• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 2,056 Views, 23 Comments

I Always win - Jade Crossroads



Discord has made a deal with Celestia, or rather the other way around, If Discord can refrain from falling for the sweet mare Fluttershy, then she will not stand in his way. He already has everything, and they can't stop him, so... why not?

  • ...
13
 23
 2,056

The scheme of things: part 1

Chapter 4 part1:The scheme of things

It had been a calm, quiet morning for Fluttershy. The very first rays of sunrise shone brightly through the sheer curtains. She yawned contentedly as she rose from her pleasant slumber.

The bright new dawn set her cheerfulness alight as it always would. there was just something about starting anew day and being able to enjoy and appreciate all it had to offer. It was just as pinkie, her eccentric friend always said ‘put your best hoof forward and Par-tyyyy!’. Fluttershy only ever smiled and nodded as she accepted her friend's advice, however, she wasn’t sure she should throw herself out their, rather she should allow herself to fully embrace everyday for what it was. mornings like this one however, Fluttershy pushed aside the curtain of pink hair she retreated to when she got too nervous or shy to show her face. It was days like today that Fluttershy felt like she could dance and sing among the highest clouds in cloudsdale! The tentative yellow pegasus had always been more confident in a familiar and setting, even more so within the warmth of her little cottage.

But then just the thought of doing such a thing got to her, and she let her hair fall again. Or maybe I could just stay here on the ground where it’s safe, and quietly hum.

She shook off her silliness and chided herself again. Oh Fluttershy, when will you see you have to be braver than this?

It might have bothered her more, her lack of courage, but it was going to be a bright sunny dawn today she knew, and she wouldn’t see it ruined with a simple fact she had resigned to years ago. It wouldn’t stop her from trying to follow her freinds’ advice, but she was certain she would always remain the shy mare everypony saw her as.

She looked over to the white bunny at the foot of her bed. He was sleeping so soundly Fluttershy was considering letting him sleep in, but she knew it wouldn’t do to allow him to miss his early breakfast. Not that he’d mind that, until he realized he’d have a later lunch. With this in mind Fluttershy shook Angel awake. As usual it took a bit of persuasion, but he got up eventually.

They were downstairs now, both mare and bunny, not ten minutes later when Angel began to demand his breakfast. Fluttershy only shook her head and laughed as she tried to appease his stubbornness. He never seemed satisfied with plain old carrots for breakfast, unless she didn’t have many around the cottage that is.

It wasn’t until she stepped outside, the loyal angel bunny hopping behind her that she thought back to the dream she had had recently. It had been wonderful. She had dreamed just before waking, about the fateful day she had received her cutie mark and how she had come to fully embrace her special talent for caring for animals. That had been years ago.

Yet she couldn’t stop thinking about it every once in awhile, she had been very lucky that day. Because of the events of that day she had several cute and cuddly animal friends, strong friendships with all five of the now inseparable elements of harmony, and she could do something she loved everyday. Though tending to her animals had become routine, it was far from ever being a chore! She loved each and every creature equally, though angel bunny had been there since the beginning, and held a special place in her heart, they were all her friends and very special to her heart. It was her duty to care for them all, but that’s not why she did it, she did it because she loved spreading kindness and treating others with care and consideration.

Although, this morning it was difficult for her to take Angel bunny very seriously. He tended to be a bit mischievous at times, and everytime she payed him heed, she could make no sense of what he was trying to convey.

"Oh Angel, really now. What is it you silly bunny?" Fluttershy asked as her little rabbit friend hid behind her foreleg.

He had gesturing for her to look up, but when she obliged all she could see was the great oak at the side of the cottage.

Can't you see it?! He seemed to ask. Fluttershy was sorry to admit that she didn’t, so she tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, he wouldn’t be frightened over nothing. Unfortunately this started worrying her… she couldn’t remember many times when Angel was scared of anything.

"Oh, is there something in the trees? I haven't seen or heard anything move, except for the hens maybe." The pegasus giggles. She continued watering her parched flowers, and tried to shake off the small voice that was screaming in her ear. She wouldn’t be afraid, there was nothing that could possibly go wrong during such a lovely sunrise. But the white bunny rabbit became more insistent, desperate for her attention.

Fluttershy took one last look at the overhanging boughs he frantically gestured toward. Besides the branches overflowing with colorful foliage she could find nothing particularly remarkable about it. Fluttershy was about to point this out, when she finally managed see it. At least, she could have sworn she had seen something.....

For no more than a split second, the air seemed to gather and shift around something, or someone among the branches, before rendering them invisible again.

"D-do you think it could be something d-d- dare I say it? Dangerous?" the timid pegasus squeaked. Fluttershy stood fast in her fearful paralysis, unable to tear herself away from the cries or lending a hoof to a pony in trouble. Not for the first time she felt powerless. If only she could be strong like AppleJack, or bold like Rainbow Dash, then maybe she could take action and do something more than stand there dumbly.

“He-hello? Anypony there?” Fluttershy fought hard for those words to sound sure and helpful, but they seemed to her as though they dripped with the terror and indecision that gripped her.

it wasn’t until that moment that the pegasus realized that no birds sang that morning, no animals besides her chickens had made any level of ruckus. She had thought it too early, and tried to shrug it off, and then she had ignored everything, without knowing she had. She hadn’t realized how nothing seemed to stir. The silence was undisturbed, and quite possibly could have been all morning. How could she have let this go unnoticed?

She called out again, though quieter this time “Is.. Is any-p-pony out here?”

More silence was the only thing to follow her nearly inaudible question. Fluttershy shut her eyes tight, and realizing her legs no longer felt bound to the spot, she began to cower and slip slowly and quietly back to the door of her cottage. Something was very wrong, and she didn’t want to be a part of it.

suddenly within the stillness the tree’s limb finally moved, but it could have just been due to the sudden gust of wind she had felt, at least she hoped so. It couldn't have been anything lurking in the shadows. That was just her paranoia talking….right?

The stirring of the boughs still elicited a surprised jump from the mare despite her reassurances. She ran back in the direction of her cottage it was better to be safe than sorry. And in Fluttershy’s case, she would much rather be safe within the secure walls of her home.

"Oh dear!" Fluttershy cried. She was nearly there when she turned her head to confirm her fears. There was something in the trees, something with a dragon's tail! Oh no, oh dear me! She whimpered as she strained to reach her door before-