• Published 12th Aug 2015
  • 2,958 Views, 128 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Dragon Quest - DiabloGuapo



Spike, the Mane Six, and their children face an insurmountable force; an army of dragons!

  • ...
4
 128
 2,958

A Grandfather's Gift

The streets of Fillydelphia were alive with the sounds of festivities. A procession of floats paraded down the streets of Dragon Town as confetti drifted in the evening breeze. The sidewalks were lined with ponies, yaks, Changelings, and the civilized dragons, all enjoying the celebration. One year had past and it was time again for the Draconic New Year Festival. But this year was different. Not only was it a celebration of the unity between ponies and dragons but also the anniversary of when these four races united to save their world from the threat of the Cult of Malroth.

Above the crowded streets, the Wonderbolts were putting on an exhilarating performance. They soar over the streets, contrails streaming behind them as fireworks accompanied their performance. Leading the team was Captain Rainbow Dash. Flying alongside her was Soarin and Thunderbolt. As promised, the three of them had an entire year to fly together as a team, but now it came down to this last performance. After this show, Soarin would retire.

Watching the aerial team was Posey and her parents. As Posey watched her coltfriend zoom overhead, her parents held the twins. Fluttershy was holding Apple Core, a yellow Earth Pony colt with a green mane, while Big Macintosh held Candy Apple, a pink Pegasus filly with a blonde mane. To everypony’s relief, Fluttershy delivered the twins without any complications and couldn’t be happier.

Also watching the Wonderbolts was Gilda and her hippogriff daughter, Grizelda. She and the other residence of Hawk’s Nest had also come to see the show. Ever since they were still youngsters, Rainbow Dash had always bragged that she was going to be a Wonderbolt one day, and Gilda was happy to see her friend living out her dream.

Gilda’s husband, Tenny Field, had went to get them drinks from a nearby vendor. On his way back, he thought he saw a familiar face in the crowd. On the other side of the parade procession, he saw a bubblegum pink Earth Pony mare with a mint green mane. Next to her was a red Pegasus mare with a blonde mane. The two mares were standing in the opening of an alleyway with a stallion who had a dazed look on his face.

“Renny?” he said upon seeing the red mare. “Renny!” he tried to call over the crowd. Though it would be impossible to hear him over the cheering crowd, the mare turned her head in his direction. As they made eye contact, he knew for sure it was his missing sister. Though something was wrong; her green eyes were glowing. She smiled with a predatory grin, revealing two fangs and a trickle of blood running down her lips.

A float passed between them, blocking Tenny’s view. When it moved on, the mares were gone, leaving a confused stallion alone in the alleyway holding his head as though he had a headache, red pinpricks on his neck. Tenny searched the crowd, but saw no sign of them. He then began to wonder if he was just seeing things.

“Hey, is everything alright?” he heard Gilda ask. Tenny took one last look, but saw nothing. Even the stallion was with a group of friends acting as though nothing had happened.

“Yeah. It’s nothing.” He then gave the drinks to Gilda and Grizelda.

Unconvinced, but deciding not to press the issue, Gilda said, “Alright.”

“Can I have some cupcakes?” Grizelda asked, pointing to nearby bake stand.

“Sure,” Tenny replied automatically, trying to forget what he thought he just saw.

Surprise was busy running the bake stand with her coltfriend, Sour Apple. Her little sister, Cherry Pie, had recently received her cutie mark for baking and proudly put her talent to use. Appropriately, it was of a cherry pie. Surprise handed the pies and cakes to an enthusiastic crowd of yaks. Cheese Sandwich was driving the Super Party Panzer 9000 in the parade while Pinkie Pie operated the cannon, showering the party goers with bursts of confetti.

Sour Apple was selling apple fritters, caramel apples, apple pie, apple crisps, apple cobblers, and good old fashioned apples. Apple Seed was with Cherry Pie, holding balloons and watching the parade. Apple Seed, like her best friend, had also received her cutie mark. Discovering her talent in the family business of apple farming, she now sported three apple seeds on her flank.

“C’mon on. Y’all go have a good time. Ah’ve got things here,” Applejack offered as she stepped in and took over the stand, encouraging her son to go and enjoy the festival with Surprise. Applejack smiled as she watched the young couple join the party. Sour Apple has come a long way; He’s dating a sweet young mare, he’s smiling more, and even talking more. Confronting his father gave him a sense of closure, finally allowing him to put the past behind him. Even Applejack was looking less stressed. The wrinkles around her eyes had smoothed and the color was starting to come back in her mane.

Midnight was watching the parade from the VIP booth. Adorning her head was a tiara of her own. She was sitting next to the other Alicorns of Equestria: her mother, Cadance, Flurry Heart, Celestia, and Luna. Also in the booth was Rutherford, Thorax, Shining Armor, Flash Sentry, Rarity, and Amethyst. At Rarity’s side was Spike. Due to their size, Spike and Dragon Lord Ember had their own specialized seats next to the booth. Standing guard at the entrances of the VIP section was Pharynx and the ever diligent Evening Star.

However, there was one seat that was vacant; the one reserved for the guest of honor. Amethyst looked at the empty seat and wondered if the guest would show. The festival had been going on for a few hours and still they hadn’t arrived. She was curious to see who it would be, as was everyone else, for their name wasn’t listed in the program. Ember was to be the guest of honor for the festival last year, but that never came to past. She originally thought that it would be Ember again but now wasn’t so sure.

Looking into the crowd, she could see Mina laughing and having a good time. Amethyst was happy for her and the other civilized dragons. As Celestia promised, things did improve for them. Fillydelphia had a new mayor, one that respected both the pony and dragon populations in the city. Mina was even give a place on the city council.

Amethyst then heard a gasp coming from the crowd. The parade was stopped and the music was silenced. Tapping Rarity’s shoulder, she whispered, “Mom, what’s going on?”

Another collective gasp came from the crowd, and it parted as a figure made its way to the VIP booth. The guards moved into position, ready to protect the royals of Equestria. Amethyst heard a wooden clank and then saw the Dragon King approaching.

"Oh... my," Fluttershy whimpered as she held Apple Core closer as the Dragon King passed by. He was in his smaller form, but that didn’t make the crowd any less nervous. Gilda in particular was glaring at him, remembering how his minions had destroyed her home. With a final stamp of his staff, the Dragon King came to a stop in front of the booth, surrounded by the smell of confectioneries and the gawking stares of the candy-colored equines. Inspecting his purple robes, he sneered with disdain as he brushed off some confetti that had landed on him.

Surprised, Spike rose from his seat and went to greet his father. He had been sending him letters over the past year, but Ryuo never responded. The last time they saw each other, his father had left without saying any parting words to him. Hearing his claim that he wanted nothing to do with the ponies of Equestria combined with the lack of correspondence led Spike to believe that Ryuo also lacked any interest in reconciliation.

“Father, what are you doing here?” Spike asked. Ryuo reached into his robes, procuring a scroll that bore the emblem of Celestia.

“I was wondering if you would come.” Hearing her speak, Spike moved out of the way as the Princess of the Sun walked down the stairs of the booth. Standing face to face with Ryuo, she greeted him with a smile. “I’m glad you decided to be a part of the celebration.”

“Whoa whoa whoa. You invited him?” Rainbow Dash asked as she and the other Wonderbolts floated back down.

“Of course. After all, he is the guest of honor.” This sparked a murmur of confusion among the crowd, everyone wondering why in the world would Celestia would bestow of all beings the King of all Dragons such an honor.

“I…” He paused, clearly having to swallow his pride in order to continue. “I have come to make peace.”

“What, really?” Spike was thrilled by the news, and the crowd again began to murmur, this time with amazement and hope. Equestria had made allies out of former enemies before, but the Dragon King had sworn to destroy Equestria since nearly its founding.

“I have spent great deal of time in meditation,” Ryuo explained. Then then looked to Twilight Sparkle. “And I came to realize that you had spoken the truth; my misery was my own doing.”

Addressing Celestia and Luna, he said, “According to dragon philosophy, ‘those who are too weak to defend their hoards are unworthy of it.’ I had thought you weak, and thus undeserving of the wealth your kingdom possessed. I was wrong; You bested me in combat. Yet as the Dragon King, I was too proud to admit defeat. For this, I apologize and acknowledge your rightful claim.”

Ryuo then did something he had never done before in his very long life; he bowed his head in respect. It was jarring for Spike to see Ryuo acting so humble.

“Thank you, Ryuo. I know this mustn't be easy for you,” Celestia said gratefully. “But you don’t bear the blame alone. No matter my reasons, I have caused you pain. I should have been honest with you concerning Xia’s death and gained your consent before taking Spike’s egg. For this, I also apologize and beg your forgiveness.”

Celestia then bowed in return, followed by Luna. Twilight, feeling partially responsible, also bowed. Afterall, she was the one that raised Spike.

“My son,” Ryuo said as he addressed Spike. “You also bested me in combat. You could have left me for dead, but you and your friends showed me mercy. Me, the one that threatened all you held dear. Any other dragon would have slain such an enemy, yet you had the strength to spare a life when I did not deserve it. Twilight Sparkle has raised you well.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” Twilight said, accepting the compliment.

“Dragon King Ryuo, as a token of good will, I offer you this gift,” Celestia announced, using her magic to levitate a long box from behind her seat on the booth. Presenting it to Ryuo, Celestia removed the lid. Reaching inside, Ryuo pulled out the Sword of Erdrick. “The orichalcum used to forge the blade came from the treasure hoard of your mother, Dragon Queen Xenlona. It’s only right that it is returned to you. I hope you accept it along with our friendship.”

As Ryuo held the sword, he humbly said, “Thank you, Princess Celestia. I accept this gift…” Everyone waited anxiously it see if he would accept the second part of Celestia’s offer. After sighing, he finally said, “... and I accept your friendship.”

“He said yes! He said yes!” Pinkie Pie cheered. “Let’s get this party back on track!”

The crowd erupted into cheers and the celebrating continued. The music resumed, and the parade starting moving again. As the masses went back to their partying, Ryuo just shook his head. “Ponies.”

He then found himself being hugged around the waist. Looking down, he saw it was his granddaughter. Spike and Rarity smiled at the adorable sight. Even Dragon Lord Ember looked amused, remember the first hug she ever received. Passing the sword to Ember, Ryuo smiled and patted Amethyst’s head. If befriending the pastel ponies meant more off this, then it was a fair trade.

“You all have given me so much,” Ryuo said as Amethyst released him from her embrace. “I wish I had something to give you.” As he contemplated, he looked at the faces of his family, gaze moving from Spike to Rarity and then to Amethyst. “Ah. I know.”

He reached out his clawed hand towards Amethyst, prompting her to ask, “What are you doing?”

“Fear not. Just remain still,” he reassured her. Trusting him, she held still as his claw rested upon her head. He then began to chant in the ancient language of the dragons. Her body was covered in the red glow of his magic and felt a tingling sensation throughout her body. But then it ended, and he removed his hand.

“What just happened? What did you do?” she asked, looking at herself but not noticing anything different.

“I cast the Dragovian Spell upon you. It allows Kirins, such as yourself, to master their dual nature,” Ryuo explained.

“W-What do you mean?” Amethyst had an idea of what he meant, but it was too amazing to be believed.

“You may now freely change between your two halves, becoming a pony or a dragon if you so desire.”

Everyone was astounded. The naturally inquisitive minds of Twilight and Midnight were filled with so many questions. Amethyst, however, just stood there with her mouth agape as she tried to process this new information.

She looked to her parents, but Rarity just said, “Well, go on. Give it a try, darling.”

Before their very eyes, Amethyst’s Kirin form changed. In its place was a white Unicorn. Amethyst looked down at her front legs to see hooves at the end of them. Her scales were gone, replaced by a silky coat. Reaching to her forehead, she found that her horn was still curved but no longer rugged like a dragon’s.

Then in another moment, the Unicorn was replaced by a teenage dragon. Amethyst stood up, wobbling for a moment before she adjusting to her new bipedal posture. Looking back down at her feet, she wiggled her new toes. Looking back, she saw that her cutie mark was still there. More importantly, she discovered she new had a pair of wings growing out of her back. Reaching up, she felt her horn was back to normal and that her mane was still there. However, the tuft of hair at the end of her tail was now a spade.

“This is incredible!” she marveled after changing back into a Kirin. “Thank you.”

“You are welcome, my child,” Ryuo told her.

“Where did a spell like that even come from?” Twilight inquired.

“Long ago, there used to be several clans of Kirins, one of them being the children of Aurum. Some formed their own societies, but there were some that could not endure being ostracized by their equine kin. And there were others who wished to live free as dragons. Therefore, the ancient Dragon Kings of yore created a spell that would allow the Kirins to chose their own destiny. ”

“So there could be more out there?” Amethyst asked, excited by thought of meeting others like herself.

“Perhaps,” Ryuo mused as he pondered the possibility. “There may be yet some who still dwell at Kirin Grove by the Lost Lagoon, though most have integrated themselves back into pony society. It is said that Unicorns with curved horns are of dragon blood. However, you remain the only first generation Kirin to exist in ages.”

Rarity recalled that Mistmane, her favorite legend and Pillar of Old Equestria, had a curved horn. In fact, the Unicorns of the east all had curved horns in the pre-classical era. However, the caretaker of Sable Spirit’s ancient palace gardens only had a slight curve to her horn.

“Oh, there’s so many questions!” Twilight squealed with delight, clapping her hooves together like an excited schoolfilly. “Imagine all that we can learn together!”

“I think that can wait for now,” Celestia chuckled. “For now, let’s enjoy the moment.”

“Then I shall take my leave. Enjoy your little party,” Ryuo said as he turned to depart.

“Nonsense. You can’t leave now. You’re the guest of honor!” Spike reminded him. Ryuo stopped and looked back at his son. As his pony family gathered beside him, Spike said, “I want you to stay. Besides… I would like to learn more about my birth mother.”

“It would be my pleasure,” Ryuo accepted. For the first time in centuries, Ryuo was at peace. He finally had what he truly wanted: a family.

From that day, Equestria would come under the protection of the Dragon Kings. Any malefactor who sought to bring destruction or oppression to the land would find themselves facing the combined might of the ponies and the dragons, united in harmony by familial bonds. They would also learn that the Dragon King takes offense when someone threatens his son’s home.

Through Amethyst, all future Royal Dragons would be born with the innate power to change between pony, Kirin, and dragon forms. Some would chose to be ponies. Some would chose to resurrect the ancient Kirin culture, embracing both halves of their natures. However, the heir would always take up the throne of the Dragon King for the power of the dragons could not be left unchecked.

As for Spike, he had rediscovered his secret past, reconnected with the father he never knew he had, and saved the world alongside his family from the forces of Tartarus. From his mother, Twilight Sparkle, he had learned the values of friendship, generosity, honesty, laughter, kindness, and loyalty. From his father, he would also learn of Xia, Aurum, and the history of his race. Spike would carry the lessons had learned for the rest of his life and would pass them onto his heirs and his friends’ descendants for generations to come.

And thus the tale comes to an end…

Comments ( 14 )

Thank you all for joining me on this journey. It's been over four years but the Legend of Spike series has finally been completed.

A fine story excellently told; these stories have really set the bar on adventure stories with spike. I think these tales are amongst my favourites ever. It been fun reading.

8493998
Best Story of all time i must say it really was worth every line you did it well i hoped this would be good and it was

though i do wish something had some of renny and tenny just a little

8494323
totally agree with this

This really is the end well best put heart lifting yet sad ass music on

8494323
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
8494937
Best story of all time? Oh, I don't know about that, but thank you. As for Renny, that was just nod to LoS: Dracula. A reminder that "Lady Crimson" is still out there. Though the Legend of Spike is done, I left that loose end just in case if I ever decide to do a follow up side story.

I don't know why i did but I got a land before time type vibe out of those last few words

8495190
I love that movie. The Land Before Time series really should have ended there with that perfect closing narration. I guess I was subconsciously inspired by that scene.
The last line is part of the last bit of text before the credits of the US version of Dragon Quest 1 (a.k.a. Dragon Warrior): "And thus the tale comes to an end... unless the dragons return again." Simple, yet ominous.

8495311

I love that movie.

Same here and according to my parents I wore out several VHSs when I was young....

The Land Before Time series really should have ended there with that perfect closing narration. 

No kidding... though some of the early sequels are passable... for direct to video sequels (if you ignore the singing, but only if you ignore them...)

8495117
Well that is good too hear about Lady Crimson/Renny i had hope something would come of it. To be honest i think it's the best story series i've read on Fimfiction of course i have fave solo stories but this has been the best overarching story

So proud you've finished this :yay:. I LOVE AU and next gen fics and this was some of the best of both. This series (specifically Dracula, my favorite of the original trilogy) was some of the first Fimfiction and Sparity stories I read. So glad to have been on this journey with my favorite character as he matures so much. Hope to see stories with "Lady Crimson" soon. Good luck with life. :pinkiehappy:

8495311
What stories are you going to do now that the Legend of Spike series is done?

8558042
I have no idea. After investing so much time and energy into one series, I don't know what to do with myself now that it's over.

10110818
So that means Godzilla is still the king. and he Dwarfs them all.

Login or register to comment