• Published 27th Jul 2015
  • 5,790 Views, 595 Comments

The Many Clones Of Twilight Sparkle - naturalbornderpy



Twilight Sparkle has made a number of homemade clones to act as her while out with her friends. If only she weren't so absolutely terrible at making clones.

  • ...
21
 595
 5,790

Bearded Sparkle

Nega Sparkle exited from the first floor of the building she’d been thrown through, brushing off bits of debris from her shoulders before glaring down at Sparkle Sparkle. The moment she could, Sparkle Sparkle shot out a beam from her horn that pierced through Nega’s chest and out the other side, obliterating another section of the ruined house behind her. Nega ignored her melting chest and snapped iron chains around Sparkle Sparkle’s legs, keeping her close to the ground. Nega lifted one foreleg up and stretched it out twenty feet, thinning it until it was as thin as blade. She turned and slashed at the base of the house behind her, effortlessly slicing through it like butter. The house rumbled as it caved inward and toppled over, bits of brick and glass pelting the street.

Sparkle Sparkle shot out another beam to the chains around her legs, but the crumbling house had already cast a shadow over her. Before it leveled the filly, she sealed herself in a yellow shield. When the demolished house settled, she shot out through the rubble and back into the air.

As much as Applejack wanted to continue to watch the battle of titans across the street, she had her own threats to occupy her time. Near the end of the street was a small army of floating hard-to-see ghosts, wrapped in tattered purple cloths and with bones for limbs. Surrounding them were fifty or so Twilight fillies corralling them and standing on each other’s backs to better aim their horns. Led by Heart Attack Sparkle, the fillies attempted to encircle the apparitions and force them into an empty house that they could temporarily contain with a shield.

Or that was what she heard the plan was, at least.

Applejack ducked as a red-shirted clone was ejected from the battlefield and thrown through an orange cart. She looked up and held her breath as the five heads of the purple hydra towering above spotted her and snarled. She turned to her side and found Apple Sparkle looking at her.

“Apple apples?” she suggested.

Applejack nodded, before she tossed Apple Sparkle her extra lasso and whistled for Rainbow Dash and Speedy Sparkle to come pick them up. Keeping the hydra’s heads occupied, both pegasi circled the mammoth creature while giving it a wide birth—every kick or punch carefully timed and controlled. The hydra managed to nip on one of Speedy Sparkle’s wings while she soared by, thankfully only losing a few feathers in the skirmish.

Rainbow Dash landed for less than a second and Applejack leapt onto her back, mouth clamped around her lasso. They shot upwards and one of the hydra’s heads lunged for them, missing them by a good few feet. Applejack coughed out her lasso and waited until it lunged again. When it did, she threw it around its jaws and knotted it. Still gripping the rope, she leapt off Rainbow Dash’s back and managed to pull the hydra’s head down with her. Using whatever slack she could, she hurriedly tied the rope to something she hoped wouldn’t give way—namely, the copper statue in the center of town.

With Apple Sparkle on her back, Speedy Sparkle did much the same as Rainbow Dash had, circling the remaining hydra heads before angering one enough to attack. Once that head left the safety of the others, Apple Sparkle wrapped it up with her lasso and tied it to the same statue on the ground. Noticing their strategy, the hydra pulled its body away sharply, only for the statue to hold and for their torso to come crashing to the ground. Once there, another dozen clones took to finishing it off, including a Sparkle ten feet tall and ripped with muscle.

“Oh, yeah! Punching things!” she yelled, before she indeed started punching things.

Once Apple Sparkle was safe again and by her side, Applejack gave her a friendly shot in the shoulder. “Nice plan, Apple Sparkle.”

Her marefriend nodded. “Apples.”

“I knew you’d say that.”

A scream from ahead pulled at their attention. Paintbrush Sparkle’s easel and paint supplies had been thrown to the ground as another Sparkle clone tackled her to the ground. Another clone jumped on top of the pair and tried to grab at every inch of Paintbrush. The two clones mumbled out “cuddle” and “snuggle” on a continuous loop.

Applejack sighed and wrung her hat. “Darn it! I thought those two were locked up! What the hay?”

Two figures descended to stand beside her. Luna, clad in sparkling armor, told her, “It appears that Nega has released everyone she thought could be of use, including those two.”

Luna Sparkle put a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder. “I would not fear them, Applejack. You have bigger worries to contend with. We will deal with these two quickly and return to the fight posthaste.”

Applejack gulped. “What ‘bigger worries’ do you mean?”

Luna Sparkle motioned up the street, where a twelve foot tall bipedal monster shook the earth with every step it took. Its back legs were those of a goat, while its upper-half was half equine and half whatever High School Sparkle was. More of those creepy fingers that made Applejack uneasy.

“Fine,” she muttered, before her and Apple Sparkle charged headfirst towards it.

***

Fluttershy tried to hush the sniffling filly in her grasp, carefully placing a Princess Celestia band-aid on the scrape she’d received in battle. To try and make her feel better, she kissed her injury and gave them a smile. The filly ran a hoof under her nose and smiled back, before charging back out into the fray.

A shadow fell atop Fluttershy and she turned. Standing over her was a tall, thin creature that resembled a bird crossed with a pony. It had wings and greasy hair down to its shoulders. At the end of its wings were claws that must’ve been used as hands. Jutting out from its mop of hair was a bird beak, sharp and jagged by its tip.

It slashed at the air in front of Fluttershy, seemingly uncaring it they found their mark. The second slash was halted by a purple shield erected just in time. The bird thing glared at its claws, now chipped and broken from the hit.

Fluttershy was shoved backwards by an unseen force and Trevor Sparkle took her place, staring down the tall monster. He turned to Fluttershy. “You all right?”

She nodded, visible shaking from the fright. Her eyes widened and she tried to speak.

The bird thing struck Trevor’s shield again, but this time passed through. He felt claws rake across his chest and avoided the worst of it by leaping back. Four thin and bloody lines crossed his chest.

He took another step back to buy him some time, but fell to the ground once he tripped over Fluttershy. Laying down next to her, he looked up as the creature prepared to slash again… only to stop the moment their wing was raised.

It seemed to be thinking about something… or hearing something only it could.

It lowered its wing and turned, searching for another victim to prey upon. Trevor took the opportunity given and collected Fluttershy off the ground. Before he could speak, she slapped four more Celestia band-aids atop his cuts. “What was that all about?” she asked him.

He frowned. “I have no idea, but somehow not being sliced to death just now made me even more worried than before.”

***

From a distance away, Applejack watched as Nega Sparkle shot out an elongated leg and hooked in the small Crusader Sparkle while her back was turned. Before anyone could get to her, Nega pulled a bendable straw out of thin air and literally drank away Crusader Sparkle’s book-trio cutie mark. A moment later, a bolt of pure energy passed through Nega’s chest and impacted the dirt on the other side. Sparkle Sparkle powered down her horn and shook her shoulders of the excess goo, before she teleported Crusader Sparkle back to the group of fillies.

As the wound in her chest sealed up, Nega sighed. “You again?”

Sparkle Sparkle stuck her tongue out at her.

Clear the way!” someone shouted overhead.

Applejack glanced up in time to find Iron Sparkle in full form. The same type of metal instruments she’d had wrapped around her hooves previously had now spread out to the rest of her. A tight-fitting helmet completed her suit, with glowing yellow slits for eyes.

Sparkle Sparkle ran for cover as Nega looked up in annoyance. Iron Sparkle pointed a leg at her and shot out a half-dozen glowing orbs that struck the ground next to Nega before exploding six feet in every direction.

The first blast cut a perfect half-circle into Nega’s foreleg and head. Still she kept coming.

The second blast disintegrated her lower-half and she was forced to walk on what legs remained to her, performing a creepy type of hoofstand. With all remaining hooves busy, she used her horn to form a lion’s paw and snapped.

Applejack noticed what she had in mind before Iron Sparkle did. “Iron Sparkle! Above you!”

Iron Sparkle looked up and zoomed away in search of cover as a bathtub full of cement sailed by her head. Another laundry list of heavy items followed, each trying to crush the metallic Sparkle underneath. The last item to drop clipped one of her metal-covered wings and caused her to barrel roll in the air. Almost fully formed again, Nega took the opportunity and hit her with a hoof that shoved her through a house and out the other side.

Watching Iron Sparkle come crashing onto the steps of Town Hall, Applejack didn’t notice Apple Sparkle standing right next to her. “Now where have you been?” she asked tiredly.

Apple Sparkle cocked her head. “Apples?”

