• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 5,944 Views, 915 Comments

Before the Storm: The Rise of Firefly - Firesight



Before the Wonderbolts, there were the Bolt Knights. And before Rainbow Dash, there was Firefly. The story of Rainbow Dash's ancestor, the origin of the Wonderbolts, and the coming of the Great Pony/Gryphon War.

  • ...
19
 915
 5,944

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude #3, Part 2: Vengeance and Wrath

Given the scope of the events surrounding the IS-2 incident, we made the decision to divide it into two parts: the destruction of the colony and the reports stemming from that, followed by the large-scale retaliation against the Lucavi raider group and its aftermath.

Before going on, however, I would like to say that the discovery of Legate Ampok’s actions in the previous chapter has made me happier than ever that I made the decision to befriend Gavian so long ago. Even in the Empire’s time, there were good and honorable gryphons, and to call them all irredeemable savages does a grave injustice to them.

Methinks, my Captain, you are referring to myself when you say this? I’m fully aware that my prior way of thinking of the Gryphons was wrong, but can you blame me, given my first true experience with them?

—Fell Flight

Not in the slightest, my dear friend. You were hardly unique in your thinking, and ’twould be a lie to say that I did not initially feel that way as well. But let us not dwell on that. Instead, let us reveal what remains to be seen of this incident. A warning to future readers; this is not a happy or heroic story in the slightest, nor was it meant to be. If you were expecting tales of military glory or a clean operation where everything is resolved neatly and fairly… I apologize in advance. For I am ashamed to say that in the end, ‘twas the Equestrian side that behaved dishonorably in the aftermath of the IS-2 incident, and none come off well for it.


Gryphon Empire

Equestria


Operation Phoenix Fire: Day One
November 18th, 1127 AE

The following are dispatches on the crystal communications network from Major General Avalanche to Outpost Orange, relayed in turn to both Canterlot and all Army and Aerial Corps border bases:

0715 hours: Operation Phoenix Fire has begun. We have crossed the line of departure with the rising of the sun; both Army and Corps forces are surging into gryphon territory along a broad front. The Lances report that as promised, the 6th Talon legion is nowhere to be seen. Black Hawk Base is deserted, and the border sensors are inoperative. In summary, Legate Ampok was as good as her word. We have achieved complete surprise and are advancing without resistance…

1030 hours: With the Corps flying cover and the morning mists masking us, the lead regiments of the 4th division have bloodlessly occupied the three nearest gryphon towns and farming cooperatives, or steadholts as they call them, finding only a few auxiliary guard troops to defend them, who were sleeping in their barracks. They were swiftly overcome and disarmed without incident, though a younger tiercel from a steadholt tried attacking a soldier with a blade. He was knocked out and then treated by a healer before being returned to his family, with the admonition to keep him inside. It pleases me to report that though frightened, the farmers and local civilians are already offering up intelligence. ‘Twould seem they hate the Lucavi group as much as we do…

1200 hours: First contact with Lucavi raiders has been made in the steadholt of Isca sixteen miles inside gryphon territory; they were identified by Lance recon teams, who then called in the Corps, who descended on their local hideout swiftly and burst inside, killing seven and capturing three. Several others tried to flee but were swiftly cut down by the Lances before they could raise an alarm. I regret to report the first pony death of the operation, as Private Chinook took a crossbow bolt to the chest and died at the scene.

1240 hours: Corps forces at Isca have been relieved by advancing Army troops, who have been marching hard all morning to reach a point twenty-five miles inside gryphon territory. Though our earth ponies are able to continue, our unicorns need to stop. As no gryphon mages are to be expected, I have directed the unicorns to rest and catch up later.

1350 hours: We have occupied the towns of Bafsk and Cyal only slightly behind schedule, though I fear this may worsen as Army troops are reporting having some trouble navigating roads given fragmentary intelligence on gryphon territory. Methinks I am also concerned that Corps forces are getting too far afield, and I have made that concern known to Captain Fairweather, who is having some trouble issuing orders to her far-flung units who are passing out of easy crystal communication range. We dare not increase their magic power or that would be lighting a beacon any gryphon mage could sense from fifty miles away. Am resorting to pegasus message runners borrowed from the Corps, which is an imperfect solution at best.

1610 hours: In our first real engagement, Corps forces belonging to the 3rd battalion were spotted and attacked by a score of Auxiliary Guard Troops based out of Amur, thirty miles inside of gryphon territory and nearing the westernmost Lucavi strongholds. Initial reports are fragmentary and an hour old, but ‘twould appear that some of their Guard soldiers bore the mark of the Lucavi, which is a potentially dangerous development if they have infiltrated the gryphon military. Notwithstanding orders to avoid engagement with Imperial troops, Corps soldiers fought back and slew the defenders, taking five casualties of their own, including two dead. Though regrettable, the Guard was not able to raise the alarm and our presence still goes undetected by the Lucavi strongholds at Altair and Altea as the Lances report no unusual activity at them.

1755 hours: Calling a halt to the advance as night nears to consolidate our position and gains. Night is their time, not ours, and I have ordered all troops to take a defensive posture. Regardless, we have advanced nearly thirty-five miles into gryphon territory, which, I will note, is further than we intended to go and spreading our forward forces uncomfortably thin. ‘Twould seem a prong of the Corps advance significantly exceeded its orders and forced the Army to rush in already-tired troops via naval transport to secure the Viale Steadholt when the Corps company in question invaded it several hours early upon spotting Lucavi members. They then found themselves in a sharp fight with nearly twenty raiders backed by an equal number of Auxiliary Guard troops. The combined force was overcome, but at cost; reports are still trickling in as of this hour.


Day 1 Battle Map


Operation Phoenix Fire, Final Day 1 Report

Prepared by Army Major General Avalanche
Commanding Officer, 4th Division

My Princess:

Initial incursion into gryphon territory has proceeded apace, reaching its apex at the Steadholt of Viale nearly thirty-five miles into Gryphon territory—indeed, that I am now writing this note from the captured village of Isca inside a hideout formerly used by the raiders ‘tis evidence enough of our progress.

Many steadholts and several larger gryphon villages have been occupied by first the Corps, then the Army. Although the villagers are frightened, we have made it clear we mean them no harm. Though understandably wary, they have generally accepted our presence; some have even volunteered information regarding the Lucavi group’s movements upon learning of our intent to stop their activities. ‘Twould seem that rumors regarding their brutality towards their own kind are not exaggerated; several gryphons have spoken already of losing loved ones to the raiders, for one reason or another; others claim their sons and daughters were impressed into their service, begging us to spare them.

We will do our best. At least forty Lucavi members have already been captured or killed, though we have not yet engaged their main force. Using intelligence gathered from the locals, we intend to pin the Lucavi group into their two main strongholds at Altair and Altea, cutting off their retreat and then crushing them with a surprise attack before they can get wind of our intentions. We already know some of their locations and movements thanks to the locals and the Lances, who have proven their worth this day with excellent reconnaissance work and by killing fleeing stragglers before they could raise an alarm.

‘Tis certain not all the news is good, however. We have suffered nearly thirty casualties thus far, including eight dead, the bulk of which occurred at Viale. On that subject, ‘twould seem the Corps 3rd battalion under the command of Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt has, against stated orders, advanced further into gryphon territory than was directed or is comfortable, beyond the reasonable reach of the Army by bringing on engagement with a larger combined Lucavi/Auxiliary Guard force at Viale halfway to the Lucavi headquarters at Altair.

That the two factions fought side-by-side and to the death bodes poorly, as does the more hostile reaction the deaths of reservist Guard troops provoked amongst the populace from which they were drawn. With apologies, My Princess, I am also forced to report the first civilian casualties of the campaign, as at least five were slain and many wounded in the fighting at Viale and our forces have earned further gryphon enmity for it.

We are patrolling the streets, conducting house-to-house searches for Lucavi members the residents of Viale are not cooperating in. Though unfortunate, it cannot now be helped. As such, we have ordered them to stay inside and have had no choice but to warn them that any attempting to resist or flee will be killed until the operation is complete. That has not stopped all of them, as a fresh report has reached my desk that the Lances have slain another six that evaded Corps patrols, all attempting to reach the town of Altair where the Lucavi headquarters resides. I apologize for such harsh measures, but I have no choice—if even one flyer slips through our net, the alarm will be raised and the results could be disastrous.

I have made clear to Captain Fairweather my worry and displeasure regarding Lieutenant Thunderbolt, who, ‘tis said by his subordinates, ignored orders to halt his advance and instead launched an immediate attack on Viale without proper preparation or Army support once he received reports that significant numbers of raiders were present. To be sure, his operation was a success, as he slew a dozen Lucavi members at Viale himself, some in particularly brutal fashion if the reports are to be believed. But for this, he turned a town against us and nearly gave away our presence, to say nothing of causing needlessly high casualties among the Corps troops he was leading. I realize that he witnessed horrors beyond imagining in the destruction of the IS-2 settlement, but I fear his actions are guided not by duty but by his anger and thirst for revenge.

I feel ‘tis not my place to overrule Captain Fairweather’s decision to retain him in command, as Thunderbolt is not part of my service. Yet I fear his actions may threaten the security of our operations, and I can only hope that he does not lose himself in the battles to come.

On a final note, I have ordered elements of our reserve, the 3rd division, to advance to relieve the 4th division. This is so that the greater weight of the 4th division can be concentrated on our spearheads, as ‘twould seem we face heavy combat ahead.

Signed,

Major General Avalanche
Equestrian Army
Occupied Gryphon Village Isca


Plan of attack: Day 2


Operation Phoenix Fire: Day 2

November 19th, 1127 AE

The following are reports issued and received by Captain Fairweather, commander of the 5th division and deputy commander of Operation Phoenix Fire leading Corps troops, on the second day of the offensive as recorded by her adjutant:

0540 hours: After a busy and somewhat sleepless night, particularly around Viale, lead Corps forces have been rousted and ordered to take a quick meal before standing to and resuming the advance. I have admonished commanders to not exceed their instructions and operate in concert with the Army, reminding them that a joint attack will be required to quickly invest and destroy the raider strongholds. As heavy urban combat and a greater aerial threat is expected, we are also bringing up storm cloud detachments to provide lightning support to reduce their installations quickly should they go to ground within them.

0550 hours: Addendum: Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt assures me he is fit for duty and will act within the confines of his orders, so for now, he remains in charge of 3rd battalion despite warnings from First Lieutenant Squall Line that he is mentally unbalanced and should be relieved. The basic plan remains the same, with a full war strength battalion of six hundred Pegasi advancing on both wings; the left wing with the 3rd battalion commanded by Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt, and on the right with the 6th battalion commanded by First Lieutenant Squall Line. This serves the dual purpose of allowing the pair to lead major elements of the retaliatory strikes as they both all but begged to, and also keeps them safely apart. As to the communication difficulties we were having, I am trying to keep units within ten miles of each other so messages can be relayed among the crystal network without increasing their power or resorting to message flyers, but this is difficult given the fluid nature of our movements.

0630 hours: Orders issued and aerial advance resuming through a low cloud deck helping to hide our forces. As per General Avalanche’s battle plans, we aim to encircle the Lucavi stronghold towns of Altair and Altea and cut off their retreat while they’re still sleeping, pinning them in their bases and attacking in concert with Army forces by midafternoon. If all goes well, surprise can still be achieved, and the Lucavi group will be substantially crushed by nightfall with little loss.

0715 hours: 6th battalion has occupied Manif on schedule and without resistance; First Lieutenant Squall Line reports catching the gryphon reservists in their beds and capturing a dozen raiders at a watering hole the locals told him they frequented. The 4th division’s 2nd brigade is moving to their relief as First Lieutenant Squall Line readies his forces to capture Sariv next. Methinks the right wing of the advance is going well.

0740 hours: Received late word that the Army advance on the left is delayed as march order is sorted out on narrow roads. I have advised General Avalanche that Corps forces are already advancing and cannot be recalled; once ground is taken it must be kept or those gryphons present within it will certainly escape to raise the alarm.

0845 hours: The 4th division has resumed advancing, though in lesser numbers due to a larger occupation force needed at Viale to keep the population pacified. General Avalanche assures me that three regiments from the 1st and 3rd brigades will still be available for the main operation against Altair, but advises a two-hour delay in its projected launch time given the difficulties in moving his troops forward. I’ve warned him that this will lead to a night engagement, where casualties will be higher and gryphon night vision will lend them an advantage; he assures me that Army unicorns can and will illuminate the scene.

0920 hours: First combat of the morning has occurred in Squall Line’s sector, where he is now moving to encircle the Lucavi stronghold of Altea by capturing the village of Sariv, ten miles to the town’s northeast outskirts. To his credit, he moved quickly to take advantage of recon reports received from Lance Team Three, and with their timely intelligence swiftly overcame resistance in the village, his lead company capturing a large Auxiliary Guard barracks and slaying a score of raiders with nary an arrow fired in defense. ‘Twas a textbook operation, and whatever cloud he is under for the IS-2 attack, ‘tis certain he is performing superbly here, having taken all his objectives on schedule and with minimal casualties. The gryphon reservists are now being held in the jail pending completion of the operation; as they were not harmed, thus far the civilians of Sariv are accepting our presence and offering aid, unlike Viale.

0945 hours: Follow up report from Squall Line. Though the villagers are generally grateful for lifting the yoke of the Lucavi, others are hostile. He feels a single Corps company is insufficient to hold down the village should raider reinforcements appear, and thus he requests immediate reinforcements of his own. I have requested priority on naval transports to get Army troops into the area, but Avalanche says they’re being used to ferry more 4th division troops forward from the rear to reinforce his spearheads. Though I find that of dubious merit, he is the overall commander. In the meantime, I have dispatched a platoon from the 4th battalion to reinforce Squall Line’s force. My own forces are being stretched thin right now during the encirclement operations, enough that I’ve ordered up our reserve 2nd battalion; I dare not pull the bulk of 4th battalion’s air cover from any occupied towns or the Army would not be able to keep the Gryphon residents from escaping or attacking by air.

1100 hours: The western prong of the advance has run into trouble at Rial, finding a larger-than-expected force; heavy fighting has erupted. Worse, skies are clearing and the city is in visual range of Lucavi headquarters at Altair.

1110 hours: Lance Team Two reports they advised Thunderbolt of the century-sized forces he faced and to wait for Army support, only to be ignored. Further fragmentary reports suggest that he overrode the objections of his own subordinates to order the attack, many of whom now say he is acting on the basis of his emotions and without any regard to gryphon lives or their own. As a result, 3rd battalion is now heavily engaged and I fear all opportunity for surprise is lost. I have therefore ordered Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt relieved of command and arrested for dereliction of duty, failure to obey lawful orders, and conduct unbecoming an officer.

1115 hours: 3rd battalion reports a very unpleasant surprise—the presence of two off-duty magus knights in Rial which are now inflicting heavy casualties upon them and starting to drive them back. Will move up weather teams, but advise General Avalanche we need Army and especially unicorn support NOW!

1140 hours: Mages slain by Lieutenant Thunderbolt. How, I don’t know, but he is now ignoring orders and continuing to lead the advance of 3rd battalion, carving a bloody swath through the large Lucavi force at Rial. Casualties are very heavy on both sides, and there is no way in Tartarus the sights and sounds of fighting could not have reached the main raider base at Altair.

1245 hours: Lance Team Six reports that surprise has indeed been lost—alarms and call to arms have been sounded at the two main Lucavi strongholds of Altair and Altea; dozens of messengers are going out in every direction, more than the Lances or available Corps forces can kill at once. Expect the Talons to learn of our operations by nightfall, and close on our positions by daybreak. Have advised General Avalanche to press his advance quickly; we have to end this before the Talons can intervene!

1430 hours: With our forces still heavily engaged at Rial, I am going forward to personally arrest Thunderbolt and assume command of our forward forces, over Avalanche’s objections. He is blaming me for Thunderbolt’s actions and the subsequent loss of surprise, and perchance he is right as I failed to relieve him sooner. Nevertheless, he, too, has made some questionable decisions; Army support has been slow in coming due to his insistence of emphasizing mass over tempo. Numbers don’t matter if they aren’t far enough forward to affect the outcome of the battle!

1520 hours: I’ve arrived on scene at Rial and found a bloody mess. The town is nearly taken, but almost half of the 3rd battalion was lost and the village now lies in ruins with bodies of Corps soldiers, Lucavi raiders, Auxiliary guard troops, and worse, civilians lying everywhere; those who survive are now sniping at us from clouds and alleyways with crossbows after our indiscriminate attack. Thunderbolt is nowhere to be found, pressing the advance eastward with the remains of the 3rd battalion towards Altair, and all I can do now his join his effort with the 2nd battalion. We have but hours before the Talons intervene.

1630 hours: The first army troops have arrived on scene as once again, the unicorns couldn’t keep up with the pace of march. Naval transports are being re-prioritized to bring them forward, but now we have to wait to launch an attack with the sun setting and the enemy rapidly barricading themselves inside their towns and amongst civilians. They’ve seen our numbers and know they can’t win, so they’re doing exactly what I would do in their place—going to ground and digging in as deep as they can, hoping to hold out long enough for the Talons to save them. Far from the surprise attack against an unprepared enemy we envisioned, we will have to rout them out street by street, structure by structure—something the Corps is simply not good at, so the Equestrian Army must take the lead.

1715 hours: Having untangled my command, I must report the 3rd battalion is fought out, having suffered over 50% casualties in taking Rial, so the reserve 2nd battalion combined with elements of Squall Line’s 6th battalion must take the lead in concert with the three advancing regiments of the 4th division’s 1st and 3rd brigades, who Avalanche expects to have in place for an attack on both strongholds by 2200 hours. With as much time as we’ve lost and the Talons likely alerted, ‘tis a grave worry that we will not have sufficient time to complete the Lucavi group’s destruction before the Talons arrive…

1730 hours: I finally found Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt, who point-blank refused my order to submit himself to arrest, saying he would neither rest nor stop fighting until his friends were avenged. The look in his eyes… was one of pure rage and bloodlust, and ‘tis certain it chilled me to the bone. Whoever he was, he was no longer a mere pegasus, he was a demon of vengeance who would not be stopped by anyone, gryphon or pony. I have stripped him of his command but will allow him to continue to participate in the attack for no other reason than that I fear he will try to kill anypony who arrests him.

1815 hours: No sign of the Talons yet. Thank the sun for small favors. Given his good performance thus far, I have requested First Lieutenant Squall Line be placed in charge of the attack on Altea, giving him command of the 6th battalion and two regiments of the 4th division’s 2nd brigade. The brigade commander has objected, but I convinced Avalanche to give the order.

2200 hours: Avalanche himself has arrived on the scene to lead the attack on Altair. Again, I think this is foalish, as an operational commander, particularly a stallion one, should not be risking himself at the front. But he is adamant that he expose himself along with the soldiers, and perchance atone for his own mistakes.


Day 2: Actual Events


Operation Phoenix Fire: Climactic Phase

November 19-20, 1127 AE

The following are reports issued and received by various soldiers and commanders taking part in the attack on Altair. They are harried, fragmentary and often emotion-driven, in direct reflection of the savage fighting happening in the town that night.

2235 hours: The main attacks on the Lucavi strongholds are going in, well over eight hours late, in darkness against an entrenched and dangerous foe. My reports will become more sporadic from here on out as I lead my forces into combat. —General Avalanche

2315 hours: Sir, beg to report that Lucavi forces are fighting hard, knowing full well that defeat means death! We’ve already driven them out of a dozen positions, but dozens more remain, including the group’s headquarters, which is about as sturdy as anything we’ve ever seen! Corps lightning barely dents it, and unicorn explosive arrows aren’t doing much either! —Master Sergeant Arrowhead, 3rd company, 2nd regiment

0000 hours November 20: Tell the General that the fighting in my sector is bloody and bitter, and we’re paying for every block we take! Unicorn flares are illuminating the battlefield, but they only do so much; we’re losing soldiers to attacks out of dark alleys and tunnels the group apparently dug for this very occasion! And somepony tell the Corps to get their flanks down here to take out crossbow snipers firing explosive-tipped arrows from high perches! They’ve killed Colonel Plowshares and their hit-and-fly tactics are inflicting dozens of casualties! —Major Rock Biter, acting commander, 2nd regiment

0050 hours: In case we weren’t motivated enough to finish the job, I must report in anger and sorrow that we found the remains of butchered and half-eaten ponies in the latest position! Forward, soldiers of Equestria, and make these craven chickenhawks PAY! —Sky Sergeant Gustnado, ranking enlisted, 2nd battalion, 5th Corps Division.

0120 hours: General, despite heavy casualties and stubborn resistance, we are starting to make solid progress into the town center. We are reducing individual strongpoints and sniper perches with lightning strikes, called by unicorns who pinpoint targets with magical beams that the Corps weather teams can easily see. We have thus solved one issue of Corps/Army coordination, at least! The Corps is only of limited use otherwise, providing top cover and hitting targets of opportunity—to little surprise, the Lucavi raiders are not flying but fighting from the ground, knowing taking to the air is suicide given there are unicorn archers below and a fresh Corps battalion overhead—but otherwise the Equestrian Army is doing the bulk of the fighting, and in my not-so-humble opinion, fighting well! —Lieutenant Copperhead, platoon commander, 3rd regiment, 4th division.

0215 hours: General—First Lieutenant Squall Line reports that Altea has fallen to his combined Army/Corps force with relatively few casualties, having taken out ‘over a century’ of Lucavi raiders and capturing half that many more; he further reports a few raiders tried to flee but were quickly cut down. He is now engaged in mopping-up activities, and with his battalion relatively intact, reports he can spare an Army company and Corps platoon for our effort. I have ordered him instead to start conducting combat air patrols to his east and north to keep watch for escaping Lucavi members and advancing Talons, and warn us immediately if the latter approach. If the Talons do appear, he is to send word and fall back on Sariv whilst requesting immediate parley, only engaging if attacked. After how badly we botched this operation, one we were invited to perform, I fear they will be out for blood. If so, I will offer myself up for punishment in exchange for my forces. —Captain Fairweather

0345 hours: ALERT! Large Talon force approaching from the northwest! Tentatively identified as four cohorts of 3rd Talon legion. Lance Team 2 is going to ground. Will be last contact as further communications may be picked up by approaching mages. Good luck and be ready! —Master Sergeant Silent Night, Commander, Black Lance Team 2

0355 hours: Captain, we have received additional alerts from Lance Teams three and seven, as well as my own patrols. Significant portions of two Talon legions are closing in on us from the north and east and will arrive by daybreak! Will redeploy as ordered and request parley, but strongly advise you finish the job quickly and be prepared to break off the attack if not! Methinks we’re running out of time! —First Lieutenant Squall Line, commander, 6th battalion, 5th Corps division.

0400 hours: General, the Talons are coming and coming quickly. We have but one hour to conclude this operation before we have to redeploy to meet them! The Lucavi group headquarters and a hundred raiders barricaded inside are all that’s left! I will dispatch all our weather teams and request your unicorns mass their power to make a breach as well. We need to finish this NOW! —Captain Fairweather


After-Action report: The Last Stand of the Lucavi

November 20th, 1127 AE

The following after-action report was made by Sky Sergeant Gustnado, ranking enlisted mare of the 2nd battalion who took part in the final attack on the Lucavi group headquarters and witnessed the actions of Lieutenant Thunderbolt firsthoof. ‘Tis worth noting that she was awarded the Sapphire Sun for her actions that day, so these are the measured words of a veteran warrior, not the exaggerated stories of a frightened fledgling.

‘Twas nearly 0415 in the morning when our final orders came. Whether Army or Corps, unicorn, earth pony or pegasus, we were tired, we were wounded, and too many of us had already fallen in this fight. And now that we were told that as the Talons were coming, if we did not finish the job and take the Lucavi group headquarters in less than an hour, we never would, and all our efforts might be for naught.

With nearly a hundred members of the group still holed up inside, including Mistress Altima and the rest of the group leadership, and the well-built structure having resisted our best efforts to reduce it, that was a tall order, but we obeyed as best we could. Army and Corps soldiers concentrated at the outside entrances, intending to mass their lightning, explosive arrows and magical attacks to make a breach, but in the end, ’twas not necessary.

Ignoring orders and his injuries yet again—he’d taken several wounds in the course of the day but somehow kept fighting—Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt simply grabbed a storm cloud from its weather team and somehow charged it up, kneading it in an odd motion as an audible crackle built, then targeted it directly on the barricaded entrance.

What followed was an unreal display of lightning strikes as a series of massive bolts blew open the front door, and then he triggered the cloud to go into continuous strikes in every direction, causing the rest of us to duck as he threw it into the opening he made, the massive lightning storm in the closed space likely killing every raider in reach. Once the cloud was spent, he rushed inside in its wake, charging down the hallway that led underground. Defenders further back were ready, but it hardly mattered as he refused to stop his assault, slaying everything he encountered along the way.

I fear I cannot even begin to adequately describe what I saw; an incredible and otherworldly display of sheer rage and combat ability. ‘Twas as if he was born to kill, as he seemed to do so instinctively. I am given cause to wonder whether ‘twas more battle brilliance or just sheer savagery as every strike was parried, every ambush avoided, every attack turned back on its owner, who invariably ended up dead, leaving a trail of three dozen corpses as he went. He slew everything before him, no matter how many he faced at once, and to my horror did not discriminate between raider or civilian, adult or hatchling, even those clearly held hostage or being used as shields. All fell to his blades, and there was nothing any of us could do to stop him.

We followed, but there was little for us to do until he burst into the underground chamber where Mistress Altima was. He flew right into an ambush and took two crossbow bolts, but acted like he barely felt them, then ignored the flanking raiders to charge for her, the angry and agonized scream he emitted upon sighting her telling us all he recognized her.

Whilst we dealt with her four remaining bodyguards, who we later learned to our misfortune were all former Knights as they fought savagely and took out over a dozen of us before falling to variously spears, wingblades or unicorn arrows, Thunderbolt engaged Altima’s final line of defense, a former Raven eagless who served as her personal bodyguard, dual-wielding scimitars as her mistress tried to escape through another tunnel. She lasted longer than most, which was to say not very, as despite her obvious skill he took her down in less than six seconds, decapitating her before pounding on the door the mistress had fled through.

We pulled him away just long enough for an explosive arrow to blow the door open, and, using a purloined shield, he charged down the corridor without waiting for the rest of us again. We did not see what happened after that, only its aftermath, where we came across him on his knees and sobbing, Mistress Altima lying at his hooves and slain with her own sword. Her face was contorted in an expression of terror and agony, her now-stuck open eyes fixed on the sword that impaled her chest. Whatever demon had possessed him let go at that moment, and suddenly he saw all he had done and could not bear it; his cries of grief and pain still echo in my ears. I might have felt sorry for him if I was not so utterly terrified of him, and I can only pray that the creature he became never reemerges again.

Such was the end of Mistress Altima, and was swiftly followed by the end of all remaining resistance inside. Within half an hour, the headquarters building was taken and the Lucavi group was no more. Our mission was accomplished, but we had little time to celebrate or mourn our losses, even were we inclined to. For the Talons were coming, and methinks we were now in no shape to face them…


Message to Major General Avalanche from Corps Commander
November 20th, 1127 AE at 0735 hours

General:

With the offensive phase of our operation concluded, I am redeploying Corps forces as quickly as possible to meet multiple Talon threats, but ‘tis certain my pegasi are exhausted from nearly a full day of constant fighting and would likely fare poorly in battle with them.

To my relief, the gryphons have accepted our offer of parley and I am flying to Sariv to meet the Talon commander. I will do what I can, but take defensive positions and prepare your soldiers for the worst. If I do not return, ‘tis been an honor to serve with you.

Signed,

Fairweather,
Captain, 5th Division
Equestrian Aerial Corps


Parley between Captain Fairweather and commander of 5th Talon Legion

November 20th, 1127 AE at 0755 hours

The following transcript was taken from magic-recorded memory by an EIS-affiliated unicorn present at Parley between Captain Fairweather and the commander of the 5th Talon Legion beginning at 0755 hours outside of Sariv:

Unnamed Tribune: I am Tribune Vancel Diyali, acting commander of the 5th Talon Legion.

Captain Fairweather: And where is Legate Ampok?

Tribune Diyali: Arrested for gross dereliction of duty and possible treason along with her aides. And as we now find thousands of ponies nearly twenty leagues inside Gryphon territory, having wantonly attacked our towns and civilians, can you give me any reason why I should not order my forces to destroy yours, Captain?

Captain Fairweather: Do not act as if you are the aggrieved party, Tribune. You know full well why we are here, and you insult all present by pretending otherwise. Your refusal to acknowledge or punish those responsible for the atrocity at the Inland Shores settlement was what drew this response, and do not act as if you wouldst have done any differently in our place.

Tribune Diyali: Then by your own logic, should I not then take vengeance for the destruction of entire towns and civilian casualties far exceeding yours, wiping out the offending force and then invading pony territory to exact a full measure of retribution?

Captain Fairweather: Spare me the sanctimony, Tribune. I remind you again that your side started this with a massacre of pony civilians and disarmed soldiers, and ‘twas your equally dishonorable denial of those events that forced our hooves. We did what we must to end the Lucavi threat to our settlements since you wouldst not. Had you simply acknowledged the attack and took action against the group yourselves, none of this would have been necessary.

Tribune Diyali: And by the same token, had you simply respected the border and not established illegal settlements in Imperial Lands, we would not now be standing here.

Captain Fairweather: That those were Imperial lands is a matter of dispute, Tribune, and one that should have been resolved through diplomacy, not through hired mercenaries! If you are asking for an apology, you will not receive one, and do not expect an easy fight should you elect to engage us. ‘Twould in fact be pointless anyway. As our mission is complete, I offer you our immediate and unconditional withdrawal from Imperial territory.

Tribune Diyali: You are outnumbered and exhausted whilst my forces are fresh, Captain. Methinks you are in no position to dictate terms.

Captain Fairweather: Be that as it may, an attack could easily result in open war, Tribune. Do you truly wish to risk that? If so, you will find not just us but all of Equestria quite ready. In place of a bloody and pointless border war over a series of events caused by Imperial intransigence, I am offering you a peaceful removal of our forces. ‘Twas never our intention to hold Imperial territory, only destroy the Lucavi group, and that mission is now fulfilled. But if you doubt our intentions, then I offer myself up into your custody, as a hostage held against our promised withdrawal.

First Lieutenant Squall Line and others: Captain!

Tribune Diyali: I will have to consult my superiors on this matter, but until then I accept your offer. In the meantime, you are directed to cease all offensive action and stand down your forces.

Captain Fairweather: Yes to your first request, no to your second. We will take a defensive posture, but be assured we will respond to any attack on our forces. First Lieutenant Squall Line, as you are the ranking Corps officer and have performed superbly in command of the 6th battalion, you will replace me as deputy to General Avalanche and assume command of all Corps troops. My final orders to you are this: You will screen the withdrawal of all Army forces and then do so yourself in good order. But should the Talons attack or threaten to, you will barricade our captured towns the same as the Lucavi did and fight until relieved or overrun.

First Lieutenant Squall Line: Understood, ma’am.

Captain Fairweather: Very well then. I am your prisoner, Tribune, and for all our sakes, I do hope your superiors consider the consequences of their actions carefully…


Message to Major General Avalanche from Acting Corps Commander
November 20th, 1127 AE at 0850 hours

General:

‘Tis with great trepidation I must report that Captain Fairweather has willingly surrendered herself to Talon custody. She did so in an attempt to stay a counterattack and demonstrate that we have no intention of staying in Imperial territory, naming me her replacement as the attached order will show. Thus far, the Talons have not struck but are clearly reconnoitering, probing all along our lines.

I am untangling and reorganizing remaining Corps forces as best I can, but we are far from fresh and nowhere near full strength. As such, even with Army support, ‘tis unlikely at best my four understrength battalions can resist a determined assault by the better part of two Talon legions. To leave defensive positions and attempt withdrawal in their face would only invite attack, in my view, so I strongly recommend we stay put until the gryphons decide what to do.

Consider this a hard-learned lesson from a terrible mistake ‘tis certain I have no intention of ever repeating.

Signed,

First Lieutenant Squall Line
Acting Commander, 5th Division
Equestrian Aerial Corps


Reply to Acting Corps Commander from Major General Avalanche:
November 20th, 1127 AE at 0905 hours

Lieutenant:

Your message is received and understood, though ‘tis certain I cannot but shake my head at it. As you have clearly gained your Captain’s confidence through excellent leadership of the attacks on Sariv and Altea, I will respect her judgment and accept you as my deputy, even as I now pray for her safe return.

Your recommendation is sound. I am likewise setting our defenses and have ordered all our forces to dig in, but I must insist the Corps continue to patrol the perimeter to provide early warning of any Talon strike. ‘Tis now but a waiting game, and we must be ready for anything.

Signed,

Major General Avalanche
Commander, 4th Division
Equestrian Army


Message to Equestrian forces from 5th Talon Legion Commander
Delivered under flag of truce November 20th at 1730 hours

To the Equestrian Commander:

To the disgust of me and my soldiers, we have been directed by our senior leadership to allow your unhindered withdrawal from Imperial territory, as the attached order will show. Said withdrawal is to commence immediately upon receipt of this document on the same roads you came in on, and to be completed by sundown tomorrow.

We will accept no excuses; any forces left behind in gryphon territory after that hour will be attacked. We will be watching, and any attempt at stalling will not be tolerated. We further expect your Auxiliary Guard prisoners to be released as you depart the towns they were captured in, and your Lucavi group captives to be turned over to us. They will be tried by civilian tribunals and if found guilty of what you claim, they will be executed. That is all the assurance I can give you. And far more than you deserve.

Captain Fairweather is unharmed and will be returned to you only after every last pony has left Imperial territory. Be assured she will be slain should you fail to obey these terms…

And be assured that you should you ever attempt such an invasion of Gryphon lands again, our response will be far less restrained.

Signed,

Tribune Vancel Diyali
Acting Commander
5th Talon Legion


Celestial General Order #2108

Issued by Princess Celestia November 24th, 1127 AE

To the officers and soldiers of the Equestrian Armed Forces:

It pleases me to report that Operation Phoenix Fire was a success, resulting in the near-total destruction of the Lucavi group and ending the raider threat to the Inland Shores settlements. Those Army and Aerial Corps soldiers who participated in the operation are to be commended for their determination, valor, and warrior spirit for carrying out offensive operations under short notice and limited intelligence, rapidly penetrating fifty miles into gryphon territory, finding and smashing the group in just three days’ time. Equestria and your princess are grateful for your efforts, and recognize the scope of your accomplishments as well as the difficult circumstances under which they were carried out.

However, with these thanks must come a severe rebuke. Though the operation’s objectives were met, I am gravely disappointed by the conduct of our forces in gryphon territory. With several hundred civilians dead or wounded and entire towns destroyed, I cannot but note that the operation in fact inflicted many times more death and damage to innocents than we suffered at our settlement, and the gryphons have every right to be infuriated for it.

We were invited into their territory to end a threat to both sides, with the admonishment that we make our strikes surgical and respect their citizens. These conditions were categorically not fulfilled, and ‘twas only by the grace of Harmony and the cool heads of the gryphon leadership that full-scale war did not erupt over our excesses. Excesses that may yet result in disciplinary actions, up to and including court-martial on murder charges of soldiers found to have deliberately or wantonly killed gryphon civilians.

I will direct the Equestrian High Council for Military Affairs to investigate the operation and identify such individuals, as well as examine the operational shortcomings in order to make recommendations for reforms in both the Army and Aerial Corps. ‘Tis clear to me that failures of coordination and communication were numerous, and individual ponies exceeding their orders compromised the operation, tipping our hoof and forcing a far more difficult fight against an entrenched enemy. I acknowledge the fact that the Lucavi group barricaded themselves amongst civilians in an effort to buy time and cause enough civilian casualties to force the Talons to intervene, but it need not have come to this with proper cooperation between services and greater discipline on the part of individual soldiers. Surprise was lost, and both pony soldiers and innocent gryphons needlessly paid the price.

I have ordered that significant reparations be made to the Gryphon Empire for this attack, and I will further recommend full ratification of the agreement of 1108 AE to be presented to the Gryphons at parley, with a formal redrawing of the borders to officially cede the tidewater area between branches of the Delamare River to the Empire.

And last but not least, I will visit the remaining Inland Shores colonists personally to request they abandon their settlements before their presence becomes a flashpoint yet again.

Signed,
Princess Celestia Daybringer,
Diarch of Equestria
Canterlot


Royal Visit to Inland Shores Settlements

November 30, 1127 AE

The following is an account of Princess Celestia’s visit to the IS-1 colony, as written by the Princess herself upon conclusion of the IS-2 incident:

With the news of the Lucavi group’s destruction at the combined hooves of the Corps and the Army, there remained but one order of business; the relocation of the remaining two settlements. However, ’twould seem that some of my little ponies are truly stubborn and set in their ways; no amount of requests, recommendations, or even outright orders from Corps or Army officers caused either settlement to budge. According to Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt, both settlements cite the Army and Corps presence in the area as the true source of destabilization, and have requested that Outposts Orange and Beta be abandoned, ‘so as to not allow such a tragedy as befell our brothers and sisters to repeat itself’.

While ‘tis rare that I involve myself in civilian matters such as these, methinks I had little choice. ‘Twas clear that the settlements would not listen to reason from the armed forces; ‘twas also clear that, so long as they existed in the marshlands, the gryphons would never leave them be. So, with my new High Chancellor in tow, I made my way to the Inland Shores colony known on military charts as ‘IS-1’. Such designations had never sat well with me; I much preferred the collective name of ‘Inland Shores’, as ‘IS-1’ sounded clinical and demeaning.

At any rate, I arrived at the colony to great fanfare, as was the wont of my little ponies. ‘Tis something I wish would change; I have no great desire to be lauded and praised wherever I go. Making my way to the town square, where a podium had been set up for me, I looked over the village of seventy ponies, each whispering excitedly to one another. I flared my wings for silence, and began.

“My little ponies, I come to you today so that I may ask you for a favor. I realize you endured hardship to settle in this region, and you have made it clear that you have no wish to leave. Yet I must ask you this; is this area truly worth dying for? Is it worth forcing others to die for? Your sister colony lies in ruin, its residents slain nearly to the last, and its defenders killed in its protection. Is such a cost truly worth these dismal lands?”

There was much muttering and grumbling, before the mayor of the colony stepped forward. “My Princess, we understand that you trust in your armed forces, but we are cut from a different cloth. We believe the presence of military might in this area was what led to the destruction of our sisters and brothers. While we weep for them, ‘tis not their fault. This land is, by rights, Equestria’s, but we are not adverse to open relations with the gryphons. We would, in fact, welcome it, but for the presence of armed ponies not five miles distant. If the Corps and the Army would withdraw their armed forces, we believe that the gryphons would do the same.”

I regarded him with bewilderment; surely he was not so naive? “Mayor, ‘twas no fault of the Corps or Army that led to the destruction of your sister colony. Nor, I grant, was it the fault of the Imperial military. ‘Twas the result of an overzealous raider group going above and beyond their usual methods that caused such a tragedy. This was something none of those under me could have foreseen. To lay the blame at the hooves of those who died defending your brothers and sisters is to do their memory a grave injustice.”

The mayor’s eyes narrowed slightly. “The only injustice is that you rely on force of arms to maintain peace with the gryphons. For one who promotes the ideals of peace and harmony, ‘tis slightly hypocritical that you shield yourself behind armed mares and stallions, my Princess.”

This earned him narrowed eyes from my guards, as well as High Chancellor North Star. “Watch your tongue, mayor,” she warned him. “You forget yourself.”

I raised a wing in her direction, indicating silence, before turning back to the mayor, my own eyes impassive. “The gryphons respect military might, mayor. Withdrawing our forces from the border would be a sign of great weakness on our parts, and many more ponies would suffer under the resulting invasion.”

“Perchance if you wouldst simply speak with them—“ he began.

“We have tried, mayor, on numerous occasions,” I interrupted. “All attempts at ratifying a formal peace treaty, one with disarmed borders, have been rebuffed. The gryphons refuse to leave their border bases, and so long as they have their armed forces so close to our frontier, we must do likewise.”

“One might argue, my Princess, that merely having our forces in such close proximity is inherently dangerous,” he pointed out. “Wars have begun in such a manner in the past.”

“I cannot deny that,” I admitted. “But your presence in these disputed lands is not helping matters in the slightest.”

“These lands are Equestria’s by rights, My Princess. They were never formally ceded to the Empire,” the mayor said. “I did my research before choosing this location to settle. The gryphons can bluster all they wish, but at day’s end, ‘tis not our fault.”

“That will soon change, mayor,” I replied, beginning to feel exasperated with this obstinate pony before me. “As part of our reparations to the Empire, the treaty of 1108 AE will be formally ratified by the Equestrian High Council, ceding these lands to the Gryphon Empire.” Here, the mayor’s jaw fell open, as did many ponies’ in the crowd. I continued on, “Your settlements were made while these lands were in dispute, thus triggering this entire tragic affair. ‘Twas akin to prodding a timberwolf with a stick and hoping it does not bite you.”

Recovering his composure, he merely arched an eyebrow at me. “One might consider that the armed forces were the stick in question, my Princess. The Corps garrison at our sister colony was an ill-placed move.”

“And I would remind you that they fell defending your sister colony to nearly the last soldier. Thirty-nine well-trained soldiers were slain in defense of your brothers and sisters, and hundreds more are dead and injured to end the group that committed the crime.”

‘Twas then that the mayor made a tremendous blunder. “Such senseless waste. Had the garrison never been there in the first place, ‘tis likely they and our sister colony would yet live.”

I narrowed my eyes at that. “And what, precisely, are you implying…?”

“I imply nothing, my Princess. I am outright saying that the Corps, by garrisoning troops at our colony, invited disaster. That the Corps garrison was the true target of the raiders’ aggressions, and that our colony perished solely for being in the crossfire!”

‘Twas rare that I could feel such white-hot fury. Rarer still that it be directed towards one of my little ponies. Yet this stallion had crossed a line. ‘Twas time to remind him that he was not as knowledgeable as he thought.

