• Published 20th Aug 2015
  • 2,400 Views, 27 Comments

Appleback Mountain - Sky McFly



Applejack and Rainbow Dash go camping.

  • ...
15
 27
 2,400

Four

Rainbow Dash loved the sun.

Before becoming a Wonderbolt, she had held a particular passion for her job as a weather pony. There was almost nothing she liked more than clearing the skies, leaving an expanse of blue, full of nothing but the warmth of sunshine to bask in while she flew.

But today, for the first time, she was not happy to see the yellow rays of light as they crept in through the venetian blinds in the motel room she had shared with Applejack the previous night. To Rainbow Dash the light of the rising sun used to mean freedom and the dawn of a new day of endless possibilities. Now it meant that the wonderful night she had spent with Applejack was about to come to an end. She loved being a Wonderbolt, but not a single day had passed since leaving for the tour that she had felt as happy as she had upon seeing Applejack for the first time in over a year.

“Thought ya weren’t comin’ back,” Applejack mumbled from the pillow next to her. “Figured ya were still sore about that punch.”

Rainbow Dash rolled onto her side so that their noses were an inch apart. “I wanted to come back as soon as I left,” she said. “I kept looking for a chance to visit. I can’t believe it took this long.”

Applejack put her forelegs around Rainbow Dash and pulled her close. “I missed you so much, Rainbow Dash,” she said without letting go.

Eyes closed, Rainbow Dash pressed her forehead against Applejack's and inhaled the familiar scent of apples and fresh soil. “What’re we gonna do, Applejack?” she asked.

“There ain’t nothin’ we can do,” Applejack sighed. “I’m stuck with what I got on the farm.”

Rainbow Dash gazed at Applejack’s downcast green eyes and then, after a long pause, said, “Let’s go back.”

Caramel was sitting by a window with a bottle of the Apple family’s famous hard cider, gazing out at the acres of apple trees but seeing nothing at all, when Applejack burst into the farmhouse and hurriedly began packing her saddlebags.

“Rainbow Dash an’ I are goin’ up into the mountains fer a few days,” she announced. “Gonna have ourselves a li’l camping trip.”

“You know, your friend Rainbow Dash could come in and have some breakfast,” Caramel said, glancing through the window at the blue pegasus waiting outside.

“Nah, she prefers the outdoors,” Applejack replied, tossing her lasso into a saddlebag. “You know how pegasi are.”

“Does Big Macintosh know yer leavin’?” Caramel asked. “It’s almost Applebuck season. We’re gonna need ponies around to help with the harvest.”

“I’m only gonna be gone a few days,” Applejack said dismissively.

Just then Apple Bloom galloped into the room. “Yer leavin’, Sis?” she asked.

"Sure am!" Applejack tousled her sister’s mane and gave Caramel a quick kiss.

“See y’all next week!” she said, then tipped her hat and headed out the door. Rainbow Dash soon matched her pace, and the two ponies galloped off down the road without looking back.

Caramel nuzzled Apple Bloom on the top of her head, and then lifted her onto his shoulders. Turning back to the window, his gaze followed his wife until she and Rainbow Dash disappeared into the distance.

Appleback Mountain was just as they had left it.

A year had passed, but the trees still lay like a deep green blanket over the sloping mountainside. The water still sparkled in the sun, clearer than glass. The rocky peaks still rose up higher than any structure Applejack had ever seen, but still left enough sky that the bright blue expanse seemed to go on forever.

A year had passed, but it was like they had never left. Applejack sat on a log, head resting on Rainbow Dash’s shoulder in the dying light of dusk, and it was here, miles away from Sweet Apple Acres, that she felt safer and more at home than she had in months. The gentle sound of a nearby stream filled the evening air, warmer and more soothing than silence. Every so often they would hear soft snaps and pops from the campfire.

“You know, it could be like this, always,” Rainbow Dash said softly.

“How so?” Applejack asked.

“What if you and I had our own little farm somewhere?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I told you, it ain’t gonna be like that,” Applejack said. “You got yer life flyin’ with the Wonderbolts, and I got my life tendin’ the farm with my family and Caramel.” She glanced at Rainbow Dash and then turned her gaze to the fire. “If you an’ I are together and we let this… this thing take hold of us in the wrong place, at the wrong time… we’re dead.”

Rainbow Dash glanced at Applejack’s furrowed brow.

“There were these two old mares that used to live together on a ranch near Sweet Apple Acres,” Applejack continued. “Tough old birds, Prairie Song and Wildflower. They were the joke of the town.”

She stared into the fire for another long moment.

“Well, anyway, they found Prairie Song dead. A few stallions didn’t take too nicely to two mares livin’ together. Story goes, one night they said they’d make her like stallions like a good mare should. Had their way with her, then left her body to rot in a ditch.”

Rainbow Dash was silent. “You saw this?” she asked finally.

Applejack nodded. “I was barely more’n a foal. My daddy made sure Big Mac an’ I saw it. Almost seemed like he wished he’d-a done it.”

Rainbow Dash swallowed. For a moment the only sounds were the rushing of the stream and the soft pops of the campfire.

“I don’t have a lot of mem’ries of my pa,” Applejack continued. “But for some reason that one really stuck with me.”

She looked up at Rainbow Dash. “Two mares livin’ together?” She shook her head. “No way. We can get together once in a while, way out here in the middle o’ nowhere, but…”

“Once in a while?” Rainbow Dash repeated. “It’s been over a year!”

“Well, if you can’t fix it, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said, “you gotta stand it."

High above, the stars shone brighter and clearer than they did in the skies of Ponyville as the constant, gentle sound of the stream lulled the two ponies to sleep.

With the harvest season over, the trees at Sweet Apple Acres stood bare. The sky was a blank gray from one horizon to the other.

The creak of the screen door broke the dead silence of winter that fell over the farm like a shroud. Caramel approached the door just as Applejack walked in.

“Where were you?” he demanded. “Apple Bloom is late to her class’s Hearth’s Warming Eve play. She’s been waiting for you to take her there for the last half hour!”

“Why couldn’t you or Big Mac take her?” Applejack asked.

“Because I have to work tonight,” Caramel answered. “We both do!”

“Couldn’t ya have asked for the night off?” Applejack asked.

“You know we can’t afford that!” Caramel snapped. “After this year’s harvest, Big Mac’s and my second jobs are the only things putting food on our table! It ain’t my fault we’re the only ponies that do any work around here!”

He threw a scarf around his neck and called back into the farmhouse, “Apple Bloom! Applejack is here to take you to your play!”

He turned back to glare at his wife. “It wouldn’t hurt you to spend less time goin’ into town to drink and more time providing for yer little sister.”

Applejack seethed with anger, but before she could retaliate Apple Bloom bounded into the room, her little legs and head poking out from what looked like an enormous green ball that enveloped the rest of her body.

“Good luck,” Caramel said, kissing Apple Bloom on the forehead, and left.

Applejack turned to look at Apple Bloom and snarled, “What are you supposed to be?”

“A shrub!” Apple Bloom beamed.

Applejack sighed. “Come on, let’s go,” she said, and the two sisters stepped out into the brisk winter air.

Rainbow Dash gazed at the city lights reflected in the Horseshoe Bay. She and Soarin were seated at an outdoor table for two at an oceanfront restaurant following the Wonderbolts’ show in Baltimare. In the distance, the sun sat on the horizon like a plump red apple.

“I’m going to Ponyville for a few days during our week off,” Rainbow Dash told Soarin. “Gonna be okay without me?” She grinned.

Soarin looked up from his chowder to meet Rainbow Dash’s gaze. “You’ve sure been going to Ponyville a lot,” he remarked. “Why can’t your friend Applejack come to any of your shows? You’re doing plenty of traveling already.”

“She can’t take the time off,” Rainbow Dash answered. “They had a rough year on the farm.”

“It just doesn’t seem fair,” Soarin said. “You going back there every other month and her never coming to your shows.” He turned back to his chowder. “I’m just saying.”

Apple Bloom was sound asleep. The farmhouse was silent but for the sound of soft kisses and gentle murmurs coming from the bedroom that Applejack and Caramel shared. It had been weeks since they had last been intimate, and Applejack had almost forgotten the feeling of being held by a stallion’s strong forelegs. She tossed her mane out of her eyes and bent down to kiss Caramel’s neck. Placing her front hooves on his chest, she looked sultrily up at him and lifted her rump into the air, wiggling her hips like a cat about to pounce.

“Wanna make a foal?” she whispered seductively.

“Right now? I ain't so sure that’s a good idea,” Caramel replied softly.

“What? Too many Apples in your life already?” Applejack asked, drawing back.

“I’d have as many foals with you as you want,” Caramel answered, “if you’d only do your part to support them.”

Applejack glared at Caramel for a moment, and then rolled onto her back and stared up at the ceiling. Caramel turned to face away from her and the room was silent as the two ponies fell asleep.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but smile as she flew. The sky was full of sunlight and below her the soft green grass was interspersed with newly blooming flowers. The beautiful spring weather was a perfect reflection of her mood.

She arrived at a rundown shack on the outskirts of Appleloosa and landed without slowing down, continuing at a gallop toward the front door just as Applejack opened the door and stepped out onto the porch.

“Rainbow Dash, what’re you doin’ here?” Applejack exclaimed, surprised. They shared a quick but tight embrace.

“I got your note about the divorce,” Rainbow Dash said. “Sorry to hear Caramel kicked you out of your own house.”

“Yeah.” Applejack glanced at the ground.

“So… here I am,” Rainbow Dash continued. “I had to ask about ten different ponies before I found out you moved to Appleloosa.”

“Uh huh,” Applejack said.

“So, I guess I thought that this meant you and I could...”

Applejack shuffled her hooves. “Rainbow Dash, I don’t know what to say… Apple Bloom’s here to visit for the weekend, and I don’t get ta see her very often anymore.”

“Yeah, all right,” Rainbow Dash said, her smile fading.

“I’m real sorry,” Applejack said, trying to meet Rainbow Dash’s gaze.

“Guess I’ll see you next month then,” Rainbow Dash mumbled. She turned away, and after cantering a few steps, leaped into the air.

A cloud had crossed in front of the sun. Rainbow Dash looked down and saw nothing but sparse brown grass. The sky wasn’t as blue as she remembered it being that morning, and it looked like dark clouds were gathering on the horizon.

The lights dimmed to almost nothing as the Wonderbolts prepared for the show’s finale. Rainbow Dash and the rest of the Wonderbolts climbed higher and higher above the stadium, getting ready for the dive that would conclude the show. Only when she felt the air getting thin did Rainbow Dash stop ascending and turn to face the ground far, far below her. She seemed to hang motionless in the air for a second, and then pointed her nose straight down, held her wings tightly against her sides, and dropped into freefall.

The air whipped past her and the stadium was quickly approaching from below, but not fast enough for Rainbow Dash's taste.

She began to flap her wings.

Glancing to her left, she saw Soarin narrow his green eyes.

Her vision suddenly cloudy, she blinked back tears and flapped harder. The ground grew ever closer as she sped up.

She was now in the lead. The Wonderbolts on either side were falling behind. Soon they would pass the highest rows of the audience.

Rainbow Dash heard a loud boom and could see with her peripheral vision a bright flash of color. The sonic rainboom that usually brought an end to the show had just taken place. The audience erupted with applause, but a hush soon fell over the stadium when they realized that Rainbow Dash was not slowing down.

The Wonderbolts flanking her peeled away and upward, but Rainbow Dash made no change to her trajectory. The grass below her was rising faster and faster.

Finally she felt grass brush the fur of her chest as pulled sharply up. The stadium was dead silent. As she slowly rose, the audience seemed to release a collective sigh of relief. The applause began tentatively, and then slowly grew until all Rainbow Dash could hear was the roar of thousands of ponies cheering and stamping with appreciation.

“I can’t believe you did that!” Soarin exploded when the Wonderbolts had returned to the tunnel that led out to the stadium. “What were you thinking?”

This was the first time that Rainbow Dash had seen Soarin truly angry. “Just wanted to give ‘em a little extra show,” she shrugged.

Soarin scowled. “That’s not it, and you know it,” he snapped. “You could have gotten killed. I know you like putting on a show, but it’s not like you to be so reckless. Something’s up. I know it is.”

“Hey, how about you worry about you and I’ll worry about me?” Rainbow Dash said. “I’m doing fine.”

Soarin looked like he wanted to respond, but before he could, Spitfire called, “Hey Rainbow Dash, want to go out for some drinks?”

“Lead the way!” Rainbow Dash said, leaving Soarin to glare angrily after her as she joined the other Wonderbolts.

It was Hearth’s Warming Eve and Applejack was back at Sweet Apple Acres. It felt like months since she had seen her family. Apple Bloom was getting bigger, and had even received her cutie mark. (Should have known it would have something to do with apples, thought Applejack.) That night at dinner Applejack sat at the same table at which she had eaten since she was a filly, but she had never felt more unwelcome there.

After dinner Applejack went into the kitchen to help Caramel wash dishes while Apple Bloom, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, and Caramel’s new marefriend Golden Harvest relaxed in the living room.

“Need any help?” Applejack asked when she entered the kitchen.

“You ought to get married again, Applejack,” Caramel said after a pause. “We worry about you bein’ alone so much.”

Applejack grunted. “Guess I ain’t found the one yet.”

It was quiet for another moment.

“You still go camping with Rainbow Dash?” Caramel asked, like he had been holding back the question for months.

“Not often,” Applejack replied.

“I know what you’ve been doin’ with her,” Caramel said softly. “I knew since the first day she came to visit. I tried to put it out of my mind, told myself we needed your help on the farm more than I needed a faithful wife. But then you stopped workin’. Spent all yer time up in the mountains or drinkin’ yerself unconscious.”

“You shut yer mouth,” Applejack said.

“You lied to me,” Caramel growled. “You’ve been lyin’ to me fer years, goin’ behind my back! Those trips you go on ain’t about campin’!”

“You don’t know nothin’ ‘bout me an’ Rainbow Dash!” Applejack yelled.

“I know plenty!” Caramel yelled back.

Applejack took a few deep breaths, trying to calm herself. “You tell a single pony, and it’ll be the last thing you ever do.”

Caramel took a couple steps forward until he was eye-to-eye with his ex-wife. “Get out,” he hissed. “GET OUT!”

Applejack ground her teeth in fury and then turned from the room. She charged through the living room without saying goodbye, grabbed her scarf off of the wall and slammed the screen door on her way out into the newly fallen snow.