• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 3,230 Views, 173 Comments

Love Is Never a Mistake - kudzuhaiku



A pink nightmare appears in Ponyville. Twilight Sparkle discovers that she is responsible.

  • ...
19
 173
 3,230

Chapter 6

Out of sorts, Twilight Sparkle paced the halls of her crystal castle. She was missing a large amount of time after her experiments last night. Spike had lectured her for being irresponsible. Spike of all ponies… er, dragons, had lectured her. Something had exploded; Twilight had no memory of it but she had missing patches of hair all over her body and she was sore all over.

Princess Celestia had sent a message that Princess Cadance was coming and would arrive today. Twilight Sparkle was beginning to feel concern; Princess Celestia had made no effort to come and investigate this issue herself. Something about that felt off to Twilight. There was now a second known draconequus and Princess Celestia had done nothing to discern if Adora Belle was dangerous.

Spike, for whatever reason, was being super-helpful and was now taking care of Adora, something that caused no end of happiness for Adora. She had followed Spike around all morning, a terrible, nightmarish, toothy grin upon her face. Meanwhile, Twilight, her mind occupied with a million different questions, had been unable to do anything but pace around her castle.


“Adora, Princess Cadance is coming… I know that you will be very happy to see her, but I need for you to understand that… she doesn’t know you. She is probably going to be very surprised to see you and she might not know how to respond to you,” Twilight said to Adora in a voice filled with worry. Twilight, her left eyelid twitching, was ready to melt into a hot, frothy, neurotic mess.

“Mommy will love me,” Adora replied, sounding a bit miffed. “Mommy says she will always love me and has always loved me. She’ll love me now.” The draconequus’ lip protruded in a pout and she gave Twilight Sparkle a sour, petulant stare.

Spike, uncertain of his own opinion on the matter, glanced at Twilight and then turned to Adora. Twilight Sparkle looked as though she was about to have another Smarty Pants incident. He grabbed his tail and began to squeeze it in his claws.

“Adora, you haven’t been born yet… Princess Cadance might need a little bit of time to get to know you,” Twilight said in a quavering voice. Twilight’s ear twitched in time with her eyelid, moving in a staccato rhythm.

“Adora, everything will be fine.” Spike let go of his tail and stepped towards the draconequus. “You’re going to get a chance to meet Shining Armor. He’s a very nice pony.”

Hearing the words, ‘Shining Armor,’ Adora flung herself down to the floor and let out an impatient huff. “I wish they would hurry up. I’m tired of waiting.” Extending her long tail, Adora grabbed Spike around the middle, pulled him close, and then hugged him, almost as if he was a toy.

Feeling her stomach gurgle, Twilight Sparkle’s nerves continued to disintegrate. She hadn’t eaten very well this morning. How was her brother going to deal with all of this? Twilight didn’t know. Shining Armor was a kind, patient sort of pony. Twilight, knowing her brother, reasoned that Shining Armor would probably be the one who would deal with this the best. Cadance on the other hoof, Twilight was worried about Cadance, mostly because no matter how many times she played the scenario out in her mind, she could not figure out what Cadance’s reaction might be. Not knowing was pushing Twilight Sparkle to the very brink of a nervous breakdown. Adora had endured tragic circumstances and Twilight did not want her to suffer any further harm.

Twilight watched as Adora pulled and tugged on Spike’s face, causing the dragon to make some very silly expressions. It warmed Twilight’s heart to watch Adora and Spike playing. She saw Spike stick out his tongue and cross his eyes as Adora stretched out his cheeks by hooking her claws into the corners of his mouth. Adora was gentle; so much so that it was almost surprising. For a creature that acted so foalish, Adora was mindful of all the dangerous parts of her body. She also had a face that appeared to be made out of rubber.


When the first knock hit the door, Twilight froze, fearing some impending disaster. She looked at Adora, wide eyed, wondering what the foalish draconequus was feeling right now at this moment. Adora was coiled around Spike, her eyes were wide, and the tip of her tail was twitching.

Twilight stared at her own front door, dumbfounded and unable to move. Twilight found her legs rooted to the floor, almost as if some strange, unknown force had sealed her into place, not allowing her to move.

The door began to open; Twilight could not recall unlocking it. There was a flash of pink and a majestic looking head poked its way inside. Twilight felt her heart leap up into her throat when she saw Cadance. There was a shout as Cadance stepped inside, followed by a pink blur as something went rocketing past Twilight at Rainbow Dash speeds.

“Mommy!” Adora plowed into Cadance, running at full tilt.

Twilight cringed, not knowing if she could keep looking, not knowing what was about to happen. She saw Adora looping around Cadance. She heard Cadance gasp; Twilight could not discern Cadance’s mood. Adora was kissing Cadance now… and Cadance… was kissing Adora? Twilight, still rooted to the floor, watched in utter confusion. This was not the reaction that Twilight had imagined in any of her well thought out scenarios.

“Mommy has you, be gentle Adora, there you go… Mommy loves you.”

Flummoxed, Twilight’s mouth dropped open as she watched Cadance’s forelegs slip around Adora’s serpentine neck. It was like watching a mother reunite with her foal after not seeing them for an extended time, except that Adora hadn’t even been born yet. Cadance had never even met Adora. Confused, Twilight felt her hind legs buckle and she sat down hard upon the floor, landing with a muffled plop. Agape, Twilight watched as Cadance and Adora kissed one another, their affection genuine, honest, and sincere.

But all was not well. Twilight saw Shining Standing in the doorway. He was scowling. This was not the reaction that Twilight expected at all. Her brother looked… angry. Furious even. Shining Armor’s expression was almost scary and Twilight hoped that Adora didn’t look at him at this moment. Twilight felt something wrapping around her foreleg and clinging to her. Looking down, she saw Spike, and Spike’s cheeks were damp. Extending her wing, she wrapped it around Spike and held him close as Adora continued to give fierce hugs to Cadance.

“I feel as though I’ve known you my whole life,” Cadance said in a voice raspy with emotion. “Oh it feels so nice to hold you.” Closing her eyes, Cadance pressed her lips against Adora’s nose and gave the draconequus a kiss.

Just inside the door, Shining Armor stood there, glowering, shaking his head, staring at Cadance and Adora. He began to back away, his ears pinned back against his skull. He opened his mouth, almost as if he was about to say something, but then fell silent.

Lifting her head, Cadance looked at Twilight, her sister in law, her eyes shiny with tears. “Twilight Sparkle, that was some impressive magic, sending a projection of yourself to explain the situation—”

“What?” Twilight, confused, interrupted Cadance and shook her head.

“An image of you appeared not long after Princess Celestia sent a message. You explained everything that had happened and you reminded me that I had a duty as a mother to look after Adora even if I didn’t know her yet. It was a very emotional speech,” Cadance said.

Confused, Twilight shook her head. She had no memory of sending a projection to speak to Cadance. She was missing some time however. Had she appeared to Cadance in a moment of time travel and explained everything? Twilight Sparkle didn’t know. This was very strange. With Spike squeezing her leg, Twilight sat there, feeling very, very confused about how everything was turning out.

“You reminded me that motherhood was sacrosanct and that if I turned Adora away, that if I rejected her, I would be doing irreparable harm to my own flesh and blood. You made a very convincing argument… Twilight Sparkle… you’ve grown up so much and become so wise. When you spoke to me, I had trouble believing how grown up you sounded. I guess at some point, you’ve stopped being the curious little foal that I foalsat. Thank you, Twilight Sparkle, for reminding me of my duties.”

A dull ache filled Twilight’s skull as her mind filled with dreadful confusion. She was so focused on Adora, Cadance, and Cadance’s words that she no longer noticed her brother and the dark storm brewing on his face. “Yeah…” Twilight sucked in a nervous deep breath. “Heh… sometimes I surprise myself by how grown up I can be.” She had no memory of making such a speech and a peculiar prickling feeling was creeping up Twilight’s spine. What else had she done during her blackout?

“Cadance… how could you… Discord... Cadance, he betrayed us all,” Shining Armor said in a voice that was almost a whine. Pain, terrible pain could be heard in Shining Armor’s voice. “Cadance, how could you?”

“Shining Armor, we talked about this—”

“No Cadance, you talked about this and I just stood there, unable to get a word in edgewise!” Shining Armor shook his head. “How could you do this?”

“Shining Armor, are you judging me for something I haven’t even done yet?” Cadance began to disentangle herself from Adora, trying to get onto her hooves so she could speak to Shining Armor. “Shining Armor, this happened in the future, long after you were dead—”

“Well, good job honouring my memory… I work tirelessly to defend the country I love and you… you! You go off and you… you… welcome a known traitor into our bed!”

Cadance gasped. Adora, sniffling, wrapped one of her forelegs around one of Cadance’s hind legs. Tears began to roll down Adora’s cheeks. Twilight, after several attempts, found that she had no words to say.

“Shining Armor… I ask that you please reconsider your behaviour in front of our foal—”

“THAT IS NOT MY FOAL!” Shining Armor snapped, stomping his hoof down, the loud sudden sound caused Adora to squeal in terror. A guilty look crept over Shining Armor’s face. He looked down at the excessively pink draconequus clinging to Cadance’s legs. “I can’t deal with this. I just can’t deal with this right now. I’m sorry for my outburst… I am leaving.” Turning tail, Shining armor made his way to the door.

“Shining Armor, how could you?” Twilight rushed forwards, feeling Spike slip free from her leg. “Shining Armor, don’t you dare open that door!”

“Twilight, leave him be!” Cadance commanded. “Captain Shining Armor, you are free to go. Consider yourself dismissed.”

“I’m out of here,” Shining Armor grumbled as he yanked the door open, stepped through, exited, and then slammed the massive door shut behind him.

“How could you just let him go?” Twilight demanded as hot tears began to bubble up in the corners of her eyes. “How could you just let him leave? How could you just dismiss him?”

Cadance, who had sat back down and was trying to console Adora, glanced up at Twilight. “Because I trust Shining Armor to do the right thing. He’s hurt and he’s confused. He feels betrayed. He just needs time to sort himself out and I have confidence that he will come around.”

Running forwards, Spike tackled Adora, slamming into her and clinging to her long neck as Cadance also tried to cradle Adora’s long, noodly body in her forelegs.

“Adora, Shining Armor is very hurt… please do not hold this against him,” Cadance said, whispering into Adora’s long, rabbit-like ear. “I promise you, in time, he will grow to love you and we will somehow sort all of this out.”

Adora, too hurt for words, blubbered against Cadance’s neck, clinging to Spike as if he was a small dragon stuffy. She closed her eyes and buried her face into Cadance’s mane as her long, serpentine body was wracked by terrible sobs.

Twilight Sparkle, recovering from her shock, went over to be with Cadance, Spike, and Adora. She knelt down upon the floor, settled in close, and then without even understanding why, began to cry herself, clinging to Cadance and Adora, with Spike sandwiched in tight.

Author's Note:

I ask that you reserve your judgments until more is revealed about Shining Armor's motivations. He hasn't had his say just yet. And he has plenty to say.

Next chapter... Princess Celestia and Princess Luna come a knockin'.