• Published 27th May 2012
  • 15,443 Views, 513 Comments

Role Reversal - JaketheGinger



Spike makes a wish that swaps his life with Twilight's and learns a few life lessons along the way.

  • ...
21
 513
 15,443

A Final Glimpse

Twilight’s eyes rapidly flickered open. “Hello?! Where am I?!”

She was in a seemingly endless white void, her voice echoing off into the distance. She couldn’t see anypony around. There wasn’t even gravity to keep her company.

She turned around in the air, spotting something else that was white. But this was one of the most powerful creatures she had ever known.

“Mom!” Twilight swam through the air, making her way to Celestia. The Princess’ horn glowed furiously, her eyes closed. She opened them slowly and it was easily apparent how tired she was.

Twilight stopped, floating before her surrogate mother. “What’s wrong?! What’s happened?!”

“Everything will be fine, Twilight.” Celestia smiled weakly, pulling the filly over to her with her huge wing. “I just wanted to show you something. Something very special.”

Twilight’s eyes darted around. “What? There’s nothing here!”

The sound of magic being cast could be heard, as a beam of yellow magic went from Celestia’s horn to the space in front of the two. The beam split into two and followed a set path, meeting each other in the middle and forming a flat square. Inside the square, an image materialised. Twilight gawked at the image, rubbing her eyes to make sure it was real.

“Is...is that...?”

“Yes, Twilight. That is you.”

The square presented Twilight as an adult, standing next to her best friends. Her face was the true definition of joy and contentment.

“I look so...happy.” The unicorn looked to Celestia, so many questions in her head. Luckily, the alicorn seemed to have mind reading abilities.

“We are in the void. I have managed to separate ourselves from reality, for just a moment. I wanted to see how you had changed.” Twilight listened to her, but went to staring at her adult self. “And I think you needed to.”

“Do we stay here forever, then?”

“No, for the magic of the wish is too powerful. It is currently setting things straight once again. I have managed to split ourselves off from the real world, but soon the wish’s magic will overpower and we will disappear from this realm and forget that any of this ever happened.” Despite her weary state, her tone was still as patient as ever.

Twilight slowly nodded, becoming more enamoured with herself as an adult. “That’s me...and I look so confident. So satisfied with life...” She blinked, noticing a smaller figure in the image. “And that’s Spike? He looks...” The filly looked down at her hooves, then back at Spike. “A bit like me...how can you do this?”

“Being here allows me to peer into the world and view it from an outsider’s perspective...” Celestia said, sounding fatigued.

The image sparked with magic and it suddenly vanished into thin air. Twilight looked to Celestia, who was visibly strained with the effort of maintaining such a spell.

Twilight snuggled up against the alicorn. “Is it almost time...?”

Celestia looked down, wrapping both wings around the filly, locking the two in an embrace. “Yes, Twilight, it is. Are you scared?”

“Not anymore, no.” Twilight rubbed her head lovingly against her mother, who nuzzled the filly’s head in return. Twilight smiled brightly, but there were tears in her eyes.

“I’m...I’m happy.”

The two stayed there, never breaking apart from one another. They endured their fates and faded from the void.

Author's Note:

"JJ, what the hay is this?!" I hear you cry. Well, I'm here to answer that.

This is a scene that I've felt for a long time that should be in the story. This was Spike's story predominately, but it was also filly Twilight's too. I felt that some final closure on her story would be fitting, hence why this exists. It's probably very weird yes, but I kinda like it.

Comments ( 36 )

A nice little addition to wrap things up.

Good story, grand ending. I love it.

That was a great story^^

What? That universe is ceasing to exist??:twilightoops:
Oh dear!:fluttercry:
...regardless, this was very fun. Very fun indeed.:twilightsmile:

Bravo! A wonderful heart touching story finally brought to a majestic end. Loved every chapter since this was first published and I am left wholly satisfied with the result. Bravo indeed :twilightsmile:

So if this universe is fading, does that mean Twilight won't realize her mistake then?

