• Published 27th May 2012
  • 2,932 Views, 59 Comments

My Paper Pony - Garfield

  • ...
2
 59
 2,932

Chapter 4-3: The Cutie Mark Crusaders Ride Again!

"Hello, my little Celestia!" called out a familiar voice. Quickly throwing Cadence into her wardrobe, the Princess of the Sun looked on as Discord teleported into her room. "You'll never guess what I've just received word of!"

"I don't particularly care, so please leave my room" replied the princess, not even looking at him.

"Oh, but you should. It involves all of your little ponies, especially that little red whelp" he said, floating over to her. "Let's just say, him and his friends have all been dragged through the rocks."

"I highly doubt that. Mario has enough resolve to fight off anything you could ever throw at him" said Celestia, glaring at the Draconequus.

"Even a Cockatrice? Because a little puppy told me that he tried that and now all of his friends are little statues" Discord said, putting his arm around the princess.

"I don't believe you" said Celestia, her voice faltering slightly.

"Well, when I get those garden decorations delivered tomorrow, you can see for yourself. Hell, I'll even let you have one if you want. Do you know what the best bit is? Those stupid dogs will all be chimps after I get my trophies, then I don't even need to get the dragons I hired into position. I'll make sure I pop in and see Loony on the way back!" he cackled, teleporting back out of the room.

Crawling out of the wardrobe with a pale blue dress caught on her horn, Cadence slowly walked up to Celestia. "Do you think he is telling the truth?" she asked.

"Deep down inside, I think he is. I wish he weren't though, since we only have half of the elements so far" she said, levitating her dress off of the pink princess. "Still, we mustn't think negatively, and I think we might have a lead on that Garble which we saw in the ledger."

"Go on" said Cadence, sitting next to her on the bed.

"I think he may be involved with the dragons Discord mentioned he hired. It'd make sense if he was their leader."

"The odds do keep getting stacked against us, don't they?" replied the pink princess, dryly.

"Either way, we need to wait and see if they really did fail in their mission. If they did, we will need to make alternate arrangements" said Celestia, looking out of her window towards the sun she once controlled.




Elsewhere in the castle, a certain earth pony had just returned from the surface of Equestria. "Lord Discord!" she called out as she floated through the castle between rooms. In front of her, a large lump of ice formed in front of her. Chunks of it broke off, revealing the form of a Draconequus. Proceeding to break out of his icy form, Discord floated towards his minion.

"You're back, Screwy!" he cheered, picking her up. "What news do we bring from the surface!"

"The Diamond Dogs have set up a total of 4 statues for you, as well as amassing their troops into an army for you. They are ready to sack Ponyville at your command" she said, reading off of a notebook she conjured up. "Do you want them to attack now?"

"No, we'll let them go crazy with fear first. Get the dogs to sit around the outskirts of Luna's barrier and let nothing in. Then, after I go and break her poor little mind, the dogs can attack" he dictated to his assistant.

"Anything else?" the pink pony asked.

"Not at all, my little piece of chaos. Now run along, I have a party to organise" he said, teleporting away again. Humming to herself, Screwball floated back off to the guard tower and disappeared in a whirl of purple magic.




"Keep up Applebloom!" called out Scootaloo.

"I'm trying to, but my knee really hurts!" called back Applebloom. Turning around, Scootaloo came to a stop. They had been running from the chamber in which a Cockatrice had been unleashed upon their friends, thanks to Big Macintosh's sacrifice. "What are we gonna do, Scoots?"

"Well, Rainbow Dash would charge in there and beat up every single dog in there" said Scootaloo, smacking her hooves together.

"Even if we did that, we couldn't take down that Cockatrice. You saw how quickly it petrified my brother!" gasped Applebloom, struggling to breathe. "That thing would turn us to stone in seconds and we don't even have Fluttershy around to save us! We're doomed to stay in this hole forever!" she sobbed, beginning to cry.

"We'll find a way, so dry your eyes up" said the orange filly. "First of all, we need to find some help if we are going to escape here. Didn't Princess Luna say that guards had been attacking here? Maybe we can get some prisoners to help us."

Sniffing, the yellow filly chuckled. "We always seem to do that, don't we. Ok, let's go!" she said, picking herself up, jogging after Scootaloo. Shortly after they began running, they happened upon a large chamber, which was shrouded in darkness.
"This room feels... creepy" said Scootaloo, grabbing a torch from the wall. Illuminating the room, she could see multiple cages lined up and covered in cloths.

"Something tells me that what's under there is going to be bad" said the yellow filly as her friend approached the cage. Pulling the sheet off, the orange pegasus jumped back in shock, giving off a yelp. Inside the cage were about 3 guardsmen, all turned to stone. "Check the others!" shouted Applebloom, running over to the other cages. As they uncovered each of the cages, they saw more and more petrified guardsponies. At the end of the room was a giant cage, cloaked in a blood red sheet.

"Do we really want to check that cage?" asked the earth pony, trying not to look at the guardsponies' looks of horror frozen to their faces.

"We have to try. It could be hours until the reinforcements arrive and we are deep behind enemy lines" replied Scootaloo, approaching the prison. Giving the sheet a quick tug, they saw the faces of many familiar ponies. In the centre was one that belonged to one that was their fellow crusader.

"SWEETIE BELLE!" they yelled together, surprised at the look of horror frozen on the unicorn fillies face.

"Oh Celestia, they got her, Lyra and Vinyl in there!" said Scootaloo, trying to break open the cage. There were also ponies that they didn't recognise, likely ponies who had attempted to find asylum in Ponyville from around Equestria.

"Stay calm Scoots!" yelled Applebloom, trying to pull her friend off of the cage. The pegasus had been biting at the lock and slamming it on the bars. Putting her hoof over Scootaloo's mouth, the yellow filly pointed towards the hole in which they entered the room. "I think I hear something coming" she whispered. Hiding behind the cage, the two fillies watched the entrance.

"I'm telling you, I heard a scream from down here" growled a low voice. Entering the room was two of the dig dogs, along with the reptilian creature from before. "I think some prisoners may have escaped from their stone prisons."

"It just your imagination. Still, let bird-dragon go sniff out any intruders" said the second one, nudging the Cockatrice into the room.

"What are we gonna do?" whispered Scootaloo.

"What did Fluttershy do to get rid of it when we went into the forest alone?" asked Applebloom.

"She went all crazy on it, threatening to tell its mother on it. Do you think we should do that?" asked the pegasus. Just then, they heard armour clanging and the dogs leaving the room. Poking her head around the corner of the cage, she saw that the monster was on its own, looking at the statue of a cowering guard.

"You can try, but she used that stare thingy. I don't think we could pull it off" replied the yellow filly. "Maybe we should do it like my big sis would do it."

"Tie it up and beat it?" asked Scootaloo. "Rainbow Dash would do that, and when has she ever lost a fight?"

"My big sister could beat her up!" said Applebloom, her voice getting louder.

"Keep it down!" hissed the orange pegasi, putting her hoof over her friends mouth. "We need to think of a plan before that thing gets us."

"I have an idea..." said the earth pony, looking at a pile of rocks near them.




Running towards the monster, Scootaloo chucked stones at its head. "Hey Bird-brain! You missed a pony!" she shouted, throwing stones at its face. "Come and get me!" Squawking in rage, the Cockatrice ran after the filly. Pouncing on its prey, the reptile sank its claws into the pegasus' hind quarters.

"Incoming!" yelled Applebloom, running up to the half dragon, half chicken's side. Swinging a makeshift sling out of her saddlebag and a few rocks she found, it collided with the Cockatrice's skull, knocking it to the ground. Running over to it, she covered the birds head with her bag and swung a hoof at it. "Unstone all of the ponies!" yelled the earth pony, bucking it in the ribs.

Squawking in pain, the monster swung its tail around, narrowly missing Scootaloo. "I don't think it is working!" she shouted, dodging the flailing reptile.

"It just needs a little more persuasion!" replied the yellow filly, swinging another hoof at the Cockatrice. As soon as the hoof collided with the beak of the beast, it stopped flailing and slumped to the floor. Shaking her hoof off, Applebloom looked around and saw several bursts of light erupting from cages.

"I'm alive!" yelled one pony from his cage. Other murmurs of similar joy could be heard, with many ponies hugging their family members.

"Sweetie Belle!" yelled Scootaloo, running towards the cage that held her friend. "You're OK!"

Shaking her head, the white unicorn ran up to the edge of the cage, putting her hooves through the gaps. "Where... Am I?"

"Well, currently, we are inside the tunnels that are owned by the local Diamond Dog gang. But don't worry, we are gonna beat up these dogs and make our way and rescue all the ponies down here!" said Applebloom, kicking the lock on the cage.

"What." said Sweetie Belle flatly. "What is even going on."

"We'll explain later, but we are gonna need more ponypower" said the pegasus filly, looking over to the cage containing some angry guards.




"Hu-what?!" shouted Spot, looking over at his prized possessions. His presents to Discord had been unpetrified, and were glaring right at him.

"We're alive!" yelled Ditzy, picking Trixie up off of the ground.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie requests that you do not shake her so much" she said, looking rather ill.

"Hey mutts!" yelled Mario, helping Big Macintosh to his feet. "Why aren't we stone anymore?"

"We, we don't know!" shouted Fido, blowing on his whistle. "Dogs! Find that damn bird and get it down here!"

Looking around, the large red farmer saw the absence of a small yellow filly. "Where's Applebloom!" he yelled, kicking at the door. Seeing the metal door begin to buckle, Big Mac began swinging his legs harder and harder.

"Hold on a second, Mac, we're gonna need some more firepower to break this door down" said Mario, calling over the pegasus and unicorn with him. "On my mark, we buck the door down."

"3". They tensed the muscles in their legs.

"2". They squatted down on their front legs.

"1". They raised their hind legs.

"NOW!" the plumber yelled, unleashing power on his hind legs. The door began to shake, but it still stood strong, albeit dented and scuffed. "And again!"

"Stop!" yelled Spot, running up to the cage. "One more kick and I'll spear the lot of you!" he said, poking a spear into the cage, narrowly missing the grey pegasus' head.

"Where are those damn soldiers!" yelled Fido, looking away at the tunnel. "We need these petrified before Discord gets here, otherwise we won't get to be his number one species!"

"He will only betray you" said Mario, pushing the spear out of the way. "Chances are he'll pick dragons or even Parasprites over you mutts."

"ENOUGH!" yelled the small dog by their cage. "I will not have such insolence by filthy ponies such as you!"

"What's the matter? Did we strike a nerve or something?" asked Trixie, smirking. Just before the dog could reply or swing a spear around, a dig dog ran into the room. Barking into the ear of Rover, he said something that caused the leader's jaw to drop.

"What do you mean, there has been a prison break? I want you in there beating those ponies to dust!" Barking into his ear again, the dog began flailing his arms frantically.

"About a hundred ponies, with three little fillies leading them shouting 'Cutie Mark Crusader Rioter's, yay'?" said the boss dog, incredulously.

Whispering to the large red stallion, Ditzy said "That sounds like the girls we know."

"We can use this as a distraction. When they all bust in, we kick down the gate and you three join the brawl. I'll run off and try to find where they hid their element." whispered Mario in a huddle. In the distance, a rumble of hooves could be heard. "Get ready, here comes the cavalry..."




"CHAAAAAARGE!!" yelled Scootaloo, as she weaved between the legs of the armoured dogs. In a panic, the canine soldiers began to flee at the sight of an enraged unit of soldiers running straight at them, along with a bunch of angry civilians all wielding primitive clubs.

"Why are we leading the charge?" asked Sweetie Belle, trying to keep up with her friends. "We aren't even armed."
"Don't ask questions, we're just bringing all of the ponies back to where my big brother is being held" said Applebloom, tripping a particularly dumb dig dog with her tail. "We should nearly be there now."

"I hope so, I think I have a stitch" groaned the white filly, jumping of the back of a collapsed dog. In the distance, they saw a small hole in the wall.

"Through here, girls!" called out the earth filly, jumping through a large hole in the wall. In front of them was a bunch of dogs surrounding their destination. "Hold on tight!" she shouted, jumping towards the lead dog. With her fellow crusaders holding onto her back, she pounced onto his shoulders and used them as a springboard over the array of spears. Hearing a clunk of Scootaloo's hooves connecting with the head of a dig dog, Applebloom rolled under the legs of the lumbering guards and dived into the room. Following her was the small unicorn, now covered in dirt and an orange pegasus, covered in bruises.

"Over there! That's them!" shouted Scootaloo, as she regained her footing.

"It's the brats!" shouted Trixie, seeing the intruders to the room.

"On three!" yelled Mario, getting into position. "One... Two... Three... NOW!"

"Wha-Stop!" shouted Spot, before he was knocked flying by the collapsing gate. From captivity ran a gaggle of disgruntled ponies, towards the retreating dogs. One remained behind to pick up the dazed dog on the floor, as the cavern slowly descended into a chaotic brawl between jailers and prisoners.

Dragging the dog away from the fight, the red plumber held his prior captor up against a wall. "Where is the element of harmony?" he said, pushing his hoof on his throat.

"I'll never talk for you! LEGION OF CHAOS!!!!!" yelled the small dog, pulling a small ruby from his pocket. Swinging at the stallion, a small gash opened on Mario's face. Recoiling in pain, he dropped the dog and brought a hoof to his cheek. "I'll gut you before you can even see the loyal pony !" Spot yelled, pouncing at his victim.

Feeling the dogs wet breath on him as he tried to defend himself from the sharp jewel, the plumber felt his strength slowly fall away from him. Suddenly visions of several ponies appeared in front of his eyes. First was a large, navy-blue winged unicorn, closely followed by a pair of earth ponies, the male in a suit and the female in a set of denim dungarees. After them was his current companions, then Luigi. All of them were sitting around him, cheering him on and chanting his name.
Dramatically, a huge surge of power rushed through the red earth ponies muscles. Throwing the aggressive diamond dogs away from him, he ran forward and headbutted him in the stomach. "The element. Now." he growled.

"I shall never falter with Discord on my si-AHdargh!" yelled Spot, as the enraged stallion crushed his paw. "In the crate next to the cage!" sobbed the dog as he cradled his paw.

Ignoring the whimpering puppy, Mario stormed towards the battle. Breathing a sigh of relief, he saw that only a few valiant dogs were still standing, the others knocked unconscious by the fury of a bunch of ponies, led by a whirling tornado of three fillies. Galloping towards the crate, he opened it up and saw a large envelope inside. Quickly tearing off the paper, he saw a blue pegasus mare with a rainbow mane sealed within the card. Pulling it out of the crate, he felt a pegasus land next to him. Ditzy had a black eye from the fight and was visibly roughed up from the fight. "That definitely looks like Rainbow Dash" said the pegasus, as the other ponies joined him by the crate. Walking near him, an older white stallion in a golden suit of armour.

"You're that Mario kid Luna is always on about, aren't you?" he asked in a gruff voice.

"Er, yes" replied the plumber, slightly scared of the giant in front of him.

"Get yer arse back to her then with the element then, we'll finish up down here."

Nodding, Big Macintosh picked up the card and placed it on his back, followed closely by Scootaloo. "Anyone know the way out?" he asked, leading the group out of the cavern, away from the protests of the captive dogs.

"I think it's just up this tunnel, straight ahead" said Applebloom, pointing towards the largest exit, surrounded by unconscious dig dogs.

"Thanks for the diversion by the way, kids. Also, who's the unicorn you found?" Mario asked the young earth filly.

"That's Sweetie Belle, and the third Cutie Mark Crusader!" shouted Scootaloo, who had dropped back a little bit, leaving Trixie alone with the farmer ahead of the group. "Hey girls, I wonder if we got our cutie marks in prison breaking?"

"Cutie mark whats?" asked Mario.

"Aww, no cutie mark on you Scoots" said Sweetie Belle. "But I think you have something on you, Applebloom!"

"Naw, that's just a bruise" replied the yellow pony.

"Cutie mark whats?" replied Mario, still confused.

"Hey mister, how did you get your mark?" asked the unicorn filly.

"I.... I don't remember" the plumber lied, trying to escape the crazed children.

"Of course you do. My big brother is older than you and he remembers his" said Applebloom.

"You don't even know my age" said Mario. He was younger than Big Macintosh, but he wasn't going to let the girls know that.

"I'm 25 and I know you're at least 3 years younger than me" said Ditzy, flying close to him. Upon seeing the red stallions mouth open to protest, she quickly said "I deliver your mail and talk to your brother. Of course I know your age and you aren't old enough to be forgetting things."

"So how did you get your mark then?" asked Scootaloo, nearly jumping on him.

"Well, it was a long time ago...." he said, starting his story.




"Mario, come down here please" said a motherly looking earth pony. Her fur was a pale pink and she was wearing a faded blue pair of dungarees. Running down the stairs came a small red colt wearing a similarly red cap.

"What is it mother?" he asked, in a squeaky voice.

"Your father has been called into Canterlot on important business, and my brother has fallen ill so I need to look after him in Trottingham. I need you to look after Luigi" she said, pointing at a baby in the cot. Remember, if anything goes wrong, I can't be back quickly so try to resolve it quickly" said his mother, kissing him on the head.

"I will" he said, watching his mother walking out of the door. Slowly trotting over to his younger brother, Mario put his front hooves on the side. Instantly, the green foal began crying. "Did you want some water?" the red pony asked, walking over to the kitchen. Upon turning on the tap, no water came out. Opening up the drawer underneath the sink, Mario grabbed a small wrench and begun to play around with the pipes.

"There" said the young pony, throwing his tool down. "One bottle of water" he said, carrying the drink to his brother. Looking back, the kitchen was in disarray, with water spilt everywhere and spanners strewn across the room. But on his flank, he saw a cutie mark forming, making the shape of a M on a white circle.





"Wait, what does your cutie mark have to do with plumbing?" asked Applebloom, walking alongside him.

"I don't know. Maybe it isn't for plumbing, but it's what I'm good at, so it must be" said the red stallion.

"While that story was lovely, we are nearly at Ponyville now so pay attention" spat Trixie from ahead. In front of them was a large, navy-blue dome sitting in the middle of the contorted earth, a dull beacon of hope.

"It looks like the Princess really did get the shield up!" cheerfully yelled Scootaloo.

"I still have no clue what is even going on" said Sweetie Belle.

"Well, we'll need to submit a report to Princess Luna, so I guess you can find out then" said Ditzy as several soldiers flew towards them to escort them into the safe zone.