• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,075 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,075

PreviousChapters Next
Days Seem to Fly

Everything in the Crystal Empire shimmered, from the buildings to the streets to the ponies who lived there. Of course, ponies from all over had flocked to the Empire after it had reappeared, but the large majority of the Empire's citizens were crystal ponies.

It really was a glamorous place, even if it was different from what she was accustomed to. Though everything caught the light, every side of each building was perfectly angled so that not too many of them shined all at once and ended up a blinding nuisance. The whole of the Empire was planned with the utmost care and it showed.

That care also meant new buildings were few and far between, so when construction did happen, it was the talk of the Empire.

"Good morning, Miss!" a cheerful stallion chimed as Crystal trotted through the market. "Take a flyer, spread the word! Quills & Sofas has opened a store on Amorphous Avenue!" He held out a bright yellow piece of paper toward her.

Crystal's ears perked as she accepted the flyer. "Oh? Really?" The stallion nodded and the paper confirmed it with the advertisement of the grand opening of a Quills & Sofas store. "Perfect! This is just what I needed!"

A merry little hum gave her hooves a beat to follow as she navigated the streets toward her new destination. Quills & Sofas had been her haven as a foal. There would always be a soft spot in her heart for it, and now that soft spot had hardened into a need! Some piece of home had followed her to the Empire, and she was ready to greet it with open hooves.

Of course, when she arrived at the corner of Geode Gardens and Amorphous Avenue, her humming quieted. The street outside the store boasting a giant 'Grand Opening' banner was full of ponies clamoring to get inside, but more than that, it didn't look familiar at all. It was a bright blue building with several facets and grooves along the top and smooth sides.

Though her heart sunk and ached at the sight of it, she smiled and stood in line with the rest of the ponies. It was still a Quills & Sofas, even if it looked different. It had to, after all. This wasn't Canterlot; it was the Crystal Empire, and it had to match its architectural surroundings.

Ponies made their way into the store as others made their way out. Crystal's interest started to wane after half an hour had passed—or half a bell, as they called it in the Empire. The thought perked her back up as she giggled softly. Oh, the confusion she had felt the first time a crystal pony told her that her order would be ready in 'just a quarter of a bell'.

Finally, Crystal stepped through the doorway and into the shop proper. A smile took over as she stood on the tips of her hooves to get a better view over the crowd and she saw the familiar sight amidst the crystalline decor. There were aisles displaying all sorts of quills to one side of the store and sofas along the walls with a few rows to show off the newer models.

While some of the sofas were made of wood, most of them were shaped crystals to form the base and cushions for comfort. While the style had been considered cutting edge before the Empire had disappeared, it was far from modern, so to increase appeal the style had been named 'mid-millennium modern'.

All furniture from the Empire was, of course, primarily composed of gemstones. The traditional Empire style of decorating was to never use the same gemstone twice in one room, leaving homes to look like an explosion of rainbows. Red couches, blue tables, green chairs, yellow bookshelves, purple desks... It wasn't something Crystal was sure she was going to like.

That was when Crystal realized she was faced with a choice. She needed a sofa, and supporting her foalhood favorite store would make it that much better. But what style? The wooden ones would be more expensive due to the premium on importing them, but they reminded her of home.

However, Canterlot wasn't her home. The Crystal Empire was now. And she had to embrace that by buying a crystal sofa.

As she shuffled her way through the crowd, she spotted a large-plumed quill with little pink crystals adorning the shaft.

She would buy a crystal sofa, and maybe thirty or so bedazzled quills. She needed one in every color. And extras in case of emergency! And even more for gifts.

And that was how, in one trip to one store, Crystal blew past the forty bits, waved as she sailed on by, and dove into her own purse. She had scaled back on the quills when she saw the price of the sofa, deciding to keep it to two for herself and one as a gift for the next time she was in Canterlot.

Then she had gone on to purchased a cute bedspread with blue and pink embroidery, new sheets, a coffee table, a rug, shelves, a painting, and some secure strips to adhere things to the walls. Hammering nails or drilling screws into crystal walls just simply wasn't done, the salespony had informed her, and she had no reason to disagree.

All told, the bill was—oh, she didn't even want to think about it. But they were necessary expenses. A house just wasn't a home without personal touches! Everything was scheduled to be delivered that afternoon, and she still had just over an hour before her lunch with Lady Cadence.

What to do, what to do? She hummed in thought as she picked a street at random to wander down. She had spent plenty enough, so a free or highly inexpensive activity would be good. That ruled out more shopping or loitering at a cafe.

That was when her gaze drifted by and snapped back to a massive building not too far away. The library! A skip in her step urged her to move faster. Yes, curling up in the library with a nice book for a while was a perfect way to relax before she invariably worked herself up into a frenzy over the risk of making a fool of herself in front of Lady Cadence. And best of all, it was near the palace, so she didn't have to worry about being late if she got lost in a story.

Walking through the oversized double doors, Crystal lifted her gaze to admire the shelves of books that rose a full two stories along the walls of the open atrium. Veins of light ran throughout to provide a gentle glow to read by, and there was ample seating around every corner. It really was a haven for bibliophiles.

"Hello," the mare behind the counter said, offering the same warm smile that every Empire citizen had. Unlike the ones flashed in Canterlot, it felt genuine and sincere. "What brings you to the Lodestone Library?"

The glimmering appearance of crystal ponies had yet to lose its breathtaking impact for Crystal. The librarian was several different shades of blue, with an aquamarine coat, a tanzanite mane and tail, and turquoise eyes behind a pair of glasses. Crystal tried to smother her amused smile. It was hard to look at them and not see them as gemstones come to life.

Crystal finally replied, "Just hoping for a nice read before lunch."

The mare bobbed her head. "Well, are you looking for fiction or nonfiction?"

Crystal shifted. There was only really one genre that interested her, but she felt her cheeks heat up with embarrassment at the thought of saying it to a complete stranger. "I, well." She cleared her throat and glanced around. Perhaps she could spend her time better than by getting lost in a fantasy. "I've just recently moved here, you see, so I was wondering if I could learn more about the Crystal Empire."

There was an unnerving pause before the mare's eyes seemed to shimmer with delight. Slowly, she rose from her seat, walked around the bench, and offered a hoof to Crystal. "You have come to the right pony, ma'am. If there is anything to know about the Empire's history, then I am your mare."

"Oh?" Crystal smiled and shook the hoof, only to find that it hadn't been held out to her in greeting. The moment their hooves touched, the librarian held on and started dragging her across the floor. "O-Oh!"

"My name is Sapphire Pageturn, and for the next three hours, I am going to take you on a journey back in time."

Crystal swallowed. "Three hours? I'm afraid I only have an hour to spare."

Sapphire stopped in her tracks, Crystal nearly stumbling from the sudden halt. "What?" She looked at Crystal with a frown. "You want me to encapsulate the entirety of the Crystal Empire's history in an hour?"

"No?" Crystal practically squeaked. "I was just hoping you could recommend a good book for me to read?"

Sapphire scrunched up her nose, huffed, and let go of Crystal's hoof. "Do you want to learn or not?"

After a brief moment of wondering what she had just unleashed and how to react, Crystal settled on a light smile. "Would you be agreeable to a one hour lesson, a lunch break, and then reconvene for the remainder?"

"I suppose that's only fair." Sapphire nodded and hooked her foreleg around Crystal's to continue her marching mission. "Good. Then let's not waste any time."

Lady Cadence had a hoof over her mouth to poorly conceal a grin. "And so you will be leaving here to return to your lesson?"

Crystal sighed from where she sat across from Cadence on one of the palace balconies, two teacups and a plate of tiny sandwiches set out for lunch. "Don't get me wrong, Lady Cadence, I—"

"Please, you don't need to call me that. I get enough of that formal business from your husband." Cadence giggled and levitated a sandwich from the plate to take a bite.

Crystal gave a reluctant nod. "If you insist."

"I certainly do." She waved a hoof. "Now, continue, what shouldn't I get you wrong about?"

"The things Sapphire is teaching me are interesting." Crystal lifted her teacup to her lips before continuing in a mumble, "But I had just wanted to read a romance novel, that was all."

A chime of laughter bubbled up as Cadence tossed her head back. "And now you're learning the entire history of the Empire! What's not romantic about that? You have the two key elements of a good romance: longing and desire." The smile on her face didn't match the mischief in her eyes. "For something other than what you're doing, but the sentiments are there."

Crystal couldn't help but laugh as well. "Well, when all is said and done, perhaps I'll campaign against you to be the next governor. I'll surely know enough about the Empire to impress the citizens."

"I look forward to the challenge." Cadence raised her brow. "Just remember that I am bigger than you."

"Ponies like to root for the little pony," Crystal retorted, sitting up straight and putting on a serious face.

They stared at each other a while longer before laughing once more. After a break to enjoy the cucumber and ranch sandwiches, Crystal leaned back in her seat and looked out across the glimmering city.

Cadence smiled as a cool breeze drifted by, stirring the curls of her mane. "How are you adjusting to life here?"

"Hmm?" Crystal shifted her gaze to Cadence and tilted her head. "Well enough, I suppose. The ponies are much happier and friendlier here."

The corners of Cadence's mouth dipped just enough for her smile to near a straight line. "But it's not home yet, is it?"

Crystal blinked and quickly waved a hoof. "That's not it at all! It—" She winced when Cadence just stared at her. "It—It isn't, no, but it will be. I'll make it a home." Her own smile returned. "Silent's here with me, and that's what's important." With a small giggle, she inclined her head toward her saddlebags resting against the wall. "But speaking of making my house a home, I was unpacking some boxes this morning and found something for your amusement."

Cadence perked up and her ears gave a small wiggle. "Is that so?"

"It is." Crystal's magic opened the flap and levitated a wrapped item over. "I almost forgot I had this, to be honest."

With utmost care but an eager smile, Cadence undid the wrapping and, upon seeing the contents, froze. She slowly lifted her gaze. "Oh, sweetie."

Crystal felt the color drain from her face. "I—"

"You bought these?" A dinner plate featuring Cadence's likeness stared back at its namesake. "I wouldn't have expected a mare like you to fall for the 'Royal Wedding' merchandise fiasco."

Crystal tried to swallow the lump in her throat. "I'm so sorry," she said in a voice as tiny as she felt, her ears falling to the sides. "Velvet and I, we—"

Cadence sighed. It was a light and airy sound, but it weighed heavy on Crystal's mind. Without another word, Cadence got up from her seat and gestured for Crystal to follow. "It's a shame what they did to my wedding. The plates, the dolls, the action figures, the comic books..." She rolled her eyes. "Do you remember that 'Precreating the Royal Wedding' article? They 'precreated' my dress right out of my hooves! Do you think I was going to wear the dress they guessed I would wear even though it was the one I wanted?"

"Cadence, I'm so—"

A raised hoof cut her off and they walked in silence down a corridor and into Cadence's office. Cadence led her over to a china cabinet set against one wall, turned to face her, and grinned. Crystal flinched back until she noted the expression looking at her, chanced a peek at the display case, and gasped.

The likenesses of Cadence and Shining Armor filled every shelf. Things Crystal had never even seen in the stores during the lead-up to their wedding! Little glass chalices with their faces carved into the stems, candle holders in the shapes of their cutie marks, bottles of wine with the labels themed with their colors... Crystal stared in awe.

"I have the complete set of everything!" Cadence exclaimed, an excited squeak in her voice. "Who couldn't! Who wouldn't!"

Crystal sucked in a breath and glanced between the cabinet and Cadence. "You—You—You scared me! I thought you were mad!"

Giggling, Cadence shook her head. "Of course not! But the opportunity presented itself for me to see for myself if what your friend wrote to me was true or not. And it was."

"My who wrote what?" Crystal furrowed her brow.

Cadence walked over to her desk and sat down, folding her hooves on the tabletop. "I suppose I'm not supposed to share this, but as governor I am entitled to make the rules." She sat up straight and with all the regality in the world. "On the day of your arrival, among the usual mail was a letter from somepony in Canterlot. I recognized the name Velvet Step and read it straight away."

Crystal's ears pinned back. "What did she say?"

"She wrote to inform me that you are a delight to tease and cute when pouting." Cadence wagged a hoof. "And I agree that both are so!"

Crystal groaned and rolled her eyes in spite of her smile. "Halfway across Equestria and she still finds a way to torture me."

"Isn't that what true friends are for?" Cadence winked.

The smile on Crystal's face widened and she relented with a nod. Maybe not for some ponies. But for her, it was. She could easily imagine Velvet's wicked grin had the mare been there to see her wilting under the fear of Cadence's ire.

Yet somehow the thought made her feel terribly homesick. Cadence was too full of sugar and sweet to be the master troll that Velvet was. She hadn't realized until that moment how much she would miss the teasing, the taunting, the suggestively shaped desserts, and the vulgar accusations.

Crystal swallowed the sudden heartache and smiled. She would see Velvet in less than a week. It would only be for two days, however, so she would have to make sure to give Velvet every opportunity possible to make her blush.

"I'm home," Silent called, two words Crystal still loved to hear. He stopped just barely inside the doorway and looked around. "Oh, wow. Somepony was busy today."

Crystal hopped off the couch and trotted over to greet him with a light kiss. "Doesn't it look great? I still have so many boxes to unpack, but we have a real couch now!"

He kissed her cheek, though his attention and gaze were preoccupied with looking around the living room. The remaining boxes were stacked in the bedroom to keep them out of sight, leaving the main space to seem like a perfectly normal, lived-in home.

"You did great, honey," he finally said and smiled at her. "I'm impressed. I just thought you were going to buy a couch."

Crystal felt her heart flutter with a moment of panic. Was he suspicious of how she had spent the bits? She watched as he started to remove his armor. "Oh, well, you know. They opened a Quills & Sofas shop, so they had a grand opening sale." Which was true!

"Did they?" He inclined his head toward her, smiling. "That's nice. Luna likes that store." There was a falter in his smile as he said the name, but before she could say anything about it, he looked back at the armor stand to finish undressing. "Well, the couch looks great." He walked over to it and flopped down. "Feels great, too. Good choice."

With a lash of her tail to release the pent-up anxiety, Crystal made her way into the kitchen. "I'm glad you like it. I also got us a new bedspread and sheets."

Silent stretched out on his back and yawned. "You must be great at finding good deals."

"Well." She flicked the stove on and set the kettle on a burner. "Unlike in Canterlot, the vendors here don't mind haggling. That certainly helps." Which was also true!

"Oh, that's interesting. Well, whatever works." When she glanced over at him, she saw a smile on his face as he continued, "I'm just glad you're making yourself comfortable here. I know it's not like what you're used to in Canterlot."

She waved a hoof. "I'm adaptable! Besides, with the boxes out of sight, I can put them out of mind and do some writing. I know it's still early in the month, but I want to get my next serial to Sunset as soon as possible. I've fallen out of my writing habit and that just won't do."

"What's this next one about?"

The heartwarming feeling of characters dancing about in her mind filled her chest as she recalled her outline. "This one will last me a few months, perhaps. Just a short tale about a princess and a stablehoof who tends to the royal herd of cattle and sheep." She giggled as she put the kettle on and walked over to the couch.

Silent shifted to make room for her to sit and gazed up at her. "You really do like writing about princes and princesses, don't you?"

Crystal smiled and playfully bopped him on the nose. "Ponies like reading about princes and princesses, so yes."

"Mmhm." He raised one brow. "I see, so you're saying you have no interest in being a princess. I'll keep that in mind."

"Now, I didn't say that." She leaned down to loom over him with an attempt at an intimidating expression. "It depends on what kind of princess I would be."

"A pretty one?" he offered, grinning as he was rewarded with a laugh.

Crystal tried to straighten up, but his hoof caught the back of her head and pulled her in for an upside-down kiss. "You're such a flatterer," she mumbled against his lips.

"I try." His ears wiggled. "So how does the lowly stablehoof woo the pretty princess?"

"Oh, how presumptuous! In fact, he doesn't." She clicked her tongue, straightening up. "You have it backwards. The princess woos the stablehoof."

Silent shifted to put his head in her lap and closed his eyes. "While you wait for the water to boil, why don't you tell me their story?"

Crystal smiled down at him, ran her hoof through his mane, and started, "Well, the stablehoof started out as a regular farmer of no real consequence. One day, in the middle of a storm, he rescued a mare from a herd of stampeding cows, only to discover she was a princess. She rewarded his deed by giving him a position as the royal stablehoof, and..."

Author's Note:

Once we watched a lazy world go by
Now the days seem to fly

If you have enjoyed this story so far, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next