• Published 5th Sep 2015
  • 424 Views, 12 Comments

Consorting Strength - Holocron



Bucephalus goes on a journey in order to learn what true strength is.

  • ...
2
 12
 424

Being gentle is its own strength

After narrowly escaping from the Harpies and their master, Bucephalus, with a wounded Rainbow Dash on his back galloped to Ponyville as fast as his strong hooves can carry. Within several long minutes, Bucephalus was able to make it back to Ponyville, thankful that no Harpies followed them, though that didn't ease Bucephalus' mind either. The Harpies would need to be dealt with, but Rainbow Dash needed medical attention first. Not knowing where the local doctor could be, Bucephalus galloped at full speed to the Castle of Friendship. Once through the doors, Bucephalus was met by Twilight and Applejack. Without explanation, Bucephalus was able to get Rainbow Dash into a bed for recovery. As Rainbow Dash rested, Bucephalus told what happened, and neither Twilight or Applejack were happy,

"How could let her get like this?!" Twilight snapped at Bucephalus as he stood, his posture was strong and rigid, despite the many injuries on his body.

"My apologies." Bucephalus spoke up. "If I had known she brought such a number of her flock-"

"If you've known, you should have waited for us to get a much bigger group, not just run off with Rainbow!" Applejack snapped, looking at how hurt Rainbow was.

"She is a proud warrior who fought against creatures foreign from this land." Bucephalus said taking a step forward to almost pat Rainbow's head. "She is strong enough to survive-"

"Don't you dare touch her!" Applejack interrupted, smacking Bucephalus' hoof way. "You have done far too much and caused way too much damage! Why you just go back where-"

The sound of the castle door slamming open silenced the room. In the doorway was the mare Pinkie Pie, but besides her were two more mares Bucephalus had not met. The first was a white coated Unicorn mare with a rather styled looking purple mane and tail. The way her face looked a mixture of both sophistication and almost allure, made Bucephalus ponder if this mare was a noble, or at the very least a courtesan. The second mare was a shy looking yellow Pegasus that hid part of her face behind her long pink mane. This mare looked closer to a servant mare than anything.

"We came as soon as you told us about those Harpy thingys." Pinkie said, before seeing Rainbow Dash in the bed. "Ohmygosh! Rainbow." Faster than a pony could blink, Pinkie was already at Rainbow's side; even Bucephalus didn't see Pinkie move and yet she somehow got across the room with ease. "Are you alright Dashie? Is she going to be alright Bucey?"

"She will recover with treatment." Bucephalus stated. "But we must gather our forces and strike at those beasts before Erinyes can escape from the cave and prey on this town."

"That won't be necessary great Bucephalus." Called a voice from the entrance way. Standing at the doorway, covered in blood, cuts, and torn clothes; as well as being supported by two guards, was Antenor.

"Princess." One guard commented. "We found him on the edge of town, he was injured but said he had information of a possible threat."

"Get him to the bed." Twilight ordered, directing the guards to the neighboring room.

"No!" Bucephalus said, his voice both of anger and a heavy tone. His steps as he approached the guards nearly shook the castle from the force. "You, I know you. Antenor, son of Senator Troy. What brings you to this country?" Bucephalus' body tensed into an attack mode, his muscles ready to crush Antenor under him. "What brings a Senator's son here? Could you have followed me? Has the Senate decided to bring an Assassin?!"

"Nothing of the sort Bucephalus." Antenor replied, coughing from his injuries. "I can explain everything when my wounds are tended. But I must say this, Erinyes is dead. I am sorry to have robbed you of your kill. But I saw her weakened, and took my chance. Her reign and threat are over now. Thanks....to...us..." Antenor passed into unconsciousness before he could finish.

"Guards, take him to the other room and get a doctor as fast as you can!" Twilight ordered, to which the guards nodded and carried Antenor away. Whether it was Antenor's intention or not, his interruption gave Twilight the seconds she needed to calm a little and think more clearly. "Rainbow will recover, and whatever this threat was, is not over. Bucephalus, I apologize for my outburst."

"No, you are right." Bucephalus said, bowing his head in shame. "I let my feelings and memories of Erinyes drive my hatred rather than my mind. It was a mistake that nearly cost Rainbow Dash her life and I can never be forgiven for such a reckless choice."

"You're wrong." Fluttershy's voice responded, looking over Rainbow Dash and giving Rarity some bandages to patch Rainbow up. "I mean, well you did get Rainbow hurt, but you did it because you wanted to help Ponyville."

"She's right darling." Rarity responded, using her magic to wrap Rainbow's wounds in gauzes. "So long as you can learn, you can always do better."

"With respect, some things, no matter how noble can be forgiven when they cause more pain." Bucephalus countered Rarity's response. "I have lost all progress I have made to learn, i am of no use to my country, or my king."

"For now, you should lay in bed too." Rarity commented, floating some gauzes towards Bucephalus. "You are cut up as well you know."


Bucephalus lay in the bed, next to the one that Rainbow rested in. The others had left an hour ago, to speak with Antenor no doubt. Bucephalus' mind wandered to what had just happened. How could this happen? Worse yet, Harpies were not the most deadly creatures from Manedonia, so if they could reach here, why not a Chimera, a Manticore, or even a Hydra? After several endless minutes of pondering, a noise sounded from Rainbow's direction. Looking over, Bucephalus saw Rainbow's eyes slowly open.

"You've returned to us." Bucephalus responded, his tone was monotone, but to him, it was the sound of praise. "Your friends were worried about you."

"Yeah, I bet they did." Rainbow chuckled, looking her body over. "I really pushed myself didn't I?"

"You fought with honor, like no warrior I have ever met in this country." Bucephalus praised Rainbow's bravery. "There is much pride in your skill, and you have the courage of one worthy of respect."

"Careful there. Don't get me too cocky." Rainbow laughed a little. "Being too cocky throws off your game."

"Pride in a skill is no shame." Bucephalus said in a confused tone. "Should what you call "cocky" only drive you further and better?"

"You'd think so, but there are sometime where that's not the case." Rainbow commented. "I used to be cocky, like real cocky. I thought I was the greatest thing in all of Equestria. I started showing off, almost putting ponies in danger just so I could "save" them."

"Such arrogance must've led you to a painful conclusion?" Bucephalus asked, wishing to hear more, as he could do nothing other than sit and listen.

"Yeah, thank Celestia my friends helped me." Rainbow finished her story. "They all disguised themselves as a masked hero, saving ponies faster than I could and working to help, rather than show off. I learned that if you have too much skill in something, you can become cocky. And that cockiness can only lead to failing and worse case, it could hurt those around you."

"I can believe that. But you learned and grown have you not?" Bucephalus asked.

"I have. But there are others." Rainbow remember another arrogant pony she knew. "A couple years back, there was this Unicorn showmare named Trixie. She seemed harmless, only showing off magic like some cheap trick and boasting as the "great and powerful Trixie". It all came crashing down when some crazy fans of hers brought an Ursa Minor for her to fight, only to reveal she was a fraud."

"Sounds more like she nuisance." Bucephalus chuckled, sure that Twilight was most likely the one who defeated whatever an Ursa Minor was in Rainbow's story. "Was she at least grateful somepony defeated the creature?"

"The exact opposite." Rainbow laughed a bit. "She fled Ponyville and vowed revenge against Twilight. She even came back a few months later; after buying some magic amulet to make her too strong for Twilight to handle."

"That sounds as impressive as it is dangerous." Bucephalus replied, thinking as to how a Unicorn could defeat an Alicorn like Twilight, unaware that Twilight was a Unicorn at the time. "But she was defeated."

"She was. Twilight beat her." Rainbow replied, finishing the story. "Twilight was able to out think Trixie, making Trixie believe that she had a better amulet and by outsmarting her, Twilight was able to get the amulet from Trixie. So like I said, getting too cocky can make you sloppy, and in one swoop, you can lose everything."

"No words can be wiser than that of a wounded warrior." Bucephalus replied in gratitude. "Thank you Rainbow Dash, you have given me a new perspective. And I shall not waste this chance to listen and learn."


After several more hours, Bucephalus had drifted off to sleep, only to awaken to the feeling of another presence in the room. His instincts took over and he leapt from his bed. But just before Bucephalus could strike his would be assailant, he stopped, it was just a surprised Rarity.

"Oh, it is you." Bucephalus said, jumping from his bed and bowing to the shocked mare. "My apologies, I am not accustomed to resting with so little knowledge of my surroundings, I hope I did not frighten you."

"Just a small startle darling." Rarity commented. "I was just hear for a chat."

"A chat?" Bucephalus asked, looking around and seeing that it was only himself and Rarity alone in the room. "Where is Rainbow Dash?"

"She woke up an hour or so ago, and is with the others now." Rarity answered.

"She is stronger than I thought." Bucephalus commented. "But I must see to Antenor, I must question his motives behind his actions."

"I'm sure he probably came to help you." Rarity commented. "You seem familiar with each other."

"I have only heard of him." Bucephalus replied. "But I do not trust him. He is a Senator's son and like his father, he stands in my quest to find true strength."

"Sounds more like this quest is your obsession." Rarity commented, then her words turned to that of a question. "I never really introduced myself, my name is Rarity, and you are Bucephalus I believe correct? Well if you don't mind me asking, what is this journey of yours?"

"I am, or was to be the king's consort. But those spineless Senators voted against it, and worse yet, mock both me and my honor by calling me liability to the country of all things." Bucephalus said in anger. "Antenor's presence here only confirms my suspicions that the Senate would try and stop me."

"Isn't that a little extreme?" Rarity asked. "Maybe he is here to help?"

"Yes, help his dagger into my side." Bucephalus rudely commented. "Nothing good can come of him here. Once I am done questioning him, I will send him home to his father with news of my success."

"Success?" Rarity asked. "Didn't you just say you're still on the journey?"

"By the time he returns, I will have found success. So there is no falsities in my words." Bucephalus replied with an almost smug look.

"What does a King's consort do? If you don't mind me asking." Rarity asked, hoping to change the subject.

"I am to advise the King, speak with him of public and important matters, and if necessary, inform him of any traitors to the throne." Bucephalus proudly explained.

"That last part, "inform him of any traitors to the throne". How will you know?" Rarity asked.

"Those who are guilty." Bucephalus responded.

"But who determines guilt?" Rarity continued her questions, her mind and words seem to be going somewhere with this discussion.

"I would of course." Bucephalus responded. "I am a loyal citizen of Manedonia and to King Alexander, I would never do wrong to my king and or country."

"But you also just said you had issues with the Senate, or enough where a Senator's son gets you angry with him just being near you." Rarity continued her words. "What if you were to say, remove a Senator you disagree with, could you really say the temptation has not crossed your mind?"

"It has." Bucephalus admitted. "But that does not mean I would act on it."

"I thought the same thing too once." Rarity replied, telling her own story of how she fell into temptation. "A few short months ago, my dear friend Spike saw I wasn't feeling quite like my happy, confidant self, so he went to the Alicorn Sister Castle in the Everfree Forest and got me a book of forbidden knowledge. One of the spells contained was one that allowed me to turn anything I wanted into anything. At first, I did some small changes, mostly to improve my work load and also help out the ponies in town for a festival we were having that same day. But the more and more I used the spell, the more I was less about really helping, and more changing the town to how I wanted it to be." Rarity saw that Bucephalus was not fully understanding where she was going with this. "My point is, you should be aware of what temptation the job you want can give you. And also that your King can also become tempted to do things he normally wouldn't do. Maybe as you advise him, let him advice you. Both of you can keep the other honest."

"I was already planning on it." Bucephalus commented, but still grateful for Rarity's words. "I thank you for what you have said though and will take them to heart."

"My pleasure." Rarity smiled but looked at the nearby clock. "Oh dear is that the time. I have to head home. I have a work to do."


After his conversation with Rarity, Bucephalus left the room, following the crystal covered halls back to the throne room. But on his way there, the shy Pegasus, Fluttershy was walking in the opposite direction. Bucephalus stopped, and Fluttershy stopped as well. Given the change to look her over Bucephalus thought that this mare had to be some sort of servant, yet she had some strength buried within her.

"You're Fluttershy, correct?" Bucephalus asked. "I was told you helped treat my wounds. “Thank you for the treatment, though I could've endured, the thought and gesture was still kind of you."

"You're welcome." Fluttershy replied, her tone not as intimidated by Bucephalus' size. "I still felt you needed help, and thank you for saving Rainbow Dash. She was telling Twilight and the other of what happened and we're all very thankful you got her out of there alive."

"A true warrior never leaves a wounded ally behind." Bucephalus smiled softly as he showed compassion and softness for the first time to another. Compared to Bucephalus, Fluttershy was tiny, she looked as fragile as air, almost as if Bucephalus' sneeze could do her harm. "Though, I am curious. You are a servant here correct?"

"What, no...I mean...well...it probably looks like it huh." Fluttershy responded with a small eep. "Well actually I'm friends with Twilight and the others. But I guess since I'm so timid it looks like I work for them."

"My apologies, I did not-" Bucephalus' words were halted by the slow shaking of Fluttershy's head.

"It’s okay. I know I'm not as brave or strong as Twilight, Applejack, or Rainbow Dash. Or even as confident as Rarity or Pinkie." Fluttershy commented. "I've always been rather timid."

"If you know this, then why not seek a way to be more assertive?" Bucephalus asked.

"I tried that once. I turned into a monster, a pony who was rude and mean to others just to get my way." Fluttershy smiled sadly at the memory, then her smile turned soft and kind. "I have my friends who help me, and I help them. If they ever get in danger, I can be there to help in any way I can."

"You have the makings of a great warrior in you." Bucephalus commented, placing his large hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder. "So long as you are there for your friends, and they for you, I'm certain you can even face a dragon."

Fluttershy only giggled at the thought, remembering the time she actually faced down a dragon years ago with her friends. But she smiled in gratitude, taking the compliment before letting Bucephalus resume his trip to the throne room. After a minute of walking, Bucephalus reached the throne room, within was Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie sitting in their appropriate seats.

"I am sorry for my previous display." Bucephalus expressed, then looked at Rainbow Dash, who still had some bandages on her wings and arms. "I do hope you have recovered well."

"Yeah, I'll be flying again in no time." Rainbow chuckled. "It takes more than as few bird things to keep this Pegasus down."

"But now to the task at hoof." Twilight commented. "While you rested, we have learned that this Antenor had not only killed this Erinyes, he was able to tell us that the Harpies that survived have fled and flew back to their home in Manedonia."

'Why would they flee?' Bucephalus thought but moved on. "Twilight, you should not let them flee, call down the winds, the thunder, vanquish the beasts so they can never be a threat."

"I-I can't control the weather." Twilight answered. "Even if I could, I don't think it's necessary. They're leaving, there's no need to attack them now."

"And show they return?" Bucephalus snapped. "We should use the power we have to slay them while they flee!"

"No!" Twilight's outburst shook the room before she immediately calmed down. "Bucephalus, please understand. Just because I could do something, and only because I have the power to do so, doesn't mean I should." Twilight took a deep breath before continuing. "Not long after I became an Alicorn, a monster named Tirek, came from Tartarus itself, and was devouring all the magic in Equestria. The other Princesses gave me their magic to prevent Tirek from getting it." Bucephalus' eyes widened slightly at the thought of the gods of his home giving their power to a single god. Such a concept was beyond his understanding. "I fought Tirek, it was a battle I was not ready for, and I fought with everything I could. The combined magic of four Alicorns was only just enough to match Tirek's power. And in that fight, I realized something. I was scared. Not of Tirek, but of myself. The land was torn by our battle. Natural features destroyed and can never be fully healed." Twilight could see that Bucephalus' face said it all, he understood.

"You're still afraid." Bucephalus stated. "Even after the battle. You were still afraid of the power you held; what you still have now?"

"Yes." Twilight replied. "After Tirek was defeated and returned to Tartarus, I gave the Princesses their magic but I still felt like I had all this power. Power that could easily drive me down the wrong path." Twilight then looked to her smiling friends. "If it wasn't for my friends, i wouldn't know what to do."

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Bucephalus quoted, feeling a heaviness in her chest. 'As the King's Consort, the power I could wield...will it corrupt me? Will it corrupt Alexander?'

"Just because we have the power to do something. Doesn't mean we should use it to hurt when there are other options." Twilight said, her voice and words resonating in Bucephalus' ears and mind. "For now, we should-"

"PRINCESS!!" A guard shouted, bursting into the room. "That pony Antenor is gone! And he's taken Fluttershy!"

"What?!" Everypony in the room gasped.

"He left a note." The guard said, before Bucephalus grabbed it.

Your skills have grown soft. Your weakness has allowed me to take an innocent with me. She in unharmed and will remain so, so long as you do as told. I will wait in the neighboring forest. Find me and we shall settle your pointless quest once and for all.

Come alone,

Antenor

"We have to get her back!" Rainbow slammed her hoof on the table, ready to take off.

"Wait." Bucephalus stopped the Pegasus from flying off. "Fluttershy is unharmed, we cannot allow her to come in harm. This is a hostage situation. Rushing in risks Fluttershy's life. I will go after Antenor...alone."