• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 1,356 Views, 19 Comments

Shudderbones: The Necromancer of Flame Geyser Swamp - SkelePone



Tales tell of a haunted mansion deep in the troves of the Flame Geyser Swamp. Of a dark monster, a nightmarish stallion, who revives the dead to be his slaves.

  • ...
9
 19
 1,356

Death & Apples

Applejack knocked on Shudderbones' door, with Big Mac standing by her side holding a tool box in his mouth. They'd been waiting for him for almost half an hour. The necromancer was a night owl, Applejack knew that, but she reckoned he'd at least be able to stay up long enough into the morning to meet them before they got to work. They had to fix the plumbing today, too.

"Ya think he's home, Big Mac?"

The red stallion shrugged, with the same look of concern.

"Ah figure if he wasn't then one a' his skeleton friends woulda answered by now. Ya think he's avoiding us? Why would he do that?"

The red stallion shrugged.

"Somethin's amiss here. We should just open the door."

The red stallion shrugged.

"Are ya even listenin' ta me?"

The red stallion shrugged. Applejack rolled her eyes and turned around, raising her hind legs towards the locked door. Just as she was about to buck the door off it's hinges, the door swung open, with a very surprised Shudderbones blushing at the rather unflattering view of Applejack's rump. Of course, he only saw it for moments before she kicked, unaware that the door had opened.

WHAM!

Shudderbones crumpled to the floor.

- - - - - - - - - - -

"Shudderbones? Shudderbones! Answer me! Ah'm so sorry, ah didn't mean to hit ya, honest!"

- - - - - - - - - - -

He woke up. His head was aching so badly it felt like it was bound to split any second now. He definitely had a concussion. Shudderbones felt lucky that the mare's powerful kick hadn't snapped his neck. He opened his eyes, light stinging his retinas painfully. He was in bed.

Applejack sat by him, on the bed. The light from the window illuminated her, her blonde mane and orange coat shining in the playful daylight. He was thinking about angels when reality gave him a punch in the stomach. More ponies were gathered around his bedside.

There was Big MacIntosh, Apple Bloom, Granny Smith, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. This wasn't surprising. These past few days, Shudderbones had found them to be the closest family he had. But there were more ponies. Twilight Sparkle and Spike were there. Spike looked genuinely sad. Shudderbones suddenly wondered why they had all looked so morbid and depressed. There were the others, a yellow pegasus, a blue pegasus, a white unicorn, and the one called Pinkie Pie. All mares. But one mare stood out from all of them. A white Alicorn.

Princess Celestia.

She was first to notice the necromancer awakened.

"Good morning, Shudderbones. It seems you have returned to us."

The others gasped and leapt about for joy. Applejack swooped down over the stunned necromancer, locking him in a short-lived kiss, before the "ooh"s of the other mares made her hide behind her hat, blushing. Shudderbones sat up, rubbing his head as his eyes began to glow more brightly than ever. Twilight was at a loss for words. Not for long, of course.

"B-b-b-b-but... you were DEAD! For almost an entire day! No pulse, no breath, no nothing! HOW?!"

Shudderbones' head swirled, and he collapsed with a groan back into his bed. Thankfully, Princess Celestia answered for her former student.

"You forget, Twilight Sparkle, that Shudderbones here practices magic left untouched by countless others. As a result, this may have inadvertently been of his own doing. His use of death magic has, in short, prevented his own death. And because his soul remains pure, despite his darkness, he has not become what many more who have been in his hoofsteps have. He did not become a Lich."

"A Lich?" Applejack questioned, her face full of fear and worry.

"Had Shudderbones permanently died, and had he been truly evil, he would have returned as one of the undead, as a never-dying necromantic monster. A sorcerer whose wickedness has not graced Equestria since even before I have ruled."

In the delirium of Shudderbones' concussion, he interrupted her.

"Whaddayamean... whaddabout... Grogar...?"

Her face softened, and she used a simple spell on the cringing stallion.

"Grogar... was a special case. Now sleep, my little pony. You must be in terrible pain, and I have a feeling you have a lot to think about."

But you didn't answer my question, Shudderbones thought as he fell into a deep, blissful sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Shudderbones trotted down the steps, admiring the handiwork of Applejack and Big MacIntosh. The Cutie Mark Crusaders ran about the house, playing with Numbskull and a colt ghost named Peek-A-Boo. He smiled as he listened to their sweet laughter. It had been a long time since the Manor had been graced with the happy sounds of foals playing.

"Well, evenin', hon" Hon? "Me an' Big Mac here fixed up the porch while ya were sleepin'. Numbskull there helped us out a bit, too. Ah gotta admit, Ah'm gettin' used ta all these specters. They're awful friendly folk ta be around." Applejack said, walking up to him as he wrapped the robes tightly around himself. "Ya feelin' okay? Ah'm sorry again for the kick... If you had really died, Ah would never had forgiven mahself..." A tear fell from her cheek. Shudderbones blinked.

"No, A.J., that was but an accident. Don't worry about it. I'm fine. You're fine. We're all fine. No harm done."

She smiled, blinking tears out of her eyes.

"Thanks, Shudders."
"No problem. And did you call me hon?"
"Eeyup." Big MacIntosh called. Applejack scowled at her brother, who was painting the banister.
"Shuddup, Big Mac. An' did I? Musta slipped my tongue. Sorry about that."
"Again, no problem. I found it adorable." Sweet Celestia, am I flirting? Shudderbones asked himself. He heard giggling from the other side of the foyer, and Big Mac let out a chuckle. Both Shudderbones and Applejack turned bright red.

"Big MacIntosh, stop working. I'm taking you, Miss Applejack, and the foals out to dinner."
"Wha-? Shudders! Ya don't havta do that!"
"Nonsense," Shudderbones said, brushing off Applejack's protests and the cheers from the fillies, "you five have been helping me with my home and my life ever since I appeared at your doorstep with a pink bow... what is it, a month ago?"
"Eeyup."
"Well, ah mean, dinner sounds nice an' all...But ah mean..."
Not thinking, Shudderbones spit out his next few words, sounding incredibly casual.

"Either we all go out to eat, on my behalf, or you go with me to the Grand Galloping Gala."
All noise in the Manor stopped. The giggling, the chuckles, the clattering of bones, the moaning of ghosts.
Applejack looked shocked, but sort of smug. Shudderbones felt some sweat on his neck, but didn't wipe it off. After many long minutes, Applejack answered.

"Well why not we do both?"