• Published 25th Jul 2015
  • 3,251 Views, 287 Comments

Changeling See, Changeling D'OH! (Comment-Driven Story) - Kersey475



You are a changeling stranded in the Everfree Forest after the failed assault on Canterlot. What should you do? What shenanigans will ensue? YOU DECIDE!

  • ...
9
 287
 3,251

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: All That Pizzazz (Manehattan Mysteries Arc Part 1)

Calm down and realize that none of the group are after you. However, try to figure out what the police wanted, as well as where the captured Changelings are in order to free them. Oh, and don't get captured doing the latter.

After realizing that both the Element of Generosity and Honesty are here, you decide that really, you shouldn’t have anything to fear from them. Sure you were a jerk to their best friend, but you helped saved the town and all.

Erised the ink-moth comment

"Alright Ritz, calm down." you tell yourself as you finish your cigarette, "If they were really here for me, they'd wouldn't be all dressed up like that. Besides, I did help save the town from Trixie after all so they shouldn't have a reason to come after me in the first place." you rationalize as you toss away the cigarette butt.

Reentering the building through the alley door and heading backstage as you tell yourself,

"Today, you're just Trixie's trusty stage hoof. You'll be out of sight the whole time, working your magic behind the scenes. With any luck Twilight's friends won't even know you're here. No reason to panic." you tell yourself as Trixie and her assistants get ready for the performance. A few cooling breaths and a shuddering exhale later and you get into position. You look down on the stage from atop the scaffolding hidden behind the curtains, and position the spotlights as Trixie's grand introduction concludes.

"Showtime." you mutter to yourself as Trixie bursts onstage in a cloud of smoke not a moment later, much to the shock (and annoyance) of Twilight's friends in the audience.

ONE SHOW LATER

The show goes on better than you could have hoped; when she's not bragging about how great she is or trying to be better than somepony else, Trixie really is an amazing showmare. Although at one point in the show you had to secretly intervene with your Force Pull in order to stop her from falling into a pit of angry bears when her escape rope snapped and again when one of her blindfolded knife throws almost hit the assistant in the eye.

Now we see that she's moving onto the final act: The reappearing pony! You've seen her perform this trick in rehearsal countless times so it's sure to go off without a-

"Behold: The famous Ostlerheimer Diamond!" Trixie introduces.

"What!?" you nearly yell. That wasn't the final act she discussed with you! She was going bring a secret assistant onstage from the audience under the guise of a 'random pony', then make his disappear inside a barrel only to reappear out of her hat. You had the fireworks set up and everything! Instead her assistants are wheeling out some fancy, expensive gem. You'll just have to work the special effects impromptu and trust her to pull off the rest.

Just what the buck is she thinking? you think in concern.

"Trixie will now make the diamond disappear without even touching it..." she announces, "While blindfolded! And tied up suspended upside down by a burning rope..." she adds while her assistants restrain her, "Over a vat of pudding!"

"Oh-kay then. Going a teensy little bit far aren't you?" you mutter to yourself. You understand the need for distractions and slight of hoof, but still. "That's a lot of pudd- *slap* No! Bad reference!"

The audience holds their breath, the tension growing with every second as the candle burns through the rope and sweat drops bead on Trixie's forehead when suddenly,

*snap*

A collective gasp is heard throughout the audience (you're not bothering with the Force Pull since it's just pudding) as Trixie free-falls when she suddenly disappears in a puff of smoke before reappearing safely on stage! The audience cheers and hollers for her!

"Thank you... thank you." she says and takes a bow. "Ah but what of the diamond you ask? Behold! It has vanished!"

The audience gasps again. Honestly you were watching Trixie the whole time, so you're as in the dark as they all are.

"Indeed credulous audience members, for you see." trixie says and removes her hat, "The diamond was in my hat the whole time."

Everypony looks confused at the lack of anything on her head except her mane. From your perspective you can also see that it's not caught inside her hat either.

"I don't get it." calls one random pony from the audience, but Trixie just smirks for some reason...

