• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 2,124 Views, 103 Comments

The Great And Powerful Fairy Tail - The Corrupted Champion



Three outcasts converge on Ponyville and get swept up in adventures they'd never even dreamed of. It all started when Trixie Lulamoon returned to town looking to destroy the alicorn amulet... Fairy Tail Crossover

  • ...
5
 103
 2,124

Memories and revelations

Chapter 2: Memories and Revelations

Twilight's ear quirked at the sound of...eating? she turned and saw Discord munching merrily on a bag of popcorn. "...Discord! this is important!" she hissed, trying to stay quiet.

Discord blinked at her gave an annoyed pout before discarding the popcorn. "...Fine, but I'll be finishing that later..."

Twilight shook her head in annoyance before returning her gaze to the scene before them as King Sombra stood up to trot a few paces forward. A noxious black and green aura ignited around his horn and a strange spell circle flashed beneath him. The dark unicorn took a deep breath and exhaled... a massive gout of black and green fire that just barely missed the illusion Princess Celestia. "...I remember that... he used magic that I'd never seen before..." the present-time Celestia said quietly.

"...He called it "Dragon Slayer Magic"..." Luna answered almost automatically.

The projection Celestia was clad in golden heavy plate armor with an imposing halberd seemingly both crafted from the same material. The princess skilfully dodged the Baal fire and charged the dark king head on. The young ponies spectating the memory gasped as 'Celestia' impaled Sombra straight through the chest. "It's over Sombra; Yield!" she roared.

Lightning Dust grinned as she watched. "...okay...that was pretty badass..." she said quietly.

The young pegasus' enthusiasm didn't last as Sombra threw his head back and uttered a blood chilling laugh. "...Hehehehahahahahaha!!!!" Celestia's fury turned to shock as she tried to pull her weapon out to find it was stuck. "...So..." shadows began to writhe and churn around them. "...Much..." the shadows began to take shape and solidify, and a large black crystalline battle axe was formed. "HATRED!!!" the axe swung downward, splitting the ground where Celestia stood. "...It seems even the Goddess of the sun lacks purity in her heart..." he jeered, pulling Celestia's lost Halberd out of his chest. His shadows melted off of it like an icy mist off of a snap-frozen surface.

Luna, Clad in black armor, levitating a long sword at her side flew at Sombra at full speed. With little more then a sideways glance, Sombra's axe shifted as though it were liquid rather then solid, and arched toward the armored Luna.Coiling around her and pinning her against the wall with a loud clang.

He returned his attention to Celestia, and took a deep breath. A familiar spell circle flashed at his hooves and he bellowed "BAAL DRAGON ROAR!!!". Once again a stream of that black and green fire shot from his mouth at Celestia. She conjured a barrier spell to protect herself but it pushed her back to a wall. Her barrier flickered and dissipated after the flames subsided. Sombra wasn't done. "BAAL DRAGON HAMMER!!!" he roared as he charged forward, hooves engulfed in the same foul energy, and one hoof impacted heavily into Celestia's stomach completely knocking the air out of her lungs. The dark king's face now held barely contained fury. "...You call me an evil Tyrant..." he growled, only for the princess to gasp desperately for air in response. "You know nothing of true evil..." Celestia coughed a few more times before collapsing to the ground.

Sombra crashed another hoof full of dark energy into her cheek sending her a few meters further down the wall. Celestia cried out in agony as she skidded to a stop. "Rrrrrraaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!!!!" Luna's enraged battle cry drew his attention back to her.

His cruel smile returned. "...and then there was one..." he hissed through a menacing fanged grin; his body melting into a mass of shadows as a surge of power from Luna shattered her crystal prison, and she flew forward.

"Your reign ends here, Sombra!" She roared. "You and your dark magic will never harm another innocent soul AGAIN!" Her longsword clashed against Celestia's halberd in Sombra's telekinetic grasp.

Sombra merely smirked. "...No... my magic will save this world..." with a surge of his own power forced Luna back several feet.

Luna's glare narrowed dangerously. "I'm afraid I don't see your logic."

"...To defeat a unique and powerful enemy..." he began. "...you must master an equally unique and powerful magic..." he held up a hoof as it engulfed in the familiar foul energy. "The laborers toil would have been soon to pay off, once the weapon was complete."

Those words set off an alarm in Luna's mind. "A weapon that will never come to be, Sombra!"

Her declaration made Sombra's smile disappear. "...clearly..." he growled. "...I was not expecting you to come at me with all you had. All of Equestria was supposed to unite under my banner, and with the inherent magic of all ponies being focused into the Crystal Heart and the weapon..." Sombra's gaze fell to the ground and he muttered something that Luna didn't quite hear.

Luna slowly advanced on him, sword at the ready. "What was that?" she demanded. "what sort of unique magic are you talking about?"

Sombra's head snapped back up and glared at the princess once more with renewed ferocity. "...Blood Dust...The Lord of Tartarus..."

"I CARE NOT WHAT ELDRITCH PACTS YOU'VE MADE!" Luna bellowed as she charged forward once more; her sword swishing forward with a skillful finesse. Sombra moved with equal skill and stopped her blade dead with a wall of black crystal.

"...I am not looking for your approval..." Sombra sneered before launching a barrage of black crystalline shards at Luna, who deflected most and dodged the rest with a skillful flourish of her levitating long sword. "...You are irrelevant before the power of Blood Dust..."

"Who is this "Blood Dust"?" Luna demanded. "I am not familiar with that name."

"He would not appear before the likes of you or Celestia..." he hissed. "...He is the soul purpose for Tartarus becoming a prison; and yet time and again he has found ways to indirectly escape."

Everyone watched the projection in morbid fascination while Trixie, Sunset and Twilight immediately made the connection. "...the alicorn amulet." Trixie said quietly.

Luna began to narrate as her projected self merely glared disdainfully at Sombra. "I didn't believe him at the time. I had thought he was just lying to distract me." she said as her projection self continued clash with the dark King again and again, all the while, the two barking insults at each other.

"What Nonsense are you spewing now?!" Luna demanded.

Sombra glared back at her. "Who do you think molds the nightmares you stand against every night?" he taunted. "...Blood Dust!!" He roared, the ever shifting shadows taking the form of dozens of black crystalline spears. "...Do you honestly think You have ever once witnessed the full extent of his power?"

Luna dodged and weaved through the projectiles taking several hits in the process; one in the right foreleg, one in her helmet, knocking it off her head, and one in her side.

Luna glared at Sombra after being blasted back by that foul black and green fire yet again. "What manner of magic is that?!" she demanded. "I have never seen this wretched blackness before..."

Sombra ginned a sinister fanged grin. "...It is called Dragon Slayer magic...Princess Luna."

everypony watching the projection could see the confusion on Luna's projection self. "...What...?"

Sombra's grin became almost feral and savage. "...Magic created specifically for one singular purpose; to kill dragons... It can only be bestowed upon another by a dragon..." he growled. "That, paired with the completed Crystal Lance Cannon..." His body was engulfed in a thick black haze of magic as his murderous intent rose; obscuring him from sight almost completely. Luna's magic flared as a host of ethereal swords began materializing around her, levitating at the ready. "...Would have the capabilities to obliterate Blood Dust from the face of this world!" Luna fired her swords at him, only to be stopped dead by a slab of black crystal and sent flying back at her. The princess flew up in the air to dodge.

Celestia watched thoughtfully, taking in Sombra's words. why hadn't Luna ever mentioned this before? could there be something in these events that brought her fear or shame? This projection was answering their original questions, but raising new ones. "...combining his strange magic with a plan to...weaponize the Crystal Heart..." the very idea of a sacred relic of purity being defiled in such a way left her stomach in a knot.

Sombra was surrounded by a torrent of baal fire. "If you stand in my way, then you will DIE!!" he bellowed as a familiar spell circle appeared at his hooves. "BAAL DRAGON HELL SIGHT!!" his entire body transformed into a roaring wall of Baal fire and crashed into Luna who was recklessly charging into it, bursting through the other side; seemingly unscathed.

Luna, however, was not unscathed as her eyes were glossed over with a green and purple haze. a look of horror on her face.

"...Watch closely now..." Luna instructed the ponies watching her illusion. "...For this is how Nightmare Moon truely came to be..."

Sombra reverted back to his unicorn form and slowly trotted towards Luna. "...You will be tormented by your greatest fears..." he said with a blood chilling calm air about him. "...and all the while, I'll be feeding off of your despair...your fear...your hatred." he now stood looming over her. "...You know, it really is a pity. I've always thought your nights were beautiful works of art that were shamefully unappreciated..." his heavy gauntleted hoof pressed down on her neck. "I would have made you my queen...but now..." he lowered his face to hers. "...Now you will watch as your whole kingdom crumbles to a wasteland..." a little closer. "...and everypony you love reduced to charred bone and ash..." He pressed his lips against hers.

Sunset shuddered as she watched. "Am I the only one who thinks calm and reserved Sombra is scarier then the loud and monstrous Sombra...?" she whispered.

Rarity who had been next to her shuffled her hooves uncomfortably before replying. "...I most definitely agree, darling..." she whispered back.

This uncomfortable tension hung over the room until they noticed Luna's coat slowly turn pitch black. This didn't escape Sombra's notice as he slowly backed away; not in fear, but with a look of intrigued curiosity on his face. a devious smirk tugged at his lips as Luna's mane and tail shifted from its graceful, flowing night sky motif to a pyre of ghastly blue fire. "...What have we here...?"

Luna laughed malevolently as she slowly got back to her hooves. "Hehehehehahahahahaha!". Her eyes snapped open to reveal the blue dragon like eyes that Nightmare Moon would become famous for. "...No..." she hissed as her original appearance seemed to flicker back for a moment, only for her new form to return. "It is you who will see your kingdom crumble to ash..." her body flickered a couple more times. "...It is YOU who will lose everything you've ever fought for..." her eyes shone with an intense white glow as her original for flickered back, this time to stay, and she launched Sombra into a wall at the far end of the chamber.

Luna had been about to fire another blast when a brilliant light shot passed her, blasting Sombra through the wall and out into the frozen wastes outside the city. "THIS ENDS HERE, SOMBRA!" Celestia roared, flying out after him.

"Sister!" Luna cheered as she followed her sister out.

"Ready your elements Luna. This has gone on long enough!" Celestia called levitating the elements of harmony out of her armor, tossing the elements of Loyalty, honesty, and Generosity to Luna.

Their bodies were enveloped in the familiar brilliant rainbow light of the elements of harmony, and it burned away at Somba intensely. Cracks raked across his body like bolts of lightning...like his body weren't even flesh and blood, but porcelain or glass. Familiar black smoke and shadowy fumes spewed through them like steam. Her halberd once again in her own grasp, Celestia launched it passed Sombra into the frozen ground, causing a large fissure that seemed to go down for miles. "...Rot in your new tomb, Sombra..." Luna said coldly.

"CHAINS OF TARTARUS!!" Sombra's voice boomed as large chains that seems to be made of solidified shadow shot out of him, tethering him to the two princesses as well as countless shooting out passed them to the city. "I'm Taking all of you with me, HAHAHAHA!!!!" he laughed like a lunatic even as the light of the elements pushed him down into the fissure, slowly dragging Luna and Celestia down with him.

At least...that was his plan...

The glow around the royal sisters intensified and the shackles bound to them shattered into shards of black crystal, but the other chains remained. As the fissure magically sealed shut, the sisters and everyone watching Luna's projection watched in morbid fascination as the Crystal Empire crackled with dark energy before the entire city started sinking into the ground. Everything shimmered and rippled around them as the Crystal Empire faded back to Twilight's throne room.

With a heavy sigh, Luna turned back to the others. "After that, I spent three years trying to dig up anything on Blood Dust I could find, and I came up with nothing but this..." she said conjuring another illusion; this time it was an image that resembled a stained glass window much like those in the Canterlot castle. It portrayed a shadowy black Alicorn with a gnarled horn, solid red eyes and tattered wings. his entire body seemed drenched in blood that dripped off of him. His mane and tail were portrayed as nigtmareish geysers of blood that floated unaturally about him.

Celestia remained silent for a moment. "So, that's why you had locked yourself away for all that time..." Celestia concluded. "...You were trying to see if there was any truth to Sombra's words."

Luna, unable to meet her sister's unreadable gaze, nodded, staring at her front hooves. "...Yes, Sister..."

Celestia was hurt; Sunset could see it clearly, but didn't say anything. Celestia put a hoof on Luna's shoulder. "...All this time... why did you never say anything?" she asked.

Luna hesitated. her eyes darting everywhere except Celestia. "...I didn't find it untill after my return from banishment." she said in desperation.

Celestia's eyes narrowed. "Luna..." she chided in a warning tone.

"Because I was afraid. I still am!" Luna cried. "The notion that a being more powerful, more cruel and more brutal than Tirek could be out there terrifies me!" there were tears in her eyes now. "For all I knew, we could have very well doomed all of Equestria to fall to this 'Blood Dust' when we defeated Sombra. I spent those three years being wracked with guilt and fear that we'd doomed our kingdom..." she was crying now. "...and Sombra's magic...it somehow fed off that fear; just as Sombra said..." Luna glared at the ground. "...Besides, You were so busy basking in the lime light of that "victory" in Canterot that I could rarely get the time of day from you."

Everyone in the room Gasped at Luna's words except Celestia, who just sighed. Luna covered her mouth with a hoof. "I'm sorry!" she whimpered.

Celestia pulled luna into a gentle hug. "Yes. I was inattentive and negligent. I'm just sorry that you felt that you had to suffer through that alone..."

They sat in silence for a short time before the door swung open revealing Rainbow Dash and Zecora. A small chest strapped to Zecora's Saddle bags, seemingly in the middle of their own conversation. Their arrival drew everyone's attention to the door. "...Know that I agree. This news of the amulet greatly troubles me." Zecora said, concern in her voice. The zebra looked across the room and blinked in surprise. "This speaks volumes of the duress, for you to involve the sisters Princess."

"That's right." Lightning Dust affirmed. "This is a monster so terrible that even Tirek would probably fear him."

"Apparently, only a specialized dragon magic can defeat him." Trixie added.

Zecora regarded Trixie and gave a gracious nod. "I see you've returned to our town. Is it redemption you seek, or renown?"

Trixie merely nodded towards the small box. "...closure..." Zecora nodded; a look of understanding on her face. "...I get rid of that thing, and I can get on with my life."

Zecora returned her gaze to Twilight. "I shall help however I can. I assume you have some sort of plan?"

Twilight smiled and nodded. "We do."

Author's Note:

so that's chapter 2! having only read Sombra's hasbro backstory yesterday, my story will conflict with it, as I came up with this idea long before ever reading FIENDship is magic. the big battle with sombra was based off the "Fall of the Crystal Empire" animation, but with my own little twists included :twilightblush:. In the next chapter they will begin the ritual to get rid of the alicorn amulet, but, if you read the description, things arent going to go as planned. but that's for next chapter! I'll see you guys later!:raritywink:

Corrupted Champion, out.:unsuresweetie: