• Published 16th Aug 2015
  • 4,271 Views, 51 Comments

Son of a Kaiju! - Storm Shine



A teen goes to a convention in casual wear and notices a small pink gem that looks oddly familiar. After buying it from the Merchant he wakes up with blonde hair, orange skin, and a serious case of dragon breath. Literally.

  • ...
13
 51
 4,271

Waking up with Dragon-breath

"Woohoo~!" I cheered happily as I walked towards the entrance to the convention with my best friend Tony, "This is gonna be the awesomest day ever!"

"Feh." Tony replied dismissively, "We'll see about that, but I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you."

"Aww~, come on and cheer up buddy! It's gonna be funtastic, just you wait!" I rebutted, pulling him into a one-armed hug.

"Again, we'll see." Tony repeated, pushing me off of him with a small smile. I like cheering everyone up, and tony especially needs it. He almost never smiles, and never gives a big one! Well... Except that one time that I threw him a birthday party. He said he didn't want it, but that wide grin told another story.

"Yay!" I cheered again, looking around like a kid in a candy store as we entered the convention. "Hey it's Dante! DANTE~!! DANTE~!!!" I quickly bounced over towards another of our friends, waving the whole way.

"Hey guys! Enjoying the convention?" Dante asked with a grin as we caught up to him, by which time I as already pulling him into a friendly hug.

"YEAH! " I cheered again. "This is so awesome!"

"Whee~." Tony added sarcastically.

"Don't mind him, he's just mad that we had the same cosplay idea! I offered to go costume-less, but he was still too annoyed to bother to wear his." I stage-whispered to Dante, indicating the casual clothes he was wearing. "Not sure why though... Lots of people are going around as Altair!"

"I'm gonna go check out some stands..." Tony replied before walking away with a small frown, not really wanting to be reminded of that.

I decided that was a great idea and began dragging Dante, as the only friend within arms length, around to look at some of the stands and stuff. There was some pretty awesome stuff around here! Some of it I recognized, and some of it just made me tilt my head in utter befuddlement... I think it's time to go see what Tony's up to! He usually has an eye for cool stuff.

Looking around, I noticed him at a nearby stand with all kinds of cool replicas that looked real. Immediately I bolted towards him, arms prepped for hugging. What can I say, I'm a very affectionate friend.

I neared him, nearly wrapping my arms around him as he left the stand, but suddenly... Poof. He was gone and I was without anything to stop me from crashing into the stand he'd just been leaving.

The vendor there flinched slightly as I made an audible impact against the front of his stand. "Uh... You okay kid?" He asked somewhat hesitantly.

I quickly hopped up to my feet, flashing a victory sign, "I'm okay!" I replied before noticing something distracting out of the corner of my eye, "Ooo~, what's that? It's shiny!" I asked, staring at a very shiny pink gem. "That's from Firebreather isn't it?" I continued, looking towards the vendor excitedly, "How much!? How much?" I asked quickly. It was one of my favorite movies after all, I loved it!

"Uh.." The vendor collected himself for a moment, "How about you have it on the house? Think of it as a small consolation for losing your friend and hurting yourself on my stand."

"I'm not hurt, but thanks!" I said cheerfully, grabbing the pink gem off the table as Dante came up behind me. "Wait, what was that other thi-" and poof, I was gone too.


I yawned sleepily, stretching my arms as I woke up. "That was a good nap" I said to myself with a smile. "But how did I get home?" I took up a thinking position, wondering how I was suddenly asleep at home. A growling noise came from my right. "Shush! I'm trying to think here." I quickly shushed it, resuming my thinking. Wait... I don't have a dog. Looking over, I noticed a few... Wolves? They sure looked like wolves, but they were all wooden and stuff. And we were in a forest or something.

"Nice doggies?" I asked, slowly getting up. Maybe they were friendly? One of them tilted their head as I reached out to it. Closer... Closer... almost there.. *Snap!* "AHH!" I quickly recoiled as it tried to bite my hand off. "Not nice, NOT NICE!" I yelled, turning around and bolting.

They quickly gave chase, corralling me to some destination unknown. Every time I tried to turn, one of them would appear and snap at me. Oddly enough, I noticed I was running even faster than usual, the trees blurring slightly... And then, cliff face. *BAM!*

"Oww...." I groaned, peeling myself out of the rocky imprint I'd created. "Not cool Cliff, what did I ever do to you?" Well... Aside from smashing into it at full speed. Turning around, I realized this must've been the plan. Corral me into a cliff face and surround me, making me easy pickings. "You don't want to do this.." I pleaded with the bark-dogs.

I'll take the 'snapping their jaws at me' as wood-wolf language for 'Yes, we really do'... "GO AWAY!!!" I shouted, suddenly spewing flames from my mouth as I got desperate for survival. The wolves panicked, turning tail (Or maybe it was twig?) and running from the flames. I blinked, looking around at the now-burning shrubbery around me. "I.. uh.. what?"

A sudden weight (Or maybe it's always been there..) made itself known in my pocket. "The pink... gem?" And suddenly it clicked as I looked at it, the image of one of my favorite characters of all time looking back a me, reflected a few times in the gem. The rumors about that creepy convention merchant were true... Now I feel bad for laughing at my more superstitious friends. Oh well, not like I can really apologize now...

I wonder if he got Tony too? Maybe that's why he disappeared... I wonder if Dante will get sucked into the trap. Nah, Dante's probably one of the smartest among us. I really doubt that he'd fall for it. My confidence in Dante's smarts assured, I began wandering the forest randomly while simultaneously causing any forest obstacles to erupt in flames as I practiced my fire breath.

Eventually I reached the end of the forest, "Finally!" I cheered, "Out of the forest and into.. Nothing?" I stopped short as I looked around. There wasn't anything here... No civilization, no anything. well, except that really tall mountain. Maybe it's a Volcano? Hmm... "I always wanted to try a (Non-deadly) lava bath!" I cheered happily, making my way towards the large possibly-volcano.

Author's Note:

Well, Here's another story out. I took a bit of a break from writing, but I'm back and I'll be writing as much as I can. :pinkiesmile:

I wrote this, because I figured 'Hey, I made three characters in Promising Shadows, why not use them all?'. And so, here is the story of John. They will be interconnected in a way, and I plan on having them meet again at some point. And yes, for those wondering, there will be a story for Dante.

^ For those who want to see an example of Duncan breathing fire. :derpytongue2: