit. Tendrils of mana flowed from each of them, coalescing and strengthening into a powerful orb of polychromatic magic power. The orb grew, sparking with power, until it finally erupted outward, the wave of intense power dissolving any ooze it touched! The wave moved outward, eventually encompassing the entire facility, before it finally vanished.

The new Avatars of Harmony looked around them. All trace of Tarr was gone, the captured crew members freed. Twilight activated her communicator, “Celestia, lock onto our position, emergency teleport to infirmary!”

“Acknowledged, Captain.” Celestia’s voice replied, loud and clear.

*********************

“Captain’s Log, #3348…” Twilight spoke, “Following an encounter and confrontation with a Chaotic Dark ‘Smooze’ entity known as ‘Tarr,’ the crew of the Celestia are thankfully all alive and recovering, the vessel herself slightly damaged but otherwise fully operational. In the event that Tarr has not truly been eliminated, I am officially placing a quarantine on this planet, dispatching a message buoy to warn others away from this world until a mission to determine it’s safety can be underway. Also, I am overjoyed to report a momentous occasion that will without a doubt be a turning point for Equestrian civilization; we have once again found the magic known as Harmony! I and seven others of my crew have been chosen as Avatars of Harmony, each of us bearing one of the eight Elements. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this magic of friendship will come to serve us well in our time of greatest need.”

Upon completion of Twilight’s log, Spike stowed the logpad back into the command chair before going to a lift. Before he entered, Sunset spoke, “Mister Dragonfire? May I join you for a moment?”

“Of course, Ma’am.” Spike replied. The two of them entered, the doors hissing shut.

“So…” Susnet spoke, “I understand you’re close to being an Ensign, but you’ve yet to pick a specialty?”

“That’s...correct, Ma’am.” Spike responded, trying not to roll his eyes.

Sunset continued, “I know you realize that a Quarter Tech is a tough job...impossible, daresay. If I may ask, why do you continue to pursue that career path?”

Spike was silent for a moment, then explained, “I want to help people, Commander. I want to be able to assist anyone who needs it. I want to be everywhere at once. That said, I understand now that I may not be able to achieve that goal. Still, I’ve chosen to keep trying, because while I realize that all people have limitations, I don’t truly know what mine are...not yet, anyway. Bear in mind, not only am I not an Equestrian, but now I’m apparently the Avatar of Strength. Who knows? Maybe I will be the first successful career Quarter Tech in generations. I’ll never know unless I find out.”

Sunset smiled. “Valid points, all. However, if it turns out that being a Quarter Tech doesn’t work out, I have a suggestion for a career path that could still fulfill your desire to help as many people as possible.”

“Yes…?” Spike urged.

Sunset explained further, “While you’ve made a mistake or two on this mission, your overall performance today was excellent. With your diverse skillset, intuition, courage, responsible nature, and desire to make a difference, I’d personally expect nothing less from you than a Command role.”

Spike blinked. He was ambitious, but not by THAT much! Still, she had a point...a Captaincy or Admiralty would make him much more able to make a real difference, a position of both leadership and service simultaneously. The fact that Sunset saw such a future for him was a great compliment, as she herself made a fantastic leader...Smart, courageous, and empathetic to the needs of others, well-deserving of her own ship! In fact, didn’t she actually have a command, once?

“I’ll...give it some thought.” He said, trying to suppress an odd surge of greed as his thoughts dwelled on what he could do with the privileges of a Captain.

“That’s all I ask.” Sunset replied. The doors opened, and Spike was about to leave, when suddenly, Rainbow’s voice came over his communicator, “Dash to Dragonfire!”

“Dragonfire, here.” Spike replied.

“We’ve got two Adamacanid Drillers coming in with smaller ships! Probably looking for those three ships we destroyed earlier.” Rainbow spoke, “Get to Hangar two, Captain’s ordered fighters, and I need a wingman! Let's ride!"

Spike smiled. “Yes, Ma’am! On my way!” He rushed back into the lift and commanded the lift to the Hangar.

“I’ll tell Miss Pie to postpone the session.” Sunset said as the doors closed. Spike said nothing, but had a feeling that, knowing Pinkie, She'd probably appear in the fighter with him just before launch.

As the Draconian stood in the moving lift, his thoughts wandered…

For generations we've wandered the stars, searching for a place where we can all live in harmony. None of us knows when that day will come. But we do know this: as long as there is discord in the universe, we will fight. I serve onboard the Celestia, and tonight we ride. Quarter Tech, Mark: 'Dragonfire', Division M-6.

You can call me Spike.

*********************

Somewhere in the galaxy, a voice spoke:

“Did someone say...DISCORD?”

Maniacal laughter rang out.

Author's Note:

FINALLY! DONE AT LAST! This would have been a four part episode, but I figured there wouldn't be enough content and I wanted to move on to other episodes.