• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 1,357 Views, 19 Comments

Shudderbones: The Necromancer of Flame Geyser Swamp - SkelePone



Tales tell of a haunted mansion deep in the troves of the Flame Geyser Swamp. Of a dark monster, a nightmarish stallion, who revives the dead to be his slaves.

  • ...
9
 19
 1,357

The Necromancer of Flame Geyser Swamp

Shudderbones let out a cry.

A cry of horror, of sadness, of rage, of disbelief.

Applejack lay dead, cradled in his forelegs. Her eyes had glazed over already. Her beautiful features expressionless. Around him he heard her friends cry out her name and his, warning him about the approaching danger. But Shudderbones didn't care. Applejack was dead.

It was déjà-vu. He had watched his family die before. And now he had watched the love of his life die. But now, he finally realized, he could save her. He was a necromancer. No. THE Necromancer. It was time for him to live up to his hated title. He was the Necromancer of Flame Geyser Swamp.

His horn glowing, and the purple in his eyes shining across the room, Shudderbones began to bellow a chant. He fueled the spell with his hatred for Oscurdia. He fueled the spell with his love for Applejack. He thought of what would happen if Applejack died. How he would die. How her family would be racked with grief. He channeled it.

And he brought her back.

She let out a hacking cough, and gasped for air.

"Sh-Sh-Shudders!" She called for him. Shudderbones swooped down upon her, relieved to see the light fully returned to her eyes. He couldn't help it. He kissed her. She melted into him, and for a moment they forgot the world around them.

Oscurdia halted his approach, flinching while letting out a loud hiss. His flinch had released his grip on the spirits momentarily. The poltergeists paused and the skeletons stopped. Twilight cast a spell, a simple banishing one, and the poltergeists flew off, squealing like pigs. Rainbow Dash and Rarity kicked off the Guard pony skeletons, shattering them into piles of dusty bones and rusted armor. Then, Shudderbones and Applejack pulled away from each other, still looking into each others eyes.

Oscurdia snarled.

"You scared off a few poltergeists and knocked over some bones. Good for you, but I'm still here."

"Yeah," Shudderbones rumbled, "but not for long."

Twilight cast the activation spell, and the Elements of Harmony began to glow, coating the room with a rainbow of light. Applejack left his grasp as she and the others were lifted into the air by their magic. Twilight directed the river of magic directly at Shudderbones. He felt it all enter him, empowering his Bell Spell.

Big adventure.

The Element of Loyalty filled him with courage and bravery. He felt dedicated to his mission.

Tons of fun.

The Element of Laughter poured happiness and positivism into his soul, Shudderbones couldn't help but smile and let out a roar of laughter.

A beautiful heart.

The Element of Generosity flooded him with the need to give. He had to perform this spell. For Equestria.

Faithful and strong.

The Element of Honesty, his beloved's element, helped him clear his mind. He could see her clearly, even though his eyes had closed.

Sharing kindness.

The Element of Kindness calmed him, washing over him with peace and love. He morphed that into the spell, and he felt the Bell of Grogar materialize between his hooves.

It's an easy feat.
And magic makes it all complete....

Finally, the Element of Magic filled him with such raw power, he strained to contain it all. He placed his horn on the materializing bell, and he opened his eyes. The rainbow in the room was suddenly met by a greyscale of shades, from blinding white, to the warmest of blacks. His own magic. He let out a cry as he struck the smooth silver bell once with his horn. Oscurdia let out a scream.

He looked to the umbrum, who was clawing at the tile floor with his hooves. He was being dragged into a portal, but not one of the blue ones, but a red one, with howls and moans emerging from it. Tartarus.

He looked to Shudderbones. Shudderbones saw fear in the shadow pony's face. And for once, he enjoyed seeing somepony look at him in fear. Twilight began to speak.

"You can curse. You can murder. You can try your best to make us fear you.
But you can't stop love." Shudderbones looked to Applejack, and she looked to him. They moved close to each other, interlocking his left foreleg and her right foreleg.
"And you can't stop friendship." She looked about, at each of her friends, and even at Shudderbones. He beamed.

And with that, Oscurdia lost his grip, and tumbled into the portal. Instantly, the portal collapsed. Shudderbones was surprised to still see the bell resting at his hooves. Levitating it up with his head, he studied the silver instrument. It was a plain silver bell, with the initials S.T.B. on the outside.

Starswirl the Bearded.

"No wonder the wizard kept so many bells," Twilight breathed, "he didn't want that falling into the wrong pony's hooves. But... I don't think you're the wrong pony. In fact, being the connection between Life and the Afterlife and all... I think you should keep the bell."

Shudderbones felt the bell float suddenly towards him, Twilight levitating the blue silk necklace over his head, letting the bell dangle over his chest. The bell that would the banishing portal to Tartarus, should he ring it with his horn. It would be useful, that's for sure.

Sunlight began to stream into the room as the sunrise woke finally after over three days (or six nights) of waiting. Together, the six mares and the stallion walked over onto the balcony. As they did, the ponies waiting eagerly below and the Pegasi hovering above erupted into stomping applause and cheers.

Shudderbones realized something.

This was it.

Beside the mare of his dreams, surrounded by friends, and adoptive family waiting for him back home.

This was his happily ever after.

And it felt good.