• Published 5th Aug 2015
  • 680 Views, 35 Comments

The Hungry Eyes - Ammie Kindheart



A series of strange things begin to happen between Ponyville and The Everfree forest. Can someone unravel the clues before it is too late?

  • ...
2
 35
 680

Chapter 4 - You Will Pay

When Morgan and Peach arrived on the evening train, Ammie told them about the missing colts. As they passed through Ponyville’s town square, they found that it was bustling with activity. Pinkie Pie and the Cakes were helping to load a wagon filled with food. Applejack was beside another wagon bearing boxes of apple juice and blankets.

Pinkie Pie, who always planned a party at the drop of a hat, knew that the ponies searching for the missing colts needed to eat and rest. Organizing her friends, they had prepared to fill that need. Her normally bouncy manner was now somber. As she placed the last basket of muffins, Pinkie said, “I sure hope this will be enough to feed everypony searching for the colts, Applejack.”

“I’m shor it’ll be a big help, Pinkie. I’ve been so frazzled all day, I never even thought of it. I don’t reckon any of us took time ta eat all day. You’re a good friend ta us all,” said Applejack, giving Pinkie a hug.

“I know it’s no time for a party,” said Pinkie, scuffing a hoof in the dirt. “I hope nopony will think this is the wrong thing to do. I just want to help.”

“Sugar cube, if they do, I’m bound ta set ’em straight,” replied Applejack with a smile. “Now, no more worries, Pinkie. This’s a good thing ya’ve got goin’.”

Bulk Biceps had also volunteered to help. He was walking toward them when Applejack instructed, “Bulk, hitch these two wagons in tandem, an’ then they’ll be ready for ya ta haul ’long ta Zecora’s place.”

“YEAAAAAAAAH! I’M READY!” shouted Bulk in his typically loud, manic manner. He started to jerkily hitch the wagons together.

“Now, hold on there, Bulk.” Applejack’s green eyes flashed as she poked Bulk in his massive chest with a fore hoof. “I’m as thankful as can be ya offered ta help, but if ya don’t calm down a bit, all these supplies’ll be wrecked, an’ that wouldn’t make me happy one lick, no, sir.”

Bulk, whose eyes were bugging out in surprise, swallowed loudly. “Yes, ma’am, Miss Applejack,” he said in a voice that was almost a whisper. Quickly hitching the wagons, he began pulling the loads out of town at a careful walk. Bulk glanced anxiously over his shoulder at Applejack a few times as he went.

Once the stallion was out of earshot, Pinkie burst out laughing. “Oh, my, A.J.! You sure set him straight! I never knew Bulk Biceps could be tamed!”

“Aw, that feller’s jus’ a big, ole sweetheart,” Applejack chuckled. “He jus’ gits a mite slap-happy. I’m shor that he’ll be th’ same as always later. Sometimes, ya jus’ gotta git their attention.”

* * *

After dropping off their luggage at Ammie’s house, Morgan, Peach, and Ammie walked to Zecora’s home, Morgan carrying a small, black bag. As they arrived, Big Mac and several other ponies were leaving hurriedly. The clearing had many ponies sitting around a fire, eating food, while others wearily stretched out on blankets to rest. A small group stood by the wagons holding supplies. The three mares joined these last, Ammie making introductions.

Twilight Sparkle came out of the tree-home and joined the group beside the wagon. Morgan took notice of the sadness in the young princess’s eyes. It was obvious that the stress of the day was weighing heavily upon her.

“Have there been any updates on the colts?” Ammie asked.

Twilight shook her head. “Little Buddy is still the same. He just keeps staring and won’t talk. Zecora says that he should be okay after a while, but I don’t know. He seems to be afraid, but we’re all afraid,” she said with a tear in her eye.

Ammie put a comforting foreleg around Twilight’s shoulders. “Yes, we are just not used to this kind of thing here in Ponyville. Morgan, here, can help if you want her to. She just moved here from Manehattan and is fully trained in police work.”

Twilight looked up and said, “Morgan, we would be grateful for your help. We’ve searched all day and only found one colt!” Then she dissolved into tears.

As Ammie and Peach stayed behind to comfort Twilight, Morgan made her way to the tree-home. Stepping inside, she took in the tidy room, the cot where the colt lay, with his parents close by. Noticing a zebra coming her way, Morgan said, “Hello.”

Zecora put her fore hoof to Morgan’s shoulder and closed her eyes for a moment. Opening them again, she said, “You have traveled from afar to come and be where we are. Your years of learning will help you see how all these things have come to be.” Motioning for Morgan to follow, Zecora led the way to her bedroom. She pointed to a small table, where the colt’s blanket and jacket lay. “I think these things will help you know whom he saw, the pathway show.” At Morgan’s surprised look, Zecora smiled and said, “We both have different ways to see than most ponies do typically. Feel free to do your work in here—the other ponies I will keep clear.” Lighting a lamp, Zecora turned and quietly left the room.

* * *

Big Mac cautiously led the way into the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters, stepping quietly. He saw a flickering light from the doorway of an inner room. Splitting his stallions into several groups, they fanned out for better defense, if it proved to be needed. Then, moving slowly, Big Mac peeked into the doorway, ready to jump back should there be an adversary on the other side. Seeing nopony at first, the big stallion inched forward. As his eyes adjusted to the light from a fire in the hearth, he noticed a colt sleeping on the floor, wrapped in blankets.

This colt was Troy, the middle son. His young face was flushed with fever and, as Big Mac raised the blanket, he saw the colt’s hind leg was swollen beneath a large bandage. On the hearth was a small pot with some green, smelly goo and another with some vegetables and grains. It was obvious somepony else had been here a moment before. Big Mac motioned for some of his group to search the area.

Kneeling, he carefully unwrapped the bandage. There was more of the goo from the pot on the hearth, as well as three long, ugly cuts. From the angle of the lacerations, it was obvious that someone or something had tried to kill this colt. Big Mac’s face grew dark with anger.

Whoever you are, he thought, you will pay for this!

When the scouts returned, they revealed that they had been unable to locate anyone. Big Mac gently lifted the colt and, carrying him, he and the other searchers began their trek back to the healer. Every stallion walked with a heavy heart, wondering if this colt would even manage to pull through. Two colts injured, and their teen brother was still missing. What evil were they now facing? Surely nothing but evil would do such a thing.