• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 9,035 Views, 1,163 Comments

A Change In Fashion - Kevinltk



A changeling finds love in the world of fashion modeling.

  • ...
15
 1,163
 9,035

Chapter 25: Barriers

Glamour spent the following day doing little but lie in her bed, stewing in her regrets and shame in her changeling form as she recalled the previous night’s events. She had anticipated that Coco would be upset, but she had hoped that she would be able to get her lover to understand her actions, even if they were pretty dumb.

But Glamour was once again taught that her plans have a tendency to not go her way.

Before she could really begin to apologize and explain herself, the situation quickly spiraled out of control. Coco’s love for her, or rather the pony version of her, provoked her into a terrifying fit of anger. Glamour was so surprised to see that side of Coco, she was unable to do anything but babble apologies. She was glad that Twilight had intervened on her behalf.

While seeing Coco’s fury was indeed intimidating, it was not her rage that scared Glamour. It was the pain and confusion that she could see behind Coco’s anger.

Glamour knew that she had betrayed Coco’s trust, and she wished that she could go back and do a better job of easing Coco into the truth instead of having it suddenly overwhelm her all at once. But with no access to time travel magic, all Glamour could do now was wait and hope that Coco’s kindness and generosity would give her a second chance, even if she might not deserve it.

With no window or clock in her room, Glamour had no way of keeping track of the time, so she took advantage of Twilight’s offer and had asked the guards to simply tell her the time. After several requests, one of the guards ended up coming into her room, giving her a flat stare and a small clock. Glamour supposed that she might have overdone it after the twentieth or so request, but in her defense, the wait was making her antsy.

Not wanting to agitate the guards any more, Glamour quietly remained in bed and resumed her brooding.

Night time eventually came, and to Glamour’s disappointment, it looked like neither Twilight or Coco were coming, and she would have to spend another day in solitude. But just as she was about to get ready for another night filled with attempts of trying to sleep, there was a knock on the door.

Glamour quickly sat up as the door opened. Twilight marched in, and right behind the alicorn was Coco, who kept her gaze fixed to the floor.

“Coco? Princess Twilight?” Glamour asked, her eyes flicking back and forth between her visitors. “Did something happen?”

“We’ve finally decided what to do with you,” Twilight explained. “Based on my investigations of your time in Manehattan, my interactions with you, and your bravery during the Equestria Games, I have decided that you are not a threat to Equestria.”

Twilight paused to wave a wing at Coco. “Unfortunately, since your actions have also led to much emotional distress and confusion for Coco, I’m not sure if you should be able to continue seeing her.”

Despite seeing the truth and reasoning in Twilight’s words, Glamour immediately leapt off the bed to stare at the princess with an incredulous look. “What?! Please, Princess Twilight, I—”

“Let me finish,” Twilight interrupted with a raised hoof. “I was just considering it, Glamour. The Changeling Affairs Branch also does its best to help ponies that have been affected by changelings. Coco falls into that category, and the both of us must take her feelings and well-being into account.”

Glamour froze, and in her mind, she immediately cursed at herself for placing her own feelings above Coco’s… again. “I-I’m sorry. You’re right, Coco is most important here.”

“Which is why I asked Coco for her opinion on what we should do with you. It took a while, but she has finally made up her mind.”

Glamour glanced at Coco, seeing that the mare in question had still refused to look at anything but the floor. “A-and what did Coco say?”

“She has decided to take you into her custody, and I have approved it.”

Glamour could feel hope bubbling up in her chest. “Coco… Does… Does this mean you forgive me?”

“No…” Coco replied, to Glamour’s immense disappointment. With her eyes refusing to meet Glamour’s, she continued. “I… I still don’t know if I can trust you, Glamour. You betrayed and lied to me, but like you mentioned, you have also done some pretty amazing things for me, including saving my life. I just don’t know if you really did it out of love or that you are just trying to appease me to continue using me.”

“I do love you, I really do,” Glamour replied. “You have essentially given me a second chance, and that means all the world to me, because it means I might be able to make amends with you. Coco, I just want to be by your side, and I am going to prove to you that I love you.”

Coco sighed. “That might be more difficult than you think.”

Glamour flinched at the words, but she could sense why Coco said that. Coco’s love was almost nonexistent, with barely a trickle the only evidence left of what used to be there. It was like Coco had walled off her heart toward her. But Glamour was going to do her best to open it back up again, because she knew that if she failed, any chance of them getting back together would be lost forever.

And for Glamour, a life without Coco was not much of a life.

“There are a few more things,” Twilight began, bringing Glamour’s attention back to her. “While Coco has agreed to take you in, we will have to take some precautions to ensure her safety. That will take some more time for me to hammer out the details, and I’ll explain the process later on when I’m more prepared.

"Also, while I was investigating your activity in Manehattan, I found out your employers, Prim Hemline and Photo Finish, both attended the Equestria Games and were still in the Crystal Empire. I talked to them to find out more information about you, but I’m afraid, that in the process, I had to tell them who you really are. I’m sorry, Glamour, but even though they agreed to keep your secret for the time being, they have suspended your work with them until further notice.”

Glamour balked. Just as she was starting to get good at modeling, her career might be over. She would be more upset with that part if there was not a slightly more important issue on hoof. “S-suspended? W-wait, how am I going to feed myself? Without my modeling job, I don’t have an audience to get adoration from, and I’m most certainly not going to force Coco to give me love.”

“Don’t worry, that issue will also be covered in my plan,” Twilight replied. “Again, you’ll find out about it in due time. Anyway, if that is all, I’ll go finish the preparations so that we can get you two back to Manehattan in a day or so.” She paused and looked to Coco. “Unless you would like to stay and talk with Glamour some more.”

Coco shook her head. “No, Princess Twilight. I don’t.”

“Alright then.” Twilight nodded at Glamour. “Good night, Glamour,” she bade before exiting the room.

Coco followed, but as she placed her hoof on the door to close it, she paused. “Glamour?”

“Yes, Coco?”

Coco finally looked at Glamour. “Please don’t make me regret this.”

Before Glamour could respond, Coco closed the door. With Coco’s departing words still ringing clearly in her ears, she kept her gaze on the door. Even though Coco probably could not hear her, she made her vow.

“Don’t worry, Coco. I will do everything I can to make sure you won’t.”

Two days later, Glamour, Coco, and Grace were at the Crystal Empire’s train station, getting ready to board a direct train all the way to Manehattan.

Back in her pony form, Glamour concentrated on loading their luggage into the train as Coco and Grace said their farewells to the Elements. Even though the Elements were still pretty friendly to her, she noticed it was a lot more subdued than before her real identity was revealed. Applejack was the exception though, giving her the cold shoulder and being gruff with her. It was like the apple farmer wanted nothing to do with her.

While she was still pretty scared of the Elements, Glamour had actually started to warm up to them. She felt a pang of sorrow knowing that her budding friendship with them had pretty much been thrown into disarray, and that she had to leave before she could try to do a bit of mending.

Rarity had asked if Coco and Grace would like to come back to Ponyville with them to spend a bit more time together, but they had to turn her down. Grace had to return to work soon, and Coco said she needed to help make sure the theater was all ready for their upcoming season.

After some more hugs and goodbyes, Glamour, Coco, and Grace boarded the train and were on their way back to Manehattan.

Since there were still plenty of ponies going home from the Equestria Games, all the passenger cars were pretty crowded, but the three of them were able to get some seats in the corner of one of the rear cars.

Glamour let out an almost indiscernible sigh as she gazed at Coco and Grace seated on the bench across from her. Even though she knew Coco would choose not to sit with her, Glamour still felt a twinge of pain over the empty void that had formed between them.

Part of that empty feeling was because she could not sense any love from Coco, but it was not due to Coco not having anymore feelings toward her, although she would not be surprised if that was the case as well. It was because of what now hung from Coco’s neck.

Coco was wearing a new necklace with a turquoise crystal in the shape of a diamond and was roughly the size of a plum. Surrounding the diamond was a crystal hoop that had a green tinge on its white surface.

To the average pony, the necklace looked like a simple souvenir from the Crystal Empire, but Glamour knew what it really was when Princess Twilight presented it to her and Coco last night.

“Do you know what this is?” Twilight asked, holding a diamond with a white, crystalline hoop. A silver chain was attached to the top of the hoop and wrapped around Twilight’s hoof, allowing Glamour and Coco to get a good look at the jewelry.

“Um, it’s a pretty nice necklace,” Coco said, tilting her head slightly.

“It kind of reminds me of the Crystal Heart,” Glamour replied, staring at the turquoise diamond and recalling her visit with the magical artifact before the Equestria Games started.

“You’re not that far off, Glamour,” Twilight remarked. “This diamond and the Crystal Heart are made of the same type of crystal. Granted, the Crystal Heart came from a far more potent source. You see, Cadance and I have been working on this, and even though it’s still a work in progress, it will suffice for what I have in mind.

“Glamour, this type of crystal has an affinity with love magic, allowing it to hold a great deal of it. This diamond, when fully charged, can probably feed you for two or three months, assuming you’re careful with how much magic you use.”

“W-what? You mean I would not have to worry about having to feed?” Glamour asked, now staring at the diamond with widened eyes and newfound wonder. “This is amazing! This could revolutionize changeling life!”

Twilight sighed. “I wish that was the case, but unfortunately, it’s not that simple. Love magic, like love itself, is powerful yet unpredictable. Even Cadance, with her affinity with love, doesn’t understand all of its mysteries.

“When I said you would have to be careful with your magic, I meant it. If you limited yourself to just wearing your disguise and using your magic sparingly, then yes, the crystal can sustain you for quite a while. However, using more than that would drain it much faster. I’ve tested it with a few other changelings, and when they tried to use their magic normally, they ended up depleting it within a few days. As you can already guess, it’s not exactly a viable alternative for all changelings.”

Glamour frowned and slowly nodded in understanding. While those crystals might have potential for changelings, it was a poor substitute for the love derived from ponies. She was sure that more than a few changelings would not be happy if they had to always keep a close watch on their magic usage. It would severely limit their freedom and capabilities. But to Glamour, those limitations were just fine if it meant that she could go back to Manehattan with Coco.

“So, I’m guessing you want me to wear that necklace so that I don’t have to steal love from Coco or any other pony when I go back to Manehattan?” Glamour asked.

“You are partially right. You should be able to draw energy from it by just being in the same room. Coco will actually be the one who will wear it.”

“M-me?” Coco asked, pointing to herself.

“The diamond is not only meant to sustain Glamour. It’s also a battery.” Twilight sat on her haunches so that she could use her other forehoof to trace around the hoop. “This other part is meant for you, Coco. It’s been enchanted with two spells. The first will cancel any of Glamour’s spells if they are directed at you or if she attempts to cast something dangerous. The second spell will activate if you get scared when Glamour touches you. When that happens, the necklace will produce a miniature version of the love barrier that blew away the changelings during the Royal Wedding. In other words, it will knock Glamour away from you.”

“So this necklace will protect me from changelings?” Coco asked.

Twilight shook her head. “No, just Glamour.”

“Wait, wait, wait, are you serious? You made an anti-Glamour necklace?” Glamour asked with an incredulous look.

Twilight gave Glamour a flat stare. “Of course not. Have you noticed that I’ve been using my hooves instead of my magic to hold up this necklace? Those two spells are actually dormant right now, but they will turn on when they are exposed to somepony’s magic. That’s where you come in. You will activate the spells, and by doing so, they will record your magic signature, allowing them to react against you and only you.”

“So it’s going to be an anti-Glamour necklace.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Fine, it’s an anti-Glamour necklace, but that’s not its only purpose. It’s also going to be a test. The two spells only need a little magic to maintain themselves, however, as you can guess, they will use up a big chunk of magic from the diamond whenever they go off. When the diamond is low on magic, it will start to turn gray, and Coco will inform me about it. Basically, if I receive a letter from Coco too soon, I am going to assume you have either been threatening her or are unable to control your feeding urges. I will then have no choice but assume that you are a danger to Coco. Not only will you never be allowed to see her again, but there might be other forms of punishments depending on how severe your actions were.”

Glamour gulped. “A-and if I pass the test?”

“Then we’ll discuss some long term plans to allow you to live peacefully in Equestria.” Twilight looked to Coco. “Are you alright with all of this, Coco?”

Coco turned her head to Glamour, staring at her with uncertainty and fear. After a few moments and receiving a pleading look from Glamour, she took a breath and nodded. “That sounds fine to me, Princess Twilight.”

Twilight held out the necklace to Glamour. “Then that just leaves your consent, Glamour. If you accept, then just hold this in your magic.”

Glamour took a deep breath, nodded, and lit up her horn, taking the necklace from Twilight’s hoof in her green magic. After about a minute passed, Twilight took the necklace back, and the white crystal hoop now had a faint green color to it.

“There, it’s done,” Twilight said as she hoofed over the necklace to Coco. “You two are free to go back to Manehattan whenever you are ready. I hope everything works out between you two.”

As Glamour watched Coco put on the necklace, she sighed and replied, “I hope so too, Princess Twilight.”

The train ride back to Manehattan was long and awkward. Despite the other ponies sharing their car, Glamour, Coco, and Grace remained in their own little bubble of stifling silence in the corner.

Glamour noticed Grace paid little attention to anything but her and Coco. She knew that Grace was just making sure Coco was safe, but it still filled Glamour with even more dejection. Besides Coco, Grace was the only other real friend Glamour had, and it was driving her a bit crazy that she could not discern the stoic-faced secretary’s feelings toward her now that she knew she was a changeling. Glamour was sure of one thing though. Despite the sometimes annoying snark, she found herself missing the normally talkative, wisecracking Grace.

As for Coco, Glamour was doing her best to get Coco to warm up to her again, but it was met with little success. Ever since she told Coco everything, her former marefriend hardly looked at her and tried not to stand too close to her. Any attempt at starting a conversation with Coco quickly died from one word responses.

Eventually, they made it back home, despite the tense air that surrounded them the entire trip.

Without asking for permission, Grace ended up joining Glamour and Coco when they started heading back to their apartment. It did not take Glamour long after they started walking to notice that Coco was still giving her a wide berth and pretty much was pressing against Grace’s side. Disappointed as she was, Glamour conceded to playing it safe, and she silently elected to trail behind, allowing Coco and Grace to walk a bit more comfortably together.

When they finally arrived home in the early evening, Grace watched them go inside the apartment before finally breaking the silence. “Well, it’s been one crazy trip. I’ll see you two… whenever, I guess. But feel free to hit me up if there’s anything you need.”

Glamour was not sure if that last part was just meant for Coco or the both of them.

After wishing Grace a goodnight, Glamour closed the door and turned to look at her home. The apartment was pretty much how they left it, except for a few thin films of dust that had gathered up on some of the surfaces. As Glamour continued to look around, her ears flicked when she heard some rustling, and she turned her head to see that Coco had just dumped her bags on the floor and was heading for her room.

“Um, are you alright, Coco?” Glamour asked.

Coco paused, taking a moment to look down and bring a hoof to her necklace, before replying, “I’m… I’m just going to bed. I’m tired.”

“Oh, uh, alright then. Good night, Coco,” Glamour replied with an uneasy smile.

Coco did not even glance at her and just merely nodded before going into the room and shutting the door behind her.

Glamour let out a heavy sigh. Coco barely wanted to have anything to do with her, and it felt like her chances of getting back together with her were hanging by a thread. She tried to rationalize that it would take time before things could even begin to heal, but it did little to quell her aching heart.

With nothing to do, Glamour decided to call it an early night herself. She went into her room, letting her bags fall to the floor before flopping into her bed. It soon became apparent that sleep, once again, was going to elude her.

She was uncomfortable, and it was not due to missing the luxurious bed from the hotel suite. Home was someplace where she was supposed to feel safe and happy, but she felt none of those things. Until Coco started warming up to her again, Glamour knew that she was going to have to carefully think about every single word and action that came out of her. One wrong move could easily end in disaster.

She might finally be home again, and yet, it did not feel like she was.