• Published 26th May 2012
  • 13,438 Views, 371 Comments

The Descendants - Gherkin



Equestria comes under threat from a strange new enemy...

  • ...
49
 371
 13,438

Epilogue: Fade Away

A silent melody
A surface memory
A sound symphony
Became a part of me

A sudden shift between
A different frequency
My hand has spread the sea
It’s like there’s a god in me

***

Canterlot Castle, Canterlot, Equestria
2nd June 1002 C.R.
1:05PM

A grim expression upon her face, Princess Celestia watched as the small crowd of ponies slowly began to disperse down below. They had won; beaten back the First Civilization army, for good this time. However, they weren’t without their fair share of losses, one of the most significant of which had just been paid his respects in the courtyard below.

Though not many knew him personally, or even knew him at all, he was now recognised as the stallion who helped saved Equestria from disaster. Seeing as she did not have the power to return life to him in his own world (a detail she had already informed one of his friends of), she had hoped that he could live a happy, peaceful life here in her kingdom. Instead, he had chosen to sacrifice himself so that the rest of her little ponies could have the same opportunity. A noble action, though no less tragic.

The princess’ eyes followed a group of three stallions as they split off from the crowd and ascended the castle steps. Nathan, John, and Ezio. Cole MacGrath’s friends. They’ve served us admirably, she thought. It’s about time I repaid them.

She remained there in silence, lost in her own thoughts, before a quiet knock on her chamber doors a few minutes later brought her back to reality. “Come in,” she announced softly, turning to face her visitors. As expected, the three stallions she had seen moments ago entered. “Good evening, gentlecolts.”

The nodded and returned the greeting as she continued to speak. “I wish to thank you all sincerely for what you have done for me, and for Equestria. No doubt you all wish to return home. Very well, I won’t keep you.” She turned to Marston. “John, I’m sorry, but you know I don’t have the power to bring you back in your own world. I’m sorry.”

He nodded solemnly, tipping back his signature hat. “I understand, princess.”

“If it’s any consolation, I can grant you anything within my power. Money, a place to live, anything you like,” Celestia offered.

He paused for a second, contemplating. “I think... I think I want a farm," he decided. "Somewhere quiet, where I can just live in peace. It's high time I retired from all this adventuring for good."

"That's wonderful to hear," Princess Celestia complimented, beaming at him. "I can provide you with land and the materials you need to build with."

Marston nodded humbly. "Thank you kindly, ma'am."

She smiled warmly. "If I were you, I'd speak with Applejack. Her family is almost done repairing the damage to Sweet Apple Acres, so I'm sure she'd love to help you out."

John nodded and smiled once more as the princess turned to the other two stallions. "Nathan, Ezio, are you ready?"

"I think so," Nate informed her. "Though I am gonna miss these wings."

The princess chuckled slightly. "I'll be returning you to the places you left, at almost the exact moment. There shouldn't be any problems."

"Except one," Drake interrupted. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't I falling to my death?"

"A slight misstep, no doubt caused by my meddling. Don't worry, I'll make sure it doesn't happen this time. You'll be fine," she assured him, her horn already lighting up as her spell began to charge.

"Well, goodbye John," Ezio said, turning to him. "It was a hell of a ride, wasn't it?"

"Heh, it sure was," the gunslinger agreed, chuckling slightly. "Take care of yourself, both of you."

"Likewise," replied Nate.

"Farewell, the both of you," Celestia said softly, as the two stallions were engulfed in a bright light. Lowering the brim of his hat, Marston looked away. When he looked back, both Nathan Drake and Ezio Auditore had disappeared.

***

Ancient city of Shambhala, Tibet
13th August 2009 A.D.
5:37PM

Falling. Or more appropriately, sliding.

Shit, am I back? I think I'm back! Drake thought as he watched his friend, Chloe Frazer, kick one of the guardians of Shambhala off of her. The monster shrieked, and stumbled back into the chasm below.

Oh shit, the chasm.

"No, no, no, not again!" he screamed, twisting round and grabbing onto the ruins of the ancient bridge just as he slipped off the edge. The gun he didn’t even realise he was holding tumbled past him, falling into the ravine below. Groaning, he tried to grab a better hold of the ledge, but struggled to keep grip.

Goddamnit, those wings would sure come in useful right now, he thought as he started to slip.

Cursing, he lost his grip and began to fall, but was luckily caught by Chloe, who was leaning over the edge. “Got you!” she shouted, heaving him upwards. “Come on!”

“That’s it,” Drake muttered, grabbing hold of the ledge once more. “Come on.” Grunting and panting, he hauled himself up onto his feet as Chloe let go of him and began to run.

“Let’s go!” she called back as he caught his breath.

The ancient and fabled city still crumbling around them, they both began to run towards the exit. Shit, Elena! Drake thought as he saw the broken, battered, and barely conscious body of Elena Fisher lying at the foot of the stairs.

Wasting no time, they both ran to her and pulled her to her feet. “Come on, we gotta get her out of here!” Nate told Chloe, wrapping Elena’s arm around his shoulder for support as his friend did the same. “Up we go,” he said as they dragged her to her feet.

"Come on, sunshine," Chloe murmured, starting to run up the stairs that led back to the monastery above.

The buildings around them continued to crumble and fall apart as they climbed, the volatile sap from the Tree of Life exploding violently across the entire city.

"My God, what the hell did you do back there?" Chloe asked, looking back at the destroyed city behind them as it fell to pieces.

"Oh, you know." Drake shrugged and glanced back at her. "Saved the world." Heh, maybe more than one. Wasting no more time, the two of them started to run once again.

***

The Vault, Capella Sistina, Rome, Italy
28th December 1499 A.D.
1:35PM

“It is done. The message is delivered. We are gone now from this world. All of us. We can do no more. The rest is up to you, Desmond.”

“What? Who is Desmond?” Ezio Auditore da Firenze felt himself say, before he realised just where he was. Wait. I’m back. Back in the Vault. “I don’t understand,” he continued to say, looking up at the projection of Minerva as it started to fade away. “Please, wait! I have so many questions!” He tried to reach out to her, but the projection vanished.

That... was certainly an experience, if nothing else, he thought to himself, checking to see if he was indeed back in his regular form. He was still wearing the light, but near-indestructible Armor of Altaïr. Looking down to his side, he saw his weapons, the Sword of Altaïr and the Notched Cinquedea, hanging from his belt. Even his trusty hidden blades were still sheathed beneath the bracers on his arms. Smiling slightly, he turned around and went to exit the strange vault, ready to continue his mission and life as an Assassin.

***

Bad Weather Nightclub, Brooklyn, New York City
21st August 2012 A.D.
8:47PM

“Kid, how many times do I have to tell you? I hate this kind of place.”

Nate Drake chuckled and looked towards his friend and mentor, Victor Sullivan. “Come on, Sully. Lighten up, let yourself go a bit. You should be right at home here!” He gestured to the bar they were sitting at, then at the dance floor in the middle of the room. “You can relax, get a drink, and enjoy the great view of all the girls about half your age.”

Sully scoffed and took a swig of his beer. “Yeah, well, I’d be having a better time if I could hear myself think in this goddamn place.”

“Well, I’m only here too ‘cause I’m paying my dear old cousin a visit. Speaking of which...” He slammed his fist on the bar. “Another drink over here, oh cousin of mine!”

“Jesus Christ, Nate, you didn’t even know who the hell I was ‘till a few years back.” The bartender, a young man dressed in a white hooded jacket, slid another bottle of beer his way.

“And vice versa, remember, Desmond?” Drake called back, popping off the lid to the bottle and taking a swig. “You know, it’s almost creepy how alike we sound. You ever noticed that?” Desmond rolled his eyes and turned away, but stopped when he saw Sullivan pull a cigar from his pocket and go to light it up.

“Hey,” he called out to him. “Sorry pal, you can’t light up in here. You know the rules.”

Sully stopped, and put the cigar back in his pocket. “Yeah, I remember.” He turned to Nate. “I’m gonna step outside for a smoke. Get out of this racket.”

Nate nodded and watched him go, grumbling something about “bullshit techno music” as he went, before turning back to the bar. He took another sip of his beer, and thought about where he would go next. He was finally happily married to Elena, for good this time. He looked at the ring on his finger, then went to fiddle with Francis’ ring around his neck before realizing it wasn’t there anymore. Buried under mountains of sand in the middle of the desert. Right.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when a young girl, no younger than twenty-one, sat on the vacant barstool next to him. “Hello, Nate,” she said, as he turned to look at her.

Rose-coloured eyes. Technicolour hair. An unmistakable confident smirk. No way, that can’t be... “Rainbow Dash?” he murmured, not believing his eyes.

“In the flesh,” she replied, taking the bottle of beer from his hands and taking a swig. Recoiling against the bitter taste, she hastily swallowed and handed it back to him.

“Not quite cider, huh?” he said to her, smirking at the disgusted expression on her face. “What are you doing here anyway, Dash?”

“Princess Celestia wanted to see how you were doing,” she answered simply, as Nate called for a bottle of cider.

“She can do that anyway,” he retorted, raising an eyebrow and handing her the bottle that Desmond slid his way.

Dash rolled her eyes and smiled. “Oh, okay. I wanted to see how you were doing. That, and Twilight thought it would be a good idea to learn more about this world if we experienced it first hand.”

Drake nodded and took a swig of his beer. “Is that so?” He turned around with his back to the bar to face the dance floor. “Then let me be the first to introduce you to one of the most popular nocturnal hangouts in our world: the nightclub. People come here to drink and dance until they pass out and can’t remember anything about what happened the next morning.”

“If that’s true, then what are you doing here?”

“Paying my cousin a visit,” Nate replied innocently. Desmond looked up and gave a little wave before getting back to his order. “I’m not exactly one for dancing.”

She failed to suppress a snicker. “Heh, I’d like to see you give it a try.”

“I’m sure you would, but it ain’t gonna happen.” he assured, rolling his eyes. "Besides, I bet you a million bucks that you're no better than I am."

She paused, then shrugged. "Yeah, to be honest, you're probably right. Especially not like this," she said, looking down at her unfamiliar form. "In the air I can be as gracious as I want. When I'm like this? Not so much." She took another swig of her cider as they both turned back to face the bar. "Still, judging by the state of you now, you're one for drinking, I'm guessing."

Nate looked down at the bottle in his hand, then back up to her. “Heh, sometimes. Who doesn’t mind a drink every now and again?” He smiled, and held up his bottle. “You know what? How about a toast?”

She nodded and raised her bottle to his. “A toast to who, exactly?”

“To good friends,” he said.

“To good friends.” They both nodded, and took a drink.

***

Florence, Italy
30th November 1524
1:04PM

The looming shadow, cast by the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, across the courtyard provided the citizens of Florence with much needed shelter from the midday sun. It was a beautiful day, and crowds of people flooded the streets, either going shopping, getting something to eat, or simply enjoying a relaxing walk around the city. Among them all was a small family, led by a middle-aged woman. She led her child through the busy streets, while supporting her husband as he clutched at his chest.

“You should have stayed home,” she told him as he sat down on a nearby bench, coughing slightly.

“I am home,” he replied, smiling up at her.

She smiled back, before leaning down and kissing him on the cheek. “We will be right over here,” she informed him, pointing to a market stall on the other side of the courtyard. He nodded, and watched as his daughter took her hand and dragged her away, smiling. Ezio’s smile widened as his daughter, Flavia, turned and waved at him. He waved back, just as a younger man sat down next to him.

“I hate this damn city,” the young man complained, turning his nose up as he looked across the courtyard. “I wish I was in Roma,” he continued, looking towards Ezio. “I hear the woman are...” He paused for a second and smiled. “Like ripe sangiovese on the vine, you know? Not like here, Firenze.” He spat on the ground to emphasise his distaste.

“I don’t think Firenze is your problem,” Ezio murmured, looking away.

Prego?” the man said, raising an eyebrow. Ezio went to respond, but found himself gasping for breath. The man took his hand firmly, and looked him in the eye.

Coraggio vecchio,” he told the older man, staring into his eyes. Ezio stared back, still gasping for breath, as the young man nodded slowly, a small smile on his face. “Get some rest, huh?” He gave Ezio a small tap on the shoulder before standing up and walking away.

Clutching at his chest and gasping for breath, the former assassin glared at the man as he walked away, before being distracted as a young woman occupied the spot that he had just left vacant. Even in his current pain, Ezio could swear that he had seen her before. The purple eyes, and that purple hair with a pink stripe. He looked up at her, and smiled warmly.

Twilight Sparkle looked back, tears welling in her eyes, as she took both of his hands in hers. “Thank you, Ezio,” she whispered, smiling. “Thank you for everything.” Then, without another word, she stood up and walked away. Ezio stared at the spot where she had been sitting for a few moments, before looking up to see where she had gone. No matter where he looked, she was nowhere to be found.

Closing his eyes softly, Ezio Auditore took one final look towards his wife, Sofia, and his daughter. They were both looking at some pottery the owner of the stall had to offer. Smiling one last time, he leaned back and closed his eyes.

***

Beecher’s Hope, Equestria
11th April 1003 C.R.
6:05PM

“Well, I certainly like what you’ve done with the place.”

John Marston smiled, tipping back his hat as the orange mare approached. “Well, thank you kindly, Applejack. Couldn’t have done it without your help, of course.” He trotted down from the porch of his new farmhouse and gazed around at the land that surrounded it. Land that was all his, to do with whatever he pleased.

“Shucks, it the least we could do,” Applejack replied modestly, blushing slightly. “Seein’ how you and your friends saved my farm and all, I find it only fitting that we help start yours. Speakin’ of which...” She looked out at the vast fields around them. “What are you gonna do with your farm anyway?”

“I think I might just tend to livestock,” he told her. “Chickens, cattle, that sort of thing. They’ll all have plenty of space to roam around.” Chuckling, he looked over at her. “Don’t you worry none, I ain’t lookin’ to steal any of your apple business. I think I just want to settle down, live off the fat of the land.”

“Sounds like as good a plan as any, I reckon,” she said to him as they walked back over to his farmhouse. “You’ve certainly done more than enough to earn it, that’s for sure. Though I gotta ask: why’d you name it ‘Beecher’s Hope’?”

He stopped and paused for a moment. “It’s... a personal thing,” he replied, looking up at her.

“I see. Well then, what have you been up to recently? Other than setting everything up, of course.”

“Well, I visited Cole’s grave the other day,” he said solemnly. “Seems like it’s only respectful, you know?”

“Do ya miss him?” asked AJ, stopping to look at him.

“I guess.” He sighed, and looked up at the setting sun. “He was a good guy, that’s for sure.”

Applejack nodded. “That he was. A good friend too. Not just to us and you, but almost certainly to the people he knew from his world.”

Staring up at the sky, Marston murmured, “Yeah, he was a good friend.” He pondered for a moment, thinking about everything he had been through. Riding in a gang, saving his family, being killed, and then resurrected as a pony. He thought of all the friends he had made in the brief time he had been in this strange new world. I don’t think I would have missed this for the world. Thankful, he looked back to Applejack and smiled warmly, before inviting her inside, ready to begin his new life.

Author's Note:

Well, that's it. The Descendants all wrapped up after eighteen months. It's been a joy to write, even if I slack off sometimes.

I want to thank you all immensely for reading. Seriously. It means a lot to me.

~Gherkin

Comments ( 62 )

Aw.... well it was a hell of a ride.

That's for sure.

That was awesome, great story man xD
you should write a sequel with someone else in the story instead. Not saying you have to but it would be awesome xD

Great story!
Loved Ezio's ending it was spot-on to what happened on Assassin's Creed Embers ( Well except for the Twilight Sparkle part anyways )
I would love to see you writing another story (A Sequel perhaps?)

- Swift

Thanks for the experience.

this chapter brought me to tears also im glad you watched assassins creed: embers

Although I feel the ending was slightly rushed, I really liked this story. The way you combined them all was very nice. Well done partner:ajsmug:

Whoa...:rainbowderp:
I just spent my entire day reading this and I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. I loved how you captured their personalities, I couldn't help but hear their voices when they spoke. I REALLY wish Cole had a bigger part, Hell, I'd settle if they all had EQUAL parts, I'm guessin' you're a big Uncharted fan, ay? Stiil though, naming the finale after the Black Heart Procession song at the end of inFAMOUS 2 was a fine tribute, indeed, I must say, it gave me a few feels :fluttercry: As soon as I began reading it, I took a break to quickly sing something...

Whooooooaaaaa Whooaaaaaaoooohhhooh Whoa Whaooooaaahohohoaaa

Through this land of tragedy,
I try to find my way and in this town of misery,
I search for you
Now, we all go away...:fluttershysad::raritycry:

All in all, I enjoyed it immensely :pinkiehappy: Cheers, mate:twilightsmile:

Cole can be revived by lightning, couldn't he?

SEQUEL SEQUEL SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a sequel where cole is brought alive by a lightning bolt hitting his grave in a storm

If you do a sequel for this, I have a few ideas on people to use. If anything I want to see the assassin's bloodline continued with the inclusion of Edward Kenway. The rest I'll leave to you

3346612 3347211 Jumpstart his heart?

What happened to Strawberry?

WE WANT A SEQUEL DAMNIT! :flutterrage: :flutterrage:
Or how about a Splinter Cell Crossover?

3349034 If you have ideas, don't hesitate to send me a PM, I love hearing feedback. As for Edward though, he probably wouldn't be in it, but only because I plan on writing a story focusing on the Kenway family sometime once I've played AC4.

3350029 his body absorbs electricity, so in a way it constantly stimulates his heart to keep him alive, which is why I think he can be a bullet sponge and end up healing his wounds rapidly; what's already in him stays in him to keep his heart pumping, while the transformer, light post, etc. is used to regenerate his wounds

One thing bothered me why didn't Ezio use his smoke bombs or his eagle vision both could have been useful otherwise great story. For sequel may I suggest Dead Space.

Sequel! Sequel!

its awesome

Now we need the mass murdering phycopath known as, Johnny Gat to be included.

3474113
True true truly true

if there is a sequel

I propose the characters are shepard (mass effect) master chief (halo) guard gray (dragon age) conor (Assassins creed 3) the Demon Lord of the Round Table (ace combat zero XD) would clear a pegasus:rainbowdetermined2:

good story keep it up

3593671 and either one the characters in the Prototype (Game) series?

I recognize three of the four in the cover art. Whom is the guy in the hat?

3619899 John Marston, of Red Dead Redemption fame.

3620045 Thanks.^_^ I was never much into shooter type games, so that explains not knowing him.:\

3647137

wow that is really bad
i'm ot good at typing english but yhe
like to troll with things i can typ
tis massege doesn't count

3650596 yeah but I can see him saying that italian "che cazzo stai facendo" I think that's italian :derpytongue2:

3650596 yeah but I can see him saying that italian "che cazzo stai facendo" I think that's italian :derpytongue2:

3888972 derpy? not really but maybe a bit unfocused

3611538 Not either one, but the one who deserves it the most.
(MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION!)

3941939 The Avengers did come out before this. In fact, its what partially what inspired it in the first place.

However, the ending was mostly influenced by the ending of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

3593671 The threat would have to be extremely severe if you would have to call in not one, but two legends into this story. Master Chief and Shepherd would ultimately be like dropping nukes into a battlefield; the enemies wouldn't have a chance.:derpytongue2:

danm that was an amazingly written piece! loved it! thank you for writing this!

Just finished reading over the course of two days, and I must say, this was a very enjoyable story. The interactions between the characters was well written and the it had a nice mix of everything. Action, suspense, mystery, etc. This was a damn fine fic to read, and if you do plan on a sequel, I would be more than happy to read it.



~ Super-Brony12

I may have gone slightly overboard and made another quick piece of art for this fic. It's still one of my favourite fics on this site, and I think it's a cool thing to have for its 500 Upvote milestone.

i.imgur.com/aoGeu2i.png?3

Stay awesome.

Mex

Best story I've ever read, honest.

Best damn mother bucking crossover ever.

4463741 No, I figured it out by chapter 1.

This needs a follow up story of some sort, it too good to NOT have one.

Can>>3942487 can I make sequel?

3942487 Question, why did you yank ezio out instead of Desmond? Desmond was practically stealing his life, memories, and skills.

4781296

Good job with the copypasta.

4784062

Good job being nearly fourteen hours late.

When Luna says that we haven't been in space, is she talking about Marston and Ezio? Or are you being a fucktard?

4784446 Luna said that no human has even been able to travel to the planet closest to Earth. I don't recall her saying anything about them not being able to go to space at all.

I'm glad you asked your question in a mature manner though, using such eloquent language as well.

Login or register to comment