• Published 1st Aug 2015
  • 3,198 Views, 1,640 Comments

Life of a Wanted Changeling Season 3: Tyrants, Terrorists, and Tiaras, Oh My! - Down with Chrysalis



The continued adventures of you, Bugze the Changeling! (Comment-Driven Story)

  • ...
21
 1,640
 3,198

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 74.5: Changes on the Horizon

“TRRIIXXXIIIEEE!!!” you cry out to the heavens, but she does not respond.

“Wake Up! Wake Up!” you plead as you begin to shake her, but she does not respond.

“I’m Sorry! I’M SORRY!!! I Forgive You Alright?! I forgive you, just wake up…Please…” Your apology changes nothing, she still lies limp within your hooves.

“...Nooo…Nooo…” you whimper out.

Her eyes still remained closed, and no breath escapes her. You may have hated this mare. You may have wished her immense pain and harm. You may have blamed her for every bad thing that’s happened to you. But this...You never wanted her…

And just like that, a floodgate of emotions erupts. The faces of Flag Burner, Sin and her group, all those lost in the otherworld…and Trixie… All of them dead. All of them perished, because of you.

“I…I did this…I did this…” you drone as you are overwhelmed, your voice quiet and hollow.

Bugze! You must get ahold of…tions are…ing manipu…Selena cuts in and out, but right now, you are in no position to respond.

“I did this…I drove you to this…” you admit to the limp mare in your arms.

“I…I…Medic…Medic…Medic…” you whimper out before shouting. “MMMEEEDDDIIICCC!!!”

“AAAAAAHHHHH!!!” comes the screams, because of course they would come.

You sluggishly turn around, and look to the crowd of horrified ponies.

Through your tear filled eyes, you see the Deadly 6 standing along with a crowd of townsponies. All of them, every last one of them is horrified and aghast.

And why wouldn’t they be? All they see is an orange haired changeling with his hood down, covered in the blood of the nonmoving mare in his arms.

Each of the Deadly 6 are overcome with emotion by your state. Fluttershy is horrified and crying,

“H-Hoody…” she whimpers.

An immense look of sadness is held on Pinkie’s now restored face. She says nothing as her mane deflates. Rarity is on the verge of fainting, her mascara running down her face from both the rain and her tears. Applejack and Rainbow are both disgusted and beyond fury. They grit their teeth as furious tears well in their eyes.

“You…You Varmit…” Applejack seethes.

“You Monster…” Rainbow growls.

And Twilight…Twilight holds all of these emotions at once, added in with one more. Hurt.

“What Have You Done?” she asks in shock.

“I…” you try to explain, but you immediately close your mouth.

Why would they ever believe me? Why wouldn’t they believe the worst? Why Wouldn’t they throw their accusations? After three years, why would they think otherwise?

Truth be told, you wouldn’t trust the Changeling before them either…

The guilt courses through you, and for the first time in a long time, you envision them as their dead otherworld dopplegangers, but you don’t look away from them. You’re done running from your mistakes.

You bring Trixie around and lay her in front of you on the ground as many of the ponies gasp and take steps back. The rain drips on her still face.

“Medic… Medic…” you plead looking directly into Twilight’s gaze.

Twilight looks from you to Trixie and calls out to the crowd,

“Doctor’s! Nurses! Anypony with Medical Training! Help!”

From the crowd rush nurses and doctors who get to Trixie’s side, all the while giving you nervous looks, but you do nothing but stare out at the ponies in the crowd, still resting upon your knees. You spy Zecora, holding the Alicorn Amulet, and she too is distraught. Octavia, Lyra, and other members of the horde look conflicted. And the kids…You see the CMC and others being ushered away from the sight. Spike though looks downright devastated.

“She’s Not Breathing!!!” shouts one of the doctors who starts doing CPR.

“She’s lost a lot of blood, and the puncture wound has been haphazardly burned!”

“Can you do anything?!” asks Twilight in worry.

“We’d need to be at the hospital in the ER instantly!” one of the nurses expresses in resignation.

“I can help with that…” comes a voice with power from behind you.

Suddenly in a flash of gold, the doctors, nurses and Trixie are teleported away.

The ponies in front of you gasp in shock, but you don’t need their reactions to know who’s behind you. Still, you don’t respond, you just stare over the crowd, sitting in the mud, too overcome to do anything. You just lower your head and stare at Trixie’s bear, covered in mud and specks of blood, you slowly pick it up and bring it to your chest.

“So…You’ve done it again,” comes the voice from behind you. “After so many months of silence you return…and another one of my pony’s blood is on your hooves.”

Her voice is tinged with sadness, anger, regret…and disappointment.

“I thought that with Discord we could prevent this. That we could stop another rampage…That we could save your soul…”

You still don’t respond as you cradle the bear of the mare who fell into despair because of you.

“I don’t know what happened, who that mare was, or what brought this situation on in the first place, but if that mare has perished because of your actions, whatever the reason I…” she trails off. Judging from the expressions of the crowd, it’s not a pretty sight.

“I just want to know one thing…” she Princess Celestia mutters as she circles around and puts her face in yours. Her eyes look tired, and full of misery.

“Why? Why do you do these things you do?”

You don’t answer her. You’re too hollow to do anything.

“Why? TELL ME!!!” she shouts in your face, causing your mane to whip about. Still, you do not answer her. You have nothing you could possible say.

She continues to gaze deeply into your eyes. If you could still feel anything but guilt, you would shudder. After awhile her gaze drops and she sighs.

“You’re broken. I can see it in your gaze.” She then stands at her full height and looks down upon you.

“But broken or not, you still must pay…Will you come quietly? Have you had enough of bloodshed?”

You still don’t answer her as you let the tears flow down your cheeks. Before you know it, you are encased in a bubble of yellow light.

Why even fight it? Who else do I have to hurt before they take me down anyway?

“Twilight Sparkle!” Celestia barks out.

“Y-Yes Princess?” Twilight asks as she steps up towards her mentor.

“Distribute these to your friends.”

The princess levitates a box towards her and she opens it.

“The Elements?” she gasps in surprise.

It is in fact the Elements, the weapons that make the Deadly 6 even more deadly.

“Yes my student. I was going to leave this with you along with…” she holds a book up before placing it back into her bags, “Something else. But present circumstances call for action.”

Twilight nods, and each of the 6 take their respective Elements of Harmony as the crowd backs away.

“I deserve this…” you whisper as you hug the bear tighter.

Once each of the Element bearers have their pieces, Celestia turns back to you.

“Hooded Offender. For your crimes against Equestria and it’s citizens, I pass judgment upon thee,” she declares with her wings extended.

“I deserve this…” you bemoan. Through your grief, you feel as though you’ve forgotten something important…but you can’t quite grasp what it is.

“I sentence you to the magic of the Elements of Harmony!” she announces before looking back to you in an inquisitive glance. “And whatever happens…happens.”

“I deserve this,” you say yet again.

You look to each of the Elements who start to hold hooves.

Fluttershy, still saddened gives you a hopeful smile, “It will be OK Hoody. Your darkness will be driven away.”

Darkness being driven away? That feels like it should mean something…but it won’t matter soon, you think in resignation.

The crowd watches in shock and fascination, the Elements all begin to glow, and Celestia watches intently upon your sentence.

For all the innocents you hurt, for all the pain and suffering you’ve brought. You know that the world will be a better place after that rainbow of death strikes you. Trixie didn’t deserve this treatment, but you do.

Closing your eyes, embracing the despair, you resign yourself to your fate and just let go.

“I deserve-“

“NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!” your mouth yells with fear and desperation. Dark misty power explodes forth from you in a wave as the yellow bubble is burst sending out a massive shockwave. The blast knocks back several crowd ponies that scream, it kicks the Elements out of their warm up and causes Princess Celestia to step back in shock.

You watch all of this from your eyes, registering it, yet you are not the one in control. Even more so, you can’t seem to care one way or the other.

Princess Celestia, and the Elements look to you in confusion and annoyance.

“Why do you still fight?!” Princess Celestia demands angrily. “Why can’t you just acc-“

“YOU CAN’T HAVE HIM!!!” the dark feminine voice yells back with your mouth as another dark wave washes out over them.
Every single pony looks upon you with shock, but none so much as Celestia.

“That voice…”

“YOU WON’T TAKE HIM AWAY FROM ME!!!” Selena yells, causing your eyes to blaze as hot as the sun as your cloak swirls around you.
The Elements look like they’re ready to fight again, but they are taken by surprise when Celestia begins walking towards you.

“So that’s the secret then. It’s been YOU the whole time. It’s always been you…” she then stops and glares at your glowing eyes.
“Nightmare Moon.”

Selena widens your eyes in shock momentarily, before she hardens them again. The gasp is audible throughout the crowd and even amongst the Deadly 6.

“N-Nightmare Moon?” Twilight stutters.

“It can’t be,” Rainbow gasps.

“This whole time?” Applejack blurts.

“How dreadful!” Rarity squeels.

“That actually explains a few things,” Pinkie surmises.

“Nightmare Moon?! You’re Nightmare Moon?!” Fluttershy shouts in shock and a bit of anger.

Selena looks left and right at all the ponies murmuring and muttering before she glares back at Celestia.

“Release him!” Celestia demands as her horn starts to light up. “You will not be using him as your puppet anymore!”

She grits your teeth at the accusation. The Elements are starting to power up again, and Celestia is preparing a spell.

“You Can’t Have Him,” she whispers before yelling, “Would You Kindly Bucking Bronco!!!” Her aim of the glove sends Celestia, the Elements and several in the crowd flailing in the air, cutting off their attacks.

Before they have a chance to orientate themselves, she runs into the sea of Apple Trees. When you are out of their range, she lights up your horn and you are teleported away.

You appear again, deep in the heart of a dark forest that could only be the Everfree. Panting and gasping, Selena diffuses the Nightmare Cloak and says,

“Bugze! Bugze can you hear me?!”

You don’t answer as you continue to watch the world through your eyes.

“Bugze! Please, you must come to your senses!”

I deserve this…you mutter as the guilt still eats away at you.

“Bugze?” she asks in worry.

I…I killed Trixie…I deserve this…

“Bugze…”

You can see, you can hear, but you are not currently at the wheel of either your body or mind. You drone on and on…

Your body sits down upon the ground and suddenly, the image of the mare in the moon is in front of you.

“Bugze, it’s me,” she says as she puts a hoof to your cheek.

“I deserve this,” you respond.

“Can’t…can’t you understand me?”

“I deserve this.”

Her eyes well up, before she looks down and shuts her eyes tight. When she looks back at you her face is angry.

“YOU!!!” she yells behind you, but you do not turn. “You Did This To Him!” She then storms past you. You hear a blast of magic and a yell of pain from Sombra.

“You flooded him with all that suppressed guilt while he was still in shock!!! You've overwhelmed his psyche!!!” she yells as another blast of magic brings another scream.

“You Planned This DIDN’T YOU?!!!” Selena roars as she sends out a stream of magic that doesn’t let up for some time. Sombra’s pained screams echo within your mind. You hear this, but it means nothing to you.

Selena pants and all is silent for awhile till the fallen King responds.

“Of course I planned this. I’ve been waiting for a moment in which to strike. In which to put him in a position to be killed and release me! The guilt and shock at that Mare’s death was perfect!!!” Sombra answers panting himself.

“You…You…” she snarls.

“What did you expect?! You two keep me prisoner here! Almost every day you keep me drugged out of my eyes. A blithering idiot! And when I finally come from out of the haze, you put me back under! Only during this whole ordeal, you forgot to put me under again. So Yes! I took my shot!”

“You…you moron…”

“I was so close. So close. Celestia and those meddlesome mares would have gotten rid of you and...are you laughing?”
Selena isn’t so much laughing as she is chuckling darkly.

“What is so funny shadow spirit?!” he demands.

“You are a complete and utter idiot, drugs or not. Do you not realize the Elements…Oh no, no you wouldn’t realize it. We…I mean they didn’t use those on you,” she surmises and chuckles again.

“What are you blathering on about?”

“The Elements of Harmony destroy ALL darkness within their path, did you seriously not know that?”

He doesn’t answer so she continues.

“Well, it doesn’t matter whether you knew or not Filth!” she snarls. “Because of your actions, you’re finally in the same damned boat as us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Because now our death won’t release you. Because now they are always going to try to strike us with the Elements of Harmony, the one weapon that will destroy all of us, no ifs ands or buts. And do you know why?”

He doesn’t answer, so she finishes.

“Because they’re no longer hunting my changeling anymore. They’re Hunting ME!”

Hours Later

POV Change: Princess Celestia

It’s been some hours since your startling discover. Well, startling doesn’t even come to compare what it is.

Nightmare Moon, the spirit of the creature that took your beloved sister away from you for a thousand years is alive and well. She has been for the last three years causing mayhem and destruction with her newest host The Hooded Offender.

You feel as though you’ve been blind this whole time, or maybe you just didn’t want to see the signs. Maybe you didn’t want to consider the possibility that that monster was still around. And because of your blindness, your ponies have suffered for three years.

You look upon the latest to suffer. Trixie Lulamoon sits in a hospital bed, hooked up to the many wonderful machines of modern science. Thanks to your teleportation, the Doctors were able to restart her heart. After a few hours of surgery, and a blood transfusion, she lies before you, Alive, and yet Not at the same time.

“The Doctor’s say that though she’s stabilized, she may not wake,” Twilight says from beside you in worry.

You look down at your most faithful student as she continues.

“Trixie, she…she was never the best pony, and she did some horrible things but… But she didn’t deserve this. She was corrupted and delusional because of that Amulet, and The Offender I…” she falters and you put a wing upon her back to comfort her. “I should have been there to stop it. I let myself believe that he wouldn’t go too far.”

“You are not at fault Twilight. Nightmare Moon’s lies can fool even the most gifted.”

She nods at this and looks down.

“Speaking of the Amulet, does the Shaman Zecora still possess it?”

“Yes, she said she would ensure that it never fell into the wrong hooves again,” Twilight nods.

You let out a sigh of relief,

“Good. I do not want any more victims to it’s curse.”

Giving one last look to your fallen subject, you usher Twilight from the room and into the hallway where the rest of the Element Bearers await.

You look to them and say,

“Trixie Lulamoon is stable. Beyond that, it is up to her own body if she will pull through.”

They look downcast at that.

“Now my little ponies, I know you’ve all gone through a great ordeal these last few days, but what I say next must be spoken.”

They perk up and listen intently.

“In light of today’s discovery, you 6 will have an even more vital role in stopping the Hooded Of- In stopping Nightmare Moon,” you correct yourself.

“Should we go out looking for her now?” asks Twilight. You shake your head.

“No, not now as we are. Your brother has a project that will be helpful to our cause, but it is still months from being finished. Also in the coming days, I hope that you all will have more…” you then look to Twilight’s side, “Firepower…” Twilight seems confused at this.

“Firepower?” she asks.

“Yes, don’t concern yourself with the specifics for now, I shall disclose that info in due time,” you wave her off. You’ve planned so long for her ascension, and Nightmare Moon’s return or not, you will help her achieve her destiny. It will be needed now more than ever.

“You six must be the ones to take her down. It’s the only way that…that the changeling can be saved.”

They all have differing reactions to this statement, though you notice Fluttershy has a look of relief.

“Y-you really think he can be saved?” Twilight stammers nervously.

“Would you condemn the actions of one who is being corrupted against their will? He is no different than that poor mare inside that room, or my sister” you declare.

She and the rest are enlightened through understanding.

“I…you’re right princess. We can’t condemn him for Nightmare Moon’s actions.”

“Well shoot, now ah kind of feel guilty on how much I pounded on him,” Applejack muses.

“Yeah, I mean, sure the guy’s a jerk, but if he was being controlled and all those things I did…” Rainbow Dash trails off.

“That ghastly mare! Imagine if it were one of us she were to possess,” Rarity shudders.

“I…I always did feel confused in regards to him,” Pinkie nods.

“See?! See Girls?! I told you all! I told you all from the beginning that Hoody wasn’t bad!” Fluttershy chastises the other five and they wilt their ears.

“You’re right Fluttershy. I’m so sorry we doubted you,” Twilight apologizes and hugs her friends. The rest of them join in and apologize as well.

“It’s alright girls. I’m just glad we’re all on the same page. I’ve…I’ve actually known about that Evil Witch for awhile now, but I didn't know it was HER. I don’t think Hoody even knows that he’s possessed by Nightmare Moon herself. She’s giving false names to him, claiming to be his friend,” Fluttershy relays.

You clench your teeth at that.

“Those are the same lies that were spoken to Luna before…” you shudder at the thought of that horrible night. Speaking of your sister, you realize that you’re going to have to break the bad news to her as well.

At least she was already on her own personal quest trying to save him. I’m just glad she never ran into him alone. Nightmare Moon might have taken the chance to…

“Princess Celestia, are you alright?” asks your student at your forlorn expression.

“I’m as fine as can be my student. I’m just worrying about my sister.”

She nods before asking,

“And what about the Alicorn Filly he claims is his daughter?”

You stiffen as you’d almost forgotten about that detail.

“I cannot honestly say I know how she fits into this. On one hoof, I’d be tempted to go with our original explanation that she’s Nightmare Moon’s reincarnation…” you then shake your head, “But on the other hoof, the fact that she is still alive and possessing the changeling throws that idea out. That filly is an unknown factor in all of this.”

“I…I don’t think she’s evil,” Fluttershy speaks up. “If anything, she’s probably a victim of that evil mare just like Hoody.” Nodding you say,

“That may very well be the case, but until we know more, we can’t accurately say. Until that time, we will consider her like we would consider any other child.”

You then look to each of them.

“In the coming days, we shall rebuild the damage done. I want you all to try and live your daily lives. Until we have a location and a plan of action, there is nothing we can do but wait,” you then turn to Twilight. “I shall give you time to rest my student, but soon I will hand you off the second item I wished to leave with you. Until then, please watch over the Elements.”

She nods and places them back within the box.

“Now then, I will depart from you soon. Thankfully the Saddle Arabians did not see the horrors wrought this day, though I should be getting back to them soon after rudely teleporting them to Luna.”

You then turn to go back into Trixie’s room.

“Many changes are coming my little ponies. It will be our duty to let everyone know that Nightmare Moon is the true enemy, and that hopefully, Hopefully we can save the Offender and set things right…”

Twilight and her friends nod as they all look to each other and begin whispering. You let them talk as you reenter the hospital room.
You close the door and gaze back upon the comatose unicorn.

“You were hurt because of my ignorance…forgive me…” you apologize.

“Well if that’s the impression you got about it, go ahead and feel sorry for yourself,” comes an annoying voice you are still trying to get used to.

“Discord,” you say “pleasantly.”

“Tia,” he says in the same manner as he walks up beside you.

You both look at Trixie on the bed for a beat before you say,

“We know now why you’ve been having trouble finding him. The Offender is actually the host to Nightmare Moon.”

He lets out a gasp, that doesn’t quite sound genuine, but with Discord, you could never tell.

“Oh dearie me. Who could have seen that coming?” he mocks.

“Discord, I would like to retract my previous orders. If you find the Offender again, I don’t wish you to bring him in. We have to purge the darkness from within his body, so if you do find him, please report back to me so that we may plan.”

“Oh come now Tia, you don’t think little ‘ol me can handle your sister’s goth phase?”

You give him a sneer and he chuckles and relents.

“Alright fine, Draconequees’s honor,” he says holding up his lion paw.

He then does something you don’t expect, he puts his paw over Trixie’s closed eyes and closes his own.

“What are you-“ you begin but he holds up a shushing talon. After a few moments, you hear a ding and his eyes open.

“Ahhh, so that’s what actually happened,” he murmurs to himself.

“What do you mean? What did you just do?” you ask in alarm.

“Oh calm your wavy hair princess, I was just reviewing the last site her eyes saw,” he says with a smirk.

“And?” you ask.

He looks down at his side for some reason, towards what looks like a scratch, before he looks back up to you.

“Oh it’s just like you said Princess. It’s how you think it happened,” he answers, a little too peppy.

You can’t tell if he’s truthful or not. If he is hiding something, you don’t think it matters much. Nightmare Moon is still out there.
Letting out a sigh you say,

“Very well Discord. You may resume your task when ready.”

“Oh, in that case I think I’ll go cheer poor Fluttershy up. She’s no doubt riding a whirlwind of emotions,” he says as he snaps his claws and disappears.

Sighing again, you look down at Trixie one more time before your own horn flashes, and you teleport back to Canterlot.

POV CHANGE: Selena

“Bugze…what has that monster done to you?” you mutter in sadness.

You are now in the corner of his subconscious where you rested after you nearly died from the Orichalcum wound. A new bed has been conjured as you place the shell shocked Bugze into the bed. His eyes still stare forward, seeing but not seeing. The one responsible you have punished severely for what he tried to do. You did not kill Sombra, Bugze and Nightshade wouldn’t like that, but you did beat him something fierce and left him to his horrible movie solitary.

“Rest here for now. I will take care of things till then,” you say as you brush a hoof through his spikey mane. He still does not respond, and there is even a projection of that dual colored bear in his hooves.

Sighing again you say,

“I will get you through this. Even if the whole world is hunting me, I will get you through this.”

And with that, you close your eyes.

Assuming Direct Control

And open his in the waking world. His body has been sitting in this location for hours, and it is nearing evening, but you had to make sure he was stabilized mentally first.

You look around your surroundings, your teleportation is a little more reliable than your changeling’s.

“This is the path…it has to be. That bunker is the only place I can go till he snaps out of it.” You then shake his head and look down upon his body. The Magician’s blood still cakes to it. With a flash of his horn, the blood is gone, but there are stains that remain. Also, his hoof still holds the dual colored bear. Even in his state, and you in control, he hasn’t dropped it. Sighing, you open the Inventory and place it inside.

Trixie’s Bear added to Inventory.

“Nightshade!” you call out to your precious daughter. She immediately sticks her head out.

“Mom?” she asks a bit surprised.

“Yes my child, I need you to come out for a moment.”

She does so and looks around her surroundings.

“Oh, in the Everfree again huh?” you nod.

“Yes. We are heading back to your Great Grandfather’s bunker until…until…” you hesitate.

“Oh, Okay. I assume dad beat Trixie right? I saw her bear get put into the Inventory.”

You wince and look away at that.

“Speaking of, where is dad? Why are you in control right now?” she asks.

Sighing in resignation, you realize it’s no good to lie to her.

“Walk with me Nightshade,” you say as you begin to walk down the path.

She trots alongside you looking curious and anxious.

You have a long walk ahead of you, and a lot of harsh explaining to do.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Author's Note:

Hey Hivemind,

I hope you’re all still here and willing to see things out, the Season Finale Arc is only a few chapters away. I know the subject you’ve just read is pretty dark, but then again we’ve had dark stuff happen in the past. Even still, I wanted you all to know the reasoning behind this action.

The plan always was changing the status quo and making the Wanted aspect more pronounced during the Trixie Arc, even before I became the head writer. Instead of recycling the cliché of Bugze losing control and nearly killing her and becoming more wanted again that we’ve seen time and time again, we sought for a different direction that accomplished the same task.

The Idea for this Arc Ending came about months back in Season 6 when Trixie had an on screen suicide attempt via Manticore due to the loss of a friend (You can’t push that under the rug, we all saw that episode.) And since LOAWC has never shied away from darker aspects in the past, we rolled with it.

Of course Trixie’s not dead, but Bugze doesn’t know that, and the event has let him know that even if he doesn’t lose control, his actions, and even his words, still have consequences.
He’s still on the run, but now it’s the mare in his head that’s the prime target, meaning other characters will respond a bit differently thinking he’s a victim in all of this.

I hope that you like the idea and see how we can build upon it, and if not I apologize.

If you’re still willing, then let’s control Selena for the first time as she talks things out with Nightshade, and let’s see if we can get Bugze out of his shell shock.

And maybe we can see the thoughts of other ponies in light of this new information you know, like Cadance, Princess Luna, The Horde Members, etc.

Same rules as usual, no Princesses, Discord, Elements, or Doctor showing up where Bugze and Crew are.

And in spite of the dark, sad stuff, please try to have fun.

PreviousChapters Next