I stepped off the podium to stand before the mayor directly, managing to keep a calm face despite my ire. “Are you daft, Mayor? A direct threat of violence had been levied against your sister colony. ‘Twas that action that prompted Lieutenant Squall Line to send the garrison in the first place, with the permission of that settlement’s mayor. They were even disarmed, all to placate your naive notion that force of arms merely brings conflict.”

I had touched a nerve with that one; several ponies in the audience grumbled in displeasure. The mayor narrowed his eyes at me. “Even disarmed, they were military ponies. And threat or no, our sister colony did not need the protection of a royal-sanctioned military force that rewards armed conflict! In the end, our brothers and sisters died because of your military’s bloodlust!”

That was the final straw. Tapping into the sun, I allowed my mane and tail to ignite, and my eyes to glow with my power. “ENOUGH!” I thundered, my voice echoing across the swamplands; I was certain that the other remaining settlement could hear me loud and clear, to say nothing of the gryphon forces at Black Hawk Base. The mayor scrambled back, clearly alarmed.

We have listened to thee disparage Our armed forces enough, Mayor. That thou shouldst say thy friends died because of Our Corps is a grave insult, both to thy friends and to Our forces! Dost thou truly believe that thy friends would still live, had the Corps not been there? Then thou art a foal! The threat was levied against thy sister colony, not the Corps itself! The raiders took advantage of their disarmed state; a state they were only in because thee and thy fellow colonies refused to allow them to defend themselves properly! They serve and protect all Equestria, thou misanthropic buffoon, if thou wouldst but let them!

Feeling confident that I had well and truly gotten their attention with a rare display of rage and use of the Royal Canterlot Voice, I reined in my power, returning my appearance to normal. “I had come here to ask you to leave peacefully. ‘Twas my hope that I could persuade you of the folly of staying. But ‘tis now apparent my hopes were in vain. Therefore, I am changing my request into a royal order: The Inland Shores colonies are to be disbanded, posthaste, and their residents relocated to no fewer than ten miles within the Equestrian border. The settlements must be completely evacuated within forty-eight hours, and the evacuation will be monitored by the Royal Guard, led by Master Sergeant Ironsides.” I nodded at the well-built earth pony stallion, who saluted in response. Turning back to the mayor, I added my final judgement.

“If anypony is found here after those forty-eight hours are over, they are to be considered in violation of the border with the gryphons, and detained at Outpost Orange for provoking conflict. And after that...?”

I paused only to smile thinly. “And after that, as this is shortly to become gryphon territory, you return at your own peril. And be assured that when the gryphons come to kill you, nopony will lift a hoof or horn in your defense.”

With that, I turned on my heel and strode back to my chariot, my Celestial Guards flanking me as Ironsides began barking orders to the Royal Guards and other military forces. As we took off for the IS-3 settlement, I sighed. ‘Twas hard to be a benevolent ruler when my own ponies refused to cooperate in the face of all evidence. And actions such as those I had just taken reminded me all too much of a far darker time in my past, not three centuries prior…


Resignation Notice prepared by Second Lieutenant Thunderbolt
Received in Canterlot on November 25th, 1127 AE

In the course of the events surrounding the destruction of the IS-2 colony, I have had to take a hard look at myself. I was personally and emotionally compromised during the course of these events, and many suffered for it, both pony and gryphon. I now fully regret what I became and have no wish to ever be that pony again. I thought myself an avenger of those whom I’d lost. But in truth, I was a demon that spared none before me and did not distinguish between raider and innocent life, a spirit of pure hate and vengeance willing to sacrifice countless civilians and soldiers in its pursuit.

The official reports of the Lucavi group’s destruction could not truly begin to describe the ferocity and bloodlust I felt; though none said it out loud, even my own troops were afraid of me in the end. I could see it in their eyes, when they looked upon me at battle’s end and trembled. I tried to convince myself afterwards that my actions were justified, but when the nightmares would not cease and I felt myself haunted by the ghosts of not just my dead friends but those I had slain, ‘twas then that I realized what I became, and how far I had fallen.

I am officially tendering my resignation from active service, along with relinquishing my commission. I feel I am no longer worthy of it, given the atrocities I committed and soldiers I so callously sacrificed in their pursuit. If My Princess wishes, I will surrender myself to face court-martial for my innumerable crimes, but I cannot atone from a prison cell.

Thus, I respectfully ask I be allowed to live out the remainder of my years as a civilian and attempt to make my legacy one of life, not death. I further request to be awarded the Dove of Fidelity to serve as a reminder of all that I lost. And all I became.

Signed,

Thunderbolt
Former Second Lieutenant
Equestrian Aerial Corps


Letter of Confession prepared by First Lieutenant Squall Line

Received via secure EIS transmissions on December 5th, 1127 AE

The following letter is the primary reason all of the documents preceding this one have been sealed until now. There is naught here but the unbiased truth, however grim it might be… —Firefly

My Princess:

What I am about to reveal could be considered high treason on my part. If you wished to come to Outpost Beta to execute me personally, I would not blame you in the slightest. But my own guilty conscience can be ignored no more.

The truth is that this entire affair was my fault, beginning with the destruction of the IS-2 colony. My actions to protect the settlement were more than a simple error of judgement. ‘Twas a calculated move on my part. I deliberately sent a disarmed platoon there not in expectation they would avert an attack… but that they would be captured by Lucavi raiders along with the rest of the colonists.

In my attempts to resolve the Inland Shores situation peacefully, I was in fact contacted secretly by Mistress Altima, who offered to arrange an attack where all present would be captured but not harmed, taken hostage to force the removal of the settlements. Her price was extortionate, but the alternative, she implied, was a bloody raid with dozens dead if we did not comply.

In the end, I acceded because ‘twas the only way I could see that would not lead to eventual bloodshed—if the settlers understood that gryphons would not spare them harassment even with disarmed military forces, perchance then they would come to their senses. Having paid her ‘protection’ fee in full via Corps funds I embezzled from my own outpost’s budget, Mistress Altima promised me that they would not harm the soldiers or civilians, holding them at Isca for ransom.

The idea was that they would demand not gems, but the withdrawal of the remaining colonists for their safe return. She manipulated and betrayed me, and an entire colony of ponies as well as good soldiers paid the price for my foalish naivety.

I would beg for your forgiveness, but in truth, I am undeserving, and I offer myself up for arrest and court-martial. I can only ask that, in the unlikely event you choose to retain me as a soldier, you place me somewhere far from the gryphon border and Thunderbolt, who has every reason to hate me.

I will bear the shame of my actions for all my life, and I know that nothing I do can ever bring back those soldiers or colonists. If nothing else, be assured that after such a betrayal, I will never trust in the honor or better nature of non-ponies again.

Signed,

First Lieutenant Squall Line
Equestrian Aerial Corps
Outpost Beta


Preliminary Review and Recommendations: Operation Phoenix Fire

Prepared by Equestrian High Council for Military Affairs

Delivered to Princess Celestia January 3rd, 1128 AE

My Princess:

We have concluded our preliminary review of Corps and Army actions during Operation Phoenix Fire. I regret to report that we have found their performance, for the most part, quite wanting.

Though the operational objective was met and individual soldiers and small units generally fought very well, casualties were needlessly high and coordination lacking between the services. This resulted in severe disruptions to timetable and an inability to quickly react to changing circumstances, particularly on the second day.

Further, loss of discipline on the part of certain soldiers resulted in bloody battles due to loss of surprise, forcing an urban night fight against an entrenched enemy hiding amongst its populace. Had circumstances been only slightly different, this operation might well have ended in disaster with the Lucavi group still intact and our attacking force crushed between three Talon legions.

Our full interim report can be found on subsequent pages of this document, but may it suffice to say that given the destruction and civilian casualties we inflicted, ‘tis extremely fortunate our incursion did not result in major reprisals and open war.

‘Tis certain the gryphons showed rare restraint, but such cannot be counted in the future. Our excesses and the civilian casualties we inflicted are a stain on the honor of the Equestrian Armed Forces, and ones we must take steps to ensure does not happen again…

As to the question of ex-Lieutenants Thunderbolt and Squall Line, we fear that public court-martials would only further stoke gryphon anger were their actions and roles in this bloody affair to be revealed, and raise the chance of Imperial retaliation along a still-tense border. Thus, our recommendation is that Thunderbolt be allowed to retire into the reserves and granted the Dove of Fidelity as he requests.

The reports of his combat ability are almost too fanciful to believe, but dozens of after-action reports all say the same thing: that he was unstoppable and unkillable, and his affinity for lightning, which he used to kill two shielded Gryphon mages, was outright terrifying. The Lances report that remnants of the Lucavi group have put a bounty on his head and he is now known as “The Lightning Demon” among them. ‘Tis unlikely they would ever collect even if they could reach him.

The EIS will keep close watch on him, and take action should that demon he became reemerge. But according to the psychiatric exams he has undergone, keeping him far from the border and gryphons should go a long way towards preventing that, as will having ponies to help and nurture in place of the ones he lost. To that end, he now asks to be allowed to teach at the Remedial Flyers’ school in Cloudsdale, and to be kept as far away from combat as possible.

“I want to serve the cause of life, not death,” he told one of his EIS interviewers. And when asked why, he replied: “Because ‘tis the only way I may now repent for my actions and give the loss of my friends meaning.” His remorse is real, and he now clings to his love for his lost comrades as a lifeline. In truth, there is no punishment we could give him that would be equal to the one he already suffered, and thus we feel ‘twould be best to allow him the chance to find the peace he seeks.

Squall Line’s case is more difficult. At first glance, his lapse in judgement was horrific, but at the same time, ‘tis certain he was in an impossible situation, trying to defend badly exposed colonists who did not want to be defended. He was then offered what seemed like a way out by Mistress Altima, who, we have also learned from Captain Fairweather, betrayed the trust of her own side as well as Squall Line. In the end, he simply grasped the lifeline she offered, and none here can say what we would have done differently in his place.

‘Tis also worth noting his outstanding performance in command of 3rd battalion and later the entire Corps force during the operation. He participated in combat directly at both Sariv and Altea and fought superbly according to many witnesses; the Army and Aerial Corps soldiers under his command all praised his leadership. His casualties were low and his objectives taken quickly; he alone among the attacking forces coordinated his joint Army/Corps troops well.

As such, we feel ‘twould be a terrible waste of a fine combat commander to imprison him or dismiss from service. Nevertheless, ‘tis also certain punishment is called for, and thus we recommend demotion to Second Lieutenant and a sealed letter of reprimand, recalling him to an administrative position at Corps Headquarters in Canterlot for the foreseeable future. After two years, he may be reinstated to combat posts at the discretion of the Corps commanding general…

Signed,

General Hard Charger (ret.),
Head of Investigative Committee
Equestrian High Council for Military Affairs


I speak for both myself and Blindside when I say ‘twas very hard to research this, Captain. I thought I knew the full extent of my mentor’s pain and that he had likely slain civilians, but ‘tis certain I had no idea how bloody his hooves truly were. Now that I do, much of what he said to me before basic about never being able to wash that blood away makes more sense now.

I also admit to finding myself at a loss regarding then-Lieutenant Squall Line. I always thought him little more than a bigot and never gave even the slightest ponder as to what might have shaped him or why he felt that way. The betrayal he suffered was most bitter and his guilt must have in some ways been as crushing as Thunderbolt’s… as well as his determination to never let it happen again. Nor could I fathom why he was eventually twice named Corps Commander in its aftermath, only to now learn that ‘twas in part because he was in fact a very good combat commander.

Methinks ‘tis not just one, but two bitter horse pills I have been forced to swallow, Captain.

—Fell Flight

I understand and feel your pain, old friend, as well as hers. But I would like to think that in the end, Thunderbolt did atone and break the hold his demons had over him. In any event, ‘tis no doubt we were far from the only ones to draw bitter lessons from this operation, as I believe you can attest, Ambassador Kaval?

—Firefly


Indeed, Captain. I was not present in Equis at the time these events happened, as I was still but a young Wind Knight defending our northern settlements against harpie raids. But ‘tis certain its effects were far-reaching and felt even in the Gryphon homeland. Methinks I can tell you some of the aftermath I saw or later learned of.

To begin with, it made clear to many that the ponies could be pushed too far. That far from having no stomach for combat, they could and would fight with ferocity, and we took Equestrian forces lightly at our peril. As a result, the Office of Owls began keeping a much tighter leash on its raider groups, and even occasionally intervened to keep any one group from growing too large or powerful. Groups that exceeded their orders or engaged in deprivations against their own side like the Lucavi were punished, sometimes severely; more than once a group was visited by Ravens—or even Red Talons like myself—to make clear our displeasure and mete out occasionally lethal discipline.

Second, it made clear that as good as individual pony soldiers could be, pony doctrine at that time left much to be desired and had many weaknesses that could be exploited—weaknesses that Prelate Gaius would draw upon in creating his war plans. ‘Tis certain your attack on the Lucavi was closely studied on the Imperial side as well, and in fact remains to this day a favorite discussion and exercise topic at our tactical schools… as a case study in how not to carry out a major offensive operation. ‘Twas oft used as an example of how poor discipline and lack of combined arms coordination could undermine even the best-thought plans.

And yet, for all that, methinks one lesson was not learned by the Gryphon side—that for all the mistakes made, pony forces still succeeded in their task with sheer stubbornness and determination, overcoming all obstacles they faced and even willing to die in a Talon counterattack if it meant completing their mission. ‘Twas a lesson that would not be driven home until much later, to our great cost.

As for former Legate Ampok, may it suffice to say that she became one of a very select few who was brought before the Empress in chains and lived. But I believe you wouldst agree with me, Captain, when I say she should be the one to tell her story, given how important she would one day be to both sides. And to me.

—Ambassador Layan Kaval

Author's Note:

This chapter has been long in the making, folks, as its length should indicate. I even spent the better part of day this past weekend learning a brand new photo tool just so I could make these maps, which I hope everyone appreciated. It was a bit of an experiment to see how well they would work and how easy they were to make, as I want to use them for the coming war as well.

Thanks go to my own Equestrian High Council for Military Affairs, including Denim Blue, SilentWoodFire, AJ_Aficionado and of course Leo Archon, who wrote the entire section on Celestia’s visit to IS-1 and contributed to other areas as well. Lots of comments and discussion over this chapter, and I think it was greatly enjoyed by all.

PreviousChapters Next