• Published 1st Aug 2015
  • 3,200 Views, 1,640 Comments

Life of a Wanted Changeling Season 3: Tyrants, Terrorists, and Tiaras, Oh My! - Down with Chrysalis



The continued adventures of you, Bugze the Changeling! (Comment-Driven Story)

  • ...
21
 1,640
 3,200

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 68: Revelations Long Overdue (Written By: BrownDog77)

Special Opening Theme

You were not ready for that sentence. After three years, and several times asking, you didn't ever think she would say that to you.

“The Truth about Nightshade?” you ask in shock and she nods.

“I promised you that one day I would tell you everything," she nods "And now on this still night, after pondering over that filth's words, after witnessing the joy on Nightshade's face today and many other days…I think I’m ready.”
She looks nervous more than anything as she turns towards you.

“Are…are you sure?” you ask. You want more than anything to know, but she looks scared.

“Yes…I have already delayed this truth far longer than I should have.” She then sighs and looks to you pleadingly. “It’s time for you to know…even if it makes you hate me once again…”

You gulp at this and she looks away from you and to the ground. You steel yourself for whatever truths may come.

“I already told you about how we first became joined…” she pauses.

“Yeah," you answer, "You were dying and fading away in your armor after being hit by the Elements when I stumbled upon you and you jumped into me.”

She nods. “You saved my life that day Bugze, I shall never forget it.” She then looks up again, “And from that day forward, I grew stronger within you, giving you the power you wield…for better or for worse.”

She then shudders and sighs heavily.

“But that wasn’t originally the plan…”

She pauses again so you stay quiet and let her continue.

“It was not even a week after the Elements of Harmony had struck me, and that traitor had abandoned me. Even as I lay dying, the only thing I wished was vengeance upon them all," she declares with gritted teeth, "When you became my host, I found within you a dynamo of magic, seemingly blended together. Some of it felt familiar, other pieces I perceived as Changeling magic, but you were also overcharged with a magic I myself couldn’t identify.”

She looks to you,

“I now know it was Love magic, far more than a creature should hold within it.”

“Shining and Cadence’s love blast…” you say in realization causing her to nod.

“Precisely, but at the time all I knew was that I had jumped into a Changeling who held more magic than most. I had an avenue…in which to enact my vengeance.”

“But, how does Nightshade…?” you ask in confusion, causing her to hold up her hoof.

“When we bonded, the moment you fell asleep, I reached out with my own fledgling soul into your store of power. Tapping into this magical source, I set about performing a very old, very dark, and very complicated spell. A spell that not even Starswirl the Bearded would dare enact.”

“And…what spell was that?” you ask in trepidation.

“Transmutation,” she says as if the word is vile.

That word strikes at you. One of your favorite animes dealt heavily into that word. And things didn’t always go good for the Elrics.

“With Luna and I's shared blood from inside the armor, the mass amounts of magic at my disposal, and the blood of the changeling I had jumped into, I had all I needed…all I needed to create flesh, blood and bone…” her voice hitches as your eyes widen.

“Flesh blood and…that means?” She answers with a nod.

“So…Nightshade was made with a spell? With both our blood and magic?” you deduce. She nods again and you are speechless. She had said before that Nightshade’s birth was far from traditional, but in light of this revelation, that doesn’t seem an accurate enough description.

Equine Transmutation is not simply far from traditional. It's dark, unnatural, and from all you've ever understood, impossible. In the realm of fantasy. But then again you live in a world where magic is the norm, and a Time Traveling alien pops up every now and again. Still, you thought that there were some rules that just didn't get broken.

But you are still confused, because though you know the how, you still don’t know the reason why. Why did she create Nightshade?

“But…I don’t get it. Why go through with creating a filly? How would that…? I don’t…”

“Bugze…back then, all I saw of you was a tool, a pawn to use to get what I wanted. And what I wanted…was a body…” she strains to say.

“A…body?” you say in dread.

She closes her eyes and nods.

“Y-You…” you gasp as understanding finally dawns, so she continues your thought.

“Nightshade was created so that I could walk the land once more. So that I could personally destroy that traitor and my enemies. To be the new body of Nightmare Moon.”

The declaration is like a deafening thunderclap. All other sound dies out, crushed under the weight of what those words mean. The shock runs throughout your whole body.

“B-but…”

“You know how I was back then…How cold and calculating I was. Do you doubt I would’ve done such a horrible thing?” she says with a hitch in her voice and her eyes tear up a bit, leaving you again to process her words.

You imagine the thing she described coming to fruition, Nightshade not existing, and Nightmare Moon living again…but…

“But that didn’t happen,” you say aloud. “None of that happened. What changed?”

She sighs,

“An act of fate I suppose. Even with that magic within you, I was still weak. I was only a shadow of a soul. A collection of HER stolen thoughts and memories. Weakened as I was, the spell cast was only enough to create the body of a filly…after which, I was much too drained for anything else, and I took to recuperating within your mind.”

“So that’s when she got into my Inventory,” you muse, that piece of the timeline fitting in perfectly.

“Indeed, a large, hidden and protected area, it was a ideal location," she confirms. She pauses again before continuing.

"But know this Bugze, even after all I had done, after all the effort and strain I put into creating her, even in the depths of your mind, I was surprised beyond surprise when she popped out and first spoke to you.”

“You were?” you ask as yet another shock hits you. “But, you created her. How could you be surprised at her speaking?”

“Because I had not set out to create a sentient being…only a new shell for me to fill. I did not plan for her to actually be a pony with thoughts, feelings and a soul,” she says in guilt.

“But…if she was only supposed to be a body, then...how is Nightshade…Nightshade?” you ask in confusion.

She looks down at that, “I do not know Bugze. I still don’t know. Perhaps it was the love magic I used, perhaps I made a mistake with the incantations, or maybe that’s what the spell always did…I do not know. But at the time, when my heart was naught but ice, I thought that I had failed and would have to utilize a new plan for my body,"

She looks away from you again and shuts her eyes tight.

“With her sentient, I figured I would have to play the waiting game, reside within you as she grew to the point where I could effectively take her over. She had already made the parental bond with you, and so I used that to my advantage. I gave you power so that you could protect my vessel till the time was right for me to take my vengeance.”

You look down as you process this information.

“You were using me to protect your new body?” you say, hurt washing over you.

Again, she silently nods, her face full of shame.

“So…All those fights I got into, every time I went overboard…this whole time…every time I’ve ever freaked out when she was in danger…that was because you made me attached to her?” you accuse.

“No Bugze," she declares, "Your attachment and love of Nightshade was all you. You posses a strong natural parental instinct, even if you didn’t understand how she came to be. I only gave you the power to act upon it…”

“But you were using that fatherly instinct. Perverting it to your own purposes!” you snap at her causing her to wince.

“Yes. I do not deny it. I’m sorry…but Bugze, you must believe me,” she looks over to you worriedly. “I don’t use her or you like that anymore. As I viewed her life with you, as I saw her learn and grow, I became attached. I viewed her less and less as my vessel, but as a pony I had created. A pony that shared my blood. My child. And it took Discord for me to finally admit that I loved her.”

She then looks up at the sky again, “Even if her birth was for monstrous reasons.”

You turn from her and look down as you process what she’s told you. And yes, it is a big revelation learning about all this. Heck it’s more than that, it’s life shattering. The last three years with your daughter has a new underlying narrative to it. You were used by a dark goddess to create a new body, that your love and protection of Nightshade had a darker motive. That you were used. That it could have turned out so much more horribly. That your child could’ve been the bringer of eternal night…

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” you ask, your voice barely above a ragged whisper.

