• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 13,546 Views, 347 Comments

Equestria's Rifleman - Cheesecake404



Ponyville has a new protector, but nopony knows what it is. It lives in the Everfree Forest and makes itself known when it kills a monster. Many think it's just superstition, others think it's a real creature. In truth, it's a human with a rifle.

  • ...
107
 347
 13,546

Chapter 5: Time in Town

Time in Town

David woke up at his usual time. He had forgotten how comfortable a bed was and contemplated sleeping in. However, he remembered he was in a farmhouse, and if he wanted to join the family for breakfast, he would need to get up now or even earlier. As he got out of bed, he saw his clothes neatly folded on the dresser. He made the bed, then got dressed. It didn’t take long before he had gathered his things together and put them back where they belong.

He left his rifle on the desk, thinking he wasn't going to need it anytime soon. Heading downstairs, the smell of pancakes and fresh maple syrup brought promise of another delicious meal. As he reached the dining room, he saw the Apple family sitting at the table with food out in front of them.

“Good mornin',” Granny Smith said, “Would you care to join us?”

“Yes, thank you,” David said is he took an open seat next to Big Macintosh, “You weren't waiting for me, were you?”

“Nah, we just set everything out. But we did set a place for you if you wanted to join us.”

“Thanks, again.”

“How'd ya sleep last night?” Applejack asked.

“Really well, though I did have a weird dream about colonial America.”

“What?”

“I'll tell you later.”

There was a bit more small talk as they ate. David didn't speak much, unless he was asked a direct question. He felt a little intimidated sitting next to Big Mac, though he didn't think Big McIntosh was someone who would hurt him for no reason. Still, best to be on your best behavior when sitting next to someone who has at least twice your muscle mass.

“So, what are ya plannin' on doin’ today?” Applejack asked David.

“Oh, I was thinking of going into town to check in with Twilight to see if the paperwork for me becoming a citizen is in yet. After that, well... I don't know. I could come back here and help you guys out with something.”

Big Mac chuckled, “No offense, but you seem more like a city slicker than somepony who could handle this type of work.”

“I may have a grown up in the city, but I'm tougher than I look. I did survive a year in the Everfree Forest, after all.”

“Ah guess you did. But that don't mean you have what it takes to buck trees.”

“Maybe not, but I can do other things.”

Big Mac glared at David, and he glared back. The two were sizing each other up, though David had no delusions of being able to outmatch Big Macintosh when it came to brute strength, but he had a feeling it wasn't about strength, toughness, or anything like that. Instead, it was more of a judge of character.

After what seem like an eternity Big Macintosh smiled and laughed, “Ah think I'm beginning to like you,” he said as he slapped David on the back.

Unfortunately, intentional or not, the force of the blow knocked David's face into his plate. As he set back up, he showed prominently a pancake stuck to his face. Everyone started laughing at him, even him. The pancake did soon peel off though, and landed back on the plate.

I'm still going to eat that, David thought to himself.

“Sorry 'bout that. Sometimes, Ah don't know mah own strength,” Big Mac apologized.

“That's alright. Can I just get a wet towel or something?”

“I'll get it,” Apple Bloom said as she got up from the table and went into the kitchen.

“So, is it anything I can help with?” David asked while he waited for Apple Bloom.

“No need to concern yourself with us,” Granny Smith said, “You just go out and get used to the town. We'll be okay without you.”

“If you're sure?”

“O' course I'm sure. I'm always sure!”

“Alright then. I just feel a little like... I'm taking advantage.”

“Don't worry. We'll kick ya out long before that happens,” Granny Smith said with a smirk.

Everyone laughed again as Apple Bloom return with the towel. As David wiped his face off he felt a sense of joy, he hadn't felt in a long time, a feeling of being a part of a family, but these feelings would have to wait. He still had some work to do.

______________________________

Applejack and Apple Bloom accompanied David into town. Applejack was pulling a cart that her and her family used to sell their apples. Apple Bloom had the day off from school, so she decided to tag along. Once they reached the marketplace, Applejack set up her stall. She also tried to give David a bag of bits for lunch and other expenses, but David declined. He didn't feel right taking the money, so she gave it to Apple Bloom.

“Still goin' to see Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“That's the plan,” David replied.

“Well, alright. Just be careful now.”

“Don't worry, sis. I'll be there to make sure he don't get lost or nothin',” Apple Bloom said.

“That's right,” David said, while messing up Apple Bloom's hair.

“Just make sure to have her back at the house before dark,” Applejack said to David, who responded with a nod and headed in the direction of Twilight’s house with Apple Bloom in tow.

