• Published 17th Aug 2015
  • 1,215 Views, 11 Comments

Radio Troubles In Ponyville - No One and Nobody



Twilight is trying to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no pony has gone before… Then Pinkie gets in the way. Or does she?

  • ...
6
 11
 1,215

Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Super-Mega-Awesome Science Starts With ‘Oops’

Twilight sat in her hastily constructed laboratory running through gigantic calculations on a chalkboard while Spike was in the castle kitchen making lunch.

She sat back and looked at the chalk-covered board then flipped it over and started on the next side, every now and then referring to her previous calculations from two other boards off to the side and a stack of thick books on the floor.

Twilight was completely oblivious to the bright pink mare who trotted through the door, around a mismatched pile of machinery, past a table covered with bubbling test tubes and through stack upon stack of reference material to stop directly behind her studious purple friend. She stood up on her hind legs brought her front feet up over her head and was about to scare the mare into another nervous breakdown when her ear twitched and she brought her hoof up to her chin as if to ponder something only she could hear. Then she shrugged and said happily, “Hello Twilight. Wacha’ dooiiiinnnnn’?”

“Aagghhh!” Yelled Twilight as she dropped her sliver of chalk and spun around to see Pinkie grinning away at her.

“Oh, Pinkie it’s just you,” she said with a sigh of relief. Then, tapping her hooves together in excitement at the chance to explain her last few hours of work, she explained, “I was just working on one of Starswirl The Bearded’s unfinished projects. This was supposed to be a spell matrix capable of breaching the fabric of space and time allowing for trans-universal warping into a moon-crafted scrying mirror (which I borrowed from Princess Luna) for optical viewing of parallel existences.”

“Ooohhhh!” Said Pinkie then looking at Spike, who had just walked in carrying a plate of cookies and a daffodil sandwich, she whispered, “Once again, I don’t actually know what that means.”

Spiked set down the plate of cookies and the sandwich and said, “It lets Twilight look into other worlds like the one we visited with the alternate version of you.”

“Got it,” said Pinkie, smiling. Then her smile vanished and she turned to look over the table with all the equipment for Twilight’s experiment. Her eyes narrowed and it was clear that she was plotting something nefarious.

“Nefarious nothing,” she said under her breath so that Twilight couldn’t hear her, “I’m just trying to help Twilight. It’s not her fault she’s got it all wrong.”

Running over to a shelf she pulled down an old gutted radio that Twilight had been using parts from, a few tubes, some wire, and couple magic triple-C batteries. She whipped them together into what looked like a piece of junk and stuck it at the end of the table past all the test tubes, magical-electrical higgledy-piggledy, and the softly, shimmering silver orb that was the scrying mirror. After she had done that she walked over to the door and producing a banana peel out of nowhere she placed it precisely on the floor just in front of the door. Then she tip-hooved back to where she had been standing and taking a cookie from Spike’s tray said, “Well Twilight I’m glad everything is going hunky dory here so I’ll be off to see how the rest of my good friends are doing. Bye.”

Pinkie hopped off singing merrily to herself as she headed for the door her eyes closed.

Twilight turned absentmindedly to say goodbye to her friend and spotted the imminent disaster too late.

“PINKIE, WATCH OUT!”

Pinkie’s hoof landed squarely on the banana peel and suddenly she was going backwards, head over hooves, a pinkie blur headed straight for Twilight’s workbench with the precious scrying mirror set precariously on top of a pile of books.

“NOOOOO!!!” Yelled Twilight and Spike at once as Pinkie smashed into the table and sent everything on it flying.

Twilight watched in slow motion as the scrying mirror went soaring through the air to smash into a million pieces over what looked like bunch of wires and tubes stuck in an old radio. As the mirror broke much of its silvery sheen diminished and the pieces sat dully on the table as a large beaker landed on the radio and broke open spilling green liquid over the mechanism. Lastly a magilectrical meter toppled over to land in the puddle of green goo. There was a small puff of smoke and a brief magilectrical pulse which made Twilight’s hair stand on end and then there was silence.

“Ooops..” said Pinkie, looking guiltily at Twilight who’s eye was twitching, “Sorry Twilight.”

“Ooops?” said Twilight, a crazy grin forming on her face, “9 hours of nonstop calculations, a flawless scrying mirror which took a twelve months of asking Luna, the combined work of Starswirl The Bearded and countless before him, down the drain and all you can say is ‘oops’?!”

Twilight’s whole body was quivering now as she tried to keep herself from having an alicorn nervous breakdown.

Luckily for Pinkie, Applejack was walking by the castle and managed to hear just enough to come in and try to calm things down.

“Easy there sugar cube, it was an accident, it wasn’t Pinkie’s fault. These things just happin’; there’s no use crying over spilt milk... or uh spilt science. Now why don’t you pick yerself up and…”

She was cut off by a loud screak which came from the broken radio sitting in the wreckage on the table.

Beeeeep. Boooop. Pop! Fizzzzzz… Buzzzz…

“Uh, is it supposed to do that?” Asked Spike nervously from behind Twilight.

“I don’t think so,” she said as she picked it gingerly out of the mess and looked it over, “The magical resonance of the tubes is like nothing I’ve ever seen before it’s almost as if…”

Twilight’s eyes grew large and a big smile blossomed on her face as she turned to Pinkie and Applejack and said, “It’s not over yet.”

“Say what?” said Applejack, cocking her head to one side.

“If my calculations are correct,” said Twilight, pointing to the chalkboards, “Which they should be. Then this radio should be operating at frequencies beyond most normal magic frequencies. It should even be capable of breaching this reality. While it may not quite be an optical viewing device I should still be able to hear things from other worlds so long as they are broadcasting on the right frequency. Now all I have to do is experiment until I find the right frequency.”

Twilight looked at the radio to see the tuning knob hanging from a spring.

“Here,” said Pinkie, picking up a weird helmet-like device, strapping it to her head, and grabbing the radio from Twilight, “Let me try.”

Holding the radio in her hooves Pinkie balanced on one hoof while standing on a chair.

“How’s that?”

Twilight was just about to tell Pinkie that it wasn’t any better when a voice came from the radio slowly growing clearer.

Welcome to Bronyville Radio your choice for all the latest pony hits.

Author's Note:

So after my last fiasco with writing a book and publishing what I though was a complete story, I'm going to be more careful this time.
This story was meant to be long but I found that the written reactions of the ponies just went too fast. Plus I don't want to seem like I'm just jamming music in your faces.
So I'm only planning to write three chapters.
1. intro
2. story
3. end
If you like the story and want it to be longer please let me know and I'll try my best to add more in. If not then it'll just be a quick, funny story that would probably make a hilarious comic. Unfortunately I'm not an artist.