• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 511 Views, 2 Comments

Bucking My Feelings Away - SterlingC



Carrot Cake gets the chance of his life to tell Cup Cake how he feels about her. But things turn wacky when a weasel requests his aid for his own date...

  • ...
 2
 511

Bucking my Feelings Away

Bucking my Feelings Away: A Cakes Fanfic

I, Carrot Cake, have always had a passion and a knack for baking cakes. I learned my skills and trades from my dad, who had his trademark in all kinds of deserts. It’s because of my dad that I’ve been given a cutie mark for baking cakes! I’m even considered the best baker in all Ponyville… Well… there is one exception. There is a Cup Cake, so to speak. There’s no one like her in baking. Not only does she make cakes better than I do, she can even make cupcakes and muffins of all kinds! Carrot cupcakes, caramel cupcakes, chocolate chip cupcakes, and even rocky mountain cupcakes… All her deserts are so delicious, that my mouth waters just when I hear the words, “Cup Cake’s been making more cupcakes!”

She and I have only managed to talk every now and then for about 6 months now. But my feelings for her have soared to the sky. She’s taught me how to bake cupcakes like her and giggled every time I stumbled through some of the steps in her recipes. It’s so strange… it’s not that her recipes are hard to perform. I guess it’s just from me being so nervous around her. I also love how her mane’s fluffy as a cupcake icing… it complements her really well, even if the other ponies make fun of her for it.

To be honest, I don’t really know why she’s been so open to sharing her recipes with me. She even let me share some of my recipes to her since she thought I was “the best baker in Ponyville… perhaps all Equestria…” What she said left me blushing… my cakes weren’t anywhere near as tasty and exuberating as hers was, and yet she thought I was the best baker.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to tell Cup Cake how I felt about her. She’s such an amazing mare, and she needed somepony like me to tell it to her. The other ponies keep making fun of her because she looks chubby and because she doesn’t hang out with many colts. I couldn’t bear to see her getting teased… They don’t see how amazing she is on the inside! That’s why I asked her to meet with me tonight outside the school, which she agreed to do with a warm smile. The stage was set, and I had to get things ready…


It was a bright day when I walked out of the school grounds for lunch. I decided to walk along a pathway that led towards the nearby park. I found a bench where I could lie down and enjoy the trees by the park to my left and the school grounds to my right. Directly in front of me was a small yet tranquil lake. I still couldn’t believe that such a wonderfully quiet spot existed. It was the perfect spot for me to finally tell Cup Cake how I feel about her.

I sat down on the bench and took some deep breaths to enjoy the fresh air. As soon as I took those deep breaths, the calmness in my heart left me… How was Cup Cake going to react to what I’m about to tell her tonight? Why was she so willing to accept my invitation to talk with her after school? I know she’s a shy mare who doesn’t have many friends, whether mare or stallion. I also recalled how some of the more popular mares teased her for being so stallion-shy and having a quirky mane. It wasn’t fair of the popular mares to say that to her… I wanted to tell them that they were wrong, but I was too scared… Cup Cake’s a lovely mare, and none of the popular ponies were giving her a chance to show that.

What if she runs away after I tell her how I feel? What if she noticed how I didn’t stand up for her against the popular mares in the past?! Worst of all, what if she just saw me as a friend? What if I lost the friendship just by telling her how I feel?! I really enjoyed her teaching me, and I even managed to make her giggle a few times! I’ve never made a mare giggle before, and seeing her giggle always puts me in Cloud Nine! I even made some oatmeal cupcakes for tonight, just so I could show how much I learned from her and appreciated every moment she taught me. They don’t look anywhere near as fantastic as her cupcakes, but I tried… I hope she appreciates that.

My mind was still in a flurry thinking about Cup Cake as I opened my lunch bag and began to munch on my classic carrot cake. Just as I was about to keep munching on the carrot cake, a round-faced, pink weasel suddenly jumped out of the ground in front of me! It screamed at me after seeing my presence, and in response, I jumped in fright! I looked down towards the weasel, wondering what it was doing there, but before I could ask, it began talking!

“Hey you silly stallion! What in Equestria are YOU doing at MY dating place?!” The weasel asked angrily with his high-pitched voice. I didn’t know where to begin with my response. It was bad enough that I met my first talking weasel like this, but it was angry at me for taking away its spot when I never really took it in the first place! After all, I only wanted it for tonight! I didn’t want to make things weirder than they already were… So I responded meekly,

“Oh… this is your dating place? I’m sorry… I’ll… I’ll get out of the way. You see… I just wanted this spot to tell a mare how I felt tonight…” The weasel’s angry face instantly turned into laughter upon hearing my sorry excuse of a retort.

“Ohhh… you’re trying to hitch up a mare eh?!” The pink-faced weasel playfully replied. “Oh silly stallion! How are you going to hitch up a mare being the way you are?! You’re so lanky and… unattractive!” The weasel continued to tease me for a good few seconds. I wanted to get mad at him back, but it was true… I was lanky and my voice wasn’t strong like the other stallions. I began wondering how in Equestria I was ever going to get closer with Cup Cake with the way I am…

The weasel kept going with his teasing, but suddenly paused and pointed up towards my left! He waved at me as if something was coming towards me! I quickly turned to see why it was acting so erratically, only to see a soccer ball fly right at my face! I couldn’t react fast enough, and my head got bonked by the ball and was knocked out cold on the bench…

“What… what happened…?” was the first thing I asked when I got up from my bench… the weasel was constantly flailing its arms at me as I opened my eyes with a groan.

“Mr. Stallion… are you all right?!” The weasel asked with sincere concern in his voice. The weasel quickly picked up the ball and threw it off towards where it first came before attending to Carrot Cake again.

“I’ll… I’ll be alright… I just gotta get my lunch out and start eating.” I replied with another groan while rubbing my head to ease the pain.

“Oh thank Celestia! I was worried that you got unconscious or something! You’ll be alright now, other than a small bruise on your head.” The weasel pointed at my forehead, noting the red patch that had just formed… I wanted to complain about the bruise, but I couldn’t do anything about it anymore.

With that in mind, I took out my carrot cake for lunch, but just as I was about to, the weasel was shouting at me again!

“Be careful Mr. Stallion! There’s a basketball coming at you this time!” This time, my hind legs spontaneously stretched out and bucked the basketball away towards the court! The weasel began to clap happily upon seeing my success with bucking the ball away.

“Mr. Weasel! -” Before I could interject at what was happening, the weasel interrupted him.

“It’s Wesley, Mr. Stallion.” I nodded before I introduced myself and asked,

“I’m Carrot Cake, but anyway! Why are all these balls flying at us Wesley?!” I questioned the weasel with fear as I had to buck another soccer ball away from our sight.

“You can have this spot tonight Carrot Cake, but there’s two things you have to keep in mind.” The weasel smirked as he spoke of his conditions. I could only awkwardly scratch my head before the weasel continued.

“The flying balls were the first one. There’s always stallions and mares playing a wide range of ball sports after school and even late into the night. Every now and then, there will be balls flying here from ponies playing sports. You’ve gotta be ready to buck the balls out of the way like you did just now. If you want to move, that’s fine, but there isn’t another place like this for you to tell your feelings.” Mr. Cake nodded anxiously at the weasel’s first condition before he continued.

“Second, I’ll be going on a date myself! So if you’re going to be here, you’ll be seeing us enjoy the view as well. We’d appreciate your help in bucking the balls away for not only your marefriend, but for us too!” The weasel insisted. I nodded in agreement, but with a bright red blush on my face. Cup Cake wasn’t my marefriend… not yet at least. I hoped that it was the case…

The weasel then waved goodbye before he went back into his hole. I then lied on the bench, finally eating my carrot cake in peace. While I was enjoying my carrot cake, I could only think about what it is I had to say to Cup Cake about my feelings… I wanted to tell her everything from the bottom of my heart, but I was scared. I just hope things tonight end better than I hope… I eventually finished eating my cake, and upon realizing that I had to go back to my classes, I quickly packed up my stuff and headed back towards the school. Hopefully… tonight would be a special night.


The sun was just beginning to set on the day. I had already finished my homework for tomorrow during the school day, just so that I could have the night off with Cup Cake. I waited anxiously outside the school’s doors so she and I could walk towards the place I found to just sit and talk. While I waited, I made sure that the oatmeal cupcakes I prepared this morning were still good to go and stored safely inside my bag. It took a few extra minutes, but Cup Cake finally arrived. Upon noticing my bruise, Cup Cake immediately asked with a concerned look,

“Oh Carrot Cake! what happened to your head?”

“It’ll be alright Cup Cake… A ball hit my head is all.” I replied quickly. Good thing Cup Cake just nodded. I didn’t really want to talk more about the bonking, and Cup Cake moved to the all-important question:

“Where are we headed to?” Cup Cake asked with such sweetness. Her voice was music to my ears… I smiled happily before I shook my head and replied anxiously,

“I’m… I’m headed towards the park! Yeah! Let’s head there!” It was so nerve-wrecking seeing Cup Cake trot beside me as we trotted towards the bench I found at lunchtime. She had such a big smile, but wasn’t saying anything! Noticing that we were still quiet when we were already halfway to the bench, I turned to Cup Cake to ask a quick question that would hopefully break the ice…

“Hey Cup Cake… how was your day today?” Cup Cake giggled again after I asked. Why did she giggle again? She’s so cute when she does it, but I’m always scared of doing something wrong… UGH!

“Oh it was quite the busy day really. I had to prepare a lot of cupcakes for a filly’s birthday party as part of my final project. It’s got a lemon flavour to it, so I hope it won’t be too sour for the filly…” I looked on at Cup Cake’s face while we kept walking. My eyes were continuously lost in hers as she began to ramble about her final project… Before I knew it, we arrived at the bench… with me still staring at Cup Cake’s eyes even as she stopped to point at the bench.

“Ummm… Carrot Cake, is this where we’re sitting tonight? It’s a lovely spot you’ve chosen!” I could barely hear Cup Cake ask the question before she started to wave at my face. As soon as she did so, I quickly shook my head and responded with a blush,

“Oh yes Cup Cake! This is the spot! I chose it because of the lake!” I chuckled nervously afterwards… this was already a bad start to the night, embarrassing myself in front of her! Worse yet, I didn’t even remember that Cup Cake was talking about! This wasn’t good at all! I began hoping that she wouldn’t ask about it again for a while…

I, as calmly as possible, placed myself on the bench along with Cup Cake. The two weasels came out of their hole soon after, which startled Cup Cake slightly. Noticing the startle, I quickly introduced the two new acquaintances I met,

“Oh Cup Cake! I didn’t tell you! This is Wesley and his girlfriend! They’re also hanging out here tonight!” The two weasels then waved back before they started chattering amongst themselves. Cup Cake and I were then left to look out towards the small lake as the sun continued to set, turning the whole foreground orange. It was truly a beautiful sight… I was about to immerse myself into its beauty before Cup Cake pointed quickly at a soccer ball and began screaming! I turned around and quickly bucked the ball away, ensuring that she and the weasels were fine. The weasels too were scared, but they began clapping after I successfully bucked the soccer ball away. I turned back to Cup Cake to see her panting lightly before she calmly spoke,

“Thanks Carrot Cake. You’re so sweet. I just hope there aren’t any more balls that come our way… I get scared of flying balls…” When I heard about her fear of flying balls, I suddenly stopped. This area was prone to flying balls, but I couldn’t get us to move away now! Not after I promised the weasels to help them! Soon, I could see a football flying towards us! I quickly bucked that ball too before I sat down again. There was a brief moment of silence before Cup Cake asked the question I dreaded to hear…

“Carrot Cake… You invited me here tonight because you wanted to say something yes? What did you want to say to me tonight, and why here?” My heart began pounding again in fear… but this time, there was a basketball and a soccer ball that flew towards me. The weasels were pointing at the balls in the background and I quickly bucked the two balls away before Cup Cake had a chance to scream in fright. My heart quickly calmed after bucking the balls away. It was like I was kicking my feelings away with my hind-legs… I had no idea I had such strong legs… and after the bucking, I had the courage to finally say with sincerity…

“Cup Cake… You’re an amazing mare. You’ve taught me so much about baking cupcakes…” I was just about to continue before I had to buck another soccer ball… Cup Cake screamed again but I quickly motioned her to calm… she sighed before I continued. “You’ve taught me things I’d never have expected to learn from anypony else. You’re a lovely mare, and I don’t believe a word the other mares are saying about you. I think you’re beautiful when you giggle when I make a mistake. I think you’re beautiful because of your cupcake-frosting styled hair. I think you’re beautiful because you’ve done so much for me…” I briefly paused before I had to buck another soccer ball that came in my way. Then came the ultimate moment…

“Cup Cake… I was wondering… if you wanted to be my marefriend. I… really like you a lot. And I feel… we have something special here. I understand and fully respect your decision, even if you don’t see me that way.” I spoke those words like I always rehearsed them… I bucked another two footballs out of the way soon afterwards. I could hear the weasels cheer happily yet again at how good I was at bucking the balls… But it wasn’t just that. The bucking was really annoying, but pushing those balls away really did me buck away my feelings without sounding too nervous!

I looked onward towards Cup Cake’s face. She made another giggle before she began to blush herself. It became obvious that she was speechless as well… I wasn’t sure what to make of what she was doing… was she confused at what I said? What if she just wanted to run away? What if she was just saw me as a pawn this whole time?! I could feel my body sweating, not just from all the bucking I had to do, but also from fear at how Cup Cake would respond…

“Carrot Cake… I… I’ve been meaning to tell you this while I’ve taught you how to bake cupcakes.” Cup Cake gave out a smile before she continued. “Carrot Cake... the mares made fun of me for a lot of things, including my weird mane and my shyness.” The pause from Cup Cake felt like years even though it was only a few seconds… can she just get to the point already?! “But they were also making fun of me for liking you.” My heart suddenly stopped. Did she just say… she liked me?! But there was more!

“Carrot Cake. The teasing was annoying, but I don’t care about them. I really do believe you’re a special pony. You’re so talented with cakes, even more than me! You have such a strong and caring heart, and I saw that in full display when you heroically bucked the balls out of my harm’s way.” I began blushing even deeper and gave out a child-like giggle before she continued. “Carrot Cake… I really like you too. And I do want to be your special somepony. I want to know more about you and spend more time with you. I want to be with you.”

When Cup Cake finished her response, she waited for me to speak again. She could see that my face was going pale at what I just heard… she waved her hooves at my eyes, hoping I was alright… after a longer pause, I quickly remembered that I had some oatmeal cupcakes to share with her. I quickly grab my oatmeal cupcake package from my bag and present it to her.

“Cup Cake. You don’t know how glad you’ve made me tonight. As a token of my appreciation for you and the things you’ve done for me, I decided to bake some oatmeal cakes by myself this morning.” I bucked another basketball out of the way after being motioned once more by the weasels. “I… I was wondering if we could enjoy some by the lake tonight?” Cup Cake gave out a long “ooooohhh” after I opened the package for her. Sure the oatmeal cupcakes didn’t look amazing, but Cup Cake instantly jumped over to my side of the bench and gave me a warm embrace. What could I do but to embrace her back?

I hugged her as tightly as we could, while the weasels clapped happily and jumped out with joy. After the embrace, Cup Cake and I sat back down and took a bite out of some of the admittedly delicious oatmeal cupcakes. The weasels kept clapping at what would be the beginning of a loving relationship… and a marriage that would last a lifetime.

--------------------------------------------------------- THE END --------------------------------------------------------

Comments ( 2 )

I think this was a good story, and for being some of your first written stuff like this, I think it was great!
The way the crossover worked was done really well too, methinks; the way I see it, I'm not sure if it could have been done better.
Overall, I have nothing as far as I can see to criticise, just keep it up, it was a sweet and perfectly long story.

This was pretty good. Kind of disappointed there's a lack of Rhythm Heaven x My Little Pony fanfictions out there... I might just make one after reading this.

Login or register to comment