• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 513 Views, 3 Comments

Warrior, Protector, & Survivor - TigerSwirl448



Medieval Equestria is under the theat of war; will Windy Belle fulfil her dreams of becoming a knight and save Equestria from certain doom?

  • ...
6
 3
 513

Prologue

Captain Rainbow Dash of the Shadowbolts stood at attention outside of the grand throne room. She sighed softly, keeping her face expressionless in front of the knights standing guard. She looked them up and down to look at the bright yellow and white tunics of Princess Celestia’s Solar Knights. One of them glared at her as Rainbow continued her expressionless gaze.

She heard a cough and looked down to find her four year old daughter wiping at her nose. Rainbow looked ahead thinking about the last two days. She had an argument with her daughter's second mother, which had ended with a bunch of screaming and yelling, forcing Rainbow to leave so as to avoid hurting her. If she were a normal person she would be feeling regret, guilt, or sadness for all she had said and done. Rainbow Dash and others like her, however, were forced to do away with their base emotion.

The Lunar Guard are a group of fighters under the banner of Princess Luna, they are ruthlessly trained and taught to never show emotion. They were trained to protect Princess Luna's honor and never back down or show mercy in any situation. If a guard were seen as being merciful, said guard would be severely punished and sent to a secret camp for re-education. Upon return, the guard would be merciless once again.

The door opened and a dragon spawn walked into the room. Rainbow looked him over and soon recognized him as Spike, Princess Twilight Sparkle's "assistant". Rainbow ground her teeth seeing the non-Equestrian creature standing in the great halls of her princess commander.

The green headed dragon spawn bowed his head to the Shadowbolt and waved to the door. "The princesses will see you now, Captain Dash." Rainbow nodded once then looked down at her daughter once again, to see her pink and rainbow head looking down at her shoes which had worn out from their long travels.

"Come along." Dash ordered as she walked to the doors. Spike blinked watching Rainbow walk past him without helping the small child along. No holding her hand or any further encouragement whatsoever. He turned to the little girl and saw that her eyes were red, evidence she had been crying recently. He stopped the girl, who had been dutifully walking after her mother, and knelt down before her.

"Hey there little one." He said, speaking gently. The girl looked up at him to see his grin and his reptilian eyes. Most children were easily scared by the dragon spawn's eyes and would run upon seeing them, but this child just seemed curious. She sniffed and smiled weakly.

"You have green eyes." She said meekly, giving a small smile. Spike smiled warmly back.

"That's right! Don't they look cool?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows making the girl giggle. "My name is Spike, what is your name little lady?" He asked reaching into his pocket to pull out a handkerchief and hand it to her.

The girl sniffled smiling, and took the handkerchief to wipe her eyes. "Windy Belle." She answered after a moment.

"Nice to meet you, Windy Belle." The dragon spawn said softly, giving the girl a smile.

"Windy Belle!" The girl jumped in surprise, and both turned to face Rainbow. She stood before the doors, an inpatient look on her face. "Come." She ordered, gesturing for her daughter to stand by her. Windy held up the hankie to return it to Spike but the man shook his head.

"You hold on to that for me a bit longer, ok?" Spike said, with a wink. He stood up and walked ahead past Rainbow. As he passed her he blinked hearing a slight angry growl from the guard that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. In retaliation he turned and stuck his tongue out at the guard, before quickly entering the room. Windy Belle giggled slightly at this, but stopped abruptly after her mother gave her a fierce glare. She then quickly walked over to Rainbow as the two followed the man into the throne room. Windy ran over to Rainbow and took her hand, hiding behind her, as Rainbow marched forward.

To the little girl the throne room could have been as big as the sun itself, as it was certainly the largest place she had ever seen in her life. The ceiling was high up with colorful banners hanging with magical symbols and insignias. To their left was a large set of desks set up in a semicircle where men and women were sitting with inkbottles and quills. They all looked towards Rainbow, Windy, and Spike as they approached the thrones.

