• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 2,327 Views, 13 Comments

The Trouble With Fillies - Spazzy Jamz



Spike has his hands full when the CMC compete for his affection.

  • ...
3
 13
 2,327

Post-Capture Meet-Up At The Clubhouse

"Applejack! Can Ah go play with Scootaloo an' Sweetie Belle now?"

"Have ya finished your chores like you were supposed to?"

"Yup! Chickens fed, room cleaned, dishes done..."

"Okay, okay, Ah'm convinced. Go on ahead, but be back before dark."

Apple Bloom sprung up with glee and raced up the creaky wooden stairs to her bedroom. She flung open her wardrobe and pulled the maroon cloth down from the hook on which it hung, anxious to meet up with the others. The blank-flanked earth pony left her room and bounced down the stairs, struggling to slip on the cape. Once she had, she readjusted the bow in her mane and zoomed out the front door with barely a passing glance to her older sister, making a beeline dash for the Cutie Mark Crusader Clubhouse.

Earlier that day, the trio were exploring the Whitetail Woods outside of Ponyville as part of a project for school on urban legends. The girls read in Twilight's library about a crazed pony who lived in those woods and captured small ponies for his own thrill and amusement. Looking to debunk the myth, the three sat out for the woods, but soon realized the myth was as real as anything else when Sweetie Belle was caught in a classic rope snare. Luckily for them, they were rescued by Spike and Twilight's colt-friend, Tristan Shay - or, to the citizens of Ponyville, Star Skipper - and escaped after a minor run-in with the hunt-obsessed pony himself.

The sun sat low in the sky, giving the atmosphere a pleasant orange glow. The trees that stood tall around it cast long shadows across the grassy earth as Apple Bloom finally arrived at the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse. Her best friends and fellow Crusaders Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo had already arrived and were giddily awaiting her at the top of the walkway.

"Hey, Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle greeted, waving a hoof.

"We wondered if you were gonna make it," added Scootaloo.

"Sorry, girls," Apple Bloom replied as she ascended the walkway, "Had to do some chores around the farm before sis would let me come hang out."

"No worries," said Scootaloo, nodding towards the interior of the clubhouse, "Should we go ahead and get started?"

"Absolutely!" agreed Sweetie Belle. She followed the other two fillies inside and shut the door behind her. "What's our first order of business?"

"Well," began Apple Bloom, "Ah think we're gonna have to find a new subject for our school project."

Scootaloo threw a hoof into the air. "But we saw him! We actually had an encounter with the legendary crazed pony of Whitetail Woods, and you just wanna throw it away?!"

"I agree with Apple Bloom," Sweetie Belle replied, "Nopony would believe we actually saw him, and after being caught by him, I'd rather forget the whole thing."

"Come on, not you too," Scootaloo groaned.

"Ah'm just glad we made it out okay," added Apple Bloom, "We probably woulda been done for if Tristan an' Spike hadn't shown up."

Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement. "Thank goodness they found us. Tristan was so brave to stand up to Swift Gleam like that."

"We can't forget Spike!" Scootaloo chimed in, "He was just as brave as Tristan was! He was ready to fight, I could tell."

"An' did you see how he climbed up that tree to cut Sweetie Belle down?" Apple Bloom reminded, adding to the group's excitement, "He was so fast! Ya gotta be strong to be able to climb a tree trunk like he did!"

"Did you know," Sweetie Belle began, "That when they were all in Tristan's world, Spike actually asked my sister out?"

The jaws of Apple Bloom and Scootaloo dropped. "What?!" they cried in unison.

"He totally did, but Rarity turned him down. She said it was because he was too young for her and because he's a dragon."

"Are you kidding me?" asked Scootaloo, slightly annoyed with Rarity's decision. "Spike is awesome! Who cares if he's a dragon? Anypony would be lucky to have him, and I mean anypony."

"Yup," Apple Bloom dreamily sighed, "He sure is a swell dragon."

"Hey!" exclaimed Sweetie Belle, "Spike may not be Rarity's age, but he's definitely my age! Maybe I should date him!"

"In your dreams!" retorted Scootaloo, "He'd rather be seeing an awesome pony like me!"

"He had a really big thing for my sister, and I'm a lot more like my sister than you are, so he'd obviously pick me."

"You're both wrong," Apple Bloom interjected, "He'd much rather be with a sweet, and must I say cute, country gal, which would be me."

"Maybe the three of us can share him?" Scootaloo suggested.

Apple Bloom furrowed her brow. "Something tells me that a love rectangle wouldn't end very well at all."

The three fillies exhaled a breath of defeat sat on the clubhouse floor in thought. Here were three ponies who each had their own school-filly crush on the town's only baby dragon. How could they decide who gets to be his marefriend? Their young minds wandered for a minute or two before Scootaloo bounced back up, wings aflutter with excitement.

"We could make a game out of it!" she beamed, finally breaking the silence.

"What do ya mean, a game?" asked Apple Bloom, tilting her head.

"Whoever can get a kiss from Spike first gets to be his marefriend!"

"Rarity said that throwing yourself at someone for attention is 'simply uncouth'," Sweetie Belle stated, hanging on to her sister's moral code.

"Then we won't! We'll just be really subtle about it, and it's perfectly fair since it's Spike's decision as far as who he kisses, so we're not really throwing ourselves at him."

"Ah don't know," said Apple Bloom. The tone of her voice was one of doubt and concern. "That sounds pretty deceitful, Scootaloo."

"Well, obviously you two don't like him as much as I do, so this'll be a piece of cake."

"As if!" Sweetie Belle protested.

"There's no way you of all ponies could be subtle about somethin' like this," Apple Bloom added, "Ah could easily get Spike if Ah wanted to."

"Then it's settled!" Scootaloo declared, "The game is on! The prize is the right to date Spike! May the best Crusader win!"

"Don't worry, I will," teased Sweetie Belle, giving a playful wink.

"We'll just see about that!" said Apple Bloom. She glanced out of the window and gasped. The sun had sunk lower into the sky and was beginning to disappear behind the horizon. She quickly stood up. "It's almost sundown! Ah gotta get home or Applejack will scold me somethin' fierce!"

"Yeah, I should be getting home, too," replied Scootaloo, who was making her way to the door of the clubhouse.

"Same here," added Sweetie Belle. She got up and followed her friends outside, down the walkway, and onto the grass. "I'm sure Rarity won't be too happy if I stayed out any later."

Scootaloo strapped on her helmet and stood atop her trusty scooter. "The game starts tomorrow! Rest up, girls! You're gonna need it if you wanna beat me!"

The fillies laughed and went their separate ways. They kept a calm pace until they were out of each other's sight, then kicked themselves into high gear.

"Ah've got this in the bag," Apple Bloom told herself, "Just gotta put a little down-home charm on him and he'll be putty in mah hooves!"

"Those two are delusional," Sweetie Belle whispered, "If I can show Spike that I'm just as elegant as Rarity, he'll practically beg me to date him!"

"They have no clue what they're up against," said Scootaloo, flapping her wings faster to gain more speed, "Spike wants to be with a pony that's just as awesome as him, if not more awesome, and that pony is me!"

The three fillies each smirked and, with determined mindsets, made their bold declaration for victory.

"I'm gonna win, and Spike will be all mine!"

Author's Note:

"Spazzy Says!"

Well, guys, here we go again! The start of a new story! I'm really excited to be bringing this to you and I hope you guys really enjoy it! There's plenty of shenanigans ahead, as you probably already guessed, and there may even be a surprise or two in store!

I realize that this is a pretty short chapter, but the others will be a little more lengthy, so please stick around! I'm sure you don't wanna miss what lies ahead!

Don't forget to leave your comments in the nifty little space below and, as always, keep being awesome!

~Spazzy Jamz