• Published 4th Aug 2015
  • 5,945 Views, 916 Comments

Before the Storm: The Rise of Firefly - Firesight



Before the Wonderbolts, there were the Bolt Knights. And before Rainbow Dash, there was Firefly. The story of Rainbow Dash's ancestor, the origin of the Wonderbolts, and the coming of the Great Pony/Gryphon War.

  • ...
19
 916
 5,945

PreviousChapters Next
Part 14 - Know Thy Enemy

“The great kingdoms and empires, mares and stallions of this world have always been defined not so much by their friends… as by their enemies.”

During the times I have taken the quill from Captain Firefly, I have also had the opportunity to read pony literature. I found the above line in a book on military doctrine, purportedly said by Princess Luna prior to her banishment. I confess, when I saw it for the first time, and later when I shared it with my former adversary, it gave us both pause. For on further reflection… ’tis quite true. I would not be the gryphon I became in the days of the war without the Captain or her Bolt Knights, nor would the Captain have become the pony she did without myself or the Red Talons.

’Tis for that reason that she insisted I write the next chapter of this tale in full and by myself. I do so gladly, for the sake of a worthy foe, my greatest rival… and now, my most honored friend.

Signed,

Prelate Layan Kaval (ret.)
Ambassador to Equestria
Gryphon Kingdom Consulate, Canterlot


The Imperial Capital of Mosclaw was much as I remembered it.

From the massive moat and outlying villages that surrounded The Citadel to the ever-present smell of baking bread, scones and meat from their markets, the great fortress city had stood up to several sieges over the centuries and had never fallen once, not even to the Cloven of the Sun. Whilst the civilian areas were constantly patrolled by auxiliary guard gryphons, both from the ground and air, they gave way to green-armored Paladins the closer you got to the Citadel and seat of imperial power itself. Access to Citadel airspace was greatly restricted, and attempting to enter it without proper permission would either be met with a lethal bolt from the lightning orbs that studded the towers and ramparts or crossbow fire from patrolling Paladins.

We had such permission, but were scarcely treated less suspiciously for it. Every piece of parchment was scrutinized, as were all in possession of them; every signature and seal were checked and every gryphon magically scanned by mages. I was given particular attention and forced to surrender my weapons and armor before entering, but I cared not—a Talaeus was a living weapon, and I could fight quite effectively with but beak, claws and talons if need be.

In truth, I had been to the city and palace twice before, under far more auspicious circumstances. The first time I was welcomed as a hero, brought to meet the Empress herself after I had slain a full-grown dragon raiding our northern mines. I was then dyed black and painted with red stripes before being presented with my onyx armor, formally pronounced a Talaeus and named a protector of the realm, assigned to the then-Legate Gaius’ legion as the climactic campaign against the Elder Rams began. The second time was but two years later when my victorious commander was promoted to Consul and named commander of all forces on the Equestrian continent, entrusted in a secret ceremony with planning the coming war against the ponies.

And now he was being brought back in disgrace to answer for his failures. In my more private moments, I admitted they were real—that he had underestimated the ponies and perchance been a bit too enamored of his own plans. The former, however, was a fault shared by all of us, and the latter I at least partially blamed myself for—I should have spoken up more forcefully against sending assassins after the hatchling; what made him such a good commander in my mind was that he would listen to my counsel. Nonetheless, whatever mistakes he made, my loyalty to him did not waver, and I would risk my own remaining standing to try to save the greatest gryphon military mind and best commander I had ever known.

The Consul himself was very calm as we entered the Citadel itself. His wing shackles leaving him unable to fly, he was escorted up the steps and down the wide, firegem-lit hallway, one filled with statues of famous gryphon warriors, each in front of paintings depicting the conflicts they had fought in. ’Twas an impressive display that reflected our race’s war-filled past, and one of the reasons we thought ourselves better than the ponies we sought to supplant—we had to fight very hard for our survival over the many millennia we could trace our history, battling a multitude of powerful foes… and occasionally ourselves as we struggled to unite our tribes. In the end we had succeeded, building a prospering Empire in the face of harsh lands and hostile races, and all without the help of weather control or over-reliance on magic. We had to fight for everything we now had, and we believed that alone made us the superior race…

Never mind the fact that as predators, we thought it our right to rule plant-eaters like the ponies.

Such thoughts were lost as we finally entered the inner sanctum itself, an opulent great hall filled with crystalline floors and golden statues interspersed with oversized Paladin guards. Green armor gave way to red as we got closer to the other end of hallway, where the Empress’s Praetorian Guard took over. They were the equivalent to Celestia’s personal guard, and like them their members were selected for both ability and loyalty from the regular Paladin ranks.

And in their midst… sat a single figure, attended to by multiple viziers and maids, with dozens of other commanders and advisors present for the occasion. She was a resplendent sight, a large earth gryphon eagless who had presided over the Empire for the past thirty years, dressed in a royal red robe and gold tunic. Her hindquarters were tigerlike, orange with black stripes, whilst her chestfeathers were cream-colored… though her natural colors were nearly lost as her normally orange wingfeathers were dyed multiple hues and tipped with diamond dust, glittering in the low firegem light. Her ensemble was completed by the understated crown on her head, whilst the treasured symbol of gryphon heritage and might, the Boreas Idol, sat over her throne, marking her as its owner and rightful heir to its authority and power.

She was Empress Palamecia, ruler of the Empire… and if my former commander was not careful, she would be his executioner.


As we were brought before her and bowed in greeting, her Grand Vizier, a sky gryphon tiercel named Pascil, spoke first. “My Empress… by your command, I now present former Consul Salvio Gaius and his adjutant, Centurion Layan Kaval,” her chief aide and advisor informed her, slightly needlessly. But protocols had to be followed; all those she held audiences with would be formally introduced.

“We are surprised to see thee here, Talaeus,” she surprised me by addressing me first, speaking in the formal—if slightly archaic—court dialect and resorting to the royal ‘we’ as those in her station often did. “We would have thought thou wouldst have forsaken thy former master in light of his grave misdeeds.”

I stepped forward fractionally and bowed low, knowing better than to come too close to her; even my slight forward movement was met with talons moving towards sword hilts. “That I have not is because I feel the fault in this matter is not his own, My Empress. If you wouldst allow me to, I wish to speak on his behalf.” I held my bow as I spoke.

She studied me for a moment. “In honor of thy past deeds and service, we would allow thee to do so… once we have heard from thy former master himself,” she decided, turning her attention on the manacled gryphon before her, eyes narrowing as she gave a brief look and nod to Grand Vizier Pascil, who nodded and unfurled a scroll.

Pascil, a tiercel of somewhat reedy build that belied his booming voice, stepped forward to address the court as a whole. “Salvio Gaius, you stand accused of cowardice, gross negligence and incompetence, and dishonoring the name of the Empire for surrendering to the ponies without a fight,” he recited in a clear voice that carried to all corners of the room. “These charges carry the death penalty, unless you can convince the Empress to spare thee. Have you anything to say in your defense?”

“Indeed I do.” To my surprise, the Consul closed his eyes and smiled, then spoke in a slow, clear voice as if he was reciting something.

“The Art of War is of vital importance to a kingdom. ’Tis a matter of life or death, a road either to safety, or to ruin.”

Of all the things he might have said, that was perchance the least expected phrase he could have uttered as everyone stared at him, almost dumbstruck. But instead of explaining himself, he simply issued another cryptic quote:

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, whilst defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.”

A low muttering came up, aides and soldiers glancing at and occasionally whispering to each other in low tones, wondering what in the name of our ancestors and present Empress he was doing. And I, too, had some sudden doubts about his sanity as he said his next sentence:

“To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy’s resistance without fighting.”

“Sacrilege!” a cry went up, and I was shocked at such a statement as well—how could you have excellence without conquering your enemies in combat? And I feared he had sealed his fate as he said another line:

“The commander who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.”

I and the rest of the gryphons present were now certain the former Consul had lost his mind. Gryphon commanders never advocated retreat; ’twas one of the crimes he was now answering for. “And you think you are this jewel?” the head of the Paladin order, Primarch Livia Cassius asked derisively. “You, who allowed the ponies to insult us and then abandoned his positions against orders without a fight?”

In response, the Consul turned directly to face her, the look on his face reminiscent of a teacher about to instruct a cub. There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested… and commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed,” he informed us, drawing himself up straight again and turning back to face the Empress as he knew his final assertion amounted to high treason, stunning all present back into silence. “He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious.”

All eyes then turned on the Empress herself as she narrowed her gaze and her tinted talons drummed at the ground beneath her. “Salvio Gaius, thy life now hangs by a thread. ’Tis only memory of thy past deeds and victories that has spared thee to this point. Nevertheless, our patience is at its end,” she informed him, leaning forward to pin him with her most intimidating stare. “We shall order thy death here and now unless thou explains what thy disrespectful manner and blasphemous statements mean immediately.” Her voice was calm and measured, which just made the threat they delivered all the more dangerous.

“Your pardon, My Empress,” he bowed low before her for a second time, finally sounding like he was speaking for himself, to my great relief. “I simply wished to share with you some small pieces of military wisdom I have learned from the ponies.”

Several scoffing sounds were heard. “The ponies have no military wisdom,” Primarch Livia claimed. “Just an overpowered princess they can hide behind.”

“Aye. ’Tis what I thought as well.” He spared the Primarch but a disdainful glance. “I am in fact quoting one of the greatest pony military minds to ever exist—one of Celestia’s first generals; an earth pony architect of the early Equestrian Army,” he explained. “His real name is lost to time, but he was given the title of Sun Master by Celestia herself and heavily influenced her. On the way here, thanks to materials obtained for me by the Centurion, I read his works and found his words compelling. Methinks there is much we might learn from him.”

“Learn from a pony?” The Primarch snorted in disdain. “You wouldst have us, the great Gryphon Empire, learn about military affairs from those leaf-eating preachers of peace and harmony?”

The consul gave her a dour look. “And thus do we fall victim to an illusion and very deadly conceit—that we alone know what it is to fight wars.”

“We do,” the Primarch grated—she had never liked the Consul, even going back to his days as a mere Legate. “Our many feudal fights. The Unification Wars. The struggle against the Cloven. The campaigns against the Harpies and Elder Rams. Border battles with the Zebras and Saddle Arabians. How could those soft-hearted ponies even begin to compare with our past?”

“As you have listed our conflicts, I shall recite theirs in turn,” Gaius replied, giving her a look. “The campaigns of the Crystal and Roaman Empires, which at their peak conquered half a continent. The invasion of the Overmare and her Maregol Horde. The Spursian and Peloponysian Wars, including the heroic stand at Thermarepylae. The Dragonic Conflicts. The Diamond Dog Battles. And most recently and bloodily… the War of the Celestial Sisters,” he recited evenly. ’Twas an impressive list, easily matching the Primarch’s in size. “The truth, which we were blind to, is that the ponies are very versed in warfare and fully capable of it. The truth is that despite their pretensions of peace and harmony, they have had soldiers and leaders, armies and warriors every bit the equal of our own!”

’Twas a full minute before the uproar that sparked died down, with several of Palamecia’s military aides now demanding my former master’s immediate execution for blasphemous and heretical statements.

But to her credit, the Empress was not given to rash judgments; I knew from prior meetings that she was always cool in emotion and measured in her responses. She had a sharp mind of her own and had not gained her post without learning how to navigate palace intrigue and make her own decisions, and her refusal do anything rashly was the only thing sparing the Consul now as she held up a taloned paw, silencing all her advisors.

“Thou makes very provocative statements, former Consul,” she told him in prize understatement. “Ones that would normally lead us to doubt thy state of mind. But we have known thee long enough to realize thee would not say such things lightly. So we offer thee one chance to explain thyself,” she promised, though her undertone told him to make his explanations good ones.

For the first time, I sensed some relief from the Consul as he realized that his first, and most crucial gambit had worked, and ’twas only later I realized exactly what he was doing—by making seemingly outrageous statements and assertions, he had gained everyone’s attention and an opportunity to elaborate on them, thus giving him more of a chance to save himself.

“I thank My Empress for her wisdom and patience,” he bowed low again, though both he and I knew at that moment he had only won the opening battle of what was likely to be a protracted war, now fought for not just his reputation, but for his very life.

“I would wish My Empress to know first and foremost that I take full responsibility for the failures of my command. They were ones borne of ignorance and arrogance, ones that would have cost us dearly had we invaded under my original strategy,” he began. “I would also wish her to know that in truth, Celestia has done us a great service by aborting our invasion. Had we proceeded as planned, our armies would have been obliterated within days, if not hours by her counterattack, followed by the ponies driving us from their continent with the loss of our entire force.”

More derisive sounds were heard, which the Empress silenced again. “Let us be clear on what thou just stated. Thou yielded… without a fight… to a single pony?” she paraphrased very simply and directly, the import of her statement obvious—a gryphon commander who surrendered without a fight was, under normal circumstances, not worthy of his race.

The Consul chose his next words very carefully. “A pony whose power dwarfs the entire Empire and whose abilities extend far beyond simply controlling the sun,” my former master replied evenly. “There is no honor and glory in needless suicide, My Empress. Had we fought her, we would have been utterly annihilated. In ordering a withdrawal, I recognized that our cause was lost and spared our forces to fight another day.”

Hearing the renewed doubt and derision, I stepped forward and bowed once more. “My Empress, if I may…” I spoke up, waiting to be acknowledged. She indulged me with a nod. “I was present at the parley. I know it seems impossible, but on my honor, the Consul is neither lying nor exaggerating. Celestia’s power is unequaled, even by the Empire’s full might. I have fought in many engagements against a multitude of different foes, and I know how to judge strength. So believe me when I say that the Consul is correct—that had we gone to war, she would not simply have defeated us. She would have destroyed us.”

