• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 926 Views, 37 Comments

Demons Are Forever - Metool Bard



Bon-Bon's past has come back to haunt her. No, it's not the bugbear. It's a former colleague trying to tie up loose ends. And in some ways, that's far, far worse.

  • ...
3
 37
 926

Better Late Than Never

Princess Celestia sat upon her throne in quiet meditation. Her horn was encompassed in a radiant gold aura, and the sun just outside the stained glass window was beginning to set. She let out a content sigh. She had met with all her delegates and advisors, sifted through all the paperwork she could get to, and had already had tomorrow's to-do list printed up. All that was left was to lower the sun, have a nice big dinner, and let Luna handle the rest until dawn.

"Your Highness!"

Celestia opened one tentative eye as a guardspony burst through the front door, but it was not enough to disrupt her concentration. The guardspony cleared his throat.

"Um, a thousand pardons, Your Highness," he said with a bow. "I-I didn't mean to disturb you."

"It's quite alright," said Celestia with a dismissive wave of her hoof. "Now, what is this all about?"

"Somepony wishes to have a private audience with you, Your Highness," said the guard. "A Lady Fleur de Lis. She's being accompanied by a couple of civilians."

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "Fleur de Lis? My my," she mused, tapping her chin with her hoof. "What could she want at this hour?"

"I-I can send them away if you're busy," said the guard.

Celestia shook her head. "No need. I'm sure Luna will pick up the slack once she notices I'm preoccupied. Please, let them in."

"Yes, Your Highness," said the guard with a bow.

In a matter of moments, Fleur strode in with Moondancer and Minuette at her sides. Moondancer and Minuette bowed while Fleur gave Celestia a salute. Celestia chuckled.

"At ease, Lady de Lis," she said. "You're not under my command anymore."

"R-right. Sorry," said Fleur sheepishly. "Old habits die hard, I suppose. A-anyway, I've come with some important news."

"Oh? What might that be?"

Fleur smiled. "See for yourself. Dr. Colgate, if you would?"

Minuette nodded and illuminated her horn. From her saddlebag, she produced an ancient-looking tome with several golden engravings of various creatures on the cover. Celestia's eyes went wide.

"I-I recognize this book," she said. "This is the Lesser Key."

"Indeed it is," said Fleur with a nod.

Princess Celestia pursed her lips and carefully observed the tome. "I don't quite understand. I was under the impression that it was lost. How did you find it?"

"I managed to gather some intel about strange occurrences in the mountains of Coltalt, and I took the initiative to organize an expedition based on that intel," Fleur explained.

"And that's not all we found up there," Minuette added. "Remember how a rogue agent freed the bugbear and led to the disbandment of the HUB?"

Celestia furrowed her brow. "Well, of course," she said, looking over at Moondancer. "Um, I take it you know about the HUB?"

"Minuette insisted that I help, so we all had to be on the same page," Moondancer said nervously, adjusting her glasses. "P-please don't be mad at me. I promise not to tell anypony else."

"It's alright. I'm not mad," said Celestia gently. She cleared her throat. "Anyway, what else did you find?"

"None other than the true culprit behind the bugbear's jailbreak," said Fleur, turning to the door. "Guards! Bring in the prisoner. And, do be careful."

The guards saluted and obeyed. In a matter of moments, they dragged in a changeling wrapped up in the confines of a straightjacket. The changeling's eye was twitching, and it was muttering to itself.

"I-I still can't hear them. Why can't I hear them? I could hear them before; why not now?" it wondered aloud. "Maybe they never existed. But then, do I exist? President Buer says that it's impossible to prove that reality is real, so to keep ourselves sane, we must pragmatically assert that it is and live our lives as such. But then, how can we prove that pragmatism is real? Furthermore, how can we prove that the very concept of proof is real? And what about concepts in general? Or generalizations, for that matter?"

Celestia stared blankly at the insane changeling before arching an eyebrow. "Dare I ask what happened?"

"Apparently, the Ars Goetia managed to transfer themselves into this guy's brain," said Minuette. "When we sent them back into the book, it just snapped because it couldn't hear them anymore. Honestly, it's been rambling like this the entire train ride back to Canterlot. You would not believe the awkward looks we kept getting."

"No, I think I can imagine what you're talking about," said Celestia. She then tilted her head. "Um, Lady de Lis?"

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"You said you caught the true culprit who released the bugbear. What exactly do you mean by that?"

Minuette smirked. "We've saved the best news for last, Your Highness. Just a second." She then trotted over to the door and opened it slightly. "Hey. You can come in now. It's alright. Don't be shy."

Another changeling nervously stepped into the throne room, munching on a bag of confectionaries as it shuffled closer. Celestia recognized the changeling right away, and her eyes glistened.

"Wh-White Lie," she gasped. "Y-you've come back."

White Lie swallowed and knelt before Celestia. "Y-yes, Your Highness. I-it certainly has been a while, hasn't it?"

"While looking for the Lesser Key, we discovered that Special Agent White Lie had been framed by the hive," said Fleur darkly. "Specifically, this drone Snatcher did the deed."

"There's a hole in the Frozen North that leads directly to Tartarus. It is three inches wide," Snatcher mumbled.

Fleur cleared her throat and continued. "Anyway, it turns out the theft of the Lesser Key was part of a plot to get us to turn against White Lie. Unfortunately, we all fell for it."

"I must say, much has changed in my absence," said White Lie, looking a bit uncomfortable. "I thought for certain that I would need a disguise, but Ms. Minuette tells me that changeling migrants have been on the rise recently."

"That is correct," said Celestia, giving White Lie a radiant smile. "Although many of them remain loyal to Queen Chrysalis and the changeling hive, you're not the only defector anymore. In fact, I managed to speak with one during a wedding in Ponyville. Charming fellow. I wish I remembered its name, though."

"Although from what I remember, plenty of ponies were still pretty frightened of it," Minuette mused. "We've still got a long way to go."

White Lie nodded and thoughtfully chewed on a piece of chocolate. "I see. Well, if that's the case, I'd be honored to help bridge the gap between ponies and changelings once more."

"I'm very happy to hear that," said Celestia. She stepped down from her throne and caressed White Lie's head in her hoof. "And I'm also glad that you're okay. I honestly had my doubts that you were the culprit behind the jailbreak, but we had nothing else to go on."

"I don't blame you for what happened, Your Highness," said White Lie. "This is what changelings do. It's in our nature to deceive."

Fleur sighed and shook her head. "No, White Lie. Most changelings might be like that, but not you. And, I wish I realized that sooner."

"I've already forgiven you, Lady de Lis. You don't need to apologize again," said White Lie. It then chuckled. "You know, now that I hear that more changelings are breaking away from the madness of Queen Chrysalis, I think the Ars Goetia's reasoning is even more silly."

Celestia looked down at White Lie with interest. "The Ars Goetia spoke to you about what happened?"

"I tried to go after the Lesser Key myself in order to redeem myself and clear my name," said White Lie. "But when I found it, they convinced me that Equestrian society had to be punished for Lady de Lis's transgressions. Thus, I swore allegiance to them and Snatcher." It then turned to Moondancer and smiled. "In fact, if it wasn't for Ms. Moondancer talking me out of it, I don't know what would've happened to me."

Moondancer blushed and twiddled her hooves. "Um, I-I honestly can't take the credit for that. I-it was just simple logic. Anypony could've used it against the Ars Goetia's teachings."

Minuette breathed out a small laugh and shook her head. "I don't think that's true, Moondancer."

Moondancer gave Minuette a puzzled look. "What makes you so certain?"

Minuette laughed again. "Wow, you still don't get it, do you? Moondancer, you empathized with White Lie on a level none of us could. You felt its pain because you experienced the same pain. That kind of understanding was the only thing that would reach White Lie at that point."

Moondancer's face became redder. "I-it wasn't exactly the same, though. It was similar."

"True, but it was similar enough that you managed to reach it," said Minuette.

"Granted," said Moondancer, shuffling her hooves. "But, you were White Lie's friend, weren't you?"

Minuette's smile faded. "Yeah, but I don't think I could've understood what it was going through like you did. Heck, I couldn't even understand what you were going through."

Moondancer winced and averted her gaze. "No, Minuette. That wasn't your fault. I just, didn't know how to express myself."

"Maybe so, but that's besides the point," said Minuette. She then walked over and placed a hoof on Moondancer's shoulder. "Remember when you said before that I made friendship look so easy?"

"Um, kinda?"

"Well, I'm not gonna lie and say that it really is that easy. That's simply not the case. However, I don't think it's as hard as you make it out to be, either. After all, you really did us a solid by helping out. And, I'm really grateful for it."

"If I may interject," said White Lie, clearing its throat. "I may not know your past as extensively as Ms. Minuette, Ms. Moondancer. However, I'd be delighted if I could call you a friend. After all, you've already demonstrated that we have a lot in common, even though we came from completely different backgrounds."

Moondancer knitted her brow and placed a hoof to her muzzle. She then gave Minuette an inquisitive look. Minuette deadpanned.

"Moondancer, you don't need my approval for every single friendship thing you do," she sighed. "If you wanna be friends with White Lie, go for it."

"R-right. Sorry," said Moondancer. She then took White Lie's hoof in hers and smiled. "It'd be my pleasure to become your friend, White Lie."

White Lie smiled and nodded. "Thank you, Ms. Moondancer."

Fleur sniffled and dabbed her face with a handkerchief. "A-anyway, Your Highness. Th-there's one more thing I'd like to ask."

"Go ahead," said Celestia, gesturing with her hoof

"Well, since the bugbear's been apprehended and this whole mess has been cleared up, I was wondering if that means the HUB should be reestablished."

Celestia brushed the underside of her chin with her hoof. After a pause, she grinned. "I don't think that'll be necessary, Lady de Lis. Ever since the Elements of Harmony have returned, the Hunter's Undercover Bureau has been rendered obsolete."

"But then, what about White Lie?" asked Fleur.

"That'll be for it to decide," said Celestia. "Although we may need a changeling ambassador on standby, should more changeling migrants wish to leave the hive in favor of a more peaceful life in Equestria."

"I can certainly help with that, Your Highness," said White Lie with a bow.

"Heh, I'm sure Bon-Bon would love to hear that," said Minuette. "She's been looking to retire ever since the bugbear was recaptured."

White Lie took a quick look around and tilted its head. "Speaking of which, where are Ms. Drops and Ms. Heartstrings? I thought they would be with us."

"They had to catch the next train back to Ponyville," said Minuette. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to tell them the good news next time I'm in town."

Celestia smiled. "In the meantime, I thank you all for bringing this to my attention. You're welcome to join me for dinner, if you wish."

"O-oh, that's alright," said Moondancer sheepishly. "W-we shouldn't impose."

"Please, I insist," said Celestia. "I would love to hear more about this expedition. Guards, escort this drone to the dungeons."

"I'm looking at the back of Marquis Shax's head, but I'm speaking to the front of his face," Snatcher muttered. "However, the front of his face is listening to the back of his head, so my head doesn't count. Is that why I can't hear them?"

It continued spouting off random nonsense as the guards dragged it away. Celestia then led the other ponies to the dining room. The only one who looked uncomfortable was Moondancer.

"Th-this is too great an honor," she murmured. "I-I don't think I deserve it."

Minuette snickered and gave Moondancer a pat on the back. "Hey, if it means anything to you, I think you deserve it. You're a great friend, Moondancer. And someday, hopefully soon, I'm gonna help you realize that."

A ghost of a smile crossed Moondancer's face. "I, suppose. Thank you, Minuette."

"No need to thank me," said Minuette with a wink. "That's just what friends are for."

***

Lyra and Bon-Bon managed to find themselves a private car just as the train was pulling out of the station. They sat next to each other, listening to the train wheel click and clack. Finally, Lyra looked over at Bon-Bon.

"So, it's all over now, huh?" she said.

Bon-Bon nodded. "Yep."

"You sure there's nothing else? No other outstanding business your super secret organization had to deal with?"

"Well, the bugbear has been returned to Tartarus, the Lesser Key has been recovered, and White Lie regained its honor. I think that covers just about everything."

"Well, that's a relief," Lyra sighed. She paused for a moment. "Um, Bons?"

"Yes?"

"Are you gonna be okay?"

Bon-Bon glanced out the window. "I'm not sure how to answer that, Lyra. I mean, I thought that moving on was going to be easy. I thought once I discarded my Sweetie Drops persona, the rest would follow." She looked down and placed a hoof over her heart. "But, I learned today that it's not going to be that simple."

"What do you mean?" asked Lyra.

Bon-Bon heaved a great sigh. "Well, for one thing, Sweetie Drops and Bon-Bon are not two separate entities. They're both part of who I am. It was silly of me to think otherwise."

"But, why did you think that?" said Lyra, rubbing the side of her head.

Bon-Bon bit her lip. "I went through a lot of trauma as an agent of the HUB, Lyra. There were several instances where I almost lost my life, and those moments stayed with me after the agency was dissolved. I had better control over it once I moved to Ponyville, but when the bugbear attacked during Cranky and Matilda's wedding, everything just came rushing back."

"And Fleur de Lis only made it worse when she dragged you into this whole fiasco," said Lyra gravely.

"I-it's not her fault, Lyra. She didn't know," said Bon-Bon. "But anyway, I have a feeling that this isn't over. Maybe one day, the wind will blow the wrong way or something of that nature, and I'll find myself reliving those moments all over again." She sniffled and shook her head. "I didn't want you to see that side of me. I thought it would frighten you, or worse, you'd get hurt."

Lyra closed her eyes and folded her forelegs. "Y'know what, Bons? I was scared. I'm a big enough pony to admit that. But I wasn't scared of you."

Bon-Bon brushed her nose and looked over at Lyra. "Huh?"

"I was scared for you, Bon-Bon," Lyra said earnestly, tears forming in her eyes. "You were in so much pain, and you wouldn't tell me about it. You wouldn't tell anypony about it."

"I thought it was best if I kept focused," said Bon-Bon, folding her ears back. "That way, I wouldn't worry you."

"Well, it did worry me," said Lyra firmly. "Especially since you kept having those flashbacks. Did you honestly think I wouldn't notice?"

"I-I just wanted to keep you safe, Lyra."

"And I wanted to make sure you didn't turn into this empty shell of a mare who closed herself off from everypony."

Bon-Bon gasped. "Th-that's really what you thought? Why didn't you tell me?"

Lyra breathed out a sad scoff. "'Cause I'm a raging hypocrite. I'm sorry, but that Fleur de Lis girl really got under my skin. I wanted to prove to her that I didn't have to be a cool secret agent to help, and that meant showing her I could handle myself."

A thin smirk crossed Bon-Bon's face. "Well, you did, didn't you?"

Lyra shrugged. "Eh, a little, I guess. Not as much as I wanted." She cast her gaze downward and shed a few tears. "Especially not when that psychopath tried to hold me hostage. That didn't do anypony any favors."

Bon-Bon frowned. "You're still hung up on that?"

"I-I dunno," Lyra murmured.

Bon-Bon shuffled over to Lyra and placed a hoof on her foreleg. "Lyra, I don't regret choosing you over the Lesser Key. If it makes you feel better, I'd gladly make that same decision again."

Lyra hiccuped. "R-really?"

"Mmm-hmm," Bon-Bon said with a nod. "I've actually been thinking about it, and honestly, saving you was the best option. Snatcher thought that once it fled, we'd have no choice but to give up and let it carry out the Ars Goetia's will. But we still had other options on the table. We could still go to Princess Celestia or Princess Twilight for help, or we could've interrogated those other drones. Heck, we could've just combed Coltlat from top to bottom. The point is that we still had a chance to get the Lesser Key."

She turned away and breathed out a strained sigh. "On the other hoof, there was only one chance to save you. And I couldn't let that chance slip by. Especially since, well, you mean so much to me."

She looked back at Lyra, smiling through her tears. "I think you're right, Lyra. I was wrong to try and hide my pain like I did. I'm sorry I worried you."

Lyra smiled back and held Bon-Bon close. "I forgive you, Bons. Just, don't afraid to be open with me. You're such a sweet, happy pony. And I want to continue bringing happiness into your life."

"O-okay," Bon-Bon said, her voice barely above a whisper. "And whenever I need help, I'll know that you'll be right there to support me no matter how bad things get. And I'll do everything in my power to protect you as well."

"Yeah, that kinda goes without saying, Bons," said Lyra with a chuckle. She then let out a content sigh. "I'm so glad nothing's gonna change between us."

Bon-Bon tilted her head, her lips curling into a coy smile. "Well, nothing substantial, at least."

Lyra blinked. "What do you mean by that?"

"I seem to remember you saying that my secret agent identity had sex appeal," Bon-Bon purred, tracing her hoof along Lyra's stomach.

Lyra gulped, her face turning beet red. "I, um... Er, uh... Hoo boy..."

Bon-Bon giggled. "You are so cute when you get all flustered."

"H-hey! No fair using my stuff against me!" Lyra protested.

Bon-Bon laughed again. "What can I say? All's fair in love and war."

Lyra couldn't argue with that, nor did she want to. She simply let out a giggle herself and stared longingly into Bon-Bon's eyes. "I love you, Bon-Bon."

"I love you too, Lyra," Bon-Bon replied.

She then wrapped her hooves around Lyra's barrel. Lyra caressed her mane with her hoof and held her close. The two leaned in and pressed their lips against one another just as the train entered a tunnel. For the first time in a while, Bon-Bon was in complete bliss. No matter what struggles she had to overcome in the past or the future, she knew with full certainty that it would all turn out okay as long as her best friend was by her side.

There's no doubt about it, she thought. This is the life I want.

The End

Comments ( 15 )

I don't know, even though the Elements have returned, it's always better have a fail-safe, which is the HUB.

Great story. Really done well and actually kept me looking for more. Well done.

Though was it on purpose you called it the HUB in memory of, well the HUB?

6440835 Yep, that was totally intentional. I honestly can't believe no one pointed it out until now. :rainbowwild:

6441135 Perhaps people thought it was already noticed and didn't feel like saying anything.

PPS

This plot was pretty flimsy.

- The mysterious disappearances that prompted the new Coltlat mission never come up again. We never learn why they happened, and no one expresses any concern for possible survivors.
- White Lie had no real incentive to play along with Nihilmodo when the other agents were captured.
- Running off to Tartarus was a horrible move. Nothing he could have done at Tartarus would have cleared his name, especially since he left the other agents to fend for themselves.
- Snatcher releases two of the demons in the flashback. There is no indication that they are returned to the book, and they express a strong aversion to returning. Yet, years later, Snatcher has not managed to release any more, and no one seems to remember that any were released, let alone worry about more that could have been released in the meantime.
- White Lie's letter is extremely unconvincing and offers no new evidence regarding his loyalties. Everyone immediately believes it anyway, including Fleur (who hates changelings) and Bon Bon (who said in the flashback that she would need proof to trust him).

It's also kind of disappointing that the Arse Guys are hyped up as super-convincing, but the few times we get to hear them talk, their persuasion isn't very good and doesn't persuade anyone. Also, despite Bon Bon's flashbacks taking substantial amounts of out-of-flashback time, and despite the story repeatedly drawing attention to the flashbacks, they never amounted to anything. It was never an issue that Bon Bon kept spacing out, and it didn't turn out to have any hidden significance.

6616297 Alrighty then. Let's see if I can address your points.

1. The mysterious disappearances are the changelings Snatcher managed to convince to be part of his army.

2. White Lie was trying to bide its time so the Nihilmodo wouldn't get suspicious.

3. You're right about this one; that was a bad move on White Lie's part. But you can't say for sure that it was thinking straight at the time.

4. The Ars Goetia have taken refuge inside Snatcher's mind. It could summon them again if it wanted to; it just never had a reason to.

5. I might be inclined to rework this part. How would you make White Lie's letter more convincing?

6. It's heavily implied that the Ars Goetia are incredibly pretentious. They're only persuasive if you don't think about their arguments too much, which is why Moondancer managed to save White Lie.

7. The flashbacks themselves were supposed to be the point. Bon-Bon was trying to balance her life of peace and her life as an agent, and the stress was too much for her. She was experiencing shell shock, and she refused to let anyone help her until the very end.

I hope I managed to answer your questions, and I thank you for the candid review. :twilightsmile:

PPS

6616696
1. The characters completely forget the issue, though. Celestia expresses no concern for her missing subjects. No one asks Snatcher about the disappearances. The mission plan has nothing in it about learning about the disappearances. If, say, the mission team found a starving, injured hostage they had to lug with them, I get the impression they would've been blindsided. For all they know, there could still be a closet full of injured, starving hostages in the building when they leave.

2. It's not clear what suspicion White Lie is trying to avoid. Nihilmodo already knows White Lie isn't on his side. Or was the idea that White Lie had to choose between either dying, or burning his bridges with HUB and returning to the hive in disgrace? I guess that might've worked.

4. Supposedly, Snatcher has been trying to "unleash their full power" for years. At least, that's what the changeling from Unforgotten Grudges says, and Snatcher's behavior supports the claim, particularly the part in Identity Crisis where it tries to use Lyra and Bon-Bon's love to "wield the full might of the Ars Goetia". It sure seemed like the idea was to summon all of them, but maybe unleashing their full power could be done from inside Snatcher's head. In any case, the protagonists just assume that they got all the Ars Goetia in the final battle. They don't consider that some of them might have been out and about. They don't even check the book to count the demons, since they're so worried about getting convinced into the Ars Goetia's service. In theory, they could have counted how many demons they hit with resealing spells, but that would've been quite difficult. There were 72 demons, it was a hectic battle, and multiple agents were firing reseals.

5. The letter would need to have something in it that wouldn't be there if the letter was falsified. Perhaps some tool of great use in combat against changelings, or physical evidence that White Lie had been working against Chrysalis in the intervening years, or immediately verifiable information of some sort that lets the mission team solve a problem they were having. If you want it to get the immediate, total reversal of opinion it did in the story, it'd probably have to be really strong from both an emotional and a logical perspective.

So many of your stories are the kind of story I want to read, but then when they get into the details, I just can't buy them.

6619742 I did a bit of tweaking to the letter scene as well as White Lie's final argument with Fleur to give things more weight. However, there are some implications that you missed with your other critiques:

1. The changeling army Snatcher managed to amass are not Celestia's missing subjects. They're Chrysalis's missing subjects. That makes it the hive's problem, not Celestia's.

4. Snatcher was biding its time so that it could free all of the Ars Goetia at once. It only summoned Prince Stolas and Marquis Andras temporarily to appease/punish Nihilmodo. In order to summon them all at once, it needed a lot of energy, hence its plan to use Lyra and Bon-Bon's love. But it couldn't do that because White Lie syphoned some of it away.

PPS

6620325
1. Celestia doesn't know that. No one bothers to learn that! For the disappearances of those changelings to make it into the pony news, they must have had disguised identities that mysteriously disappeared. Those apparent pony disappearances would be of serious concern to the good guys, but no one thinks about them. They don't ask any questions about the disappearances when they interrogate their captive in Unforgotten Grudges. They keep trying to find the Key, but they never think about finding missing ponies. They might be able to make an educated guess that the missing ponies in the paper are the changelings that the mountain rescue patrols started noticing, but they don't have enough information to exclude other possibilities, such as the possibility that the changelings showed up from elsewhere and abducted the missing ponies. Even if they made that guess, they never communicate about the issue to make sure they're all on the same page, and they never try to gain information to confirm their guess.

4. Again, the characters don't know that. They just act as if they know it. As far as the characters can tell, Stolas and Andras could have been permanently released in No True Changeling. As far as the characters can tell, they might have been elsewhere during the final fight, and they might still be hiding out somewhere.

I'm focusing on how the characters don't know these things, but it's also an issue that the story never gives any of this information to the readers. Even if, for example, some of these issues were resolved off-screen, the characters still look like they don't care, and the off-screen resolution doesn't resolve things for the readers.

6622553 You're glossing over some major bits of dialogue.

1. Remember in the chapter Awkward Reunions, when Minuette asked why Fleur was making such a big deal about the news story about Coltlat? Rumors of that mountain being haunted have been going on for generations; it's not like Snatcher was the cause of such rumors taking place. But on the off-chance that Snatcher was abducting ponies, Stalliongrad does have a rescue service, as detailed in The Hunters' Last Hurrah. It's their job to find those ponies, not the HUB. They're just there to retrieve the Lesser Key and stop Snatcher's evil plans.

4. In No True Changeling, Marquis Andras states that Snatcher is reconvening the council. At the time, no one knew what that meant, but when they discovered that Snatcher was storing the Ars Goetia in his brain, they can easily infer that that's where they went.

PPS

6623712
I saw those dialogue sections, but I don't think they address my concerns.

1. The chapter doesn't give the impression that the newpaper article is just about rumors. The chapter gives the impression that there have been specific, recent disappearances adding new fuel to the rumors, and that Fleur thinks the disappearances are actually being caused by changelings. I could buy them deciding that investigating the disappearances is secondary to investigating the Ars Goetia - in particular, if they had discovered the disappearances and the Ars Goetia were unconnected, I would expect them to leave the disappearances to mountain rescue - but the way the story reads, the disappearances seem to be directly connected to the primary mission objective. It looks like the changelings have some sinister purpose for causing the disappearances, and figuring out the disappearances seems like an important step towards figuring out the Ars Goetia's plans. Also, if the changelings are holding the missing ponies, that's not a job for mountain rescue.

The disappearances seem like a really important, mission-relevant issue that just disappears. If the intent is for them not to be an issue, it'd be better for the chapter to introduce the changeling issue in a way that doesn't involve unresolved pony disappearances. For example, the newspaper article could be about mountaineers coming back with wild tales that bear the signs of changeling involvement, or there could be signs of mysterious activity in the changelings' library.

4. They can make that inference, but not with any confidence. The mission team's observations are the following:
- Snatcher's minions claim the Ars Goetia are in Snatcher's head.
-- His minions may not be fully informed or fully honest.
- Snatcher talks to the Ars Goetia without the Ars Goetia being visible.
-- This suggests some of them are in his head, but there's no visible difference between Snatcher talking to 72 demons in his head and Snatcher talking to 60 demons in his head. Also, the mission team saw some form of long-distance communication between Snatcher and the Ars Goetia in No True Changeling, so they have reason to suspect the Ars Goetia don't need to be in Snatcher's head to talk with him.
- When Snatcher hulks out in Identity Crisis, the Ars Goetia do not seem to fly into him from somewhere else.
-- Similarly to the previous point, it's hard to tell the difference between Snatcher being empowered by 72 demons inside of him and Snatcher being empowered by 60 demons inside of him. Prior to the point when the binding spells hit Snatcher and work, it's also hard to tell the difference between Snatcher being empowered by demons inside of him and Snatcher being empowered by demons somewhere else.

The observations are consistent with the hypothesis that all the Ars Goetia are in Snatcher's head, but the observations are also consistent with the idea that only some of them are in Snatcher's head. The team also cannot rule out the possibility that even if the Ars Goetia were all in Snatcher for the final battle, previously-unbound demons could have teleported out or fled in the confusion when it was clear they were going to lose. Given the apparent ease with which Snatcher summoned the Ars Goetia before, the team should be more worried about the possibility that the Ars Goetia are not as bound as they appear.


Man, these posts are taking a long time to write, and I still feel like I'm not presenting things as clearly or analyzing things as thoroughly as I could. I need to cut things off at some point, though, because I think I'm spending more hours on these posts than it took me to read the story.

> Chanticleer Hegemony

Someone a fan of Dr Ashens? :P

6997821 I was honestly waiting for someone to get that. :rainbowwild:

6997904

I'm looking forward to the next story, featuring the evil Dr. Antonio Stella Bottom Tile.

7140174 Tempting, but I already used that joke in another one of my stories. :derpytongue2:

7140228

Orly? I must have missed that one.

EDIT: Found it. Google is my best friend.

Login or register to comment