• Published 2nd Aug 2015
  • 4,076 Views, 371 Comments

The Teal Changeling - MrAlterad



Princess Chrysalis was born a queen, but she has much to learn about becoming one. The war between her hive and Princess Luna may provide the lesson, assuming what follows doesn't destroy her kind...

  • ...
6
 371
 4,076

21. Weight of a Promise

Deep within the Amber hive was a large collection of tunnels, separated from the Windtrap network. Because of this, the air was stale and cold year round. This factor alone was enough to give the typical drone reason to hesitate before entering. It wasn't dangerous or scary. In fact, it served a very precious purpose to the hive. Still, it didn't get too many visitors.

Lores once again found herself at that entrance. The opening to the Silent Halls. Having chosen to stay awake through the season, she now had more free time than she was comfortable with, making her a regular visitor. Her wings gave a soft buzz as she entered, traveling down the oldest tunnels of the hive; their age making her feel as though she was going back in time.

Following the primary path, her eyes darted between small chambers attached to it, each with a label etched over the opening. The way was barely lit, even by changeling standards, with only a small cluster of glowshrooms in each room, the light leaking out the only illumination for the hall.

The first few chambers gave off an unusual glow; purple. A color that the queen herself helped maintain. Beyond those rooms, the amber glow prevailed. Lores took the long path, choosing to take her time, instead of the shortcut to the more recently carved sections of the halls. Every so often, she'd shift into pony form to keep herself warm, before moving on.

She stopped when she found her final destination. 'Timid Clutch' was written on the arch. Lores took a deep breath, before walking in. Inside was a small circular chamber, smaller than the one she worked in.

At the room’s center stood a supporting pillar. At the pillar’s base, wrapped around it, were two adult sized holes, and six hatchling sized piles of stone. Spread around evenly, it gave the piles the look of an eight petaled flower. On the pillar were a small number of glowshrooms, illuminating names etched in stone, one for each petal.

Lores walked around the room slowly, a weak smile on her face. She spoke a few heartfelt words, addressing Timid One through Six, her eyes itching, before she found herself standing before the two open spots.

Unlike the others, Timid Seven and Eight had two additional lines under their names. She looked to the eighth name, 'Teyra' and under that, 'Lores', her features becoming more cold as she eyed the open spot. She then glanced to the opening adjacent, the bottom line for it reading 'Mantis'.

“We've come a long ways, haven't we?” she asked as she continued to pace around her clutchlings.

“Yes, we have,” an unexpected voice replied, making Lores flinch, her eyes finding Mantis at the entrance. “I didn't think I'd find you here, but I can't really say I'm surprised,” he added, coming to her side as she let out a sigh.

“With Her Highness occupying herself with draining as much love as she can, and there being no clutch of eggs to help look after, there isn't all that much for me to do.”

“Then why did you decide to stay awake?” he asked, getting a flat look from her.

“You know why.”

“So you could meddle with my affairs?” he asked, sounding more annoyed than angry, making Lores pause in thought for a moment.

“Can we talk about that some other time?” she asked as she looked to the stones, getting a small nod from Mantis.

“That, that is fair,” he replied, a distant look in his eyes as he took in the room.

Beyond that, the two had little else to say. Lores wasn't in the mood to leave, and neither was Mantis. So they simply sat silently, side by side, before Lores' eyes started to droop, her head bobbing sleepily.

He noticed her fatigue, separating himself for a moment, before becoming wreathed in amber fire, getting a surprised look from her. After several seconds, the fire dissipated, his body now radiating heat. He then returned to her side, getting a small smirk from her.

“Show off,” she said, seeing the hint of a smile in his eyes. “...Mantis, haven't you done enough?” she asked, making him frown.

“It'll never be enough. Not until there's absolutely no chance of our kind going hungry, ever again,” he replied, a fire burning in his eyes. “And I'll see it happen. Despite your meddling,” he added, making her glance to the side for a moment.

She wanted to talk to him about Chrysalis. Tell him about how foolish his contempt for her was. But, she knew Mantis. She knew how stubborn, how determined he could be when he set his mind on something. So instead they simply sat silently together, with the rest of their clutch, as the tomorrow they sought slowly approached.

~~~~~~~~~~

In the field of ravaged white forts, Snow Queen Chrysalis reigned supreme. Looking after Momo for two weeks had admittedly left the princess feeling pent up, and the snowball fight worked perfectly to remedy that.

Besides her magic feeling a little drained, she wasn't particularly tired. That couldn't be said about all other parties involved. All the other fillies and colts were worn out, the last of them taking their leave, happy fatigue in their eyes. Well, happy for the younger ones. The older children were giving Chrys looks; promises of a rematch.

Momo was out cold. She was one of the few able to land consistent hits on Chrys, and playing in the snow after being in bed for so long quickly drained what strength she had. She was sleeping peacefully on Aegis' back, with Chrys at her side, horn glowing to keep her clutchling warm.

“...It feels like it's been forever, since I've had the chance to do that,” Chrys said, casually taking in their surroundings.

“...Have fun?” Aegis asked skeptically, getting a nod from her.

“Does Amber have fun? Are queens allowed to have such a thing?” she inquired, casting her gaze down.

“Yes, and yes. Her Highness is always her happiest when she's with her hatchlings.”

“Will I be the same?”

“My apologies princess, but I do not know,” he said, getting an annoyed frown from her. She then glanced up, before letting out another sigh.

“Let's head back.” With that, Aegis gave a small nod, and they left the ruined forts behind them. As he carried them, Chrys's mind wandered over what she'd seen of the town, guilt starting to itch at her, now that the fun was all said and done.

Her guilt vanished when they reached the clinic. A certain yellow pegasus was waiting at the door, giving them a warm, yet very tired look.

“Did you know that working three jobs at a time can be very tiring?” he asked, getting a small smile from Chrys, before it quickly shifted to a frown. He noticed that look, hesitating for a moment, before giving her a big smile. “I heard Momo was up!” he said, flying around them, before he frowned. “Though, it looks like I heard wrong,” he added, giving Chrys a concerned look.

“She was, she's just worn out from playing in the snow,” she explained flatly, getting a surprised look from him.

“Oh,” he replied, before glancing to the side.

“She wanted to talk to you,” she said, making the pegasus take on a considering look, glancing to the clouds being worked on by the other pegasi.

“I think I'll wait for her to wake up, if that's alright with you.”

“It's ... fine,” she replied, hopping off Aegis, and carefully levitating her clutchling inside. After putting Momo in bed, an awkward silence fell between the princess and the pony, while Aegis resumed his watch outside the window.

“So, you're still mad?” he asked as he gave her a quick glance, winning a frown from the princess.

“Yes,” she said curtly, getting a sheepish laugh from him. “It's not funny! You said you were going to take us all the way!”

“And I was, but...” he replied, his ears briefly falling as he quickly glanced to Momo, before looking outside. “You don't need me anymore. It's safe in Equestria, and, I should really be helping them. After what happened to Thundercloud—”

“Look, we don't need to go over this again,” Chrys said in a put off tone, “But, I'm not going to be the one to tell Momo you're ditching us. Got it?”

“Yeah, I got it,” he replied unenthusiastically, making Chrys’s gaze narrow at him, doubt in her eyes. Moving from Momo, she pushed Dud towards the bed, taking up his spot near the window, getting a confused look from him.

“I'm serious. You get to tell her yourself. And I'm not helping you,” she assured. She then let out another annoyed sigh, before glancing back outside, done with this conversation.

And so the awkward silence returned, and remained for over an hour, the princess and the pony each lost in their own guilt tinted thoughts.

Chrys's eyes were looking outside, causally moving from side to side, taking in ponies coming and going from Dodge as she thought. How long should they stay? What would be the best way to approach Luna? How do you make up for destroying four cities?

She found herself unable to focus, another question coming to mind before she could piece together an answer for the prior. As she started to grow frustrated, she found her thought process come to a screeching halt, her eyes falling upon a passing pony. An ocean-blue earth pony mare.

She looked familiar. Terribly familiar. Chrys propped herself up, hooves on the windowsill to get a better look, trying to place what was so striking about the pony. She then noticed that the colors of their coats, eyes and manes were a perfect match.

Chrysalis's mouth fell open, her heart skipping a beat as a small mystery was finally answered. The old stallion that died, whose love had made her start questioning everything. How did he see through her disguise? The pony she had disguised herself as was what his grandfilly had looked like, when Tampa Neigh fell into the sea. That was over a decade ago. By now, that filly would have grown to be a mare. The very same mare walking past the clinic: Star Shell.

She would know the old stallion's name, right?

With unexpected hope flaring in her eyes, Chrysalis ran to the door, getting a surprised look from Dud. “Look after Momo!” was all she had to say, leaving the clinic, a surprised Aegis following after her as she bound after the mare. “S- Star Shell!” she cried out, getting a confused look from the pony, whose eyes widened when she saw the filly and the large buffalo running in her direction.

However, Star didn't move, her confusion growing as she saw a unicorn filly that looked very similar to herself, when she was younger. She took a guarded step back as Chrys slid to a halt before her, Aegis pausing several paces back. The mare looked from him, to the princess, before shaking her head, as if to clear her confusion.

“I- I'm sorry, but do I know you?” Star asked as she appraised the princess. Chrys blinked, immediately recalling their position, making her glance to the side for a second.

“No, you don't,” she replied, making the mare tilt her head.

“But you know me?”

“...My sister said I looked a lot like you,” Chrys replied, adopting a determined look as she gazed into Star's eyes, peering into her heart.

There, she saw the ponies Star Shell loved appear in her mind's eye: A stallion she fancied, her parents, a younger brother, and grandparents. Chrys could make out the names of those ponies through her changeling magic, all but the grandfolks.

“Did she, now?” Star asked curiously, before adopting a smile, “Who's that? She a friend of mine?” she inquired, making Chrys frown for a moment, her mind racing.

“No, you don't know her. But, she knew your grandfather. The one from Tampa Neigh.” Star blinked at that, before glancing to the side, her smile gaining a sad tint.

“She knew gramps huh? ...So, how can I help you?” she pressed, making Chrys blink, “You came running after a stranger, so it must be important.”

“It is. It's really important!” Chrys replied, taking a step forward, “My … sister, owes your grandfather. But, she knows she can't pay him back,” she explained as she eyed the ground, “Or thank him. She doesn't even know his name.” She then gave Star a fired-up look. “Please, can you tell me his name? My sister isn't here, but I can tell her when I see her,” she asked, getting a surprised, and considering look from the mare.

“This is very important to you two.” It wasn't a question. “I'm sorry. I don't know his name. ...I'm going to see my father. You can find grandpa's name there. But,” she hesitated for a moment, before looking over Chrys, her hesitation faltering at the princess's determined look. “Come with me, I'll show you.”

“Crystal,” Aegis said hesitantly, making the princess look to him.

“I'm going, Aegis. If you're coming, then keep quiet,” she said firmly, getting a surprised look from the mare as the buffalo clammed up. “Please,” the proud princess said as she looked back to Star, a pleading tone in her voice, “I need to know.”

“Alright. It's not far,” she assured, continuing down the road. Chrys eyed the mare’s back for a moment, wondering why she said 'it'. She then eyed the snowy, muddy road, now aware of the mess her sprint had made of her. She frowned, before continuing forward, Aegis a pace behind her. After several moments, Star glanced over her shoulder, motioning Chrys closer. The princess blinked, before coming to the mare's side. “It's an odd thing, running into somepony that knew my grandfather today.”

“Why's that?”

“I don't live here,” she admitted with a small smile, “I'm from Canter Town,” she then glanced to the cloudy sky, “With everything going on, it felt best to visit now, before things got worse.”

“To see your grandfather?”

“No. I mean, yes, but it was mostly to visit my dad. When … they come,” she said as she glanced in the direction of The Badlands, “I may not be able to visit him for a while.” She then let out a small sigh, before giving Chrys a curious look. “What did gramps do for your sister?”

“They … were friends. They talked a lot, and he told her stories. She enjoyed them. He also showed her love. It wasn't something she expected.” Chrys frowned as her eyes started to itch.

No! No more crying!

Through her determination, no tears came. “My sister ... didn't realize how important he was to her, until after he was gone,” she admitted, her chest tightening, before she let out a deep breath. Chrys then looked up, her eyes widening as she saw they were about to leave Dodge through the eastern exit.

“Father's not too far out, he's just over that hill,” Star explained, indicating a path outside the town that had seen plenty of traffic, even though there was nothing but white hills to be seen.

As they left the town behind them, Chrys vaguely noted that Aegis had moved closer to her, a guarded look in his eyes. “I'll admit, that sounds like a pony a little different from what my father said about him. Not that I'm surprised. I don't think they got along really well.”

“No. they didn't,” Chrys said confidently, “I'm- My sister is pretty sure that he always wanted to meet you.”

“Really?” she asked, surprised.

“Really,” Chrys assured.

The changeling princess then hesitated as they passed a bend around the hill, revealing a large field. The area was boxed in, a short wall of stone separating the surrounding countryside from the sacred ground within. A field, littered with crafted rectangles of stone.

They were no taller than a pony, and were arranged in an organized manner, each with a slightly different shape from its neighbor. Chrys's ears fell at the sight, knowing well enough what it all symbolized. Indeed, there were no words shared between the two, silence falling over them, only broken by the sound of their hoofsteps.

Chrys silently motioned Aegis to wait outside the yard, his form too big for the closely placed markers. Any argument he had was cut off with a somber, yet heavy look from her. Following after Star, Chrys hesitated at the iron gate, words written on the arch above her.

'Nopony Is Buried Here, But Our Love Shall Always Be Heard'

Chrys's hooves felt heavier and heavier with each step, her eyes glancing between the stones. There were names, and little touches of love placed upon each of them: A sentence etched in granite, a bundle of flowers, mementos, even the occasional letter.

“My father rests there, along with some of his extended family,” Star explained, indicating his marker, a sad look in her eyes, “I'd like to be alone with him, so I'll show you where gramps is first.”

“...What happened?” Chrys dared to ask.

“He … was in Neighgarou, when the dragon attacked.”

Chrys felt as if she'd been hit in the chest, eyes widening, steps faltering. Somewhere in the hive, was a cocoon, home to Star Shell's father. He'd been there the whole time, perhaps even a stone's throw away from the old stallion, and Chrys never knew.

“Did you ... lose somepony too?” Star inquired in a concerned tone, moving close to Chrys.

“Yes,” she said, trying to compose herself, before shaking her head. “Let's keep going.” The air felt suffocating. Star hesitated, doubting she should be leading this filly along with her guardian stuck outside. But the determined look in the filly's eyes continued to press her forward, getting a small nod from the mare, as they moved further in.

“Here's grandma's,” Star pointed out as she stopped before another marker, “Which makes the one beside it grandpa's.” Chrys eyed it, her chest feeling as heavy as it had when she cried in Bulwark's hooves. She came around to the front of it, avoiding the name etched on it, as she looked to Star Shell.

“Thank you. You can go now,” she said coldly, making the mare blink.

“I'm not just going to leave you all alone here-”

“I'll be fine,” Chrys said in a calm, but commanding tone, “You came here for a reason. You should go. I'll be fine.” Star looked conflicted, glancing between the filly and her father's grave. “You said you live in Canter Town?” Chrys asked, getting a nod from the mare. “I'm heading there soon. Maybe we'll see each other again.” There was a note of finality in that statement that made the mare frown.

Chrys's eyes widened as the pony gave her a hug.

“It's clear that gramps was important to you too,” she stated, her embrace tightening for a moment. “You don't need to be alone. And, I'd like to meet your sister,” she said, radiating a small amount of love that made Chrys blush, and glance to the side.

Ponies are far too nice.

“She'll be there. I can promise that.” Chrys assured, before her horn glowed, surprising the mare with her strength as she was pushed off. “Now please, I want to be alone.”

Star Shell had lost two parents thanks to changelings. Chrys didn't want to be comforted. Least of all by her. So she gave Star Shell a cold look, turning her back to the mare, which made the pony's ears drop, before she slowly turned away. “And thank you. I really mean it.”

“...Think nothing of it.” With that, she slowly walked away, glancing over her shoulder for a moment, somber eyes on the princess, before making her way back to her father.

Alone, Chrys sat before the cold stone for several minutes, avoiding reading the name. Snow was starting to pile on her. Her breathing began to quicken as thoughts of what she's done since the old stallion passed on flew through her mind.

“It's not fair,” she said quietly, feeling the same confusion she felt when his last dream came to an end. “Why? Why'd your love have to be so sweet? Why'd you have to be so kind to a changeling? Why did I have to be that changeling?” She shook her head, seeing herself seeking answers, and finding things best left alone. “I- I wouldn't be here right now, if it weren't for you!” she accused, standing up as she glared at the grave, refusing to take in its name. “I wouldn't have doubted our hive's power. I wouldn't have wanted to leave. Bulwark would be at my side right now. Momo wouldn't have gotten hurt!” She shook her head again. “Look at me! I'm yelling at a rock, and it's all your fault!” Her throat was starting to burn. She was holding a hoof over her heart, a pained look on her face. “Why? Why does my chest still hurt! I've already cried for you! Wasn't once more than enough!” she vented, eyes stinging, face red. “Why!!?” She sat down, vision blurry, eyes taking in the surrounding markers. “It isn't fair... We don't need to fight. We don't need to steal ponies from their loved ones. We- We...” she faltered, ears low as she eyed her muddy legs. “...Why did all of this happen?”

There was no voice to answer her questions, only the sound of falling snow. Chrysalis rubbed her cheek, frowning as her hoof became wet. She then took in a deep breath, before raising her eyes, looking to the name etched on the grave. The name she'd been wanting to know for weeks. The name that would make her guilt melt away.

That name, was Shifty Shores.

She couldn't help but let out a small laugh. It was such a pony name. The name she'd wanted to know was such a simple name. And now that she had her answer, she didn't feel any different. The guilt was still there. It was funny. So funny, that she couldn't help but laugh, tears running down her face, as several of his old stories played through her head.

It wasn't fair.

Nothing about any of this was fair. Her hive had been starving, and Mantis stepped up to change that. Now, the changelings were the happy ones, and ponies were the ones crying.

There had always been a way for both races to be happy. It had been hiding, alone, in a broken mountain for over five hundred years. And only now, when open war was brimming between the two races, was it found. Now, it may already be too late for it to matter.

It wasn't fair.

Chrysalis's laughter had slowly shifted to quiet sobs. She desperately wished that Bulwark was with her. That Momo was by her side. That Darrin was mocking her, telling her to pick her head back up. But they weren't here. Each of them left behind, by her choosing.

And at that moment, the princess was overcome with loneliness. Her isolation overwhelmed her, eyes widening as she a terrifying truth came to mind. One her clutchling mentioned once before. A reality, a fact that a part of her had know for some time, that she didn't want to think about. She would one day outlive all of them. Each of them would eventually find themselves buried beneath hallowed stones, long before she would.

Because she was born to be a queen.

A queen was both mother and leader. Alone, yet loved by many. One day, she'd cry one final time, for her clutchlings, and her guardian. That was a queen's burden. This realization threatened to drown her already emotionally compromised state. It threatened to drag her down, to make her simply fall over in the snow, and wish to never stand again.

She couldn't stand that feeling, that sadness, that opened like a bottomless pit before her. It was dangerous.

Stepping away from that pit, she found herself recalling how she felt, when Momo awoke from her coma. The unbridled joy of her open eyes, the warmth of her beating heart. The darkness started to grow distant, her mind recalling the security, the safety she felt, when Bulwark sheltered her from her tears. She smiled, imagining the anger, and joy, that came with arguing with Darrin.

Those tokens of happiness were precious to her. One day, far in the future, she would be without them. But, that was then. Right now, those sparks of joy were being threatened. Not by her birthright, but by a simple fact.

It wasn't fair. This whole thing between ponies and changelings, wasn't fair. All of it, led by one changeling. She may have blamed the old stallion in a fit of tears, but there was no doubt in her heart who the true architect of her pain and struggles was.

Mantis. He was the source of everything that wasn't fair in this world of ponies and changelings.

That needed to change. And though there was no changing what he's already done, she could change what was to come.

It was true, she may very well outlive those she loves. That was a fact that as a queen, she couldn't afford to change. A fact she'd have to come to terms with. But, if that was the case, if that was the burden she'd have to bear, she intended to make sure they lived long, happy lives, before the inevitable took them from her. She would never forgive herself, if Mantis took them first.

Mantis had to go. That wasn't anything she didn't already know. But, it wouldn't be enough. If she wanted things to change, if she wanted both changelings, and ponies, to smile together, then something greater than Mantis had to be done. Something only she could do.

Something to make it all fair again.

That thought lit a fire in her chest, melting the pain away. Her tears died down, determination shining in her eyes, her breathing steadying. She was going to be a queen. She wasn't going to be one that spent her time crying, when there was something she could do about it.

Rubbing her face, she wiped away her tears, seeing muddy hooves as she finished. She frowned as she took the muck in.

When did a princess become a queen? Was it when her mother said so? If so, she was already one.

Was it when she had her first clutch? She was still a ways from that.

Was it when she had her first follower? She already had three.

No, all of that wasn't quite it. Chrysalis shook her head, eyes narrowing as she came to an answer. A princess became a queen, when she took charge of her destiny.

Her mother said that when they next met, it would be as queens.

With a flash of her horn, Chrysalis cleared away the mud. She was a queen, and she wouldn't stand being covered in filth. There were things she needed to do. Things only she could do. And she was going to see them done.

Standing up, she looked to the grave, before glancing to the side. She knew it was empty, but that hadn't stopped her from speaking earlier.

“I'm sorry for yelling... Thank you, for listening, and for all the stories, gramps.” With that, she adopted a small smile, before turning her back on the marker. She left with his name etched on her heart, her promise fulfilled, and a new one beginning to form.

Momo was awake from her coma. Chrys had no truly pressing reason to linger in Dodge any longer. It was time to move on. Making her way out, she paused as she reached Star Shell. The mare’s eyes were tinted red, but she looked composed as she glanced to Chrys.

“You're leaving?” the pony asked, getting a nod from the young queen.

“I'm off to Canter Town,” she said, before moving past Star. Chrys then paused, glancing over her shoulder. “You should talk to him. He really wanted to meet you,” she said, getting a confused look from the mare.

“You make it sound like you've talked to him.”

“Maybe I did, in another life,” Chrys said, before moving on, leaving a considering pony in her wake. She had no words for Aegis, and he had none for her, moving a step behind her as she continued on.

Princess Luna was waiting...

~~~~~~~~~~

Momo rubbed her head against the feathery pillow, loving how warm it felt, a smile on her face. She then realized that she was back in bed. Her eyes popped open, a question coming to mind that probably wasn't that big of a concern, but was still important for her to know.

Did she win the snowball fight?

She frowned to herself. Since she was laying in bed, she probably lost. She sat up, feeling her body aching in protest, making her let out a sigh. She then glanced to the side, seeing Dud sitting by the bed, her heart skipping a beat at seeing him.

His head was hanging, eyes closed as he slept. She blinked, glancing through the room, seeing no sign of Aegis or Chrys. She considered her sleeping friend for a moment, wondering if she should wake him, before her brow furrowed.

“Hey, wake up,” she said in a raised tone, “I'm supposed to be the tired one here,” she pointed out, giving him a push that almost knocked him over, doing a sufficient job of startling him.

“O- Oh! Momo, you're awake!”

“Well, how about that?” she said with a small smile, “Thanks for letting me know,” she added, getting a small laugh from him. “Are you okay?” she asked as she tilted her head, getting a confused look from him.

“Shouldn't I be asking you that?”

“Mmaaybe, but I asked first.”

“I'm fine. I've just been … very busy,” he said, his hesitant response making her aware that he was avoiding eye contact with her. She looked at him for a moment, before glancing to the side too, ears falling.

“Thundercloud … is gone.”

“...That's right,” he replied, frowning at the ground.

“Are you okay?” she firmly repeated.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” he said with a weak smile, which she mirrored.

“Glad to hear it,” she then slipped out of bed, making the pony blink. “Where's Chrys?”

“I don't know,” he replied, his body language becoming a little more emotive, “She just ran off suddenly, like she found something rare and important.”

“Huh. I wonder what?” she considered as she tilted her head, before adopting a proud grin. “Dud, I told her!”

“You told her- Oh!” He then gave her that sunny smile he usually wore. “How'd it go?”

“She said that was ‘so me’,” she replied with a chuckle. “I'm … really glad that it's out in the open now. She said she'd help too.”

“Excellent!” he added. He then tilted his head as she made a beckoning motion.

“Chrys wants to stay for a day or two, but knowing her, she'll probably want to leave sooner than that. So, let's get ready to go.” To her surprise, he frowned.

“You're in no condition to be traveling,” he said flatly, waving the doctor's note in his hooves.

“I'm fit enough to fight Chrys with snowballs, so I should be good for walking. We just won't be flying. Unless Aegis carries me, anyways.” She then trotted past him, towards the door. “Let's go. We're going to need food for the four of us to reach Canter Town, right?” she asked, getting a distant look from him.

“About that,” he began as he glanced to the side, “I'm staying.”

“You're staying? In Dodge?” she asked, getting a nod from him, making her slowly turn to him. “How long?”

“I don't know. Until Lost Pegasus is finished?”

“And how long would that be?”

“Months, maybe even years.” Now it was her turn to frown.

Why?”

“...Thundercloud is gone, because I screwed up.”

“That's an excuse,” she said with an annoyed glare, making him blink in surprise. “You're smart, Dud. You know better than I that Mantis is to blame.”

“It's not an excuse.”

“Dud, that is not the reason you're staying behind.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“Because you're not the first to abandon Chrys.” He stepped back, her words hitting him in the chest.

“I'm not abandoning anyone. I led you all here to Equestria. You don't need me anymore—“

“Was it your parents?” she pressed, making him frown. “The pegasi here, did they think you're one of those 'rich bigots'?”

“No. My folks took their fortune and flew to Cloudsdale,” he said, disgust in his voice. “My parentage... With what's happened, that sort of thing doesn't seem to matter anymore,” he admitted, making Momo tilt her head.

“Then why are you staying? I mean, I'm not complaining that you're helping rebuild, I just don't like you lying to me.”

“What makes you think I'm lying?”

“Because you keep avoiding my eyes!” she pointed out, making his widen as he glanced to her. “Do you know how many clutchlings I've talked to, how many have been pushed away from Chrys? They didn't want to leave her. They had a look in their eyes. And right now, you have the same look!”

“And it's because of Thundercloud,” he insisted, matching her frown.

“Dud—” He turned around, moving closer to the window.

“That's enough, Momo,” he said firmly, giving her a glare that put her at a loss for words. “It's because of Thundercloud, and that's all I have to say about this.” Her ears fell at his words. Once again, she felt a wall being placed between them. A wall that was significantly more personal than the one she tackled back in the abandoned city.

Momo blinked, caught off guard as Dud opened the window. He then glanced back to her, his face becoming softer.

“I'm glad that you're awake, and I'm sorry that we had an argument. I'll see you when you guys leave. Later.” With that, he jumped out through the window, wings spreading as he took to the air, making her heart skip a beat as he disappeared from sight.

“H- Hey! Get back here!” she demanded, jumping out after him.

His color was easy to spot in the gray backdrop of clouds. She saw him flying north, and she followed. It wasn't long before they were outside Dodge, her pace hampered by the snowy fields. She adopted a desperate look as he ascended higher. “Dud!” she cried out, jumping up, her bound wings twitching in their bondage as she failed to fly after him.

She was grounded. There was no chance of catching him. So she stood there, watching him retreat into the sky for a second. She then let out a steaming breath, adopting a heated glare. She'd seen plenty of clutchlings run from Mantis. She couldn't blame them for that. She knew who was at fault there. This was different. Momo took in a deep breath.

“Grumpy Gust, get your yellow flank back down here!!” she shouted, her throat aching from the effort. He faltered, his pace slowing as he looked back to her. She gave him a fiery look, before glancing to the bindings on her wings.

They were in the way.

Dud's eyes widened as she bit into the bandages. There was pain, but Momo was a little too aggravated to care, as she started trying to free her wings. Several seconds after she started, she could feel the bindings start to loosen. She was caught off guard when a yellow blur plowed into her, sending both of them rolling in the snow. When the world stopped spinning, Momo found Dud standing over her, a very angry look in his eyes.

“You feather brain! What do you think you're—“ She head-butted him, making him reel back in surprise. With practice no worker drone should be capable of, she crashed into the stallion, knocking him over. Before he could get on his hooves, she pinned him down, a hoof on each wing.

She wasn't as strong as she liked. The two weeks in bed definitely did a number on her. Thankfully, Dud didn't seem to be fit enough to fight back. His fatigue from working himself ragged was shining through.

So she stood over him, looking into his eyes, as he was looking in hers. They were breathing heavily, glaring at each other. The silent stalemate didn't last long; fatigue caught up with the changeling, her legs wobbling as she tried her hardest to keep standing.

“Dud. We want you to stay. So stay with us,” she pleaded, “Tell me. Why are you running?” she asked, his frown persisting as he glanced to the side. “Dud, please-” Despite her stubbornness, her legs gave out, making her slump on top of him. “D- Darn it,” she said, wanting to hit something, her body refusing to grant that wish.

Dud looked over her for a moment, unmoving. He didn't make his escape, or try to push her off. He simply lay there, quietly, as his temper slowly died down. “Was it a lie?” she asked in a hurt tone, her eyes stinging as he glanced to her.

“What was?”

“When you said you'd help me, all the way?” she pressed, making him shake his head.

“It wasn't a lie. But, look where that help got you,” he said, slowly sitting up, lifting her weak body so that she was leaning into him.

“So. That's the reason,” she said, frowning slightly as he nodded. “I get zapped by lightning, and my friend goes and blames himself.”

“As I said, you don't need me anymore,” he assured. She really wanted to hit him right now. “I can help you with your dream after it's all over. After I've...” he then glanced to the side.

“No.”

“You don't seem to be in a position to stop me,” he pointed out. She weakly hit his chest. Her cheeks were wet.

“I said no. You think we don't need you anymore? We don't know Equestria. We have no friends here. You think we're going to count on that Arrow pony instead of you?” She shook her head. “And what about you? What about wanting to see how everything plays out? You're really just going to stay behind?” Oddly, she found the silence that followed reassuring. “Let's be honest here, Dud. Do you really think I'm giving you a choice?” He frowned at that.

“So if I stay in Dodge, you're just going to tear your bindings off and try to stop me, huh?” he asked with an annoyed look.

“Is staying with us really that bad?” she asked. Her eyes then widened as she realized that his body was trembling.

“I … I saw you fall.” Her eyes widened at that, making her limbs tightening weakly as she closed her eyes. “Ever since Thundercloud went up in a flash of light, I've been afraid that I- That I-” he frowned, tongue tied down with emotions he wasn't used to. “Afraid that I … killed you.” He finished, his legs wrapped around her in a hug. “It- It was too much! I worked myself ragged, just to distract myself from those thoughts!” Momo's chest hurt at those words. He seemed on the verge of tears. Where was the sunny Dud she loved?

Her eyes opened at the thought.

Weakly turning her head, she looked into his wet eyes, and peered into his heart. Her own skipped a beat, when she saw Chrys and herself in there.

Did this mean he was no longer Dud?

She let out a small chuckle at the odd thought. The pony certainly wasn't acting like his normal self. He gave her a confused look as she tried to wrap her hooves around him.

“So I fell. I got back up, didn't I? Can't you do the same?” she asked with a small smile, making him blink again, his mind racing to piece together what she meant. “If you're going to blame yourself, then go right ahead. I forgive you. Even though it was all Mantis' fault, I'll forgive you all the same. Just, don't leave us behind because you're guilty.”

“It's not that easy,” he said with a frown.

“Then let me help you. That's what ponies that love each other do, right?” she asked, making him blink again. His eyes then widened, face flushing as the dots connected.

“I, that is. Ughh—“

“Dud, we haven't reached Canter Town yet. Can you at least get us there, before deciding to ditch us?” she asked, a pleading look in her eyes. He looked into those eyes, his emotions switching from confusion, to apprehension, before settling on reluctance.

“You're … really not giving me a choice here...” he pointed out, glancing to the side, making her ears fall.

“Sorry,” she replied, “Darrin once told me that to win, sometimes you have to play dirty.”

“Is that what counts as good advice for a changeling?” he asked with a raised eyebrow, getting a small chuckle from her.

“Dud. I don't want to be the reason you stop smiling.” His face reddened at that, mouth hanging open. He looked into her eyes for moment, before looking away, a neutral expression coming over him.

“I'll see you three the rest of the way.”

“You’re not going to run away?” she asked hesitantly, getting a small nod from him.

“Promise.” Momo's heart felt like it was going to burst at hearing that, making her hug him with all the strength she could muster.

“That makes me very happy,” she admitted, reigniting his blush. “Now, can you do me a huge favor?” she asked, making him consider her for a moment, before taking in a deep breath.

“What is it?”

“Can you help me get back to that comfy, warm bed?” she asked with a weak laugh, getting a surprised look from him, before he started to mirror her mirth. Helping her stand, Dud worked on trying to undo some of the damage she did to the bandages, before slipping her over his shoulders.

“...You've lost some weight,” he pointed out with a frown, getting another chuckle from her.

“Then you've got no excuse if you drop me.”

“No. That won't happen,” he said with a determined look, “Ever again.” She didn't know what he was referring to, but it made her chest feel warm all the same. And as he carried her back, Momo couldn't help but feel a little giddy. She didn't want to ever let go of that warmth.

“Hey, Dud?”

“Yes?”

“Do you regret helping us?” she asked, seeing his eyes glancing to her for a moment, before adopting a ghost of a smile. “...Dud?”

“No comment,” he replied, getting a playful frown from her.

“You're supposed to say 'no, not for a moment', you feathered jerk,” she replied, giving him a smile, which he mirrored.

“Did you know that Pegasi means ‘feathered jerk’ in griffin?”

“Seriously?”

“So I've been told,” he added with a laugh. Following their laughter, a serene sense of silence fell over them, as they returned to Dodge. When the Clinic was in sight, Dud paused. Chrys was waiting for them. She was standing at the doorway, an eyebrow raised at what she saw. “Are we in trouble?” he asked, getting a sheepish smile from Momo.

“Dud,” Chrys said, a determined look in her eyes, “Take this and get us supplies,” she added, levitating the small pouch of bits Joy left them. Chrys then glanced to Momo, picking up her clutching with magic, getting a disappointed sigh from the tired changeling. “We're leaving in the morning, so get some rest, and tell whoever you were helping goodbye.”

“You assume I've lost?” Dud asked as he tilted his head, getting a proud laugh from the young queen.

“Like you had any chance against my clutchling! Now get going. I want us out of here as soon as we can!”

“Understood, Your Highness,” Dud replied with a sigh, his eyes meeting Momo's for a moment, before he flew off.

“...Dud said you ran off, did something happen?” Momo asked, getting a small nod from Chrys as they returned to their room.

“Yes. I found something very important.”

“You did? What was it?”

“Closure, and resolve.”

Author's Note:

Sometimes I wonder if adding so and so would push the story into T territory. In this case, it was the graves/cemetery. Then I recalled that I had attempted infanticide in the prelude, and character death in the first chapter.
...
I've been holding myself to the standard of 'Would this be in a Diesny film?' when considering if something goes too far for the Trioverse.

What do you think? I mean, clearly you don't mind, since you've made it this far...
Ugh, don't mind me, I think I'm just rambling at this point.

Anyways, I hope that you enjoyed the chapter. :twilightsmile: