• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 465 Views, 6 Comments

Writing Off More Than I Can Chew - Cerulean Voice



A collection of short stories originally entered for the Writeoff Association's monthly prompt contests.

  • ...
2
 6
 465

April 2015: Diamond Eyes (original short story format)

Author's Note:

Prompt: Great Expectations
Characters: Snowdrop, Princess Luna
Genre: Adventure, Alternate Universe

Golden flames flickered in a compact hearth, filling the small house with soft, dancing light. A pale yellow pegasus hummed to herself while preparing two cups of hot cocoa. To save energy and conserve heat, her cloudhouse had been reshaped to encapsulate the kitchen, living room, and both beds within a single area.

She reached for a jar just as the howling wind rattled the kitchen window. With a sigh, she plopped two marshmallows into each wooden mug. She blew a tuft of pink-and-rose mane out of her eyes and hovered back to the hearth. After dropping onto the rug, she passed a handle toward a pale blue filly next to her.

Sensing the mare’s touchdown, the filly took the mug with both hooves. “Thank you, Mother.” She took a sip and smiled, drinking in both the nutty flavour and its delectable aroma.

“You’re welcome, my darling.” Her mother grinned and pecked the filly’s cheek. “I’m sorry you can’t go outside tonight. Truly. But it’s simply too cold. I don’t want you to freeze.”

“I know, Mother. But I just really wanted something for show and tell after the week’s end.”

The filly took another sip as she looked wistfully toward the rattling window. She closed her opaque eyes, held up her ears, and tried to imagine; beyond the swirling blizzard outside, she could still picture the night’s beautiful stars in her mind. And beyond the fire’s gentle crackle, she still heard them twinkling outside.

“Just think of the upside,” her mother said, taking a drink from her own cocoa. “At least winter is almost over. Soon enough, everypony will be happy again. No more blizzard. No more food rationing. Days and nights as warm as snuggling into your bed.”

The filly sighed. “Not everypony hates winter.”

“Oh, sweetie. Nopony hates the winter.” Her mother ran a hoof through the filly’s snow-white mane. “They just like the other seasons more. It’s not the same thing.”

“Really? It sure sounds like it.”

“I know it does. But you’ll understand someday.”

Three solid knocks came from the door. Both ponies jerked their heads toward it.

“I think somepony’s outside,” the filly said.

“I’m not sure, sweetie,” her mother replied. “It was probably just the wind, but I’ll check anyway. Nopony should be outside in this weather.”

The filly nodded and lowered her head as her mother rose up. She opened her mouth wide and placed a hoof over it. The hearth draped a blanket of heat over her, and Mother’s hot chocolate coated her insides with loving hugs. Her eyelids began to droop. Perhaps bed was a good idea after all.

“Oh my goodness!”

The filly’s ears shot up at her mother’s gasp.

“Good evening, fair Primrose. Pray, grant Us entry across your humble threshold?”

The filly spun on the spot, all thoughts of slumber dissolving from her mind. She knew that voice anywhere...

“Princess Luna!” She rushed toward the door and leapt into the air. Just as she trusted, Luna caught her in her outstretched hooves and pulled her in close with a chuckle.

“’Tis pleasurable to see you again, dear Snowdrop.”



Snowdrop’s smile never left her face as her favourite pony in the whole wide world talked about the hardships of ruling a kingdom. Unicorns were a bunch of pansy flowers when it came to cold weather, apparently. Not like her tough little best pegasus friend, she insisted.

“The self-entitled foals always demand more wood, more food, more clothes.” Luna snorted. “‘Why can our Princesses not bring forth Spring’s kisses early?’ ‘Why must we suffer this unnecessary season?’ ‘Surely our earthen brethren are capable of year-round production!’”

She sighed and leaned forward, resting her chin with both hooves upon the kitchen table. “Please forgive Our lengthy tirade, Our little ponies. We are… sorry to burden you with Our personal woes.” She lifted her own fresh cup of hot cocoa to her lips with her magic and drank deeply. “By the by, Miss Primrose,” she said after lowering the mug, “we are pleased with your specialty beverage. ’Tis a most delightful and heartwarming elixir you hath concocted. We would indeed appreciate a recipe to give to Our own castle staff.”

“Oh! Why, thank you kindly, Your Highness.” Primrose blushed away and held out her wings. “Have you both finished?”

Luna and Snowdrop’s mugs both floated toward Primrose, who grabbed them and trotted off to the sink.

“So, Princess,” she said after returning to the table. “It’s not every day we’re graced by a royal visit. Particularly an unannounced one. Not to imply that you need a reason to visit of course—my little Snowdrop loves seeing you—but, well, I’m sure you understand my query?”

Luna and Snowdrop shared wide smiles before Luna faced Primrose again. “What makest you so sure that We did not merely fancy an audience with Our favourite night-gazing enthusiast?” Luna said as she raised an eyebrow. She let two seconds pass before cracking her smile again. “Ah, please forgive Us. We could not resist a minor joke.” The smile faded, her expression serious once more. “Yes, you are correct. We must discuss a delicate matter with the pair of you. It is vital this conversation remain between the three of us.”

“What is it, Princess Luna?” Snowdrop leaned in closer.

“There is something I would ask of you, Snowdrop. Something that may possibly be—” Luna flicked her eyes up to meet Primrose’s “—quite dangerous.”

Primrose flinched.

“Rest assured that We would be with you every step of the way,” Luna continued, her eyes returning to Snowdrop. “We would be personally responsible for your safety.”

“Is this… some kind of mission, Princess Luna?” Snowdrop asked.

“Yes. A mission that—and We shall be honest here, up front—We suspect hast already claimed many lives.”

“What?” Primrose leapt back off her chair and hovered as it fell on its side. “Ponies have died on this errand? And you want my little Snowdrop to risk her life too?”

“Please, Miss Primrose. We are sure that she will be perfectly—”

“Safe?” Primrose cut Luna off with a wave of her hoof. “Like you failed to keep the others safe?”

“Mother—!” Primrose and Luna stared at Snowdrop, shivering in her seat “—please don’t shout.”

Both mares maintained eye contact, Luna’s chest out and Primrose flapping in place. Finally, Luna exhaled deeply at the same time Primrose descended to the floor.

“I apologise for my outburst, Princess,” she said, lowering her head. She walked up next to Snowdrop and wrapped her in a hug. “But... you must certainly have expected such a response. Whatever reason you have for wanting my daughter’s aid on this mission, you’re talking about placing her—my poor sightless filly—in danger.”

“It is… fine,” Luna said. “We are not as well accustomed to speaking with Our subjects as Our sister. She has a tendency to receive the bulk of attention wherever we go together.” She stood from the table. “Mayhap we gather about your hearth? We desire a chance to properly explain Ourselves, should you permit Us.”



“Our sister and We believe that it may be a hybrid abomination, left over from the Era of Discord. We first heard tell of the beast when a zebra emissary approached Our castle seeking royal audience. She claimed it was a matter of grave urgency.

“During the final vestiges of Discord’s reign, he created many foul creatures. Some were already long in existence before his time—such as my friends, the manticores—but he did also create other vicious and untameable monsters, though We shall not digress further. The emissary told Us of a night that one of their own—a yearling female named Jimembelee—went missing, soon after Discord visited their village. They searched the Everfree Forest for days, yet found no trace of her. All mourned her passing thereafter.

“Then, one night, years later… it came.”

Snowdrop gasped and huddled closer to Primrose on the rug. “W-what was… it, Princess?”

Luna shook her head. “The emissary could not say. All she told Us was that they heard a loud scream near midnight, followed by some hurried movement. When they investigated the scream… they found their chief medicine mare in her hut, frozen next to her fire. Not by ice... instead petrified in solid granite.”

Primrose recoiled. “What? This beast can turn living things into statues?

“That appears to be the case, yes,” Luna said. “But that is not all. When they investigated come the early twilight, they found a long winding trail through the snow. We believe that whatever creature left said mysterious trail is responsible for the petrified shaman, and possibly the first mare’s disappearance years ago. Although, We admit We are perplexed by its motives.”

Primrose slowly lowered her hoof from her mouth and looked down at her daughter. “So... what does this have to do with Snowdrop? Why should she be placed in such danger? Why can you not send some Royal Guard members to slay the beast?”

“That would be sending them to their doom. However, We hath reason to believe that dear Snowdrop is invulnerable to its curse.”

Luna flashed a brilliant smile at Snowdrop. “Snowdrop, my friend… verily, your greatest weakness is about to become your strongest asset.”


The next morning, dawn gleamed gently over the Everfree Forest, blanketed by feet of snow. Evergreen trees defied the season by greeting the Sun like an old friend. Other trees stood frozen, begging the sky for their clothes back.

At least, that was how Princess Luna described them to her fellow passenger. But Snowdrop could see it clearly in her mind, regardless. She appreciated Luna’s tale, the imagery, the way her gentle words painted a clear picture in her mind’s eye—the only one she had ever trusted.

The chariot landed in a clearing, normally invisible but for the stark conditions. Snowdrop clutched her brown cloak tighter as they came to a halt on the ground.

“P-Princess Luna? Can I get out now?”

“Yes, Snowdrop,” Luna said. “We hath arrived. Remember Our words about the ground.”

Snowdrop nodded and flapped her wings.

“To the right, then a slow descent.”

Snowdrop gasped as her hooves touched the ground. Surface snow was not like winter clouds at all; far from light, fluffy, and supportive, it crept up her legs and touched her belly.

“Brrrrrrr!” She shivered, leaping out of the snow and hanging in the air. “It’s really cold, Princess! I think I’d rather fly.”

Luna chuckled. “Fair enough. We wished for you to experience touching the ground first, but now, at Our behest, you may ride upon Our back if you desire.”

“Yes please, Princess. Thank you! This snow is… it’s really cold!” Snowdrop shared a giggle with Luna as the Princess levitated her onto the Royal Saddle.

“Thank you, gentlecolts,” she said to her chauffeurs. “You may return to Canterlot now.”

The Guards saluted and took to the air.

Luna watched them disappear over the forest’s canopy, then trudged forward through the snow. “The village of Zebrica lies ahead,” she said. “They hath lived there since before even We and Celestia were foals. They endeavour to keep Forest Everfree’s more wild denizens under control with their presence. They use secret, powerful magic to repel predators from their village borders and those of Everfree itself.”

“Powerful magic?” Snowdrop repeated. “That sounds amazing! But…” She put a hoof to her chin. “I wonder why they couldn’t stop this creature we’re looking for. Did their spells fail?”

“We cannot be sure as of yet, although neither We nor the zebras hath observed further dissent among Everfree’s beasts.” Luna frowned. “For all We know, this creature alone is impervious to the zebras’ safeguards.”

“Oh. Um, Princess Luna?”

“Yes, Snowdrop?”

Snowdrop shivered. “I’m… a little scared. You promise I’ll be okay?”

Luna stopped. Her aura enveloped Snowdrop, and a gentle, comfortable heat spell fell over both of them. “We swear, Snowdrop, Our beloved friend. I promised Lady Primrose—no creature, foul or fair, shall touch a hair in your wintry mane.”

Snowdrop smiled and rested her head against Luna’s neck.



“We hath arrived, Snowdrop. Awaken.”

“Hm?” Snowdrop’s ears perked as she raised her head and yawned. She caught snippets of speech in an odd accent, but could not decipher the words.

“Are you tired?” She eyed Snowdrop over her shoulder. “We hope you slept well last night.”

Snowdrop nodded. “Oh, I did. I could tell were there, guarding my dreams. But your saddle was just so—” she yawned, stretching her forelegs and wings “—comfy and warm…”

“We understand. But now you must be alert, for here in Zebrica will you will learn more about this dreadful abomination.”

“Okay. I’m awake now, Princess.”

Luna hummed and faced forward, continuing onto the centre of the village. Small huts spread out on either side, logs lashed with thick green vines and topped with snow-covered straw. Passing zebras stopped and bowed to Luna before going about their business, although more than a few eyed the curious blue filly with pale eyes on her back as the pair continued on.

Approaching the centre, Luna found less snow clinging to her hooves and more solid ground beneath them. A great fire pit surrounded by white rocks took up most of the square. Fallen pine trees devoid of branches lay helter-skelter around the pit. A stone well yawned out from the surface’s depths. Only a few zebras milled about; most who sighted Luna bowed before retreating.

A single mare trotted up to Luna and bowed. “Welcome, Princess of the Night. Might you aid us with our plight?”

“We fear that We may not, in this hour of need,” Luna said. She nuzzled Snowdrop “—off you get, little one,” she whispered “—But we doth bring a friend, who may yet indeed.” She winked at the mare.

“So polite, this Night Mare, who answers rhymes with rhymes.” The mare smiled eagerly as Snowdrop dismounted Luna’s back. “We welcome all who might see us through troubled times.” She beckoned to the visitors. “Come this way and you will know, what tragedy we have to show. My name is Kuongoza, your humble guide. Now I’ll lead you to the horror inside.”



The statue was cold to the touch. Not like the soft snow that hugged her belly, and not like a moonless Cloudsdale blizzard. It was different; it was the cold of preservation, of lifeless stone. It was more than the touch; it was the idea that set her quivering as she retracted her hoof from the shaman’s cheek. Was the life inside trapped, suspended, pleading with her for release behind the unmoving mouth? Or was it gone completely, shattered by cruel affliction?

For the first time, she blessed her curse. To witness this statue in a cruel, solid mimicry of flesh would have been too much to bear.

“Miss Kuongoza?”

Zebra and alicorn stopped talking. “What is it, my dear? What do you wish to hear?” came the lilting voice.

“Does this zebra have a name?”

She heard Kuongoza’s steps, and felt them through the floor until the zebra stopped next to her. “Her name is Zeeganga, little one. We mourn her now, life too soon done.”

“Zee-gaan-gah.” Snowdrop wrapped her tongue around the name, repeating it a few times. “I’ll remember it when I face this creature. Nopony deserves this.” She touched Zeeganga’s granite cheek and felt the vibration as Kuongoza touched the other. “I promise I’ll find what did this to you. Princess Luna will help me. And though I can’t see you right now, with my mind’s eye, I can see the horrified look on your face. Trapped in a silent scream. Begging for release even as I speak.”

She removed her hoof and spun toward the hut’s entrance. “I-I’ll do it, Princess Luna, Miss Kuongoza. If I’m the only one who can, like you say… then I need to try. Not just for her, but for all of you in Zebrica. I may not have working eyes, but I’ve relied on my ears all my life. The whispers as others passed us by… they’re scared. They don’t feel safe. They think they’re going to be next.

“Even for winter, the quietest season, your village is far too silent. No one wants to talk. They hide in their homes. Foals aren’t out playing, throwing snowballs at each other or making snow princesses. Even the winds refuse to blow. I don’t expect to hear bird calls or animal noises, but this village should be louder, happier, even just a little more lively.”

Snowdrop took a deep breath. “I’ll do it. I’ll bring that lively noise back to your village. I’ll make you all happy again.”

She heard Luna’s faint sigh, and imagined the waves of approval as they washed against the shores of her heart.


“The trail ends here.”

Snowdrop lifted her head as Luna’s gentle gait stopped. “So what do we do now, Princess?” she asked, dismounting from Luna’s saddle.

“There is no more trail to follow. Together we proceed in darkness. But first, We must cast a spell on you. If We are right about this creature’s identity, We too must blindfold Ourselves, yet We must also be able to see. Fear not, for We shall not leave your side.”

“What spell is it?”

The tinkle of magic reached her ears, and she heard something shift from under the saddle.

“Be not alarmed,” Luna said, placing a hoof on Snowdrop’s shoulder. “This spell will shock you, but We feel you will greater appreciate the surprise if you know not what comes. We ask you to trust Us.”

“I do trust you, Princess Luna. You’re my best friend.” Snowdrop leaned her head against Luna’s hoof. “Do anything you need to.”

“Thank you, Snowdrop. Now—” the familiar tinkle again “—brace yourself for the experience of a lifetime. This may sound redundant, but We ask you to close your eyes.”

Snowdrop nodded slowly, but did as she was told. A tingling sensation ran through her body, making her gasp, yet she did not object. Warmth spread from her hooves, to her gut, to her back, neck, tail, and finally her face. Two concentrated warm spots rested behind her useless eyes.

“Take a deep breath. And… open.”

Snowdrop opened her eyes.

“P-Princess Luna… I can… I can see! I can really see!!

Tell Us, then, Our friend. What do you see?

Snowdrop gasped again. “Where are you, Princess? I heard your voice, but… it was inside my head. You never actually spoke.”

Focus, Snowdrop, came Luna’s voice again. Tell Us what you see.

“I… am I really this tall? I still feel really small, but my eyes—these eyes—tell another story. This is weird… I-I’m not sure I like this.”

Snowdrop watched as a midnight-blue leg came into view before her face.

This is not your leg, Snowdrop. ’Tis Our very own, in truth. Observe.

Snowdrop watched the leg move down. Her vision followed the hoof; it touched the shoulder of a small sky-blue filly with a mane as white as their surroundings. She shuddered under the second touch… and gasped for the third time.

“W-what have you d-done to us? I can see, but… it’s not m-my own eyes seeing, is it?”

Correct. What you currently witness is Our own sight—for you see, Our spell has linked our minds together. But while you hath Our sight, you retain control and feel of your body. See for yourself.

“Um…”

Snowdrop took a step forward. From behind Luna’s eyes, she watched her own body walk forward. “This is… this is… just, wow. Your magic is incredible, Princess!” She took another few paces forward, watching her body approach the entrance of a gaping black mouth. There was no more snow at her hooves; she felt only hard stone beneath her steps.

“Do we have to go in there?”

Yes. This is where the beast’s trail ended. Luna paced forward and looked around, affording the filly sharing her sight to take in their surroundings. This is what snow looks like. These are trees, or what remains of their trunks. The big black mouth is called a cave. The thing coming out of the cave is darkness… We imagine that must be what you see at all times?

“Yes,” Snowdrop said. “Darkness… all my life. Never any light. Never any clouds, or trees, or fire… No light. No wonderful light. I don’t even know what my own mother looks like...”

Snowdrop watched her head turn, and for the first time in her life, she saw herself. She smiled, even as her opaque eyes glistened with tears.

“Thank you, Princess Luna,” she said, watching her mouth form the words. “Thank you for this wonderful gift.” She wiped a let across her face and sniffed, then faced the all-too-familiar darkness and set her expression.

“Let’s do this.”



Snowdrop walked at Luna’s side into the dark. It was still the most odd sensation, knowing she was walking next to her actual line of sight. Luna’s horn illuminated the dark, a gentle blue glow granting a few yards of visibility through the endless gloom, and yet… somehow she felt more helpless than ever. It was the most curious thing.

“Princess?” she whispered, her voice loud enough in the crushing silence. “Can I tell you something? It’s going to sound strange, but please just listen.”

As you wish, came Luna’s reply. What ails you?

“Well… first, I just want you to know that I’m so happy to finally see for the first time. This is the greatest gift anypony has ever given me, apart from your beautiful twinkling stars. And I really do appreciate it…” Snowdrop bit her lip before continuing, “But here in this place, this dark cave, I feel even more helpless. I can see, and yet our vision is restricted by darkness anyway. I just can’t help but feel like… like being able to see in here doesn’t help me at all.”

Snowdrop. Are you saying you desire… not to see anymore? To be blind once again, though this pseudo-sight be within my power to maintain?

“But, Princess… like I said, seeing is wonderful, but I always did fine without it. I’ve never truly been blind—I see that now. I have my hearing, and my sense of touch. Being able to see through your eyes has opened my own. I can’t focus properly on other things while your sight distracts me. Like the way our hooves echo with every step, or water dripping from the ceiling to the ground.

“So please, Princess Luna. As much as I love you for this wonderful gift… I-I can’t accept it any longer. I want to be me again, regular old sightless Snowdrop, who sees nothing but hears and feels everything.”

The pair were silent for some time before Snowdrop saw Luna pick her small blue body up and press her into her chest. Snowdrop’s vision went dark as Luna closed her eyes.

You hath opened Our eyes as well, dear friend. We will of course adhere to your wishes.

The warmth behind Snowdrop’s eyes faded, the rest of her body tingling until finally she blinked her own eyes. She heard Luna’s quiet sobbing. She smelled the cave’s frosty chill She felt the beating heart in the princess’s warm chest, and a drop of liquid on her face. She tasted salt.

She saw nothing. It didn’t matter.



“It is up ahead, Snowdrop. Proceed with caution—We will stay by your side.”

Snowdrop acknowledged Luna’s whisper, and strode forth, her steps echoing louder as she advanced. Her ears perked at the sound of slithering, and she came to an abrupt halt. The slithering also stopped, although she could sense… something staring back at her.

“P-Princess? What is it?” Even her low voice echoed in this place. It had to be a giant empty chamber of some kind.

“It is as We expected,” Luna whispered. “Do not fear. There is a beast looking right at you, barely a length from your face.”

“I can feel it there. Like it desperately wants me to see it. There’s magic there… some evil magic. I…’ Snowdrop shivered and took a step back. “I don’t like it, Princess. It keeps staring, and staring…”

She felt the comforting hoof on her shoulder.

“It cannot hurt you. It will not attack you, We promise. It will stare and stare until you succumb, but you never will. Being unable to see its evil, life-ending gaze makes you stronger now than anypony else in Equestria. Through sheer fate, you and you alone are immune to the petrifying stare... of the foul Cockatrice.”

“A Cockatrice?” Snowdrop repeated. “Is that some kind of chicken?”

“In part. It bears a chicken’s head, atop a serpent’s slippery, scaly body. ’Tis an abomination from the beginning of time. We thought We had sealed it away for good, however the mad god Discord must hath released it before Sister and We used the Elements of Harmony to imprison him. This was not so long ago—verily but a few years after your birth.”

“So this is what petrified poor Zeeganga then.” Snowdrop glared at the dark magic’s presence. “How dare you! I don’t care what reason you have for freezing living things like that. You’re destroying lives, and you need to stop!”

The magic intensified, washing over Snowdrop. That unseen gaze was not only compelling; it was cold, lifeless… just like Zeeganga’s statue. Her fur stood on end. A tremor ran through her body, but still she held her ground.

“What you are doing is wrong, and unnatural. You need to stop.

She thrust her head forward into the Cockatrice’s face and gave her coldest stare in return. She heard something shatter… and felt the dark magic dissipate. She heard Luna’s gasp over the frenzied screeching filling the chamber.

“We… We cannot believe Our eyes! Yet it hath occurred clear as Sky Mirror Lake before us. Snowdrop…” Luna panted for a moment. “You hath broken the Cockatrice’s sight. We never thought such a thing possible in all Our long life.”

“I b-broke it? Oh no!” Snowdrop covered her mouth. “Is it okay? I-I didn’t mean to hurt it—”

“It is fine and well, Snowdrop. Fear not—it hath merely lost its nefarious ability.”

“Oh.” Snowdrop turned to Luna. “Well… is that it? Are we finished our job? Do we return to Zebrica and—”

“Ssso, the pair of you came from Zebricaaa…”

The serpentine hiss filled both ponies’ ears.

Snowdrop’s blood turned to ice. “H-hello? Who’s there?”

“Do not feign ignorance! I know the pair of you follow in the hoofsssteps of your predecessssors. You ssseek to drag my vanquishhhed corpssse back to parade your victory in front of the othersss… victory over the Mistresss of Ssstone.”

“What be thou exactly, Mistress?” Luna asked. “Thou shalt answer to thy Princess of the… Ni… Ni…”

Luna’s voice faded as a crackling sound replaced it.

A powerful laugh broke the new silence. “Sssuch a loudmouth, younger sssister of Celessstiaaa. You do well to remain sssilent in my domain.”

“Princess?” Snowdrop reached out to touch Luna’s leg. She recoiled, feeling not comforting fur but hard granite. “N-no… oh please, no! Not my best friend in all of Equestria!”

“You turn, foalishhh filly. Look upon your demissse and leave me be.”

There was the dark magic again. This time it swept over her, far colder than the Cockatrice’s stare; she was drowning in a tub of ice cubes, a chill more freezing than any winter from her past.

But Snowdrop thought of Princess Luna, of Zeeganga, of Zebrica… and her mother. Eyes set, she stood her ground, wings spread and knees bent.

“What isss thisss?” the serpent hissed. “You ssshould have turned to ssstone. No living being can bear to gaze upon my face.”

“Is that true?” Snowdrop challenged. “Then tell me, Mistress of Stone, why you can’t petrify me, a small helpless filly, when you can stop even a princess in mid-sentence.”

The chill devouring her bones clawed deeper still, and her teeth began to chatter. She rustled her wings and shivered, but the cold came from within now and spread through her body. It clasped her heart, and poised to sink its fangs in.

Then, the cold lifted.

“You… there’s sssomething about you, little one. No creature hasss ever ssstood againssst me like you have today. I would know your sssecret.”

Snowdrop breathed a heavy sigh, relishing the cold cavern air like the Sun rising on a summer’s day. She bowed her head. “I’ll tell you my secret, Mistress of Stone,” she said quietly. She lifted her head again, to hopefully stare at her company’s face.

“But only if you tell me your secrets first.”


The blind pony and the Mistress of Stone talked long into the day. In the dark, quiet cavern, the Mistress wove her tale of woe. How she had been propositioned by the mad god, for he was so taken with her beauty and desired her for his own. How she had told him in no uncertain terms that she would ‘rather stare at a boulder for the rest of her days, than allow another second for him to meet her gaze.’ How she had gone missing, foalnapped by the mad god himself, who transformed her into such a hideous creature and ironically ‘blessed’ her with exactly what she wished for.

When she finished, Snowdrop told her tale as well. She was born different from everypony else, but she had done her best to not let it get her down, instead relying on her other senses. Just the previous year, she had discovered her special talent—making snowflakes—inspired by Princess Luna’s magnificent night sky. Though she had never seen the sky, it still held beauty in her mind’s eye, and she heard the stars twinkle gently every night. Everypony liked winter a little more because of her. Just a little.



Snowdrop clung to the Mistress’ undulating stony body as she weaved through the snow. It was a curious sensation, that of moving back and forth, left and right. It reminded her of being on a swingset, only sideways instead of up and down.

The afternoon wore on, until a crimson sky welcomed them back to Zebrica’s outskirts.

“We have arrived. I dare not approach Zebricaaa any clossser.”

Snowdrop looked up at her guide. “Why not? I’m sure that once we tell them you’re not—”

“No, Sssnowdrop, my friend. I appreciate your kindnessss today, but they would sssooner ssskin me than accept me. Essspecially sssince you have returned without your Princessss. You mussst return alone to tell my ssstory.”

“But—”

“It mussst be ssso! I will hear no more about it.” The Mistress grabbed Snowdrop in her claws and lifted her down to the slushy ground. “I trussst you to keep your word, if only to sssave your preciousss princesss. Now go: tell them the ssstory, and pray they lisssten. Whatever happensss, I… am grateful to have met you, little one. Whoever thought the blind had better visssion than anypony elssse?”

Snowdrop sighed, then nodded and looked up. “It was… interesting to meet you too, Mistress. Don’t worry—I promise we’ll find a way to help you. Oh!”

“‘Oh’?”

“Yes, ‘oh’.” Snowdrop gripped the knot around her barrel and pulled. “Take this. It might come in useful later, if certain ponies see you wearing it.” Without a second thought, she tied her cloak around one of the Mistresses’ arms. “It’s extra special, so take good care of it, okay?”

The Mistress ran a single talon gently through Snowdrop’s snowy mane. “Of courssse I will. And from thisss day forth, whatever happensss—or doesssn’t—to me in the future, little blind Sssnowdrop will alwaysss have an extra ssspecial place in my heart. The heart of a monster… but also a mare.”

She called her final words as her slithering retreated. “Fate has a twisssted sssense of humour. Imagine: two blind creaturesss able to see far more about each other than even their own familiesss...”


Snowdrop shared her tale with the zebras, and in the morning after a long rest, she and Kuongoza departed for Canterlot. By dusk, they had alerted Princess Celestia to her sister’s whereabouts and condition.

The very next morning, Celestia readied the Elements of Harmony and flew to the Everfree Forest. She landed in Zebrica, bearing three blindfolds and the Elements in a large saddlebag. She, Snowdrop, and Kuongoza set off for the cave.

Snowdrop entered first; Celestia followed, Kuongoza making up the tail. Both mares were blindfolded. Once they reached the end chamber, Celestia placed the third blindfold over Luna’s eyes. Much to their surprise, the Mistress of Stone had wrapped Snowdrop’s cloak about her own eyes in preparation.

Snowdrop and the Mistress of Stone quaked and held each other while the Elements poured forth their power to reanimate Princess Luna. Snowdrop filled Luna in on all that had happened, and when she had finally calmed herself, she relented to sharing the Elements’ power. Together, they cast the spell again; two sisters united in a single cause.

The sheer amount of magic washing over the Mistress made Snowdrop’s fur stand on end.

“Mistress?” she asked tentatively when it was over and her mane had settled down. “Are you okay? Did the Elements of Harmony... help you?”

Hoofsteps in the dark. A touch upon her shoulder, followed by a tight hug.

“My friend, I owe you more than my own life. I feared I’d never be rid of such strife.” She pulled out of the hug and turned to Kuongoza, whose mouth was shifting for no apparent reason.

“Mother, it’s Jiwembelee. Do you... remember me?”


The class sat completely dumbstruck. Miss Windith, Cirrus—even Cumulo Nimbus held her tongue as Snowdrop’s story ended. Were it the right season, Snowdrop had no doubt the crickets would be chirping long and loud.

“So, everypony, that was my weekend with the Princesses, the zebras, and a Gorgon. Who’s up next for show and tell?”