• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 926 Views, 37 Comments

Demons Are Forever - Metool Bard



Bon-Bon's past has come back to haunt her. No, it's not the bugbear. It's a former colleague trying to tie up loose ends. And in some ways, that's far, far worse.

  • ...
3
 37
 926

No True Changeling

A violent strike across Sweetie Drops's cheek was enough to shake her out of unconsciousness. She shivered as she felt a sharp chill wash over her entire body. She tried to move a hoof to her forehead, but she found that they were bound. Black shapes imposed over a snowy white background crowded her impaired vision. When she finally got her bearings, she found herself outside, lying in the snow with all four of her hooves tied together. Her weapons were confiscated, although she could still feel the radio transmitter buried in her ear. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Fleur de Lis in a similar predicament.

"Ah, you're awake. So nice of you to drop in, Special Agent Sweetie Drops."

Sweetie Drops turned her head to a slick, sinister voice. Standing before her was a small platoon of changelings. Among them was Snatcher, still engrossed in its book. She recognized the changeling addressing her as Nihilmodo the archdrone. Nihilmodo used its magic to summon a tray full of truffles

"I'd ask you to join us, but you know what they say," it said with a shrug. "Why waste fresh truffles on someone who won't live long enough to enjoy them?"

Fleur snorted. "Give mine to White Lie. It's earned it."

Sweetie Drops gave Fleur a confused look. "White Lie? What are you talking about?"

"Oh, we didn't tell you? Oh wait, of course we didn't. You were out cold," Nihilmodo snickered before turning to its soldiers. "White Lie! Ms. Drops wishes to know what's really going on."

Sweetie Drops did a double take and gasped. From the crowd of changelings, White Lie stepped forward with a sorrowful look on its face.

"I see you've pieced it together yourself," said Nihilmodo with a sneer. "Yes, White Lie has been serving Queen Chrysalis the entire time. This little 'mission?' It was nothing but a ruse to eliminate the Queen's biggest foes; your accursed Hunter's Undercover Bureau."

"And to think Princess Celestia trusted you," Fleur spat. "I knew this was folly. You can never be too careful with a changeling."

Sweetie Drops shook her head. "Wait, I-I don't understand. Why?"

"Why? You see a changeling serving its Queen, and you ask why?" Nihilmodo laughed, tossing the tray of truffles over its shoulder. "You ponies truly are the most naïve creatures imaginable! How can you be a changeling and not serve the Queen?"

"Ah, logical fallacies. The cardnial sins of argument," said Snatcher absently.

Nihilmodo shot Snatcher a glare. "It's not fallacious, Snatcher. It's fact. Or is there something you would like to confess?"

"No, no. I'm just reading this linguistic dissertation written by King Paimon," said Snatcher. "It's actually quite fascinating."

Nihilmodo growled. "I understand that you want to free the demons in that book so they can properly serve the hive, but in the name of all that is holy, would you kindly pull your nose out of it for two seconds?! We're on the verge of victory over here!"

"Provided that White Lie follows your instructions," Snatcher responded, not even looking up. "And King Asmodeus is not fully convinced that it will."

"Well then, perhaps I'll just have to be a bit more persuasive for your demon friends," Nihilmodo scoffed. "White Lie, make these ponies feel pain."

White Lie sighed and powered up its horn.

"White Lie, wait!" Sweetie Drops yelled, struggling against her bonds. "Th-this has to be some kind of joke! We're your friends!"

White Lie did not respond. Instead it fired a blast that managed to singe Fleur's mane. It snorted.

"Ugh, blasted depth perception," it muttered, firing again and again. Several blasts left a few marks on Sweetie Drops and Fleur, but none of them really connected. Nihilmodo cleared its throat.

"Um, good work, White Lie. That's quite enough. You've made your point," it said. "We'll, work on that depth perception thing later. Heh, no hard feelings about that, right? I mean, it did make for a good cover story. The changeling who left the hive and was scarred for doing so. It certainly has dramatic flair."

"Well, I'm glad we settled what side White Lie's bread is buttered on," Fleur snarled. "But what are you roaches really after? Why steal the Lesser Key?"

"I've actually been asking that quite a bit myself," Snatcher sighed.

Nihilmodo sniggered and shook its head. "I don't expect you to understand. Few creatures can truly comprehend my genius, after all. However, there's one point that even the dullest of simpletons could figure out."

"What's that, then?"

"Thanks to White Lie, the hive now has carte blanche access to Tartarus."

Sweetie Drops's eyes went wide. "You're insane! Those monsters are kept there for a reason, you bastard!"

"What's the matter, Ms. Drops? Afraid we'll lose control of the situation?" said Nihilmodo manically. "We have hypnotizing magic and the Ars Goetia on our side! They'll have no choice but to bow to us! Hmm hmmhmmhmmhmm~!"

It took a moment to recover from its jubilation and cleared its throat. "Anyway, I'm tired of this. Seeing as White Lie can't finish you two off due to technical difficulties, I'll just have someone else do the honors. Snatcher!"

Snatcher looked up from its book. "Yes, archdrone?"

"Think you can summon a couple of your friends to show these monster hunters the true might of the Ars Goetia?"

Snatcher drew in a sharp breath through its teeth. "I don't think you want me to do that, archdrone."

"Oh? And why not?"

"Well, how do I put this? They don't really like you."

Nihilmodo's eye twitched as it turned to face Snatcher. "What? B-but I'm a genius! They admire knowledge!"

"They admire knowledge, not pretentiousness," said Snatcher bluntly. "In fact, Duke Vepar has just informed me that your entire scheme, while serviceable, is needlessly convoluted."

"C-convoluted?!" Nihilmodo squawked. "That right there is blasphemy!"

"Blasphemy, is it? Then why are you missing the forest for the trees?" asked Snatcher. "Why use this tome of unending knowledge merely as bait? Why not free Tartarus's prisoners right away instead of making a grand show of things and announcing your plans to the enemies you're trying to conquer? Simply to stroke your own ego? To prove that you're a 'genius?'"

Nihilmodo narrowed its eyes. "I don't think I like your tone, Snatcher."

"I am merely telling the truth as the Ars Goetia see it, archdrone. You may either accept it or deny it," said Snatcher with a shrug. "Oh, but President Camio would not recommend that latter option. Not unless you wish to make the Ars Goetia madder."

Nihilmodo snorted angrily. "Snatcher, I gave you an order! In the name of all that is holy, you will follow that order and complete this mission!"

Snatcher sighed. "Very well. In fact, I'll do you one better and complete our ultimate objective as well. Duke Agares does like people taking initiative. Just keep in mind that this is your funeral."

Nihilmodo blinked. "Wait, what do you mean by—?"

Before it could ask anything, Snatcher powered up its horn, and its eyes became engulfed in green flame. The pages in the Lesser Key flipped rapidly on their own accord. The wind began to swirl around the entire area. The skies darkened, and lightning flashed. Sweetie Drops and Fleur grunted and snarled as she tried to free themselves.

"Prince Stolas! Marquis Andras!" Snatcher bellowed. "From the depths of consciousness, I call your names! Make yourselves known to this world, and bless it with your brilliance~!"

Two magic beams shot from Snatcher's horn and landed at its feet. From the blasts emerged two owls. One was the same size of an average barn owl, save for the long, stilt-like legs he stood on. The other was a much larger fellow with an extra set of talons extending from his shoulders. He also held a large broadsword that he tapped on his left shoulder.

"There. I'll leave you all to get acquainted," said Snatcher, giving Nihilmodo a mocking salute. "Ta-ra~!"

With that, it took off into the sky and flew away, taking the Lesser Key with it. Nihilmodo stomped its hoof in anger.

"Traitor! Turncoat! No one betrays Queen Chrysalis and gets away with it!" it shouted. "Soldiers, initiate purs—"

It was quickly cut off by the large owl pointing his sword at its throat.

"Such a powerful mind, and yet you use it in all the wrong ways," the owl scolded. "Stolas, this meaningless tetrapod annoys me. Do you wish to end its pitiful existence, or should I?"

"Oh, by all means, Andras," said the smaller owl with a bow. "I see no redemption for one as willfully ignorant as this creature. But perhaps such extreme actions will be enough to draw out the wisdom of its constituents."

Nihilmodo arched its back and pawed the ground. "You think that's going to intimidate someone of my intelligence? You should be bowing to us! Soldiers! Send these fools back to their book!"

Andras sighed. "Such close-minded ignorance. Killing you will be a mercy upon this world. And don't think I won't enjoy it."

With that, he swung his blade, forcing Nihilmodo to leap back. The other changelings charged in an attempt to help their archdrone, but Stolas stood in their way. With a might hoot, Stolas flapped his wings. Underneath all of the changelings, columns of green wind sprang from the snow, scattering them every which way. Some of them charged again, taking on the shapes of yetis and roaring angrily. But once again, Stolas's magic kept them at bay while Andras effortlessly parried and blocked all of Nihilmodo's attacks.

During the commotion, Sweetie Drops felt a sudden heat between her hooves. She looked down and noticed that the cords that bound her had been cut. She turned and noticed that Fleur had been freed as well. Standing before them was White Lie, its own horn pulsing with energy.

"Well, this is turning into a disaster," it muttered, holding out its hoof. "Come, we've no time to lose."

Fleur gave White Lie a blank stare. "What do you mean?"

"I mean we have two of the Ars Goetia running loose, and we should send them back before they do any significant damage," said White Lie.

Fleur looked down at White Lie's hoof for a moment before smacking it away and drawing herself to full height.

"Who do you think you are?!" she snapped, powering up her own horn. "You honestly expect us to buy into more of your lies?!"

White Lie flinched. "Lady de Lis, I assure you. Y-you're making a big mistake."

"The only mistake I made was allowing you to live!" Fleur spat. "Princess Celestia took you in and made you a full-fledged agent, and this is how you repay her?! By leading us right into a trap?!"

"If you'd just let me explain—"

"No! I won't let you lie to me anymore! You changelings are all the same; liars and opportunists to the core! You lie and deceive and take advantage of anypony gullible enough to buy your story! That's all your kind is good for, and you know it!"

White Lie let out an angry snort. "If all changelings are liars, why are you believing Nihilmodo's lies? Because it fits in with this stereotypical narrative you constructed for the entire species?!"

"If you're so innocent, why did those guards know where to find and apprehend me?!" Fleur barked back. "That wouldn't have happened if you didn't inform them of our activities! And why did you follow that blowhard's orders and try to hurt us?!"

"I-I was biding my time! Freeing you right then and there would've been catastrophic! Had I not played along, you would've been killed!"

"You liar!"

The two continued to bicker back and forth as the changelings contended with the Ars Goetia in the background. Sweetie Drops looked between the two of them, her mind working furiously. She played out the entire scenario in her head over and over again, trying to decide who was in the right. She tried to tap her radio to get Dr. Colgate's input, but the only thing she heard was static. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore.

"Both of you, stop it!" she yelled, standing between them. "I think we have more important things to deal with right now!"

"More important than dealing with this traitor?" Fleur huffed.

"For the last time, Lady de Lis. I did not betray you!" White Lie rasped desperately. "Ms. Drops can vouch for me. Can't you?"

Sweetie Drops whipped her head around, a bewildered look plastered on her face. "M-me?"

"Yes. You believe me, right?" said White Lie. "You have to."

Sweetie Drops bit her lip and averted her eyes. "I-I don't know," she mumbled.

White Lie tilted its head. "Pardon me?"

Sweetie Drops sighed. "I don't know. I-I want to believe you, White Lie. I really do. I know how hard it's been for you to adjust to our society, and I wanted to believe that you would be proof that changelings can live in peace with us ponies." She looked up and gave White Lie a stern glare. "But I can't deny that something happened during this mission. After Lady de Lis was captured, you started acting strange. You told me to go to the fourth floor. You then got nervous when I said there was no reason to go there. Then, I was tricked into heading up to the fourth floor and straight into an ambush."

White Lie shook its head in disbelief. "I-I don't understand. What are you saying?"

Sweetie Drops heaved another sigh. "White Lie, as an agent of the Hunter's Undercover Bureau, I am placing you under arrest as a potential double agent. Once this mission is over, we'll hold a trial and find out the truth. Before then, we have to work together and stop the Ars Goetia, just like you said."

Fleur stared at Sweetie Drops as if she had three heads. "Sweetie Drops, this is not the time for proper protocol! Be reasonable!" she protested. "You're just giving it ample time to backstab us again!"

"Or maybe I'm giving it ample time to prove itself," Sweetie Drops countered. "Innocent until proven guilty, right?"

"What more proof do you need?! It played us like a fiddle this whole time!"

Sweetie Drops scrunched her eyes shut and gritted her teeth. After taking in a sharp breath, she gave Fleur an angry glare. "Lady de Lis, I don't know what White Lie did or didn't do, and I don't think you know, either! But unlike you, I'm not going to let my personal feelings get in the way of performing my duty! Now get your bigoted head out of your dock and focus on the—"

"So, this is what it comes down to, is it?"

Sweetie Drops turned to see a despondent White Lie hanging its head. She opened her mouth to say something, but White Lie cut her off.

"Don't even try, Ms. Drops. I know you wanted to help, but this isn't the help I need," it said darkly. "If you truly thought I was innocent, you wouldn't treat me like a criminal. But no. You're not sure if you can trust me."

"I'm not sure of anything, White Lie," Sweetie Drops tried to explain. "Not without some form of proof."

White Lie let out a sad snicker. "So be it. If that's how we're playing this, then I'm afraid I have no other alternative."

Suddenly, a bright flash emanated from its horn, blinding Sweetie Drops and causing her to stumble. When her vision recovered, White Lie was flying off over the horizon.

"Come back here, you coward!" Fleur bellowed, attempting to give chase. "We won't let you get away that eas—"

A wounded changeling flew out in front of her, stopping her in her tracks. She and Sweetie Drops turned their attention to the battle and found that the Ars Goetia barely appeared winded as they stared down Nihilmodo's wounded army.

"I-I may have made a few miscalculations," Nihilmodo rasped. "Don't think this is over. Soldiers, we got what we came for! Retreat!"

The changelings all fled into the mountains, leaving the two owl demons alone with Sweetie Drops and Fleur de Lis. Stolas hooted and ruffled his feathers.

"I thought you said you were planning on killing that mouth breather," he said.

Andras shrugged his shoulders and tapped his shoulder with the flat of his blade. "I decided to give it a free pass. This is the most exercise I've had in over a millennium; it wouldn't be polite to kill someone after they granted me such a courtesy."

"Perhaps, though I gladly await the day it finds some way to off itself," said Stolas. "The close-minded have a tendency towards self-destruction."

"Indeed, my dear colleague," said Andras with a nod. He then looked over at Sweetie Drops and Fleur. "Ah, hello. Sorry about that display; ignorance tends to be a pet peeve of the Ars Goetia. I am Marquis Andras, and this is my colleague, Prince Stolas. Can we help you?"

"Don't try to sweet talk us, demons," Fleur growled, arching her back. "We're with the HUB, and you two are going back into that book where you belong."

Andras's feathers bristled. "If you truly think I'm going to spend another femtosecond trapped within those pages, then you are mistaken. I would gladly give you reasons as to why that is, but if you would prefer a duel—"

Fleur didn't allow Andras to finish. She fired a spell from her horn, which Stolas dodged. A few of his tail feathers transformed into two-dimmensional shapes and floated away. Stolas growled.

"It seems you've chosen action over words," he said, ruffling up his feathers. "I'm sure Ose would respect your position, but I just find it to be a shame. Ah well, no use delaying the inevitable."

"Indeed," said Fleur, pawing the ground. "As it turns out, I'm plenty cross right now, and you two are the closest punching bags on hoof. Sweetie Drops, you take the one with the sword. I've got the tall one."

Sweetie Drops nodded. "Alright. Just, be careful, Lady de Lis."

Andras adopted a battle position as Stolas hopped to his side. He pointed his sword at the two ponies. "At your ready, then."

Fleur charged first, casting a spell at Stolas. Stolas stretched out his legs, causing the beam to fly between them. He then flapped his wings, summoning a column of wind beneath Fleur's feet. Fleur put up a barrier just in the nick of time, although she still felt a sharp impact to her gut. As the two continued exchanging spells, Sweetie Drops threw a punch at Andras. Andras simply parried the blow and thrusted with his sword. Luckily, Sweetie Drops's reflexes allowed her to sidestep the strike.

"You know, I was actually listening to your little conversation back there," said Andras, leaping over a leg sweep. "I certainly found it more engaging than anything that troglodyte changeling had to say. No wonder our conjurer hates it so much."

"Hey, pay attention, pal!" Sweetie Drops snapped, throwing a punch. This one connected, sending Andras back a few paces.

"I-I don't see the harm in multitasking," said Andras, clearing his throat and shaking himself. "Anyway, I must say, Ms. Drops, was it? You show quite a bit of wisdom."

"Flattery won't get you anywhere, birdbrain!" Sweetie Drops spat. "I'm taking you down!"

She spun around on her front hooves and bucked with all her might. The blow landed square in Andras's midsection, knocking the wind out of him.

"S-strong too. Impressive. Perhaps Ose would've made a better opponent for you," said Andras with a chuckle. "Oh well, I'll just have to tell him all about you once the council reconvenes, as my conjurer calls it."

Sweetie Drops blinked. "Wait, what are you talking abou— whoa!"

She was cut off when Andras swung his sword. She rolled out of the way, wincing as she saw tiny strands of her mane rain down from the strike.

"It's a complicated matter, and I haven't the time to explain it," said Andras simply. He swung again, and this time, Sweetie Drops caught the blade between her hooves. With a grunt, she forced it back with all her might, digging her hind hooves into the snow as Andras towered over her.

"Y-you're not so tough," Sweetie Drops grunted, powering through the strain on her body.

