• Published 14th Aug 2015
  • 911 Views, 51 Comments

Flight - The Wandering Bard



Bat ponies. They are a part of Equestria just as much as any earth pony, unicorn, pegasus or alicorn. But where did they come from? Who were they before? One ancient tome, penned by an explorer of a time long past, tells all.

  • ...
1
 51
 911

The Third Entry

Lyric smiled from ear to ear at the scene depicted upon the page. She was intimately familiar with the feeling of coming back home, back to a place where you were welcomed. For the bat ponies, that feeling must have been one hundred-fold what she experienced each and every time. However, she also knew what the cost of battle could be, and her smile fell some. Still, she kept on reading even as a yawn escaped from her. There were some mentions of the planning and preparation, but not as many as she thought there would be. Perhaps Dashing had set out on more travels and made new discoveries. There were certainly enough entries that this could have been so. Perhaps he hadn’t been privy to that information, not being on any sort of council or a member of the military.

Or, Lyric wondered to herself, her ears now downturned, perhaps he just couldn’t bear to think of it… Inhaling deep, she shook off the dark cloud that had hovered over her. Whatever the reason for the omission, she found the next entry that mentioned the bat ponies themselves and carried on.

~*~

Year 5, Day 293 of the Royal Sisters’ Reign

It’s been a few months since the bat ponies have taken up residence here in Equestria, and it seems like everypony is getting used to having them around. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are about ready to head to the Crystal Empire, and all of the bat ponies volunteered to go with them. They’ve trained with the troops every day since they were well enough to do so, and they’ve all become competent warriors in such a short time. It’s remarkable, but they’ve pushed themselves harder than anypony else. They are determined to free their brethren from Sombra’s reign. Celestia and Luna also did not need to convince Starswirl to take on this campaign, as he fully agreed that Sombra was a threat to ponykind. It turns out that he had also felt some dark force growing, though he had been unable to determine its exact source.

Obsidian and Onyx have been made Captains as promised, but, more than that, they have been selected by Princess Luna herself to head her personal guard. She can see that they are dedicated and loyal, and besides, they can stay awake through the night as Princess Celestia’s guards cannot. To top it all off, all of the bat ponies have been given a place in her guard, for they’ve been loyal to her through and through. It’s been nice having them around, even if Obsidian still treats me in the same gruff way. I suspect he always will, but at least now, when he looks at me, I see respect in his eyes. As for Onyx, I can’t say that anything will happen between us, but I will say that a pony such as she could make a stallion like me think about settling down for good. Will that happen? Probably not for a while. But when it does, I hope I can have a mare like her by my side.

I must admit, though, that I am worried for the fates of those who will leave for battle. We’ve all heard the stories of the horrors faced in times past, and now another one is practically at our door. And as far as the bat ponies have come, almost all are still quite green when compared to the Princess’s more seasoned soldiers. I can only hope that all of my friends, new and old, will return safely.