She considered me for a moment. “Thy reputation precedes thee, Layan Kaval. Great are thy deeds, even amongst thy Talaeus brethren. But we must question whether thy long service to thy former master clouds thy judgement.”

And thus, ’twas now time for me to risk my own head. “’Tis true that I have to come to respect him greatly during my years in his service, My Empress. His mind is brilliant, his strategies superb. But ’tis also true that I know my place and duty. That I would not be here if I did not believe in him, and did not hold him at fault for what happened,” I told her with great conviction. “No warrior wanted to wage war on the ponies more than me. No warrior wished to strike back for the cowardly attack on our base more than me. And for all that, I now stand before you and say that had we done so, the results would have been disastrous. That acquiescence to Celestia’s terms was our only option. That by doing so, the Consul saved both our forces and our very Empire from destruction,” I told her fervently.

“This all seems rather difficult to believe,” the Primarch spoke again. “Celestia has never been seen to fight before, often going to great lengths to avoid conflict. By all reports, the last possible time she was in combat was against her own insane sister, whom she simply banished with some lost magical trinkets,” she rolled her eyes. “Hardly the work of this unstoppable force you describe.”

The Consul looked at me, and nodded. ’Twas time to bring out what ponies called our trump card… and hope we were not slain on the spot for it. “Your pardon, My Empress,” I bowed to her again. “But I regret I have broken the rules of your court. I have in my possession an item your Paladin Guards failed to detect.”

That brought an immediate reaction as several dozen Paladins and Praetorians stepped or flew forward, weapons leveled, and nearly a dozen moved in front of the Empress, forming a living wall between her and me as her mage also cast a shield spell around her. Assassinating her would have been impossible at that point, even for me, but ’twas hardly my intention. Ignoring the crossbows and blades aimed at me from grounded and hovering gryphons alike, I reached into a hidden pocket behind my wing and pulled out… a single rose ruby turned into a storage gem. We had come up with additional uses for them other than mind implants, and this was one—their invisibility to conventional magical scans made it possible to smuggle items into places that would normally be inaccessible, like The Citadel itself.

Showing ’twas but a simple gem to all present, I triggered it and then simply tossed it on the floor, where with a burst of magic it turned into… a single box, containing nearly a dozen green emeralds, all identically cut. “These are memory crystals, My Empress,” my former master explained shortly. “The Centurion obtained them at my request immediately after our meeting with Celestia, and smuggled them in at my direction. They contain recorded memories taken from soldiers present at the parley. I must apologize for the manner in which we present them, but we feared your agents and advisors would not let you see them. So if you think I exaggerate Celestia’s capabilities, you are invited to observe them for yourself.”

“My Empress, he has willfully broken the rules of your court, dishonored his oath and disrespected your throne! That alone merits his execution!” Primarch Livia pointed a talon at us. “Give us the order, and we will end this farce now!” she offered hopefully, only to be silenced with another raised paw.

“Methinks thou hath always had a flair for the theatrical, former Consul. And it may yet be the death of thee,” The Empress said, a warning note in her voice like she was actively considering the Primarch’s words. “But we find the testimony and loyalty of Layan Kaval to be compelling. We will therefore see these memories and judge for ourselves their validity,” she overruled her own protesting advisors.

At that, we both bowed and stepped back. If I’d been allowed to, I would have happily noted that these were normally devilishly difficult to obtain, especially under such short notice, but fortunately there were enough soldiers present at the parley willing to undergo the very intrusive magic it required, if it would prevent what they now knew to be a suicidal war.

After confirming the crystals only held memories and not something more sinister, the Empress’s personal mage levitated a random green emerald right out of the box and into the air, cast a spell and the playback began, projecting the recorded memories it contained right before the Empress and all watching.

It was taken from a nearby Talon eagless, and what we saw through her eyes and ears happened exactly as I remembered it. The initial arrival of the three ponies followed by the appearance of nearly the entire Gamma garrison… and then the Celestial Guard followed by Celestia herself, looking dangerous and deadly in her golden armor. She addressed the Consul in fluent Aeric, laid out the terms of our surrender in all but name, told him he was a fool who had neglected the most basic rule of warfare, and then when he provoked her, she demonstrated her power.

By the time the first recording was done, the room had fallen silent. By the time the third was shown, the mood had grown strangely nervous, eyes casting about anxiously, Paladin guards suddenly wondering if the Princess might even appear here. By the sixth, there could be no further doubt. One memory crystal could be faked. Perchance even two or three. But not the dozen we brought, all showing the same thing seamlessly from different angles and gryphons. By the time the Empress indicated she’d seen enough, the conclusion was unmistakeable:

Celestia was utterly unstoppable by any current craft or magic we possessed.

“Very well.” The Empress closed her eyes. “We concede that backed by their princess, the Equestrians are too powerful to attack. But how would we not see this as even more thy failure, Salvio Gaius?” she asked him pointedly. “Methinks Celestia was right—that thou failed utterly to understand thy enemy and plan properly for them. We assumed thou hadst plans to deal with Celestia. Didst thou have none?”

“I did, My Empress,” he promised her, and ’twas the truth—he had in fact devoted much thought and planning to the question of Celestia, how to both force her surrender and then take her power for our own. At the time, I thought his strategy to be quite solid… until its underlying assumptions proved false. “Unfortunately, none of my plans took her potential combat ability into account. For why would they?” he headed off her next statement quickly. “Her usual response to our provocations was restraint and offers of negotiation; actual retaliation was rare and limited.

“All we ever received from her were signs of weakness, My Empress; there was absolutely nothing to suggest she was willing or even capable of combat. As her last known war was three centuries ago, I thought at most she might command her forces from afar, but ’twas no indication she could actually take the field herself… let alone annihilate us.” He bowed his head. “Nevertheless, methinks you are correct. That we did not know the extent of her power was inexcusable. But ’tis an oversight I have now rectified.”

“Rectified? Hardly. She lectured you on military affairs,” Livia all but sneered. The two had never liked each other; the Primarch thought the Consul too independent and more interested in maneuver and machinations than direct combat whilst the Consul saw the Primarch as a mediocre warrior and leader at best, a commander who owed her station more to her familial ties than any actual ability, resenting her constant interference in his affairs and attempts to turn the Empress against him. “Does it sting, Salvio Gaius? To be told by a pony that you are a poor military commander?” she needled him.

For the first time, my master’s eyes narrowed, pinning the Paladin leader with a stare. Several times the pair had come close to a duel, and I wondered then if there might yet be a reckoning between them. “I say rectified because I deliberately provoked her, to get a sense of her and what she could do, Primarch,” he dripped scorn on her title. “Now we know, and all it cost us was a temporary withdrawal. And yes, it is temporary,” he insisted as he turned back to face the throne.

“As you yourself pointed out, My Empress, Celestia told me during the parley that I had neglected the first and most important rule of warfare—know thy enemy. And as I thought about it, I realized she was correct,” he closed his eyes and smiled. “So I have taken her advice to heart. Thanks to the materials obtained by the Centurion before my journey, I have embarked on a great study of pony history and culture, including their past wars with particular emphasis on the campaigns Celestia herself has commanded. After reading dozens of books and scrolls smuggled out of Equestrian lands—everything from history scrolls to military manuals to even their popular fiction—I believe I now know her mind and that of her ponies quite intimately. And armed with that knowledge, I now know exactly how to defeat them.”

His claim caused another stir. But despite his confident words, the Empress’ eyes narrowed. “Thou speaketh as if thou wilt command again. We would remind thee that decision rests with us, former Consul,” she spoke more sharply. “Thy words are intriguing, but remain just words. Thus far we have heard nothing but empty boasts and questionable quotes. Nothing that would incline us to grant thee a second chance.”

“Nor have I said anything that would merit one,” he agreed. “But my boasts are far from empty, My Empress. During my confinement, I devised a new war plan. One that will lay both Celestia and all of Equestria beneath our wings.”

* * * * *

The room fell silent yet again. “A bold claim, Salvio Gaius,” The Empress seemed to have a talent for understatement, I couldn’t help but think.

“An impossible one,” the Primarch retorted. “Methinks he has no plan, My Empress. He simply seeks to save his own hide.”

“We will be the judge of that, Primarch,” the Empress said sharply, for the first time allowing a note of annoyance to enter her voice. Her change of tone caused the Primarch to bow and move back, realizing she had overstepped. Several more seconds passed before the Empress spoke again; she seemed to be considering the Consul’s words carefully.

“’Twas it anyone but thee, we would give thy words no credence, Salvio Gaius. But we know thy record and reputation. We have seen thee turn failure on its wing before. We have seen thee salvage seemingly lost battles and campaigns, turning certain defeat into resounding victories. We have witnessed for ourselves the success of thy strategies and tactics, unorthodox though they oft are…” she mused aloud, the entire hall now holding its collective breath, myself and the former Consul most of all.

“Therefore… we will hear thy plans in private,” she decided, causing us both to mentally exhale before her eyes narrowed again. “All of them. We feel we granted thee too much freedom of action before and this debacle was the result. No longer. Thou wilt explain thy new strategy in full, Salvio Gaius. Thou wilt hold nothing back from us. Then, and only then, will we decide if it has merit,” she warned him, pinning her with her most dangerous stare. “Then, and only then, will we decide if thee will live or die.”

“My Empress is both fair and wise,” he bowed for the final time, his latest and most critical battle won, setting the stage for the climactic phase of his campaign. “And if I may indulge her further, I would request the use of the Citadel’s war room for my presentation…?”


The Consul’s request was granted, and the Empress even granted him time to prepare fully and have a real meal before the Imperial High Council convened. Even if ’twas a last meal, ’twas still appreciated by my former master, who had eaten little but stale scones and a few rotting fish during his long ride over.

The High Council consisted of the Empress and her closest advisors plus the various service heads. They were assembled within hours, and waiting in the war room as we finally entered. After smuggling in the gems, they had searched me far more thoroughly and shackled me along with the Consul, but I did not mind. My confidence growing, I now dared hope we would both be released before all was said and done.

The war room, which I had been privileged to visit just once before, was where the Empire’s grand strategies were planned and prepared. It consisted a very large room dominated by a circular stone table, upon which sat a map of our continent and Equestria’s, laid out side by side and carved directly into the stone itself.

’Twas not the whole world, but what was within our reach to that point. On top of the map lay a layer of sand which could be drawn in, showing lines and troop movements, with the Gryphon/Equestrian border already marked along with the bases, both theirs and ours… though the latter was a bit outdated given we had already shut down the forward bases.

“My Empress. Praetors, Primus, and Primarch…” he began, nodding to each in turn. “I present to you now, a new vision of Equestria. One under our wings, with the power to control the heavens where it rightfully belongs…”

* * * * *

The Empress was right, I realized. The Consul did have a flair for the theatrical, and knew how to use it to good effect. He spoke nearly uninterrupted for the next two hours, laying out his plans via speech and drawing lines in the sand.

The more I heard, the more impressed I became. He had indeed thought of everything—how to neutralize the pony weather advantage and remove the threat of superstorm strikes. How to weaken their resolve during the invasion and pacify their population afterwards by turning their own strengths and instincts against them. How to divide and conquer them by tribe. How to destroy their military in detail. Even how to cage Celestia herself.

“And what of the Princess?” Praetor Valan, the earth gryphon head of the Talons had asked at some length. “How will we counter her?”

“We cannot defeat her directly, so we must first pin her in her palace,” the Consul said, now speaking with more authority as he sensed his well-thought plans gaining not just the support of the Empress but the service heads themselves—support he would need not only to survive this day, but to implement his strategy later. “In showing her strength, she also revealed her greatest weakness, and ’tis one we can exploit. She said herself she would do whatever was necessary to protect her ponies; that their protection was paramount to her and she found no honor in death or killing.

“Therefore, we can be certain she will not abandon her ponies to their fate or otherwise fly into a suicidal rage when all is lost. Therefore, we can use her own foolish sentimentality against her by trapping her in a situation where the only way she can protect her ponies… is to surrender unconditionally to us.”

“And we assume thou hast such a plan?” for the first time, the Empress was starting to sound genuinely intrigued as she studied the maps and troop movements he had drawn.

“Indeed I do, My Empress.” He grinned like he’d saved the best for last. “I would first remind all present that Celestia is not the only mighty being on this planet. From my studies of pony history, I now know she has made some enemies. Some very powerful and deadly ones at that; some who have even outlived her. Enemies we should be able to strike an alliance with… if we offer them proper payment and the promise of real revenge.”

I blinked, knowing that there was but one race that could possibly have lifespans the equal of alicorns, and they rarely formed alliances with those they considered lesser beings, believing our affairs beneath them. Surely he couldn’t mean…

As he explained his plan to defeat Celestia in detail, I realized that he very much did. And like the rest of his grand strategy to conquer Equestria, ’twas breathtaking in scope and brilliance to behold. I sensed it would require a great deal of preparation and diplomacy, but if our efforts came to fruition, it could work…

If we could convince such beings to make common cause with us.

“…thus, by neutralizing Celestia and removing the pony weather advantage, we reduce the conquest of Equestria to a simple contest of arms which we can win. One in which our superior warriors, numbers and combat doctrine will tell,” he concluded, then went on to describe more local tactics designed to overcome the individual pony services.

The Aerial Corps border bases and storm cloud caches would be wiped out in the first night of the invasion by a surprise attack, eliminating their weather advantage and best regular forces almost immediately whilst simultaneously giving us control of the air. The Equestrian Army and remaining Corps forces would then be beaten piecemeal using superior gryphon mobility and shock tactics, preventing them from solidifying their lines or forming any coherent defense, allowing Imperial forces to drive deep into Equestria and their towns and bases to be quickly overcome and occupied. Any poorly-trained pony militia or partisan groups that attempted to fight would be crushed without mercy to drive home the futility of their resistance. And finally, the Royal Guard itself would be brought to battle and destroyed in a single decisive stroke, thus shattering pony resolve and taking away their final hope. And then…

“And then we will lay siege to Canterlot itself. Weakened and unable to defend her subjects against the multiple threats she will then be facing, we will present the Princess with a stark choice—surrender herself and her power, or watch her precious ponies die. In the end, by her own words, if there is no other means to save them… she will,” he reiterated, and after an hour of explaining how all this would come to pass, I believed him.

“Impressive…” even the Primarch had to grant, though she couldn’t help but nitpick again. “Though methinks there is something you overlook.”

He gave her a stare like an adult being spoken back to by a cub. “And that is…?”

“You have accounted for all their services… except their navy.” She wore a smug look.

In response, the Consul gave a scoffing sound, and I barely restrained one myself. “Their navy, Primarch, consists of a dozen antiquated airships that are barely flightworthy and lack sufficient crew. Their navy is a relic from the Celestial War that is little more than a glorified ferry service used by Equestrian nobles to say they joined the military without risking themselves in actual combat,” he announced in utter contempt. “But if it pleases you, our own navy will easily clear the skies of whatever they do manage to send up… if, that is, the project is nearing completion…?” he glanced over at Nautilla Primus Rallan, the new Naval head.

“It is,” the sky gryphon eagless confirmed. “The first ships of the new Raptor class will launch within three months… though ’tis certain to be some time more before crews are trained and they are pronounced battleworthy,” she qualified.

“Good. Methinks they should not be needed right away, so you should have sufficient time to fully ready them,” he nodded, staring to sound and act like a commander again. With that, he turned to the Empress again and bowed. “You wished to know my plans, My Empress. You have now heard them in full. And I will accept whatever judgment you may pass on me for it,” he told her. “But before I depart, I would leave you with one final thought from the great pony general known as Sun Master, a piece of military wisdom that is particularly relevant here:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

“If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

“If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

He paused to let that sink in. “Before, we knew ourselves, but not our enemy, and thus we could not win. But I now know both. Accept my plans, and as this ancient pony says, you need not fear the results of war,” he told her. “Accept my plans, and by my honor and the Empire itself, I will lay Equestria before you.”

She nodded to him, genuine respect in her gaze. “Thou hast given us much to think about, former Consul. Thou shalt now leave us whilst we discuss thy fate and the merits of thy plans in private.”

“My Empress,” he acknowledged with a second bow, and the two us were removed by the Paladins, taking us to separate holding cells where we would now wait. The Consul had fought a valiant battle, but I had no idea if was enough. And as the hours stretched on, I could not help but wonder if either of us would survive the night.


’Twas late in the evening when we were retrieved, finding the service heads and Empress still gathered in the war room, having apparently taken dinner there whilst they continued to discuss the Consul’s plans. The Moon was visible through the skylights, with the Mare in the Moon looking down on us; a more paranoid part of me wondered if she could see us and communicate our plans to Celestia.

All the service heads and guards stood at attention as we entered; I wasn’t sure if that was a good sign or not. Regardless, we stood at the head of the table and bowed, whilst the Empress looked down upon us from her lofty perch above of the other end. “We have considered thy plans carefully, and at great length, Salvio Gaius,” she began. “And we have found them… to have potentially great merit. ’Tis a cunning plan, one every bit as brilliant and well-conceived as we would expect from thee,” she told us, causing our hopes to rise, only to seemingly dash them with her next words.

“However, ’tis not without flaw. Not the least of which is its reliance on other beings whose loyalty would be highly suspect. We do not like the idea of placing our fate in the paws of others, particularly those who would swear us no allegiance afterwards,” she told him.

The Consul started to speak again, but she held up a paw to silence him. “Further, the overall risk thy plan entails is very high. High enough that under any other circumstances we would say ’tis not worth taking and the Equestrians not worth fighting. Thou shouldst know better than any of us that no plan is perfect, no matter how well-conceived. Shouldst thou miscalculate, shouldst surprise be lost, shouldst thy timetable falter significantly or shouldst our erstwhile allies renege on their promises… we risk the wrath of Celestia and destruction of our entire Empire,” she noted, tapping her talons again. “But in the end, ’tis not that which sways me.

“’Tis that after witnessing the Princess’ power, ’twould seem the greater risk is in doing nothing. No single being should ever have the power Celestia possesses; no single being should control the heavens alone. Even if we would do all that she says, ’tis nothing to stop her from destroying not just us, but the world entire should she so choose. Her sister went mad, what if she did as well?” she wondered aloud, glancing up at the moon. “Her abilities are dangerous and her power corrupting, and thus even a single alicorn is a potential pox on all races of this world. One we must excise for the good of all. And therefore…” she nodded behind us, and guards stepped forward.

“Our decision is that thy plan represents the best chance to end her potential menace, and return the world to its proper state and natural order,” she said as our manacles were unlocked, causing our hearts to leap as we realized what she was saying. ’Twas not even an argument the Consul had made, but ’twas certainly a very valid one, I thought. “A world without pony princesses and unnatural magics, a world where the sun and moon would be allowed to rise and set not at her whim, or even our own, but of their own accord. A world where we sit properly as rulers, as befits the greatest warrior race and society this world has ever produced.”

We kept our eyes rigidly ahead as we heard more motion behind us, including the rustle of clothing. We sensed what was happening, but not yet the full import. “And thus, we will risk all for the sake of not just our future, but for all races of the world. For if there exists any living being who can make this plan succeed, whose mind is agile enough to overcome the setbacks that would inevitably arise in its course… ’tis thee, Salvio Gaius. We therefore place our fates and faith on the wings of the greatest military mind and warrior we have ever known. Stand and be recognized… Prelate Gaius and Tribune Kaval!”

With that, the entire room bared their throats and saluted us, pounding their right fists into their left shoulders as new uniforms and command chains were placed upon us by Praetorian soldiers and fastened to us, bearing our new rank insignia; I was shocked and even the now-former Consul was visibly stunned by the decision, which had just bestowed on him the highest military rank the Empire had. The rank of Prelate meant he now even outranked the service heads, wielding authority second only to the Empress herself. “I… thank My Empress for her favor and wisdom,” he returned the salutes, and then bowed low. “By the blood of our ancestors, I will not fail!”

“If you do, ’tis unlikely we will have much time to regret it,” the Primarch pointed out. “But far better to die on our wings than to live on our knees, at the capricious whims of a pony princess.” Somewhat reluctantly, she saluted him and bared her throat a second time, beginning the ritual oath of allegiance to her new commander. “The Paladin Order is at your command, Prelate.”

“As are the Talons,” Praetor Valan spoke next, duplicating her gestures.

“And the Knights,” added Praetor Chakar, the old Wind Knight tiercel following suit. “We stand ready to carry out any orders you give us.”

Within a minute, all the service heads had spoken, including myself as the leader of the Talaeus by virtue of my new rank. Once he had received our oaths, the newly-named Prelate took his place at the head of the war room whilst I was granted a seat at the table as well, my armor returned to me, already adorned with my new rank. “By your oaths and favor, I assume command,” he gave the ritual response, his eyes lingering on me for a moment, true gratitude in them for standing by him. I gave him a nod in return, eagerly awaiting his first orders.

“I thank you all for your loyalty and willingness to follow me. ’Tis a great honor which you have bestowed upon me, and one which I will do everything in my power to repay with victory. We have much to do, and time is short. So let us begin preparations now…”

Author's Note:

Turned this one out in record time because I already had the outline written and knew pretty much exactly what I wanted to do with this chapter. This will be all for a few weeks, however, as I shift focus back to its parent story, The Lawyer and The Unicorn.

There are two sides in every conflict, and this is the gryphon one. What was initially a war of conquest just morphed into a potential war of survival in their minds, and that makes them all the more dangerous for it. Our new Prelate’s plans will be revealed in due course, and be assured they’re not being sold short here. I know exactly what he’s going to do; all I’ll say for now is that the ponies aren’t the only ones who can think unconventionally. War is coming, but the Empress’ warning was prescient—no plan is perfect, and the more modern saying of no plan survives first contact with the enemy holds as well. Victory and defeat will be determined by how quickly each side can adapt to changing circumstances... but the gryphons will have a huge advantage on that score to start.

Thanks again to cowriter Leo Archon for the Layan Kaval foreword and contributions to several sections, to AJ_Aficionado and SilentWoodFire for prereads, and James CyberLink for music suggestions. Viewpoints will switch back to Firefly and the Equestrians after this, and don’t worry—there’ll be plenty of fighting even before the war to come.

PreviousChapters Next