Applejack gave her a hug. “Awe shucks. I’m just glad you’re all—”

The pony she latched onto erupted into green flames. What stood before her now was a pony of white.

“Are you starting to understand why you can’t win this?” Nega Sparkle softly spoke.

“Where’s Apple Sparkle!” Applejack roared.

“She’s fine. I really don’t know where she is. This was only a test. If Sparkle Sparkle really is what your laying all your hopes on, then what will you do once she falls? I can assume the likeness of everyone you hold dear, so do you think you’ll ever truly feel safe? Give up, Applejack. Give it all up. Tell the clones to stand down. Tell them to submit to me and to Dark Sparkle and… perhaps Dark Sparkle will see it in her heart to keep you and your friends around. Not your marefriends, of course.”

Applejack spat in her face. “I’d never hoof over Apple Sparkle to you.”

Nega absorbed the spit on her cheek and smiled. “Love. I taste it. I can’t wait to suck out every last drop of love from Apple Sparkle… and then you, once Dark Sparkle grows tired of tormenting you and your friends.”

Applejack had grown tired of talking with crazy ponies. “Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Sparkle.”

“Sparkle who?”

“Sparkle Sparkle.”

Nega frowned. “I don’t get it.”

That was when Sparkle Sparkle sliced into Nega’s back horn-first and tunneled inside of her. A split-second later, Sparkle Sparkle wrapped herself in a shield that expanded rapidly, showering Applejack and all those nearby with bits of Nega goo. Already those bits were pooling back together.

Sparkle Sparkle angrily glared at her mucky hoof. “I HATE BEING STICKY!”

Applejack patted her head. “Then I promise once this is all over, you can have a nice hot bubble bath as long as you want. I’ll even read to you.”

“AND COOKIES!”

“Sure. And cookies. Why not?”

“AND RUBBER DUCKIES TO MAKE SPLASHY SPLASH!”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Fine. Just as long as you keep Nega busy. We gotta figure something out soon or—”

“Apple!”

She turned and found Apple Sparkle again, panting and with another clone by her side. Applejack checked to make sure Nega was still busy reforming before embracing her. She turned to the clone by her side, one identical to the rest besides a long grey beard and wizard hat.

“Apples apple!” Apple Sparkle informed her.

“You’re saying she knows how to deal with Nega?”

“Apple ap-apples!”

“And you’re sure about this?”

“Ap-a-apapa-apples! Apple-ap-a-a-a-a-a-apple!”

“Okay. Hold on a second. You’re starting to apple-stutter. Let me talk to her.” She turned to the bearded clone. “What the hay’s she trying to tell me?”

The clone cleared her throat. “That you’re going about this the wrong way. No matter what you throw at Nega—Sparkle Sparkle, Iron Sparkle, all those clones combined—she’ll just continue to get back up and wear then out until she devours them. That’s what she was created for: to be nearly defeated time and again and still continue to live. You need to think back where she began her quest for clone blood, back where she was created.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

The clone pulled on her beard. “She was made in the depths of Dark Sparkle’s lair. Only there can she be unmade.”

Applejack nodded a single time. “I’d call you a cuckoo bird, but I have a feeling you might be on to something. All Sparkle Sparkle and Iron Sparkle have been able to do so far is annoy her at best, and it’s hard to tell how much longer they’ll be able to go at it. Maybe just enough time for us to figure this all out.”

The bearded clone straightened out her hat. “Then I’ll be off. I have a dragon to slay.”

“A what?” That was when Applejack saw the two-story purple-and-blue dragon spewing fire down the street, blackening the first four buildings on either side. Janitor Sparkle encircled its head and shot her own fireballs at its eyes, to little effect.

The dragon took a step closer to where Applejack stood when Bearded Sparkle made a stand. “You! Shall not!” she yelled, before thinking for a moment. She shrugged. “Get through me or something similar to that effect!

Regretfully, Applejack had to turn away from the scene and pry Apple Sparkle away from a herd of insect-like Sparkle clones with sharp pincers for hooves.

“Apples?” she asked as she was carried away.

Applejack told her, “We got a game plan. Sort of. But first we need to find a clone.”

***

Accident Prone Sparkle sighed as she looked out the window. Clones and monsters clashed not a dozen feet from the castle’s windows and she felt utterly useless. Sure, she could go out there and try and shove a monster away or punch it in the gut, but again and again she had to remind herself that something like that was most likely to get her killed. She wasn’t a fighter. She wasn’t a powerful magician. She was a thinker, and if saying that was a stretch.

She was basically Twilight Sparkle with a learning disability. If she concentrated on something enough, she could master it within minutes, improve upon its design and upgrade it to her heart’s content. But that was only if she had it in focus. And keeping things in focus was the hard part.

Her mind wondered and slipped. Same with her eyes. For every ten minutes of pure concentration, she spent the rest of the hour trying her best to remember what she’d been doing—trying desperately to get back to that blissful place known as perfect awareness. Maybe when Twilight was finally found, she could do something to help her. Even a pair of glasses that could help her eyes would be a welcome change.

Again Accident Prone sighed, then yelped as Twilight Sparkle and Spike walked through the front doors.

Spike’s eyes found hers. “What’s going on out there? And what’s with all the clones?”

He didn’t sound as alarmed as she thought he might. Nor did Twilight.

“That looks bothersome,” Twilight commented indifferently. On her head was a sports hat and around her chest was a t-shirt stating: “Visit again anytime!” The saddlebag on her back appeared on the verge of ripping open, a dozen knickknacks and miniature snow globes visible through the tears in the fabric.

Twilight brightened when she thought of something. “Want to see our vacation pictures? I could set up a slideshow in the living room, should only take eight hours or so to go through them all. We just took so many pictures in the Griffon Empire! And bought so many souvenirs!”

Accident Prone became tempted to slap her. “You went on vacation? When all hell was breaking loose? What’s wrong with you? And now that you’re back, you want to look at pictures?”

Twilight stared at her blankly. “Why not? It was a great vacation. Right, Spike?” She knelt down and rubbed noses with the dragon. “Why you’re so cute I could just eat you up!”

Spike blushed and then blushed harder by Accident Prone’s venomous stare. He coughed awkwardly into a claw. “Well, we didn’t think something like this was going to happen. We were only gone for… what? A week? We can’t have a single week off without something terrible happening in Ponyville?”

Accident Prone could tell he was trying to sidetrack things.

She shook her head, scrambling her eyes in the process. “That’s not Twilight Sparkle at all, is it?”

Spike chuckled. “What? Of course she is! She’s purple, and smart, and… purple….” His sentence quickly died. He hissed at her, “Okay, so maybe she’s technically not Twilight. So what? What gave it away?”

Accident Prone glanced to the living room where Twilight was setting up a projector and adorning the fireplace mantle with Griffon Empire bobble heads. She looked at Spike again. “Everything?”

Spike angrily snorted out a batch of flames. “Fine! She’s Vacation Sparkle! She loves to travel and she’s super nice. And when she was looking for someone to travel with, I said I would go. And then we… sort of….”

“Fell in love?”

“Yeah. Kind of.” He rubbed at an arm. “I mean, I knew I didn’t have much chance with Twilight Twilight, so why not have a relationship with the closest thing, if not better? At least Travel Sparkle makes time for me and isn’t always reading or studying. We have fun and explore, and yes the constant souvenirs and pictures are annoying, but it’s something I’m willing to put up with. You have no idea how many postcards I sent out during our trip. My tongue has so many paper cuts right now.”

Accident Prone shook her head. “Sorry. Don’t care. You should’ve told someone you were leaving. We’ve been on the lookout for Twilight and you for days—hoping that once we found you both, we’d be able to end all this insanity.”

Finally, Spike’s momentary joy gave way. “What? What do you mean you can’t find Twilight? I spoke to her right before Travel Sparkle and I left. She said it was fine! She said not to bother telling anyone before we left!”

A lump of something cold wedged its way into Accident Prone’s gut. “I have a feeling that might not have been Twilight telling you that, then.”

Spike was about to say more, but the castle doors were pushed inward and Applejack and Apple Sparkle entered to greet them.

“Hey, Spike,” Applejack said quickly.

“Hey.”

“I’ll hear your story later, but right now we gotta grab this mare and beat it on outta here.” She hooked a leg around Accident Prone and pulled on her.

“Me? You want me?” Accident Prone stuttered out. “I’m… not very good at the whole fighting thing.”

“That’s fine. We need your brains right now. You just might be the one pony that can finish off Nega for good.” She paused. “No pressure now.”

Accident Prone whimpered from the job at hoof and let herself get dragged from the castle.

***

Accident Prone and company dodged and ducked their way through the battle. Dozens of Twilights ran up and down the streets, climbing on monsters and creatures and striking them until they went down. Some of the creatures had wings and horns and claws, while some were more similar to normal looking clones, only engineered towards mayhem and destruction. One evil clone had had their hooves replaced with different parts of a multi-tool: a serrated blade, a pizza cutter, a cork remover, an ice pick. It wouldn’t have been nearly as intimidating if their sharp instruments weren’t all two feet in length and spinning as fast as saw blades.

Janitor Sparkle took the brunt of this clone in particular, her hardened scales clipping its blades while sparks rained down on them. After she’d worn down the instruments on its forelegs, she grabbed hold of the clone’s head and locked her jaws around its, shooting fire down its throat and quickly turning it into a burnt husk.

Accident Prone wanted to feel bad for the creature. Did feel bad, actually. But not once did she see one of the creations cry out in pain or in fear. They’d been brought to life for a single purpose, to hurt and to kill. Death or pain didn’t matter to them, it seemed.

During their trek towards a safer part of town, Applejack filled her in on their plan… or the outlines of it. A bit piece was still up in the air.

“You still need to find Dark Sparkle’s lair,” Accident Prone spoke while running.

Applejack nodded. “We know. We’ll just go back to that creepy old mansion from before. I just gotta remember where—”

“She won’t be there. Or I doubt it. If she wanted to remain hidden, she would’ve set up operations somewhere new. We need to find out where.”

Applejack stomped a hoof. “Darn it all! How we supposed to do that? I don’t think I’ve heard one of these monster thingies say a single word in total, so I doubt they’d be the ones to tell us. So where does that leave us? Kicking in every door in town? What happens if she set herself up on a mountaintop or something?”

Applejack fumed, until Apple Sparkle poked her. “Apple?”

Applejack looked up. “Really? Here?”

All three of them turned and found a lone figure that stuck out above the rest. The whole street was a sea of purple and shades thereof. In the thick of it stood a single black and purple clone, her hard insect shell pressed close to the ground. The moment one of the clones on the good guy’s side passed her by, Changey would quietly follow them around before shoving them and running back to her hiding place. That was about the extent of her contribution to the fight.

“Changey?” Applejack snarled. “You little jerk! Get over here!”

Changey caught sight of her and squeaked, taking the form of a Twilight clone and scampering away. To keep track of her, Applejack stopped blinking and got her rope out without looking. One lasso toss later and a bound Changey was promptly dragged back to them.

Applejack stood over her and glared. “Still fighting for the bad guys, huh, Changey?”

Changey wouldn’t drop the Twilight guise. “Who is this Changey you speak of? I fight for pro-Equestria team. Go Equestria, yes? Celestia number one! Dark Sparkle, boo! Yes? Comrades, can we not settle this misunderstanding with pudding cups and some kissy-bottle-shenanigans?”

Accident Prone looked at Applejack. “I think she means spin the bottle.”

“I got what she meant,” Applejack answered, her eyes still locked on Changey. “Drop the act before we start tickling you again. And by tickling, I mean punching you in the gut. I’ve had it up to here with annoying clones, you hear me?”

Changey’s body sagged and she revealed her true form. She turned away from Applejack as her eyes watered. “Please. I don’t want to be on the bad side, but… Dark Sparkle made me. I don’t even know how to fight. I just push ponies over and run away, honest! I’ll… I’ll go away now. I promise.”

Applejack shook her head. “No, I’m afraid that applecart’s already rolled down the hill and got mashed into applesauce. Now we actually need you, Changey. Quite bad, as a matter of fact. You say you still work for Dark Sparkle?”

Changey sniffled and nodded. “Yeah….”

“Then whether you like it or not you’re gonna lead us right to her.”

Author's Note:

Next part will be the last. Thankfully. I have some time off, so I'm aiming to get the last part out tomorrow just to be done with this oddity. Then again, I'm a lazy ass who bought Fallout 4 yesterday due to outward social pressures, so we'll see what happens.

Will your favorite clone make it until the end? Which clone will wind up with who? Could this story possibly get anymore meta? Should this have remained as an innocent little one-shot before spiraling out of control? Tune in tomorrow! Same clone time! Same clone channel! :facehoof: