• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 513 Views, 3 Comments

Warrior, Protector, & Survivor - TigerSwirl448



Medieval Equestria is under the theat of war; will Windy Belle fulfil her dreams of becoming a knight and save Equestria from certain doom?

  • ...
6
 3
 513

Part 1: Chapter 1: Ten Years Later

It was a beautiful spring morning in Canterlot Commons. Canterlot Commons being a huge square where the Canterlot Market was set up each morning. Not only was it consistently filled with vendors, but it was also where the people celebrated during kingdom holidays. Merchants made deals, vendors called out for the people to buy their products, knights in constable guard armor patrolled lazily watching the streets, and the prostitutes winked toward them distracting them for the young pick pockets that stole all they liked without being caught.

Three cloaked strangers stood in the shadow of a building, on just such a morning, looking over the square. One of them gasped audibly seeing a vendor standing with two young men playing a dice game. The cloaked man grabbed his accomplice by the shoulder, and spun her to see the apples on the gambling man's cart.

Her friend chuckled warmly and nodded. "Agate," The cloaked woman whispered surprising the third of their party who was until that moment wholly distracted watching the women of the night winking in his direction. "Come on."

The three snuck over to the stall, silently. The girl tripped her friend causing him to fall into the apple stand and many to lose focus on what they were doing at that moment. They stared at the unfolding scene with mock concern, and very real interest, as the man struggled to gather his wits and many of the stall's apples fell to the ground with the collision.

"Hey!" One of the apple vendors cried out standing up while his partner quickly went over to gather the apples before the crowd could have their way and get a free, ill gotten, lunch.

"So very sorry, sir." The cloaked girl said helping her friend get up. "My brother is very clumsy."

"Well keep him away from our stand, or next time my brother and I won't be nice enough to let you off with a warning!" The man said with a growl while glaring menacingly. His brother turned to second the implied threat, looking more than a little silly with his cloak outstretched and sagging with the apples he had managed to gather. When he looked behind him at a group of apples he hadn't noticed until then, he saw a third cloaked stranger that had materialized from the crowd, picking them up and stuffing them into a sack.

"Hey! You'd better be planning on buying those" He bellowed, and tried to make himself look imposing, which was a difficult feat with the apples falling out of his cloak periodically

"So sorry, gotta go!" The cloaked man cried out merrily, already running. The two others followed him in a sprint.

"STOP! Thieves! Apple Thieves!" The young man behind the counter cried in anger, shaking his fist as the three teens ran from the stand.

"Someone, get them!" The second man cried out pointing, annoyed that the crowd was only looking on in mild amusement.

The guards among the crowd, however, blinked slowly out of their frivolity. Upon regaining their senses, and having observed scene, they took off as a unit after the teens. The guards ran after them blowing their whistles and screaming threats at the top of their burning lungs. The three teens turned a sharp corner trying to make a run for it in the maze of alleys. They leaped over a small fence and dropped down onto a new street.

"Did we lose them?" The boy asked panting hard.

"HEY! Stop!!" The three gasped and turn to see still more knights running down the paved road toward them. "Stop!"

"I'm pretty sure that means no." The girl stated with a quick laugh before the three of them continued their escape in the opposite direction the guards came from. They turned the corner and gasped to see guards too close for comfort, the closest one almost within arm's reach.

"There they are!" One of them cried.

"We’re trapped!" The boy exclaimed in a panic, hugging the girl. She growled shoving him away.

"We’ll take care of it." She said in confident frustration, turning to the other cloaked boy, nodding. "Do your thing."

The boy chuckled holding out his hands as the guards ran towards them. The teen smirked under his hood as he produced small balls of magical light from his fingertips and shot them toward the guard's. The guards stopped suddenly when the bubbles popped in bright flashes causing them to yell out covering their eyes. The boy ran forward shoving past the blinded guards.

The cloaked girl shoved the second, still panicking, boy toward the guards. Who yelped as he was unceremoniously pushed past the guards, apologizing quietly as he ran. The third teen began her sprint forward conjuring magical blue wings on her back, she jumped up on a cart, and then leaped above the guards heads who were mostly all still too blinded and surprised to try to stop her. Two of them however, were able to catch her by the cloak tail, which was unfortunate for them as it only succeeded in forcing them to the cobble stone ground with a groan. The girl tumbled gracefully back to her feet and sprinted away leaving the guards disoriented and confused.

The three ran past a corner into a darkened alley looking for a place to hide. One of them pointed to a shed and the three quickly ran into the tiny building to hide. Once they were sure no one followed them, the leader pulled off his hood to reveal his yellow and red eyes, as well as his black Mohawk. He started laughing as soon as the fabric was removed from his face.

"Now that was fun." Pan said, forcing the words between fits of laughter. The accomplice to his left removed his hood to reveal his dark red spiked hair and golden eyes. The young dragon spawn servant, Agate, was fighting to suppress the fact that he too was chuckling.

"I can't believe you guys dragged me into this." He said, trying to appear angry, and failing miserably.

"You got to admit," The third added pulling off her hood revealing her short cut pink hair. "That sure got the blood pumping, huh?" Windy asked nudging Agate with her elbow.

"Fine you got me to do the unthinkable." Agate said rolling his eyes. "What did we steal anyway?" He said, trying to put on a look of remorse, but also failing at that since his victorious smirk was still visible to both of his friends. "I feel so bad!"

Windy and Pan laughed even harder at how Agate's words didn't match his tone of glee. It had been a serious struggle getting their timid friend to come along for the adventure, but was now well worth it, if just for his reaction after the fact.

"Uh... guys? We only stole three apples. Eh, enough for a snack at least." Pan said, shrugging, and tossing an apple to both of his friends. "Eat up." Windy caught her's effortlessly with one hand. Agate's, on the other hand, bounced solidly off of his forehead. He yelped with surprise, renewing his friend's laughter.

"Nice catch." Windy joked, as Agate picked his apple up from the floor and brushed it off on his shirt with a blush. Windy took a bite from her apple and hummed in enjoyment at the taste. "Wow, these apples are great!"

"They should be." Pan said smiling. "These, my friends, are no ordinary apples." He announced dramatically, holding up his apple in demonstration. "This apple is part of the rare Apple Clan apple harvest."

"Apple Clan." Agate said with awe, his mouth almost salivating. "I would love to have some of their deserts. It's too bad they've been so expensive lately. Poor Pinkie, she loves Apple Clan pastries.”

"Say Pan," Windy asked, after a few minutes of silence, in which the trio enjoyed their food. Pan looked up quizzically, licking his lips of apple juice. "You're a prince so you've been sitting in on those boring meetings, right?" Pan smirked seeing Windy’s smile turn to the sly. “Got any news you can spread to us, humble, lowly, castle servants?"

"Nothing new, really." He answered with a shrug. "The annual Peace Council is coming up, and you know what that means." Pan added watching as both Windy and Agate’s expressions fell.

"Gah, I hate the Peace Council." Windy exclaimed falling to her back on the floor of straw. "It’s all just a bunch of anger and hate. What's so peaceful about it if it's only purpose is to bring together the whole kingdom of Equestria so they can bicker?"

"The Peace Council was created after the great war against Tirek. All the kingdoms and clans of Equestria united to stop this new great threat." Agate started, without prompting, causing his two friends to look at him with listless expressions. "After his defeat, and with Equestria once more at peace, Celestia and Luna created the Peace Council to celebrate our glorious victory against the dark sorcerer. As well as to provide an opportunity for everyone to come together in peace and rewrite the treaties between our allies."

Agate smiled, feeling accomplished in having remembered his studies so well, but then frowned noticing the look he was getting from his friends. "What?" He asked nervously. Windy only scoffed shaking her head.

Pan sighed in resignation tossing his apple core aside. "This will be my second council and I am NOT excited about it. I can see why Father takes a holiday during the event. They're horrible."

Windy sighed. "I feel bad for Starchaser. This will be her first year in the Peace Council. She's so terrified of sitting there and being judged by everyone." Agate patted Windy on her shoulder.

"Don’t worry, Dad and I will keep our eyes on her." He said reassuringly.

"Ha, you should be more afraid for yourself." Pan said without thinking. "Everyone knows Luna hates Twilight and her daughter, but most especially you." Agate gave the prince a meaningful glare. “What?” Pan asked confused, to which Agate groaned slapping his hand to his forehead.

Windy rolled her eyes. "I couldn't care less if that Old hag likes me or not. She doesn’t even know me. Even after ten years of living in that castle, under the same roof as her." Windy said with half parts anger and defiance.

The two boys remained silent, allowing their friend room to vent. Windy sighed, tossing her apple core to the ground, and left the shed. Agate stood up with Pan and they quickly followed her out.

"Come on, Windy don't get upset over something like that." Agate said, pleading with his friend to calm down, as he dusted off his pants.

"I just don't understand what I did to make her hate me so much!" Windy responded, shaking her head. "I'm strong, I'm a Pegasus, and my mother is one of her elite Shadowbolts. So why am I seen as a rat in the royal kitchen?"

Pan and Agate looked to each other unsure of how to respond.

"I'll show her," Windy said, looking down at her fists, and clenching them tightly. "I'll show her and everyone else who looks down on me that I will be a someone. Then everyone will see that I'm not just vermin living where it shouldn't."

"Don’t say that!" Pan exclaimed looking at her. "You're not a pest. You are a friend, and we all love you." He said wrapping his arm around her hoping to offer some comfort. "You're my pranking sister after all. Who else would have helped me drag Agate's sorry butt out her today?" He added with a wink. Windy blushed, and Agate nodded before realizing what had been said and punching Pan playfully in the arm.

"You're my friend too, don't forget. We all love and care about you. No matter what Princess Luna or her butt sniffers think." Agate said smiling.

"And one day," Pan said smiling. "You will be my minion of chaos!" Pan cackled with maniacal laughter until a fly flew into his open mouth. He gagged and started coughing. His two friends laughed seeing him holding his throat and hacking a few more times before the fly was finally dislodged. He took in a deep breath glaring playfully at his friends. "Hey, I was just choking on a bug! I could have died!"

"Oh pity the poor Pan! Mighty lord of Chaos, felled by the evil house fly" Windy joked. The three friends continue to laugh at one another good naturedly as they continued on.

Suddenly magic grabbed Agate roughly and pulled him back with a surprised yelp. Not a moment later Pan felt magic grab his hood and yank it over his face. Windy gasped in surprise when she felt a magical tendril grab her, which was followed by a blinding flash of light.

The light flashed once again and the three teens fell to the floor with groans of pain.

"Owww!" Agate whined pulling his hood off, which had flown over his head in his struggle with the invisible magical force, and quickly took in his surroundings. Pan did the same, groaning in pain as he sat up. Windy got to her feet, rubbing her eyes in an attempt to get full vision back, then looked around her and almost wished it hadn't worked, as she recognized who's room the trio had apparently been teleported too.

The room was small with a large desk in front of them; the floor was made of old worn out wood partially covered in a rug; the air was stuffy with the scent of ink and paper, and hanging on the walls were banners of the four knightly orders of Canterlot. This was the room of the Captain of the constable guard, a familiar blue haired unicorn man, who was currently sitting on top of the desk observing the trio with an unimpressed frown.

"Oh! Hey Gallant." Windy said chuckling nervously, rubbing the back of her neck. "You're sure looking good in those new duds."

Prince Gallant Shield, son to Princess Cadenza and Prince Shining Armor, glared at the three troublemakers. He set down his scroll and quill to stand before them, dressed in the blush pink tunic with the crystal heart stitched on his chest to symbolize his branch in Princess Cadenza's guard.

A few years ago, Gallant was sent to his father at the Crystal Empire to be trained to become a unicorn knight, and when he had returned from his training he was both meaner and more serious. Especially towards Windy Belle. After his knighthood ceremony Celestia had placed Gallant at the royal guard office outside of the castle to preform constable duties before giving him a proper station and granting him a village to defend.

"I was told that there were three thieves running amok in town today. Apparently they were dressed in cloaks just like yours. They stole some produce from the Apple Clan vendors." Gallant said quirking his brow at the three of them. "You three wouldn't know anything about that, though, would you?"