“B-b-because…” she sniffles, out of the corner of your eye you see the tears start to fall, “Because I was ashamed about how I once was. Over these last three years…I have willingly taken on the role of a mother. I love, I care, I *sniff* want to see her grow up in happiness,” she blubbers.

It’s been some time since you’ve seen her worked up like this. The only other times you’ve seen her so emotional, she thought you were going to kill her. Does she think that now?

“I hate knowing that all these new emotions and experiences I’ve gained, that this love I hold,” she continues confessing, “that I originally started any of this, so that she could be a pawn in one of my games, that I thought of her as a thing and not a pony…it makes me feel guilt beyond measure.”

She sniffs again and looks away from you, holding her head down, but you still can’t bring yourself to look at her.

“And not only that…I was selfish. You and I…we’ve…we’ve grown closer…” she says in melancholy. “When you asked me for the truth on that train and again after my return…I did not want to lose what we’d gained. I was afraid…” She admits as she looks back at you with tear stained cheeks. “I did not want you to hate me again, for the monster that I was…But now…now that I’ve come clean, I fear I’ve waited too long…that that fear has come to fruition.”

That part hits you hard. It is as you thought. She’s emotional because she’s afraid of how you’ll react. How you’ve been reacting. Only she’s not afraid of you killing her…she’s afraid you’ll hate her. And do you hate her? You were used since day one. She took your blood and made a child without consent. She planned to use that daughter as a meat coat to bring about the end of the world. She manipulated your emotions to suit her needs. Truly she was as monstrous as the boogeymare legend claimed.

And yet…do you hate her?

You look back upon the mare in the moon. She looks nothing like how you first met her, and that doesn’t just mean for her height. The change is in her eyes. Her draconic blue eyes are not that of a monster. They hold a sadness you’ve seen before. One you saw when looking into a mirror when you were younger. The sadness and fear of being hated and abandoned. Of being alone.

Her words have rattled you, have made you see your recent past through a new lens…But her eyes tell a different story. They are not the same eyes as the spirit who possessed you three years ago. They are the eyes of the mare who has protected you through thick and thin. They are eyes of a friend. Of a mother. And most of all they are eyes that hold truth, and a mountain of regret and sadness.

Your emotions are stirred, but you make your decision.

Do you hate her?

She takes your inquisitive silence for confirmation to her fears as she turns her head away.

“I understand your anger, and I understand why you could never forgive me. I waited far too long, and I wasn’t honest with you from the start. I will still protect you and Nightshade, but If you wish for my silence I will-*Gasp*” you silence her with a hug. Just a simple hug, and yet it conveys so much more. She seems hesitant within your arms, as if she doesn’t deserve it, and she stands still, not returning the embrace.

“I don’t hate you Selena, I have no reason to,” you tell her plainly.

“B-but I…the things I did…” she counters, not quite believing as she trembles.

“Did Selena do them?” you ask, throwing her for a loop.

“Wh-what?”

“Did, Selena do the things you described?” you ask once again. Understanding still escapes her at your question.

“I-I don’t.”

“No. Because the Selena I know loves her daughter like no other. She puts up with an idiotic changeling daily because she cares about his well being, and because he is the father of her child. Selena will joke and snark and honor her promises. She will feel remorse and guilt over mistakes she’s made, and will try to better herself. She will have your back when noling else in the world will.” You then add the kicker, “And she will selflessly sacrifice herself for another…”

“B-Bugze…” she stutters.

“Now tell me. Does that mare at all describe the one from the past? The one who would create a filly for a tool of vengeance? No, because that mare wasn’t Selena. That mare was Nightmare Moon.”

“B-but Bugze, I am-“.

“No You’re Not!” you say pointedly as you hold her at arm’s length, looking into her eyes. “Nightmare Moon has been dead for years. She died the day you decided that love meant more to you than her goals of conquest. That you were a mother and a friend more than a god…”

Her eyes well up again, only this time, her eyes seem grateful.

