• Published 27th May 2012
  • 15,432 Views, 513 Comments

Role Reversal - JaketheGinger



Spike makes a wish that swaps his life with Twilight's and learns a few life lessons along the way.

  • ...
21
 513
 15,432

New Days, Old Routines.

The dawn of a new day. The start of an old routine.

Such was the life of Spike, Twilight Sparkle’s helper and friend. But now he was beginning to feel more like the former than the latter.

Everyday was usually the same. Get up early (too early for Spike’s taste), make and eat breakfast, begin chores, have some breaks and eat some more, finish chores, sleep (again, way too early, but this was because Spike got so tired from his chores). Almost every waking day of Spike’s life was like this. Sure, perhaps he’d get longer breaks one day or go to a party another. Maybe sometimes the chores were slightly different, but it all felt the same to him.

In Canterlot, it wasn’t so bad. Sure, he got out a lot less, but Twilight was always around to talk to. Ever since the two arrived in Ponyville, however, Twilight had become a lot more distant from studying and reading. The magic of friendship had simply overwhelmed her.

Spike knew this was a good thing though for Twilight but it meant that he was often left alone to finish his daily tasks. Okay, not exactly alone, but Owlowiscious wasn’t the best conversationalist and neither was Peewee, although he did love that phoenix a lot.

Regardless, two birds for company were nothing compared to the friends Twilight had. Occasionally Spike was part of their group for events and social outings, but he never felt like a permanent part of their friendship circle. He just felt like an add on; he contributed, but wasn’t really needed to complete the package that was the six ponies. In short, he felt replaceable.
It wasn’t like they didn’t care, for they definitely all did, but if he was really a part of their group, why wasn’t he invited to all of the things they did together?

It had gotten to the point where Spike needed to stick a picture of him on top of another picture of the six, just to feel like he belonged. Was this his life? Forced to be called a friend...yet serve one unquestionably at the same time? It didn’t make sense anymore. It didn’t feel right. It didn’t feel fair. But Spike soldiered on. He didn’t know what the consequences would be if he rebelled against the system and he didn’t want to find out. So he kept on trucking.

He rose from his bed and rubbed his eyes. He always felt tired in the morning. And hungry. Breakfast would serve to make him fully awake. As he hopped out of his bed, he looked at Twilight. She was still asleep, curled up in her bed sheets, but she’d awake soon and would expect breakfast.

Spike groggily headed downstairs, yawning a couple times. He soon entered the ‘food room’, as the two called it because it was basically a kitchen but it lacked the all important oven, a staple of all kitchens. Still, it did have many cupboards, a sink and a fridge. The lack of an oven was down to the fact that breakfast was the only meal which was guaranteed to be made in the library, at least on a daily basis. For lunch and dinner, the pair could just eat out.

Opening a cupboard, Spike was greeted to the sight of shining gems. A fitting breakfast for today, he thought. The sight of them alone was enough to make the dragon more alert. He grabbed a few and carelessly scoffed them down, licking his lips in delight afterwards and patting his belly.

Sated, he began to prepare Twilight’s breakfast, which didn’t take too long; she never had a big breakfast. A bowl of oats and milk was enough for her.

Spike closed the gem cupboard by kicking it and walked over to another, which contained bowls and plates. Grabbing an average sized bowl, he closed the cupboard door and wandered over to the table. It was a small, low table just big enough for two, with simple, brown cushions for seats.

Heading back over to the cupboards, he opened yet another. This one contained more conventional pony foods. He picked up a box of oats, which on the front read: ‘Daring Do’s adventure oats’. A pretty unoriginal and uncreative name, Spike thought.

Leaving the food cupboard open, he returned to the table and opened the oat box. He gently poured the oats into the bowl, filling it up just right. To his surprise, a packet dropped from the box. Raising an eyebrow, he plucked the packet from the bowl, shaking it to get rid of spare oats. Inside the transparent packet was a little figure of Daring Do.

“What the...?”

Confused, Spike checked the front of the box. In a brightly coloured banner in the corner, with bold text inside, said:

“Free Daring Do toy inside! Collect them all!”

Spike looked back to the toy, examining it from different angles.

“Huh...Twilight will want that then.” He propped the figurine on the table, next to the bowl and closed the oat box and picked it up.

"She'll probably use the toy as an excuse to see Rainbow Dash..." Spike thought to himself, as he put the oat box back into its rightful place.

He had begun to come to the conclusion that Twilight only did things for herself when it involved her friends. Anything else was Spike's problem. Need a new quill? Spike will get it. Fluttershy's in trouble? Twilight will sort that out. Not Spike, he'll be too busy dusting the rooms of the library.

Spike sighed heavily and headed for the fridge. It was a pretty small one, covered completely in white. The two didn’t really store much in here. He opened it and was greeted by the cold, escaping from the inside. He quickly grabbed a milk carton and shut the fridge door. Then, he went back to the bowl and poured the milk inside, submerging most of the oats. Finally, he returned the milk carton to the fridge.

One more item needed to be collected: the spoon. Spike opened a small drawer, which held various cutleries inside. He grabbed a spoon and closed the drawer, then put the said spoon in the bowl. His first task of the day was now complete.
The dragon then idly tapped his claws on the table, waiting for Twilight to arrive. Suffice to say, he didn’t wait long.

“Morning Spike.” Twilight groaned, sluggishly entering the room with her eyes blinking rapidly. She was clearly still in a sleepy haze.

“Hey Twilight,” Spike replied, watching Twilight take her usual seat at the table. “You got some Daring Do toy or something.” he shrugged.

“Eh?” Twilight responded, spotting the aforementioned item on the table. Her horn started to glow purple as did the packet, as she levitated it closer to her face effortlessly to inspect it closer.

“Huh...so I do.” She put the packet back on the table and levitated her spoon, now covered in oats and milk, closer to her mouth. “Rainbow Dash will want that then, unless she already has one.” She said, before putting the spoon in her mouth and chewing.

“Er, sure, I guess.” Spike said, rolling his eyes. He never really cared for this Daring Do character; he found her stories predictable and surprisingly uninteresting. Maybe he had an acquired taste for fiction.

The two made small talk as Twilight ate her breakfast, purely because of the fact that there wasn’t much to talk about in the morning – nothing had happened yet.

Eventually Twilight had finished, she stood up and began to head out of the room as Spike asked:

“So, what’s your plan for today?”

The purple mare levitated the packet without even looking at it as she left the room, “Well, I better find Rainbow Dash first of all.”

She stopped at the doorway, turning her head to look at Spike, “I’ll be back at...” she looked up, thinking of a specific time, “...some point. Until then...well, I think you know what to do.” She giggled, leaving the room and then the library.

Spike sighed, beginning his first task: washing up. He reluctantly grabbed Twilight’s bowl and spoon and headed to the sink.
The more he thought about it, the more the ‘food room’ seemed really like a proper kitchen. Just without an oven.

But when you have a dragon, who needs an oven?

_____________________________________________________________

Spike didn’t think that ‘some point’ meant nightfall. But sure enough, Twilight only returned when the stars where high in the dark sky. This had happened consecutively for the past couple days. Twilight would get distracted by her friends and run off into shenanigans whilst Spike did his work. For Spike, it was becoming hard not to envy Twilight at this point.

The door, controlled by magic, swung open as Twilight entered the library, and it shut as she was clear from the door way.
Spike was currently rearranging books on their shelves; he was perched on the top of the ladder. Upon hearing the door creak open and slam shut, he finished slotting the final book into place and looked at Twilight entering the room proper.
“So what happened this time?” Spike grumbled, climbing down the ladder.

“Oh! Well, I looked around Ponyville to find Rainbow Dash, but she didn’t seem to be anywhere. So I recruited the others and we searched around the town. Eventually we found her of course, that was an inevitability, and it turned out she was in Cloudsdale most of the day on some pegasi business or something like that.” Twilight babbled on, enjoying being a storyteller to Spike.

Spike tuned off to the sound of Twilight ranting about her day and simply made his way to his bed. By the time he got there, she seemed to be done.

“...and you know how crazy Pinkie Pie can be!” Twilight blinked as she finished her story, realising Spike had gone from his previous position. She peered around the room, trying to locate the dragon. It took her a little while before she realised he was at his bed. She trotted up the stairs so she could get a better view of him.

“So yeah...I kinda got distracted I guess.” She grinned embarrassingly, tracing her right fore hoof across the ground awkwardly in a circle.

“Uh-huh.” Spike mumbled, getting into his bed and wrapping the covers around him.

Twilight raised an eyebrow and her curiosity kicked in. She approached the dragon’s bed and went around to its side, looking at her friend.

“Are you alright Spike?” she asked, a concerning tone evident in her voice.

“Fine.” Spike replied, almost bitterly. Upon realising the harsh nature of his reply, he changed tact before Twilight could say anything. “Just tired, is all...” he feigned a yawn to add extra weight to his lie.

Indeed, Spike wasn’t fine at all. He was starting to become bitter of the fact that Twilight had all the free time in the world and he was stuck here, working. He started to wonder if everypony was forgetting about his existence.

And deep down, he was afraid of these feelings. Most dragons were creatures full of hatred and negative emotions. Spike never wanted to be like that, he wanted to be different, to show the world that dragons could be just as kind and good-hearted as any other pony could be. But the negativity was overpowering and he was struggling to fight it.

“Oh...alright then. I’ll leave you be then to get some rest. Good night Spike.” Twilight smiled fondly at him, and trotted down the stairs and exited the room, dimming the lights with her magic as she went.

A faint glow was being emitted from the bottom of Spike’s bed. Spike raised himself to check out this glow, which he knew very well. At the end of the bed was Peewee, sleeping peacefully in a handmade nest Spike had built for him. Spike smiled at his pet. No, he was more than that. He was a friend and a companion.

“Good night Peewee.” Spike whispered, smiling, and returned to lying on his bed.

He stared at the open window, looking at the night-time sky. The stars were as impressive as ever, twinkling in the darkness. The stars always impressed Spike. Sure, dragons could fly, but not even they could ascend the heights of the heavens where the stars made their home.

However, not even the beautiful sight and Peewee’s presence could hold back the oncoming hatred and darkness in Spike’s heart. He frowned, snorting defiantly, recounting the events of today and previous days. He thought he was well-deserved in thinking that Twilight was acting selfish. He did all the work whilst she played with her friends. He did all the hard tasks here, him and him alone.

Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light streaked across the dark sky. Spike caught sight of it and instinctively knew that it was a shooting star.

Upon seeing this spectacle, Spike’s mind began brewing even more negative thoughts, until only a single sentence spouted from his lips:

“I wish I was in charge of Twilight, for once.”

Spike grinned to himself as he said the words. It felt good to say something like that out loud.

But then the realisation dawned on him: he had made a wish on a shooting star and a terrible, greedy wish at that. And now it’d come true. No, no. Wishes from shooting stars coming true? Hah, merely a laughable old mare’s tale...right? Spike tried to assure himself on these thoughts, worry now eliminating the once hateful emotions that were inside him.

He quickly turned away from the window and buried himself in his covers, tightly closing his eyes. If he just slept, he’d forget all about this negativity and this stupid wish.

The worry wracked inside him made it difficult to sleep, but eventually he made it and began to snore lightly, now at peace.

_____________________________________________________________

Another day, another repetitive routine.

Spike slowly opened his eyes and looked up at the ceiling. He ran through his mind the event’s of the night before, particularly what had just happened before sleeping. How could have thought those ridiculous, selfish thoughts? It didn’t matter now though, he had the same old job to do.

He slowly arose from the bed, which he soon discovered that it wasn’t his own. Somehow, he had ended up in Twilight’s bed. He twisted his head left to right, confirming that it was Twilight’s bed he was in.

Whilst this was odd, it wasn’t impossibility. Maybe Twilight had decided to put him in there for extra comfort when he was deep asleep?

Spike shrugged and clambered out of the bed. He then examined his own bed...it seemed different. It was a little bit bigger than normal and on closer inspection, Twilight’s doll Smarty Pants, could be found tucked away in the bed covers.

“Since when did Twilight get her doll back...?” Spike scratched his head, deeply confused.

He resolved to find Twilight and demand an explanation for what the hay was going on here. He descended down the stairs and walked into the food room/kitchen. A shiny group of objects soon caught his eye. A bowl of gems sat on the table, ready for Spike to eat. Despite his questions, Spike couldn’t pass this opportunity up. He rushed excitedly towards the bowl and greedily guzzled the gems.

“Morning Spike!”

Spike was interrupted by the new voice. He froze solid and raised his head from the bowl. He knew that voice, it was all too familiar...yet it sounded different. It was higher-pitched than normal. He swallowed his mouthful and fearfully turned around to put a face to the voice. Things were getting really creepy at this point.

What Spike saw definitely took him off guard. His legs quivered, quaked and eventually gave in, forcing Spike to sit on his rear. His mouth was agape and his eyes wide open, his whole face the very definition of shock.

In front of him was none other than Twilight Sparkle.

As a filly.

It took him a few moments, but Spike began to regain his composure. Filly Twilight, meanwhile, tilted her head, looking as confused as Spike felt.

Spike could only utter one word, “What. What?!”