• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 2,187 Views, 31 Comments

Twilight Sparkle, Librarian - Raryn



Twilight Sparkle: librarian, keeper of secrets, protector of ponykind.

  • ...
3
 31
 2,187

Prologue

Twilight Sparkle: Librarian
Prologue
By: Raryn


Twilight Sparkle walked over to one of the many bookshelves that lined the walls of the Ponyville library, which had been her home for the past few years. As she channeled magic through her horn and plucked a book from the shelf, she realized that there were no books left in the library that she had not read at least three times already. With a heavy sigh, she returned the book to the shelf.

"Spike!" she called out to her faithful assistant. "Spike! Where are you?"

"I'm in the basement sorting through the stuff you've got down here," Spike's voice sounded from an open door against the far wall. "You said you wanted some of those old scrolls on improbable spells and fake magic."

"Oh, right. Well, I've decided that I don't need them anymore."

There was a series of loud crashes, and a few moments later, Spike dragged himself up through the basement door.

"Couldn't you have decided on that an hour ago?" he asked as he rubbed his head with one clawed hand. "By the way, you really have to do something with all that stuff down there. One wrong move and you'll end up buried under boxes and stuff."

"I'll make sure to schedule some time for that," Twilight said. "But that's not important. When is the next shipment of books for the library due?"

"Uh, next Tuesday. I think."

"Ugh, not soon enough! There must be something I can do to... Aha! Spike, take a note please."

"Uh sure. Give me a moment," Spike said as he rushed off to find a sheet of parchment and a quill. He returned shortly with both in claw. "Ready when you are, Twilight."

"Ok, 'Dear Princess Celestia, I will be visiting Canterlot within the next few days. I have heard that you recently reopened the Grand Equestrian Library, and I would like to visit it with you. Your Faithful Student, Twilight Sparkle.' You get all that, Spike?"

"Yeah, Twilight," Spike said as he finished writing. "You want to visit the Grand Canterlot Library, but why? Don't you have enough books here?"

"Nothing I haven't read already," Twilight said with a sigh. "And besides, the Canterlot library just got reworked and remodeled after years of neglect. I have to see it. So go ahead and send that message on to the Princess for me."

"Yeah, yeah," Spike said as he tied the parchment up with a string and breathed a gout of green fire on to it, sending it flying off to the Princess.

Twilight returned to the bookshelf and gazed over the titles of the books there. This particular shelf was filled with the myths and legends of Equestria. Twilight used her magic to pull one of the books free,The Legends of Old Equestria. She opened the book as it hovered in front of her face, and flipped through the pages.

"The Record of All things, the Golden Hoof of Midas, the fabled sword of Lord Penpony." She rambled off the names of some of the more famous of the legends to give her mind something to do as she waited for a response from the Princess. She was soon absorbed in the book of old legends and was startled back to reality by the sound of Spike belching loudly and the grumble of a dragon being awoken from sleep.

"Well, that was fast," Twilight said as she replaced the book and turned around. She was surprised to see that night had fallen. "Or maybe not.” She saw Spike standing at the top of the stairs with a letter in hand. “How long was I reading Spike?"

"Oh I don't know," Spike said as he rubbed his eyes as he made his way down to her. "I went to bed once the sun went down. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to sleep." Spike passed the letter off and headed back upstairs.

Twilight looked at the message from the Princess as her horn glowed softly to pull the string that held the letter closed off.

"My dearest Twilight, I would be happy to show you about the new library. In fact, I have something important to discuss with you regarding it. Hope to see you soon. Celestia." Twilight read the letter over again, then once more.

What could the Princess have to discuss with me about the library? she thought. Maybe it has something to do with how I've handled the Ponyville library. These thoughts stayed with her as she made her way to her bed and drifted off to sleep.


Twilight was awoken by the light of the sun streaming through the windows of the library. She yawned as she got out of bed and stretched out the last traces of sleep from her body. Twilight reread the princess’s letter as she made her way down to the kitchen where Spike had set a small breakfast out.

"So what did the letter say?" he asked as he placed a bowl of oatmeal and a mug of coffee in front of Twilight.

"I'll be heading out to Canterlot later today, Spike. The Princess has agreed to show me about the new library, and apparently she has something about it to discuss with me. I don’t know how long I’ll be gone, but I trust you can handle the library while I'm gone right?"

"Sure, I've managed the other times you've had things to do." Spike sat down with a bowl of rubies and sapphires and started munching on them. "Bring me back something, ok?"

"Will do." Twilight turned her attention to her breakfast.

An hour later, Twilight had her bags packed and was ready to ship out. She gave one last look to the shelves of books in the library before waving a hoof goodbye to Spike. With her bags magically in tow, she made her way to the station for the train that would take her to Canterlot.


After a long train ride, Twilight finally arrived in the city of Canterlot where she was met by a pair of royal guard pegasus.

"The princess requests your attendance at the Grand Equestrian Library," one of the guards said while the other pulled an aerial chariot into view. Twilight got onto the chariot as the guard who had spoken to her hooked himself up to it. The pair of pegasi took to the air and a short flight brought them to the library. Right off the bat, Twilight could see the changes that had been made. Back when she was studying under the Princess, the library had been in an extreme state of disrepair; its grand stone facade had been worn and pitted with age and the pair of heavy oak doors that lead into it had been cracked and warped. But now, now the building glowed as the sun struck its brilliant flawless white stone front, emphasizing the new set of dark oaken doors. As she stepped off the chariot and bade the two guards thanks and farewell, the large doors opened, and Princess Celestia strode out to greet Twilight.

"Twilight," she said. "I'm so glad that you could make it so soon."

"I'm glad that you agreed to show me around the old place," Twilight said, her eyes wide with wonder as she admired the renovations. "So, what have they done to it?"

"Well, how about we just go in so you can see?" Celestia turned back to face the library and walked in with Twilight following.

As Twilight entered through the doors, her eyes opened wide as her jaw dropped. Just past the doors, lining the path inside, were rows upon rows of bookshelves; each new one marked with an exquisitely created bust of a pony, and each bust different from the last. Above each was a torch which she assumed were magical, designed to light when it was dark and when there were ponies in need of light. Twilight looked up towards the ceiling and saw that the rows continued on up for five more floors right to the very top, where large glass windows let in the sun, giving light to the library. Her eyes began to glaze over at the sight before Princess Celestia pulled her out of her fantasy with a soft laugh and a gentle nudge to the shoulder.

"You'll have a chance to look over whatever you want once we finish what needs to be done," she said with a smile as she walked down the aisle of books, the sound of her hooves muted by the heavy carpet on the floor. "This way, Twilight."

Twilight followed the Princess through the library, gazing at the plaques that labeled the different sections of the library. She remembered when she had first come to this place, everything was covered in dust and the place was run by a gruff old stallion aptly named Book Worm. "So how's old Book Worm doing?" she asked.

"That is actually one of the reasons why I wanted to show you around," the Princess said as the two of them entered into the central atrium of the library. It was much as Twilight remembered; a circular room filled with tables and a pair of spiral staircases that led up to the higher floors with several more aisles heading out flanked by rows and rows of bookshelves. At its center sat a circular desk which Twilight remembered being where Bookworm had spent his time and offered his help. "Dear old Book Worm passed away before we began the renovations to the library."

"Oh," Twilight replied simply. For all of his gruffness, she had taken a liking to the old stallion. He had always allowed her to stay as long as she liked and had even let her take some of the books with her when she had moved to Ponyville. He had been as much a fixture of the library as the shelves and books had been, in fact, she had never seen him leave the building. She had believed that he would always be around. "Oh," she said again, suddenly feeling tears come to her eyes. "I'll miss him."

"I know, Twilight. Old Book Worm ran this library for many many years. I miss him as well," Celestia said, pulling her student into a comforting hug. "Which leads to the matter at hoof. Twilight, I would like for you to take over Book Worm's job as the head caretaker and librarian of the Grand Equestrian Library."

"What? You want me to be in charge of all this?"

"Yes, is that a problem for you?"

"What about Ponyville? If I accept, won't I have to move back to Canterlot and live here? I can't just leave the place I've lived over these past years and all my friends."

"Oh, is that all? Don't worry, I would never want to tear you away from your friends. Though you will be spending time here on a regular basis, you will be able to go back home to be with your friends. You don't have to be like Book Worm and live in the library." Celestia gave Twilight another smile and placed a hoof on her shoulder before she turned and began to head towards one of the staircases. "You'll have more than enough help with running this place. I've already sent out a notice for those interested in working here. Now come on, there is something that I must show you."

Twilight followed as they climbed up to the top floor of the library and turned down an aisle that ended in another circular atrium, this one much smaller than the one at the center of the library. As Twilight looked around this new area, Celestia walked over to the far wall and raised a hoof to it.

"So what does this job as head librarian and caretaker mean exactly?" Twilight said before she lost her thought as the section of the wall the princess had touched slowly swung inward, revealing a hidden room. Celestia walked through the new door and motioned for Twilight to follow her. The room beyond was filled with a myriad of charts and graphs and maps covering the walls. The parts of the wall that weren't covered in graphs or anything, stood large bookshelves that were filled with old worn books. In the center of the room was an old table covered in even more books and graphs.

"What is this place?"

"This is the real job of the caretaker of this library," Celestia said as she lifted a book from a bookcase and cleared a space on the table before she placed it there.

"What do you mean by that, Princess?" Twilight asked, cocking her head to the side in confusion. "What do you mean by real job?"

"Take a look at this book, Twilight." Celestia motioned to the book that she had placed on the table. Twilight approached the table and looked at the book. She instantly recognized it at a copy of The Legends of Old Equestria, the very book she had found herself absorbed in yesterday, but this one seemed much older than hers.

"What does a book of old legends have to do with anything? Aren't these just stories?"

"It has everything to do with it Twilight. This is one of the first editions of this book. Many of the tales in it aren't in the newer ones." Celestia's horn glowed as she opened the book to an entry on the final page. "This should say what needs to be said."

Twilight looked at the entry in the book. There was just one small paragraph of text there under a heading that said "The Protectors of Myths". As Twilight read the words, she realized the importance of what she was reading, the room she was in, and the library itself.

The paragraph detailed a time before the reigns of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, back when the land of Equestria was a more dangerous place. Back even before the time of the three pony kingdoms, when magic was different and the lands were not in complete control. Back when the myths and legends of Equestria were real. Several ponies realized the dangers that the mythical items and places of Equestria would cause if they fell into the wrong hooves. These ponies took it upon themselves to create a secret order. One to keep these items from the eyes and hooves of ponykind and to protect ponykind from them. Their efforts turned the real into fantasy. Then they took the same precautions for their own order, forcing themselves into the realm of legend.

Twilight looked up from the book and turned to face the Princess. "You're telling me that everything in this book is actually real?"

"Not everything," Celestia said as she used her magic to return the book to its place on the bookshelf. "That is one of the precautions that the order took. They created stories to hide the real myths and legends. I believe the saying is 'hiding a tree in a forest' or something like that. But enough of them are real. Old Book Worm was one of the last members of that order, and with him gone, we no longer have a connection here in Canterlot."

"And you want me to take over where he left off. Fighting to keep these ancient relics out of the wrong hooves and to protect ponykind from the myths of old? Are you sure that I am the right pony to ask for this? I mean, I'm not really the adventuring type."

"You do yourself no justice by belittling yourself, Twilight.” Celestia turned towards Twilight, a large smile on her face. “You are more than qualified. You are one of the most well read ponies in all of Equestria and have organizational skills that rival my own. You'll need all of your knowledge to keep everything in check, that is if you will accept this important position."

Twilight thought on the issue for a moment, weighing the issue in her mind, a life filled with danger and adventure versus a quiet life filled with her books and friends back in Ponyville. With a sigh, she realized the grave importance of what the Princess was asking of her. "I accept the position Princess."

"I thank you, Twilight," the Princess said as she pulled her into a hug. "I'll get you in contact with another of the order in preparation for your initiation."

"Thanks Princess," Twilight said. "Um, what would have happened if I hadn’t accepted?”

“I would have been honor bound to erase from your memory everything we had just discussed.”

“Oh... If you don't mind, I think I need to send a letter. I need to put some things in order before I start here with everything.”

“Of course Twilight, take as much time as you need.”


Twilight hurried to the library from the suite that the Princess had given for her when she had first became her student. As she walked the streets, it dawned on her how different Canterlot was from Ponyville. Back when she was still living in her old tower, she had never realized just how alive the city was, never noticed the thrum of activity or the constant din of hundreds of ponies going about their days. She smiled to herself as she realized just how much her life in Ponyville had changed her, how much her friends had changed her life. She slowed her pace and found herself staring in wonder at the sights she had taken for granted.

She still had the look of wonder when the library came into view, and a large grin broke across her face as she took in the sight. As she approached the doors opened and Princess Celestia walked out to greet her.

“Good morning, Princess,” Twilight said.

“Good morning to you too, Twilight,” Princess Celestia said as she ushered her student into the library. “The last of the order has just arrived. I think it is time to make yourself known to them.”

As she made her way through the library with the Princess up to the atrium on the third floor, Twilight began to hear the sound of hushed voices and as they neared the third floor atrium, she saw the source of the voices. Standing in the atrium were fourteen ponies, all of whom were older than Twilight. Many were huddled around a small dedication to the former head librarian, Book Worm: a small table with a picture of the old stallion. A few had tears in their eyes as they gazed at the picture of the old librarian. Princess Celestia left Twilight at the entrance as she strode across the atrium to speak with an elderly unicorn stallion. As Twilight stood there one of the ponies, an earth pony mare, approached her. She looked to be just a few years older than her, light orange colored with a short cropped mane and tail of a dark brown and a cutie mark of a pair of shovels.

“Hello there,” the mare said as she grabbed Twilight's hoof and gave it a vigorous shake. “I'm Golden Spade, the current junior member of our order.”

“Uh, hi,” Twilight replied. “So, is this all there is to the Hidden Stories?”

“Oh yeah. This is all that's left. Those of our order don't normally live that long once they join. Though there are the exceptions, such as the elder over there.” Golden pointed towards the unicorn talking with the Princess. “And of course, old Book Worm.”

“Tell me about him,” Twilight said. “I only know him as a gruff old librarian who let me stay here and read for hours.”

“Where should I start?” Golden Spade said as she sat and raised a hoof to her chin. “Old Book Worm was the eldest of the order. His exploits were legendary, in fact, some of them have even become legends in their own rights. He survived hundreds of journeys into the unknown and saw generations of members come and go. We even had a bet going between the other members on how he'd go out.” She stopped for a moment and turned her towards the ground. Her next words were little more than a whisper, but they held a sense of longing and loss that was barely contained. “No one ever thought that it would be old age that would take him in the end.”

“Sounds like he was quite the pony.”

“You have no idea, Twilight,” Golden responded somberly and spread a hoof across the group of ponies standing around. “Each and everyone of us here had been part of Book Worm's life in some way. He trained all of us here today. I was the last, and I was there when he died.” The memory of Book Worm that Golden held in her mind brought tears to her eyes. “He was... so kind to me, right up to the end.” Twilight placed a hoof on Golden's shoulder, trying to offer some kind of reassurance to the mare.

“Ah, I see that young Golden here has taken it upon herself to greet you Ms. Twilight,” the elder unicorn that Golden had pointed out as the current elder of the Hidden Stories said as he walked over to the two mares. Twilight took a better look at him; he was of a light tan coloring and a mane and tail of brown that was fading to gray with age and a cutie mark of a compass, and there was something in his eyes that made her shudder; he had seen things in his life that she could not have imagined. “I am Written Word, the current elder of the Hidden Stories. I'm glad that you have accepted the invitation to join, as you can see, we are a bit short on members.”

Written Word let out a short, sharp laugh as he gazed solemnly out over the ponies there. “And each year there are fewer of us.” He turned away from the two mares and walked over to the group of ponies standing about Book Worm's dedication. "If I could have everypony's attention." All conversation about the area died down and the ponies of the Hidden Stories all turned their attention to the words of their elder. “We are here today for two reasons. The first of which I know hits all of you here very hard. We are here in remembrance to the former elder of the Hidden Stories, Book Worm.”

As Written Word spoke Book Worm’s eulogy, Twilight gazed around to the other members of the Hidden Words. It seemed that what Golden Spade had told her about Book Worm’s relation to those here was correct. While a few of the ponies openly wept, she could see in the eyes of those who weren't the sorrow they felt at his loss.

“I still remember when I became a member of this organization. Book Worm was old even back then. In truth, no one ever knew his true age. But even so, he took me under his hooves and showed me the ropes of the Hidden Stories. My very first assignment was to return an artifact, a sprig of mistletoe that was said to be able to slay even the immortal, back into the annals of myth. Unfortunately, we met with heavier resistance then we had anticipated. I was reckless, and was captured. The ones that found it were planning to use the artifact on me to test its properties when Book Worm dropped in. I was amazed at the sight; here was a stallion, who looked like he could have been my grandfather, going hoof to hoof with more than a dozen armed ponies. That scene is still vivid in my mind to this day, even after all these years that have passed. And following that he made sure to beat that recklessness out of me before I became another of those who died young. He inspired me to be better than I could, he made me what I am today, and for that, I can truthfully say that his loss weighs heavily on my heart. Now, Ms. Golden Spade, if you would.”

Golden Spade walked up to the small table set with Book Worm’s picture and turned to face the group as Written Word stepped aside. “Hello everypony. As you know, I am currently the most junior member of the order and as such, I was placed under the tutelage of Book Worm.” Golden Spade paused for a moment as she wiped away some tears that had begun to form in her eyes. “What you may not know about me though is that I was an orphan. I was picked off the streets when I was just a little filly with the hopes that I’d turn into a first rate member of the order if I were trained from a young enough age. Book Worm was like a father to me; he was stern, but never unkind. Always driving me to be the best that I could. He taught me everything that he knew...” She paused once again, and wiped away more tears as they formed. “I’m sorry about this. He seemed to know that his life was coming to an end, because in his final months he picked up on his ventures. His last task was to get an ancient beast, the Mareave Sand Dragon, back into stasis.” Golden had given up trying to keep the tears from her eyes be this time. “He... he managed to do exactly that. His last great achievement. Not a month later he called me in to see him. His body was failing him. I think you should all know his final words. ‘I have lived a long life, and seen many of my friends go before me. I do not fear death, for it comes to all in the end. But there is a storm coming. And my only regret is that I will not be there to stem this one. Be warned, for the past will come to haunt the future’.”

The final words of Book Worm hung in the air as every member of the Hidden Storied took them in. Several members hurried from the library atrium towards the entrance. Written Word approached Golden Spade and placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“Thank you, Golden, you did well.” Golden Spade stepped away from Book Worm’s small memorial and made her way to the back of those who still stood in the atrium, sobbing quietly as she went. “If there’s anypony else who would like to say something, please step forward so that you can be heard.” At his call, a few ponies approached. Dust Cloud, a light brown coated earth pony mare with a mane and tail of darker brown who seemed to be a contemporary of written word spoke first, regaling a tale of one of Book Worm’s grandest adventures, his race and fight against his greatest rival, Argent Lance, for the fate of the fabled golden quill of Shakesmare. Following that, Fountain Pen, a younger unicorn stallion with a light green coat and a mane and tail of white and blue, stepped forward to tell of a tale of how Book Worm had rescued him from a death trap that he had had the misfortune to stumble into.

After a few more ponies stepped forth to say their minds, Written Word once again took center stage. “And now onto the second matter for today. Ms. Twilight Sparkle, could you please step forward.” The ponies of the Hidden stories all turned to face Twilight as she slowly made her way to the front of the group. “Ms. Sparkle here is to become our newest initiate. Please treat her as you do your fellow ponies.” He turned to one of the ponies of the Hidden Stories and spoke a few words. The pony gave a curt nod and walked to one of the bookcases surrounding the atrium and pushed on it. The book case glided back to reveal a hidden doorway. Written Word's horn glowed softly as his magic pulled open the door, revealing a staircase heading down into the darkness.

“This way, Ms. Sparkle,” he said as he turned towards Twilight. “Your initiation awaits.” Written Word turned back towards the staircase and vanished down into the darkness. Twilight looked around at the other members of the Hidden Stories, they all wore a look of anticipation, they knew what was in store for her down in that darkness and hoped that she would overcome whatever was down there too. She looked at Princess Celestia and she returned her gaze with a smile, as if assuring her that everything would be ok, but she saw the glint of fear behind her teacher's eyes. She gathered herself and walked over towards the staircase.

This is the first step towards the rest of my life, she thought to herself as she looked down into the darkness and hesitated. There was something about the darkness that scared her, like she knew that when she began her descent she would never again find her way out. But she turned her thoughts to those she would be protecting, her family, her friends, and placed one hoof in front of the other and followed Written Word into the dark.

The stairs led much farther down than the first floor of the library, she assumed, as she traveled down the stairs for some time before she hit the bottom and stumbled in the darkness. Her horn glowed softly as she lit up the surrounding area so she could see. Written Word stood just a bit further down the hallway that the staircase had lead too.

“Ah,” he said as the light of her horn signaled that she was there. “Do be careful on this next part. This hallway is filled with traps and spells to keep the secrets of our order safe in case somepony managed to find this place. Follow me and do exactly as I tell you, we don't want you dying before you’re even a member.”

Twilight followed as Written Word led her down the hallway, her head darting back and forth around the hallway as she looked for any sign of these traps the elder had spoken of. Every now and then his horn flared up as he produced a spell to cancel out some of the defenses.

“You’d be amazed at the spells that protect this hallway,” Written Word said as he canceled out another spell trap. “These spells have not seen the light of day since this place was created, more than a millennia ago.” He stopped and turned to Twilight. “Celestia told me that you have a real knack for these kind of things.” His horn flared again a lit up a glyph on the floor. “In particular, this spell here, is a forced relocation spell. We’re not sure where it dumps you, but we know that it’s nowhere near Canterlot.”

Twilight listened with earnest as the elder of the Hidden Stories told her of the spells. She was amazed at the wealth of knowledge that was present in such a simple hallway. After sometime, the hallway ended in a battered wooden door. Written Word's horn flared brightly and there was a shimmer about the door, as if it was an image in a soap bubble. The image began to twist and turn and soon there was a portal where the door was leading into a room beyond.

“The last defense in case somepony makes it all the way to the end,” Written Word said as he walked through the portal into the room beyond. “The door doesn't lead anywhere. There is nothing behind it. All it is is a connection point to this room. And the only way to open that is with a very specific spell that only the eldest of the order know.”

Twilight followed Written Word into the room beyond the portal, and as her hooves struck the stone floor, it flared a bright red as a magical sigil came to life. She looked at Written Word who had taken a place next to a small table. As she watched, a small knife and a book appeared in a flash of the same red of the sigil on the floor.

“Now it is time for the initiation to begin. The sigil on the floor is the heart of the Hidden Stories, it is an ancient magic that binds us to our duty. Don't be alarmed at what is about to happen.”

“Should I be alarmed?” Twilight asked, eyeing the sigil and knife wearily. “What’s going to happen?”

“You’ll either join us, or you won’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“What do you think I mean?”

“Death?” she replied softly.

“If only we were that lucky,” Written word said as he looked her right in the eyes. “Even the dead can offer up their secrets. No, your mind will erode away until all that is left is a shell, babbling nonsense. We have sent many a prospective member to the sanatorium.”

Twilight turned her gaze from the old stallion as he continued.

“The Princess has said much about your capabilities. Let us hope that you don’t fail.” Written Word's horn glowed softly as he floated the knife and book in front of him. “In this world of light, there are shadows.”

“We few are the ones who know what truly hides there,” Twilight responded, the words flowing from her mouth without her knowing where they came from.

“We move in the darkness, live in it, become it.”

“So that we may better know what it is that we both protect and seal."

“For the good of ponykind, we do this.”

“So that they may learn to live in peace.”

“We pledge our lives to our duty.”

“Until we too, become one with the darkness.”

As this last line was uttered by Twilight, the sigil flared even brighter. Written Word floated the two objects over to Twilight who took them with her magic.

“Now, to finalize your position within the order, you must let the book become one with you and the sigil,” Written Word said. “And to do that, it must taste the essence of life, your blood.”

Twilight looked at the book floating before her, then the knife. She knew what she had to do, and she knew that to go through with this would throw her into a life that she had never imagined for herself. She steeled herself and raised one foreleg over the book and with a quick slash a few drops of blood fell from a shallow cut on to the book. The sigil on the floor flared even brighter, then faded away. A light glowed from the cover of the book that she was holding with her magic. She brought it closer to her and she saw that the cover now contained a copy of her cutie mark.

“Welcome to the Hidden Stories, Ms. Twilight Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

And I give a big shout out and thank you to my editor AntiquatedAnnomaly for all the help he has put into helping me to clean up this chapter