Pan scoffed, affecting his best offended tone. "Come on Gallant, you old stick in the mud, we didn’t steal anything." Pan said smiling. Gallant glared at him, effectively shutting Pan up.

"I already sent word to the princesses about you. I'm to pass you along to them as soon as I find you. I just thought it fair to give you some warning before giving you over."

"Huh?" Agate gasped. "But we-" Windy quickly clamped her hand over his mouth, to shut the dragon spawn up. Smiling at Gallant, she quickly tried to defend the trio.

"Come on bud, we didn’t do anything! We weren't even anywhere near the apple stands today.

"Really now? Well then you shouldn't have any problem explaining that to the Princesses, right?" With a snap of his fingers and blue sparks from his fingers, the three disappeared leaving Gallant alone in his office.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Celestia sighed hearing the large man, once again, reiterate his complaints. It had already been a long morning, and the line that stretched out of sight told her that her day wasn't half over. She had a feeling that at least most of these people had the same complaints and fears as the gentleman sitting in front of her had. Bandits were attacking and killing innocent farmers and caravans on the frontiers of Equestria's borders, and they were now here to beg royal aid in solving the problem. This man was a member of the well-respected Apple Clan, and had been chosen to come and speak on behalf of his neighbors. The bandits were getting bolder by the day attacking further into Equestrian lands and even pillaging the villages and manors surrounding the capital city.

"Master Apple, things will be sorted out very soon, I'm sure. I'll have my own personal knights search the roads for thugs and thieves as they travel to Ponyville. We’ll have the bandit tribes taken care of I assure you."

The big, ginger haired man, bowed respectfully. A young man, and an even younger girl, bowed and respectively curtsied with him. His son, and his niece, if Celestia remembered correctly. "That is all we ask Princess. Thank you from my kin, as well as the whole of Ponyville." The man said, his rough accent slipping into his otherwise diplomatic tone.

Celestia nodded with a small smile. "No, thank you Master Apple. Once you return to your clan's home give your Matriarch our warm regards." The man stood straight and smiled, his son and niece mimicking his actions.

Suddenly there was a pop of magic and three hard thuds and grunts were heard. The three Apples turned in surprise to see three teens laying on the floor groaning.

"You know, I'm starting to think Gallant hates me." Windy snapped loudly.

"You think so?" Pan asked sarcastically. Agate pushed his hood away and gasped as he took in his surroundings. They had landed right in the throne room in front of the princesses, during a full court no less.

"Yeah, he's turning into a right prick." Windy growled out loud sitting up, and trying to get her bearings. Agate gulped patting his hand on her shoulder, trying to get the girl's attention, fully aware that everyone present could hear the bashing of the royal son. "I mean is he still sore that he was beaten up by a girl when we were kids? I mean really...suck it up."

"Windy!" Agate whimpered. Windy glared at him, wondering just what was so important.

"Agate will you quit shake ..." Windy snapped and stopped abruptly as she looked around her, realizing where she was. The first person she saw was Princess Twilight apparently trying to disappear into her hand as she hid behind it, her face practically glowing in embarrassment. "Oh shhh-oot."

Pan paled seeing his mother and twin sister looking at him in shared embarrassment. His mother's look carried a serious undertone of anger, while his sister looked concerned. "Uh...oh."

"Pandemonium!" Celestia scolded as the three immediately stood up, bowing to the monarchs. "What have you three been doing all day?" Celestia asked trying to extricate the truth from her son.

"What? Nothing! We just went into town and explored for a bit." Pan said affecting his best innocent face.

"Into town? Where three teenagers wearing cloaks that just happened to look like you three, were spotted stealing apples? No, I'm SURE I'm looking too much into this." Celestia deadpanned. “Please, tell me you three weren't involved." The look on the trio's faces was all the answer she needed. She brought her thumb and forefinger to cup the bridge of her nose. "Please?"

"Getting into trouble as usual, I see." Luna purred as her daughter, Lucky Moonflower, nodded with a barely concealed smirk. "Don't worry Sister, I'm sure it isn't Pan's fault. He was probably just led astray by the help." Windy glared in anger, and Agate bowed his head with shame.

"We didn't mean to steal anything! Honest! It was just a joke that went a little too far..." Pan attempted to defend.

"That's right!" Windy added. "We didn't mean to actually take the apples, we were just caught in the middle of pretending to swipe the apples, and the shop keeps took it the wrong way. Honest your highness." Windy said bowing.

Luna snorted. "A bit too defensive, don't you think? I bet she's the mastermind, and she dragged your precious son along with her. As I've always said rotten tree, rotten seed."

Windy blinked in shock at this shot at her mother. All her life, Luna had taken shots at Windy. Attempted to get her in trouble, and blame her for just about anything short of an earthquake, but to actually take a shot at her mother? A loyal member of her own guard? That bordered on the disgusting. She never understood why Luna hated her so, but as the years wore on she found it more and more difficult to defend herself, even with the help of her friends and surrogate family. Soon she'd have to defend herself without aid. According to most laws Windy was nearly a grown woman, and as a member of the servant class she would soon find it impossible to rebuke Luna's assault on her character.

"Wait a second! That’s not fair!" Agate exclaimed suddenly. "It wasn’t Windy's idea!"

"He's right!" Pan interjected. "I'm the prince. It is my job to know better. Please, if anyone has to be punished it should be me!"

Celestia smiled softly. Her son showed a lot of nobility, not to mention maturity, in his willingness to sacrifice himself for his friends. It made Celestia proud, even if she knew she would never do anything all that awful to children.

"Alright, regardless of whose fault it was, you were all together when caught. It then only makes sense to punish you all together. Your punishments will be a series of chores. Chores you will perform to the benefit of those you have wronged today." Luna snarled lightly, turning away from the scene, and what she believed to be far too light a punishment. “Pan you are my son and the first chore will be to help Master Big Mac until he deems fit."

The three turned to see the Apples glaring at them with disdain. No doubt they were already aware of their theft from the Apple Clan.

"Spike!" Celestia called.

"Yes, your highness?" He answered rushing forward, before bowing.

"Agate is your son so you may choose the second punishment."

Spike smiled and nodded. "Of course, your highness." He turned to the three teens. "I have the perfect job for you three to do. Once you are finished with the Apples you will return here and polish the royal study's book shelves, AND dust off each and every book."

The three teens groaned looking to the floor, knowing that task would stretch on forever.

Celestia turned to Twilight next. "Twilight, as Windy Belle is under your supervision you may pick a fitting punishment for her and the boys as well.

Twilight nodded. "I think I have the perfect-"

"No," Luna interrupted. "I have a better punishment for you three. One that is not quite as nampy pampy as your other guardians." Celestia, Twilight, and Spike all glared at the Princess. They held their tongues, however. They had learned over time that it was crucial to pick your battles with the Princess of War.

Twilight sighed leaning back into her throne and tapping her fingers on the arm of her chair. She worried for her surrogate daughter, but she kept her cool.

"You will meet me back here when you have finished with the Apples and the Library." Luna said, taking the time to give them each their own glare.

"Yes, your highness." The three of them responded in obedient fealty.

Celestia sighed with worry as she stood up. "Your punishments begins now, follow Master Apple and his kin to his stand and do as he wishes. Also, you will all be going to bed with no supper."

"Aw come on!" Windy exclaimed as Agate whined pitifully, and Pan groaned mouth salivating for the lost meal already.

"Get going, the sooner you are finished with your first two 'chores' the sooner your real work will begin." Luna snapped.

As Master Apple and his kin walked past them, the three regretful pranksters followed them out the door into the city.

Luna smirked sitting down in her throne. She turned to her daughter, Lucky and whispered to her. Lucky nodded with a smirk and then ran off. Celestia turned to notice Twilight and Spike looking worried seeing Luna's smirk

Author's Note:

And here's chapter one. Hope you guys enjoy. :raritywink:

As always thanks to my editors Xhoral1865 and Connor Gordon for the help. Chapter 2 will be up soon. :raritywink: