• Published 16th Aug 2015
  • 4,273 Views, 51 Comments

Son of a Kaiju! - Storm Shine



A teen goes to a convention in casual wear and notices a small pink gem that looks oddly familiar. After buying it from the Merchant he wakes up with blonde hair, orange skin, and a serious case of dragon breath. Literally.

  • ...
13
 51
 4,273

Of Dragons and... Ponies?

Scaling that mountain was a lot easier than I'd have thought it would be. Maybe that's because I'm half-kaiju...? Oh well, anyways I just now reached the top. "Finally!" I exclaimed happily, reaching the top. "That may have been easy, but it still took forever!" I'm a sorta impatient person, sue me. Well, hopefully not literally... you won't will you? No, of course you won't voice-in-my head.

Back on track, "Woah!" I looked in awe at the large crater in front of me. The place was jam packed with Lava, jewels, and dragons! Cool! Taking another look around, I noticed most of them seemed old and grumpy, which meant I was probably better off leaving them be. Probably. But on the other hand, I saw a bunch of teen-looking dragons just over there! ...And a really small purple one that belched up a scroll?

Meh, whatever. I can worry about that later, if at all. Right now, It's time to have some fun!

I took a step back and launched into a running leap before hitting the ground at the bottom of the crater, rolling to keep my momentum I straightened up into a sprint towards the teen dragons. Coming to a stop just in front of what seemed like the leader of the group, I stuck out my hand with a smile. "Hi! I'm John, but you can probably call me Duncan!" I greeted cheerfully. "What's your name?"

The red dragon looked at me blankly, "What the heck are you?" He asked bluntly. "And what do you think you're doing here? You aren't a dragon."

I nodded, "I am indeed not a dragon." I agreed easily. "I'm a human. Well... Half human. The other half is Kaiju, though I never really learned how the heck that worked out... Then again, I'm probably better off not knowing."

"Right..." The dragon replied, a little confused. "Well I'm Garble, and you're toast." He offered before sending a wall of flames at me.

Still smiling, I scratched my head as the flames passed around me. When they finally finished, Garble and every other dragon there seemed pretty surprised to see me still there. Well, minus a jacket. "Darn, that was a cool jacket too..." I muttered to myself before looking up.

"So is that some kind of Dragon greeting?" I asked curiously, before deciding to reciprocate. "Well, when in Rome." I told him before taking a deep breath and blasting him with my flames. I felt a little bad for the poor guy, seeing as he ended up getting knocked a good 10-20 feet away.

I walked over to Garble, who was holding a claw to his head. "So, now that the greeting is out of the way, what do you all do for fun?"

"I... Uh..." He seemed to have some trouble thinking, I guess he hit his head or something when he fell. "We..Uh... Tail Wrestle." He managed at last, shaking his head slightly to clear those annoying mental cobwebs.

I looked at myself, examining my backside. "No tail here, can we skip to something else?"

"King of the hoard?" Garbel tried.

"Like king of the hill, but with jewels?" I figured, looking around at all of the stacks, mounds, and piles of jewels.

"Yeah, basically."

"Sure!"

Of course, with my superior agility and abnormal strength... Well, I'm strong enough to throw the larger dragon a good five feet by accident so it wasn't really a contest. I got bored after a while and jumped off to watch. The little purple guy, nervous as he was, managed to win pretty much through sheer luck.

Watching those dragons eat gems, I decided to try one. I reached for a nearby sapphire gem and tried a nibble... "BLECK!" agh, the taste! How can these guys stand these things!? I hope coal tastes better than this or I might just grow to hate eating...

"So what's next?" I asked, eager to get to the next event. And to distract myself from the taste of that disgusting gem.

"Lava Splash Contest!" Garbel declared, leading the way to the top of a rock cliff. "Biggest splash wins."

One by one the dragons lined up, the largest one making a literal tidal-wive of lava. Finally there were only two creatures left to jump, myself and the small purple guy.

"Hey kid." I said, nudging the shivering dragon with my foot. "No need to be scared man, it'll be fun!"

"Hey, I'm not a kid! I'm a big dragon!" The kid cried indignantly, puffing his chest out. "And the name's Spike!"

"Alright, nice to meet you Spike, I'm Duncan." I told him, kneeling down and holding out a fist. Hey I might as well use the name, right? I mean, I'm pretty much him anyways. Mostly. Physically.

Spike bumped my fist a bit hesitantly as I gave him some advice. "Look, it'll be fun. Well... As long as you don't bellyflop." I told him sagely. Bellyflops hurt like hell! "You should probably go for a normal cannonball. I'll go first while you get yourself together Spike."

With that said, I swiftly stood up and ran to the edge of the cliff. Doing a backflip as I reached it, I pulled my limbs into a spinning cannonball. "Always wanted to try this! WOOOO~!!" I yelled happily, the lava rushing up to meet me.

The lava barely even splashed as I entered it... But hey, this contest was made for a dragon's weight, not mine.

Surfacing, I looked up at the cliff. "IT'S ALRIGHT SPIKE, THE LAVA'S FINE!" I called up loudly, disregarding the hushed whispers from some of the dragons staring at me.

The poor little guy looked about ready to back off... And then he jumped! Haha, way to go Spi- Yikes... I cringed more than a little, seeing the little dude take a major bellyflop. That's just not the kind of thing a human would walk away from... Then again, he's a dragon so maybe he's fine. No, yeah there he is swimming around and spitting out lava. Cool.

And apparently that was enough to get him promoted to being a 'real dragon', whatever that means. Oh well, good for him!

"Hey! If you think you can keep up for this next event, follow us!" Garble shouted at me.

"Heck yeah~! More fun to come!" I pumped my fist happily before freezing. Tilting my head, I examined my arm. "Oh yeah, I forgot that this form thing was unlocked after Duncan fell into some lava. Cool!" so he was thrown, details details voice.

Grinning, I used my now upgraded speed and reflexes to give chase to the flying dragons.


"Wait you're gonna do what now?" I asked in disbelief, leaning against a tree with my arms crossed.

"We're gonna grab those Phoenix eggs, and we're gonna smash 'em!" Garble declared proudly, pounding a fist into an open claw.

"I'm not going with that." I replied, looking at him angrily. "You're trying to kill innocent and helpless creatures for what? For a laugh!?"

"Well duh, it's not like we care about some stupid birds." Garble deadpanned.

I took a deep breath, before making my way over to the tree with the nest. Quickly climbing the branches, I stopped as the Phoenixes took an aggressive stance and held my arms up in a very non-aggressive manner. "Hey, yeah I know I look a bit threatening..." I admitted to the two birds, "But I don't mean you any harm. I'm just warning you that there's some Teenage Dragons around here that are planning to smash your eggs."

They eyed me suspiciously, scrutinizing my form and body language with cautious eyes. Finally one of them nodded before turning to the other.

"What is that thing doing!?" Garble growled angrily, "No choice, forget the distraction, we go after them now!" He ordered, bursting from the shrubbery flanked by the other two goons.

The phoenixes started in alarm, trilling loudly as they took flight carrying a single egg with them. Apparently the rest hatched, because a bunch of cute little fire-birds followed the two adults through the forest.

The dragons were hot on their tails but, thanks to some sort of magical flashbomb, the birds managed to get away.

I made my way to the ground as this happened, standing next to Spike as the spectacle unfurled. "YOU!" Garble roared loudly, "You ruined it! We had the perfect plan, and you ruined it!"

"Yeah, because I'm not going to let you harm some innocent animals." I responded angrily, my slit pupils narrowing as they moved closer.

"Well now we're gonna hurt you!" Garbel snarled, flaring his wings.

"STOP!" Spike yelled, coming between us. "Can't we just talk about this?"

"What, you mean like those namby-pamby ponies of yours?" Garbel laughed, "Yeah, right! Now move out of the way pip-squeak."

"No!" Spike declared, rather bravely for something of his er... Diminutive stature.

"What did you say..?" Garble growled, "Nobody says no to me!" He continued, advancing on Spike.

I moved to step in, but was beaten to the punch by... Uh... Does that even classify as a dragon?

And then the dragon jumped, wait no it was a costume. That makes a lot more sense than a dragon that actually looks like that. Anyways, the costume was thrown away and three oddly-colored and very furry people jumped out. one had wings, and the other two had horns. Tony would probably make a perverted joke about that...

"Nopony's gonna lay a claw on him!" The flying girl said, glaring at the three dragons.

"That's right!" The purple one added, shaking her fists for emphasis. "

"Fighting's not really my thing, I'm more into fashion..." another spoke up, her clothing easily backing up her claim. Wonder if she knew where I could get some new clothes, seeing as mine are pretty wrecked... Except my strangely lava proof pants.

"But I'll rip you to pieces if you touch one scale on his cute little head!" She yelled dangerously.

Hmm... they have a good attitude, but something tells me they won't be able to help much in actually fending the dragons off. I'd better get some help.

The dragons began laughing, "Oo~, scary." Garbel said sarcastically, "Spike, are these namby-pamby ponies your friends?" He asked, pointing at them.

"Yes, they are!" He said firmly, stomping a foot lightly against the ground. And they're better friends than you could ever hope to be!"

Spike began walking towards them, "Now, if you don't back off, you'll see what us ponies do when confronted by a huge group of jerky dragons!"

"Oh yeah?" Garble snorted, "What's that?"

"RUN AWAY!" Spike shouted, bolting. The three, what I guess must be ponies in this world, quickly following.

As they ran, they seemed to have some sort of glow fading in and out around them before winking out completely. "I can't focus enough to teleport!" The purple one yelled fearfully, looking back at the dragons quickly catching up.

Closer... Closer... BAM! "And it's a home run!" I called, catching the three dragons in the face with my makeshift baseball bat and sending them flying off into the distance. "Whew, look at'em fly!" I grinned, holding a hand over my eyes to block out any sunlight. "I think I hit the horizen!"

The three girls, who had stopped running after I'd gotten a grand slam on the dragons, looked at me curiously.

"Yo Spike, you alright man?" I asked, walking towards the group with my baseball bat hanging over one shoulder.

"Y-yeah. Thanks Duncan." He replied, holding out his fist with a weak grin.

"No problem little dude, happy to help out a friend." I replied, gently bumping his fist with my free hand.

"Excuse me..." The purple 'pony' spoke up. "Isn't that heavy?" She asked, indicating my bat.

"What, my baseball bat? Nah, hardly feel a thing." I replied, hefting it up and setting it down with a really loud *THUMP* and the sound of shaking leaves.

"Baseball bat?!" She questioned incredulously, "That's a small tree!"

"Your point is...?" I asked curiously, wondering where she was going with this. I'm pretty sure I already touched on the topic of my super strength... In my head at least. AKA here. Oh well. "Yeah, I'm fairly strong." I shrugged, letting go of the tree and allowing it to topple to the ground.

"Nevermind..." She replied, seeming to already be exasperated. She doesn't have much patience does she? Then again maybe it's just the situation... Nerves and all that.

"Hey, do any of you girls know a tailor? The rest of my outfit kinda burned away, so I need to get a shirt and maybe some shoes." I asked hopefully. By now I had already reverted to my normal orange and human-looking self instead of the demonic-looking form I was using the slap those dragons away with a tree. Still not sure why my pants are lava-proof though. Or how for that matter...

The fashion-conscious girl moved forward with a small smile, "My name is Rarity, and I happen to be a tailor. I would be happy to make some clothes for you Mr... Duncan, was it?"

"Yeah my name's Duncan, nice to meet you Rarity. Don't bother with that mister stuff though, that sounds weird coming from someone who's probably around my age." I replied easily, scratching the back of my head.

"Ah... How old are you exactly?" She asked curiously.

"19" I responded, turning towads the other two, "And you two are?"

"Eighteen, same as her." The blue one said, jerking a thumb at Rarity.

I laughed, "No, I'm asking your names."

"Oh, I'm Rainbow Dash. The awesomest pony in all of Equestria!" She boasted with a huge grin.

"Equestria huh..." I said, scratching the side of my face in thought. "Where have I heard that word before..."

"How are you not familiar with Equestria?" The purple one asked, squinting at me like I was some sort of puzzle.

"And that's Twilight, resident Egghead." Rainbow Dash offered, rolling her eyes slightly.

"Come on, let's go home already. I'm missing out on a lot of napping time." Rainbow complained.


"Welcome to my Carousal Boutique!" Rarity exclaimed dramatically, "Where everything is chic, unique, and magnifique!"

"Cool." I replied, looking around. It was pretty fancy, not that that was a surprise though, just one look at her and you could tell that she would prefer things like that.

I described my old shirt and jacket to her as best as I could, making sure to ask her not to make it too fancy or anything, just something simple to wear. After a few minutes, she help up a sketchpad with a pretty stylish design.

"Awesome!" I told her with a grin, "If I can get that in blue, then you have to be some kind of angel." Blue is my favorite color after all. I know Duncan wore red, but I'm allowed my preferences.

My comment caused her cheeks to color slightly, though I hardly noticed it through my thoughts of an awesome blue jacket.

"Well it should be done in the next few hours." She told me after taking a moment to clear her throat.

"Alright, thanks." I nodded, smiling happily.

"Excuse me Duncan, but do you have a place to stay?" Twilight asked as I walked outside.

"Not really, no..." I replied, scratching my head. "I hadn't really thought about that."

Twilight sighed, "Well I suppose we'll just have to try and find a place for you to stay temporarily... Maybe Applejack wouldn't mind you staying at her farm in exchange for a bit of extra help."

"You'd really help me with finding a place?" I asked happily, "Thanks!" I exclaimed, scooping her into a hug.

Twilight eeped and teleported out of my grasp. Looking over at the flustered pony, I scratched my head, "Sorry about that."

She shook her head slightly, "Come on, I'll introduce you to Applejack." she told me, walking off. I hope I didn't make her upset...


"Say what now?" Applejack asked Twilight curiously, "Ya want me ta house him? I dunno Twi, I'd love to help out but it's just..." She sighed at Twilight's pleading look before turning her head towards me. "You think he can pull his own weight?"

Twilight giggled slightly, remembering the tree incident. Oh how easy it is to look back at an odd situation and laugh. "Don't worry about that Applejack, he can definitely carry more than his own weight. Applejack raised an eyebrow at her, silently asking for an explanation.

"Well~..." Twilight tittered, "Spike decided to follow the dragon migration, so Rarity, Rainbow, and I followed Spike. We also got into a little bit of trouble when I couldn't concentrate enough for a Teleportation Spell to get us all out of there."

"An' what does that have to do with him?" She asked, jerking a thumb in my direction.

"Well, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself but..." Twilight trailed off.

"Spit it out Twi!" Applejack urged.

"Well, he..." Twilight took a deep breath. "He took out the three teenage Dragons chasing us."

Applejack looked surprised, "Well I guess-"

"By hitting them. With a Tree." Twilight finished, cutting her friend's response off.

"Uh... Ya mean that he tricked them into hitting a tree, right?" the farm-pony asked.

"No." Twilight shook her head, "I mean he took a tree, and swung it at them."

Applejack blinked owlishly, "Yer pullin' mah leg, right?" She asked slowly.

Twilight shook her head, "No, I saw him do it with my own two eyes."

"Jeeze..." The blonde earth pony looked my way again, "He don't look like the kinda feller that could lift a tree."

"I don't look like I can breath fire either." I piped up.

"You.. Breathe fire too?" Twilight asked curiously. "May I see it?"

I shrugged, "Sure why not? We're pretty far from any shrubbery and stuff after all." I replied. Taking a breath, I let a steady flame flow from my mouth.

"Amazing!" Twilight exclaimed, "Are you a dragon? Is that why you were with those dragons?"

I shook my head, "Nah, that was just coincidence." I told her. "I'm half-kaiju."

"Kaiju?" The ever inquisitive pony asked, "I don't think I've ever heard of those before."

I shook my head, "Yeah. That's a good thing." I told her. "Most Kaiju are violent, and tower several hundred feet above the ground."

Twilight tilted her head, "But aren't you a kaiju?"

"Half. I'm half Kaiju." I reminded her.

"Okay, so You're extremely strong and can breathe fire. Based off of that hide of yours, you're also extremely durable... What can't you do?" The unicorn asked curiously.

"Well I can't fly... Yet." I muttered the last part.

"Yet? you mean you will be able to later?" Twilight asked, her ears perking as she heard that. Those pony ears of theirs are really something..

"Uh, maybe? Anyways..." I turned towards Applejack, "Would you mind if I stayed at your farm? At least until I find somewhere else to go? I promise I'll work my hardest to help out wherever possible." And I'd really appreciate it if you could get me away from the unending interrogation too, if possible.

"Uh... Yeah sure, ah'll just... Show you to yer room then." Applejack responded distantly, possibly dazed by the unbelievable stuff she had been hearing. I wonder if there's anybody else around here who can lift a tree...


Well.. This has certainly been an eventful day... I mused, lying in the guestroom. "Oh well, better get some sleep. Aj said I'd have to wake up pretty early tomorrow after all." I yawned, turning off the lamp and falling asleep.