• Published 29th Aug 2015
  • 5,515 Views, 93 Comments

My Little Descendants - Nerdz



When the foals of Equestria's villains are given a chance to live a better life, will they let their parents' deeds define them, or will they be brave enough to write their own destinies?

  • ...
9
 93
 5,515

Chapter Eight: Coronation

School passed in a blur, and soon, much to Nyx's dismay, it was time for the students to ready themselves for the coronation that afternoon. The filly made her way to her dorm, going over the plan in her mind. Eventually, her mind wandered to thoughts she'd never stopped to think: what might happen next?

Once they had the crown, they'd book it to the island to release everypony, and then she'd come back to free Will from the spell's hold. But then what? She thought back to when she was younger, to the stories her mother would tell her of her plans for Equestria.

'We'll enslave Equestria, I suppose.' Nyx thought, 'Sombra will have the Crystal Empire, and Shade won't have to steal anymore. The Changelings will have more love than they can eat, and Lady won't have to scramble around to make sure she and her sisters don't starve. Sunset will have all the power she wants, so maybe she won't hurt Flare anymore. Mother will have eternal night, and she'll finally avenge Luna, and we'll have Equestria to rule. And everything...everything will be okay.'

Nyx stepped into her room to find a flurry of activity. Lady was scrambling around putting the finishing touches on the clothes she'd made for them to wear after realizing they had no coronation-worthy clothes.

"Oh, good, you're here!" Lady breathed once she noticed her roommate standing in the doorway, "Thanks for hurrying, by the way." she muttered sarcastically.

"I got held up at my locker. Those crowded hallways are a nightmare."

The Changeling filly sighed. "Whatever. Just put on your dress while I run these to the boys, then I'll do our hair and makeup when I get back." she waved a hoof at the other filly's bed.

Lady had already donned her dress. The floor-length backless gown had a navy bodice with a heart-shaped chest piece. The skirt was layered with ruffled green fabric on the bottom, navy just above it, and a gold tulle bit with sparkling swirls in design flared over the blue.

As she slipped her front hooves into green flats, the blue filly levitated two racks above her head; one held a black tuxedo and a red bow tie, while the other held a burgundy blazer and a crisp white shirt. She pushed past Nyx and was gone.

The Alicorn moved to her bed. She used her magic to lift the fabric from her mattress, holding it up to admire it. The bodice was purple, no surprise there, as was the poofed skirt, with lighter purple sparkles. The bodice had a stripe down the middle of the same color as the sparkles. Peeking under the skirt was a layer of sky blue fabric with white star-like images sewed on. There was two strips of fabric that she assumed would be tied around her neck.

Nyx split her magic, using a small portion to remove her glasses and set them on the nightstand next to the plastic container that held the cupcake she'd made the night before while she carefully pulled on the dress, carefully slipping her wings through the holes on either side of the gown. She turned to the long mirror, watching herself tie the fabric strips. She moved to the vanity, sitting down and lifting a brush and running it through her mane, removing tangles to make the styling process easier on her roommate. She sighed, dropping the brush and resting her chin on the table. The filly reached a hoof up to rub at her eyes. 'I look tired.' she thought.

Hearing hoofsteps approaching her room, the filly leaped up and hurried once again to the long mirror, pretending to have just put the dress on.

The door opened as the Changeling filly walked in. Without a word, she stepped over to her friend, using her magic to tug and straighten the fabric. "There!" she smiled looking over the Alicorn's shoulder to smile at her in the mirror. "All done! Except for..." she undid the tied fabric, sticking out her tongue in concentration as she meticulously tied a large bow, taking care to make sure the loops were even.

Moments later, makeup was done, and hair was curled in expert styles. Lady's large curls were piled atop her head, with a few locks trailing down her face and neck. Nyx's wavy hair was draped down, a few small curls here and there, with a wavy lock down her face and a curled tuft on the crown of her head, a large piece curled against the side of her face. As a final touch for herself, Lady clasped a gold chain around her neck, a large, pink, heart-shaped gem hanging from the chain.

Nyx then turned to the few items they'd decided to take with them. She flipped through her spell book for a few moments before setting the book among the bags and lighting her horn. Seconds later, the bags and book had disappeared.

"I ran into Shade on my way back from the kitchen last night." Nyx began after seeing Lady's questioning gaze. "He figured we wouldn't have time to run our things down to the carriages before the ceremony, and we definitely wouldn't when we were trying to get away. He found a bush that was big enough to hide everything and took his and Flare's things down. And I've just sent our things there."

"Alright then." Lady nodded, glancing at the clock, "We need to get going. You ready?"

"Let's get this party started."

***

The cloudless blue sky smiled down on the ponies lining the streets to the cathedral on the grounds of the Canterlot Castle, which had previously hosted events such as the wedding of Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor, or the coronations of the Elemental Representatives. A red carpet stretched the stairs outside, cluttered with Will's family and classmates, the honored guests, reporters snapping photographs as they made their way into the grand hall. A cheer rose from the crowd as an open-top carriage slowly rolled into view. The lavish cart was ivory white with swirling gold accents. It was pulled by two armored guards.

Sitting in the carriage, waving to the throngs of ponies, was Will, his marefriend at his side. He wore a deep blue suit, complete with bronze buttons and gold epaulets on his shoulders. A silver ring rested on his horn. Nyx smiled nervously as she waved to the right side of the street. Her hoof lowered to rest on the plastic container by her hip.

"Don't be nervous." she turned to find Will staring at her, a wide smile on his face. He took her hoof in his own, rubbing it gently. "All you have to do is smile and wave." He paused, looking her over. "You look gorgeous, by the way."

"Thank you." the filly whispered hoarsely, looking away, her hoof tracing a circular pattern on the blue lid of the plastic box.

The colt furrowed his brow, concerned. He looked back at the crowd. His horn lit up as he removed the ring. He stared at the symbol that decorated the silver circlet, a circle of arrows pointing in all directions. He took a deep breath before turning back to the filly.

"Nyx?" she turned to face him, "Will you wear my ring?"

Her eyes widened. "W-what?"

"It has my family crest on it. I'm supposed to wear it, but it would mean more to me if you would."

Nyx shook her head quickly. "N-no, you should wear it. I-I don't think it would fit me anyway." She felt a pang in her chest at the colt's disappointed expression, but shook it off. She steadied her breath. Things were moving fast, too fast for her. 'I have to do this now, or I don't think I'll ever be able to.' She flared her horn, using her own magic to pass the plastic container to Will. "I have something for you."

The colt took the box, opening it and peeking in. "A cupcake?"

"I know how much you love my baking." she smirked, "I figured you might get hungry later."

Will nodded, a smile pulling at his lips. "You're right, I do love your baking. In fact, I don't think I can wait."

Nyx's heart dropped as the colt quickly pulled the wrapper from the cupcake and took a large bite. She waited fearfully for his eyes to harden, for the 'We're done' every teen dreads hearing. The colt finished the cupcake, licking a tiny bead of frosting from his lip.

It was then that he noticed the filly staring. "What?"

She blinked. "H-how was it?"

He nodded slowly, "Pretty good, but let's give it a minute. I've heard that potions leave a bit of an aftertaste."

"What?" Nyx breathed, blinking in disbelief. A playful smile spread across the colt's face. "Y-you knew?" she whispered.

"Yeah. The spell washed off in the Enchanted Lake."

"'Enchanted Lake'?"

"Did I forget to mention that?"

Nyx licked her lips nervously. "I can explain-"

"You don't need to. You liked me, but I was with Sunrise, and you didn't know what else to do, right?"

"Uh, right..." she gulped, "So what, you've been playing along since then?"

Will used his magic to slide the silver ring onto Nyx horn. His hoof came up to lightly trace a swirling pattern on her cheek. He leaned forward and pressed a gentle kiss at the base of her horn, just below the ring. He pulled away, gazing into the girl's hopeful eyes. He smiled. "Everything I've said is true."

Nyx couldn't find words to reply, the ability to speak having left her. Her mind was reeling. It was real, it was all real.

'Well, that certainly complicates things, doesn't it?'

The carriage came to a stop in front of the cathedral. Will exited the cart, then put out a hoof to help Nyx. They made their way up the stairs, hoof in hoof, stopping before Fluttershy and Discord. Nyx bowed before the older ponies.

"About yesterday-"

"I want to apologize," the stallion interrupted, "for my stiff behavior."

Nyx cocked her head, confused.

"I failed to see how somepony raised by evil could have anything in their heart but that. But I understand, now, thanks to Will, that even the children of villains can change."

The filly forced a smile and nodded. "Thank you, sir." she smiled her coltfriend, "He's pretty great."

Discord turned to the colt. "It's like I said before, you'll make a fine Guardian."

"Just keep listening to your heart." Fluttershy rested a hoof on her son's shoulder. "And you," She turned to Nyx, "thank you," she whispered, hugging the girl. "I have never seen my son smile as much as he does when he's with you."

"Excuse me!" the ponies turned to to the approaching potbellied stallion. He gestured to the colt. "I'm here to escort the prince inside."

Will nodded to his parents and nuzzled his marefriend's cheek before following the short stallion into the cathedral and into a waiting room.

"Come on, dear." Fluttershy said kindly to the filly, "Discord and I will show you where to need to be."

***

Nyx glanced around the crowded cathedral. She stood on a step leading up to the raised stage area. On the stage stood the Elemental representatives in their full regalia, with Discord standing next to his wife. Normally, the Region Coronation and Guardianship Ceremony would be two separate programs, with their own rules; the Coronation would be performed by Fluttershy and Discord, the retiring Queen and King, and the Ceremony would be performed by the Elements and any other current Guardians. However, Will didn't want to have to worry about two big celebrations, and had chosen to combine them into one program.

Will's family had seats close to the front. Nyx caught a wink from Lady Bug, who was seated next Scifresh Doubloon. A glance at an overlooking indoor balcony showed Shade and Flare near the railing. She sent a curt nod to the colts.

The floor-to-ceiling doors glided smoothly over the carpet as two magic-wielding guards opened them. Will's head was held high as he made his way down the red carpet marking the path to his elders. A hush fell over the previous chattering of those in attendance. He was supposed to keep and expression of poise and dignity, but that didn't stop Will from flashing a smile at a certain filly as he passed her on the steps.

Nyx watched as the coronation was performed. Will's parents gave a speech, quick retelling of his childhood and his studies, then Fluttershy removed her husband's crown and placed it on her son's head.

Discord backed away as the butterflies in Nyx's stomach rose. The Guardians moved to position s surrounding Will in a half-circle, with Twilight, the only Alicorn, at the head. Her heart pounded as each mare said something about Will's character or his deed of bringing villain children to Equestria. Soon, soon Will would move to turn around, at last a king and a Guardian, and she would have a clear shot at Twilight's Element. She felt sick. Two voices clashed in her head.

'Maybe I could teach you.'

Twilight finished her speech.

'Our entire world, our future rests on your withers.'

Will gave his pledge.

'Everything I've said is true.'

The Elements began to glow, they neared the end of the ceremony.

'Don't screw this up.'

Now.

A shriek rose from somewhere in the crowd as a blue aura ripped the crown from Twilight's head.

All eyes fell on the golden orange filly with the destroyed pixie cut. The Element fought against her weak aura, jerking around as it rejected her magic.

"Nova, what'd you think you're doing?!" Twilight screamed to her daughter as she dodged a beam of magic as it shot from the out-of-control Element.

The filly grunted as she fought to tame the crown. "If you won't turn me into an Alicorn, then I'll do it myself!" she shrieked.

Without any further hesitation, Nyx rushed forward. She flared her horn, gripping the crown in her own magic. A bright flash filled the room, a sound similar to lightning ringing in the ears of all in attendance. The dark Alicorn blinked as the light receded. Her eyes met Nova's terror filled gaze. The younger filly's horn sparked a few times before her magic died. She backed up, her eyes wide in horror, tears clinging to the corners, her mouth slowly moving even though she couldn't form words.

Nyx stared at the retreating filly in confusion. She felt a dull ache under her eye, followed by a tickling sensation running underneath the aching patch of skin. Instinctively, she raised her hoof to rub at the offending area. She glanced at her hoof, shocked to find a few drops of blood clinging to her fur. It was then that she noticed the tiny, almost invisible shards of glass on the floor in front of her. Realization hit when the murmurings of the crowd reached her ears.

"...Those eyes..."

"...Truly Nightmare's daughter..."

"...She is a monster..."

"Nyx..."

Wait, that voice she knew.

Nyx looked up, fear shining through her purple frames, now bare apart from the shards of glass still clinging to the edges. A glance thrown over he shoulder showed the other villain foals fighting their way through the crowd. She stared forward once again, eyes locked with an approaching Will.

"Nyx," he said again, "Nyx, give me the crown."

"Get back." the filly shakily warned.

He chanced another step. "It's oka-"

"Will, I said 'stand back'!" Nyx's magic sparked for a few seconds before glowing intensely, the crown amplifying her power.

"I told you, Will!" Sunrise pushed her way forward, "She's nothing but a-" her words died in her throat.

"Alright," the darker Alicorn turned towards the yellow filly, her eyes glowing with a burning intensity, "I have had just about enough of you!"

Sunrise staggered backwards and the crowd fell silent. Lady, Shade, and Flare broke through and rushed up behind Nyx, the latter now once again facing the new king.

"Nyx, we gotta go!" Flare shifted his weight nervously.

"Revenge time." Shade spoke through gritted teeth as he glared at the back of the filly's head.

"Nyx," Will tried again, looking hard at the dark Alicorn, "is this really what you want?"

She shook her head. "You just don't get it Will! My mother-"

"I don't care what your mother wants! What do you want?"

Nyx froze, unable to answer. Behind her, her friends were waiting for her to do what they'd come for. But in front of her, Will was begging her to change her mind. "I don't know..." she squeezed her eyes shut, "I think...I think..." her eyes opened. Something clicked in her mind. Her face hardened as she turned to her friends.

"We don't have to do this."

"Nyx, what are you talking about?" Lady waved a hoof, "We don't have a choice!"

"But we do!" Nyx explained. She stepped forward. "Think about it, none of us were really happy there."

The others still looked doubtful.

"Things are better here! Shade, you won't have to steal to make ends meet. You can be a part of a team and have a real family." the colt let a small smile creep across his face as the filly turned to the golden colt, "Nopony will hurt you here. You won't have to be a slave to somepony who's supposed to take care of you." Flare bit his lip. And finally, Nyx faced lady, her voice laced with tears, "And you...you don't have to play dumb to get ponies to like you. There are so many ponies here who love you for who you are; you won't starve." The Changeling grinned, tears rolling down her face.

"And I...I want to stay here too. I want to go to school and make something of myself; choose who I want to be! And, I wanna stay with Will." The colt in question raised his head in surprise. The filly turned around, tears glistening in her eyes, a grin splitting her face. Light pouring through a window landed on the ring at the base of her horn. "Because Will makes me really, really happy." She faced her friend once again. She put her hoof out. "I'm going good, guys."

Lady glanced at Shade before placing her hoof against Nyx's. Shade reached out, along with Will. Flare hesitated a few moments before breaking into a smile and joining the gesture. Nyx looked at the smiling faces surrounding her. She leaned her head on her coltfriend's shoulder. Things were definitely starting to look up.

It was then that indigo smoke began seeping under the door. It swirled around, raising screams from the crowd before collecting and swirling just behind the five teens. In seconds, the smoke dissipated, leaving a tall, dark mare in it's place. Her smoky mane flowed on an invisible breeze. Her piercing eyes flitted over the crowd. A cruel chuckled escaped her lips.

"I'm back."

Nyx took a brave step forward. "Why are you here Mother?" she growled.

"Why, can a mother not visit her daughter? And on such a special occasion."

"Go back to the Island, Nightmare!" Twilight glared at the taller Alicorn.

The mare turned to the mortal Alicorn. "Let me think...hmmm...no!"

The other Elemental Representatives crowded closer to Twilight. "Go back of your own accord, or we'll send you back! Nyx!"

The filly flung the crown towards Twilight, only for her mother to intercept it's path. Nightmare turned to her now terrified daughter, shaking her head and clucking her tongue. "Nyx, Nyx, Nyx, didn't I teach you not to disobey me?" Her horn flashed as the six mares and stallion behind her lunged forward. They froze in midair, falling to the ground with a thud. "Wait," she muttered as she stepped towards the stallion, "who are you?" She pressed her horn to his and the equine disguise melted away. "Discord!" she laughed, "Y-you, oh that's rich! These ponies and their friendship mumbo-jumbo made you such a pansy!" she wiped away a tear before turning a glare to her daughter.

"Now, you four collect the necklaces, and I might let this little lapse in judgment slide." she sighed happily as she lowered the crown atop her head.

"No, Mother."

Nightmare raised and eyebrow. "No? Oh...I see how it is." there was a flash and suddenly stood nose to nose with the filly. "Do you really think that goodness can give you more than darkness can? They've warped your brain, my dear, but fret not, I shall cure you of their disease. I will strip you of everything you think you know, starting. With. This!" Her horn flashed again, ripping away the ring her daughter wore and flinging it far out of reach. She whirled around, stalking over towards the frozen mares.

Nyx bit back tears as she glanced around the room at the cowering ponies. She had a dangerous idea. "You've got ten seconds to get lost in the crowd." she whispered to the colt at her side as she lowered herself to a crouch.

Will mimicked her movement. "No chance." he replied, "Whatever you're planning, I've got your back."

She flashed a smile and watched her friends lower themselves into attacking positions. She nodded to them. Her magic flared and a shimmering wall of magic began shooting up at alarming speed.

Nightmare turned to her daughter, the necklaces she'd been levitating clattering to the floor. "What do you think you're doing?!" She seethed.

"Lady!" a cry rose from the crowd as a blue-grey colt leaped over the rapidly rising wall.

"Sci?!" she stared slack jawed at the glaring colt as he galloped to her side, "What is wrong with you!?"

"Ah had a chance to protect you before and Ah didn't; Ah ain't makin' that mistake again."

Beads of sweat gathered on Nyx's brow as she strained to build the wall. seconds after the spell started, it was completed by the sides of the wall formed a domed roof over their heads, effectively protecting the ponies in the cathedral, including the Guardians, but trapping the teens in an impenetrable magic bubble with a powerful assassin.

"This is incredibly immature, Nyx." Nightmare took a few steps forward, "Now, I understand you'd want the power for yourself, but after today, I don't think you're ready for this level of villainy." She glanced at the teens ready for a fight. "Oh what, you think you could take me?"

Nyx stood tall. "Don't you get it, Mother? I am not like you! I don't want to be a villain! I don't want to be a monster! No matter what you try to do to me, and what these ponies may think, I am not, and never will be, the next 'Nightmare Moon'! As long as there is still breath in my lungs, I will protect these ponies. And if I have to fight you to do that," she flared her horn, throwing way the remains of her glasses, "then so be it."

Lady saw a flash out of the corner of her eye. "Nyx..." she breathed, pointing at the glow coming from under the Alicorn's skirt. The filly turned, eyes widening at the light as she lifted the fabric. Her once bare flank was now adorned with a dark blue shield outlined in turquoise, with a crescent moon shape of a lighter blue on the side.

Nightmare ground her teeth together. "Enough!" she screeched, "No daughter of mine speaks like that! No villain's child has a cutie mark such as that one! You're dead to me! And as soon as I get my hooves on you, I'll make that a reality!"

Nyx flared her horn, tearing the crown from the older Alicorn's head and placing on her own. The older mare transformed herself to smoke and shot towards the filly.

"Guys, I'll take care of her, get the other Elements!" Nyx shouted over her shoulder as she took off at a dead run to the other end of the dome.

"We're on it!" Shade shouted back.

"What do we do with them?!" Flare grabbed at and necklace with a balloon-shaped charm.

"Put them on!" Will shouted as he grabbed his mother's Element. He watched as Nyx spread her wings and took flight, leading the cloud of indigo smoke towards the roof of the dome. "We might can use them to help Nyx!"

Doub grabbed his mother's Element while Lady and Shade grabbed necklaces with purple and red gems respectively. They all jumped as a shriek pierced the air. They turned to see Nyx crash to the floor.

Will reached her first. "Are you alright?" he asked as he helped his marefriend to her hooves.

Nyx wiped her cheek, discovering quickly that her cut was bleeding more heavily that before. "I'm fine." she grunted as she steadied herself.

"Look!" Flare cried out, pointing at the cloud of smoke as it shot towards them at alarming speed. The teens crowded together. Nyx stepped forward and the smoke came to an abrupt stop mere centimeters from her muzzle. Eyes a mirror to her own materialized in the smoke, staring her down. She glared with equal ferocity. Nightmare's eyes began to glow. Nyx could feel her friends staring along with her, giving her strength.

The teens' eyes began to glow with a brighter intensity.

Nightmare squinted.

The teens strength grew.

Nightmare blinked.

There was a flash of light.

Author's Note:

How much do you guys hate me? :trollestia:

Well those of you who have seen Descendants probably aren't that mad, as you pretty much know what happens.

Or do you?

I mean, I did say something about a "big, ground breaking twist" a while back, and there's only one chapter left...:duck:

Also, did anyone see the two major references in here?

I love comments! They cure writers block!