• Published 30th Aug 2015
  • 305 Views, 5 Comments

After a Storm Comes a Rainbow - Lucy the Cyclone Light



It's autumn, 1500 years before Heart's Warming. Thunderstorm is a mare alicorn found in the woods of Durachia. Since her arrival, strange things began to happen. Is it all a coincidence or is she really sent there from the long lost Ghistal kingdom?

  • ...
 5
 305

Dreams, "hallucinations", and Thunderstorm

Another day. Another echo of a bell.

Riverstone woke up on his left side, and thought for a moment this was a reprise of yesterday.

Yet, every single day without heavy murderers being caught or a dozen of trade ships being stolen by pirates were a reprise.

Until yesterday.

Was it just a dream? They can appear very real sometimes.

He turned to his back and looked at the bordoe ceiling. He took a deep breath and played the whole day before inside his head.

He woke up, rose up the sun as he did every day, went to an early breakfast, and heard that a adult mare Pureblood was found.

And, at least he could say, she was beautiful. And that wouldn't be enough.

They heard a strange story about where she came from, and went to the library. To find out she is the last member of the seventh family. He knew about the seventh kingdom before, but his father always said it fell because of the family's arrogance. Who'd say it was burnt down by a pychopathic unicorn with a low self-esteem syndrome. Talk about the irony.

The evening, when he thought about it, was a cliché. Seriously, if somepony wrote a book about it and Riverstone read it, the plot that night would be... Way too coincidental. A bit too many orphans. He grinned and exhiled, then quickly got up.

He was on the balcony in blink of an eye. This early morning, the sky was dark, cloudy, starless, and the southern wind blew. Riverstone could smell rain in the air. The first signs pegasi decided to change the season to autumn. He didn't mind the clouds, he only needed to concentrate a bit more. The thing helping him was the thin moonlight's ray floating on the sea.

Riverstone's horn glew and he spread his wings. This morning was... A bit boring. Easy-going, there was no usual charm in the air. Maybe it was just the pre-cyclone depression syndrome. It affected almost everypony, and it was the main reason why all traders slacked off on such days. Their minds were simply "too sad" to make a good deal. Well, the sun was up already, Riverstone could feel where it was by his magic, and looked at the clouds once again. They really seemed like ponies, so he rubbed his eyes. Nope, still ponies. Probably a rare phenomenon. At least painters will have something to do.

He told his servants last night that they don't wake him up early. Even a king needs his beauty-sleep. He grinned from ear to ear, went into the room, closed the balcony and the curtains, and crawled into his bed. It was so, so warm under the red and golden kashmire. His head fell into the goose feathers of brown pillows, and he hugged one with his hooves. Riverstone felt like a colt. His mind was just shutting down when...

Knock, knock-knock

His left eye opened and twitched. This isn't funny anymore! If this wasn't a reprise, Riverstone didn't know what the hay it was.

"Your Majesty, Mr BlueCliff and Mr Cloudsweeper are here. They don't seem very happy. I told them you asked not to be woken early, but they insisted", Riverstone recognized Daisy Blossom's voice this time. Close enough.

He muttered more less the same sentence as yesterday while he was brushing his mane. He didn't even take the royal accessories off when he raised the sun, which should shorten his time getting to the... Dining room, he assumed.

But before, he needed to make sure Thunderstorm is fine. And that yesterday isn't repeating. If she was still sleeping, he won't wake her up. If she was awake, he'll show BlueCliff she isn't dangerous. Yes, she has a potential to be, but still...

He teleported to the top of the Right Tower. The door was closed, and no sounds were coming from the inside. He knocked. Nopony was answering. Well, he really wants to see her face. He quietly and slowly opened the door. There was nopony in the bed. Maybe she's in the bathroom?

"Thunderstorm!", he called her , "BlueCliff is here. I'd really like you to meet him." Still, no answer. Riverstone started to worry. He knew it wasn't polite, but he opened the bathroom door. It was empty, with no signs of being used at all. He thought he was starting to hallucinate. He looked trough the whole room, even under the bed. No trace of her.

This can't be happening, was he going crazy? He teleported to the kitchen. All the eight servants turned to him, gazing at him in surprise.

"Has anypony seen Thunderstorm?" Rivertone asked loudly.

Everypony remained silent, not a spoken word. Riverstone remembered: Only Rocky saw her!

"Never mind then, has anypony seen Rocky?"

One aqua earthpony stallion took a step forward and spoke: "You sent him on a vacation last night, your Majesty. From the last I heard from him, he went to his cousins in Salcabee." Now, Riverstone was mad. He growled and his horn flashed again.

He appeared in front of the castle, not even knowing why did he even teleport himself there. He rook a deep breath in. The air was filled with humidity, but warm, and it calmed him down. He rose his look to the sky. Cloud Ponies?!?!? Seriously?!?!


(Thunderstorm's room, third of a sunhour before)

Thunderstorm felt strange. She had a terrible headache, and barely slept at all. She rolled over and fell on the floor with an "ouch".

She slowly got up and shook her sore front left hoof. Outside, it was still night. Yet, the moon shone trough her window, partially blocked by the curtains, and the balcony was open. When she turned to make the bed, she saw it was tidy and straight, as if she never was there. Actually, the whole room looked like she was never in there! What was going on?!

Then, the door behind her opened with a loud slam. Thunderstorm's heart stopped for a moment. She carefully turned her head, afraid of what she could see. Six soldiers from the forest, the ones who captured her, rushed in the room. She took a step back as they surrounded her. She could see the ropes, the nets, the swords... She tried to use her protection magic, but she simply couldn't light a spark. Behind them stood Riverstone. He was just standing there, with a dismissive look in his eyes, starring at her like he didn't care. But he saved her! This is not true, it cannot be true!!

She curled up, shaking. The soldiers' eyes shone, their swords were flashing. The nets covered her, and just as she started to faint from the strange thing which was put around her horn, she heard his voice.

"Are you afraid?"

Thunderstorm's lungs filled as never in her life. She was in her bed, no strange noises, the moon was halfway to the horizon, and there were no threatening ponies. She was panting as if she just ran a full marathon. It was just a nightmare. Just. A. Nightmare. Still, the headache remained pounding just between her eyes. It was so strong she could barely open them. She exhaled, trying to calm down. The nightmare seemed so real, yet, shouldn't every dream feel the same?

She stretched her wings and spine, hearing quiet cracks in her back. She must've fallen asleep on the wrong side.

She stood up, for real this time. Her attention was drawn by the moon, too bright for her now sensitive eyes. She turned to the balcony and opened it. The air wasn't any warmer than before. Tho, the sea's scent slightly soothed her headache. Then, an idea came to her mind. She went out on the balcony, the cold wind played with her mane. Blue aura spiraled around her horn as the wind changed direction. She jumped and spread her wings, gracefully gliding in the air. Her wings flapped once, and again, rising her for a meter up. She smiled, it was such a wonderful feeling to fly, especially when her spell showed the first signs of its efficiency.

The wind now blew from the sea, warmer and more moist. The clouds also appeared as she landed beneath the Right Castle. Wow, it worked even better than she could imagine. Somehow, the first and the largest cloud was shaped like a pony. Thunderstorm giggled. She lay on the soft grass. The atmosphere was so calm, like an early day like this one should be. She continued the game, carefully shaping every cloud. Her first tries were clumsy, mostly because the clouds were so far, but she made the wind strong.... Soon she could exactly shape the manes of random ponies she made up. The just risen sun also helped. At one moment, she caught herself arranging Riverstone's crown. She blushed, wondering if anypony else saw it. Although, she had to admit he was a handsome colt.... but why did he appear in her nightmare?

"Thunderstorm, it's just a dream. Get over it, you bum", she spoke to herself.

While trying to erase just the star-shaped jewel, accidentally ripped trough her whole cloud-painting! She grunted and frowned. She has no more will do start the whole thing once again. But there was one thing she noticed - her headache was gone. Not that it comforted her a lot.

A sound of cantering hooves, muted by the grass, made her ears twitch. Who was that? Before you could say "cookie", a pair of emerald green hooves was braking next to her, tearing out the grass and spilling the earth around.

"Where have you been? I've searched the whole castlefor you, and now the servants think I'm crazy. You got me really worried!" It was a familiar voice, a bit angry, and he was breathing quickly. He ran a long way around the castle, and he was very, very stressed out.

"I even started to hallucinate! There were cloud ponies all over the place!!!" he continued.

Ooooops, she thought, but remained silent.

Riverstone's face then turned sad; "I am sorry for yelling at you, but BlueCliff is here, and the least thing I need right now is him moaning about how I shouldn't bring you here. Now, would you please come to the dining room? We are already late for breakfast, the servants are going to ask questions and plead me to give them my shoes to be washed." He looked at his horseshoes. The clear silver got scratched and dirty, at some places green too. Thunderstorm nodded and stood up. They started to walk, Riverstone in front. Again her weird silence. Great. He grunted again.

She didn't say a word, yet why would she? There was nothing to be answered to. He simply would like to hear if she likes the castle, the room, everything.... Or her voice in general. She probably has her own reasons....But why didn't he just ask her?

"So... how do you like the castle?" he said serenely. They were about two hundred meters away from the door.

"Hm?", Thunderstorm, 'till then lost in her empty mind, "Oh, yes, I like it very much. Thank you very much for asking.... and letting me stay." At that moment their dialogue ended, and Riverstone felt bad and awkward again.

"Are you afraid of me?" he asked her, a bit unsure why.

Thunderstorm suddenly stopped. She was shocked. This couldn't be. She was already suspicious when he mentioned BlueCliff, the one of the soldiers who captured her, now... She completely lost her appetite, if she had any. The voice in her head which encouraged her "That was just a dumb nightmare" had gone silent. Then, her sight caught about five or six guardians in front of her castle. She summoned her magic and dig her hooves into the ground. She won't approach them, Riverstone can't make her. Is it possible he wants to get rid of her? If so, she is NOT coming to that cave again. She felt stupid for her superstition, but she had this feeling... she wanted... she needed to attack!

Then she started to loose control over herself.

Riverstone noticed her trot stopped. Was she alright? Does she feel uncomfortable with seeing BlueCliff? Possible, he is the stallion who led the guardians when they patrolled trough the forest. His thinking slightly changed when he saw her face: it was angry, if not wrathful. Blue flares of pure, powerful magic circled around her head. She was still as a statue, with her wings spread. Riverstone bowed, and his ears lowered. She looked very authoritative, scary, and he simply was stunned by her sudden change of appearance. What in the kingdoms was she thinking?

"Thunderstorm, what are you doing? Please calm down, whatever it is, I can probably settle it", he rose his front right hoof, bent in the knee. He didn't notice the guards, or that they were running towards them. Thunderstorm literally showed her teeth and roared. The sky immediately filled with black, rainy clouds and lightnings flashed on their bottoms. It seemed to give her even more energy, her magical mane now burst like fire, rising like being carried by a storm's wind. Maybe it even was, because Riverstone could barely stand on his feet, he was almost blown off along with the grass by the force coming from her. Now the flares revolved her horn so fast they turned to spheres.

"Thunderstorm, end this! What is it that you want?!" He shouted. He didn't know she couldn't hear him. The only thing she was seeing was threat, there were ponies around her, shouting, hurting her. Her iris changed from blue to red, the whites were now green,and sickly purple smoke was coming out of them. Just at that moment the unicorn guards stepped in front of him and their horns glew. Ropes appeared in the air and in a blink of an eye wrapped around Thunderstorm. Is that what she was afraid of? The guards? Would make sense, though. Riverstone shouted to the guards to step away, and, what a miracle, they did. The ropes were enchanted, but they were no match for her magic. She got free a moment after the soldiers retreated. Riverstone struggled forward against the wind, until he was in front of her. She was breathing heavily, although she didn't look as angry as before. The wind calmed down, and Riverstone could speak normally. As if she didn't have courage to fight him. Her eyes were rapidly changing colour in flashes, from red to blue, until Riverstone couldn't recognize her. The last thunder just broke the fading noise. Thunderstorm also broke and fell on the ground. The sky was clear in mere moments, and her terrible headache returned. Punching her brain and forehead, as if it was a mad cat scratching the furniture and tearing the curtains. She can't attack the pony who helped her!
But he wants to get rid of you, doesn't he?
No! It's not true, it can't be!
Rrrroagh! Why are you so stubborn?!

"Thunderstorm, if you were afraid of the guards, don't worry, you WON'T go back to the Prison. You haven't done anything wrong", he said calmly. He doesn't want her back there, nopony deserves such punishment unless he or she can be helped.

"Until now", Riverstone frowned. BlueCliff's strict voice grinded his ears. The unicorn came to Rivertstone. Riverstone grunted for who knows which time in the same day. The second last thing he needs now is stress.

"This was a serious attack, Alicorn, and an assault towards His Majesty." BlueCliff grinned. How in the world could he grin in such a situation? Riverstone knew he didn't like Thunderstorm since she was found, but an assault, especially on the king, is a serious crime!...

Thunderstorm took a deep breath in and out. She felt like her head is going to explode. The soft grass made it a little bit weaker, though. What a change... Why was she feeling this way? Did she eat something bad? If herself in the head with a boulder, it wouldn't be much different. She felt like blacking out, and in the end... Everything around her shut down.

"Your Majesty, your breakfast is waiting, then we can discuss what to do with.... Her", BlueCliff's teeth crunched.

"We'll take her with us, and for the last time, BlueCliff, her name is Thunderstorm!" Riverstone knew Blue wouldn't agree. He wanted Thunderstorm to trust him, and nopony would be happy not to attend their judgement. Or whatever this was supposed to be. Thunderstorm reacted aggressively to something, and now, she laid on the grass.... While a few moments before ready to shroud the sky in eternal storms. Riverstone believed she could actually do it.

BlueCliff frowned, and glanced at Thunderstorm. No matter how much he disliked her, he was still to old-fashioned to talk back to the king.

"But first... I think Thunderstorm is hurt, we need to find SweetGum. Everypony deserves to hear what he or she has been accused for", Rivertone said. Thunderstorm was in pain, her face was contorted, purple smoke was steaming from her eyes and... When Riverstone put his hoof on her, he felt the fever trough his horseshoes. No.

How could it be? She is supposed to be immortal, for Galaxy's sake!

Now he was scared.

"Find SweetGum, quickly! She is very ill!" he screamed.

Three guards galloped to the castle as fast as their feet could carry them. Riverstone lay on his knees in front of her. He put his front hoof on her neck and gently shook it, calling her name.

"Thunderstorm? Thunderstorm, please, wake up! Are you there? Thunderstorm?", then he spoke to BlueCliff ,"If you have to do anything with this now, I swear I will lock you in the Prison myself!" Riverstone never knew he cared about her so much. He met her a day ago, but still he was almost crying over a stranger. A gorgeous stranger, that was true.

He heard four pairs of hooves galloping. SweetGum came, along with a guard. Shortly said, she was a middle aged pale pink unicorn with a curled cyan mane and orange eyes. All in all, she was coloured like a pony-sized candy.

'"Your Majesty, I ran faster than the wind", she looked at Thunderstorm , "Is that her? Wait, she... She is a Pureblood?"

"Yes she is. Yadayadayada, a long story. Can you help her?" Riverstone wasn't in the mood for being patient.

"I... I think I can, Your Majesty", Sweetgum opened the sack tied to her back, and pulled out a long white piece of cloth, along with two foldable sticks. She pulled the sticks trough the holes on the edges of the cloth. An instant carrycot. But when she finished it, she was not smiling.

"I am sorry, Your Majesty, I didn't know she is an alicorn, I am afraid this is too small for her."

"Don't worry, just examine her, and I'll see what I can do", Riverstone wasn't quite sure he'll succeed. He stood up and levitated the carrycot to himself. Just a day ago, Thunderstorm said she doesn't need one.He gathered all his strength and took a deep breath in, trying to remember the spell he never really learned to use. His horn flashed white instead of the usual purple. Magic and talent are two very strange things, how come he can rise the celestial bodies, but can't enlarge a cloth and two long sticks?

A ray of his magical aura hit his goal. He just needed a bit more of it...

An explosion threw Riverstone three spans away. He fell on his back, but gratefully, nor his spine or wings were broken. Yet, he was feeling powerless. The static left from the spell flied around him. Riverstone had a really hard time getting up, when two guards came to help him.

"Did it work?" He asked

"Yes, Your Majesty", the two guards said at once.

Riverstone smiled and laughed. Finally, spell no.5 is done!

He was too exhausted to light even a spark, so every guard (including BlueCliff, who wasn't very happy about curing a criminal) rose Thunderstorm on the carrycot. Riverstone had some scratches on his wings, back and legs, so SweetGum convinced him to stay. She was washing the scratches with little and liquor.

"Sorry, Your Majesty, but I've spent most of it on Thunderstorm. She has a serious fever, although I'm not sure what disease it is", she said , "Now, this may hurt a little...." She spilled some alcohol on a wound that was bleeding.A little, she said?

"Aghs!!!", He grumbled trough his teeth , "Is that it?"

"It will be, Your Majesty, as soon as I tie this around your leg", another piece of cloth, on which she spilled alcohol. Riverstone's skin started to burn as soon as it came in touch with the alcohol, but he bore it this time. He galloped at full speed to the castle immediately after she tied the knot.

SweetGum smiled: "Royals these days....."


Thunderstorm's headache stopped. Actually, she wasn't cold anymore and she felt MUCH better!

The real panic came up when she opened her eyes. She saw nothing, heard nothing, smelled nothing, touched... Nothing.... What? Is she blind? Deaf? All together?

But... She wasn't. When she looked down, she saw her legs above the blackness. No, wait, that wasn't black, it wasn't white either.... It wasn't... Anything. It was simply void. Void all around her. Is it possible she is dead?

"Awe, come on! Seriously?! I don't even get twenty-four sunhours of life I can remember????" She yelled in anger. Well, she at least heard her voice echo trough.... Nothing. She really wanted to kick something, but of course, that was a problem.

She spread her wings, wondering if she could fly. She didn't feel any resistance, as if air didn't exist either. But she was breathing, and she was.... Floating. Probably. She tried anyway, moving her hooves at the same time, trying to run. After a while of effortless work, light appeared far away, and it motivated her to go on. It was becoming bigger, and bigger, and brighter...and voices... She was hearing somepony! Not one pony, but a dozen of them! The voices were both sad, and joyful, and angry, and comforting, tired and hyperactive, all at once! And they... They seemed so familiar...who were those ponies?

She slowed her pace. The light was coming from a ball as big as her, and it was made of... Pictures?

Yes, those were pictures, and full scenes. With those ponies in them! In the largest one was a big, black mare, flying with two foals above the clouds. One was big indigo colt, with a silver floating mane and lavender eyes, flying faster than the other two, but in the background. The other one was a grey filly with a pale yellow, plain mane. She was small, and a blank-flank. The thing they all shared was a unicorn horn and pegasi wings. Thunderstorm liked the scene. All three were laughing, but it was one short scene, constantly repeating. Was that.... her memory? She wanted to step into it...

When her hoof touched the surface of the shining ball, it started to shiver. The scenes froze, and the voices faded. Thunderstorm removed her hoof from the ball. And a bell rang.

Not the bell that wakes Riverstone up every day, not that soft, pleasing sound. This was a midnight bell, which echoes in your ears for a long time and calls the nightmares to dance in pony tales for naughty foals. It already echoed five times.

On the sixth echo, a white, long hall with pillars appeared.

On the seventh echo, the black mare and the two foals dissapeared from the picture, leaving just the blue sky and the white clouds.

On the eighth, the ball burst and the energy threw Thunderstorm into one of the pillars. She screamed and fell on the tiled floor.

When Thunderstorm opened her eyes, the tenth echo started. The ball divided itself into hundreds of frames and squares, all laying on the floor which was blackening, as if something was burning under it. The black spot was spreading quickly and soon reached Thunderstorm's hooves. She instinctively jumped from the burning tiles. Some even melted because of the heat.

When the eleventh echo stroke, she heard somepony calling her from the other part of the hall. She turned her head.

It was Riverstone, forty-five meters away.

"Thunderstorm!" he shouted.

Before she could reply, the heat changed its way. Instead of the huge, black, spreading spot, it changed in a dark snake and was crawling really fast towards Riverstone, so hot the floor boiled and collapsed into nothingness.

"Watch out!'' She screamed. The twelfth bell rang.

The snake was halfway there, the floor exploded and dark red goo filled the air like a fountain. It was crystal clear it was lava. It was moving at its own will, and then took form of an enormous ram, four times higher than Thunderstorm. She was terrified. Will he hurt them?

The ram opened his white eyes, with no iris, no pupil, no soul. He turned his ugly head to Thunderstorm. Steam was unstoppably smoking from his nostrils in such tensity, the clouds formed above his head. He was trotting heavily, melting and breaking the tiles like glass with each stomp of his rocky hooves. When he was no more than two feet from her,he spoke:

"Choose", his voice was powerful, loud, and rough. Thunderstorm never heard anything like it. Yet she knew what he meant.

The ram rose his head high. His horns burst to flames, pillars of fire were shooting upwards.

She galloped as the pillars turned to solid stones and fell. Creating a magical shield, she protected the thing she valued the most at that moment. The air filled with ashes made her cough, she was blind for a while. When the air cleared, a magical wave ignored her protection spell and both her and Riverstone were shoved for a yard backwards.


The mare was confused. Why was she holding a magical shield?

She looked around. Where was she? What was she doing there? What just happened? The whole place looked burnt and full of ashes. Strange.

She heard a loud stomp and her eyes focused on a big, ugly ram standing above her. Who was he?

"Hi, sir, I'm....", wait.... who was SHE?

The ram laughed out loud so powerfully the whole hall shook. For a moment the mare thought it will fall apart. That ram was very strange. The mare didn't believe he would be of any help. Maybe it was the other way around.

"Look, sir, I really don't have time for whatever game you are playing. I have a feeling I have to get out of here, and fast. Now, would you help me?" she said. She SERIOUSLY wasn't in the mood for any kind of game.

"But of course, you will, as soon as we get rid of HIM", the ram's hoof was pointing at a green alicorn stallion the mare hasn't seen before , "He is a threat, and needs to be get rid of. Could you do it instead of me, please?"

"You mean... I need to kill him?" the mare didn't kill anypony else in her.... well, in these past few moments. The wall grew behind the frightened pony. He was leaning on it, but knew there was no escape. Only despair could be seen in his eyes.

"What kind of crime has this pony committed to be sentenced to death?" The mare was getting suspicious. Why would she do such a thing if she didn't know what did the pony do? What if the ram was lying?

"He murdered your family and tried to kill you", the ram said.

The mare frowned and glared at the ram's white, flaming eyes: "And what proof do you have? I don't remember anypony.... At all. Why should I trust you?"

"You are a stubborn mare", the ram grinned , "Let's just say I'm your friend, but, if you don't believe..." a ray of light came from the ram's forehead and stroke the floor, creating a moving image. At first, it was blurry and colorless, but it soon sharpened to a point it seemed so realistic the mare thought it is happening now.

The green stallion was holding a knife, and slowly walked to a dark corner where three alicorns stood, shaking. A black, big mare, an indigo stallion, and her. The moving image was short, and just as the green stallion rose his knife, it dissapeared.

"After that he erased your memory and brought you here. Luckily, I followed him", the ram smiled.

She was angry and confused. There is no way she could know it was her family who was protecting her, and even if so, she has been "alive" for barely a sunhour's twentieth. Why would they mean anything to her?

Yet, the pony committed a murder. He was already judged, and needs to be punished. She guessed, it was common sense.

"All right, then", the mare said and walked to the stallion until she was just a few hooves away , "What's your name, stallion? I think I deserve to know the name of the pony who I am condemning."

"My name is Riverstone", he said. There was something strange about that name. Yet the mare couldn't find a reason why. There was this feeling, maybe intuition... But nevermind that.

She smiled shrewdly and rose her head. Her horn sparkled blue as she created a magical sword.

The ram laughed as the sword flew to Riverstone's neck. The mighty mare had only cold determination in her eyes, an emotionless face hadn't changed while the she brandished the razor-sharp sword...

And it was all done.

No blood, but plenty of painful screams filled the air as the ram's head fell on the burnt floor, and his body melted to lava. Because in the last moment the mare swung the sword in the other direction, and with a black wisp of Riverstone's mane still on it, beheaded the liar.

Both the mare and Riverstone then faced his true form.

An orange, tall unicorn emerged from the flames, his red eyes were showing nothing but wrath, and the smoke behind him swirled around him. It was changing. Into horses. Black, a bit transparent horses, and a whole army of them.

"You are going to pay for this", the unicorn said. Dark purple and green fire burnt on his horn , "Attack!"

The whole army marched forwards, the horses neighed loudly, their hooves clopped so mightly the hall shook and the pillars fell. If they fell on horses, they would simply turn to thin air and then re-appear. The unicorn pointed his horn towards them. A blast of dark magic was heading straight to the spot where the two ponies stood.

The mare pushed Riverstone behind herself and galloped, letting go enormous amounts of pure power, destroying the unicorn's troops and blocking the unicorn's deadly rays. She had no success. Horses were made of smoke, invulnerable. She saw no danger in them at first, but she soon realized what was their true intention. It wasn't crushing their opponent, nor wounding anypony, but something far more exhausting and painful. Every time she took a breath, they choked her, making her cough and stumble. Soon her attacks became weaker and weaker, and she couldn't breathe. Shields were useless, they could creep trough the cracks, and up, the situation was much worse. The horses were running around her, not letting her have a single piece of fresh air. She began to feel tired, bloodless, and very, very cold. Her knees were shaking, as the cruel horses blocked her lungs. Their neighs began to fade in her ears, her sight was blurry, and when she fell, she hadn't felt any pain. She felt like... Dying. Trough all that chaos, she heard somepony shouting.

"Thunderstorm! Agh-Cagh! Thunder-!!" Whose name was that? Hers, maybe?

She used the last bits of her strength to rise on her legs. This was the unicorn's plan? Just to kill that pony? But why? Why did he need her?

She flapped her wings once, she flapped her wings twice, and flew just below the plain white ceiling. The unicorn was prepared to strike again, she saw the fire gathering around him.

She somehow now breathed much easier. She looked down, and then behind herself. Under her, the horses were rising, and behind....

Riverstone was struggling with a dozen of them, fighting with all of his might. But his magic was not even close to the mare's, and he was no match for the demons. Something started to burn inside her, she wanted to protect him...and she listened to her heart's beat.

The mare soared down, with her winds flapping enough strong to make the horses dissolve in the air for a few moments. She came to him.

"Who am I?" She asked him.

Riverstone rose his tired gaze and smiled. It was a smile of a desperate pony, who knows there is no way out of this, but still keeps fighting.

"You are Thunderstorm, a Pureblood alicorn found in the woods, and the last member of the royal Ghistal's family, and I....."


Thunderstorm was lying on a bed in the emergency room. She was breathing heavily and irregularly. Her fever was getting only worse. SweetGum put some ice on her forehead and closed the emergency bag. She, who was known as an always cheerful pony, looked depressed.

"I am sorry, Your Majesty, but I don't think she will survive the day. I have never seen an illness this strong in my twenty years of work", she said.

Riverstone was sitting next to Thunderstorm's right shoulder. She shivered every once in a while, and was hotter than melting iron. He bit his lower lip, trying to stop himself from breaking into tears.

Somehow, although he met her yesterday, he had a feeling he knew her his whole life. It's strange, you sometimes get used to things that have been here for only a short time, like a beautiful orchid in the garden. And there are some things you don't like, and therefore never get used to them. If she was a flower, Riverstone guessed, she would be a morning glory. Lasts only for a day, but is so gorgeous, that you never want it to wither.

SweetGum excused herself, and left the room. A tear fell from Riverstone's eye on Thunderstorm's magical mane, which stopped waving around since she blacked out.

She wasn't conscious, and she might soon die. Riverstone laid his head down on her soft mane, and whispered:

"Please don't die. I know I just met you , but I.... I think I love you." He knew it was too late.


When Thunderstorm heard those words, something crawled back into her mind. The horses screamed as three bright, shining rays of light floated and moved. They were thin and and weak, but nevertheless, even the unicorn panicked when they flew past him.

"No!!! What is happening?! This CANNOT happen!!" He shouted.

Those were the remains of her memories, and when they touched her, she gasped.

"I...remember", she said. Thunderstorm screamed in anger and a new kind of strength entered her body. She turned to the black army. Her whole body lifted from the ground without her even opening her wings. Waves of her energy flurried the air, rising the dust from the floor, and destroying the horses. Her eyes glew white, and the sound of thunder filled the hall when a lightning stroke the ground right in front of her, dividing the hall in two, with nothing but void in between. All the smoke-horses stood on the other side, too afraid to cross a two spans wide hole. The unicorn was also there, on the edge of the crack.

"You Windigos just can't get the job done", he said and grinned , "Never mind. Old Pyros will solve everything, as always."

A wave of dark magic consumed the screaming horses. Thunderstorm felt empathy for them. They haven't ever chosen this kind of life.

A wave then rushed on Thunderstorm and Riverstone, swirled and hardened around them both. Pyros thought his job was finally done.

A beam of light, coming from the inside cracked the stone and dissolved it. Thunderstorm broke trough what was supposed to choke her. Now, she rose even higher than before. She was rampant, and a wish for vengeance took over her mind.

"Pyros, you have destroyed my home, my family, and because of you, I was sent far away from my home, into a place unknown to me. And now, you try to KILL ME?!", she said. You met Riverstone, 'though, whispered a voice inside her head.

"Your terror ends now!" She shouted, and this time, there was no shield, fortress, or shelter that could resist this new magic which burnt inside her.

A blue inferno blasted from her horn and consumed Pyros. He didn't shrill. He laughed maniacally, and these were the last words Thunderstorm heard before he was gone:

"You will never get away from me! Do you hear me? This is not a threat, it's a promise!"

On the place where he stood, now was only a pile of ashes.

Thunderstorm descended. She was shocked, and couldn't feel her legs. She felt... powerful, and that scared her. She starred at the other side of the hole she made, and fell on her knees. Nothing was on the other side. No threat, even the burnt floor ''healed'' after the demon dissapeared. Everything was silent.

The hall echoed when Riverstone walked to her.

''I love you too'', Thunderstorm whispered with her eyes closed.

She was more than surprised when Riverstone kissed her on the lips.


Riverstone rose his head when he felt the mane moving. He looked at her. Her eyes slowly opened, and she was smiling. She was smiling!

''Thunderstorm! You're alive!'' he shouted happily.

''Wha-What? I was dying?!'' she rapidly lifted herself into a sitting position. Breaking news: This day is getting more and more crazy. Yet, not so breaking news since yesterday. Anyroad, wasn't death the first thing she thought of when she awakened in that void?

''Well, pretty much, yes. But I'm so glad SweetGum wasn't right'', he said. He pronto wiped his face with his hoof, so she couldn't see he was crying. He honestly hoped she didn't see that movement.

Thunderstorm's eyes narrowed. ''Who is SweetGum?''

''You'll meet her. She thought you are not going to survive the day.''

''I guess I was in a bad condition then'', and a few hours ago she thought he wanted to get rid of her. Thunderstorm noticed something; her headache was gone! That made her smile even wider. She ignored the fact she just had a dream of somepony desiring to kill her. At least, she believed it was a dream. She woke up in an ambulance bed, so it was probably just a hallucination. And the last part she is certainly not telling anypony.

She carefully went down, still a bit dizzy. She shook her head and slightly unfolded her wings. Much better.

As they exited the room, she saw Riverstone was sad.

"Your Majesty, why are you frowning?" She asked

"It's... Before you got sick, you went completely mad and attacked some guards, and eventually, me. BlueCliff was there, he doesn't like you at all, and he thought you should be banished for what you've done", he answered with an unhappy tone in his voice.

Thunderstorm's heart skipped. No, she wouldn't harm anypony, would she? She remembered losing control, but after that, her memories simply blurred into that hall. And she couldn't possibly hurt Riverstone!
"But-but I...", she bent her head. This was very bad.

She was stressed, yet kept walking, although anxiety was felt in her pace.

She quickly recognized the path they were going. They were heading to the left wing of the castle, and the only room she ever visited there was the dining room. Come to think of it, what time was it? How long was she unconscious? She couldn't believe Riverstone missed two breakfasts (and if they don't hurry up, two lunches) two days in a row. That was... A bit funny.

They entered the dining room. And, close to the king's chair, sat a not so pleasant surprise for Riverstone. And some bad news for Thunderstorm.

"BlueCliff", Riverstone grunted for ghosts-know-which time this day , "Who invited you?"

"Your Majesty, I did not know you dislike me so much. There is a case for the royal court that needed to be observed", BlueCliff said, sounding as if he was royalty himself , "And, oh, look, Thunderstorm is here. I think this involves you, too."

''She was almost dying! How can you be so insensitive?'' Riverstone said firmly.

''I am sorry, your Majesty, but she still committed a crime against you and some of my guards. A dozen of traders claim they've seen an evil dragon attacking the castle, and above all, your Majesty knows the story will just keep being exaggerated by other ponies'', BlueCliff had a point, and Riverstone hated that.

''If she is not judged, and you want to keep her in this land, there will be problems regarding the residents. They will protest against a 'monster' you are keeping, and a probable 'cult' your Majesty has with the Hell. You know how superstitious ponies can be in these days'', he continued.

I am here too, Thunderstorm almost said out loud. Still, she wanted to spare Riverstone the stress, at least for a while.

She stepped forward.

''It's all right. I am not sick anymore, and I agree to be judged, Sir BlueCliff. I don't quite understand what happened this morning, but I'm sure we can settle it easier with our stomachs full", Riverstone glanced at her shortly. She was or very ignorant or naturally very good at diplomacy.

"Please, have a seat, Your Majesty", said the yellow unicorn servant and pulled the king's chair out. He shortly starred at Thunderstorm. Truly, there were rumors in the castle about a Pureblood, but SoapBubble never actually saw her!

Thunderstorm seated herself, at the same spot as the last evening. BlueCliff wasn't amused for sitting opposite of her. His intolerance towards her was a bit frustrating. For every single pony in the room. Even for SoapBubble, who sneaked out of the room at his hooftips after serving food and drinks - grape juice, fried apples with some tomato sauce and rice. It tastes better than it sounds.

The lunch passed in a tense silence, occasionally with slurping or gulps.

Riverstone's fork was the last one to clank on his porcelain plate. Both Thunderstorm and BlueCliff were staring at him sharply, which made Riverstone a bit nervous. He cleaned his throat, clapped with his hooves to call the servants, and said:

''Shall we begin?'' what a stupid question.

BlueCliff's horn flashed and a few sheets of paper appeared. That pony was serious about this.

''Thunderstorm, have you ill-used magic upon somepony this early morning?'' he said droningly, sounding as objectively as he could be. So, he was the judge, Rivertone was the attorney, or the witness (probably), and Thunderstorm was charged. This was the strangest court Riverstone has ever seen. Then it was Thunderstorm's turn to speak.

''Yes, Your Majesty, but...'' Riverstone had a feeling she is teasing BlueCliff on purpose.

''Have you assaulted Riverstone, king of Durachia?''

''I have, but...'' Thunderstorm was getting angry.

''Have you controlled the weather, at your will, without the permission of the pegasi?''

That one was true. ''Yes.''

''Are there any objections regarding these charges?''

''Mine'', Riverstone raised his hoof , ''Let her stand for herself.''

BlueCliff huffed, but said nothing. Thunderstorm carefully glanced at both of them. She has no intention to speak of her dream, that would make them think she's crazy. If that's not true too.

''I simply lost control. When I tried to perform a simple protection spell, I lost control of my magic. Then I got a terrible headache, and I blacked out.''

Riverstone was disappointed. She could've tried a little bit better. This way...

''That's what they all say, and you're lucky I'm not accusing you for lying now'', BlueCliff hissed bitterly ''The mildest possible punishment would be a restraint from the castle, and putting you to the Criminal District."

No matter how much Riverstone wanted Thunderstorm to stay in the castle, there was nothing much he could do. Rules are rules, judgement is judgement, and he himself knew the laws. BlueCliff was right. It was the mildest decision under these circumstances and accusations. He stood up, his eyes tight shut. He wasn't very glad for what he needed to say.

"If that's all, I here by now close this case. Thunderstorm, you have the restraint to visit the castle, and

Send you to the Criminal District. You'll live there until it's decided otherwise."

Thunderstorm crouched. She didn't want to leave, but she had to. Well...

"Every house and cottage in the District has its own garden, she'd, and a food supply which should last long enough for the crops to grow. You will have the comfort most ponies have, except you won't be allowed to go out of the steel-wire wall. Teleportation isn't allowed, as well as any more complicated spells, such as creating and attacking spells. Minor defense magic is allowed, and as a matter of security, you will have to hide your wings", BlueCliff recited.

Thunderstorm didn't feel comfortable for the part about hiding her alicorn status, but she nodded in agreement. As if there was a better choice. And besides, she'll have something to do.... The only thing worrying her was how long she'll need to stay there.

The preparations began immediately. Four bags of seed (wheat, corn, apples and carrots) were put in a two-wheeled wagon, meant to be pulled by one pony. Thunderstorm's clothes was a trickier term when the topic came up. Luckily, she had some tricks in her sleeve.

She enlarged an old peasant's clothes, and simply put it on. It was more of a dress, and it took only a bow to conceal her tail. She tied her magical mane around her neck with a red polka-dotted shawl, which mostly hid her mane's waving. The dots were, predictably, white.

When the straps were tied around her neck and connected to the wagon, it was only a sunhour from the sunset. Riverstone was watching as SoapBubble and Skyline, another servant, tied the leather straps around Thunderstorm's graceful neck. Most alicorns would find it very degrading to pull a wagon. But, she didn't know the traditions, and wasn't quite "royal" except for her origins and birthright, so to say. No crown, no horseshoes, no necklace. No memories of her life. So try to prove somepony as pessimistic as BlueCliff she isn't a fake.

He wasn't permitted to follow her, because walking with a criminal would "hurt his royal dignity". That stupid hierarchy.

With sadness in his eyes, he watched her from the Left Tower as she walked away, becoming smaller and smaller in his perspective, along with two guards he couldn't remember seeing before. The District was around a mile away, and when she was far enough from the castle so he couldn't recognize the details ( he just began the sunset, so a lack of sunlight also took its toll on his eyes), the shining wire around her horn seemed like a distant blue star. He hoped to see it once again one day.

"What a déjà-vu", he whispered as the moon rose behind him.

Author's Note:

(wing)Span: around 15 hooves, 9 feet, three meters. Wingspan of an average pureblood
Gall: 800 meters, a minute of galloping at full speed (give or take five seconds)
Sorry for the huge delay, the school also takes its tool on my free-time.
And, as I promised, the maps

[img] http://i.imgur.com/ejXQvBy.jpg[/img]