• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 514 Views, 3 Comments

Warrior, Protector, & Survivor - TigerSwirl448



Medieval Equestria is under the theat of war; will Windy Belle fulfil her dreams of becoming a knight and save Equestria from certain doom?

  • ...
6
 3
 514

Part 1: Chapter 2: Punishments

"There, that's the last of them." Agate said with a grunt putting the last of the cider barrels into the cart with a sigh.

For the last two hours, the troublemakers had worked hard with Master Big Mac, the Apple Clan's head apple merchant. When the three teens met up with the two vendors from earlier, the vendors were initially in shock. After the initial surprise at seeing the thieving children marched back to their stall unceremoniously had passed however the men made no attempt to hide their amusement, nor their contempt.

Big Mac told the two men to pack up their belongings, the teens would pack up the shop for them that day. When the two were gone, Mac ordered the three to start loading all the apple baskets and cider barrels into the cart. After what had felt like forever, but was likely less than two hours, it seemed that they were finally finished with the first of their three punishments.

"Are we done yet?" Pan whined, panting heavily. Windy was laying on the ground attempting to catch her breath, having also contributed to what felt like an over challenging task. She opened her eyes when she noticed a shadow was blocking the sun that had just been on her face. She looked up to see one of the Apples looking down at her, Big Mac's niece, the girl with purple hair and blue and green eyes. Windy silently thought to herself how odd the coloration seemed.

"Hi! You all worked so hard, and did such a good job, that my Uncle let me make these for you." The girl said holding up a basket of apple pastries. "And considering that ya'll won't get any supper you need all the food you can get!"

Windy sat up and took one of the offered fluffy pastries from the basket. She took a bite and immediately hummed in delight. "Wow! This is amazing, thanks."

Agate and Pan both took a pastry as well, and took bites near somewhat simultaneous bites, both relishing the taste just as much as the other.

"Apple Family pastries!" Pan exclaimed with joyful enthusiasm. "You hardly see these in the market anymore."

The girl nodded and turned and saw Agate avoid her gaze, a heavy blush plain on his cheeks.

"My name is Apple Syrup. My Momma is the matriarch of the Apple Clan."

"Wait," Pan said in shock. "You’re the daughter of THE Applejack?!!"

Apple Syrup nodded. "Ye'sir I am."

"Who now?" Agate asked curiously. His initial blush was beginning to fade, as he took yet another bite from his pastry.

"Agate, Applejack is like, only one of the strongest and most powerful women in the land. How could YOU not have heard of her?!" Windy asked in frustration. It quickly went to awe, however, as her mind went to the self-made woman. "I've heard so many stories about her from the Knights Barracks." Windy sighed. "Man, I would love to meet her in person."

Pan thought for a moment. "Isn't she coming to the Peace Council?"

Apple Syrup nodded. "Eeyup she is. First Apple since Great Jedidiah Apple, my great grandpappy passed."

"Who’s he?" Agate asked.

Windy shrugged. "I have no idea."

Apple Syrup giggled. "Well I'll tell ya. Jedidiah was a serf for the Rich family in Ponyville, before the place became an actual town. He sparked a revolution and overthrew the Duke and his family, to make Ponyville an independent village. Everyone was so grateful they made him he town's mayor. Being that he was an Apple through and through sure didn't hurt our clan none either. Now Momma is returning to Canterlot to renegotiate the Apple Family's trade with the rest of Equestria."

"Wow, your family sounds amazing!" Windy said intrigued.

"My Ma always said I have a knack for telling Apple Clan history." Apple Syrup said happily. All three teens shared the same confused look.

"Um, I thought you only had one Mom?" Windy asked confused.

Apple Syrup shook her head to the negative. "I have two mothers." She said with pride.

The boys paled looking at one another.

"Really?" Windy asked carefully, taking an unconscious step back, then noticed the large man look over as Syrup continued to explain.

"Oh yeah, Ma is a unicorn, and Momma is an earth born." She gasped when Big Mac placed his hand over her mouth shushing her. He glared at the three teens and nodded.

"You've all done enough, you may leave now. Thank you kindly for the help." He said with a distrustful glare. The three friends looked to one another in confusion. Pan stuffed the rest of his pastry into his mouth, with a shrug, and stood up.

"Let's get going guys, we still have two more punishments to get through before we're done." Pan walked past Apple Syrup, and her uncle, before offering a polite bow. "It was a pleasure. I wish you well on your journey back home."

Big Mac nodded once watching Pan leave and noticed Windy also getting up with a smile.

"Those were great pastries! Um... I...I'll see you around?" Windy waved awkwardly before running after Pan.

Agate turned to see Apple Syrup look to him. He waved to her and ran after Windy and Pan to catch up with them.

"That was very stupid you know that?" He scolded as Syrup blushed sharply. "You know you're never supposed to talk about your mothers to a non-family member." Syrup sniffed turning away ashamed, and not really understanding why. Her uncle sighed softly. "I know your momma AJ told you to always tell the truth, but sometimes the truth just don't go over too well Syrup. Pack up and help Bing with the horses, we're about ready to head on home."

Apple Syrup nodded meekly, watching her uncle walk over to the horses. She never really understood why her family felt they had to keep the fact that she had two mothers a secret. As far as she was concerned she had the best moms in the whole world, but there must have been something she didn't understand going on for all the adults in her life to react the same way. She closed her eyes remembering back to before she came on this trip to Canterlot.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It was late night and Apple Syrup was looking for a book to read in her Ma's library, when she heard a door slam shut and arguing through the wall. She walked over, placing her ear against it, and overheard the heated argument between her mothers. Matriarch Applejack; the leader of the Apple Clan, and Rarity Belle; a seamstress and servant that worked for the Apple Clan household.

"You know I can't agree to this! Apple Syrup is too young and naïve to deal with the world outside these walls."

"She's an Apple and she has to get out of your dressing room sometime and learn to be one."

"That doesn't mean she has to be a brute like you Applejack!"

Apple Syrup swallowed hard. She hated it when her mothers fought. Most of the time it was about her, which only served to make her feel guilty.

"She has to learn to take this family onto her shoulders at some point. One of the most important steps is learning of our allies, and earning their trust.

"Allies?! Applejack, you and I both know that our allies don't care for people like us. Remember that nice couple that used to run the sweet shop? Their children were killed, and their shop burned to the ground." Rarity said with indignation.

"They were flauntin’ their relationship, and their success to boot. They knew it would be trouble!

"I don't trust Canterlot no matter how important the Peace Council is to you! It's bound to come to blows sooner or later and I don't want my daughter to be in that situation. To be put under the eyes of those that would despise her, and see her as just another child born from a cursed spell!"

Apple Syrup felt tears in her eyes as she slid to the floor, she got to her feet quickly and fled the room. This meant of course that she missed the next part of the conversation.

"That spell was never a curse, Consarn it! I am plum fed up with people calling it what it ain't!"

"I know dear." Rarity said, pulling the fuming Applejack into a consoling embrace. "It did bring us our little Syrup, after all."

Syrup went to bed that night in tears, thinking she was the Apple Families secret shame.

The next morning, after hearing the argument, she went with her uncle Big Mac and her cousins to Canterlot to sell their wares, and await the arrival of Applejack and the other key members of their clan. It was never told to the child, but she knew that pains were taken to never have Syrup in Applejack's presence for more than a minutes at a time while in the city.

Apple Syrup never understood why some spell was the cause of so much heated debate and secrecy. Back at home Syrup was treated like any other ordinary child. Both of her mothers were as encouraging as they were loving. She tried not to show it, but it was difficult not to think of herself as a freak when those she loved the most seemed to treat her like dirty laundry.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

After cleaning as organizing the study's bookshelves for over three hours, the three tired teenagers walked out of the castle to the training yards to meet up for their final task, the sun was already setting well into the horizon.

"I'm never pranking anyone ever again." Windy groaned out tiredly with Pan and Agate behind her.

"Just one more chore." Pan said softly with a sigh, a small amount of relief apparent in his tone.. "Then bed. Oh, sweet bed! How I've missed you!"

"And a bath." Agate added happily. "I think all that dust is giving me hives."

Windy snorted. "Yeah, now all we have to get past is Luna. Piece of cake!" The girl said sarcastically. "With my luck she's likely to strap me to a table and direct me."

"We won’t let that happen." Agate stated firmly.

Pan nodded. "Right, no chance."

Windy smiled at them. "Thanks guys." They turned the corner and stopped to see Princess Lucky Moonflower, Luna's daughter waiting for them at the Shadowbolt Tower entrance. The three walked over unsure what was going to happen next.

"There you are! I've been waiting all afternoon." Lucky said smirking.

"What are you doing here?" Pan asked with a glare.

"Mother wanted me to hand you your final punishments, myself. Ones that suit your 'strengths' individually."

"What do you mean by that?" Windy asked nervously.

"Oh you know, nothing too harsh." Lucky said quickly pointing to Pan first. "For Pan, Mother suggested you to dust off all the tapestries and paintings in the Lunar Guard Memorial Hall. It better be done before the first Lunar Watch tonight too. Pan looked to the others in muted anger as Lucky pointed to Agate.

"Agate, Mother wants you to go into the Lunar Library and restock all the shelves. All of the books were suddenly pulled out and left on the floor. No idea how that might have happened." Agate growled lightly as Lucky patted his head. "Oh and she wants them organized by author's last name. Not first name." Lucky smirked seeing Agate's furious gaze. She then turned to Windy. "Oh Mother has just the perfect job for you, reject." Windy bared her teeth at the name as Lucky went on smirking. "She asked for me to lead you there personally."

"What?" Windy asked confused.

"Her idea, not mine." Lucky said with a shrug.

"No way," Pan said standing up. "You are not separating us."

"Pan, you really need to learn your superiority. If you keep defending your lessors, servants no less, people will start to lump you in with them." Lucky said with false concern.

"Why you-" Pan growled. Agate grabbed his arm to stop his tirade before it could begin.

"Pan," Windy said, pausing the situation to pause momentarily. "It's cool, I got this."

"Are you sure?" Agate asked worriedly. Windy nodded with a wink.

"I'll be fine. I'll get this done with before you guys even realize I'm gone."

Pan and Agate looked to one another with worry. Knowing that Windy was just putting up a front for their sakes, but being impotent to protect her.

"If you're sure..." Agate started hesitantly as Windy nodded.

"Go, seriously, I’ll be fine." Windy encouraged smiling.

The two nodded and exited through the doorway into the tower, leaving Windy alone with Lucky. Windy turned back to the other girl with a glare.

"What do you want me to do?" Windy asked with a growl.

"Follow me and I'll show you." Lucky ordered walking ahead. Windy sighed and followed her through the training yards until they reached one of the horse barns. Windy sighed in relief, feeling certain she understood what the chore was, mucking the Lunar Guard stables. Simple, if disgusting. Lucky opened the large door into the smelly horse barn.

"Mother wants you to muck the horses’ stalls and make sure all the saddles are polished and cleaned.... By first watch." Lucky ordered throwing the rake at Windy, who was just barely able to catch it.

"That's it? Not even a snide remark?" Windy asked smirking. Lucky remained silent keeping a straight face and offering only a shrug.

"Just doing as I was told, reject. You won't get it done in time anyway."

"Maybe," Windy said a little worriedly knowing that the large barn was full of fifty horse stalls and by the looks of it, half of the stalls were empty.

"Get to work." Lucky ordered before leaving the stable.

After a moment of waiting, Windy sighed looking around her. She walked to the lanterns and turned them on one by one making sure she had light and began her work. She looked up in time to see a black stallion look to her and nickered seeing her. He moved to the front of the stall and nuzzled her face.

Windy giggled and stroked the horse's snout affectionately. She opened the door to the giant war horse's stall and began cleaning it out. She planned to have all the stalls cleaned first then she'd move onto the harder task of cleaning all the tack and gear.

It was already starting to get dark by the time Windy was halfway done with cleaning out the stalls. She stopped for a second to take a breath, as she continued her attempts to breathe only through her mouth, when she heard the doors to the barn slide open. "Oh no! That can't be first watch already!" She thought with worry, beginning to panic slightly.

"Sirs, I'm SO sorry! I don’t have-" She said turning, and stopped to see that there were five dark cloaked strangers standing by the doorway. One of the horses neighed with fright as one of the cloaked men pulled out a small club.

"Damnit!" Windy Belle thought holding her rake close, hoping it could act as a weapon in a pinch. Are these bandits? Horse thieves?

The first of the men ran over swinging his baton trying to catch Windy, who quickly ducked to the floor. She gasped seeing his boot quickly nearing her face. She rolled to the side, just missing his boot, and hit the padlock door with a wince. The horses began to get restless, and struggled against their restraints, as their new friend was attacked.

Windy conjured her large wings and leaped into the air, grabbing a beam and pulling herself up. She gasped seeing that two of the cloaked men also had wings and flew up to the beams. Windy struggled to stay balanced as she looked up at the two pegasi men, then looked down at the three others below her. Some held bully clubs and others had lengths of rope or other assorted weapons. Windy could only imagine what those with rope might be planning for her.

"What do you want?" Windy asked, fighting to keep fear from her voice, turning behind her to see the second Pegasus man approaching behind her. No matter what direction she looked in, she was trapped. Until she looked down at one of the horse stalls to see a white horse looking up at her, snorting. The horse winked his large eye and neighed. Windy smirked looking at her assailants.

The two pegasi ran for her, one went low to grab her waist while the other went for her head. Windy used her wings and pushed herself quickly back off the beam, the two men crashed into each other falling heavily to the ground. Windy landed on the white horse and held on as the horse kicked through his stall door and ran to the opening.

"Stop that brat!" One of the cloaked figures cried.

Windy held on tight with her legs on the body of the horse as she rode with him into the training yard, feeling like she might actually be safe. At least until she looked ahead again and saw a giant rod fill her vision. The rod connected hard, smacking her off the horse, and she landed hard on the ground with a pained grunt. She coughed for air as the collision had temporarily stolen her breath. She looked up and gasped as the men grabbed her and held her roughly to the ground by her arms.

"Let me go!" She cried trying to kick the men until the third man arrived, and grabbed her legs to keep her from struggling. She looked up to notice that one of the men was a unicorn, his magical hands glowed in blue magic.

"I mean it, let me go now!" She cried out fighting as best she could against the much larger men. The horse let out a neigh, doubling back, and kicked the unicorn man away with a sickening crunch as his hooves landed squarely. The other two men backed away quickly, as the horse pressed his attack. Windy rolled to her hands and knees watching the horse chase the men, but something wasn't right.

"There were four weren't there? Where's-?" She gasped feeling a strong bicep around her neck choking her. She coughed trying to breathe as she struggled in his grip. She looked for anyone, or anything to help her out of the situation, but she came up empty. She was alone, she was going to die!

She shook her head, refusing to just give in. Looking down, she noticed that her feet were still on the ground. She was taller than the man chocking her. She only hoped that would give her the advantage she so desperately needed. Barely aiming, she swung her leg with all her might, and connected. The man released the girl, with a curse, and doubled over. Windy sprinted away, wobbling at first from the lightheadedness being deprived of oxygen had caused, but was able to make the dash to the palace.

"Someone get her!" The hurting man screamed, still struggling to take his feet once more.

Windy turned a corner and hid by the barrels standing against the wall panting hard. Once she got her air she looked around. She looked up the palace wall to find one of the rooms had an open window with the curtain flapping. That was her chance of a getaway. She peeked around the corner to find the thugs looked for her. She pulled back, panting hard, and trying to calm herself down. She pushed off the wall and made a sprint for the castle wall.

"Windy!" Windy stopped and looked up to see a woman she recognized at the opened window. She smiled recognizing Princess Starchaser waving to her from the window. "Up here! Quickly!" Windy gave a hopeful smile, thinking that she was almost out of this mess.

"Hey, there she is!" Windy gasped and turned to see the thugs running quickly toward her. She gulped and continued on, as she conjured her wings again and leaped up to the wall. With their aid, she climbed up the wall, finally reaching the window. She turned and gasped upon seeing that the pegasi among her pursuers were near.

"Star!" She cried struggling, as her wings disappeared from her fright. "Help me up! Hurry!" She cried as her shoes scrapped the smooth wall trying to get traction to push herself up the wall. She felt her grip on the window will, the only thing keeping her elevated at this point, slipping. Starchaser grabbed her hands and with the aid of her magic she pulled Windy into the room. Windy collapsed onto the wooden floor, desperately trying to regain her breath, as Star slammed the window and barred the shutters as quick as she could. They heard the crash and grunts of the assailants hitting the wall and shutters.

Star quickly locked the shutters and sighed in relief. She held up her hand and produced an orb of light to illuminate the room. She looked down to see Windy laying on her back, still panting hard from the run.

"Are you alright?" Starchaser asked with worry as she knelt down beside her.

Windy nodded after a moment. "Thanks for the save." She said smiling in gratitude. Star smiled in return.

"Who were those thugs? I'm surprised that they were able to pass all the guards on watch without being noticed." Star said with confusion evident in her face.

Windy sat up. "I have no idea. And I'd rather not know why they were trying to get me." Star blinked and looked at Windy's neck stroking the red mark gently.

"Hey! Stop, that tickles!" Windy giggled pushing her hand away.

"Oh, sorry." Star said with a blush. "You just have this mark on your neck..."

Windy blinked stroking the mark that the rod had made a collision with her neck. "It's nothing. I'm fine, see!" Windy stood up holding out her arms in a heroic pose. "Fit as a fiddle."

Star smirked at the display. "I wouldn't be surprised if they were there because you'd pranked them at some point and they wanted revenge." Windy frowned watching Star leave the room with her hands behind her back. She couldn't help looking Star over, smiling seeing how beautiful she looked dressed in a shimmering purple dress. She couldn’t help but let her eyes linger over certain areas a young servant girl hadn't the right to linger over. Star turned, and took notice of the staring with a smile, but demurely pretended she didn't.

"What did you do this time Bell?" Star asked curiously. Windy blinked away her distraction, and fought her blushing. She attempted to mask it by playing angrier with the girl' swords than she was.

"I didn't do anything!" She argued following her out of the room closing the door behind her.

"Ha, I find that hard to believe." Star said chuckling as she walked down the servant side stairs, Windy hot in her heels.

Star turned seeing Windy chasing her, she smirked picking up her skirts and running faster down the steps. Windy smirked, the chase was on! When they reached a landing in the stairs, Windy jumped off the last four steps and grabbed Star's waist. Star gasped surprised the other girl had caught up to her so quickly. Windy pushed her into the wall and pressed against her to pin her. The two were smiling excitedly looking into each other’s eyes giddily, before Windy blinked and she realized what she was doing. Her smirk disappeared as she pushed away from her friend, blushing in shame.

"I’m sorry." Windy whispered with embarrassment, turning away. Star frowned with worry, pushing away from the wall herself.

"No, don't be sorry. We were just ... playing around.” Star said, trying to reassure the other girl.

"Still I shouldn’t have done that." Windy whispered. “Its getting to where it’s not … play anymore.” She said sadly. Star thought for a moment then smiled and took Windy's arm.


"Come on, you need a cupcake. If Mama is still awake, I can get her to make us some, or we can grab some of the left over cookies from lunch."

Windy feebly followed Star through the hidden halls of the castle, where the servants could move about without being seen. As they walked silently, Windy began to think about what had occurred just minutes before. What if it wasn’t a coincidence that the cloaked thugs came to the barn and attacked her? The reason she was in those stables was because of Lucky who was ordered by Luna to send Windy there. Windy stopped, pulling Star to a stop as well.

"Windy? Are you alright?" Star asked seeing Windy looking pale.

"Star, I think Luna sent the thugs. I think she wants to kill me. Windy said, more a bit frightened at the prospect.

Star didn't look surprised. "Really?"

"Yeah. I didn't think about it until just now." Windy said scratching her head to pull out strands of straw from her hair. Star pulled her fingers rough the other girl's hair, helping her.

"Why do you seem so calm?" Windy asked. "I mean this is scary stuff. Sure, Luna has tried to hurt me, slander my image, and put me in harm's way but trying to murder me? That's like extreme!"

Star sighed thinking. "I'm sorry Windy, and I don't mean that I don't believe you, but do you have any proof?" Star asked worriedly.

Windy shook her head. "No... nothing. Just a hunch." She said sadly. Star walked to a wall and pushed on a brick to open a secret door. The two girls left the servant halls and entered one of the grand halls of the palace. This hall had standing armor of the Solar Guard decorating the otherwise empty hall. Hanging from the ceilings were the Solar Guard tapestries from years past.

Star took Windy's hand and the two began walking down the hall slowly, both of them thinking quietly to themselves.

"Well it wouldn’t come as surprising," Star began softly squeezing Windy's hand. "She doesn’t seem to care for us very much."

Windy blinked looking down at Star's hand in hers. She swallowed hard and pulled her hand away rubbing her knuckles. Star blushed stroking her hair behind her ear.

"I'm still trying to figure it out. Why does she hate me so much? I mean, I'm the daughter of an elite Shadowbolt."

Star rolled her eyes. "I know. Everyone knows, you've said that at least a thousand times. You don’t see me boasting about my mother." She said with slight annoyance.

"You’re different though," Windy said looking at her pointedly. "I mean everyone knows who your mother is. Everyone assumes I'm just some orphan that was picked up due to your mother's charity."

Star gasped turning to her. "Windy, don’t say that! My mother wanted to help you."

"Yeah, I know. Charity." Windy said sadly before storming off. Star sighed watching her walk off for a moment before gathering her skirts once more and hurrying after her.

"Wait a second Windy, please listen to me." Star begged grabbing her arm to stop her. "Mother wanted to help you, but you've become a part of the family. She may have not expected it to happen, but she cares as much for you as she does me. Please don't be upset."

Windy blushed turning to her. "I don't want to see you upset either. I know Princess Twilight means well but I am an orphan now, a servant." She said sadly. Star walked up to her and stroked her cheek.

"What about those dreams of becoming a knight?" Star asked with a smile. "Becoming someone nobody can ignore? Showing the world that YOU are Windy Belle?" She said, knowing that if anyone could accomplish these dreams it would be the girl before her.

Windy turned away. "They won't come true."

"Why would you say such a thing?” Star said in surprise.

"Because it’s true." Windy whispered sadly crossing her arms across her chest. "I’m not a royal, I'm not from a royal house, I can't even remember my mother's face very well anymore."

"Why not just ask for knighthood?" Star suddenly said causing Windy to blink and turn to her wide eyed.

"Just flat out ask?" Windy asked bewildered.

Star blushed. "Well um, I don't know, but you can ask Mother and she could probably get you an opportunity to try out. You'd be earning your place as a knight, but mother could at least get your foot in the door." Windy thought for a long moment and smiled with a nod.

"I can try." Windy said excitedly.

"Fat chance!" The two girls turned to see Lucky walking over to them smirking. "You done with your chores already?" Lucky asked snidely seeing Windy glare at her.

"Yeah I am, on account of a gang of mysterious men trying to kill me!” Windy snarled.

Lucky gasped, making no attempt to hide the fact that she was obviously feigning surprise. "Oh gosh, I sure hope the Lunar Guard took care of them expediently, and that you are entirely unharmed." She said with a smirk.

"You little...," Windy snarled, Star grabbed her arms stopping her advance on the princess.

"Windy, please, calm down!" Star begged causing Windy to stop, but a snarl was still on her face.

"You should listen to her." Lucky said chuckling. "She obviously knows when to be silent. Don't you Star?"

Star blushed slightly, turning away.

"What do you want Lucky?" Windy snapped glaring at her.

Lucky shrugged, "I couldn't help but overhearing that you wanted to join the guard.

Windy nodded starting to worry. "Yeah, what of it?"

Lucky chuckled shaking her head. "You really think that any one of the princesses will let you join? A girl from your station? Not to mention upbringing?" Lucky asked as Windy's glare cooled into a look of slight worry. "I mean, just look at you! You have no muscle, you're lazy, you have no proper education, and worst of all," Lucky laughed as Star glared at her. "You're too old, if you wanted to be a knight you should have started training years ago. Even if you do end up in the guard, all you’ll be is cannon fodder like the rest of the foot soldiers!"

Windy bowed her head in shame. Star glared at Lucky defiantly.

"That’s not true Lucky! Windy is the strongest, smartest, and most compassionate woman I have ever met. She would make the best of knights if given half a chance!" Star argued to the surprise of Lucky.

"Huh, so you do got some bite after all." Lucky said smirking. "Good to know." She turned and walked away. "If you do want to try asking for permission, I suggest you wait a while, reject!" Lucky called from over her shoulder. Windy looked up surprised. "After that stupid prank you pulled with Pan and that servant, it’s best to wait and let things calm down. Later, rejects." She called waving her hand to the two as she turned a corner down a separate hall.

Windy clenched her fists, and fought the urge to chase down the princess and bet in her smug face. "I hate her." Windy growled.

Star turned to her. "She wasn't always like that, you know." She reminded softly.

"I don't care!” Windy snarled turning away, careful not to let her anger slip to the other princess. "I hate her guts."

Star nodded. "She did give some good advice though. I don’t think it would be the best time to ask to join the guard after you got into so much trouble."

Windy nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, I guess so." She looked around then sighed. "I better get to bed, there will be a banquet tomorrow morning and I have to help in the kitchens. I’ll see you tomorrow?"

"Of course." Star said smiling sadly. Windy nodded as she turned and walked away with her hands in her pockets.

Starchaser watched her friend walk away feeling sad. She wished there was something she could do to help lift Windy's spirits again. She wished it was like the old days, when they were all children. The simpler times of playing chase, when Star would be teaching Windy how to read and write. When the two of them would sneak out at night to watch the stars, and when Windy would sneak to her room during a thunderstorm and sleep with her.

Star blushed deeply remembering those innocent times, but that final one was likely the one she missed the most. As unladylike as it was to admit. Now that they were older she wished they had that much time to spend together once more. Just imagining having Windy close to her again like that made her heart flutter with longing and excitement. She blinked remembering that moment with Windy pressing her against the wall, their faces close, and their lips almost touching. What if Star was brave enough to actually kiss her? She shook her head violently dislodging the thought, her face turning red.

"Stop it Starchaser! You can’t think like that anymore. You are a grown princess now!" She scolded herself, but was unable to fully rid herself of the longing." She turned and walked to her own bedroom trying to get the conflicting thoughts out of her head.

Windy opened another secret door to find another set of servant stairs and went down the steps to the very bottom, into the basement where the servants slept. She sighed sniffing her tunic and groaned.

"I’ll take that bath in the morning, I need to sleep." She whispered. She walked to the bed room to find the day servants all asleep either in pallets on the floor or in hammocks hanging off pillars and hooks. Windy walked past Pinkie Pie who was sleeping in a hammock. Windy pulled off her shoes and her dress tunic. She folded the tunic nicely and set it over her boots and laid into her hammock and cuddled into her blanket, closing her eyes. Comforted by Pinkie's soft snoring next to her, she fell into a deep sleep.

Author's Note:

Here is chapter 2. More stuff happening and a start of something, hmm?

EDIT: Gghh! I forgot the most important thing. Big thanks to my buddies Xhoral1865 & Connor Gordon for the editing the chapter.

Sorry for the wait but like I mentioned in a recent journal (for a different story I'm working on) I can't rush my editors when they have lives of their own. So Life comes first and Fandom comes second. So expect updates to not come out as fast as before. That is if you've read my stories before and have seen my rate of updates before my big writers block over the spring.

Anyway hope you guys enjoy the chapter and chapter 3 will be coming up soon. ;)