Suddenly the doors the the performance hall fly open, and a whole bucking platoon of police ponies burst in and surround the place!

"Manehatten Police! Everypony stay where you are." the sergeant orders the shocked and terrified crowd, "We've got a criminal on the loose."

"Oh buck me." you curse under your breath as the police spread out into the audience towards the stage "So not horrorshow."

You're about to dive off the scaffolding and make a break for it when...

Oh crud it's the police. Okay keep calm Ritz and remember you're training. Don't panic repeat don't panic.
Now try to find out what the buck is going on. While making sure you're identity as changeling isn't blown.

BrownDog77 comment

"Calm down 815, just calm down..." you say to yourself as you take some calming breathes, "You've been on enough missions with 9001 to know that panic never helps. Just keep your cool and ask Trixie what the buck is going on."

Putting on your best poker face (which isn't that hard with your red scarf over half your face), you climb off the scaffolding and onto the stage to see the Elements approach a shaking Trixie. In concern you ask,

"Hey Trixie, what's going o-"

"Ah ha ha ha ha ha! Trixie's cunning plan has succeeded!"

"What?!"

Trixie and Chief Stablemaker then proceed to explain that the show was part of "Operation: Caught Red-Hooved" ("Real creative." you snark), a sting aimed at capturing the master thief Rough Diamond (even you heard of Rough Diamond back in the hive as her stealth skills rivaled that of elite changelings (1)) and that the diamond used during the show was a fake with a tracking chip planted on it. As Trixie begins to start looking around the room with the tracking chip spell Apple Bloom recognizes you and cries out,

“Mr. DeWitt!”

“Oh, uh, hey Applebloom,” you say to her nervously while Applejack and Rarity give you the stink eye.

Apple Bloom suddenly becomes solemn and asks you with sad eyes,

“Why didn’t you say goodbye?…”

HRK

The sad pouting face she is giving is too damn heartbreaking to take and your heart tries to lurch out of your chest from the cuteness and guilt.

“I-I’m…” you try to say.

“Me, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo tried to find you, but the others said you blew smoke in Twilight’s face and ran away.”

“I-I’m sorry Applebloom,” you say with your own eyes watering a bit because of the guilt she’s shooting into you.

“I had to get out of town because, SOMEPONIES,” you say with a glare at the two Elements who frown at you, “Didn’t recognize my helpfulness behind the scenes. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings,” you say as you try to comfort her.

She sniffles and looks at you.

“Do you mean that? Ya didn’t run away because ya didn’t like us anymore?”

“Of course not, you guys were my first friends in that town. I’m sorry about bailing, but the situation was… complicated.”

“Indeed little filly, Ritz was put into a delicate position thanks to my… past actions. He did not intend you harm,” Trixie explains, passing by as she scans the first row.

Apple Bloom smiles at that and lunges at you in a hug that knocks you over.

“Alright, I forgive ya,” she says as she hugs you. She then leans into your ear and quickly whispers, “Don’t worry, I kept yer secret about being a you-know-what.”

“Thanks,” you say aloud.

After parting from the hug, Rarity and Applejack still scrutinize you.

“What? She forgives me, and you all forgave Trixie, how come I still get mean looks?”

“Well because you were an unrepentant varmint who blew smoke in Twilight's face!” says Applejack.

“Not to mention gambling with the outcome of that second duel,” adds Rarity.

“Um, if it helps any, Ritz did help to throw me off my groove during that… so that’s something,” says an embarrassed Trixie while she tries not to think of the past.

"He did help Trixie and the whole town after all... even if he did slap Rainbow Dash and blow smoke in Twilight's face... which was rude, but yeah..." defends Fluttershy.

“True… but still,” starts Applejack.

“Hey hey hey, I think you got the story mixed up there." you say indignantly before continuing, "First; I did apologize to Rainbow Dash immediately after slapping her (and as I said before, that was my old training kicking in) and she kicked me in the nards afterwards so we're even. Second; As I explained to Twilight already, I was making sure that the town would be okay regardless of who wins. Classic Xanatos Gambit. Third; Yes, I know Twilight becoming a princess was a huge deal, but judging by the fact that she hasn’t issued a warrant for my head or anything, I think it's safe to assume that she's over the whole smoke thing. Yes it was uncalled for, but I wasn't in the best of moods after all those accusations you ingrates shot at me. Now can we please just move on and figure out this gorram jewelry thing?”

“Eh, I say we give him a chance, Applebloom’s cool with him” says the other filly in a thick Manehattan accent.

"Thank you... filly I don't know."

"Oh, this is my cousin Babs Seed. She lives here in Manehattan and is in charge of this city's branch of the Cutie Mark Crusaders," beams Applebloom.

"Oh really? How's that working out for you kid?"

"Eh, could be better, still gotta deal with bullies and the like, but still, anypony that's cool with Applebloom is cool with me," she smiles.

Applejack continues to give you an untrusting look,

"I still don't trust y-"

"The diamond seems to be close by." Trixie interrupts while shoving past you, "In fact the diamond is right... here!" Trixie proclaims, pointing her glowing horn directly at Applejack.

"Must be something wrong with yer spell Trixie." Applejack smugly replies as she takes off her hat, "There's no way that diamond's in my-"

Suddenly everypony gasps as you all see that the "diamond" is in Applejack's hat.

"What were you lying?" you smirk.

"This is indeed the fake diamond!" Rarity says, taking a closer look at the diamond with a loupe.

"I have no idea how that got there." Applejack defends.

"My sister didn't steal it chief! You gotta believe me!" Apple Bloom pleads to the police chief.

"Verbal payback aside, I agree." you chime in, "I highly doubt that the Element of Honesty should be the primary suspec-"

"Chief! Somepony broke into the stage director's office!" another officer interrupts.

"But that's where the real diamond is!" Trixie declares causing you all to head to the director's office. On the way there, Rarity slows down so she's next to you and says.

“So… you and Trixie huh?”

“What?” you ask.

“You left with her over a month ago, and here we find you still with her. If I was one for gossip, I’d deduce that there was something between you two...” she says with an inquisitive voice.

“It’s all circumstantial,” you try to say, but she clearly doesn’t believe you.

“Mmhmm, I’m sure it is. A stallion sees an enchanting mare, and he throws his own reputation away to save her from herself, and then he doesn’t leave her side causing her to appreciate him and…” she insinuates with a faux swoon.

“Oh come on, my life is not a cheesy romance novel. If anything it’s more of a Tom Clancehay spy thriller,” you defend.

“Whatever you say Mr. Dewitt. But I am not a blind mare,” she says with an air of superiority.

“You’re not blind huh? Then what about that poor guy you’re stringing along in Ponyville? Cause either you're oblivious or just cruel.” you snark back, causing a look of confusion to come across her face.

“Now who in the world do you mean? I am not 'stringing along' anypony,” she defends.

“Yeah, not anyPONY,” you insinuate thinking about Spike. The recon reports on him detailed a large amount of love radiating off of the young dragon when the dressmaker was around.

“Will you two quit bellyaching back there?” says a frustrated Applejack as Chief Stablemaker speaks with the concerned director over the door lock being picked before ordering two officers inside.

“Applejack, there isn’t anyone I’ve been, as this ruffian puts it, 'stringing along', has there?”

“Oh, you mean Sp... I mean, nope, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Applejack answers unconvincingly while looking around shiftily.

"Huh? Fluttershy, surely you don't believe I'm doing this right?"

"Umm... no comment," she says as she hides behind her mane.

“What? You too? Oh my gosh? Who? Who have I been doing this too?” she asks to herself in panic.

You smirk at your little victory over her when...

When the smoke bomb activates, you put on and activate your Multi-Vision Goggles and set them to thermal only for that action to be too late as the smoke already cleared up and there were too many hoofprints around the room to tell apart.

*Pfooooom*

"It's a smoke bomb! *cough*"

Thinking quickly, you pull down your Multi-Vision Goggles and turn them on to see through the smoke, but the action turns out to be too late as the smoke is already cleared up by the time you set them to "Thermal".

"The diamond! It's gone!" one of the officers exclaims.

"You see anything with them fancy glasses mistah DeWitt?" Apple Bloom asks you.

"Too many fresh hoofprints around the room." you observe, "I can't tell who's is who's." with that you deactivate, retract, and put away the MVG.

Trixie realizes that Rough Diamond used Applejack as a distraction to steal the real diamond and vows to hunt him down, but Chief Stablemaker reveals that he put a tracking chip on the real diamond as a contingency and has Officer Trotter cast the tracking spell... Only to find the Diamond in Trixie's hat. Trixie tries to say that the thief planted the diamond in her hat, but the Chief accuses her of falling back to her old ways.

"Woah, woah, I've been with Trixie long enough to know she's moved past all that." you defend.

"Yeah, Trixie's had some troubles in Ponyville sure, but this doesn't feel like one of her schemes." Applejack adds, but Rarity puts a hoof to her chin and muses,

"But... if she were the thief, then this would be the perfect opportun-"

"Rarity! How can you even think that!" Fluttershy exclaims.

"Yeah mare, what the buck?!" you add indignantly at Rarity.

"Language!" Applejack scolds, covering Apple Bloom and Babs' ears.

"Cousin Applejack, I'm from Manehattan." Babs says taking Applejack's hoof off, "I've heard alot worse."

"You're right, this would be the perfect opportunity, but Trixie would need accomplices wouldn't she?" he implies, the two officers taking up position behind him.

"I don't like where this is going..." you comment in concern.

"Ladies, I think you'd better all come with us." he orders.

"Hey- Now hold on! We got nothin' to do with this!"

"We'll be the judge of that-" he says advancing.

"Wait wait wait, let me get this straight. You seriously believe that half of the Elements of Harmony, you know the repeat saviors of Equestria did this?" you point out.

"The hero letting the fame go to her head and feeling entitled to anything." Chief Stablemaker sighs, "I've seen this story play out more times than I'd like to admit. Of course the fact that you're constantly covering your face doesn't exactly make you look like a model citizen." he says giving you an accusing glare.

"Hey don't drag me into this. I have a condition, see!" you say holding up your Doctor's Note.

"But you're also Trixie's main assistant." he adds.

Sensing that the cops are thinking the wrong thing about Trixie and the rest of you as her so called 'cohorts' you yell,

"Ah to hay with it, BAIL! BAIL!!!"

With that, Trixie quickly throws down a smoke bomb that fills the room, obscuring everypony's vision.

"Mistah DeWitt! Where are ya?!" Apple Bloom calls.

"Go on! I'll buy you guys some time!" you yell.

"No! I won't leave you behind!" Trixie calls.

"Relax, this ain't my first time bucking the police." you smirk towards where you think Trixie is in the smoke cloud, "Just go!"

"Wait, What?!" Trixie starts before being interrupted by Babs.

"Just do as he says!"

"WHOOOAAAAHHH!!!"

With that, the smoke starts to clear and you realize that you're the only one left in the room with Stablemaker and the two officers.

Gotta buy them some time, please let this work...

With that, you point a hoof forward at Officer Trotter and focus...

Try to use the "Inspire Hate" spell to buy more time for Trixie and the others to flee the cops.

Attempt an Assassin's Vow 'leap of faith' while declaring, "REQUIEM AND PASTA!!!"

"Trotter, Fluffles, get him!" Stablemaker orders.

"You don't tell me what to do!" the green unicorn cop growls.

"What was th-" Stablemaker whirls around, but stops when he notices Trotter's glowing red eyes.

With an enraged yell, Trotter tackles Stablemaker into a props locker causing Fluffles to try to restrain the unicorn from behind,

"Trotter, stop it! What's wrong with you?!"

With the enraged officer pulled off him, Stablemaker notices you pointing a hoof at Trotter with intense focus in your eyes.

"It's that assistant! He has dark magic! All officer converge now!"

"And... that's my que to exit." you say ending the spell and taking a Leap of Faith out the window declaring,

"REQUIEM AND PASTA-!!!" *CRASH* "MY SPINE!!!"

...And promptly land back first onto a garbage can.

"Stupid trash cans." you mutter as you painfully roll off the trash can before invoking your healing factor to heal your back and then make a break for it.

"He's getting away! Call in a Pegasi unit to tail him!" Stablemaker orders.

"We have no air support available chief!" Officer Fluffles replies next to a calmer and profusely apologizing Trotter, "All Pegasi Officers and airships have been called in to pacify a street war between the Tackaglia Crime Family and the Wingstone Griffish Firm in Hooflyn!"

"All officers pursue!" Stablemaker orders running out of the room, "Suspect is an adult male unicorn with solid blue eyes wearing a black suit, black derby, and a red scarf! Suspect is a dark magic user and considered armed and dangerous!"

As you run out the alley and into the streets of Manehattan you see the girls running into a Subway.

Gotta draw the heat away from the girls so underground's not an option. you quickly think to yourself before you start running in the opposite direction with the police hot on your tail when you suddenly notice a random message floating in the air above you.

It's five star slots with 2 of them full and an objective;

LOSE THE COPS!

Author's Note:

(1) Queen Chrysalis even hired Rough Diamond (through contacts) to assist in a changeling operation to hit 7 Las Pegasus casinos in one night... but she manipulated everything so that all changelings involved in the operation went down as she made a clean escape with all the loot much to Chrysalis's fury (especially since she was planning to backstab Rough Diamond first so she would go down for the robbery while the changelings escaped with the loot). In spite of Chrysalis's orders, even the most elite changeling operatives couldn't find any trace of her.

That's right commenters, next chapter will be a Chase Chapter!

Loadout is still the same from last chapter, but here's a list of your/Ritz's abilities;
ABILITIES
-Chain Punch (concentrated rapid flurry of hoof strikes to one spot)
-Force Pull (Rquires focus and can only affect objects that you can normally lift/push physically (meaning "Force Pull" will not work on objects that would normally be too heavy, stuck, or large for you to physically lift, carry, or pull yourself))
-"Inspire Hate" (Short-range technique that enrages target and sends him/her into a berserker frenzy against everypony else around her/him. Only works on one target at a time and requires you (Ritz) to stand still, keep eyes on the target, and maintain focus and the target will go back to normal when you move, look away, or lose concentration)
-Can heal instantly, but requires burning through alot of either your food or love supplies (requires less love than food). The more severe the fatigue or injury, the more food you need to consume first.
-Can't fly.
-Can walk on walls and some ceilings.
-Limited Parkour
-Disguise only lasts a few seconds at most.
-Knack for “Hide and Seek” and general stealth
-Being a big film and serial buff

However, there are guidelines so we don't go completely nucking buts PLEASE READ THEM;

1. No exposing Ritz as a Changeling (yes, I say this every chapter but I DON'T want anypony getting any ideas) so DON'T get caught.
2. No killing. However, collateral damage and slapstick are acceptable and encouraged.
3. Ritz is NOT a tank. Changelings are generally weaker than ponies so he won't last very long in a straight-up fight so use evasion, stealth, and luck instead.
4. No raising the wanted level above 3 Stars. You're supposed to be LOSING the wanted level, NOT increasing it.
5. The Manehattan Police have no air support available so no airships or pegasi officer will be showing up.
6. Since the whole point is to draw attention away from the mares, they will NOT be showing up next chapter. You're on your own.
7. Have fun. You're being chased by cops through a NYC-esque city, USE IT!

These may seem like alot, but these are important for making sure we don't do anything too crazy like having Celes-zilla show up or something stupid like th- Get your fingers away from the keyboard this instant!

Now as for last episode's question;

What should be Ritz's new clothes?

That will be answered... next chapter! For now, answers are closed so no more clothes suggestions

See you next chapter!

PreviousChapters Next