Windy's eyes focused on the end of the room where four grand thrones sat. The two in the middle held the Royal Sisters; Celestia, the Princess of Peace and Justice, and Rainbow Dash's commander Luna, the Princess of War and Purity. On the lower thrones sat Mi Amore Cadenza, the Princess of Love and Kindness, and Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Magic and Knowledge.

Spike stood before the thrones and bowed. "Captain Rainbow Dash of the Shadowbolts, highnesses." He said formally before backing away to stand by Twilight Sparkle’s throne.

Princess Luna sat up with a smile seeing one of her soldiers approaching her. She stood and stepped down the three steps of the dais to approach her soldier. Celestia frowned with distaste seeing this, and Cadenza sighed rolling her eyes before turning away. Twilight though wasn’t watching Luna, nor the Shadowbolt, she was too busy looking at the little girl hiding behind Rainbow Dash, holding her hand. Twilight noticed that Rainbow’s hand wasn’t holding Windy’s in return, as well as how harshly she pulled her hand away to stand at attention before the Princess. She hit a brace and salute with her knuckle to her brow then went down on her knee to kneel before her commander. Windy Belle stood there confused looking up at the tall woman dressed in a dark blue tunic, dark trousers, and black leather boots. She wore a belt with a crescent moon buckle. Windy also noticed a few empty sheathes hanging on the leather belt.

The woman looked down at Windy Belle seeing her face and then her head of hair, the colors of pink and tuffs of color that reminded Luna of the soldier before her. Luna knew something was wrong with the child, but couldn't place what it was.

"Rise my loyal soldier." Luna ordered. Rainbow Dash stood up quickly, snapping to attention. "You have requested an audience with my sisters and I." Luna proclaimed gesturing to the three other princesses behind her.

Windy Belle turned to Spike and saw him speaking to Princess Twilight in a hushed whisper. Twilight blinked and looked straight at Windy Belle as the girl turned away looking down at her shoes again.

"What is it you had need to speak with me about?" Luna asked. Celestia sighed, rubbing her temples, feeling her annoyance growing. She never liked how Luna addressed her knights, even in front of the other three royal sisters. Celestia herself never spoke with such formality to her soldiers as it was, among other reasons, unnecessary. The guards were a constant presence, almost being like family with their ever present vigilance. Lately however, Luna stood more adamantly upon tradition, and spoke with almost cold formality to her soldiers.

"My Princess." Rainbow began, bowing before her. "I came to ask for your aid."

"At ease," Luna ordered allowing Rainbow Dash to take a slightly more relaxed stance, her hands held loosely behind her back. Windy Belle gulped, attempting to imitate her mother. Twilight felt her heart go out to the child, seeing her do so, it may have been cute if it weren’t for Luna's serious nature. She turned to her side to speak with Spike.

"Are you certain?" Twilight whispered, her voice thick with worry. Spike nodded.

"It shows in her eyes Twi." Spike whispered. "She was made using magical means."

Twilight nodded patting his arm, in thanks. "Luna will not like this." She said with deep concern.

"What is it you wish to speak to me about?" Luna asked with interest.

Rainbow turned to her daughter and pushed her forward, Twilight felt sickened by the unnecessary force used. It was like the Captain was shoving Windy into the manticore's den.

"This is my daughter, Windy Belle." Rainbow said with emotional absence. Luna nodded as she leaned over and took Windy’s Belle chin examining her face.

"I wish for you to take my daughter into your guard and train her as you have trained me. As you are already aware, I am to be leaving with my Shadowbolt fleet to the border of the badlands. She’ll be alone."

Windy Belle looked up into Luna’s eyes, managing to remain calm until Windy recognized the anger plastered on Luna's face. She tried to pull away but Rainbow’s hand on her shoulder kept her from escaping.

"Her eyes." Luna whispered with barely controlled rage, looking up at Rainbow Dash. "Who is this girl's father?"

For the first time since she arrived, Twilight saw Rainbow Dash show a spark of emotion, fear. Not the fear of a mother for her daughter, but the fear of a soldier caught disobeying orders.

"He... um." She stammered lamely.

"Answer me!" Luna boomed with authority. This caused Windy Belle to jump away as Luna grabbed Rainbow's tunic and pulled her forward. Rainbow gasped and stiffened noticeably, but made no attempt to fight back. She forced herself to meet Luna’s furious gaze. "Tell me you didn't commit this sin in my kingdom!" Rainbow quivered feebly under Luna's grasp, and found she couldn't meet the glare any longer.

"I was weak, Great Commander! I-I" Rainbow started with fear. Luna slapped suddenly and with great force, knocking her down.

"Mom!" Windy cried seeing Rainbow on the ground rubbing her cheek.

Twilight stood up immediately, having seen quite enough. "Luna, you will NOT do this in front of the child!"

Luna, growling, turned to the Princess of Magic's throne and gave her the same near murderous glare. "I do not care for this abomination or its feelings!" She snarled.

"Luna! That is enough!" Celestia said with the air of supreme authority, standing up. Luna silently glared at the two princesses that had defied her. She turned to the council members to see them bowing their heads or turning away to avoid Luna’s enraged gaze. She then turned back to Rainbow as she managed to stand. Windy Belle ran over to her mother hugging her waist, and trying to help her stand. Rainbow shoved her away again, as she stood at attention before Luna.

"Great Commander," Rainbow pleaded, a bit desperately. "Please hear me out. Just look at her." Rainbow said grabbing Windy's shirt and pulling her over to stand before the princess once more. Windy tried to back away but Rainbow kept a firm hold of her tunic to keep her from shying away. "She was born from two pegasi parents. Her first two years of life were a struggle during the magical epidemic. She survived while the other children in the village grew sick and died. Great Commander, I assure you, the moment she was born I could feel it. She will grow into a fierce warrior, a worthy knight in your Lunar Guard." Rainbow said bowing her head as she held Windy by the shoulders.

Luna thought on that for a moment looking at Rainbow Dash, one of her best soldiers, and then she looked down at the abomination created by magic standing before her.

"Even if I did accept this thing as one of my soldiers, it is far too young for the training." Luna said coldly which made Rainbow's face fall in disappointment, and a touch of despair. Windy felt her mother's hands squeeze her shoulders. "I'm afraid it will need to be dealt with."

Twilight's eyes lit up in horror at those words, and watched as the captain looked ashamed, but did nothing to protect her only daughter.

"Allow me to help you with this my dear guard." Luna said softly for only Rainbow to hear. She placed her hand on Rainbow’s shoulder and squeezed. Rainbow blinked a few times then began to grit her teeth, forcing back unshed tears. "I'll take care of it." Luna whispered softly.

Rainbow noted absently Luna’s hand release her, she then nodded her head slowly in acceptance. Releasing Windy’s shoulders, she stepped back standing at attention once more. Twilight left her throne walking quickly towards the three to the surprise of everyone in the room. She noted the dull gleam of a blade held hidden behind Luna's back. For too long Twilight witnessed these types of heinous acts from Luna and today she would not allow it to happen again. Windy was looking to her mother in confusion of the unfolding events, she didn't notice the dark Princess approach her menacingly.

"I'll take her!" Twilight blurted out causing everyone, Windy included, to turn towards her. Luna glared at the young princess as Twilight marched forward with a determined stride. "I'll take care of her for you, Captain Dash." Twilight said as calmly as she could, having to force her emotions to stay in check. She took Windy by the arm and pulled her away from Luna quickly. The sudden coldness of uncertainty in Windy’s body went away and a warm calm feeling filled her as Twilight wrapped her arm around her.

"Why? What use could such a creature be to the Princess of Magic?" Luna snarled as she discreetly sheathed her blade. She made a note of sarcasm evident in her voice, saying much for what she thought of the youngest princess' title.

"Think about this." Twilight said quickly patting Windy’s shoulder reassuringly. "You say she's too young to begin training as a knight." She paused as she looked to Rainbow Dash. "What is your daughter's name?"

"Windy Belle." Rainbow answered with due respect for a princess. Luna snarled in annoyance at the due.

"And what about her ..." Twilight thought for a moment considering, "Her other mother." Luna cursed silently walking back to her throne shaking her head. Twilight glared at the older princess, then turned back to Rainbow.

Rainbow thought for a moment then sighed. "Her mother is a Pegasus woman named Fluttershy. She's a healer from Ponyville." Twilight nodded.

"I see." Twilight whispered. She was silent as she looked down at Windy Belle seeing her looking back with the first shimmer of hope. Twilight's eyes grew in fascination seeing swirls of magic in Windy’s aqua irises. Just like Spike had told her he had seen. Windy Belle was born from magic and Rainbow’s claim about Windy’s second parent, who was also a woman, confirmed this fact as true.

"I for one see great promise in this young girl. I believe she may well be destined for greatness." Windy Belle was staring up at the Princess in awe, and Twilight gave the young girl a warm smile." I will raise her for now, until she is old enough to enter training. I believe she will make a fine addition to my guard."

Rainbow bowed her head to Twilight in respect and gratitude. "I thank you for taking her into your care. If you will excuse me I must muster my troops and prepare for our long flight to the badlands." Rainbow said bowing before she turned on her heel and walked away.

"Captain Dash!" Twilight called stopping her. "Aren't you forgetting something?" Twilight said gesturing expectantly towards the girl. She had a look of disappointment on her face, but she managed to hold onto some hope that Dash really did care for her daughter on some deeper level. It wouldn't be the first time Luna's guard indoctrination forced good people to forsake other loyalties that would normally be held in high regard.

Rainbow turned to see Windy Belle looking at her with a mix of confusion and sadness. The Pegasus guard sighed with what might be interpreted as a hint of emotion, and slowly walked back towards her daughter. Windy pulled her shoulder from the Princess's grip and ran to quickly cover the distance that separates her from her mother. When she reached her, she let out a choked sob, and threw her arms around Rainbow's waist in a desperate embrace.

"Mom, I...I don't understand! What's going on?" Windy managed to choke out through her tears.

Rainbow took a long moment to try to quell her emotions before they could form. She, for once in her long career as a guard, failed to reign in her feelings. Slowly, hesitantly, she placed her hand on her daughter's head. Running her hand through the hair that so reminded her the love of her life's own, she almost regretted what she would have to do next.

"Windy..." Rainbow hesitated, for once pausing to consider the feelings of her daughter. A large part of her brain told her such considerations were childish and empty, but another less hardened part of her mind would not allow her to be as calculating and shut off as she would normally be. "Do you remember how I said I would have to go away soon? To join my soldiers on the front line?" When Windy nodded, Rainbow continued.

"Well I can't just leave you alone. You're too young. That's why it's so lucky for us that the Princess so graciously agreed to take you into her knighthood." Rainbow held her daughter before her by the shoulders as she tried to make her understand.

Windy blinked, trying to rid her eyes of tears, but new ones quickly came to take the place of the old. "But...but

"Well until you are old enough to take the training, you have to stay here."

"But what about Mommy, why can't I go back to live with her?" The young girl failed to hold back the torrent of tears that she had been forcing herself to hold back for so long.

Rainbow bit her cheek and a contemplating look came to her face as she considered her words. "I'm sorry Windy Belle, you just can't. It's complicated. Maybe one day you'll see her. I've got to go now." Rainbow thought for a moment. "I know you'll do me proud. Good bye." With that final word Rainbow marched away. Windy was ready to go after her but Twilight stopped her by grabbing her shoulder.

"Good luck, Captain Dash." Twilight called trying to force joy into the words for Windy's sake. "We hope for your safe and swift return." Rainbow didn't answer as she walked quickly through the doors. Windy looked to Twilight with utter confusion as the doors shut. Twilight patted her back and turned her away towards the thrones.

Luna sat down on her throne glaring at Twilight as she lead Windy back to where Spike was standing.

"Windy Belle," Twilight began softly as she knelt down so she would be at eye level with the young girl. "I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. This must all be so difficult to understand."

"I want my mommy!" Windy said attempting to sound forceful, but being that she was also trying to swallow a sob her force quavered greatly, which ruined the desired effect. The fact that she was also addressing the four most powerful beings in all of Equestria didn't help matters. Luna growled at the lack of respect this abomination was using to address a princess, even one she had so little respect herself for, but when Twilight responded her voice was filled with nothing but compassion.

"I know dear one, and I am sorry, but she had to leave to perform her duties. She had to leave so she could defend Equestria. Defend you. Do you think you understand?" Windy nodded hesitantly. At that Twilight continued. "I'm afraid I can't give you your mother back right now, but I can at least tell you this. First, your mother is amount the most courageous woman I have ever known, never doubt that. And second, I can at least promise to try to make your stay at the castle as comfortable as possible."

"How? Mom said I’m to become a trained warrior like her."

"You will be, but for now you are simply too young to face the training. You are, after all, only what? Four years old?" Twilight asked with a gentle grin

"Four and a half!" Windy said indignantly, stomping a foot

"Oh my," Twilight said feigning surprise causing Windy to calm greatly, and also blush a bit. "You are a big girl." Spike smiled, watching the exchange, seeing Windy's tears dry and a smile appeared as the intended distraction succeeded in soothing the girl. Twilight turned to notice the princesses looking on as well, waiting for her to return to her throne, and the duties the quartet had in front of them.

"Windy, I'm sorry dear, but I'll have to finish speaking with you later, I have things I must take care of." Windy nodded feeling scared of the separation from one of the only people that had made her feel safe since entering this situation. "Spike," She called waving him over. Windy turned quickly and smiled that the dragon spawn apparently would accompany her. Spike smiled down at the girl in return. "Spike will take you to the kitchens to get you something to eat."

Windy nodded a confirmation, smiling.

"Good, tell the head baker that I sent you." Twilight said with a wink.

"Okay." Windy said happily. Twilight smiled patting her shoulder and stood, letting Spike take her out of the throne room.

Windy turned to see Twilight’s encouraging smile, she then turned to see Celestia and Cadenza's curious stares, and lastly seeing Luna's poisonous glare. This last look made her hurry from the room as the doors shut blocking her view from the throne room. She meekly followed Spike through the grand halls of the castle. She kept silent, Spike looked down to see Windy occupied, looking up at the giant paintings and columns as they walked. When they turned a corner Windy's nose picked up such delicious smells that her stomach growled causing her to giggle.

"You're hungry huh?" Spike asked seeing her nod her head. "Then you’re in for a treat. Stay close to me." Windy nodded as Spike lead her into a giant room filled with bakers and chefs working on cooking the lunch for the royalty and their council. When several cooks looked up they saw only Spike and continued on with their work, but some noticed the new face walking with him and looked on with bewilderment. Spike went through another pair of doors to enter the bakery side of the kitchen where several bakers were working on pastries. Baking, decorating, and even tasting the various culinary delicacies.

"Spikey!" A voice cried causing Windy to jump slightly, and hide behind Spike. Spike smiled seeing a woman with pink hair up in a bun and covered with a hair net walk over, smiling brightly. Her apron was covered in flour, chocolate, and frosting.

"What can I do you for?" She asked wiping her flour dusted hands on her pants.

"Pinkie, I have someone for you to meet." Spike said smiling turning behind him to see Windy hiding shyly behind his legs. Pinkie winked at him and knelt down to her knees to peek behind Spike to see Windy Belle looking to her nervously.

"Aw aren’t you a cutie pie!" Pinkie gushed. "I like your hair, it's so colorful, it's... colortastic!!" Pinky said with her trademark energy. Windy blushed from the compliments with a small smile. "I'm Pinkie Pie. What’s your name, Sweetie?"

"Windy Belle." Windy answered pushing herself slowly away from Spike’s legs to stand before the baker.

"Aw you ARE adorable, but of course I already knew that!" Pinkie said giggling. The other bakers smiled and watched the warm exchange with this new girl, while they continued their work.

"I think she has something to tell you." Spike said with a knowing wink directed to Windy.

"Oh, what could that be?" Pinkie asked smiling.

"Um the nice princess said to say she sent me here." Pinkie smiled giggling.

"Oh did she now?"

Windy nodded. "She said you might give me something special when I said that."

Pinkie gasped. "Oh she is too right!" She gushed as the other bakers were chuckling seeing Windy's face light up. "Wait over there by the door, and I'll be right back." Pinkie said pointing to a dumbwaiter door in the corner. Spike patted Windy on the back to get her attention.

"I have to get back to the princess. Pinkie will look after you until," He paused when he saw that the dumbwaiter door was opening and a red and yellow eye was peeking out. He smiled with mirth, and finished. "Um... just wait here, someone else will take care of you until this evening."

Watching Spike leave, Windy once again felt loneliness creep up on her. The nice pink haired lady wasn't even there. A young boy with yellow and red eyes peeked out of the dumbwaiter, smirking seeing the new girl in front of him. He smirked holding out his fingers and fluttered his them as sparks of magic formed.

"Oh you're going to love this!" Pinkie cried with a giggle.

The boy jumped and fell back into the dumbwaiter hiding as Pinkie came into view, as if out of nowhere. The boy peeked out, after a moment of catching his breath from the shock, to watch Pinkie hand a cupcake to the new girl.

"My own special recipe. Hope you like it." Pinkie said chuckling as Windy took a bite and hummed with delight.

"Wow!" She exclaimed. "What is this?"

Pinkie blinked. "Wait, you're telling me you never had a cupcake?" She asked in shock, and feigned horror.

Windy shook her head. "No, never."

"Were you living under a rock?" Pinkie asked still shocked.

"No, my house was by the woods." Windy answered with slight confusion.

"Seriously?" A voice exclaimed from the dumbwaiter. The young boy leaped out of the dumbwaiter surprising Windy who hadn't realized he was there "You're a kid and you've never had any sweets?" He exclaimed in clear disbelief. Windy blinked a few times staring at the boy's appearance. He was dressed in maroon red trousers and jacket, his eyes looked wild, and his hair was shaped and shaved to a messy Mohawk.

"Pan be nice," Pinkie scolded lightly. "I'll get you a cupcake too, IF you behave yourself."

"I could care less about your cupcakes. I want to know who this girl is and where she came from!"

Pinkie shrugged. "Spike brought her to the kitchen saying that Twilight sent her here."

"Aunt Twilight?" Pan asked with confusion looking to Windy as she took another bite of her cupcake leaving frosting on her nose.

"I don't know the details yet, Pan." Pinkie said handing him a cupcake as well. "You have to ask your mother, or Windy yourself if you want to know more." Pan blinked then turned to the girl to see her finishing her cupcake.

"I'm Pan." He said pointing at his chest. "Who are you?"

"Windy Belle."

After a long moment Pan had finished the cupcake Pinkie had brought him, then wiped his hands on his trousers before running to the dumbwaiter.

"Well are you coming?" Pan called surprising Windy.

"Huh?"

"Come on, Mother doesn't want us kids to be in the kitchen anyway."

Windy was confused until she saw Pinkie wave to her. "Go, play. I'll let Twilight know where you are."

"See," Pan urged. "Come on get in!" Windy nodded with only slight hesitation, as she climbed into the dumbwaiter with Pan and rode up to an unknown level of the castle. At the very top of the chute Pan opened the door and immediately Windy could hear other children laughing and playing. Windy leaped out of the dumbwaiter to see that she was in a large room. She gasped looking around her to find full bookshelves, plushy pillows on the floor, toy swords, shields, bows and arrows, and even stuffed animals.

"Wow...where are we?" Windy asked in astonished wonder.

"Welcome to the royal play room." Pan said happily. "Hey guys we have a new friend!" Pan called causing everyone that had been running around the enormous room to stop what they were doing and come over. Windy watched as the five walked over to see Pan and herself. There were three girls and two other boys in total.

"Hi, there" One of the older girls with light blonde hair said brightly walking over to her. "I'm Princess Radiance." Windy watched as Radiance pointed to a boy with light blue and purple hair and glasses on his face. "This is Prince Gallant Shield." Gallant bowed to her. Windy smiled shyly as Radiance pointed to a dark dressed girl hiding behind Gallant. "This is Princess Lucky Moonflower." Lucky waved her hand careful to keep behind Gallant Shield.

"Those two over there," Radiance said pointing to the younger girl and the little boy. "That's Princess Starchaser and the youngest of us is Agate Quartz." Starchaser smiled and Windy smiled in return. "And that rascal behind you," Radiance added as Windy turned to face the boy who had brought her here. "Is my twin brother Prince Pandemonium."

"Pan for short." Pan added smiling. "This is Windy Belle." Pan said taking the initiative and introducing the new girl. "Aunt Twilight sent her to the kitchen for a cupcake and guess what? She never had sweets!"

The children all gasped in shock. "No sweets, whatsoever?" Gallant Shield exclaimed. "Really?"

Windy shook her head. "No, never had a cupcake before. It was really good." After a moment of disbelief hanging in the air, the tension was broken by Starchaser asking.

"Want to play?" She held up a doll, offering it over. Windy thought for a moment then turned to one of the wooden swords laying on the floor. She picked up a sword and swung it lightly.

"Yeah, I want to play." The children all smiled. Pan smirked and picked up a sword as well.

"Let's play then! I am Prince Pan, here to save my princess from the evil witch!" Pan exclaimed.

"No," Radiance called taking the sword from Windy and smiling with bravado. "I shall protect my dear friend from you, you vile Lord of Chaos!" Windy felt a hand grab her and pull her away to see that it was Starchaser who had done so.

"Watch this." Star said pointing at the brother and sister as they lashed the wooden swords playful until Pan let out a gasp holding his sister’s sword between his side and arm.

"I am slain!” He exclaimed. “Let the world know the Lord of Chaos dies in battle!" Pan exclaimed dramatically as he fell to the floor playing dead as the children cheered loudly for Radiance.

A few hours later Windy was sparring with Gallant Shield. Gallant was surprised by how quickly Windy had adapted the pretend weapon, as she pushed him back until he hit the bookshelf. He dodged as the wooden sword hit the spines of the books. Gallant hit the corner and Windy’s sword was pointed between his eyes as they panted hard from the fight. Gallant let his sword drop to the floor, an acceptance of his loss. Windy stepped back smiling.

"Wow, Windy you're good!" Radiance cheered. "No one has beaten Gallant before. And he’s the oldest and a page!"

Gallant gave Windy a look as he walked away blushing. Lucky ran to him with a hug, whispering to him as Gallant nodded his head. Windy was ready to say something to him when the play room doors opened.

"My, my, my, are my little minions horsing around without me?!" A jolly voice called out.

Pan and Radiance gasped turning to the door. "Father!" They cried running to him and nearly tackling him in a hug. Windy turned to see the tall man hugging the prince and princess lovingly.

"How are my minions doing this evening?" The man joked as he ruffled Pan's head and kissed Radiance on her head.

"Excellent, Father." Radiance answered happily.

"I heard from the servants that we have a new friend?"

Pan nodded pointing to Windy. "Father this is Windy, she's a great sword fighter."

"Oh, is she?" The man asked turning to Windy. Windy blinked looking him up and down. She thought Pan had looked scary when she first met him, this man looked far more so than Pan. He was a tall man with black and white hair, his face looked pointed as if his whole face was chiseled from stone, he was dressed in dark red trousers, a plain tunic with patches of fabric, and hanging from his pocket was a chain for a watch. Windy gripped her sword just slightly tighter on instinct, not realizing she had done so.

"Ah Windy Belle hello, I am Discord, Lord of Chaos. You have already met my children and my nieces and nephews yes?"

Windy nodded, avoiding eye contact with the man

"We were just playing Lord of Chaos father!" Pan exclaimed. "And Windy is the best warrior ever."

"Hmm, that is interesting isn't it." Discord walked over and knelt down to look Windy over. He looked into Windy’s eyes and noticed the magic in her irises and winced slightly. "Hmm, more interesting than I thought." He said standing up quickly.

"What's wrong Father?" Radiance asked worriedly.

"It's nothing my dear." He said covering his trepidation with a quick smile. He leaned over to whisper into his daughter’s ear. "Keep her away from your dear Aunty Luna understand?"

Radiance blinked a few times bewildered, before nodding slowly. Discord then walked over to Starchaser to see what she was reading.

The door opened again and Princess Twilight stepped into the room. She and Discord met gazes for a moment before they each nodded to one another in greeting.

"Good evening, Discord," She said smiling, Discord chuckled at the small amount of distrust that remained in Twilight's voice before answering the greeting.

"Good evening, princess." He said politely.

"How was your trip?" Twilight asked.

"It was relaxing. Just returned to see my little minions before I have to return to my post!" Discord answered casually. He chuckled as he grabbed Pan and hung him over his shoulder. Pan was laughing from being hung upside down.

"I wish you luck. Cerberus has been lonely, or so I've been told." Twilight said smiling as Discord rolled his eyes.

"Now he assumes I’m his new master, the poor creature." Discord said smiling as Pan roared trying to grab his sister’s hair.

"Mother!" Twilight smiled seeing Starchaser getting up from her spot on the floor. She ran over to hug her around her legs. Twilight rubbed her daughters back then turned to see Windy blush slowly walking over to her.

"How was that cupcake?" Twilight asked winking knowingly as she lifted Starchaser onto her hip. Windy nodded, and smiled slightly, brushing her arm

"It was very good."

Twilight smiled. "Excellent. I was able to get you living arrangements during your stay. So until they make room for you, you can stay with Starchaser, okay?"

Windy nodded smiling. "Okay."

Twilight nodded. "Follow me then." Twilight took Windy's hand and lead her out of the play room and through the halls. Windy looked behind her to see the children following Discord out of the play room in a different direction. Twilight then stopped at a door and opened it.

"This is Starchaser's room." Twilight said putting down Star to let the girl run to her bed. Windy looked around surprised by the size, and found a large bed by the wall, a telescope sitting by the large window leading to a balcony, on the opposite wall of the bed was a book shelf and a desk piled high with books and pictures of stars.

"My room is through that small door." Twilight said pointing at a closest sized door next to the bookshelves. "You can share the bed with Starchaser until the living arrangements are met. If you need anything don't be afraid to ask." Twilight said softly seeing Windy's smile.

"When will I see my mom again?" Windy asked, some of her earlier sadness beginning to creep back up on her

Twilight took a while to answer trying to think of a way to explain her situation. "Windy dear, she'll be back as soon as her tour at the border is over."

"When will that be?" Windy asked tears beginning to creep back up on her.

"I'm not sure Sweetie. I'm sorry." Twilight turned to see Starchaser holding up a book. Twilight sighed with a smile, thankful for the interruption.. "Oh alright I'll read to you."

Starchaser squealed laying on the bed. Twilight tickled Windy's chin and smiled as Windy giggled, the sadness receding away once again. "You want to hear a story?"

Windy nodded her head.

"Then get on; take your shoes off." Twilight said as she slipped off her shoes to sit on the bed with Starchaser. Windy pulled off her shoes and leaped up onto the bed with Twilight on her left side and Star on her right side.

Twilight opened the book and began to read. The story was about a powerful Unicorn wizard. Windy listened with awe hearing the story and looking at the painted drawings on the pages. She liked the part about the brave knight who fought alongside the wizard to discover treasure and fighting back the dragons and dragon spawn tribes. Windy’s eyes went wide with awe hearing about the knight protecting the unicorn until the very end.

Later that night Windy and Starchaser were fast asleep in the bed, as Star dreamed of magic and stars, Windy dreamed of being a warrior and confronting a powerful dark unicorn wizard. All Windy could do was smile in her sleep.

Author's Note:

Finally I posted something here huh? ^^' Sorry about that but life, college, and other activities caused me to not be as active here. And also it was nice to take a hiatus (I suppose) from here.

Anyway this story was written throughout the spring and summer and is just reaching the end on DA. And I decided to try and upload the story here but make sure it was edited and proofread through before posting here. So I hope you guys enjoy the start of a brand new story.

Big thanks to Xhoral1865 & Conner Gordon for the editing and proofreading job. :twilightsmile: And also Thanks to HazuraSinner for creating the characters and for letting me use her characters for this story.