• Published 5th Sep 2015
  • 423 Views, 12 Comments

Consorting Strength - Holocron



Bucephalus goes on a journey in order to learn what true strength is.

  • ...
2
 12
 423

Docking on weakness

"I am to do WHAT!?" The large earth stallion stood before a council of older looking earth ponies, both mare and stallions.

"That is correct Bucephalus." An elderly looking, hooded stallion answered. "You are not ready to assist the throne. You are lacking in something."

"Lacking? LACKING?!" The stallion raged. "I am lacking nothing! I am the strongest in the kingdom!"

"Our decision is final Bucephalus!" Another councilor raised her voice. "Now leave our sight before you shame yourself more than you have already."

Not even in sleep could Bucephalus find peace. Waking up on the small boat he brought with him, the large tan brown stallion got up from his silken bed. Using his large hooves to move his long, saggy black mane from his eyes, Bucephalus expressed great disdain for the morning; hoping that everything was a dream, yet realized the truth when he awoke. Seeing no joy in going back to sleep, Bucephalus slowly got out of bed and went above deck to see where his ship has brought him. Looking around, he saw that this strange land was much different from his native Manedonia.

"Dammit Helestia." Bucephalus cursed aloud. "Why would she claim this land would give me what I seek? It already appears to be disappointing." Upon seeing that there were no ports, and the only visible civilization was a massive cloud city with bright lights called Las Pegasus, Bucephalus sighed in annoyance, which was only mildly relieved when he saw the mouth of a river nearby, just big enough for his personal craft to sail through. "The river it is."

For the next couple days, Bucephalus sailed down this river; going slightly North-Eastern in direction along its banks. His opinion of the land changed very little. The only solace he developed along this river was how the land was beginning to look similar to his homeland. The vast grass meadows, the mountains in the distance, and how open and endless the sky seems brought Bucephalus's thoughts back to his mission.

"I'm lacking they said, why the nerve of that council!" Bucephalus paced back and forth in frustration.

Manedonia was a vast country to the far east of Equestria. Its inhabitants were mostly Earth ponies with few Pegasus and even less Unicorns. So strength was everything. And Bucephalus was regarded as the strongest in his tribe, maybe even the country itself. When the former king passed on, his son Alexander ascended to the throne. As colt hood friends, Bucephalus was set to become the new king's advisor and trusted ally. But the Manedonia Tribunal, the secondary political power in the country under the king, was not convinced that Bucephalus was suited for such a role. So they refused his attempt to become the king's advisor.

After his current failed attempt to prove the Tribunal wrong, Bucephalus was at his wit's end. Only one pony, aside from Alexander could brave Bucephalus anger. Helestia, Alexander's mother; despite her age, the pale white earth mare was still as beautiful as she was in her youth. Her ebony black mane was the envy of most mares in Manedonia, and her practical wisdom was well respected by even the Tribunal even to the point where she received her open mouth mask cutie mark for her rhetoric and practical wisdom.

"Now my dear Bucephalus." Helestia counseled the angry stallion. "The Tribunal is not always right but not always wrong. Look at what they mean when they speak to you."

"What they say?" Bucephalus did not always understand Helestia's words. "They called me weak and unfit to serve Alexander. What hidden meaning is behind their words?"

"Weakness is not always that of the physical, or even mystical Bucephalus." Helestia placed her gentle hoof on Bucephalus shoulder. "You are strong, but not wise. Would you be able to serve Alexander and Manedonia with a limited mind?"

"...no..." Bucephalus growled a bit, admitting she was right. "But what can I do to become stronger then?"

"I will give you my personal ship, you must sail in the direction of the rising Sun." Helestia offered her guidance. "From there you will travel until you find a pony who can show you what true strength is."

"That's it?! That could take an eternity!" Bucephalus objected.

"That is all I can give." Helestia told the still angered stallion. "You know I can only give guidance, not hand over the lesson."

"For over sixty days I have sailed and sailed. And not a single pony i have met would give me anything even remotely close to strength/" Bucephalus paced back and forth along the deck of the small vessel. Soon enough, however, Bucephalus saw that the river was soon to reach a small town. An upcoming sign read 'Ponyville'. Bucephalus only sighed. "Ponyville eh. I do not know what strength you think I may find Helestia. But I will continue to look if that is what I must do."

Docking his ship on a small shoreline that bordered near the outskirts of the small town, Bucephalus sighed in frustration at this new destination. From what he noticed, this town, this Ponyville looked like some weak backwater that bordered a forest and rested at the base of a mountain. A small reminder of home, but that's all Bucephalus showed care over the town. Taking a deep breath, Bucephalus loaded a saddle bag with some supplies and coin he could barter or trade to restock his ship. He didn't plan to stay too long. There was no possible way strength existed in such a small town.

When he finally entered the town, Bucephalus was surprised to see how small the resident ponies were compared to him. He was almost twice the size of any of the stallions, let alone the mares. This was definitely going to be a quick stop. Thankfully, the ponies simply moved out of his way and didn't talk to him. So at least this Podunk town recognized strength when they saw it and treated it with the proper respect. All he had to do was sell and trade and be on his way.

As he turned a corner, Bucephalus felt something small and fluffy bump into him. Looking down to see what was in his way was a pink Earth mare with the puffiest mane and tail Bucephalus ever seen. As she backed away a little, Bucephalus was prepared to hear this small thing apologize for being in his way.

"OhheyhowareyouIneversawyouaroundherebeforeareyounew???!!!" The pink mare let out spew after spew of some high pitch babbling. Bucephalus was ready to cover his ears to block out such an annoying sound. "Oh! You’reabigone! Whereyoufrom? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

"SILENCE small creature!" Bucephalus raised his deep voice at the annoying pony before him. "Who are you to waste my valued time with your inane babble?"

"Oh I'm sorry." The mare giggled, completely unfazed by Bucephalus uproar. "My name's Pinkie Pie. What's your name?"

"If it will silence you. I am Bucephalus, soon to be consort and advisor to King Alexander of Manedonia." Bucephalus declared, his tone was filled with pride and determination.

"Hmmm I'll call you Bucey!" Pinkie smiled.

"I will not be called such a ridiculousness word." Bucephalus responded. "I have earned my name of Bucephalus and I shall be called such!"

"Oh sorry Bucey-Buceph-Bucephealias?" Pinkie apologized, though she failed at every attempt to pronounce Bucephalus's name. "But anyway! What brings you to Ponyville?"

"Ugh." Bucephalus sighed, it would take the patience of the gods to deal with this mare. "If it will get you to leave, I am on a journey."

"Oh!!! A journey!" Pinkie bounced up and down around the large stallion. "What kinda journey? What are you looking for?"

"If you must know, I am looking for strength." Bucephalus explained. "The form of strength that would greatly serve my King."

"Strength?" Pinkie titled her head in confusion, then an idea sparked in her head. "I know some pony who's strong."

Bucephalus's ear perked a little at the comment. "If this is true, bring me to him."

"Well it's more of a ‘her’." Pinkie said, grabbing Bucephalus, almost dragging him; though he soon started to follow. "But she's super strong."

'A mare who's considered strong?' Bucephalus thought. He was not against the idea of a mare being strong or displaying strength, but generally the strongest in a town was a stallion. Perhaps it was curiosity, or possibly some unknown feeling, but Bucephalus decided to entertain this Pinkie Pie's suggestion.