• Published 26th May 2012
  • 668 Views, 2 Comments

On Her Majesty's Service - Frutti di Mare



Set in an alt. universe where the Elements of Harmony never existed.

  • ...
 2
 668

Chapter 3: Venerable

Daily Dragon office, Hoofington, 09:47 AM.

After forcing the third cup of coffee down my throat, I finally felt awake. The wall next to my desk was full of letters sent to me about the increased monster attacks. While I had gained some information on the matter, I had to find out more. Even if it meant entering the Everfree Forest. I swept the huge pile of paper on my desk to the trash bin. There was no time for interviews concerning the newest developments involving the town library renovation.Bloom then bounced from around the corner, humming some cheery tune. She had brushed her mane differently this morning. Instead of brushing it over her eyes like she usually did, it was now spiky and pointing towards the roof, and made her look like one radical photographer. Now just how in Equestria did that filly make it stick like that...?

"Good morning, Dusk! Isn't it a wonderful day? I feel like I'm just buzzing with energy!" she enthused as she bounced around.

"I see you styled your mane little differently today." I remarked.

"Oh you noticed? This is the newest fashion! Hey, how about I style your mane like this?" Bloom asked with glee.

"No thanks. Besides, you can't even see my mane from under my fedora." I explained, and tried to move away from the demon barber of Sweet Street. I like my mane as it is.

"You're such a party pooper, Dusk! Well, what are we gonna do today?" she asked, and tilted her head slightly.

"I thought that we could have a nice picnic." I said with a smile.

"Oh! Where are we going? Should I bring my camera?"

Bloom was instantly excited by the idea, and was right at my face as I answered her:

"To the Everfree Forest. And yes, bring the camera. I will bring the food."'

***

Hoofington Train Station, Hoofington, 10:27 AM.

The smell of charcoal filled the air. Around me was a small crowd of ponies, each ready to take the train to Ponyville. Most of them would only take the train to Ponyville because it was on the way to Canterlot.
But I was on the way to Everfree Forest, and the only known entrance was there. The train would leave at 10:30, and there was no sight of Bloom yet. If that filly was slacking just because we were going to enter a forest full of dangerous, pony eating creatures...I would understand her. But I was a reporter, and it was my job to find the truth, and bring it for everypony to see. Whether Bloom would come or not, I would take the train, and-

"Dusk! Come on!' a familiar voice yelled from behind me. 'The train is leaving soon, get on!'"

"Bloom! What the hay are you doing there?" I asked in confusion.

"The same thing you should be doing! Taking the train to Ponyville! Now get on, we have work to do!"

I decided to just get on the train and not ask how she slipped by me. After taking our seats, I checked my notes once more.
The Royal Guard had said that the creatures were coming from the Everfree. Now was the time to see why they were coming from there. The trip had lasted for about 30 minutes when the train arrived to Ponyville, the bright and cheery dot on the map of Equestria. I took in a breath of fresh air. Not so common in Hoofington anymore.


Ponyville Town Center, Ponyville, 11:46 AM.


We wandered for a while before coming face-to-face with a large Earth pony whose eyes were covered by a bandana.

"Good day, Mr. We are reporters for the Daily Dragon, have you seen any monsters around here?" I started.

The huge pony did not answer. He simply turned his snout towards me, and took in some air.

"You don't smell like an idiot. Can't you see my eyes are covered?" he then asked in a gruff voice.

"I'm so sorry! Please, accept my apology!" I started, and felt like bucking my face off for being so...blind?

"Hmph. Apologies are overrated. Have a nice day." he then said, and walked off.

After he had walked around the corner, Bloom gave me a jab with her hoof:

"Nice job, ace."

I was feeling bad enough already, so I ran after the mysterious pony. After I caught up, he instantly turned my way. More sniffing. He then stomped the ground a couple of times, tilted his head, and then asked me:

"What do you want?"

"Sir, I am very sorry about my earlier behavior, is there any way I could make it up to you?" I asked.

"I could go for some apple cider. The local farm makes some excellent cider." he then said, and gave me a hearty laugh.

We then followed the colt, who even with his eyes covered, could navigate the town a lot better than I. Every once in a while, he stopped to either stomp the ground or sniff the air, and then resuming his earlier speed. Bloom nudged me to ask him why he had covered his eyes, but I decided to refrain from further questions until after we had all had some quality cider.
When he stopped next to the local cafeteria, I paid another look to the biggest Earth pony I had seen.
He had a short, messy mane in the color of dark red, and his coat was orange. The cutie mark on his flank was a boulder with a horseshoe on it. I had no idea what the meaning of the cutie mark was supposed to be.

"So, Boulder. Why do you cover your eyes?" Bloom chirped at him and smiled widely.

"How did you know my name, little filly?" he asked without revealing any surprise in his voice.

"There's a boulder on your flank, so I thought I would call you Boulder until I hear your name, but this was quite the plunder!"

Boulder then sniffed Bloom a couple of times.

"You're a photographer, you have a bush of daffodils in your house and you recently had magic applied to your mane."

Our jaws dropped in astonishment. This pony was good at what he did. And I finally knew how she made her mane stick like that. I wonder what he smelled when he sniffed me? Boulder prompted me to go order the ciders, so I walked to the waiter and ordered 3 ciders. He gave me a nod, and walked off to get them. We took our seats at the table, save for Boulder, who preferred to stand. After our mugs arrived, he wolfed the drink down, as if he had been thirsty for a long time.

"Ahh...That was the best cider I have had for a while! Thank you, Mr. Reporter."

"It was my pleasure. My name is Dusk Star, and this porcupine is Midnight Bloom, my photographer...which you deduced already."

He gave another laugh, and asked me for piece of paper and a pencil. I reached into my bag and put them in front of him. The blind colt started to scribble something on the paper. I had no idea how he could scribble anything with his eyes concealed, but I had learned not to question funny things happening. I blame Bloom for that.
After he finished, he dropped the note in front of my partner and said:

"You ponies are crazy to go there, but I smell tenacity in you, kid. If I didn't tell you how to, you would just find some other pony to tell you how to get there. But remember, do not stray from the path."

I thanked the colt for his advice and company, and walked off to leave. But after taking one step, something was still bothering me. I tugged Bloom to follow me, and walked back to the colt. He was once again stomping the ground.

"Mr. Boulder, could I ask you one more question?" I started.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Why is it that you cover your eyes?"

"Because your eyes can deceive you. I learned that the hard way long ago. Without my eyes, I can see the world around me as it really is. The smell of a pony cannot lie. Heartbeats cannot be altered. And the earth below us tells the truth. Always."

He then sniffed the air once more, and trotted off. I decided that the answer was enough to satisfy me for now. Bloom and I took a look at the note he had scribbled. It was a map to the entrance of the Everfree Forest.
How did a blind pony draw that anyway? After we left the cafe, it was time to go get some supplies.
Bloom was still bouncing and humming. She probably thought we had just made a new friend, but Boulder had seemed rather grim despite his eccentric demeanor. I don't know why, but I had a feeling that we would meet again in the near future.
The streets of Ponyville were full of joyful ponies, each of them would greet us with a smile.
Bloom was left and right, taking pictures of all the ponies she met. I tried to look around for some place that would sell what I needed, but the town seemed to mostly consist of bakeries and small carts selling vegetables. Apples and cupcakes wouldn't stop a manticore, and I wasn't sure a cockatrice would leave me alone if I offered it some pie. I was looking for something with more kick in it, but if this was all they had, I would surely need to improvise.

"Dusk! Isn't this wonderful? Look, this is my new friend, Shiny Bell! She makes bells! Isn't that wonderful?" Bloom squeed.

"Yes, that's just fantastic. Have you seen any stores that don't sell food here?" I asked her, hoping that maybe one of her new friends would know something.

"What are you looking for, then?" Shiny Bell asked me.

"Something to protect me and Bloom here from dangerous creatures." I answered her.

Shiny Bell then looked around, as if to see if anyone was listening, and then leaned close to my ear.

"I know the pony you are looking for. Here's the address." she said and slipped a piece of paper into my saddlebag.

I looked in confusion at the kind looking pony, who appeared to be something else. It was just like Boulder had said. Looks can be deceiving. The note said: "Rose Corner 17, Carpet Store. Ask for Glimmer Horn."
Bloom and I nodded, and headed towards the Carpet Store, wondering what in Equestria we would find there...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment