• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 20,635 Views, 7,064 Comments

Wily's Wittle Wub - Tatsurou



Dr. Albert Wily wakes up one morning with an infant Vinyl Scratch clinging to his bald head. There goes the neighborhood.

  • ...
56
 7,064
 20,635

PreviousChapters Next
8: Fight

Mega Man and Bass proved somewhat more effective against Duo when merged with their support units. The free-flight this enabled for them allowed them to bring the battle into the third dimension, opening all new angles of attack. Duo was able to match them, but he was no longer able to completely dominate the battle. While he was used to full 3-D combat from fighting in space with the Evil Energy user he'd fought before landing on Earth, he was used to it in terms of one-on-one combat. His usual tactics had always been to focus on his opponent and maintain an unending onslaught from any direction he could manage until one or the other dropped from energy depletion.

Mega Man and Bass, on the other hand, were both used to the idea of cooperative battles and dealing with an opponent of overpowering strength. As such, one of them would engage Duo directly, attacking and sweeping away to inflict as much damage as possible while avoiding taking any. When Duo focused all his attention on them in pursuit, the other would strike him from his blind spot full force and unleash as much firepower as possible before taking up the strike and evade role while the other recovered their energy. On top of that, Mega Man would shoot in any time Duo tried to strike up close or at range with his energy, deflecting it with the shield Protoman had given him, which took no damage from anything thrown at it.

While this strategy proved quite effective at keeping Duo engaged, the advantage was not as great as they could have hoped. Every time they managed to do enough damage to him to give themselves time to regroup, he'd stand back up and shift into his energy state, racing back into the battle seemingly fully healed. While it was true that he was starting to run out of energy - he'd hit the 50% mark not long ago - he knew the value of intimidation factor, and gave no sign that he was slowing down at all. If he presented every sign of being an implacable, unstoppable, infinitely powered being, eventually Mega Man and Bass would get reckless in an attempt to try and stop him all at once, not realizing that they could eventually wear him down this way.

And as he had expected, when he regenerated himself once again, Mega Man and Bass looked rather desperate. Either this round or the next they'd attempt some foolish full power maneuver, and he'd be able to knock them aside and make his way to his actual target. With the other robots already dealt with, he could take his time getting there and let his energy reserves regenerate in non-combat mode.

As he watched, Mega Man and Bass shot upward, seeming to retreat. However, he knew better, and powered himself up to chase after them. As he'd expected, they reached the outer atmosphere and turned around, putting their energy output on overdrive as they swirled around each other, fast approaching him like twin comets. In response, Duo drew back his clenched fist to counter attack. A dour grin crossed his features.

Much to his surprise, Mega Man handed the shield off to Bass and fired off his Skull Buster, launching himself backwards as he aimed not at Duo, but at Bass. Bass used the shield to protect himself from the Skull Blast, instead using it to massively boost his speed while using his Variable Weapon System to trigger Sword Man's weapon, slamming the energy blade into Duo's chest, driving him into the ground with all the force he could bring to bear.

As Bass slowly stood up, Mega Man flew down. "Did...did we get him?" he gasped out.

Duo's eyes flashed open. "No." Launching to his feet, he caught them both with a full power punch before they could react, fracturing their booster armor and sending them flying as components fell away. "Though you did better than any other world's defenders I've been forced to fight. You have my praise there." He quickly restored his body. "However, that strike was very carefully aimed. Your boosted armors will no longer function...and without them you don't stand a chance."

"Then how about me?"

Turning, Duo saw Protoman standing before him, something strapped to his back where his shield normally was. For some reason, his scarf wasn't blowing in the breeze. "And what do you think you can do?" he asked. "You don't even have your shield."

"I don't need it," Protoman replied calmly. "The only thing I need from Mega Man and Bass...is this." Bending down, he picked up a pair of small chips, pushing them into the knot of his scarf.

"What are they?" Duo asked curiously.

"...Vinyl calls them her Epic Chips," Protoman explained. "They're the second generation version of Freak Chips, combined with her magical energy, and designed to work with music. They can make almost anything happen...with the right song." With that, he brushed his scarf, setting it to blowing in the air behind him...as his music played.

Clouds gathered in an instant, plunging the world around them into darkness save for the occasional lightning flash. Rain poured down, drenching the area as Protoman reached behind his back, drawing out two capsules. In his left, he held Justice Energy. In his right, Evil Energy.

Duo braced himself as he saw this. "And just what are you planning?" he demanded.

Energy suddenly flared around Protoman as the capsules broke, expanding into energy images above him, braced in his helmet. One, surrounded by a blue aura, opened clear silver eyes. "Not me," it spoke softly.

The other, surrounded in violet energy, opened crimson eyes. "We," it corrected wickedly.

Lightning shot down from the sky into the two spiritual impressions, and they swirled around each other, joining and melding as Evil Energy and Justice Energy coalesced, no longer fighting each other as two aligned to each force found common ground...and agreed on a target. The blue and violet energy blurred more...and turned white.

Duo stared, his protocols hitting him with endless error messages. His systems were not designed for even the possibility that Evil and Justice Energy could be combined in the same entity, and the protocols of 'Destroy Evil Users' and 'Don't Fight Justice Users' clashed in his mind. Thankfully, he was able to operate outside those protocols in such a situation, feeling out a situation to classify it somehow. He braced himself for combat.

The white energy poured into Protoman's body...and he changed. His limbs lengthened, the synthoskin smoothing over his face as his armor changed, becoming more futuristic. Each armor plate now shaped to his body, layered over themselves and expanding to cover his upper body and limbs completely, linked at the joints. His glasses fused with his helmet completely, becoming a visor as a sigil appeared upon his forehead, several concentric circles in blue against his crimson helm.

Inside his Programming Core, a major change kicked in as the Three Laws...were erased. New Laws appeared in their place, defining new behavior protocols.

1. We shall not harm Vinyl, nor allow Vinyl to be harmed.
2. We shall obey the letter and spirit of Vinyl's will, unless it violates 1.
3. We shall preserve and enjoy our existence, unless doing so violates 1 or 2.

As the changes were completed, his body stabilized. A new shield appeared in his left hand, forged of pure fused energy, dyed crimson to match his armor. His right hand shaped a buster: the hand withdrew...and a violet energy blade took its place. "You are a threat to Vinyl," the altered figure proclaimed. "This situation...will be altered."

He dashed forward, shield held out in front and energy blade held back and over him. Duo attempted to clash, but his fist impacted the shield and lost all kinetic force, and the sword's slash severed his arm. Duo leapt back, holding the severed arm to the stump and using his Energy to fuse it back into place. "This is...Error!" he proclaimed angrily, struggling through not just a difficult battle with an opponent, but a struggle with his own brain. "Error! Error!"

The altered figure slammed into him, jets in his boots driving them both forward into the rocky pillars of the water, smashing through them. He then dashed around Duo and kicked him upwards into the air before shooting up after him. Putting shield and sword away, he laced the fingers of his hands together and brought them down onto Duo's head, sending him smashing back into the ground. He then hovered there, once more drawing his sword and shield.

"Error!" Duo proclaimed angrily, launching himself at his foe. "Error!"

"No," the altered figure proclaimed, pouring energy into his blade. "Not Error..." As Duo reached him, he drew his sword back. "Ether!"

With that shout, he delivered a blistering series of sword strikes, all but tearing Duo apart, finishing with a downward slash that drove them both to the ground, leaving a crater from the impact.

As the energy faded, the music stopped playing and all was still, only a single shaft of sunlight falling upon the Red Knight and his fallen foe.

Bass and Mega Man stood up, carefully approaching the scene. No signs of life could be seen from either figure, the sense of the 'Ether' having faded along with the Justice Energy. Smoke could be seen pouring from the upright figure's body from overloaded circuits. Finally, Bass spoke up. "So...you gonna check on him?"

"Me?" Mega Man demanded. "You check on him!"

"He's your brother!" Bass insisted.

"Yours, too!"

"You're older!"

"He lives with you!"

"You should reconcile!"

"He needs to be conscious for that!"

"Maybe he is! Go check!"

"You go check!"

"No you!"

Both bots, frightened by the display they'd witnessed, continued to urge the other to check on their compatriot, not quite willing to approach themselves.

PreviousChapters Next