"Ah, bravado. The last refuge of a defeated warrior," Andras mused. "But seriously, you do show quite a bit of intelligence for a brute. When confronted with your alleged ally's story, you didn't accept it or condemn it. You wanted to know the truth before making a blind accusation. That sort of skepticism is welcome and encouraged by the Ars Goetia. It's a pity that you have this poor impression of us. I'm sure many of us would love to have a discussion about morality and justice with you. And you'll find that most of us are quite honest and open-minded." He then turned to Fleur's battle with Stolas and scoffed. "Unlike your other friend, who is so convinced that she's right that she won't listen to reason or logic. Such ignorance truly is a blight on this world. I might just do it a favor and purge her from existence."

Sweetie Drops's eyes snapped open. "Over my dead body!"

With a sudden burst of adrenaline, she yanked the sword out of Andras's talons and threw it over her head. The blade flew through the air before embedding itself in a stone some distance away. Andras's face darkened.

"Tsk tsk. You really wish to see that ungulate survive even though she doesn't use any of her cognitive facilities?" he admonished. "Perhaps you're not as wise as I thought."

"Lady de Lis might have her own issues and biases, but she's still my friend," Sweetie Drops proclaimed, leering at Andras with all the spite she could muster. "And she's no fool, either."

"Now see, that's rather debatable, considering what happened between you two and the changeling," said Andras, stroking his chin. "Ah well. It is of no consequence. The council is about to be reconvened. Stolas!"

Stolas dodged one of Fleur's spells before knocking her away with his wind magic. "Yes, Andras. I hear it, too. It appears out conjurer has achieved what it has set out to do."

"Either that, or it requires witnesses," said Andras. "I'm sure we'll find out soon enough." He then turned to Sweetie Drops and smiled. "Well, Ms. Drops. This has been most enriching. I hope we'll meet again under more, peaceful terms."

There was a flash of green light, and both of the owl demons disappeared. Fleur spat and pounded her front hoof in anger.

"Come back, you cowards! All of you!" she yelled into the empty void.

"They're gone, Lady de Lis. There's no use throwing a tantrum about it," said Sweetie Drops, tapping her radio. "Dr. Colgate, come in."

"Sweetie Drops? I-is that you?"

Sweetie Drops sighed and nodded. "It's me."

"Oh thank goodness. I was trying to get through to you forever. Some sort of magical interference jammed the signal," said Dr. Colgate. "You okay?"

"Define 'okay.'"

"Uh-oh. That's not good. Report."

"The whole thing was a setup," Fleur said darkly. "White Lie led us into a trap."

"That's just a theory, though. We don't know for sure," Sweetie Drops clarified. "Apparently, this Nihilmodo guy wanted to use White Lie to get access to Tartarus, and Snatcher sent two of the Ars Goetia after us before running off."

"And White Lie?"

"It, flew off as well. I wanted to place it under arrest so we could have a trial, but it wasn't too keen on the idea. Nihilmodo's changelings and the Ars Goetia have also disappeared."

"I see. One moment."

Fleur groaned. "Dr. Colgate, do we really need your time stream to decide our next course of action? We need to get to Tartarus and stop White Lie before it sets anyone free!"

"Um, yeah. Funny thing about that," said Dr. Colgate sheepishly. "I'm looking at the possibilities right now, and, well, it's not good. None of it."

"Elaborate," said Sweetie Drops.

"I mean it's too late. Best-case scenario, you and White Lie just miss each other," said Dr. Colgate.

Sweetie Drops chewed on her lip. "Well, can you call it on the radio?"

"Already tried that. I got nothing but static." Dr. Colgate sighed. "Face it, girls. This mission's a bust. We've failed our objective. There's nothing more we can do but brace ourselves for what happens next."

"And, what happens next?"

"There are lots of answers to that question. Almost none of them are good," said Dr. Colgate, heaving another sigh. "I'll send for an airship to extract you ASAP, so maintain your current position. I'm also sending a report to Princess Celestia so she can at least try to mitigate the damage."

"Copy that, Dr. Colgate. Standing by," said Sweetie Drops, tapping off her radio. She then pounded the snow in frustration. "Dammit all."

"I know how you feel, Sweetie Drops," said Fleur, flexing her hoof. "Rest assured, I won't let those insects get the better of us next time."

Sweetie Drops sighed shook her head. "I don't know, Lady de Lis," she said, staring off into space. "We fell right into Nihilmodo's trap, whatever it was. And remember, it said its ultimate goal was to take down the HUB. After what happened today, I'm not so sure that there's even going to be a next time..."