1986451

No, she already did last chapter. This is basically a bonus chapter.

That is some closure to for filly Twilight in the wish world, but I feel like it could have been in the last chapter, but then again I guess it would take the mystery of whether everyone remembers the wish or not at the very end.

It's kind of ironic now that I think about it. When Rainbow Dash was complaining to Spike about her worries about Spike's wish erased everything that she did and it sparked an arguement about whether her worries are real or not. But here it seems this is what happened in the wish world, everything ended up changing back to normal and all the actions that everyone in that world did is erased like it never happened. Now the final and true question of this story is did a week actually passed by in the real world just like in Spike's wish world or did Spike's final wish sent him back in time to the day after Spike's wish was made? I'm asking if Spike in the next day after he made the wish or did he wake up in the time after the week's event has passed by, meaning did anyone remember what they did last week or the day before Spike's wish?

1986879
From the way I see it, it is more like a scene that could've happened in either of the last two chapters but didn't. However it is indeed the final closure to the wish world or techinically the warped reality of the wish Spike made and everything is returning as it should just like Spike's wish.

And the story comes to a close. I'm glad neither of them forgot completely about the experience, even if one was only for a few moments. Thanks for the ride, Gingerhooves; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I somehow managed to miss this chapter when I read the previous one :twilightsheepish:

Anywho, this was some very nice closure for filly Twilight. Well played :twilightsmile:

well its over the story is over....and i think i just got an orgasm of a ficgasm or whatever to call it good fucking work you made the fandom proud

Nice but it was really unclear at the very start what was going on and that it was meant to be filly Twilight til Celestia makes it clear. Otherwise it was cute.

It kinda feels like it was all for nothing now. I guess a couple things changed But I would like to think they all have the memories of that time still, just kinda repressed in there minds. :moustache:

Ah...I like. :pinkiehappy:

Great ending to a very good story. :pinkiesmile:

Holy freaking Celestia, LETS GIVE THIS AUTHOR A HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE!!!!!! *claps ecstatically* Just for you, a :scootangel:

1998261

This might be what you're looking for, right here.

So many feels.
i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/439/846/99f.gif

This truly was a great story, and you should feel good for writing it.

Bravo!!! Amazing read!!!!:heart:

I just re-read this, and I thought that you would be happy to know that it stands the test of time! It's just as fantablous as when I read it 11 weeks ago!:pinkiehappy::rainbowhuh:

beautiful story :pinkiesad2:

2643136 Dude, 50 weeks, 4 days, and 12 chapters ago... How the hell am I supposed to know what either of us were talking about? If memory serves, the point was that Spike was being a much better caretaker than Twilight was and was including her in his life.

2897383 Spike hates Daring Do

3160331 they live together. That tends to suggest they spend time together.

3160331

But this happens even in real relationships all the time, usually by accident. Having the sense of entitlement that "I shouldn't have to tell you, you should just know," is really stupid and immature and usually ends relationships and friendships. Communication is extremely important in any relationship. Voicing your thoughts and feelings is important. Neither of them is fully at fault or fully in the right.

Finally finished this story. :yay:

Sad but happy ending.:pinkiesad2::pinkiehappy:

>mfw you realize one of your all time favorite fics was written by Jakey.

I don't have a proper idea that can express my face. :heart:

6002092

:heart: :heart:

God it was so long ago when I wrote this...

And according to the multiverse theory there's a universe where the parallel universe didn't cease to exist. The fact that it existed at all means that somewhere in space and time those actions happened whether they affect everyone or not because their actions live on in Spike's memory.

Wonderful story, leagues above many others I've read. And maybe in a few years I'll be back to reread this again.

So was it that Twi regressed and Spike progressed and everyone's memories were rewritten or it was an alternate universe?

I'm kinda sad Spike forgot to include the "Everyone remembers this" clause in the second wish but it was pretty nice.

Fantastic :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment