• Published 1st Aug 2015
  • 590 Views, 15 Comments

The Chronicles of Moonshade part 2 - Kix



Moonshade is trying to reconcile with her past actions and prove she isn't the mare she was.

  • ...
3
 15
 590

Chapter Five; Sweet Apple Acres part 2

"Sugarcube, Ah'm the Element o' Honesty, an’ Ah’m tellin’ ya that those words are a lie. There are plenty o' ponies that love ya. Fer example, yer mother, Princess Luna an’ yer aunt, Princess Celestia. Then there is Lily, Sunstreak, Almond and o' course us. None o' us wanna see somethin’ bad happen ta ya." The sweaty farmer says to me while getting down onto all fours so she is at my level while staring into my eyes. Meanwhile, Twilight has disappeared for some reason. "Don' listen ta those thick skulled idiots who don' wanna get ta know ya. Yer a bright, beautiful mare with a good personality. Ya were jus’ confused an’ lied ta.”

As I listento her words I only somewhat believe them, especially the part about me being beautiful and bright. But yet, she’s the Element of Honesty, would she really lie to me? And if so, why?

‘You know the reasons why. They fear you and what you are capable of, so they need to come up with a way to control you.’

Shut up, please. I… I don’t want to hear it anymore.

glancing up at the farmer I notice four ponies approaching the farm as the sun is getting ready to go down for the night, bathing everything in an orangish glow. Seeing what I'm looking at Applejack smiles brightly as she instantly recognizes the quartet. "C'mon, Ah know jus’ the spot fer ya ta camp out at." She states as we're joined up by Twilight, Lily, Sunstreak and Almond.

"Hey Moon I'm glad you invited us to be your camping buddies. You've spent all day with Princess Twilight and her friends we were worried you forgot about us." Lily tries to make a joke as she hugs me tight followed by the other two.

As we follow AJ to wherever she has in mind, the other four stay next to me without crowding me. While they are deep in conversation I mentally withdraw, only giving slight verbal cues to pretend I’m paying attention, the events of earlier today still playing in my mind.

So unfocused am I that I don’t even realize the others have stopped until I find my muzzle buried in the apple farmer’s flank, which earns me a round concerned looks. "We heard about what happened today, we're glad nothing bad happened.Are you sure you’ll be alright?" Almond asks while Twilight begins to unload the single, large tent which is soon erected and the sleeping bags are unrolled inside. At the same time Applejack begins to dig out a shallow hole and then surrounds it with large rocks.

As the others get to work on preparing everything, I look around the spot that was picked out for us. We’re on a bare hill that overlooks a large swath of the orchard, the green and red mixed trees extend for what seems like miles, and there is not a hint of Ponyville or even Canterlot in site. The sky looks like it is on fire, with the mixtures of red, orange and yellow coloring it, broken up by black clouds. While I stand there, watching in aw at the beauty of it, my ears finally register the various sounds of the local wildlife. If I could, I’d rather live here. It’s so… isolated and peaceful. I wonder if AJ would mind if I… no, I can’t do that to her. Besides, she won’t go along with it, she just wants to impress Twilight.

Once everything is setup I am finally broken out of my stupor by a very light shaking. Twilight and Lily look at me, but don’t say anything, despite their expressions obviously saying they have questions. Cut up wood and twigs are placed inside the hole and soon a comforting fire is started, mimicking the sky from earlier. A round of hugs and good nights are exchanged before Twilight and Applejack take off, leaving us alone for the night.

"Ever had s'mores before Moonshade?" Sun asks as he begins to shape the tips of four twigs. Almond grabs a few large bags of marshmallows, numerous chocolate bars and graham cracker boxes from his pack. Lily works on setting up four logs that I didn’t realize were there into a broken circle around the firepit. Maybe Twilight summoned them or something.

"No, what are they?" I manage to keep my voice at least neutral as I ask while watching them as they spear the fluffy white cylinders with the sticks, then hover the marshmallows over the embers of the once crackling fire.

"They are very sweet sandwich like treat, though kinda messy. Here, have one of mine." Lily responds as she places her now warm and slightly golden marshmallow atop a piece of the chocolate, the graham crackers pieces form the top and bottom of the sandwich. The little square dribbles a small glob of melted marshmallow out of the sides as it is offered to me.

Glancing at her, then the offered treat I hesitantly take the s’more and pop it into my mouth. Chocolate and sugar explode on my tastebuds and a moan of pleasure issues from my throat as I chew the mess slowly, though something sticks to my teeth, tongue and even the roof of my mouth.

As I finish my eyes light up and for the second time today I can feel a true smile beginning to decorate my muzzle. "You're right, that is good." Now encouraged I grab another piece of fluff and the unused stick, placing the soon to be treat over the embers. However the once white snack turns black quickly. In surprise I yank it out, only to find it on fire. "What did I do wrong? Why isn't mine burnt, unlike yours?"

"You just left it over the embers too long and held it to close to the hottest area, plus you forgot to slowly turn it. Here, try again." Lily tries to keep from laughing as the ruined marshmallow is replaced by a fresh one. This time it's held just barely above the glowing coals. "That's just the right spot to cook it. Also keep turning it slowly, you want the brown to coat evenly."

As we continue to make more of the snacks, the trio begins to swap stories and telling jokes, the serenity of the chosen site along with stories and laughter begin to take effect as I feel the dark hole inside me shrink a little. "We never mentioned it before, but the three of us are old friends. We went to the same school together. Hey you guys remember the prank Chuckles played on the teacher?" Lily mentions after some time, probably due to my silence and withdrawal from the conversation. My ears perk a bit at the possible story.

"Oh jeez, who could ever forget that. He had Mr. Frost running around like crazy for the whole day." Sun can barely stay in his seat as he answers between bursts of laughter, holding his sides.

"Chuckles wasn't his real name, it's a nickname we gave to him and he lived up to it. Well, one day our teacher left his coffee mug and the cream alone while he left the room to do something. I don't know what Chuckles did exactly, but after he finished his coffee Mr. Frost was running around faster than a hyperactive foal on a sugar rush, even his words were rushed and he couldn't sit still. Earned Chuckles a month's worth of detention, but it was worth it." Almond explains as the others continue to giggle.

"So Moon, did you go to school?" Lily asks as she tries to control her chuckling. A small smile lifts my lips a bit as I search my memories for the one day I spent in school.

"I did, but only for a day. I remember that whole day. That’s when I learned I could control shadows. Momma and Tia were surprised and a bit fearful about that." I start while staring into the coals, the tiny flames able to create the images of that day as I recall it from the depths of my memory. "I was so excited to start I could barely sleep. Both momma and Celestia taught me so much already at that point. But the one thing I couldn't wait for the most was to make friends and meet new ponies. I begged and begged mom to let me go until she finally caved. I guess… I guess her and auntie were worried that if it became known who I was it might have put me in danger."


As I begin to tell them about that day, a tear falls from my eyes as I weep for my lost fillyhood, wishing I could go back and change the events of the past.
~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

"Well class, it's the first day of the new school year and we have a few new students who are just joining us. Would you please come to the front and introduce yourselves." The older stallion says encouragingly as the room begins to settle down and all conversation comes to an end. His coat is a dull blue and his mane is light grey with streaks of dull violet. The classroom is not too big, seating around thirty students ranging from my age to a few years older.

At the invitation I bound forward along with two other foals. The first one introduces herself as Bubbles Jet, a light blue unicorn with a mane and tail of white. The other foal is Kindle, a red and orange mix colt with a mane and tail looking like fire. As he finishes its my turn, I can barely contain myself.

"Hi, I'm Moonshade and you wouldn't believe who my momma and aunt are. Anyway, I live in the castle and it’s pretty fun finding all the secret passages hidden about, though it does get a little boring since I'm the only foal that lives there. I'm really excited to meet everypony and try to make some friends." As I finish I notice that a few ponies in the back are whispering to each other but I ignore them and continue to smile eagerly. It took me a few moments, but realizing what I have said I bring my hooves to my mouth, looking a bit fearful.

"Well Moonshade, it's a big pleasure to have you join us. Now please take your seat and we'll begin." As I sit down I eagerly begin taking notes, hanging on to every word the teacher says. In a quiet voice the filly next to me extends her hoof with a wide smile and closed eyes once she catches my attention.

"I'm Sweet Hearts, nice to meet you, Moonshade." The very light pink unicorn filly with a red and white striped mane says as we shake. That is all she has said as the teacher goes on about what the courses for the upcoming year are going to be about.

"So, you live all alone in that big castle?" She asks as we break for recess, which eventually comes around after a few hours of waiting and listening to the teacher. As we make our way to the playground.

"Not really alone. There's momma and auntie, the guards and the servants. But as I said I'm the only foal." I explain again as Sweet Hearts hops on the merry-go-round, which I follow. With a smile she leans half in and half out of the disc and with a grunt of effort she begins to push against one of the bars, starting to slowly spin the metal disc.

As we start picking up speed, she jumps into one of the spaces, our hooves holding tight to the rails as we start to slide towards the open end while she tries to use her magic to make us go even faster.

"Y- YOU'RE RELATED TO... OOMPH." Sweet begins as I guess she has made the connection between the words mom and auntie and the occupants of the castle. Her surprised shout l is cut off when she loses her grip and falls onto the ground. Before she can resume I jump on her and put my hoof over her mouth.

"Shh please. No pony is supposed to find out who I'm related to, at least, not yet according to momma. Please, don't tell anypony." As she nods I remove my hoof slowly and she promises to keep my secret. As we get up it's time to resume class apparently as the teacher stands just outside the doorway.

"Hey! you're gonna make me late now!" I shout as I feel a tug on my tail, watching with a smile as Sweet sticks her tongue out at me as she races for the door.

"Last one inside is a rotten egg, Moon." She calls out with a giggle, causing me to giggle as well while I rush to try and beat her to no avail.

Eventually the day comes to an end and with a hoof shake we get ready to depart. "It was so nice meeting you, Sweet. Maybe soon I can talk about letting you visit the castle."

"I'd love that, maybe even have a sleepover. Take care, Moony."

"Take care, Sweets."

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

"That.. that was the only day I spent in school, then the nightmare happened and---" Cutting myself off, I glance down to the ground, my voice and posture getting a bit more depressed than when I started.

"Shh, it's ok, Moon. We didn't mean for you to drag up something so upsetting." Lily calmly speaks as she finishes making my forgotten s'more and hands it to me. "You have new friends now, Moon. Ones who hate seeing you so sad and down all the time. I know you haven't made friends since you were your… old self, but have you ever had a pet growing up?"

"No, what's so special about having a pet?" I look up at her curiously, my head tilting towards her as it hangs to my chest.

"Think of them like miniature friends who happen to be animals. They can be there to cheer you up even if nopony else can spare the time." Almond says cheerfully as the s'more supplies begin to quickly disappear.

"I'll… I’ll Give it a try,” Yawn “I think it's about time we go to sleep, guys." I add as I notice the others are also yawning and rubbing their eyes. Once everypony is ready for bed the embers are extinguished and the only light is mother's moon and the stars as we pile inside. Unexpectedly, Lily drags her sleeping bag right next to me and zips hers to join with mine. "Wh- what are you doing?"

"Relax, Moon. It might help if somepony were to hold onto you while sleeping. I used to do it with my younger sister when we were fillies whenever she was sad or scared. I don't know how much you know but having one of the guys do it could cause trouble even if they don't fancy you. Do you understand what I mean?"

"No, you'll have to explain tomorrow when I can think better." The trio laugh at my answer as we settle down for the night. I find it a bit weird, yet not uncomfortable, to have a mare who isn't my mother holding onto me as we sleep. For the first time in a very long time I actually sleep peacefully throughout the night and without any dreams that I can remember.

"Well isn't that a cute sight to behold, got your camera?" Lazily I swat at the general location of the intruding voice with a groan, unwilling to open my eyes as I just want to continue to sleep peacefully. After a couple more minutes and frowning at the loud shuffling, Lily and I are jolted awake by a blinding flash and the sounds of something clicking. The resultant jump and tumble get us tangled up in the sleeping bag and blankets.

"WHAT THE HAY WAS THAT FOR YOU GUYS?" Lily's shout sends the pair stumbling backwards, a mix of fear and held back laughter is evident on their faces. "AND WHAT ARE YOU TWO TRYING SO HARD NOT TO LAUGH AT?"

"Hey Lily, have you seen your mane and tail just after you wake up?" I ask as I start to untangle myself with a giggle.

"Ugh! Just… what did you guys take a picture of exactly?" She retorts while standing up, a brush in her hoof as she begins to work on her mane. "Any particular plans for today, Moon?"

"Well, if you wanna see, here, take a look." Almond offers the picture to Lily, the duo chuckling as she stares at it with an open mouth. Curiously I take a look as well, blushing a bit at the sight. In the picture it shows both me and Lily with her holding me super tight against her, my back against her chest. All four of her legs are wrapped around my chest and waist with my own limbs entwined with hers. Finally I notice that my ear is somewhat in her mouth, but isn't being bitten hard.

"That is a cute image, don't you agree Sunstreak?"

"Yea it is, I wonder what those were dreaming of. I'm guessing for Lily it's that she was munching on an oversized carrot. No idea though on what Moon was dreaming of, musta been a good one, however with how big she's smiling."

"Ugh, no matter WHAT you two gutterbrains are thinking right now it was an accident, nothing more and nothing less. Now can we see about eating then getting cleaned up, please?" Lily mumbles out with a sigh and annoyed flick of her tail.

"Hey, no need to get defensive Lily. You should know how we feel about that." Almond teases as he gives her noogie, messing her mane up again, leaving me completely clueless as to what is going on, casually making our way to small pond they must have been told about on the property.

"Hey Lily, why are those two being so mean to you all of a sudden? Aren’t they your friends?" I ask as we separate from the guys and walk into the water.

"Well, I've never really been on a date before and I never really shown any interest in any pony romantically. Those two have tried hooking me up a few times with their friends in the past, but they never worked out." Her answer is uncharacteristically sad as she slouches a little while standing there.

"Have you tried one of them? You three seem like good enough friends."

"No, they're not interested in me romantically, they see me only as a younger sister." My confused look causes Lily to giggle and continue.

"You really are clueless aren't you? We'll need to do some studying on the topic of romance and love sometime in the future."

"Uhm ok I gue-- Oh. hey, Twilight." I interrupt myself as I notice the purple alicorn who spoke up during her approach.

At my greeting both myself and Lily stop before we could begin to get into a wrestling match, though our bodies are somewhat entangled already as I try to dunk the other mare.

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry it took so long for me to update. I've been busy with work and other story projects.

Comments ( 2 )

Wow Moonie is as clueless as Twilight in that department. Let's see how this relationship goes.

Kix

Lol, I have no idea what you are talking about:raritywink:

Login or register to comment