There were more ponies out and about today, most likely because of the weekend and the nice weather. David still noticed them watching and looking at him, but less intently than before. Mostly, it seemed to be mares. They would look at him, then look away and start whispering to each other. The whole situation still made him feel weird, but he understood. If one of these ponies were walking around his old neighborhood, he would be staring too, especially if it was a mare that was as attractive as the ones here.

David had noticed that most of the population had figures that were above the average of what he would see back home. Even the stallions were in much better shape than the guys back home. He also took notice of the differences between the pony races.

Earth ponies appeared to have more muscle mass than the others. The pegasi were thinner and leaner than them, and the unicorns were thinner still. Though David quickly saw an exemption to the rule as he passed a large white Pegasus who looked like he had downed a few dozen bottles of steroids. His train of thought was interrupted when a bouquet of roses was shoved into his face.

“Hello there. My name is Rose Luck. Care for some flowers?” She asked.

David pushed the bouquet out of his face and politely declined. “Please. They're really good,” Rose said as she jammed one in David's mouth, “I dethorned them myself, so they’re perfectly safe to eat!”

David gagged and coughed as he tried to get the plant matter out of his mouth. Of all the times to leave my canteen at camp, David thought.

“Is something wrong?” Rose asked.

Once David had removed all the foreign material from his mouth, he looked at Rose and sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he explained, “It's not your fault, since you didn't know, but... humans don't eat flowers.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry!” Rose then paused before she hesitantly added, “So... what do humans eat?”

“Lots of different things.”

“Liiiike?” Rose said, leaning into him.

“Look, I don't want to be rude, but I'm a little busy today.”

“Oh, okay... Maybe we can get together some other time and get to know each other?”

“Yeah, maybe. We'll see,” David took a step back and turned on his heels, “So yeah, see you around sometime.” He then took Apple Bloom's hand, and the two moved on.

As they moved on, several more mares passed by rather close to David, and as they passed, they would brush their tails against his thigh or leg. Each time this happened, Apple Bloom would giggle.

“What's so funny, Apple Bloom?” David stopped and asked.

“Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it.”

“Worry about what?”

“Like I said. It's nothing,” Apple Bloom grabbed his hand and pull him onward.

“But…” Before he could say any more, a familiar mint green unicorn stepped out in front of them, Oh, goody. It's the pervert again, “Hey, Lyra. What do you need?”

“Well, I heard that you were in town, and I thought I should ask you to come to the hospital.”

“And why would I do that?”

“So they can study your biology. It will be nothing invasive. I promise.”

“We’ll see, though I still need to visit Twilight.”

“I know, but I hope you'll still go. This is your health we're talking about.”

“Okay, I'll... wait. You knew I was in town, but you also know I'm going to Twilight’s. How?”

“I'm not following you or anything!” Lyra shut her mouth after she said that, as David gave her the 'I can't believe you say that' stare. “What I meant was that I-”

David held up his hand and said, “Just go.”

“Okay, sorry. I'm not trying to be a creeper-”

“Just go.”

“Right, so... see you later then.” Lyra quickly ran off.

“What the hey was that all about?” Apple Bloom asked, “Don't you like Lyra?”

“It's not that I don't like her. It's just... I'm not comfortable with her following me. You have to admit that that's creepy.”

“Ah guess so, but are ya goin' to go to the hospital, like she said?”

“I don't see why not. I mean, she did make a good point.”

Lyra’s little interruption hadn't delayed David too much from getting to Twilight's, as he saw the library coming up at the end of the street. The two walked up to the library, and David knocked on the door. After a few minutes, the door opened, revealing Spike at the door.

“Hello, David. Hello, Apple Bloom,” he said.

“Hey there, Spike. No hard feelings about yesterday, right?” David asked.

“Na, we’re all good.”

“What happened yesterday?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It's nothing you need to worry about,” David said, “Anyways, is Twilight home?”

“Yeah, she's here. Come on in.” Spike stepped aside so the two could walk in. “I'll go get her,” Spike said as he ran upstairs.

David sat on a couch, while Apple Bloom browsed through the books. After a few minutes, Twilight came downstairs. Much to David’s surprise, she was wearing a purple tank top and white short shorts, which seemed strange to him, considering she was supposed to be the librarian of this library.

“Hi, David. How are you today?” Twilight said as she sat next to him.

“I'm doing good,” David replied, “I'm here to see if the princess sent you that paper work.”

“As a matter of fact, she did. I received it this morning,” Twilight said as she levitated some papers over to him, “I was actually going to go find you, so you could fill it out.”

“I'm glad I could save you the trip,” David said as he took the paper, “but were you really going to go out dressed like that?”

“Well, no,” Twilight blushed, “You caught me in the middle of getting ready for the day, so I had to throw some pants on and…”

David raised an eyebrow and cocked a smile, “So, you sleep in your underwear, huh?”

“What?! No! I mean-”

“Hey, to each his own. Sometimes, I like to sleep naked. Do whatever's comfortable for you.”

“Well, I-” Dang it, now I'm picturing him naked. “Look, you just fill that out, and I'll go and finish getting ready,” Twilight said, flustered.

“Okay, do you have a pen or something I can use?”

“Yeah, sure,” Twilight levitated a quill and inkwell to him, before heading back upstairs.

David read over the forms, and noticed they were handwritten, I guess the princess made me a custom one, or she does all of them like this. He then picked up the quill, Well, this is going to be adventurous. Let's see if I can make it legible with this. As he filled out the paperwork, he began to think that this was custom made, considering some of the questions seemed specifically geared towards him.

After about ten minutes, Twilight came back downstairs and rejoined him on the couch. “How’re you doing?” she asked.

“Okay, assuming you can actually read my writing. Just need to finish a couple more questions, and I'll be done. This didn't take as long as I thought it would.”

“From what I understand, they normally don't.”

“Alright. I'm done!”

“May I see?” Twilight asked. David handed the paper over to her, and she read it over. “Looks like everything is in order. Now, you just need to have someone to approve and administer the oath of citizenship.”

“Great. How do I do that?”

“We could get the mayor to do it, but if you want to get it done right now, I can do it.”

“You can?”

“Yep. I'm certified to swear in new citizens.”

“Well, let's not waste any time. What do I have to do?”

“Raise your right hand and repeat after me: 'I solemnly swear that I will support and defend Equestria and its princesses against any threats, domestic or foreign, and take up arms in its defense, if needed; and to obey its laws and perform any service that is requested of me within the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me, Celestia.'”

David repeated the oath perfectly, except for one part, “So help me God.” He said at the end.

“Wait... what did you say there?”

“Just consider it my way of making it more meaningful.”

“Alright then. I just need to file this away then. Congratulations on becoming a citizen of Equestria.”

“Cool. Do I get a green card or something?”

“Maybe? What's a green card?”

“A document that I carry around to let people know that I'm legal.”

“I think you get something like that.”

“Okay then. Thanks for everything. Come on, Apple Bloom. We’re going.”

“Are we going to the hospital now?” Apple Bloom asked.

“The hospital! What's wrong?! Are you not feeling well?” Twilight asked, worry in her tone.

“I’m fine. Lyra just asked me to stop by for an examination. It's probably just to make sure that if I do need to go to the hospital, they don't cause more damage, or remove a kidney by accident.”

“Oh, in that case, it makes sense.”

“Yeah. See you around, Twilight.”

David and Apple Bloom left and headed for the hospital, with Apple Bloom leading the way. Along the way, David noticed that more ponies were out and congregating around the area they were going. David also noticed that many of them were mares, and some of them had old fashioned cameras.

I guess they aren't done gawking at me. “Okay, everyone, I'm glad you find me so very fascinating, but could you please tone down the creepy stalker vibe?” David said to the now crowded ponies.

Many of the ponies blushed and nodded sheepishly before moving on. One of the ponies with a camera approached him, “May I at least take your picture?”

“Yeah, okay. You can take a picture or two,” David replied.

“Thank you,” she said as she brought up the camera, “Now, smile!”

David gave her a simple smile as she took the picture. The other ponies with cameras stepped forward as well and started taking pictures without asking. David quickly regretted allowing pictures, as their old flash bulbs kept blinding him.

“Okay, okay! That's enough!” David said, shielding his eyes. There were a few groans and awws from the remaining ponies. “Sorry, but I'm not too keen on losing my eyesight yet.” That got the ponies to quiet down and even apologize before going about their business.

David rubbed his temple and let out a sigh of frustrated. I wonder how long this is going to last. He thought.

“You okay?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah. Come on. Let’s just go to the hospital.”

________________________

David and Apple Bloom arrived at the hospital a little before noon. David hoped it was alright, seeing as he didn't know when he should have arrived, but that's what he got for ditching Lyra. David and Apple Bloom entered the hospital, and David saw that it was unremarkable compared to some of the other buildings he had seen the past couple days. It was very similar to the ones back home, which did give him some comfort. Apple Bloom went to take a seat in the waiting area while he went up to the reception area and spoke to the receptionist.

“Excuse me, miss, I would-”

The reception looked up and gasped, “Oh my goodness, what happened to you!? Don't worry, we'll take care of you. I'll get a doctor right away!”

“Whoa, whoa! Take it easy! There's nothing wrong with me.”

“But your fur and your ears and your-”

“I'm not a pony!”

“Oh, that would explain the way you look. Sorry. I didn't mean any offense.”

“None taken.”

“Oh good. Now, what can I do for you today?”

“Well, Lyra asked me to come by and-”

“Oh, that must mean you're the human. Right?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. I'll go see if they're ready for you. Please, have a seat.”

David nodded and walk over to the waiting area and sat next to Apple Bloom.

“Everything okay?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah,” David replied, “Just going to kill some time.” David took out his iPod and started scrolling through some of his games. Let's see. Where were my games again? ...Oh, here we go. David's started up the game, and its music began to play.

“Hey, what's that?” Apple Bloom asked.

“What? My iPod, or what I'm doing?”

“Both.”

David took a minute to explain his iPod and the game he was playing.

“Can I try when you're in with the doctor?”

“Sure.”

David showed Apple Bloom how to play the game. Afterwards, a nurse approached them and told David they were ready for him. David followed the nurse as she led him to an examination room.

“The doctor is waiting for you inside,” the nurse said. David nodded and went in the room. Inside the room was a yellow unicorn stallion in a lab coat.

“Ah, you must be the human I've been asked to look at,” he said.

“Yes, that's me. My name’s David.”

“And I'm Dr. Horse. I also believe you are familiar with Miss Lyra Heartstrings,” the doctor said, pointing to Lyra, “She will be assisting me today.”

Of course she is. David thought to himself.

“Now, let us begin. Wait a second,” the doctor said, looking around, “Didn't you fill out same paperwork?”

“No. Nobody gave me anything.”

“Fantastic... Give me a minute while I go and tell the nurses how to do their job!” The doctor said, nearly storming out of the room.

David turned to Lyra and said, “So, you're here because…?”

“Well, I am an expert on humans, so the doctor thought I should be here.”

“Really? Okay, answer me this, how many gizzards does a human have?”

“Umm... one?”

“Nope. Zero. Humans don't have a gizzard.”

“How was I supposed to know that?”

“I don't know. You are the human expert, aren't you?” David said with a coy smile.

“I’ll have you know that I wrote many papers on the... Oh... Wait... You're just messing with me, aren't you?”

“Just a little.” After David said that, the door to the room opened, and the doctor returned and handed him a clipboard and a pen. David took the pen and stared at it, Seriously? They do have ball point pens... Just... just let go. David thought with a sigh as he filled out the paperwork. When he was finished, he handed it back to the doctor.

“Excellent. If you wouldn't mind taking off your shirt and jacket, we can get to the examination.”

“Just what exactly are you going to be doing to me? Just so I know.”

“Well, first I'm going to check your vitals, then do a few scans to see your skeletal structure, organs, muscles, etc. Then, I’ll take a few samples. After that, you'll be free to go.”

“I told you it wouldn't be anything invasive,” Lyra said.

“All right then. Let's get this over with,” David said, taking off his clothes.

“Alright then. Sit up on the table,” the doctor said as he proceeded to start a short physical examination. “Interesting. It seems that your vitals are just a few points off from our’s.”

“Really, doctor?” Lyra asked.

“Yes. Some are higher, some are lower, and one is about the same.”

“Is that good, bad, or what?” David asked.

“Well, without another human to compare you to, I'll have to say your readings are good. We'll keep these on record for any time you need treatment, though you should come back for a routine physical every few months, just to make sure our records remain accurate.”

“Sure. I don't see why not.”

“Very good. Now, follow me, and we will get started on your scans.”

“Do you need me to take off any more clothing?”

“That won't be necessary. In fact, you can put your clothes back on.” The doctor then led David to a machine and asked him to lie down on it.

The device looked a lot like in x-ray machine from back home, which prompted David to ask, “Is there some protective thing that I should be wearing?”

“No. If you're worried this device, I can assure you it is perfectly safe.” With that, the doctor started up the machine, and beams of light started running up and down his body. “This will only take a few minutes, so try to hold still,” the doctor said. David relaxed as he let the machine do its work. After a few minutes, the doctor told David they were done, and he could get up.

“So, is that all? Are we finished?” David asked.

“Not quite. I still need a couple samples of yours.” The doctor then took out a syringe, “First, I'd like a blood sample.”

“Alright,” David said, rolling up his sleeve. David turned his head as the doctor stuck the needle in a vein.

“Don't like the sight of blood?” the doctor asked.

“No. Just not a big fan of needles.” The doctor nodded and pulled the needle out and put a bandage on his arm. The doctor then handed him a plastic cup. “You know, most doctors ask for a urine sample before the examination.”

“Oh, that's not for urine.” David looked at the doctor, then looked over to see Lyra with a couple of magazines.

He then looked back to the doctor, “No.”

“But-”

“You have more than enough with just my blood. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have other places I’d like to be right now. Good day.” David got up and walked out of the room.

“Well, that could have gone better,” Lyra said.

“Don't worry. He'll be back if he wants kids,” the doctor said, getting his notes together, “In the meantime, we have a lot to go over.”

David headed back to the waiting room. Once there, he got Apple Bloom, and the two left. “Everything okay?” she asked.

“Yes. Everything's alright. I'm sure that if they need anything more from me, they'll ask.”

“So, what do ya wanna do now?”

“I don't know.”

“Well, it's a little past noon, so how about we get some lunch?” Apple Bloom said, waving the bag of bits her sister gave her.

David was about to protest, when he felt his stomach growl, “Okay. Just nothing that's exclusive to ponies, 'kay?”

__________________________________

David and Apple Bloom were sitting at a table outside a restaurant, waiting for their food. Apple Bloom said the place had a good selection of food for all races, but it was lacking meat, not that David was surprised by that. Apple Bloom had ordered a fruit salad with a flower sandwich, while David had ordered a grilled cheese and tomato soup.

The two of them sat in an awkward silence until Apple Bloom asked him a question, “So, how did you meet your friends?”

David tilted his head back and collected his thoughts, “Well, the short answer is school.”

“Is that it?”

“Yeah, pretty much, actually.”

“So, nothing brought you guys together?”

“Look, if you’re looking for an inspirational tale of a bunch of misfits getting together and overcoming a common challenge, you're not going to find it here.” Apple Bloom was a little disappointed by that. “But now that I think about it, I guess there is a small story to how we all met. First, Ben and I have been friends for pretty much ever. His dad and my dad were friends, so we pretty much grew up together.

“Zac and Paul we met in first grade. The two had always been a little weird and were often bullied for it. Now, I had always been taught to stand up for myself and people who can't do it themselves, so I stepped in. I got in trouble afterwards, of course, but no one bothered those two again, and I got a couple more friends.

“Kristin, however, was a little different. We met her halfway through the school year. We must have been in the 5th or 6th grade, I can't quite remember, but I could tell she needed someone to help her fit in, so I simply walked up and talked to her one lunch period. We became fast friends after that.

“None of us really had many friends outside of the five of us, but we were okay with that. We were like family. I never had siblings growing up, and they were like the brothers and sister I never had,” David said with a touch of sadness in his voice.

“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-”

“It's alright. I just need to make some new friends.”

“Well, you at least have me and my sister.”

“True. Speaking of, how did you and your friends meet?”

Apple Bloom told him about how she met Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and how the three of them formed the Cutie Mark Crusaders, during which their food arrived. After Apple Bloom was finished telling her story and the two had finished eating, Apple Bloom asked what they should do now.

“I don't know,” David said as he thought about it. Then, he remembered something from yesterday, “I wanted to go see Rarity at her shop and see if she could make me some new clothes.”

“I'm sure she would be happy to. Let's go.”

The two were off and soon arrived at Carousel Boutique. The two entered and heard a bell go off. “Be there in a minute,” they heard in a sing-song voice coming from another room.

David looked around and found that the place was more upscale than what he was used to. He saw many of the mannequins were dressed in either formal gowns or suits, nothing that he would need for a day to day basis. His attention was brought back when he heard someone enter the room.

“Hello, and welcome to carousel boutique- Oh! Hello, David. What can I do for you?”

“Hello, Rarity. I'm here to see if I could place in an order for some new clothes.”

“Why, of course you can. Simply stand on the platform over there, and we'll get started.”

“Excuse me, Rarity,” Apple Bloom said, “but is Sweetie Belle around?”

“Hello, Apple Bloom. Yes, she is. You may go and see her while I am working with David.”

With that, Apple Bloom went upstairs, and Rarity turned her attention back to David. Rarity levitated over a pair of glasses, some paper, a quill and ink vial, and some measuring tape. She then directed David how to stand, so she could take his measurements.

“Anything in particular you were interested in?” she asked.

“Just something casual that I can work in. Also, some pajamas would be nice.”

“Any thoughts on the color?”

“I'm partial to cool colors, blue and green specifically. I also have a fondness for red and orange, so anything along those lines.”

“Alrighty then.” Rarity moved the measuring tape all over David's body as she wrote down his measurements. Once she was satisfied, she looked over the numbers to see if maybe she had something already that might fit him.

“Give me a minute, darling, and I'll be right back,” Rarity said, going into her back room.

David sat on the ledge of the platform and waited while Applebloom and Sweetie Belle came down. “Hello, David,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Hello, Sweetie Belle. What have you two been up to?”

“Ah've just been tellin' Sweetie Belle 'bout our day, and she wanted to say hi before we left.”

“Well, thank you,” David said as he ruffled Sweetie's mane.

“Where's Rarity?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I'm right here, darlings,” Rarity said, coming back with a set of clothing. She handed them to David, “Here. Try these on.”

“Okay. Thank you.” David went into a changing room. He noticed the clothes were fairly normal. The shirt was a dark blue, button-down polo shirt, and the pants were a set of matching khakis. He put them on and found them to be a perfect fit, but there was something off about them, apart from a hole in the pants for a tail.

He walked out of the room to show Rarity. “I say you do look rather dashing... but wait...”

“What?”

“There's no cutie mark.”

“Yeah. So?”

“That, and most of the clothing I make is made from a special fabric that tunes into a pony’s natural magic and displays their cutie mark.”

“Is that why I feel all tingly?”

“Possibly. It happens to creatures who don't have a cutie mark and wear this type of material.”

“I see. Is this going to be a problem?”

“No. Not at all. I have plenty of non-magical fabric to make outfits for you.”

“Alright. Then I guess I'll change and leave you to it. By the way, how much is this going to cost?”

“Nothing.”

“What?”

“You heard me. Consider this a gift for all you've done for the ponies of Ponyville.”

“I appreciate that, but you should at least let me do something to pay you back.”

“Well, how about this? You model some clothes for me sometime. I've got a whole lot of new ideas from you.”

“That sounds good. I'll see you around then,” David said as he went back into the changing room and put his old clothes back on.

The two said their goodbyes and headed out. David decided to take Apple Bloom back to her sister at the market, only to find that she wasn't there. Apple Bloom told him that after lunch the apples would usually sell out, and her sister would go back to the farm, so David decided that they should head back as well.

On the way back, Apple Bloom asked him if he would stay, like he did before. “I don't think so, Apple Bloom. It's not that late, so I could get back home safely, and besides, I don't want to wear out my welcome.”

“I see,” Apple Bloom said in a sad tone.

“Hey, it's not like I'm going to stay in that forest forever, you know?”

Apple Bloom just nodded as they continued down the path to her home. Once they reached the house, Apple Bloom opened the door and shouted, “We're home!”

“Is David with you?” they heard Applejack shout back from the living room.

“Yeah, he’s still here,” Apple Bloom answered.

“Well, bring him in here.”

Apple Bloom took David's hand and led him to the living room. There he saw the rest of the Apple family. “What's going on?” Apple Bloom asked.

Applejack smiled. “We've been talking, and we would like to invite David to move in with us,” she said while turning towards David, “That is, if you want to.”

David was nearly rendered speechless by the offer, “Wow. I just, wow... this... I don't even know what to say.”

“Say yes!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“Well, I just don't know. I would like to, but... I don't know. This seems a little sudden.”

Granny Smith got up from her rocking chair and headed over to David, “Ah know you're from another world and all, and Ah don't know what things are like where you're from, but I know one thing... I like you, and my grandkids like you, so I don't see why you shouldn't come and live with us. If it don't work out, then you can always find a new place. What do you say?”

David stood there for a moment, thinking before he took out his wallet. “What do you say we let fate decide?” he unzipped a compartment in his wallet and pulled out a large silver coin, and showed it to them, “Heads, I stay. Tails, I find my own place.”

Granny Smith nodded and let him proceed as he flipped the coin, caught it, and rested it on the back of his other hand. He then removed his hand and revealed that the coin had landed heads up.

“Looks like I'm moving in.”

Apple Bloom cheered as she hugged him. Applejack chuckle and said, “How 'bout tomorrow we go back to your place and get your stuff?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Good. Now, why don't you go rest while we get dinner ready?”

“You sure you don't want me to help this time?”

“That's alright, but you’re still a guest, so take some time to relax.”

“Well, alright then. Thank you for letting me stay here.”

“It's no trouble.”

David nodded and headed upstairs. He entered his room and laid on the bed as he looked at his coin. I guess there is some luck left in you he thought is he stared at the coins worn face and faded date.

“Hey, what're you thinking about?” David looked at the door and saw Applejack leaning on the door frame.

“Oh, hey… Just stuff.”

“Anything that might keep you up at night like last time?”

“No. I don't think so. Really, I was just thinking about this,” he showed her the coin again.

“What's so special about it?” Applejack said as she moved in closer.

“It's a silver dollar, the first one my great grandfather ever made after coming to America, and he always kept it as a good luck charm.”

“So, he gave it to you?”

“No, my uncle did. Actually, he said he didn't need it anymore, and that it was time to pass it on.”

“Do you really think it's lucky?”

“I don't know. It said I should stay with you, so we'll see.”

“Well, I'm kind of glad actually.”

David looked at her with confusion, “What do you mean by that?”

“Ah think you're good person. Ah also thank you need some friends by your side. It'll be better for you to make friends if they don't have to visit you in the Everfree Forest.”

David laughed, “Yeah. You have a point there.”

“Well, I'll let you get some rest. We’ll call you when dinner's ready.” Applejack was about to leave when the David called out to her.

“Applejack?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks... for caring.”

“Of course. We're friends aren't we?”

“Yeah. Yeah, we are,” David said with a smile.

Applejack left, and David was alone with his thoughts again. Things seem to be moving quickly again, but that may not be a bad thing. He took out the picture of him and his friends. Still, I wish. He shook his head, No. It's probably better if things stay the way they are. By now, they've moved on. It's time I do, too… but how? He looked down to the hallway. He could just barely hear the sounds of dishes and pans being moved in the kitchen. I guess I just need more time to adjust. He looked back at the picture as a single tear ran down his cheek, I still miss you guys. I just wish I could have said goodbye.

David put the picture away and laid back down and let out a heavy sigh, “Things will get better... they have to... right, mom?” he said, looking up out the window.

Comments ( 40 )

So, when is Luna going to show up sputtering about David calling her mom?

7379418 David is secretly lunas long lost son with ancient alicorn magiks, confirmed.

7379606 This makes me giggle. I approve.

7379822
7380266

that comment made me make that face.
i felt it appropriate.

7379418 :rainbowlaugh:I'm surprised she hasn't been to any of his dreams yet.

“Oh, that's not for urine.” David looked at the doctor, then looked over to see Lyra with a couple of magazines

:rainbowlaugh:

Huh, I would have expected the exam go way differently. Lyra freaking out, geeking out, or a mix of both... Fairly normal then.
At least the day went by well. No need to use guns is always a good day, because it pretty much guarantees you another day of life when you're at that age :rainbowlaugh:

7382828 How old do you think David is?

7382975 I'd say somewhere around 25, but no older than 35. But that's just a wild guess to be honest, deduced from his behavior and how well he's taking everything.

7382982
Mosin Negants do not have a traditional safety, they have a bolt that can be locked into a position that prevents the gun from firing. The way it was stated in the story, it seemed like he flipped a selector switch on the side.

Great chapter, I really enjoyed it. It was good to see him out and about without a firearm, means he's adjusting and becoming more comfortable.

I like the "so help me Celestia/God" piece, swear unto something such as that would have been a large in battle between belief/faith and the need to obtain citizenship of the country. Though there was much of a struggle for David it seemed the subtly of using God's name in place of Celestia's was a nice touch at showing David it's one to blindly leave his old life behind despite being in Equestria for a year (even though he was in the everfree).

The mares brushing their tails against his thy was interesting assuming it is a show of interest (which I hope it is :rainbowlaugh:) It was honestly not something I would have though of as personally so kudos for that, also it was nice to see that they ponies received David differently, by being more attracted and open rather than frightened, being must of the HiE's I've read tend to write the Ponyville populace as eother scared or overly slow to warm up to a new creature.

Anyways, I don't want to keep rambling and blow up your comments so to sum it up. Great job. Loved it.

As always thanks for writing and entertaining me and other with your stories. I look forward to the next chapter. :twilightsmile:

Great chapter. I laughed when Lyra and the other mares went all touchy in David and Twilight being casual we funny. It was also sweet that the Apples accepted David into their home.

I thought the oath was more a soldiers oath than a citizens but it doesn't really matter all that much.

Huh. It reads like a dish without spices. The dialogue is flat, emotionless, and straight to the point, while everything else is little more than a series of events. Not much emotion, color, pacing control, or atmosphere to speak of. The MC is almost a robot.
Give him some emotion, and have him actually react with outrage to the outrageous things that Lyra and other mares are doing to him. He's forgiving of a mare who stalks him, yet he's still mildly suspicious of a family that offers to take him in. At least have him tell off Lyra with an implied/concealed threat, rather than walking away. He has the right to be angry when he's been wronged, like when Mac challenged his character and hit him into his plate.
Did he laugh at that because it was funny to get humiliated, because he was afraid of Mac, or because he's a robot who laughs when other people do? I can't tell.

TL;DR, the MC & atmosphere need emotion, and the MC needs to stop being a pushover.

7382993 He's actually younger then that. If he seems older it just might be me reflecting some of my age on to him.

7384436 David is something of a celebrity and a hero so it would make sense that the locals wouldn't be as xenophobic around him.

7392601 I based it off of the U.S. citizen oath so take of that what you will.

7392789 Look I'm trying to do the best I can, I am not a professional writer and I have not gone to school to learn how to tell a proper story. I like every other person who writes on the side is doing it for fun, that being said I'm not butthurt over your criticisms, I did ask for them after all. I am trying to do better I just find it hard you actually focus sometimes and get those things in.
Now my counter arguments, David has acted with outrage before I'm assuming you read the previous chapters if not read chapter 3. It's just he's smart enough to know when the pick his battles. As for moving in with the Apples, have you ever lived in New York? This is a state where you get a scowl after you wave and smile and someone. So yeah it would be weird to move in with someone you just met. Now as for Big Macintosh, that was an accident I established it as an accident and Big Mac apologize for it. And David laugh because it was funny.

Oh man, I feel for the guy. I'm enjoying the story so far, though I think it's funny how each mare seems to have the hots for him~ (referring to the tails whipping at his lags. Hubba hubba~)

Well I'm glad to see you fleshing him out a little and not making it some dark and mysterious past kind of thing which I've seen too many times but a more well rounded type of guy. I guess it would be easier for this story to have some kind of romance building with them as anthros since it helps they are more human like. Plus like you said with all of them being better body types. In a way you could have him start to think on things like he can't see them as animals more like aliens. Maybe have him go something like he could live with the tails and the heads while a bit odd aren't off putting, plus maybe it has been a long time since he's had any kind of close physical contact and with humans that can be a hard thing to go through.

Although maybe start to explain to him (and through him us) why so many mares are into him. You can start with him asking someone he trusts like maybe AJ (to help maybe build up something between them with it too) as she explains it to him. Maybe how because there are multiple species it's not that odd a thing but they don't all live in Equestria so it makes them kind of exotic and him being the only human makes him kind of super exotic and maybe some are just kind of curious what it's like with a human as well. But I'm just throwing out ideas here.

Pacing seems a bit fast, other than that the story is pretty good.
Hope to see more soon.

When's the next update?

Please update soon.

Is he gonna update this soon, apparently it's been 2 years...

I want more cmon dude you can't give up on this story yet!!!:fluttercry:

Ah, you barstard. I was curious to see if there was any Sniper Elite crossover fics, a popular fic came up, and it turns out it's just not true. I'll read it anyway, but now I feel like I got teased big time.

Can we get an update? Please?

Comment posted by Cheesecake404 deleted May 25th, 2018

8941037
Some day when I have the time. I haven't given up.

8946709
Is there going to be a new update soon?

I must say I like this story very much and I wish to see it updated very soon.
Any idea when that will be?
This story is going in the favorite folder and you have earned yourself another follower.

Will this ever be uploaded with a new chapter cause it’s been way to long.

10166416
You have better chance at wining the lottery then this writer ever getting off his ass to finish this story

Comment posted by Darth_krayt deleted Sep 3rd, 2022
Comment posted by CyberBookworm deleted Feb 12th, 2022

Once David had removed all the foreign material from his mouth, he looked at Rose and sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose as he explained, “It's not your fault, since you didn't know, but... humans don't eat flowers.”
“Oh, I’m so sorry!” Rose then paused before she hesitantly added, “So... what do humans eat?”
“Lots of different things.”

“Liiiike?” Rose said, leaning into him.

Honeysuckles
Daffodils
Mint
Marigold
Chives
…and much more

https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/edible-flowers/8078.html

I would like to think that he has a immune system is way better then the pony and he's more fertile than any that stallion

Login or register to comment