• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 2,245 Views, 19 Comments

Revelations - CoastBrumby



Applebloom discovers shocking truths about her family when a school project sends her searching in the town records.

  • ...
7
 19
 2,245

Mother

It was afternoon in the town of Ponyville in the magical Kingdom of Equestria. The weather was pleasant for mid-autumn, and all the students in the Ponyville schoolhouse were in high spirits. The students were in high spirits because they were blessed with a land awash with peace and prosperity and the foals’ and fillies’ school teacher was kind and diligent mare named Ms Cheerilee.

Ms Cheerilee was a dedicated teacher and she loved to give her students challenges that would help them grow and learn. Little did she know the challenge she had just issued would change the life of one of her students forever.

Ms Cheerilee stood in front of her class, and delivered her final reminder. “Remember, I want you to think about a pony of Ponyville who is no longer with us. I want you to think about who you want to write a report on for your local history project. Think about it tonight, and bring your ideas to me tomorrow. That wraps up today’s lessons. Have a safe journey home. Class dismissed.” She said.

Applebloom felt a heaviness in her heart. She turned to her friends Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. “You two go on ahead. Ah’ll meet y’all outside. I need to ask the teacher something.” She said.

The two fillies left with the rest of her class, and soon Applebloom was alone with Ms Cheerilee.

Ms Cheerilee looked at her student kindly. She had a soft spot for Applebloom as her dating Big Mac was largely due to Applebloom and her two friends’ efforts. “How can I help you, Applebloom? Do you have a question about today’s lessons?” Ms Cheerilee asked.

Applebloom nodded. “Yeah, I do. I want to know if it’s alright if I write my report about my parents. They’re no longer with us. You know that?” She said.

“Yes, I do know that. I thought you might ask that. You can write your report about them. I did not know them well, but I remember they were popular ponies who were well respected and active in the community much in the same way Applejack is today. I would love to learn more about them. Do you have the list of things that need to be included in your report?” Ms Cheerilee said.

“Yep, I have it.” Applebloom said.

“Good, how about you get a head start and start doing some of your research this afternoon.” Ms Cheerilee said.

Applebloom smiled. “Okay, thanks, Ms Cheerilee. See you tomorrow.” She said.

“Good afternoon, Applebloom.”

Applebloom galloped out the door and passed her waiting friends. “No time for crusading today. Ah gotta get home and do some schoolwork.” She said as she accelerated along the road.

Sweetie Belle looked at Scootaloo. “Do you think we should chase after her?” The elegant young Unicorn asked her stubby winged Pegasus friend.

“Nah, we are supposed to go meet Twilight Sparkle, so we can ask if we can become her ladies in waiting,” Scootaloo said.

“Oh yeah, it was my big sister’s idea, but I’m not so sure I’d like it. I don’t even know why Princesses need ladies to wait all the time. Is it the mail for which they wait? Do you just go home when it arrives?” Sweetie Belle said.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle will know, but I don’t think we’ll get our cutie marks out of this. What would a cutie mark in waiting even look like?” Scootaloo said.

“We can’t keep the Princess waiting. Let’s scoot, Scootaloo.” Sweetie Belle said. “Race ya.” She declared. The two blank flank fillies galloped away from the schoolhouse. Brown and gold leaves fell from trees in their wake.

“I’m home.” Applebloom called out as she trotted into the Sweet Apple Acres farmhouse.

“Welcome back.” Granny Smith said. The elderly pony was sitting in her favourite rocking chair. It looked like she had been knitting, or perhaps napping. She stood up and stretched. “Applejack and Big Mac are in the fields working if you’re looking for ‘em. How was school today?” she said.

“It was fun.” Applebloom said. “You’re just the pony I want to see, Granny. I want to talk to you about my Ma and Pa.”

“You mean Appleleaf and Applejohn?” Granny Smith said slowly.

“Yeah, I need to all about them for me school report on Ponyville ponies who have passed.” Applebloom said.

“That’s a lot for a little pony to know. Are you sure there aren’t specific questions you need answered? I remember teachers were considerate when I was a filly.” Granny Smith said.

“Oh yeah, I have a list of questions.” Applebloom said. She rummaged in her saddlebag. She pulled out a sheet of paper and spat it out on a nearby table. “It says here I need to know their full names, when they lived, and when they died. I also need to know their notable accomplishments.”

Granny Smith sighed. “I can tell you when they were born, and how they lived, but how they died is something I don’t like to think about. It’s too painful. I’m sorry.” She said.

“Is it too painful for Applejack and Big Mac too?” Applebloom said.

“I’m sorry, sugar cube. It was a difficult time for all of us. It sad because you deserve answers. It’s only right for a pony to know who she is and where she comes from.” Granny Smith said solemnly. She suddenly perked up. “Ah have an idea. Why don’t ya try the town archives at city hall? If you leave now, you can be there and back before dinner.”

Applebloom beamed with delight. “Thanks, Granny Smith. I’ll see you at dinner then.” Applebloom left in a rush. There was a cloud of dust in her wake as she galloped away.

Granny Smith watched the little filly as she left. “I’m sorry, Applejack, but she has a right to know. I don’t know if this is the best way, but it is the only way I have the strength to carry out.” Granny Smith said to herself, and the empty air.

Applebloom arrived in front of city hall in a huff. She panted heavily at the door. The Mayor trotted out.

“Good afternoon, Applebloom. You look like you just ran a race. What brings you to my front door in such a hurry?” The dignified grey mare asked the sweaty filly.

Applebloom composed herself. “Good afternoon, Madame Mayor. I came here to do some research. Are the archives still open?” She asked.

The Mayor looked at Applebloom thoughtfully. “What would you like to know?” She asked.

“Ah need to know when my parents were born, and when they died.” Applebloom said.

A serious look came over The Mayor’s face. “You need the town registry of births, deaths, and marriages. Follow me.” The Mayor said.

The Mayor led Applebloom to a room filled with filing cabinets. Strangely she asked the clerk working in the room to take a break. The Mayor the proceeded to take different papers out of different cabinets. She laid all the papers out in front of Applebloom. “This is all the official information we have on Appleleaf and Applejohn. You may copy all the information you see before you, but the papers must remain in this room.” The Mayor said.

“Thank ya kindly.” Applebloom said. She began reading the papers and taking notes. She muttered with a pencil in her mouth. A minute passed and she spat the pencil out. “That’s impossible.” She said.

“What is impossible?” The Mayor asked softly.

“The date of my mother’s death. It’s impossible. It says here she died a full ten months before I was born.” Applebloom said.

“I assure you. The date of Appleleaf’s death is accurate. I was her friend. I was at her funeral. I still miss her.” The Mayor said.

“Then maybe I got my own birthdate wrong. Can I see my birth certificate?” Applebloom said.

“No, we do not have a copy of it because you were not born in Ponyville.” The Mayor said.

“But my sister says I was born on the farm. She told me how excited she was to have a baby sister.” Applebloom said.

“Applebloom, you need to talk to Applejack about what you have learned today. It is not my place to say anymore. You should go now. The days are growing shorter, and the nights are growing colder.” The Mayor said.

Applebloom carefully returned her papers to her saddlebag. “Ah right, thanks Madame Mayor. Ah’ll just be on my way then.” She said.

“I will walk you to the door. You move like, Appleleaf. She had such energy and joy in her steps.” The Mayor said to Applebloom.

Applebloom remained silent until she reached the door. “Goodbye, Madame Mayor.” She turned and looked at The Mayor in the eyes. “If I don’t get enough information about Appleleaf from my family, can I ask you about her?” Applebloom asked.

The Mayor smiled. “I would be delighted to talk about her with you. She and I were such very good friends.” She said. The Mayor waved goodbye.

Applebloom waved back. She galloped home, but not as fast as when she ran to the archives. There was much on the young filly’s mind.

Applebloom arrived home just in time for dinner. Before she had time to speak to Applejack, her hooves were washed, and she was sitting at the dinner table with Big Mac, Applejack, and Granny Smith.

“What’s the matter, sweetheart? You’ve hardly touched your mushroom steak or steamed vegetables. I know you like it because you ate it up last week.” Applejack said to Applebloom.

“I don’t have much of an appetite. I’d like to go bed now.” Applebloom said.

“What’s wrong? Are you feeling ill?” Applejack asked.

“No, I just don’t have any energy at the moment.” Applebloom said.

“Well, in that case, you better go lie down. I’ll but your dinner under a cover, so you can eat it later if you feel better.” Applejack said.

Applebloom got up from her chair, and pushed it in. “G’night, y’all.” She said.

“I’ll be up to check on you in a little bit.” Applejack said.

Applebloom trotted to her room and flopped on her bed. She lay there and stared at the wall as the last of the day’s light faded.

Applejack opened Applebloom’s door slowly. “You awake, Applebloom.” She whispered.

“Yes, Ah am awake. My eyes are open, now.” Applebloom said.

“I see. Granny Smith told me you visited the archives today. You want to talk about it?” Applejack said.

“No.” Applebloom said flatly.

“Why not?” Applejack asked.

“Because I don’t like the truth. Because I don’t like the thought of my entire family lying to me my entire life.” Applebloom said.

“I’m sorry.” Applejack said.

“So you admit you’ve lied. So you admit that I am not your real sister.” Applebloom said.

“Yes.” Applejack said.

Applebloom began to cry. “So, you admit that I am not a real Apple. You admit that somepony just left me on the farm one day. You admit ah’m a foundling. You admit that you only took care of me because my real family didn’t want me.” Applebloom said through her tears.

“Never, because that simple isn’t true.” Applejack said.

Applebloom stood on her bed. She stared at Applejack in the eyes. “What is the truth?” She asked.

Applejack teared up. “Search your heart. You know the truth.” She said.

Applebloom’s eyes widened. “The truth is I am not your real sister because I am your real daughter. The truth is you are my mother.” She said.

Applejack embraced her daughter. “Yes, it is a truth I’ve hidden for so long, but no more. No more. You’re the best filly a mother could ask for in all of Equestria. I’ll admit that with pride.” Applejack released Applebloom. “I’ll make a banner, and I’ll get Rainbow Dash to fly it around. The banner will read ‘Applejack is Applebloom’s mother.’” Applejack said.

Applebloom laughed. “I could write a Gabby Gums article in the Foal Free Press.” She said.

“That sounds like a great idea.” Applejack said.

“You know what would be even better. It would be even better if I could include the name of my father in the article.” Applebloom said.

Applejack paused. She spoke quickly. “Your father is a local pony who comforted me after my mother died. He is a good pony who works in town. You were born in Manehatten. He does not know you are his daughter.” Applejack said.

Applebloom spoke loudly, “But if he is a good pony, I want to know him.”

“Aren’t I enough?” Applejack said. “Plus, you have Big Mac to show you what Earth Pony Stallions are like. Your father is married now. He has other children. There could be problems.”

Applebloom thought for a moment. “Hmmm, a good Earth Pony who is married with children. It’s Mister Cake. Isn’t it?” Applebloom said.

“You’re sharper than a champion lumberjack’s axe, but I’m begging ya. Don’t take matters into your own hooves. This needs to be handled delicately. I don’t want to be seen as a threat to Missus Cake. We’ll talk to him before we tell anypony outside of the family our true relationship. I was thinking silly earlier. He would have figured out he was your father on his own if I suddenly announced the truth. No pony outside the family knows right now. Pinkie Pie knows ‘cause I told her, but she’s an Apple Pie.” Applejack said.

“Umm, Ah think The Mayor knows.” Applebloom said.

“She was my mother’s closest friend, so that makes sense, and I wouldn’t put it past Twilight Sparkle knowing somehow. That pony loves being nosy and her research, but she’s kept her trap shut, so I can’t begrudge her. How about this? I will go see Twilight tomorrow while you are at school, and I’ll pick you up afterschool and we can go to Sugar Cube Corner together.” Applejack said.

“I’m so nerviscited.” Applebloom said.

“Ya been spending time ‘round your godmother, Pinkie Pie.” Applejack said.

“Pinkie Pie is my godmother.” Applebloom yelled joyfully.

“She sure is. I made her your godmother shortly after I learned she was kin. Your other godmother is your Great Aunt Orange. I made Pinkie your godmother, so you wouldn’t have to move to Manehatten if something were to happen to me. I want you to know I got life insurance and my last will and testament all sorted out a long time ago, but I updated it to reflect Pinkie’s status. My share of the farm is to pass to you, but it would be held in trust by Pinkie until you came of age.” Applejack said.

“Ah don’t want to think about such sad things.” Applebloom said. She lowered her head.

“Buck up. I ain’t going nowhere. I’m just taking proper precautions. Now, why don’t you come on downstairs and finish your dinner. You’re a growing filly, and you need your sustenance.” Applejack.

“Okay, but I gotta say something first. I love you, Ma.” Applebloom said.

Applejack kissed Applebloom lightly on the forehead. “I love you too, sugar cube.”

Author's Note:

I prefer to spell Apple Bloom as Applebloom. I think It looks nicer like that.:applecry::coolphoto:

I know this is an old theme, but I hope my new twists make it fresh.:raritywink: