• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 56,742 Views, 2,207 Comments

New Beginnings - Hiver



A magical accident have a human end up in Equestria in the form of a unicorn.

  • ...
69
 2,207
 56,742

Chapter 7


Day 62


Yay. I have a job.

Not the best job in the world, I'll admit... but even so, it beat the hell out of waiting tables.

I checked around and there was an opening at one of the local bookstores. It wasn't much, just basically stocking and manning (is that still the right word?) the counter.

It also paid double of what I got from the government. I would be able to eat out some, buy some books... even some clothes.

Also, if the three days I'd worked there so far was anything to go by, I'd have about... five hours of work to do each day. The rest of the time can be spent reading, researching or... maybe I'll take up writing again.

Using a pen sucks compared to a computer keyboard, but it is also very good practice with the entire 'horn' thing.

It's... really hard to describe how it feels to use it. If you are an Earth Pony or a Pegasus (or other species) reading this at least, you have no idea what I mean. Unicorns, you know exactly what I mean.

It's like... covering the item you want to manipulate with this energy and you can feel it from all directions at once. Moving it is moving the energy and the item kind of... floats along. Getting the fine control needed to write this took over a month!

Speaking of clothes, I just realized I had not worn any for... I suppose sixty-two days. That's really fucking odd, I'll tell you.

You ponies have no idea, humans wear clothes all the time. Back home, they are not luxury items. You see, humans don't have fur, like I told you before.

But there's also other things involved, such as cultural nudity taboos. But what struck me earlier today was... I didn't miss them. Not really.

I'm covered in fur.

Now, realizing you are walking around naked when in the middle of the street might not have been the best idea.

I could have had better timing with tha-


XXXXXXXXXX


“Page! Did you get the newest Daring Doo stocked yet?”

I looked up from my journal where I was writing on the counter. “Fully stocked, White Quill.” I answered, looking over at the older pegasus that owned the store, “I did notice that we are missing the second book in stock though.”

He grunted. “I'll order a new batch. I'll be in the office if you need any help.”

“Thanks boss, but I think I have this.”

Quill hmm-ed but nodded. “Believe you do.” before he moved back into the stacks and into the office, half closing the door behind him. I looked after him for a moment before I returned to my journal.


XXXXXXXXXX

-t.

If the text just changed a bit, it's because my new boss wanted to check if I had the latest Daring Doo book stocked. It's quite popular, actually.

I tried reading them, but they were more of a 'Young Adult' kind of adventure series. While well written, I personally found the story somewhat simplistic, at least in the books I have read thus far.

Perhaps I would compare them to the 'Harry Potter' books back home in that way. Meant for the same age group and everything, mixed in with Indiana Jones for the actual type of stories. Not that that would mean anything to anyone reading this... if anyone is.

Man, you've got to be bored to sink this low.

...Where was I?

Oh yeah, I was thankful for White Quill for hiring me. It was rather sad, actually. His wife used to run the store with him, but... she passed away. She handled the books and counter while he did the bookkeeping and ordering part of it.

So he needed somepony new to handle the store part of the equation. I didn't really have any recommendations or, really, any references or experience, but he gave me a shot.

Something I would always be thankful for.

Speaking of books, I have thought of translating some that I remember. Celestia had to go in the middle of my story to return to the court, but Luna listened to the end and really seemed to quite like it.

Basically, stealing the plot of Star Wars and rewriting it in book form, adapted for this world with the Death Star being a flying island and stuff felt a little scummy... but not like Lucas would ever find out. And it was a good story.

I could always give him credit in an 'Inspired by' note in the back or someth-


XXXXXXXXXX


The bell above the door plinged and I looked up, closing the journal and putting the quill away, smiling at the pink unicorn mare who walked inside. “Hello! Welcome to Quill and Quill. What can I help you with?”

“Yes please. I'm looking for the new Daring Doo book?” she asked as she approached the counter.

“This way, please.”