“So, how can I be mad at a dead mare? All I see before me is Selena, a mare who would never do something so horrible…a mare who doesn’t need to be afraid of a shadow from her past,” you say pushing a stray bit of mane out of her face.

She sniffs again and looks away from you.

“You may honey your words as much as you like, but it doesn’t change the fact that before that mare died, I was still her.”

“Yeah, but you know what? It doesn’t matter,” you say turning her head back towards you.

“It doesn’t matter why Nightshade was born, or what your plans once were," you declare.

"H-How can you-"

"There are many parents out there that have had a child for all the wrong reasons. Maybe they were unplanned, maybe they were a result of poor decisions, or maybe they were conceived out of spite, trickery or maliciousness,” you list off before squeezing her shoulders.

“The reason why they were started means nothing when compared to how they are raised, and how you act as they grow,” you lecture.

“B-but…”

“Look, I’ll admit, what you’ve said tonight has shaken me. You’ve answered a question that I didn’t really expect to hear. It was a shocking answer. More than that it was life altering.” She tries to look away at that, but you won’t let her.

“But the very fact that you’ve told me, even through your fears, shows that you care.” You then steady her and make sure she doesn’t look away as your voice takes on a stern edge.

“You CARE Selena. About Nightshade, about me, about all our futures. You care about the well being and happiness of others, where Nightmare Moon could have cared less. YOU. CARE. Do you understand?”

She nods, speechless and awed at your lecture.

“Good. So then care about my words. I don’t hate you because as far as I know, you have no inkling to go through with those plans am I right?”

“I-I-I…” she stammers.

“Are you going to possess Nightshade and take over her body?”

“NO! Never!” she shouts in defiance causing you to smirk. “I could never do that to her. She is my child! She is her own pony! And…I have no clue what would happen if I even attempted it. I fear that if I did, her personality, her emotions, her everything would disappear…and that is unacceptable! I would not risk sentencing my daughter to death!” she says with conviction and passion, which causes you to smile.

“And that’s all the convincing I need, and it should be enough for you too.” You then pull her back into the hug and pat her back. “It’s all you need…”

You hear her sniffle, and this time she returns your embrace with gusto. She trembles against you as her tensions and fears seem to melt before you.

“Thank you Bugze…thank you for being you,” she whimpers in your ear.

“No problem. Who else am I gonna be? Commander Hurricane?” you joke causing her to giggle a bit.

“Oh I hope not. He was such an arrogant ass, heh heh heh.” She relaxes even more as the fears of the mare in the moon wash away.

As you hold her you think more on your decision.

It may have taken her three years to confess the awful truth but she did, like a true true friend. She didn’t have to, but she put all of her trust in me. Why wouldn’t I put my trust in her?

After what seems an eternity, and gallons of tears, you two break apart and sit back beside each other, and her smile is more prevalent.

“Better?” you ask.

“Much so. It feels like a great weight has lifted from my chest and I can finally breathe again,” she says, her spirits visibly lifted.

That puts you at ease. You don’t want her feeling that you would abandon her. No matter how it started, Nightshade is only around because of her, and whatever may come, you wouldn’t trade that for the world.

You smile again and tell her,

“Good. And always remember, no matter how Nightshade came to be, she will always love you as her mother. Just being here for her is enough.”

She nods at this. “Yes, I can see that more clearly now…Perhaps now that my mind is at ease we can forget and move on from my little meltdown?” she ventures causing you to smirk.

“What? Afraid your street cred will be ruined if anyling knows that you have actual pony emotions?” you tease causing her to pout.

“I still am the true Princess of the Night, it would not do to have myself labeled as an emotional wreck. And I would thank you kindly not to share our private personal moments with others,” she instructs causing you to roll your eyes.

“As you wish my liege,” you say with a mock courtly bow causing her to roll her eyes.

“If I am ever recrowned I will abolish flourished bows.”

You look back up with your smirk,

“Glad to see we’re all better and back to our usual banter.”

She gives her own smirk to that. “Indeed. But one last thing on the serious front, I think it wise that we not tell Nightshade the truth of her birth…until she is much older that is.”

You agree with this sentiment. When she’s older, she can understand better.

“With our life though, I just hope to see her grow older. My parents never had that luxury with me,” you say in thoughtfulness.

“We shall Bugze. She shall grow before our eyes…or rather your eyes,” she says with a sigh.

You look her over and see that that sigh holds something else within it.

“Oh geeze, I took it back into serious emotional territory. I’m sorry. Are you alright?”

She waves a hoof,

“It’s nothing Bugze.”

“After all we just talked about I doubt it. Come on, what else is bugging you?”

With another sigh she says,

“It’s just that…I still wish to have a physical body again.”

“Oh…” you say in understanding.

“Not for the reasons I once had,” she reassures. “I still hate that traitor, but that is secondary to what I now want. I would like to see Nightshade grow with my own eyes, to speak with her with my own voice in the waking world…and to hold her with my own arms,” she looks at her forelegs as she says this, before pulling them back. “But I do not know how to accomplish this without that spell.”

A memory comes back to you when Nightshade was first introduced to her after you all fought Shadow.

“You freaked out when Nightshade suggested making a body for yourself. I didn’t understand why you were so terrified back then, but now…”

With a nod she explains, “That spell gave us a child, and I never wish to risk bringing another foal into this world that way again. Even if it succeeded, it would always be at the back of my mind that the body I created could’ve had it’s own life, that it could have been another one of my babies,” she shudders.

You understand where she’s coming from, so you place your hoof upon hers for comfort. “Well, I’m sure there’s some other way. This world is full of magical bullspit do-dads, so there’s got to be another way.”

“If there is, I do not know of it,” she then sighs again, “Besides, I cannot leave your head whilst we keep that Umbrum trapped here.”

“Huh? What is an...Oh…Right,” you say as with all these emotional roller coasters, you’ve forgotten about Ol Smokey. Selena continues her thought.

“I will not leave you alone with him, and until the day we can find a way to remove him AND ensure that he isn’t a threat to others, I will still have to remain here for your sake more than anything.”

Her mood droops with this declaration, but this won’t do for you.

“Selly, listen to me,” you say causing her to look up. “I promise you, that we will find a way for you to have a body again,” she seems surprised at this. “I don’t know how, and I don’t know when, but we WILL get you a body. I Pinkie Promise.”

She gasps at this. “Bugze, do not make a promise upon that Pink Eldritch Abomination that you don’t know you can keep!”

“Too bad, I just did,” you smirk as you finish sticking a cupcake in your eye. “Now I don’t have a choice but to find a way.” She sighs at your recklessness, but this gives way to a bright smile.

“Thank you Bugze. Not just for that promise, but for making this whole moment go against my worries. One day I hope to show you my appreciation for all this, my little changeling,” she says as she takes the initiative and hugs you tight.

“I’m sure you will,” you sigh at her warmth and softness.

“Indeed,” she whispers soothingly into your ear, nuzzling it. “Especially when I am once again flesh and blood, Nightshade won’t be the only one I can hold in my arms…” she sighs, caressing your back, causing your eyes to widen.

“Uh…what do you mean by that?” you ask nervously as you realize your own hooves are wandering.

She stiffens at your words.

“Um…” she stammers her eyes darting around.

“MOM! DAD!” comes the shout of Nightshade all around you, causing you two to break the embrace.

“Oh look a distraction, let’s focus on that and speak about this never!” Selena stammers, pink in the cheeks.

“Sure, yep, sounds good,” you stammer with your own blush as you witness Nightshade invading your dreamscape.

“Dad! You gotta wake up!” Nightshade screeches.

“Why what’s going on honey?”

“Scootaloo! She woke up and ran out into the woods!”

“What?!”

“She got scared of Rainbow’s snoring after a nightmare and she ran off! Even after the Luna Plushie, she still had bad dreams!”

You sit up right in your bag, still feeling sleepy as you see the Pegasus filly scooter off into the woods.

“Honey, Stay here!” you order Nightshade as you run out of the cave dislodging your ear plugs in the process.

“Scootaloo wait! Come back!” you yell, but the small little Pegasus can’t seem to hear you over the drone of her own wings.

Yeesh, can’t even have a life altering conversation without something in the real world going wrong.

Indeed, Mistress Luck never seems to give us a break, Selena agrees.

Eventually, After running through the trees and hitting several branches, you catch up in time to see Scootaloo fail to make a jump over the river and end up hanging onto the roots of a tree.

“Help!” she calls out.

“Don’t worry kid, Help is on the-*CRACK*”"

“AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!” she yells as she plummets into the water.

“Buck!” you yell as you see her being carried by the current.

“Mr. Tennant help!” she calls out.

Not thinking twice, you dive into the river…unfortunately the current is too strong for you to swim effectively. Scootaloo tries to swim towards you, but she gets carried further away…and towards a freaking waterfall.

“SCOOTALOO!” you call out and she starts crying as she nears the edge.

You send your shadow whip out towards her, but it falls short and she falls over the edge.

“AAAAAHHHHH!!!!”

“NOOOO!!!” you yell as the little filly falls to her death. You begin to lament that you failed to save her, only to see Rainbow Dash fly up with her and into the sky.

“Oh thank goodness,” you sigh in relief and relax…forgetting for just the right amount of time that you yourself are about to go over the waterfall.

Bugze! Selena yells snapping your attention to your imminent plummet.

“Oh…” you mutter as gravity finally frees you from the water into it’s deadly embrace. As you fall you yell out,

“BBBBUUUCCCKKK YYYYYOOUUUU LLLLAAADDDDYYYY LLLUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!"

*SPLASH*

You crash into the water at the bottom, the shock of the stop jolts you, and as your lungs are empty due to shouting, your body tries to breathe…while still underwater, and your vision darkens.

Moments Later, or an Eternity, You wake up, coughing up water from your burning lungs, and finally inhaling wonderful oxygen.

As you start coughing, regaining your functions, you hear Selena say worriedly,

Oh Thank the gods you’re alive. That’s it, keep breathing! Get it all out.

You do as she says as you still cough, and your vision spins. You feel sore from the landing, but even in your dizzy state you realize that you are at the edge of the river on dry land, the waterfall and cliff down some yards away.

How…how…?

You then realize that, amidst your own coughing, you hear someling wheezing and panting. It sounds like it’s coming from a mile away with your head spinning.

You look behind you and see a wet figure silhouetted in the darkness. It's the same figure you saw running from your shack after leaving you snacks. You can’t tell much about the figure except that it appears to be about your height, and the wheezing sounds masculine.

After you give another cough, you ask,

"Who are you?"

The figure stops panting as it looks at you from the darkness. You can see the shine of their eyes, but it's still too dark to make out.
Trying to get up, you crawl a bit closer.

"Who are-"

The figure suddenly points their hoof up and behind you,

"Look! A Distraction!" the figure yells in a rugged, raspy voice. It sounds familiar...

“TENNANT!” you hear a cry from above you. You look away from the figure to see Rainbow Dash flying straight towards you with Scootaloo on her back.

You look away from her and back behind you, and the figure is gone.

"Son of a...Beat me at my own game..." you mutter.

Rainbow Dash lands besides you and helps pick you up.

“Oh My Gosh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t know you were in the river too!”

“I’m so sorry Mr. Tennant,” Scootaloo cries as she hugs you.

You don’t acknowledge them, you just start looking around for that figure.

“Tennant?” Rainbow asks.

“Did you see him?”

“See who?” she asks.

“Th-the figure! The stallion that pulled me out!” you say looking around.

“Um…there was no one else here Baker.”

You walk over to the spot where you swear you saw him, but there are no hoof prints or anything.

“Baker?” Rainbow asks again.

“I-I swear…he was right here…”

“Who?” asks Scootaloo.

“I…no…nevermind, I think my head was still swimming from the fall,” you say as you look into the darkness.

Oh no, that figure was all too real, I heard him too.

You nod and turn back to the two pegasi.

“Now, why were you running in the woods young lady?” you scold Scootaloo.

She goes over how she was having nightmares, mostly about the story you told, and how she wanted to be cool in front of Rainbow Dash. This leads to a bonding moment for them, where she officially says she’ll act as her big sister.

You would have listened more closely, but you swear to Luna that...well, Luna was talking from the moon to Scootaloo.

"Holy Crap! Did you see that?!" you yell to Rainbow Dash.

"See what? That invisible stallion?"

"No! Princess Luna's face was on the freaking moon!"

"It hasn't been there for three years Baker. Are you sure you didn't hit your head?" she ask causing you to growl in frustration while Scootaloo chuckles and tries to whistle nonchalantly.

After you yourself start questioning your sanity again, Rainbow Dash apologizes again and again about not catching you, but you reassure her and tell her not to worry about it.

"Really? But you almost died, how could I make it up to you?" she says as she bats her eyelashes.

"Actually, there is one thing you can do for me," you tell her.

"Really?" she asks excitedly. "What?"

Moments later you are carried on Rainbow's back as she flies up the cliff with Scootaloo in her arms. She pants and is sweating.

"Come on! It'll be daytime by the time we get there!" you yell.

"Give me a break! You're freaking heavy!"

You laugh as Rainbow "Makes it up to you," and flies you all the way back to camp, where only Nightshade is still awake.

Yeesh those earplugs are godlike, you contemplate as your daughter runs up to you.

"Good job saving her Daddy," Nightshade beams.

"Actually all I did was fall off a waterfall, but thanks honey."

"Alright cool, well I'll get back to watching over her to make sure she doesn't have any more nightmares."

She is about to trot over when you stop her.

"Actually honey, let her have this moment with Dash. I want you to keep your mom company for me alright?"

"Oh...did something happen?" Nightshade asks in worry.

"Oh no, nothing like that. But she'd just like to spend some time with you tonight I think."

That would be an accurate statement, Selena says in a cheery manner.

"Alright then," Nightshade says with her bright smile. Seeing her smile, you know you made the right call. As long as you get to look upon that smiling face every day, you could care less what she was meant to be. What she is now is all that matters. And what she is now is your happy little girl.

Ruffling her mane, you slide her sleeping bag back towards yours as you lay down with her in your arms. She soon drifts off to sleep along with Rainbow and Scootaloo, but you find it hard to shut off after all the revelations and your rescue tonight. Speaking of your mysterious rescuer...

Selena. That voice. I know it sounds familiar...but I can't quite place it.

Whoever it was, he saved your life. For what reason remains to be seen, but I am grateful none the less.

As am I. Ugh, why are there so many mysterious beings in the shadows watching me?
With a sigh, you go to your inventory and pull out the Luna plushie.

I think we all need a good rest after tonight, you think.

Very well. I shall keep watch over Nightshade, should Luna still lurk around Nightshade's friend

Thanks. And Selena?

Y-Yes? she stammers.

I still meant what I promised, you reassure her causing her to let out a calming sigh.

I know you do, she says in thanks, Now rest my bug, we've had a long night.

Nodding in agreement, you look into the eyes of the Luna Plushie and fall into a dreamless, peaceful sleep.

Days Later

It's been a few days since you went camping. After your sleep, you and the rest of the group had finally made it to Rainbow Falls. The view was great, the Rainbows just the right amount of spicy for your camp nachos, and most of all, no one suffered any more nightmares. After the camping trip was over, Rainbow immediately had to go to the Wonderbolts Academy so thankfully she's been out of your hair these last few days. Nightshade has continued her lessons, but you can't help but feel as though you're going through the motions. In the next couple of days, the Saddle Arabian diplomats will accompany Princess Celestia to this very town. She will wish to speak to you about your "Brother" and who knows how she might monitor you to ensure Crimson Vengeance gets his medal.

Your days in Ponyville are numbered, and today is one such day. Today is the last day that Flash Sentry will be in town before he has to go back to work. One last day to spend in town with your bro before you will most likely never see him again (If you're lucky.)

As your eyes open on this very day you let out a sigh, and as you do, you can't help but notice there is a note upon your muzzle.

Peeling it off, you see it's from someone you haven't heard from in forever.

A Friend

With a mixture of dread and curiosity, you open the letter.

Dear Bugze,

Now As much as I want to tell you how much of a idiot you are and gloat about it, I can't. The clock is ticking and change is coming soon, and rather you like it or not its happening

I'm just gonna come out and say it. Today is the very last day you will feel happy and at peace in this town. Tomorrow, you will be back upon the road to despair. I would add in a "Pupupupu" here for a reference but even I have to be serious sometimes.

So take comfort in today Bugze. Spend time with your many frenemies, settle whatever scores that need settling, and say your goodbyes. Appleloosa calls to you, but the road is going to be rocky. Take comfort in your last carefree day in Ponyville.

Lady Luck is coming for her due, and then the fun will begin.

Signed,
A Friend.

As you put the letter down, you realize that your thoughts are coming to fruition, only much sooner.

Your friend has given you a heads up it seems.

Yeah. And I'd best take it. He warned me about Sunny Town before.

You awaken Nightshade.

"Hm? What is it dad? Why are we up so early?" she asks with a yawn.

"Honey. Today is our last day here." She looks up at you in shock, before her face becomes downtrodden.

"Already?" she asks.

"Yup. We've been cutting it as close as it is with Sunbutt's arrival, and it's time for us to go home."
She lets out a sigh at that, before looking up at you with sad eyes.

"OK Daddy."

You pat her shoulder and comfort, "We have one more day Nightshade. Spend it however you want with your friends. Don't let them know we're leaving, but still find a way to say your goodbyes. Tomorrow is the day we leave."

She nods at this, still in sadness, yet she understands.

You then stand up and open the door to your shack in the early morning light.

You both gaze upon the Apple Fields, and Ponyville in the distance.

"Our last carefree day in Ponyville huh?" you ask aloud as Nightshade looks to you. "Well, I guess we better get started."

YOU BOTH HAVE ONE MORE DAY. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Special Ending Theme:

Author's Note:

Hey Hive Mind,
Brown Dog here. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, If not then I'm sorry :fluttercry:.

This was my prize for the Story Art Contest from a few months back and I hope I did it justice.
Either way, we now know the answer to a few questions we've all wanted to know since Season 1.

Where did Nightshade come from? And more importantly, Why was she created?

For my prize I was allowed to reveal that mystery to you all (with permission from DWC of course) in my own style.

I wanted to present it in a way that not only answers these questions, but helps showcase just how far in character development that Bugze, Selena and Nightshade have undergone. Really what I wanted to do was give an emotional scene that made the revelation feel worth it. I hope it felt that way to you. Also, tell me that opening theme wasn't tailor made for this exact situation :pinkiehappy:

There are still many mysteries surrounding Bugze and Company, but for now, this one is solved. Time will only tell when the others will be answered.


Anyway, along with this contribution, I was also tasked with transitioning to the next chapter.
As you can see, this is Bugze's and Nightshade's last Slice of Life, Carefree day in Ponyville. How will they spend it?

The usual rules apply, so let's ensure that they have one more good day because the mysterious friend is right, dark times are ahead.

The Question For This Chapter is:

What would you do if you only had one last day to spend with your friends?

PreviousChapters Next